Chronicles of The Omniverse Archived Langara

Big Brother

Grand Confessor
as written by barney_fife

Somewhere outside Tawa, Sagittaron

The last known address of Claire Angelique, was where the IIA was going to try and reach her.

Inside the house the phone rang, and rang, and rang, the IIA was attempting to reach her, as new orders had come down the pipeline, they needed someone that the TNG Didn't have a dossier on, someone who could move about freely.

And so the phone rang...

Last edited by a moderator:
as written by Absenthia and barney_fife

Groaning to herself, Claire rolled over in bed hoping whoever was calling would hang up eventually. “This better be good.” She muttered to herself as she got up to go find and answer the phone. Stumbling through the dark hallway of the house, too sleepy to reach for the light. Claire hoped whoever had decided to call would just go away by the time she reached the phone, then she could just go back to bed and not be bothered anymore. Splitting time between Langara and Yellowstone usually meant exhaustion, but it also meant an escape from the daily grind of running such a large company. It also entailed doing very little for anyone other than herself, as most of her family was dead or decided to pretty much disown her for failing to adhere to the Aschen standards of living; therefor leaving her mostly alone. Smacking her right foot into a piece of furniture, Claire swore and continued on limping towards the phone as the pain in her foot began to subside. Muttering darkly under her breath she considered herself lucky to have not tumbled down the stairs.

Picking up the receiver she hit the answer button, “Who the hell is this, and what do you want?" Claire grumbled into the receiver.

____

There was a brief pause on the other end of the line, before a male voice spoke up.

"Claire Angelique?" The man in the line asked, and when Claire responded to the affirmative, the man continued, ignoring any grumbling or insults to follow.

"I'm agent Cassidy with the Imperial Intelligence Agency, you're to report to Caprica city for your next assignment within the next day, this mission is absolutely of the highest secrecy." The agent on the other end spoke up. Though there was a time difference and it was in broad daylight in Caprica City, the IIA didn't care about time differences.

The agent paused and awaited Claire's reply.

____

"Yes, who's asking?" She responded stifling a yawn, and contemplating the clock in the room, wondering when she could go back to sleep. "I'm sorry but I don't know what that is, or who that is, or what you want out of me." She added feeling slightly suspicious about this call. Claire had been in retirement from anything to do with the military, government, or it's intelligence branches for quite some time now. She had been living a quiet, and very unassuming life lately, trying very hard to stay out of the galactic spotlight and succeeding.

"You realize Cassidy isn't exactly the most masculine name?" Claire added, giving the man on the other end a little verbal jab for waking her up so late at night.

____

The agent paused for a moment, before he replied. "Your either living in a cave or a fool, if you haven't noticed some things have changed, this includes the Langaran Defense Agency being reorganized. You have all the validation you need. Operations has a classified assignment for you to undertake, I'm merely the messenger." He jabbed back over the phone.

"In any case, get yourself woken up and here in Caprica City by this time tomorrow, unless you'd like us to come visit you." He added. "We're re activating your commission and transferring it to IIA credentials."

____

Claire pulled a face and realized she couldn't play dumb, ignorant, out of system foreigner anymore. "Oh it's neither of those, trust me..." She replied, a dangerously sharp tone creeping into her voice. Normally Claire did as she pleased, and some how had gotten away with her sarcastic, and acerbic behavior, both in and out of uniform. It seemed that the man on the other end of the line wasn't sure what to do with her. "Keep your damn pants on! Because believe me, if you decide to come to me it won't be pretty." Claire just hoped she could make good on that threat if she ever had to. "I'll be there, just might want to remind Operations to reread that file." She added before hanging up.

Having sworn that nearly anyone in the military or government had forgotten about her, she had gone about a semi-normal life. But, Claire had never been more wrong with this most recent phone call. "Caprica City, well at least it's warm... I think." She muttered grumpily.

as written by barney_fife and Ronin

Some time later...
The sun was slowly setting, casting a Fiery glow across The Langaran sky. Miles Hagan was lounging on the beach of his vast a state nestled upon Knight Island. His private tropical retreat on the Aries ocean. In his left hand was a drink mixed with ambrosia, pineapple juice, and a little bit of distilled spirits. In his right hand was a book. Sitting on a small coffee table, lay down by a paperweight or several purchase orders from the office of imperial affairs. These purchase orders were in relation to several highly classified projects that the empire was undergoing at the time. One such purchase order, was for unspecified quantity of heavy metals and reactor components that were being shipped privately via courier to Valore. Everything has been approved by Miles, and kept purposely from Dominic's attention.

Miles Hagan lounge quietly as the sun slowly set, is I set upon a Reverence class carrier looming in the distance.

____

"You almost look like you're actually in retirement," a low, inflected voice resounded behind Miles.

Dominic Hagan walked up alongside his father, loafers in hand. He looked out into the ocean and the setting sun, the sea breeze tousling his hair. His eyes were dark and rimmed with heavy circles.

"Good book you're reading?"

