Legend of Zelda: Sins of the Father (Book 1, Fan Fiction)

Alissa Ming

Wandering Storyteller
Before I start this, let me make something clear. If you are a fan of Zelda, you most likely will like this little series. I've had a ton of fun working on it, and while it's not complete yet, it's come a long way and is going to go a lot further. For those that haven't ever heard of or played this game series, the lore is at the beginning of each chapter, with the exception of the Prologue. Hope you all enjoy.

View attachment 2212

Prologue
A Not so Innocent Beginning​
It was cold, so cold the man wore a cloak and shivered, being unused to the cold night. He was a tall man, and he wore fancy leather armor. His fire red hair was up in a form of braids. Or rather, being unused to being out on such a cold night. He ground his teeth as his feet stopped landing on dirt road and instead landed on soft sand. Only the princess could have kept him so long as to be in the dead of night as he returned home. He hated her so much, it only hurt more to think about it. However, the man was suddenly taken out of his reverie when a weak crying could be heard. He looked around. It was barely audible as though far away. But he couldn’t even bring himself to believe it could be that far, for it sounded more weak than far. He looked down and was surprised to find a baby lying on the ground. Who could abandon a child too young to take care of itself like that? He wondered. Then again, it didn’t matter. The child would die if left out much longer on a night like this. So he did the only sensible thing he could think of. He picked the child up and took him to his house. There he discovered the child was male.
“What have you there, my lord?” asked a woman’s voice.
“A child,” the man answered. “He was left on his own in the cold. I couldn’t just leave him there.”
The woman replied. “I see, but what do you plan on doing with him now you’ve rescued him.”
“I thought I might see if I can’t find him an adult to take him in.”
“You could do so, my lord.”
“I could…I will admit, I’m not sure if I could trust anyone but myself to do this, but I’ve never been a parent.”
“Nothing could be more fulfilling.”
“I suppose you’re right. Well, it couldn’t hurt I suppose.”
“No, it couldn’t. What will you call him?”
“I think I shall call him Link.”
A pause, and then, “A good name, my lord. A good name indeed.”

Last edited:
Chapter One
Before time began, before spirits and life existed, three Golden Goddesses descended from a Distant Nebula upon the chaos that was Hyrule.
Darkness surrounded the boy. But it wasn’t the night. It was pure evil, and it surrounded him almost completely. And it was coming for him, to destroy him. Leading that evil was a man the boy could not quite make out. And there was a voice calling out to him.Link awake. Link, the time has come...Link…
Link! Link! Wake up lad.” came a welcome voice. Link forced his eyes open and smiled at the man standing above him. Though towered might have been more accurate. The man, Gannondorf was taller than Link, not surprising, since Link was a child. And had it not been for the other Gerudo, Link might have grown up assuming green skin wasn’t that unusual. “Dad!” He said, feeling relieved.
Were you having a nightmare, Link?” asked Gannondorf, concerned.
Yeah…” Link paused, considering how much to say. He didn’t want his father to worry. Then, he continued. “In my dream, I was surrounded by darkness. It was trying to destroy me.
It’s going to be alright son. Nothing’s going to destroy you while I’m around.” Gannondorf was concerned. It sounded familiar, but he couldn’t place why. Nor did it matter. His son needed him.
Thanks, dad. I know you’ll always protect me.” Link smiled in pure relief. He knew his father meant it. After all, Gannondorf had taken Link in when he’d been abandoned without hope of surviving. And Gannondorf had, as Link had become old enough, begun training him in archery and swordplay.
Of course!” Gannondorf answered. “Now, how about breakfast?
That would be great, Dad!” Link jumped up as Gannondorf left. Link changed into the light brown, light clothing of the Gerudo, similar to that which Gannondorf normally wore, unless he was welcoming ambassadors and royals. Then, he wore his best black armor. He looked into the one mirror in his room. The clothing went really well with his blonde hair and green eyes. His ears tapered off into delicate points, just one more thing that made him so different from the people he lived among. Though tan from a lifetime in the desert, he was lighter than a normal Gerudo. Still, he was one of these people. He was learning to be sneaky and clever, like them. Thus, he hadn’t failed to notice, that today, his father was in his armor. Someone important must be coming. Maybe I’ll be allowed to come. I’ll have to ask.
Link and Gannondorf headed downstairs and saw Koume and Kotake bustling around finishing fixing up the meal. There were pancakes today, as well as whatever fruits the two had managed to find. It looked a glorious meal, fit for a king, which made sense. The four ate with gusto. Link had a little of everything, thoroughly enjoying the meal. When the plates were clean, Link asked, “Can we get in some sword training before your meeting?
Well…” Gannondorf hesitated, looking over the dirty dishes. It wouldn’t be fair to ask his foster parents to do them after they made breakfast, but he did want to, and if they did dishes, they probably wouldn’t have time for sword practice before his meeting with that infuriating girl and man.
“Worry not, Lord Gannondorf,” said Koume and Kotake together. “We’ll handle the dishes. Go ahead and train together.”
Thank you Koume and Kotake, you’re the best foster parents a king could have.” Gannondorf stated, as the two walked out to the training field.
The training field was specially prepared for all kinds of activity. The ground, though sandy, was firm enough for running and sudden movements. Around it where targets to be shot at. Some moved, most were still. In one corner was a box of weapons in which were bows and arrows, wooden swords, and various other weapons, the vast majority the wooden variant. And every time they came out, Link looked for the real things, proof that he was ready to move on to the more dangerous stuff. Today, he saw them. Two swords, real ones, sitting outside the box. He didn’t know where Gannondorf had gotten them, but he felt adrenaline pumping through his system as excitement ran through him. “Are...Are we actually using real swords?” Link asked disbelievingly.
Yes, Link. I think you’re ready to move on from the wooden swords. You’ve become quite strong.” Gannondorf smiled at the excitement written all over Link’s face. Even though he couldn’t seem to get his mind off Link’s dream. He may need to use a real sword someday. I just hope that won’t be anytime soon. He’s just a child after all.
Gannondorf, noticing that Link was rather unconcerned by the dream anymore, shoved his dark thoughts aside, picked up both swords, and handed one to Link. It ended up in Link’s left hand. It was small enough for the twelve-year-old boy to hold without too much trouble. He was a pretty strong lad, and he had a lot of confidence.
Alright, Link, let’s start with the basics.
Sounds good.
Good. Now, we’ll start with a stab. And don’t worry about injuring me. I’ll worry about that.
Alright. Got it.
They trained for several minutes on moves Link had already learned: stab, slash, jump strike, side slash, how to defend and how to dodge. Then, Gannondorf said. “Now, let’s fight for ‘real’. You come at me with all you’ve got and we’ll end with that.
Link nodded, and even though he came at Gannondorf with all his skill, he wasn’t quite to a point where he could beat his dad. But he finished off the fight, before Gannondorf knocked him firmly on his rear, with a spinning slash. It was a move that, to the best of Gannondorf’s knowledge, only Link had ever used. It certainly wasn’t something Gannondorf had taught the boy.
Good job, you’re getting better.” Gannondorf beamed down at Link
I didn’t even land a single blow!” Link was panting, and clearly upset.
But you came close. You’ve made progress. Soon you’ll be landing blows yourself. And who knows, you may even be able to beat me one day.
The idea seemed to cheer Link up. He looked up with a small smile.
Now, I’d spar more, but I have a meeting today. If it goes well, I’ll come back and we can spar once more before dinner.
Can I come?
Gannondorf hesitated. Then, “Are you sure? It’ll be pretty boring.
Well I can always leave if I get too bored.
True. Well, alright, if you’re sure, come along.
Link followed Gannondorf toward the meeting room. And since Link could no longer see him, Gannondorf let all the worry finally show.

