Laundry Room

This is a small, rather narrow room with counters, a washing machine and a dryer. It has dark wood paneling floors and a blue carpet. Products to clean clothes and similar supplies are stored in here. There's always hampers, baskets and lost socks. Its one window looks to the outside but not the garden, and it connects the Music room to the Kitchen and the Downstairs bathroom.

Ivy had gone inside with her father, because it was time for lunch, and she was sent to wash her hands. Normally her father followed her too, she didn't know where he had stopped off at. Maybe he went upstairs. It didn't really matter, she figured. Mama rarely made her wash her hands before eating, she said a little dirt was good for her... but maybe Mama was wrong. Baba didn't get sick, anyway.

But someone was in the bathroom down here, so Ivy decided to wait. More time here meant less time over by the other kids, anyway, she still wasn't looking forward to meeting them. Maybe the person in the bathroom would take all day, and the kids would be gone by the time Ivy was able to wash her hands and go to lunch. So she waited, with her hands in her pockets, rocking on the balls of her feet, and to entertain herself, she sung some silly Arabic ditty under her breath, the way kids from English countries may sing "this is the song that never ends" or other game songs passed down from their parents or their friends, and considering the language, it was pretty obvious it came from her parents. She sang to herself a lot, recently, and never in English. But she hadn't noticed.

It took a bit, but eventually the bathrooms' door opened. There stood Selene, who looked a bit surprised to see the girl there.

She studied her, knowing there was only one possible answer as to who she was. Tall, and looking a lot like her father. Who was a bit too old to have a ten year old... Really. But still, better to have them late than never.

"You must be Ivy. I'm Selene Dunham" she said once he had taken a few steps out the door. Truth be told she was a bit distracted, her last conversation with Mitch had been a bit nerve wracking. For all she knew he was a gossip, after all he must have some vice. Not that she didn't know about those. She'd seen the man smoke plenty of times. It was a disgusting habit. He better not be doing it around children. Maybe she could convince Luka to forbid it entirely.

"It's good to meet you" She added, smiling politely at the girl. It really didn't reach her eyes, again. It was a practiced motion. Nod, and smile, and be polite.

"Hello," Ivy said, keeping her hands in the pockets of her overalls. If her father was in the room, he would have told her to take her hands out, but he wasn't, and she didn't see the point in it. What else were pockets for? She liked her overalls because they had such nice pockets. It was part of why she liked wearing 'boys' clothes. She felt comfortable in both 'boys' and 'girls', and she liked that her parents let her wear both, because she knew from the few friends she had back in Chicago most parents cared a lot about those things. But not her parents. So why have pockets and not put your hands in them? "I know who you are, I saw you, when you were talking to my dad. It's good to meet you too."

Ivy didn't bother smiling. Maybe it was because she could tell Selene's wasn't real. Maybe she just didn't feel like smiling. She didn't really think about it, "I'm not trying to scare you or anything, I was just waiting to wash my hands before I ate. I'm not always sneaking around."

Her posture was godawful, and whatever was she wearing?. It wasn't that bad in that at least she'd be protected while playing outside. It must be the ultimate goal. Or part of it. But there were other kinds of garments she could wear to play outside. Different kinds of dresses. It did raise some concern that Dark was... Probably not raising his daughter the way she'd approve of. But it did evoke some difficult feelings. Did she think of this because She didn't approve, or because she knew her family wouldn't?. They would not stand for it, a Dunham lady wearing this. And they could try and take Olivia away by claiming she couldn't raise her right.

"You didn't scare me dear, it's all good" She answered, probably making a terrible second impression on the girl.

"You look lovely by the way, I do hope we see each other around." She said, with a little sigh. Was it envy she felt creeping in? And was it for her daughter or for herself?. This was being... A very stressful day, at least mentally. Maybe she'd ask Luka to come help her with that later that night, if he wasn't too busy or tired himself.

"I'll leave you to it, young lady. See you in a bit." And with a nod, she turned to leave for the dining-room.

"People always think I'm trying to scare 'em. Them. It's because my family is creepy, and Mama and Baba used to work in a carnival, and Mama never stopped talking to ghosts. But we only sometimes try to scare people." Ivy replied, and smirked slightly as she said it. She had no idea she probably should not be telling Mrs. Dunham about her parents' former employment, because she knew her parents weren't ashamed of it or anything, and she thought it was really cool. She'd join a carnival too one day, probably. But her dad wanted her to finish school first, then decide.

"Thank you," she added, when she was called lovely, and she looked down at her shoes, feeling a little embarrassed. She mumbled that she'd see Selene in the dining room, but then she stopped, and straightened up (suddenly remembering everything her father told her to do), and very politely and cordially--even taking her hands out of her pockets, said, "Yes, I will see you in the dining room Mrs. Dunham... sorry for mumbling. It's just, I forgot the words in English." This was only half true. She did forget the English word for 'dining room,' because she rarely used it, but if she was being fully honest with herself, she wasn't used to adults other than her mom and dad calling her lovely, and it made her forget her manners.

She then scurried into the bathroom to wash her hands, leaving the door open, because she wasn't doing anything private.

Back