____

"Only in death does duty end." Miles replied. "According to the Ministry of Information, that is." He said, setting the book down on the table beside him. The title read 'My Triumph My Mistakes'

"I don't imagine you came all the way out here just to see your old man, Dominic." Miles said, making a face. "I had to lay low for awhile of course, after Mollem got thrown out, the Quorum was trying to go after the last vestiges of his regime." He said, shifting in his lounge chair.

"So what is it that I can help you with? You finally run the company into the ground and are coming back to ask me to bail you out?"

____

"Actually I was reviewing purchase histories following the clusterfrak our Westeria HQ just went through on Valore," Dominic began, "and ... wouldn't you know it? It seems certain departments of my company have misplaced some serious resources." He turned to his father, eyes flashing to the coffee table. "So I do some digging, hop through more than a few stumbling blocks that were obviously put in place to hide the ordeal, and guess what I found? Someone authorized the purchasing of equipment for projects that certainly aren't in the official Tech Con utility lineup, and requisitioned the time of some of my top researchers and engineers."

He quirked a brow. "Know anything about that, dad?"

____

Hagan frowned, heaved an audible sigh, and then his frown deepened even more. "I believe those Terrans have a saying... curiosity killed the cat." He said, taking a sip of his drink before he set the glass down.

"The Imperial Government requisitioned several corporate resources under a black file order given to me by the IIA. All i know is it's something big, and really secret." Hagan said, slowly pulling himself to his feet.

"Stay out of whatever that rabbit hole is if you know what's good for you, you get yourself in trouble I won't be able to help you. Grand Confessor Kesslee warned me that you'd likely be snooping around. He told me if he caught wind of you asking too many questions; you'd be put to death." Hagan said, putting his hand on Dominic's shoulder.

"I implore you; whatever this is, stay out of it. It's for your own good, and the good of this company." There was a look of visible concern in Hagan's eyes, fear for his son almost. Whatever the Empire was doing, it had come down unusually hard on Hagan, a man who had typically been allowed a great deal of leeway in the Imperial Regime.

____

"We can't just work under the table with our own government, dad," Dominic shook his head, "putting guns in the hands of soldiers is one thing, but this ... this is something else entirely. It's not business." He groaned. "Zeus, the IIA? Really dad? Do you have any idea how jeopardizing this could be to Tech Con if it got out?"

He looked hard at his father, brows furrowing. He understand that Miles want to protect him, but also knew that he couldn't back down if his own company was funding intergalactic terrorism. "Fine. Don't tell me. Don't clue me in on what's going on." He pointed sternly at his father. "Instead, you fix it. Call off the construction. Tell the Empire 'no'. If you can handle this yourself, I won't need to do a damn thing."

____

Miles chuckled, and that chuckle inevitably turned into a laugh.

"Tell the Empire 'no'. Listen to yourself." He said, before he made a face and looked out at the Reverence in the distance. "Dominic, this isn't some contractor offering Tech Con a contract." He said, turning to face his son. "This isn't some bid, some thing that Tech Con willingly drug itself into. I was visited by the Confessors, they gave me a black file order.." He said, picking up the file and shoving it at Dominic.

"Under penalty of death..." He said, gesturing to the text on the file. "If I told them no, I'd have been put to death, and Tech Con's assets would have been seized anyway. This isn't Terra, this is the United Aschen Empire. Here we do what our government tells us to do, for the greater good." He then reached out and grabbed Dominic by his Collar.

"Anything short of that is heresy! A crime against the state! A death sentence!"

____

Dominic let himself be grabbed, meeting his father's eye without flinching. What reflected in the face of the son was not anger or outrage, but sadness.

"I remember a time in this country when the thought of being put to death for 'heresy' was as laughable as state-sponsored 're-education' camps," Dominic replied, "a time when Miles Hagan was his own man and couldn't be forced to do anything he didn't want to." He shook his head. "I guess those days are over." He turned away. "I love my country, dad. I love my people. But can you look me in the eye and tell me that the governing powers of this Empire are serving the citizens of our nation and not themselves?" He shook his head, sighing ... before letting the issue drop.

"I'm trying to salvage Valore. Whatever you're doing, keep it on the down-low. There are still Aschen citizens and Tech Con employees on that planet, and I'm going to negotiate with the TNG to get them off-world." He glared at his father. "I don't need your pet projects making noise and messing it up."

____

He let go and shook his head. "This Empire was built to serve and protect the people, something it still does." Miles said with a frown, letting Dominic go.

"Black File orders have existed since the days of the Old Confederation and the LDA, I'm no stranger. Nothing's really changed, Dominic, it's just a lot more brazen now. I remember the days when you refused a black file order, and an LDA Agent killed you discreetly in your own home." Miles said, shaking his head.

"They captured and executed the chief of security." He said, handing Dominic a report from the Imperial Navy. "Took her hostage and executed her, before launching an all out suicide attack against the Imperial Fleet, 800,000 Aschen died that day. The people want revenge, and I suspect given the nature of what the empire requisitioned, is that revenge." He said.