Last edited:
Chapter Two
These three Golden Goddesses were Din, the Goddess of Power; Nayru, the Goddess of Wisdom; and Farore, the Goddess of Courage.

As Link and Gannondorf entered the meeting hall, Link noticed two people waiting. One was a grown man. He wore red robe that bore a strange pattern, wings on each side of three triangles placed in such a way as to make a whole triangle. His hair was grey with some blonde left over. He wore a fancy looking crown on his head. Unlike Gannondorf, the man was fairly short and round.
The other was a young girl who couldn’t have been much older than Link. That said, she was already almost as tall as the man. She was dainty and thin, but not unhealthily so. She carried herself with a grace and wisdom beyond her years. She wore a long, pink-ish dress that also bore three triangles forming a single bigger triangle. She had very blue eyes and long blonde hair. She and the man were both whiter than anyone Link had ever seen. And they both had pointed ears like him.
She was studying Link intently, and he flushed, suddenly very aware of his attire, and general appearance. However, her attention on him broke when Gannondorf began to speak.
So, King Hyrule, Princess Zelda, to what do I owe this...pleasure.” Link noticed Gannondorf’s rather...unusual tone. In fact, Link had never heard it’s like. It was hatred, anger, and disgust mixed with sarcasm. And it sent terrible shivers down Link’s spine. It was the girl, Zelda, who spoke first.
We were hoping to re-negotiate trade terms.” She sounded confident. Though Link was surprised the king wasn’t speaking. After all, why let his younger daughter do the negotiating.
So, you want to make it better for Hyrule and worse for Gerudo. Is that it?” Gannondorf didn’t notice as Link began to inch slowly and uncomfortably away.
No! We wish to bind our two lands tighter, not widen the gap! We wish for peace!” Her voice, though firm, was kind, understanding, and she seemed to be trying to step on her own volatile emotions. There was clearly no love lost between these groups of people. Link had never felt so much hatred in one room before.
Ha! As if I’d believe that! You dare talk of peace, when after the war we had to rebuild from scratch and you gave us no aid. Some peace.
Link couldn’t help it. He inched a little further from the energy almost literally crackling in the room. But that small movement drew Zelda’s eyes back to him. Her eyes narrowed.
We were rebuilding as well, Lord Gannondorf." Then, with her eyes still on Link, she said. "Tell me, Lord Gannondorf, where did you get the boy?” The tone was suspicious. And Link liked it less than his dad’s anger.
Before Gannondorf could respond, Link’s voice rang out. “Don’t talk to my dad like that! He took me in when my parents abandoned me! He saved my life and loves me like a father! Which he is to me!
I see,” there was pity and sorrow in Zelda’s voice. Perhaps there was even understanding. She wondered if it was really true, or a lie. Gannondorf wasn’t exactly known for telling the truth.
Well, now that that change of topic is over, let’s get down to business. I have no desire to re-negotiate any kind of trade.” Gannondorf’s voice was cold, brutal, and powerful, making Link stagger back in pure fear.
“Is there nothing we can do to convince you of our good intentions?” Hyrule broke in at that point.
Give me the Triforce. It is the only way you can prove yourself.” There was no remorse in Gannondorf’s firm voice.
Hyrule looked at Zelda and she shook her head. “You expect us to just give you a powerful object that our family has been put in charge of protecting for ages? Do you truly believe we can just hand over the power of the goddesses? Do you know what it could do in the wrong hands?” Zelda was trying to sound patient. But it was clear she was annoyed by Gannondorf’s demand.
You don’t seriously believe those stories, do you princess? Your Triforce is nothing more than a symbol. Give it to me. At best, what you say is true, in which case I can use it to make Gerudo prosper! We could survive on our own. And at worst, you believe in fairytales that are not and never have been true. But at least handing over your most precious item would prove your good intentions!
Zelda appeared genuinely sad. “I am sorry, Lord Gannondorf. My father and I cannot give you what you ask for. It is t precious a symbol and we cannot risk it being lost or falling into the wrong hands. It means too much to our people.
Then you have nothing to bargain with. Now, get out!” Gannondorf shouted, enraged. Zelda and Hyrule bowed respectfully, then left.
Link watched his dad simmer. He decided to try to distract Gannondorf. “Hey, dad?
What?!” Gannondorf had never snapped at Link before, but he was still irritated.
What’s a Triforce?
Gannondorf sighed and gave a very brief explanation of how Hyrule was created and what the Triforce was. Or rather what it was supposed to be. But through the explanation, the irritation bled through. At the end, Link only said, “Oh...Well, I’m going to practice archery.
Alright, Link.” Gannondorf felt remorseful for snapping at Link. It wasn’t Link’s fault for his irritation. But he wouldn’t be able to apologize properly until he’d had time to cool off. He watched as Link ran off.
Link left the room and went back to the training field.
****************************************************************************************************************
After Link left, Gannondorf went from feeling just remorseful to feeling outright horrible. He had scared his son, and then brushed him off as just another irritation. What made it worse was Link had defended him to the idiotic king and princess. But he didn’t have long to brood before Koume and Kotake entered his chamber with news. “Lord Gannondorf” said Koume, “Kotake and I followed the Hylian royalty and we heard something interesting. It appears that, while they can’t admit it, they lost the Triforce during the last war. Even if they’d wanted to give it to you, which we doubt, they couldn’t have.”
The news made Gannondorf sit straight. “Well, well. In that case, I’ll just have to find it myself.”
“Yes, well, there’s something else you should know.”
The shout could be heard throughout the Gerudo colony. “WHAT???”

