Land Down Under (KJDarKnight & Treasure)

She smiled back at him, she really did brighten up just being around the moss and other plants "If we are staying here then I think we should" Faelar answered and glanced at Justira gave a nod to her brother in agreement but looked at Gray again "As long as I am with you I'll feel safe" all the movement and people the day before had been a bit much but she had been so tired and nervous, she felt much more relaxed now

--

Pepper emerged from the room she had been sharing with Peter the night before, MAthias was still asleep.

"Everything ok there Badru?" she asked

"Then I will show you around. There is not much you need to know, but the quiet paths to places like the market are useful, and there are places you should avoid," Gray told them. "I think I would suggest shoes, but you can see if you need them or not." He moved to leave the house once again.

~~

Badru looked down at the small woman named after a spicy plant. "Yes," he stated. "Is quiet. Is not danger."

"Quiet paths are good but I'll stick with no shoes I.." she stared but Faelar nudged her to get her to stop, she flushed and looked away "Ya quiet paths are best, specially fer us I think, used to uh, much smaller places an all" Faelar finished instead and smiled "Thanks fer showin us the ropes"

--

Pepper nodded "That's not what I meant" she said "Are you happy down here?" she asked to clarify what she was asking him

Gray dipped his head then led the way out toward the city. He did not talk as they walked, letting the twins take in the sites, not rushing them as he guided them to the quieter street into the city. The market was busy, and there was not much he could do about that, but he stayed close, showing them how to navigate the flow. He spent only a short time there then led the way along, showing them the easier areas.

~~

Badru did not know the word for what he was. He thought for a moment before replying. "I am not not happy," he said slowly. He paused for a moment longer. "I am... free?" He did not mean it in a positive sense.

Faelar seemed more interested and excited about the market and all of it really, Justira looked around but seemed rather jumpy in the market to the point she stared at the ground and hugged her brothers arm instead, glad when they left that place. She relaxed some when they left the market

"This whole place is amazin! so much ta look at an so many of ya, how do you manage to keep food enough fer all?"

--

Pepper nodded "OF course your free, the door is there... you're not trapped" she said, not quite understanding what he was meaning

Gray stopped and turned so he could more easily reply. "That is, unfortunately, one of the problems we are having. There is not enough food to go around for much longer, but no one wishes to admit it."

There was a small group of people dressed in robes leading a short parade of normally dressed people. They walked with "holier than thou" expressions, eyes to the sky, or what would have been the sky.

~~

Badru looked at the door. "Nothing after door," he said. "Free from... things. People."

"Well thas not a good thing" Faelar said frowning "Mayhaps we can help ya all find new food supports, if they let us anyway"
Justira who had been looking at the floor, noticed the group in robes, she tilted her head and touched Gray's arm, pointing when she had his attention

---

Pepper's brow furrowed "I'm sorry I... don't understand what you're trying to say..."

"That would be good!" Gray looked where Justira pointed and nodded. He shepherded them out of the way, and the group passed as if they weren't even there. They would have walked right into them otherwise. Gray rolled his eyes in annoyance and waited for the mini-parade to pass. "Those are an annoying group of people. They do not believe the surface exists and believe that trying to reach the surface angers someone. God, I think. Since you are from the surface - or at least claim to be - you cannot exist, therefore they cannot see you. Or if you are in some way attached to those trying to reach the surface, they believe they must also ignore their presence for fear they will bring some kind of curse upon themselves."

~~

"Never mind. It is not of port." Badru paused and frowned. "Import. Important?"

Faelar and Justira both raised their brows at his explanation "what kinda nonsense is that?" He watched after them a moment before looking back at Gray "yer people are...a different sort aren't they...eh that is ta say..diverse"

--

"Important" Pepper nodded "and it is...I'm sorry my son and brother are better at language's" she apologized

Gyp smiled, his eyes laughing. "I suppose you would have beliefs that are completely understandable to me, right?" he teased lightly.