"Valore was an excellent business opportunity, but too many people would rather see the planet obliterated."

____

Dominic received the report, surveying the information with furrowed brows. He looked up at his father. "I'm not trying to salvage business with Valore, I just want to get our employees off the planet."

He read the name on the file. Cally. Dominic knew her personally. Had the TNG really executed a hostage? "I've been getting reports about it all week, but no two stories are exactly the same." He looked up at his father, confused. "Revenge? What sort of 'revenge' are you talking about? Why wouldn't Prince just take outright military action against the Terrans?"

____

"He's concerned it will attract unwanted attention from the Shade Dominion, He also doesn't want to make Mollem's mistakes. So they're planning something big and covert. I don't know what it is or when it'll happen, but it'll be big, and they're saying it will be the final nail in the TNG coffin, destabilizing the entire region politically." He said, moving back to his lounge chair.

"Get our employees off the planet, but don't let the TNG know about it. I can't stand to have any more employees executed. Smuggle them off if you have too. Just don't do anymore digging regarding this business with the Empire requisitioning Tech Con assets, the Confessors were very clear."

Miles nodded. "Prince has assured the people that once Celion and the TNG are dealt with, the Party can back off and be much less imposing."

____

Anger flashed over Dominic's face, but he swiftly repressed and nodded. His dad was just trying to protect him ... and barely knew anything about the ordeal in the first place. He nodded. "Alright. I'll stay out of it and focus getting our employees off of Valore."

He moved to leave, but stopped short. He turned back to his father. "Dad." He waited until he was looking at him. "I own Tech Con." His voice was absent of any iron or rage - it was a simple, focused monotone. A statement of a fact. "Whatever you do with your money and your people isn't my business. But Tech Con is. The lives of the employees you endanger with your projects are my business. The funds that you usurp from my assignments are my business. If you want to work with me, fine." He shook his head. "But don't go behind my back and frak around with my business. You built it, and I respect you for that - but you gave it to me." He glared at his father unblinkingly, eyes cold and frostbitten behind circles of black.

"Now let me run it."

____

Miles grunted slightly. "I'll let you run it when I am not worried you'll do something to get the Government to rip the company out from under you and have you put to death for Heresy." He said, sipping his drink.

"Your beliefs don't exactly coincide with the Party." He said, opening his book back up.

as written by Krysis

~Caprica Metropolitan Hospital, Hospice floor: 1:36 pm~

The door to the elevator slid open, and a young woman stepped out with a bouquet of bright flowers in her arms. Perhaps that was a common occurrence on other floors, but this was the center of Aschen medicine. There were very few patients that were resigned to the hospice floor. Most of them were unclaimed.

Those that did have family had visitors that knew what the proper hours for visiting were. Middle of the afternoon was not acceptable, normal or even allowed.

Normally, this was the easiest post for the CPF. Paperwork could be done while sitting outside of the only room on the floor that warranted a guard at all. Word had come down from higher up to step up security though, as if someone might want to hurt the coma patient in the coming days. Or perhaps the various IIA agents that took shifts inside the room were the expected targets.

So the two officers exchanged a look as the woman in white walked up to them with an amused smile. One drew his weapon and pointed it at the floor. The other followed suit a moment later as sweat beaded on his brow.

"You two are as good as a flashing sign. 'Something is going on here!' Put it up, boys, and open the door. I'm expected." She told them with a playful smirk and a swipe of her fingers through her very short black hair.

"Identification?" the older one asked.

"Ask the agent inside." She answered a bit more harshly. "Then move your asses down to the elevators and stairs entrances."

---

~Inside room 1603: 1:42 pm~

Teresa Zitar, IIA agent, stood up when confronted with this strange young woman. She shifted her weight nervously, aware of more than the officers outside had known, and therefore alarmed at this singular meeting. Even though the Aschen Empire held the trump card in this particular situation, the young woman was known for her violent temper.

"Miss--" Teresa started, and then stopped when the woman held up her hand.

"No names. If I can sense there are words buried in the walls, someone else can pull them out. You wanted my attention?" The black-haired woman arranged the flowers in a vase, turning her back on Ms. Zitar.

"Fine. No names. There is a high value target in your vicinity. If you get a chance, you are to eliminate that target. Failing that, to relay the precise location of that target." Teresa nervously flicked at the information on her datapad, trying not to compare the faces of the girl in the bed, who was barely a woman in her shape, with the tall, sleek creature in the white dress. They could almost be sisters, in the face, but the builds were completely different.

"And if my orders take me in another direction?" The woman with short black hair asked, giving Teresa a hard look.

Teresa swallowed hard, then shrugged, "Support the Empire any way you can."

"Of course. Now get out. I want some time alone here."

~fin~

as written by barney_fife

~Caprica Metropolitan Hospital, Hospice floor: 1:36 pm~

The door to the elevator slid open, and a young woman stepped out with a bouquet of bright flowers in her arms. Perhaps that was a common occurrence on other floors, but this was the center of Aschen medicine. There were very few patients that were resigned to the hospice floor. Most of them were unclaimed.