****************************************************************************************************************
Link was in the practice arena, firing arrows with near-perfect precision. However, his mind was elsewhere. He wanted to know more about the people who that pair ruled over. His dad had called them the Hylians in his explanation. If they were like him, they must be his birth race. He wanted to know more about Zelda especially. And he wanted to know more about why his father and the fellow royalty seemed to hate each other so much.
But there was more to it than those desires. It would have been hard to explain to someone, but Link felt himself being...called...to that place. Or at least out of Gerudo. “I can’t tell dad...He’d try to stop me. But I know he’ll forgive me for leaving.” He probably sounded like he was trying to convince himself, but he was determined so he shrugged it off.
Link grabbed a small wood shield, holding it in his right hand, and a scabbard, which he strapped to his back. He then placed the shield on top. He placed one of the swords, left out where he could get at them, into the scabbard. It was the smaller of the two swords, but that was fine. He didn’t need the larger one.
Link left the field, unaware he was being watched up until that point. He didn’t see the two elderly figures flying off in the direction of Gannondorf’s meeting room.
“Are you sure he’s leaving?” Gannondorf asked.
“We saw him grab both a sword and shield before we came to you, Lord Gannondorf.” answered Kotake.
“I...see…”
“Do you want us to stop him? After all, he has no idea the danger he’s getting himself into.”
Gannondorf tried to sound like he didn’t care when he was really terrified for his boy as he said, “No. It’s Link’s choice. I won’t interfere.” Especially since I think my anger at him caused him to leave. I should never have been so short with him…
“As you wish, Lord Gannondorf,” said Koume and Kotake, bowing.
Be safe, Link. Wherever you go. And come home safe, please. Thought Gannondorf, getting ready for his own task.

Last edited:
Chapter Three
Din, with her strong, flaming arms, cultivated the land and created the red earth.

The lad was annoyed. The Great Tree had sent him on some quest searching for a “light” to fight some “darkness” and now here he was in a barren wasteland, that he’d be surprised to find anything living. He’d never seen so little life. He’d spent most of his life in the forest after all. But what was this “light” supposed to look like? Well, from the description, it would look a lot like the lad himself, wear green, and be brave, and that his name would be the name of an ancient hero. Whatever all that meant to anyone. Still, maybe it could just work.
The lad was deep in thought, when he suddenly tripped over a limp figure. A child, like him, with pointed ears, blonde hair, and wearing a light brown tunic. The child, male, was unconscious. Likely from thirst. Concerned, he knelt over the other boy and tried to bring him around, making sure there was water available when he succeeded.