~~

Badru shrugged, his massive shoulders rolling. "Is good that I am learn this language." He turned back to Pepper. "Are you happy?"

He laughed a little "suppose ya have a point. Different eh, cultures an all but..clearly ya don't believe the surface is a myth right?"

--

Pepper watched him. Never had she seen colored skin like that. Sure hers was darker than average but his? "Happy? That's..a complicated question" she frowned "I don't know"

"I have something I would like to show you when we get back," Gray said. "Is there anything else you would like to see while we are out?"

~~

Badru grunted softly. "Then likely not," he said with brutal honesty. "I am..." What was the word? "Angry. For you. Sorry to you."

Faelar glanced at Tira, her body language told enough "ya I think we had enough adventure fer one day" he answered for them . Tira had shrunk back again holding his arm and watching her feet

--

Pepper frowned "don't be sorry for me. I hate it when people are sorry for me" Pepper said shaking her head before goong into the kitchen to find breakfast

Gray nodded and turned to lead the way back home. It was not far, thankfully, and they were quickly out of the busier parts of the city. Soon, they were out of the city altogether. He showed the way back home then stopped and pointed up the ladder. "There is where I work. You may come up whenever you would like. But first, there is something I want to show you in the house."

~~

Badru watched her go. That is not what he meant, but he did not know how to tell her what he meant yet. Mabe soon. Part of him wanted to follow her, but he was afraid she'd be angry, so he stayed staring at the door instead.

Justira looked up where he pointed then looked at him again and nodded for him to go on, curious what it was he wanted to show them

--

Pepper glanced over towards him "Have you eaten yet? I'm not a good cook but I can make you something" she offered, annoyed but not mad

Gray led them back inside then showed them the way back to where there was a small door he had not pointed out before. He opened it and revealed a small but bright room filled with fresh air. A shaft no more than a foot across cut into the ceiling and led all the way up to the surface in in a zigzag, lined with perfectly spaced mirrors that guided light - real sunlight - down into the room. A room filled with shelves, and each shelf lined with tiny trees. Some were larger and stood on the floor, but none were any taller than perhaps three feet at most. They looked a little feeble here in this protected world, but still thriving.

~~

"I have not eaten," Badru said, turning to her and stepping into the kitchen. "Will I help?"

Justira stepped inside, not sure what to expect but certainly not this. She let out a gasp. Fresh air. Light. A miniature version of home. She looked back at Gray and started to move but paused and signed "can I hug you?"

--

Pepper shrugged "if you like" she moved a bit to the side and held out an egg "know how to cook these?"

Gray's cheeks turned bright pink, but he smiled and nodded. He hadn't made the shaft, himself, but he had added the mirrors. That had been very tricky, but the trees loved it! They cleaned the air and gave him a smile even when the bright light hurt. He never thought his work would lead to someone wanting to hug him, though.

~~

Badru took the egg and studied it, a little surprised to see it down here. He nodded willingly. "I know. I will cook many eggs?"

That was all she needed to come forward and hug Gray, he had given her a place to be comfortable, a little bit of home down here in the dark, he'd made her very happy just now "Thank you" she used her voice, softly and just for him but it was a voice very clearly not used to hearing sound but she knew enough how to gauge her volume it seemed. She pulled back after a moment and smiled at him

--

She smiled and fetched a few more, enough for breakfast for everyone anyway "Just these" she said before she set about cutting potatoes and getting out what looked like dried meat to add to it. she had eaten some top grown foods just limited eggs root vegetables and meat

Gray hugged her back awkwardly but sincerely. He trembled a little at her touch, but he held it just the same. Then she spoke. He tensed, shocked at first then flattered. He drew back carefully and smiled at her. He mouthed the words soundlessly, "you are welcome."

~~

Badru valiently set about cooking the eggs. Eggs were not something he was particularly good at cooking, but he managed not to burn them.

Back