Those that did have family had visitors that knew what the proper hours for visiting were. Middle of the afternoon was not acceptable, normal or even allowed.

Normally, this was the easiest post for the CPF. Paperwork could be done while sitting outside of the only room on the floor that warranted a guard at all. Word had come down from higher up to step up security though, as if someone might want to hurt the coma patient in the coming days. Or perhaps the various IIA agents that took shifts inside the room were the expected targets.

So the two officers exchanged a look as the woman in white walked up to them with an amused smile. One drew his weapon and pointed it at the floor. The other followed suit a moment later as sweat beaded on his brow.

"You two are as good as a flashing sign. 'Something is going on here!' Put it up, boys, and open the door. I'm expected." She told them with a playful smirk and a swipe of her fingers through her very short black hair.

"Identification?" the older one asked.

"Ask the agent inside." She answered a bit more harshly. "Then move your asses down to the elevators and stairs entrances."

---

~Inside room 1603: 1:42 pm~

Teresa Zitar, IIA agent, stood up when confronted with this strange young woman. She shifted her weight nervously, aware of more than the officers outside had known, and therefore alarmed at this singular meeting. Even though the Aschen Empire held the trump card in this particular situation, the young woman was known for her violent temper.

"Miss--" Teresa started, and then stopped when the woman held up her hand.

"No names. If I can sense there are words buried in the walls, someone else can pull them out. You wanted my attention?" The black-haired woman arranged the flowers in a vase, turning her back on Ms. Zitar.

"Fine. No names. There is a high value target in your vicinity. If you get a chance, you are to eliminate that target. Failing that, to relay the precise location of that target." Teresa nervously flicked at the information on her datapad, trying not to compare the faces of the girl in the bed, who was barely a woman in her shape, with the tall, sleek creature in the white dress. They could almost be sisters, in the face, but the builds were completely different.

"And if my orders take me in another direction?" The woman with short black hair asked, giving Teresa a hard look.

Teresa swallowed hard, then shrugged, "Support the Empire any way you can."

"Of course. Now get out. I want some time alone here."

~fin~

as written by Ronin and barney_fife

Dominic received the document with a huff, the hair whipping his hair across his forehead. "You say that as if I've got a choice." He signed at the bottom then handed the paper back to Miles. The CEO looked over his shoulder, brows knitting together as some of the Empire's biggest names emerged from the condor.

He leaned close to his father and growled in his ear. "You didn't tell me the frakkin' Emperor would be here. What the hell is going on?"

He smiled at Inviere as she approached. "Perfectly, Chairman." He bowed before the Emperor. "Honored, my Lord. I was not expecting your presence this evening." He chuckled. "I would have had my shoes polished." He greeted Randolph and Nagala with proper respects and titles.

____

"Excellent." Prince said, as he turned towards a cliff face, that was frozen with a layer of ice and snow. It was then Miles withdrew a small crystal from his jacket pocket, placing it in Dominic's hand.

"Guard this with your life, and share it with no one, not even your family. You're about to see the Empire's most well kept secret." Hagan said, as Inviere crunched up to the large rock face, she opened a panel that revealed six empty narrow slots, obviously to accommodate the crystals.

Prince slowly moved up. "This is the first I'm hearing about this too, Mr. Hagan." Prince said, taking his crystal and inserting it into the slot.

Inviere followed next, before Cleo, and then Nagala inserted their crystals.

However, there were six crystal slots, and only five of them there. It was then Minister Nagala appeared in a flash of white light, and an audible pop, a blink pack strapped to her jacket.

"Sorry I'm late." She said, moving quickly to insert her own crystal.

Miles gestured for Dominic to follow suit, and once Dominic inserted his crystal, the panel door closed, locking the six different colored crystals in place. What followed next was a low rumble, the ground shaking as the rock face moved down into the ground, revealing a large empty room with a circular platform in the center.

Inviere nodded, gesturing for all of them to enter the room.

____

Reluctantly, Dominic inserted the crystal, brows furrowing as he examined the gem carefully before placing it in the slot. He stepped back, steadying himself as the ground began to shake.

"What is this place?" Dominic asked, following Invere.

____

Once everyone was on the platform, a set of rings launched up with an audible buzzing sound, and a flash of light. When the rings fell back into the ground, the group would find themselves in a large empty room no different than the one they left, other than a set of large doors.

The doors opened up with an audible hiss, revealing a large control room filled with Alteran consoles, technology, and holographic screens that flickered to life one by one.

At one end of the room was a large window that overlooked a massive underground installation. An obelisk of sorts with a large sphere like construct easily hundreds of meters across.

"It's called the Potentia." Miles said, as the group spread out. In the installation below, various technicians could be seen studying the device in the chasm below, the occasional flash of welding torches also illuminated the deep chasm where the weapon itself was resting.