******************************************************************************************************************

Darkness surrounded Link. He was so hot, and tired. He should have brought water. Now he was going to die, and his dad would be so sad. But something in him couldn’t give up. That said, without help, he didn’t have long. All of a sudden, he felt someone touch his shoulder and shake, gently. “Hey, hey, kid, come on. Wake up. Please.
Link groaned softly, and forced his eyes open looking for the other person. He saw another boy a lot like him. The boy wore forest green, his eyes were blue, and his hair was brown. He was holding out a bottle. “Oh good, you’re awake. Here, drink this. But slowly. What are you doing all the way out here? And why don’t you have any water on you?
I’ve never been outside my village further in. Or rather, the few times my dad took me on trips, he always packed. I didn’t realize just how much preparation goes into one of these things.” Link admitted. He made a note to learn what he could when he got a chance. “Thanks, um…
Eli. Call me Eli. And you?
Link
Eli gave Link an odd look at that. Then shrugged and looked away. “Cool. Hey, why don’t you hold onto that water bottle? I have another one so I’ll be alright.
Thanks!” Link said, excitedly.
Sure thing. I mean, what kind of person would I be if I just left you here?
Link shrugged.
Anyway, I have a long journey ahead of me. I should get going. You take care of yourself, alright Link?
Alright. Thanks again!
Link watched Eli walk away, feeling sad. And is if maybe he should have asked Eli to travel with him. Then he shrugged off the feeling, took another drink of water, pushed himself up, and began walking again. He figured he was going in the right direction, if only because he was seeing a little more life as he travelled. That said, he didn’t expect what happened next. He crossed between two large cliffs, across a long bridge and then, suddenly, the desert ended. And an enormous field of green spread out before him. He’d never seen so much life before and for the first time, he understood his father’s anger, at least a little. These...Hylians had so much life, while his own people, adopted though they may be, suffered in the desert. Yet at the same time, he felt bad for these people. They’d never had their metal truly tested by a hard life. Sometimes, only trials could tell you what you are made of. So, no, despite the jealousy that filled him for what he did not have, he was not angry. Not truly, anyway. He just understood his father’s anger a little better.
He traveled until it started to get dark. Once it did, he stopped to camp. It had gotten cold in the desert, but he’d never really been out in weather without his father to help him. Thus building any kind of shelter was a major disaster. Trying for a fire was even worse. He couldn’t get the wood to light. Eventually he gave up, and, since he hadn’t brought anywhere near enough food, he went searching for more. Hunting was pointless, since he couldn’t get the stupid fire started, so he’d have to find something else.
Link managed to find a few berries and a funny-looking plant of some kind. It had a white stem and a hood that what white with red dots. He nibbled experimentally, then threw it in disgust. It didn’t taste very good. He later came across another, similar looking plant, except it was more grey or brown. He tasted it, and it tasted better. Finally, he made it back to his sad excuse of a camp, and...realized just how sick he felt. In fact, that alone would have kept him up all night. But then, it began raining. The rain was cold, and unexpected. It rarely rained in the desert. And the chill and sick kept Link up through the night. And it was cold, sick and miserable that he was found by a tall man.
Oh, my, are you alright, lad?” Asked the man.
Link didn’t dare speak. He shook his head, miserably.
Why you out in this weather with no shelter all night? You look sick. What did you eat last night?
Link opened his mouth, finally and answered, describing the night, and the plant he’d found while looking for food. The man looked absolutely shocked.
You ate a toadstool? You’re lucky you survived!
Toadstool?
A poisonous mushroom. They can be extremely toxic. Like I said, you’re very lucky you survived. My name is Xandar, by the way. I’m a traveler. And you are?
My name’s Link. I’m traveling...or trying too. I’ve never been away from home without my dad.” Xandar couldn’t help but think that, though eleven or twelve, Link was as vulnerable as a small child, and he felt he had to help. For now, he ignored how...familiar the name sounded. This could prove interesting.
Well, as an experienced traveler, I’m sure I could teach you how to survive.
Would you?
Of course, I’d be remiss to leave a helpless child alone in the wild with no chance whatsoever.
Thank you!
Xandar nodded. They would have to take a day off traveling to get Link feeling better again, but that was alright. He could show Link how to build a proper shelter and how to make a fire while they were stuck in one spot.
Over the week it took to travel to Hyrule Castle Town, as Xandar had called it, Link learned how to get and cook meat and all kinds of plants. He learned the difference between plants that were good for him and those that could kill him. He wasn’t sure he understood all of it, but he understood enough. Or rather, he learned that if he had any doubts at all that something might be bad for him, it was better to avoid it, unless there was quite literally no other choice. And even then, he should avoid anything he had doubts about. Link could understand that much in the short time they had. Honestly, he understood a bit more than that, but keeping it simple made it easier to remember than giving complicated instructions. He could look at more details when he made it home.
Finally, however, they arrived at the town. Xandar said, “Well, I think this is where we’re going to part. I have places to be, and this was out of my way, however slightly. Think you can manage from here?
Yeah, thank you, Xandar.” Link said, grateful.
No problem. Well, see you later, Link.” Xandar left, heading off toward the left of the town. Or left while heading away from the town. Link, feeling both sad, and surprisingly relieved, as if a great weight had been lifted from his shoulders. Not something he wanted to be feeling about someone who had helped him so much.

Last edited:
Chapter Four
Nayru poured her wisdom onto the earth and gave the spirit of law to the world, thus establishing order in a formerly chaotic world.

