Land Down Under (KJDarKnight & Treasure)

Charlie smiled "sounds perfect. Safe" he nodded a little "there's shelter there or are we going to have to build again?" He had slid by being a cook and not having to help much with the building

"Little building. Not much needed. Some things to keep animals out," Badru assured him. "There is much shelter. Much provided."

He relaxed a little. He was a bit scrawny not athletic at all or all that strong. He'd never had a need to be before. "Sounds perfect then" he smiled "where did the stories come from though?"

Badru sighed internally. Telling these old stories stretched his limited vocabulary, but seeing as it this was essentially a group of the next generation, he supposed it was his duty to pass on the old tales. Especially to Peter. "The wind cries when it passes the place. Inside, the voices chatter, and animals not stay long. Once, many, many, many years ago, there were people who stay. People who want life in this place. There was a... a bad soul among them. This bad soul nip at their heels, prick their arms, itch their scalps until one by one, they go insane. This bad soul cause them to kill each other until only one left. This one... it is winter, and it is desperate. They spend much time fighting, no time storing. There is no food. So he eat his friends and family. He survive winter, but when spring come, a new soul live in this man. He begins to turn others to badness. They begin cult of cannibals, but that man never die. They say bad soul keep him alive and drive other cannibals to madness. The souls of those he kill still live where his left them."

He had everyone listening to his story. Peter seemed particularly interested "you mean this is where the cannibals started?" He asked but didn't really wait for an answer. "They don't ever go back there though do they?"

The mention of the cannibals made Misty shift uncomfortably, wishing she hadn't heard that story

Baddy shook his head. "Never return. Cannot face the ones that first died."

" I know I wouldn't want to go back, " Lynna shuddered.

Misty shifted again "yet we are going to live there? Is that really a good idea?" She asked

"We don't have many options Misty. If Badru says it's safe then it's safe" Mathias spoke up.

"I trust him. Even if it is creepy" Pepper added

"Is safe," Badru asserted. "Once lived not far. Is nothing but story." Why the cannibals never went close to the place, he had no idea, but they didn't, and it was a good place. All they would have to worry about was possibly a bear or wolves.

Misty quietly nodded and kept her worries to herself, clearly out numbered and she did trust Badru

Charlie got up to stir the soup again checking to see if it was getting close. "What are we going to do about the weather?" He asked "if we can't predict it.."

Jonah glanced over at Misty. Wordlessly, he reached over and patted Misty's shoulder.

Badru gave Charlie a flat look. "Weather says what will be doing. You need listen," he said. "I listen, and it tells me. We have clear skies for some time now. Maybe rain later."

Misty glanced up at Jonah and smiled faintly.

Hearing Charlie ask about the weather she realized her most significant role in the community was left behind. What use did she have now? She said nothing though

"Well yeah but...we can't rely on our eyes the weather changes so suddwnly" Charlie said, worried. He had heard stories of the crazy storms

"The animals know. The plants speak. The winds whisper," Badru said simply. "When listening, they tell you all you need know" He had lived all his life with the "crazy weather," and he knew how to read the patterns. He knew why the Grounders wouldn't be able to read it, but he knew that once they stopped depending on their machines, they would learn, too. He had high hopes for Misty in that regard. When she stopped mourning her lost place, she'd find a new one.

Lynna rubbed the back of her neck. "It would be nice to have the scanners for back up, but I guess if others have lived up here before... We can learn."

"We have little choice. We will have to" Mathias said "and Badru is right. We can see a lot by paying attention to nature

"Think about it Misty. Your radar just looks at patterns right. Now we just have to see them without a mechine" Peter encouraged

Badru dipped his head. "Misty knows patterns. She can find these patterns."

Lynna poked Charlie. "Is the food ready yet?"

"I don't know..it's not the samw" Misty shook her head. She missed her tablet already. Brought some form of comfort

"Not yet... just a bit longer" Charlie answered "not like the instant meals ya know"

He laughed a little "well here" he dug through his bag "ever tried an apple" he pulled one out and offered it to her "can just eat these raw crisp and sweet"

Lynna sniffed the apple then took a bite. She let out a little squeak as the juice dribbled down her chin. "Mmm! Wet! There's sweet water in these!" She tried to wipe off the juice while chomping on the fruit.

Charlie grinned "amazing right!?" He took out some others and passed them out. A bit of sugar would help and he'd found plenty to last them a few days.

Jonah handed his fruit to Misty. "Here, I'm not a fan of this," he lied. "Don't want to waste it."

Gray held his fruit and rolled it absently in his hands. Over and over. It was round. Round was good.

Back