Inviere interfaced with a console, bringing up a large screen that had Anquietas text scrolling across, before Prince looked around.

"The existence of this place is a secret, one that will result in your execution if you reveal it to anyone." Prince said, approaching the window as Miles spoke.

"It's a weapon of last resort." He said. "Our Samson option."

____

Dominic looked over the highly advanced technology, nodding slowly. Whatever this place was, it was obviously a place of great importance. The Aschen valued little more than their military might. To be on the threshhold of the Empire's absolute last option was indeed a great occasion. He only wondered he was being allowed inside of this place.

"What exactly does it do?" Dominic asked, slow and wary.

____

Chaska cleared her throught nervously, before Cleo spoke up.

"It is capable of destroying all life within this galaxy, when working functionally of course. It's missing several key components, and initial simulations of a strike place it's range at roughly twenty five thousand light years. We suspect there are similar installations scattered throughout the galaxy that would activate in the event this one activated." She said, while Prince spoke up.

"If the day ever came that our enemies were at our doorstep, and we were on the verge of being destroyed as a society. The best of our people would secretly evacuate to a world beyond this weapon's range, we would activate it, destroying ourselves, and everyone else in this Galaxy." Prince said flatly.

"That is why the security of this Empire is taken very seriously, to prevent the day that we would have to consider ever using this terrible weapon." He said, walking back towards Dominic.

"If the time came, each one of us is to put a code into that computer." He said, gesturing to the master control interface, a large console in the center of the room, where a three-dimensional projection of the Galaxy was slowly rotating.

"And activate the device before fleeing through the Astria Porta." He said, motioning his hand towards a second large control room, housing a large ring, an Astria Porta, aka the Stargate.

____

"Everything in the galaxy..." Dominic repeated the words, almost not believing them himself. A weapon of this magnitude was unreal.

"How..." he shook his head, "how long have we had this?"

____

"This place was discovered shortly after the Great War of Magellan." Inviere said calmly. "But it's probably millions of years old." She said, while Prince and everyone else were taking in the sights.

"Like we said, it's a weapon of complete, last resort. You are taking my place on the Potentia committee, which means you'll be responsible for helping to activate it when the time comes." Miles explained.

____

"When the time comes?" Dominic raised a wary brow, "you make it sound like an inevitability." He held up his crystal. "This is an enormous responsibility. I pray to the gods we never have to use this." He shook his head. "Or that, by the time we do, I'll already be dead."

____

Prince made a face as Dominic mentioned the sound of inevitability.

"The enemies we face out in the Dark zone are as numerous as they are powerful, our defenses will inevitably fall to their constant attacks against them." He said, turning to face the installation out in the Chasm, before he turned back to Dominic.

"I pray that the time never comes, but the reality is as cold as this weapon; eventually someone, somewhere will try to bring us to ruin; and when that day comes." Prince said, his gaze hardening.

"This galaxy will be purged of all life by this cleansing fire, and remade into a paradise for a new Aschen civilization!"

____

Dominic refrained from commenting, making no affirmations in favor of Prince's zeal but neither condemning it.

He held aloft his crystal and looked to his father. "What do I do with this?"

____

"Keep it with you, and guard it with your life." Miles said, handing Dominic a small ball chain. "I wore it as a necklace." He said, not affirming prince either.

"Keep it somewhere safe, but also somewhere you won't lose it. It only takes one of these crystals to gain access to this facility, but all six need to be present to activate the device. Which means it's important you not only guard the crystal, but keep it a secret. This whole place is a secret, one you will take to your grave." Miles said flatly.

"The implications if this went public could threaten our very civilization."

____

"That's clear enough," Dominic replied, "if the Aschen people found out that the ruling class is keeping a weapon on-planet capable of killing them all..." He shook his head. "...whatever. I'll keep this safe." He held the gem at length, eyeing it suspiciously. "Not sure if around my neck is the safest place to keep it, though. Men are easily killed, and I'm no exception..."

He looked back at his father, a thought suddenly entering his head. "Why... why are you giving this to me?" His brows furrowed. "Why aren't you keeping it?"

as written by Krysis

~Caprica Metropolitan Hospital, Hospice floor: predawn hours~

It was peaceful, as ever, in the room with the comatose girl. The quiet hiss, thump, beep of the machinery that kept her 'alive' had almost a soporific effect, as if any that stayed there for any length of time should join the pale female in endless sleep.

The device that monitored brain activity usually had a gentle wave to it, with the occasional spike of greater function. Sometime between midnight and morning one day, the readings just stopped. The machines that kept heart and lungs working didn't notice, but the body was growing cold and stiff. Even with all the science available in that hospital, the futility of it would have to be admitted.

Minvera's body was dead, and the control over the sand witch was lost.

Zeus Mountain; Potentia Facility.

15 Hours to Zero-Hour

Light bathed the Emperor all around as he watched the console scroll to life, Standing beside him was Imperial Viceroy, Cleo Randolph, a stout, middle aged woman with dark skin, of Gemonese descent, and to his left was the Speaker of the Quorum, Mattias Soban, a balding middle aged man whom had enjoyed a long career in politics.