Big, or words similar to it, seemed to be at the forefront of Link’s mind recently. But honestly, he’d never been in places like this, so maybe it was unavoidable. There were so many people here. Link almost felt closed in. Claustrophobic. He closed his eyes for a moment, and took a breath. Nerves as calmed as he could get them, he took a good look around, trying to figure out where to go. But all the buildings towered over him and he couldn’t see any castles anywhere around. So he did the only thing he could think to do, outside of panicking or wandering around aimlessly. He found a nice-looking person and asked for directions.
The woman smiled and, instead of talking to him like some sort of idiot, spoke to him like he was a newcomer, which he was, and gave him detailed instructions. Mostly, it was “walk straight down this path, you can’t miss it.” With such wonderful instructions, Link walked straight until leaving the town itself. He found himself on a dirt path and for just a moment, Link thought he’d gone the wrong way and was back out in the meadow. Then, he realized he was surrounded by cliff sides. He followed the path, and suddenly could see the castle in the distance. That said, it was close. He walked up to the gate and a rather stern looking guard.
Link gathered his courage and went up to the guard. “Can I go in? I want to see the princess.
“Afraid not, kid. The castle is on high alert, and no one can go in except the guards.”
But it’s urgent! I have to see her!
“You and everyone else. Now scoot.”
Link walked away, disappointed, but undeterred. He had to find a way in. He just had too. Then, he heard a familiar voice behind him.
I supposed you could always sneak in, eh, Link?
Eli! What are you doing here?
Honestly? I couldn’t get you off my mind. I knew you were headed in this direction, so I decided to wait for you here. You took longer than I thought you would.
I had some problems on the road.” Link went on to describe what had happened. He even mentioned Xandar and how he’d helped him survive to town.
Xandar huh?” There was worry in Eli’s eyes, then, he changed topic. “You really are hopeless traveling alone. Looks like I’ll have to hang with you to make sure you don’t get into any more trouble. That said, if you were raised by the Gerudo, I’ll only get in your way when you try to sneak in, so I’ll wait out here for you.
Link nodded. Then, he climbed some vines to get beyond the wall. It was harder than it might have been, considering how many guards there were. That said, enough were stationary or had dedicated patrols that he managed not to get spotted. Well, that and all his training from the Gerudo helped. He finally found himself in front of an opening in the side of the castle. He leapt from some boxes into a hole too small for anyone who wasn’t about his size or smaller to get through, and crawled his way inside.
If it was possible, the inside of the castle was worse than the outside. There were fewer guards with clear patrols, and they never seemed to check behind them, or up above. In fact, it was almost insultingly easy for Link to get through the sets of guards, and knew that neither Gannondorf or the other Gerudo would have ever allowed such laziness. That said, there was a tricky spot where one of the guards was moving faster with a second guard moving more slowly. That said, he wasn’t stuck there more than the couple rounds it took to memorize their patterns and slip past them. Then, he was in a large room, with Zelda standing at the end, looking in Link’s direction.
Zelda’s mouth was open in surprise, but she showed no sign of screaming. “How did you get past the guards? Wait...I’ve seen you before. You’re the adopted son of Gannondorf. The Hylian boy raised by Gerudo. ...Of course! You were raised by the Gerudo! The question is, did the King of Thieves send you, or did you come on your own?
Hey! We only steal because we have to in order to survive! You don’t know what it’s like, living in all this luxury. And just so you know, my dad didn’t kidnap me or steal me away. He’s my family!
Forgive me. I didn’t mean to insult you. Though you must be aware our peoples do not get along well.
Yeah, I noticed. Dad was furious. But seeing where you live, I think I get it. At least a little.
The Gerudo and Hylians have a long history of dislike and distrust. At one time, another man who bore Gannondorf’s name brought down the royal family and took over, bringing Hyrule into a time of despair. Only pure fortune gave my family back control. That man is long since dead, but Hyrule has been a long time recovering. Unfortunately, it has not helped matters, though my father and I have been trying to strengthen ties with the Gerudo.” Link heard the sadness in Zelda’s voice. His heart went out to her. He wanted to make her happy, help in her quest.
Zelda,” Link went to one knee before her, “Let me help you in your quest to bring our two people close together. It may only be by adoption, but the Gerudo are my people. And I want us to be able to get along. Tell me how I can help.
Zelda looked stunned. Then, after a moment of silent thought she said, “Well, I do need to send a message to the Goron. And my servant, Impa, is away on other business. I would appreciate it if you would take it for me. After that, what you can do is speak well of me to your father. See if you can start to bring him around. Or...nevermind. What say you?
I’ll do it.” Link wondered what she’d left unsaid. But he wanted to help her. Closer ties could help his people. Zelda handed him a letter, giving him directions to a town springing up just outside a mountain called Death Mountain. Link wasn’t sure if he should be happy it was called Death. It felt...ominous. But he took the letter, and left the castle, sneaking his way out the way he came in.
******************************************************************************************************************
Zelda watched as the boy, Link, left and sighed. “Penny for your thoughts, Princess?” A woman suddenly appeared in front of her, wearing black clothes. The shirt had an eye pattern with a tear going down the shirt.
“You need to be more careful, Impa. You could have made all my truths into lies.”
Are you sure about him?
Zelda paused, then, “As sure as I can be. He is honest and sincere. And I have a good feeling about him. But only time will tell. Now, go do what I asked of you.”
Impa bowed. Her hand flashed downward. There was a puff of smoke and she was gone, leaving Zelda to her thoughts.

Outside, more or less where he had left him, Link found Eli waiting. He was still wearing that forest green tunic he’d been wearing when they’d first met.
So, how’d it go?
It went well. I just have one more place to go, and then I can go home.
Well, then, let’s get to it. Where are we headed?
Death Mountain. To the Gorons.
Sounds good to me.
They left the area, and went back towards Hyrule Field, heading toward the newly re-started Kakariko Village.