Grand Confessor Kesslee was also present, standing just adjacent to the Emperor, the only one outside of the Potentia Committee to know of it's existence.

"If Inviere's operation fails, we'll be left vulnerable to retaliation. The Ministry of Public Affairs, and Social Harmony has begun preparing the civilian population to enact armed resistance against those who would come to undo our Empire." Prince said, turning away from the console.

"Supplies are being distributed, weapons are being checked out, the entire Empire stands at the precipice of a new age. I have arranged for the best and brightest of our people, along with selected representatives of our government to travel to Cimtar; there they will rebuild our civilization, and spread outwards into a new Galaxy, one that will be cleansed of our enemies, one that they can call home. Our society will prosper, without external threats." Prince said, looking back to the console.

"We just need to wait for the last member of our committee, and then we can activate the machine."

"Activate the machine?"

Dominic Hagan, Tech Con CEO, descended the long stairway leading into the Potentia atrium. The huge machine stood in the center of the room, the Empire's most prestigious officers and corporate leaders arrayed around the monolith like tiny ants. Dominic looked between them, eyes flashing from face to face, his expression calm and focused.

"My Emperor," he bowed before Prince, as custom demanded, "it was my understanding that the Potentia be activated in our hour of greatest need - when Caprica City itself had been burned to the ground, when the majority of our people were already dead or dying." He looked up, brows knit. "We are at war, emperor... but we are not defeated. Not yet. Surely this is not the way."

The young businessman straightened his cufflinks and looked around - glaring at Soban in particular - perhaps glancing to see if he could garner any support.

...or perhaps just looking to see who was truly condoning a galactic massacre of their own people without a word of protest.

"That time is inevitably going to come." Prince said, turning to face Dominic.

No one protested, they had all read the briefings, how the Dominion attacked and swept aside the task force watching Sol with no warning, without so much as the slightest provocation. "Have you been watching the news? Or have you sequestered yourself to some hole, breeding with the latest alien fling." The Emperor said, stepping forward.

"We Ceded Isiria because of unrest, the Shade Dominion attacked and totally obliterated a Command Carrier and it's entire accompanying fleet without so much as a warning. We made contact with a hostile alien race called the Iarin, who disabled one of our Reverences with merely the flip of a switch" The Emperor said, stepping fourth. "We must be prepared to act swiftly and without hesitation when the time comes that we are to activate this weapon, and bathe this galaxy in it's cleansing fire."

"But you are blinded, and I've always known that your father passing you his key was a mistake."

"But the time is not now, emperor," Dominic replied, tactfully ignoring the subtle barb at Jacquelyn. "Already our military sets out to meet the enemy. Inviere has not failed." He gestured towards the Potentia. "You wish to activate the machine before we've exhausted every possible option?"

He turned to the other committee members. "Is it naive of me to believe that the Empire can win this fight? That we will prevail against our enemies, against the odds, as we have time and time again? The Molecay? The Ori?"

He looked back to Prince. "My father makes mistakes, emperor; giving me his key wasn't one of them."

"You're right about that, Dominic, the time is not now." Prince said, turning to the console. "But you don't see that, I know about the Isirian girl." Prince said, grinning. "Perhaps the time spent together, has clouded your mind." Prince said flatly, turning back to face Dominic as Kesslee stepped forward.

"Perhaps it has made you irreversibly contaminated." He said, grinning somewhat. "Perhaps to save her, you would be compelled to act." Prince said with a nod to Kesslee, whom produced a small communications device.

"You see, I know Inviere is going to fail, I know that her fleet will be destroyed, the Dominion's firepower is unstoppable, time and time again, we have failed to subjugate Valore no matter the resources we have poured into doing so." Prince said, nodding slowly. "I have no intention of subjugating Valore; and the dissolution of the TNG is merely the icing on the cake."

"And then, galvanized by our defeat, the aliens of this galaxy will come for us, to put an end to the Aschen menace once and for all. That is when we strike, and we cleanse this galaxy to pave the way for our future."

"If things proceed as you predict, emperor, then we will talk of using the Potentia," Dominic replied, "but until that happens, I believe that any serious consideration of activating a weapon of near-total galactic destruction is premature."

He turned. "The 'Isirian girl' is a decorated Imperial veteran. My loyalties are to the Empire, to her people. Always."

The Aschen ship completed it's last leg of jumps with the Dominion delegates on board, two thorough searches, along with military escort through the Aschen core inevitably paid off, as the ship completed it's last jump, winking into high orbit over Langara.

Langara was, unlike Valore nearly completely untouched by war, the blue-green orb dominated the view from orbit, it was rugged, clean, and obviously the seat of Aschen power.

Hundreds of individual orbital bastions dotted the planet's orbit in a grid like pattern, allowing for overlapping fields of fire, and a secondary line of defense.

Everything was quiet as the lone transport passed a formation of thousands of ships, all like before bearing scaffolding, and refitting for battle, temporary gravity lifts reached out from the surface with flashing lights and a purple hue, cargo moving to the ships above.

The Aschen ship hit atmosphere, and below as far as the eye could see, on every Aschen roadway leading into Caprica City on the horizon was traffic congestion, the roadways, the railways, and the airways were slow moving and congested with the signs of mass mobilization, Caprica City, to those looking below was in obvious gridlock, with hundreds of Aschen warships moored in the starports, and millions of troops, tons vehicles, cargo, materiel, weapons, and hardware were moving along the roads towards the ships, and towards the gravity lifts that ascended high into the sky.

The ship decelerated rapidly, and then jerked slightly as landing skids touched tarmac, a few preparations were made, a motorcade of limousines prepped and ready to receive the guests.

Too the left, there were easily a thousand young men in civilian clothing, and freshly shaven hair carrying large dark grey rucksacks, they were moving in a single file line towards one of the superbulk transports landed several hundred meters away.

Once on the surface, the cool Langaran wind whipped through the transport, it could be refreshing considering the circumstances.

Chaska, along with her staff quietly moved to usher the Dominion delegation off the transport, though voices were difficult as a condor VTOL carrying a Myrmidon HBT passed overhead.

Propaganda lined the walls, and every conceivable road around the starport was congested, as they had been shut down to permit military vehicles to maneuver relatively unimpeded through the streets. It was patently obvious the Aschen were carefully preparing to throw everything they had at that cordon.

The Dominion delegation followed Chaska and her people, quietly studying what there was to see around them. The mobilization efforts were impressive in scale. Ian noted the ages of the personnel being moved with a shrug, filing the observation away as he glanced about like the others, their collective behavior as though such activity, given the context of why it was occurring, didn't matter. Virtually gawking like tourists, in fact.

The drive from the spaceport, to the Quorum building wasn't much different than the flight from the planet, to Langara, there was evidence of mass mobilization all around them, people being sent off to war.

vIAFtgS.png

The Quorum building was situated in the heart of Caprica City, and it's open plazas and airy structure were largely cordoned off so that the negotiations with the Dominion could go smoothly. However the delegates had ample opportunity to discuss the impending meeting prior to their arrival.

The group were escorted out of the motorcade, briefly searched by IIA Agents situated at a security kiosk in the front desk, and then ushered into a large central room, a table that could seat them all comfortably before a large raised dais, and a semicircle of three-hundred people seated atop an amphitheater style seating arrangement all silently stared down at them.

There were hushed whispers, a few accusations leveled among the quorum delegates, followed by the sound of a gavel, the speaker of the Quorum, Imperial Viceroy Cleo Randolph, an older Gemonese woman with dark skin, and short cropped hair.

"We are humbled that you could meet with us on this day, I trust your trip here has been rather uneventful?" She inquired, while waiting for the Dominion delegation to seat themselves.

"Allow me to be the first to welcome you to today's quorum hearing."

Coming out of hyperspeed with the wrong melody playing was never a good sign. It was a possibility when the junior pilot was left alone, though. They must have hit seven meteors in the past five seconds, and as the alarms loudly announced, their shields were down.

"What the fuck did you do?? I have been gone for three minutes!" Shouted Valled, followed closely by Benna. The later was silent, though. They just went over to the nearest console to assess the damages.

"ImsorryImsorryImsorry" Said the junior, stepping away from the navigation console and letting Valled take charge again.
"Is everyone ok down there??" Asked Valled on the general comms channel.
"Mostly. No severe damages beyond some sickness from the impacts. We're all fine!" Answered Ankkela just before someone was heard emptying their stomach rather loudly in the background.
"I'm so sorry..." Whispered the junior again. Valled sighed and shook their head.
"It's fine kid, just make yourself useful and find us a planet with enough resources. Go, cha!" And with that the younger Bav nodded. They went over to the wide range scanners, which were partially broken as well, and got to work.

It wasn't long before said planet appeared in their radar. Langara, with plenty of compatible water bodies and more than enough resources to go around. Populated by some unknown people who, if they were lucky, were friendly. They would hit the water surface and perhaps flood nearby beaches, but it was better than their messy alternative of certain death given enough time.
And so the Bavethjan scout ship hit the water surface of Langara, not far from the coast they let the ship partially sink as it was designed to do and opened their filters. Everyone could now breathe and relax for a few minutes.
"Captain, that landing did out medical bay and crew NO FAVOURS" Said Ankkela over Comms. Valled groaned. They gave instructions to the rest, who stayed on the bridge, and went down to investigate the damages.

"They blew right through our defensive line!"

It all happened so quickly, so quickly in fact it left most of the command staff who was in charge of planetary defense rather dumbfounded, the ship came out of nowhere, and was able to blow right through the defensive perimeter before any one of the numerous defense stations could get a firing solution.