Last edited:
Chapter Five
Farore, with her rich soul, produced all life forms that would uphold the law established by Nayru.
It didn’t take nearly as long to get to the new village as it took Link to get to Hyrule Castle Town. That was either because of Eli, or because the new village wasn’t nearly as far away from the town as Gerudo Desert was. Or maybe it was a mixture of both. Link wasn’t entirely sure, as he and Eli talked happily on their trip. Then, they arrived. After seeing so many large places, Link could only describe the village as tiny, or even quaint. In fact, it was smaller than the Gerudo camp. Though maybe that was to be expected, since the village was only just starting. Link looked around, and thought maybe he could see rubble in places that hadn’t been cleared, as if there’d been a village here once that had been destroyed, or left in ruins. It was hard to tell, as many of the mounds were covered by green. Moss, or grass maybe. Then, Link looked to his left, and could see Death Mountain looming in the distance.
Is that where we’re going?” Asked Link.
Yes” Eli replied. Link looked up again, trying to figure out just how large the mountain was.
What kind of name is Death Mountain?
If I had to guess, I’d say not many people make it up there. But we’re going to have to. From what I hear, the Gorons aren’t always accepting to outsiders, but they’re allies with the royal family, so…
So the letter Princess Zelda gave me should help with that. Not that it matters. I’m only supposed to deliver it.
Eli nodded. Then the two boys started up the path that lead to the mountain. It was a long, treacherous journey. The mountain was well named, as there were monsters a plenty and lots of places to fall to their deaths. The occasional rolling boulders, a couple of them actually Gorons, didn’t help any. But they eventually made. Not to the top, but to a cave in the mountain.
This is where the Gorons live.” Eli said. “It’s said they survive by eating rocks. Weird if you ask me, but whatever. Everyone is different.
Link nodded. And they entered the cave, and went looking for the Goron leader. Link had to ask many Gorons, and what strange looking creatures Gorons were. They were like living boulders. However, eventually, Link found the correct Goron near the back of the cave.
Excuse me, are you the Goron leader?
Yes, little one. My name is Daruma. Why do you ask?
I was asked to deliver this.” Link handed Daruma Zelda’s letter, then waited. Daruma read the letter through.
Thank you, lad. I appreciate it. I’ll have a reply in a moment. I’m sure Zelda will want to hear about our most recent problem.
What’s wrong?
The cave where we mine the rocks we eat has been taken over by a dragon. We can’t get at our main source of food. And we can’t eat just any rocks.
Link thought on that. He wasn’t sure why, but he felt he should help. “Maybe...I could take a look?
Are you sure, lad?
Link nodded.
Thank you. I appreciate it.” Daruma gave Link directions to the cave, and Link, with Eli trailing behind, went to take a look.
The cave was dark. And, for a moment, Link felt just a bit claustrophobic. However, he shook it off as the boys went further in. There was red stuff all around. “What is that stuff?” Link asked. It was hot in here, and he didn’t like how it looked.
It’s lava. Don’t touch it. It’s really dangerous stuff and will burn you alive.
Good to know.
Like I said, helpless on your own.
Link didn’t say anything. After all, he couldn’t do anything but agree. He was so new to this, that he kept getting into trouble on his own. Though maybe this wasn’t such a good sign that he had any capability to stay out of trouble, with or without a friend.
The two boys traveled throughout the cave, finding their way through puzzles, and traps. They were careful to jump the lava where they had to. And Link found a bag of bombs, that he used with caution. He strapped it to his money pouch, so that it was within easy reach. He would occasionally find more bombs, but he was still pretty careful about what he had.
After a while, they found themselves in a wide chamber with torches around them. Eli waited outside of the room and inside was the dragon.
“Well, lad, you have made it so far. What brings you to my lair?”
You’re intruding on the lives of the Goron’s.
“I think you are mistaken, lad. I was here first. It is them that are intruding on me.” Dragons have a way about them. They can convince certain people to kill their own mothers if they set their minds too it. But something sounded off to Link. It rang false, not true.
You’re a trespasser and a liar. Leave.
The dragon was stunned. Never had his web failed him. And he was unsure where to go when a voice came from behind him.
Kill the boy, dragon. He is the hero. Only the hero could resist you.
“I see. Then I shall.”
The dragon attacked. Link’s first battle had begun. He used his bow and arrows when it was flying, and struck with his sword when it came close enough, until finally, he struck it down and it died.
Oh, very good, very good. I see I underestimated you, lad. Though I supposed I shouldn’t have, should I...Link. You do remember me, don’t you?” A man stepped into Link’s view. He was light grey and wore white clothes and a red cloak. Link had never seen him before. And yet there was something familiar about him. “I see you don’t remember me. A shame too, after all the times I tried to kill you when last we met. Well, I suppose I’ll just have to try again.
The man ran off, hitting a wall as he went with all his strength. And the cave rumbled. Eli came running in as the entrance collapsed. “Link! We have to get out of here!
Tell me something I don’t know. But how?
Quick, look for a passage out.
The boys looked and felt the walls rapidly, as the cave started coming down around them.

Last edited:
Chapter Six
The three great goddesses, their labors completed, departed for the heavens.
Word spread so fast of the cave in, it was actually pretty incredible. The rumors of a Gerudan boy being caught in the cave in, and failing to make it out reached Gannondorf within a week. Then Zelda's letter, expressing her own personal sorrow at the tragedy arrived, and he knew. He just knew. His boy had been killed by the Princess, and his rage new no bounds. "Kome! Kotake! We must make plans. I will avenge my son. I will destroy Hyrule until there is nothing left of those people! We will not stop until my murdered son has been avenged!"
"Yes, my lord," Kome and Kotake felt very sad. They had liked the young lad, and knew Gannondorf cared greatly for him. They would do whatever they could to help him avenge Link's death.
**********************************************************************************************************************************
In a passage just to one side of the collapsed cave, two young boys panted and heaved, taking a breather.
"That...was too close, Eli..." Link panted.
"
Agreed. We almost died there. Where do you think this passage goes?"
"
With any luck, out of here." The two boys, one in light brown, the other in forest green walked down the passage. It was too narrow for them to walk side by side, so Link took the lead. There were no forks the entire way down. And it was continually sloping down. As they walked forward, they started to see light at the end.
"
Oh thank goodness." Link hurried forward, then stopped so abruptly Eli nearly walked into him.
"
What is it, Link?"
"
Listen." They both listened. They could hear birds chirping, water gurgling, and...music. It was a jaunty tune, and made Link want to start dancing.
Then Eli gasped, "
That's Skull Kid. He plays the flute. We must be near Lost Woods. I didn't realize Lost Woods connected to Death Mountain. Link, you're going to want to stay close. It's really easy to get lost in the woods if you're not a child of the forest. And if you get lost, you'll get turned into a Skull Kid. If you were an adult, you'd become a Stalfos, but since you're a kid, you'll become a Skull Kid."
Link nodded, though he didn't understand completely. He did, however, trust Eli. He scrunched against the wall so Eli could take the lead. It was a tight squeeze, but Eli managed to get in front, and they continued on their way. They finally made it out to the foot of Lost Woods. Eli led the way, and Link was glad. The forest was confusing, and he would have gotten lost on his own. But Eli seemed to know his way around, at least a little. But even Eli had to stop to reconfirm his bearings from time to time. But eventually, they made it out of the woods. It didn't take long for them to get to a lake, before the sun set. They set up camp beside the lake. All that fresh water made it the perfect place to camp for the night. Link and Eli went looking for food as well, and set up a shelter. Then they settled down. The sun was beginning to set, when it happened.
The lake flashed brightly, blinding both boys, and a light ram appeared before Link and Eli. "
Oh, young hero, you have done well to make it this far. But I fear your task is far from over. A great evil, once limited and sealed away is returning to Hyrule. Everyone is in danger. You must be brave and face this darkness."
"
I'm sorry, are you talking to me?"
"
Yes. You are Link, Hero of Hyrule, as has always been your destiny. You have suffered much, but you have helped so many as the ages pass, and the Hero's spirit goes from one vessel to another."
"
You must be mistaken. I'm just Link. I'm no hero."
"
Only a hero could have avoided the dragon's lies. Only a hero would have gone to help the Gorons. You have felt something calling you to be greater than you thought you could be. Link, Hero of Hyrule, take this and wear it well." Link looked at himself, in shock. He instead of wearing his Gerudo garb, he was wearing a forest green tunic, white leggings, brown leather gauntlets, and a green stocking cap with a yellow stripe at the base. His boots were brown leather, rather than the sandals he'd worn starting this adventure. He wasn't sure what to think, or say.
"
Seek the Master Sword, Link. It has the power to defeat evil. It will help you on your journey."
As suddenly as it appeared, the light ram vanished, and Link plopped down, wondering what that had been all about. What had just happened? He wasn't a hero. He was just himself. But as he thought that, he realized, if there was evil in the world, he couldn't just stand by and let it come. He had to face it, head on. And the best way to do that was to find the Master Sword. He would have to go back to Hyrule, to see if Zelda had any advice on how to proceed. Without anymore second thoughts, he told Eli his plan.

Last edited:
Chapter Seven
And golden sacred triangles remained at the point where the goddesses left the world.
From the Lost Woods it took nearly two weeks for the two boys to get to Hyrule Castle Town. When they got there, they headed directly to the castle itself. They were debating if Link would have to sneak in again, though Link wanted Eli to come this time, and if he snuck in Eli wouldn't be able to do that, when a tall woman appeared before them in a puff of smoke. She had an orange tattoo on her eye that looked like two triangles, one above the eye and one below the eye. She wore dark clothes. On the top part, was an eye with a single tear dripping down the center. "Are you Link?" She asked. Link nodded. "Come with me. I will take you to see the Princess. We must hurry. She will be eager to see you. You can bring your friend along too. My name is Impa, by the way. I serve the princess." Link and Eli quickly followed her. The guards looked unhappy, but didn't argue with Impa as she led them into the castle courtyard. Zelda was not looking their way, but her body language was troubled. It made Link upset to see the stress in her shoulders. "Princess Zelda, I have returned."
"
Thank you, Impa. I'll let you know when I have more for you to do." Her voice was sad, and she refused to turn around.
"
Princess, what is bothering you?" Link asked. Zelda gasped and whipped around.
"
You! You're alive!"
"
Why wouldn't I be?"
"
We heard about the cave in. Everyone thought you had died in it. Including...your father..."
Link collapsed at that, falling to his knees. It couldn't be true. His father didn't think he was dead. But he would have thought he was dead without proof. But Zelda wasn't done. "
He...he's declared war on my people, Link. He thinks we killed you. That I killed you when I sent you to the Gorons. That I asked them to send you on a dangerous mission. But I swear, I didn't. I only wanted the letter delivered. I'd never have requested you do something so dangerous."
"
I know. Or I figured. I voluntered to do that."
"
I thought you might have, but Gannondorf won't believe me unless you go to him."
"
I can't. Not yet. I have to find the Master Sword. We're all in danger."
"
We are all in danger anyway. But, yes, you need the Master Sword. I have heard rumors that it sleeps in the Lost Woods."
Link and Eli both groaned. "
We just came from there." Link explained to a confused Zelda. She nodded.
"
By the way, Link, you look very dashing in your new outfit." Link blushed and muttered a thanks.
Then, Eli said, "
Alright, enough talk. If it's back in the Lost Woods, then it's back to the Lost woods we go. But we need to hurry."
"
Yes, you do, but there's a little more you don't know. Gannondorf is determined to seize the Triforce. We cannot protect it. It's not here, and hasn't been in a very long time. It vanished in the last war." Link nodded in understanding.
"
So our goals, in order, are to find the Master Sword, stop dad, and find the Triforce?"
"
Don't forget we need to stop this returning evil."
"
That too."
Zelda nodded. "
Then we have a plan. Go now, and please hurry. I don't know how much time we have."

Chapter Eight
View attachment 2518
Since then, the Triforce has been both a blessing and a curse to Hyrule. It's power drew dangerous people.
Link left with Eli. It had taken them two weeks to get from the lake where Link had been given the Hero's Garb. It would take at the very least a week to get back, and that was if they didn't stop until it was already dark. And they needed the time to set up camp. It took another two weeks to get back to the entrance of the Lost Woods. "How are we going to find the Master Sword in that mess of a forest?" Link asked.
"
I'm not entirely sure, though I heard a legend once that music will lead the way to a place in the Lost Woods. So maybe if we follow the Skull Kid's music, we'll find what we're looking for."
Link nodded, and listened. He could hear it. It was barely there, but he could here it. He moved slightly in one direction, listening. It got louder as he moved closer to the entrance and softer as he edged away from the entrance. "
Alright, so the music should get louder if we're going the correct direction. And softer if we're not." It was Eli's turn to nod, and the two boys made their way through the entrance. It wasn't easy, following the music. Sometimes it didn't seem to get any closer, though they always managed to follow. Eventually, they ended up in a dead end, and the music wasn't playing any more. Link looked around, the dead end was clear of trees. As he scanned, he noticed a stone pedestal in the center. He approached cautiously. In the center of the pedestal, was sunk a sword. It had wings decorating it's guard. And they and the hilt were blue. It had a small nick that caused the sword to curve in on both sides. Without doubt, this had to be the Master Sword. Link approached even more cautiously than before, and laid his hand on the sword. He tugged, and with some effort, managed to get it out. He examined the blade, shining and magnificent. It made the sword he'd brought from home look sad, and neglected. But he couldn't just leave that sword here either. "Eli, can you hold onto this for me?" Link held out the sword he'd brought with him from home.
"
Sure. Heck, maybe I can even help you by using it, though I'm not much of a fighter."
"
As long as you don't hit me, that's fine."
"
I'm not that terrible." The boys both laughed, and then made their way out of the Lost Woods.
********************************************************************************************************************************
The rage fueled something dark and ugly inside him, as he led his army ever closer to Hyrule and the Hylians. He'd always known he could be dangerous angry. Now he had no reason to contain it. And something inside him continued to egg him on. He would not, could not stop. Not until every last one of the over blessed, over confident...people that had cost him his son. The boy he'd raised since finding him that cold cold night, who he loved more than life. Gone forever. And he would never forgive or forget. He unleashed the evil in him, gave himself too it. And only when he was done, would he allow himself to rest.
********************************************************************************************************************************
Link, sword in hand, went in search of his father, Eli following behind. He knew who he could ask. Kome and Kotake, his foster grandmothers. But would they recognize him? Not only had it been a while, but they, like Gannondorf, considered him dead. And he no longer looked like much of a Gerudo. He was still tan, but he didn't wear the garb. And he wasn't sure how to feel about that. It didn't matter. He'd been on this journey for about a half a year. And it would take at least four more weeks to cross Hyrule Field toward Gerudo Desert. He longed to be home. To hug his father and tell him that he was alright. And he hoped he would get to. But first, he had to find him. And it would be a long journey.