To compound the situation, the alien vessel had even managed to break through ground based defenses to land somewhere in the Caprican Bay, much to the dismay of the defensive commander there.

Commander Miklos watched silently as EVE projected the ship's trajectory along a large three dimensional projection of the planet and the surrounding space. He would have to inform those ground side so they could contain the situation before mass panic could set in.

With a hint of trepidation, the Commander picked up the communication and held it to his ear.

"I need to speak to Minister Chaska, it's an urgent matter."

Ground side, the alien ship would find itself in a large ocean bay, lined with tall skyscrapers as far as the eyes could see. In the distance, there were sirens, the clamor of panic filled the air the moment the initial waves struck the city's sea walls, which culminated in large crashes of water against the concrete walls. The faint sound of police sirens also followed, and people could be seen running for cover should they look into the city.

Something was surely happening within the grand city before them.

On their way to the medical bay, Valled ran into three other crew members. Two had yet to recover from their harsh landing, and one of them managed to hold on to a railing. It was good to see them. Other than a few scratches and bruises, they were fine.
Some equipment had moved, tablets and cilinders had hit the floor and scattered in all directions.

"What happened??" Asked Valled once they arrived to medical. Two of their people were in medmix tanks now, contained. Ankkela was up and about, busy as always, and Essek sat on a berth.

"What happened is the next time we're about to crash at this speed, a word of warning would be nice!. We were outright floating for a few seconds, and we have two juniors out with severe concussions!." They said, coming up to Valled's face with snarls and accusatory fingers. Essek sighed from their berth, curling up.

Valled deflated, allowing their partner and medic to rightfully tell them off.
"I apologize, my junior took the reins for a moment and I had to improvise after. We didn't have the time. Are you okay though? You both?" They asked softly.

Ankkela folded their arms with a huff, but didn't shout anymore.
"We are. Essek has motion sickness."
Their moment of peace didn't last, though, as Valled had to return to the bridge as soon as possible. Their junior was watching scanners and zooming their scopes toward the nearby city.

"They're scared I'd say. Think something else is going on?" They asked, curious, these people were strange.

"Pretty sure we're more than enough for now. Activate what defences we have left, our scanners, everything. Protocol Alpha two. They are going to show up here soon. They have to... I don't even know how we weren't obliterated in the atmosphere." Instructed the captain.

"Pretty sure we blinked in and out of existence a few times in their radars."Answered Benna, turning on their self repair systems. Now all they could do was wait for the inevitable.

IDF Caprica City Command Center

The Commander watched everything as it began to pan out on large holographic airscreens, he watched closely as news helicopters, and VTOLS began to move out into the bay, circling the alien ship to try and get the best footage that they possibly could. Like vultures circling the prey, each small helicopter moved in a circular pattern around the landed ship, focusing cameras on it as reporters droned on through the various media channels as to what exactly was going on.

The Commander watched these news feeds intently on a separate screen.

"EVE, vector a Rev for an atmo intercept." The Commander instructed, before he brought up a large three-dimensional command interface, tapping various icons, and dragging waypoints to direct them into the bay.

View attachment 10319

"Commander, we will be limited in our response options due to the Civilians in the city."

The Commander grit his teeth at EVE's protest, and then nodded. "Just route that damn Reverence!"

The holographic visage of EVE simply nodded.

"Command Accepted, disseminating revised objectives."

Aboard the Reverence I, The Agony and the Ecstasy Commander Clea Soban watched intently as EVE transmitted the orders to her own command interface. The Agony and the Ecstasy happened to be in geosynchronous orbit above the Imperial City of Delphi, some hundred odd miles to the north of Caprica City. Commander Soban turned to her Executive officer and spoke up.

"Colonel Vreiss, set course for Caprican Bay, set condition Yellow throughout the ship!"

The Colonel offered a brisk salute, bringing his fist over his chest.

"Ad Victoriam, Commander!" He called out before he began to relay the orders to the rest of the ship. Only a few moments passed before the five kilometer long first generation Reverence class planetary assault carrier broke orbit, and began it's rapid descent to the planet below. Commander Soban grabbed the railing of her console and called out.

"Shields, double front, power to ventral batteries, damage control crews to your stations!" She bellowed, as the ship lurched, and signalled it's protest through a bow-to-stern rumble before engaging it's three massive DG-6 Olympus Plasmic fusion thrusters, at five kilometers in length, and weighing billions of tons, the massive assault carrier was the bread and butter of Imperial defenses.

As it broke atmosphere, plasma began to lick up against it's shields from the friction with the atmosphere, Commander Soban would make the first attempts to communicate with the unusual alien vessel, with a hint of hesitation, she reached out to pick up the receiver.

"Unidentified Vessel, this is Commander Clea Soban, commander of The Agony and the Ecstasy, Imperial Navy, Identify yourself at once, and state your intentions!" She called out over the Radio, while EVE translated her words to a series of easily translatable prime numbers, a universal language of sorts.

"Commander, we will be on target in one millicenton." EVE reported.

Back