Last edited:
Chapter Nine
View attachment 2497
The First War against the demon Demise was a brutal one. The only reason Hylians survived, was because the Goddess Hylia sent them into the sky, and because of the first hero, Link, rescued from the dungeons to lead his people to safety.
Link was fairly certain Kome and Kotake would be back in Gerudo. Just as he was sure they would know where Gannondorf was, if his father wasn't in Gerudo currently. He hoped they would know him. In fact he was reasonably sure they would. Still...he stopped by Hyrule Castle one more time, to inform Zelda of his progress. When he did, she gave him a splendid shield. It was blue with the Triforce on top of a bird-looking thing. The bird figure was red, and its wings were outstretched. And it wasn't too heavy. He gave the shield he'd taken with him from home to Eli as well. Then the two left, and traveled the week's journey to Gerudo.
Gerudo was so familiar to Link, after a year of being gone, it made his heart ache. Unfortunately his new clothing was very hot for a desert. So they were going through their water fairly quickly. Which probably made it a good thing that the place where Link had grown up wasn't much more than a day away. But the little village was more or less deserted, except for a few guards. Link recognized most of them. He'd grown up around them. He debated going up to them, asking where everyone else was. Then decided that he should get in some more stealth practice. For now. He eventually made it to a woman named Nabooru, who was typically in charge whenever Gannondorf was away. He snuck behind her. Something he had done hundreds of times when they'd trained him in sneaking about, and tapped her sword.
"
Hah! Got you Nabooru." So fast, Link nearly didn't back away fast enough, Nabooru was turning around, drawing her weapon in startlement. Then, in complete shock, she looked at him.
"Link???" She asked, incredulously. "Oh my goodness...Link...how?"
Link blinked at her reaction. Both her reactions. It took him a moment to compose himself before he could even begin to explain. But he managed. Outlining his long journey, the fight against the dragon, and how he and Eli had found a passage that lead out before the cave had completely collapsed. He told her about the Lost Woods, the spirit at the lake, and his journey back to them, including getting the Master Sword, and the evil starting to rise again. "
And now we're here. But were's dad? And if you don't know that, then where are Kome and Kotake?"
"I...I believe Kome and Kotake are at the temple. I'm not quite sure where Lord Gannondorf is right now though. Are you going after him?"
"
I am. If this evil is truly as bad as I think it is, our nations can't afford to fight each other. We need to unite. And in order for that to happen, I need to tell Dad I'm alive."
"He'll be overjoyed, I'm sure. Just be careful. He's very angry, and you don't look quite like you anymore. So he may decide you're one of them. I know you aren't Gerudo by blood, and that will just make it worse."
"
I will. Thank you, Nabooru."
"You're welcome, Link. Now hurry. I don't know how much time you have left."
Link nodded and he and Eli took off, Link leading the way, first to his home, where they refilled their water bottles, then to the temple, to find Kome and Kotake.
There was only one reason for Kome and Kotake to be at the temple. While Gannondorf was starting a war, they would be mourning, and finding what power they could from the temple. Link pushed open the door, calling out. "
Kome? Kotake? Are you in here?" There was no answer. They must be further in. Link gestured for Eli to follow, who drew sword and shield, and followed behind, watching Link's back.
They made their way deeper into the temple, fighting all kinds of creatures that were in there. Link felt little fear, especially with his good friend Eli watching his back. Finally, they made it to the center, where Link saw Kome and Kotake. "
Wait here, Eli, I'm going to try to talk to them, and if things get ugly...well..."
"
I'm still not the best with a sword. I'd only get in the way. Don't worry, Link. I understand. I'll keep an eye down here and make sure some of the lesser beasties don't try to attack you while you're distracted."
Link nodded gratefully and approached with caution. As he climbed one of the pillars, Kome and Kotake turned, and Link flinched at the anger radiating from them as they saw him.
"So, the Hylian Princess doesn't just see fit to murder young Link, but now she sends a Hylian boy to enter our sacred spaces? This will not stand!" cried Kome and Kotake.
"
Wait!" Link didn't get to finish before they attacked. And he was forced to defend himself. It was a hard battle, made all the harder that really, Link didn't want to hurt them. They attacked using magic, Link used the skills he'd learned to dodge and attack back. Finally, it was over. They couldn't fight anymore.
"Well? What are you waiting for?" Kome asked. "Finish it."
"
The last thing I want is to hurt you. Can't you understand that?" They looked confused, so Link continued. "Kome, Kotake, don't you recognize me? I really hope you do. Because I remember every time you let me and dad skive of chores so we could train in the arena. I could never forget all you've been to me."
"Link?" Kotake and Kome both asked. "You're alive?"
"
Yes. Though it was admittedly pretty close."
Kome and Kotake rushed Link, not in an attack, but in a hug. As they did so, Eli climbed up to watch. "Who is he, Link?"
"
This is Eli. We're traveling together. He's the reason I'm alive." They nodded, and smiled at Eli.
"Thank you for watching over Link."
"
It's no problem. Really." Eli said uncomfortably.
"
Now, Kome, Kotake. Where is dad? I need to find him."
Link listened, frowning, as they told him.

Chapter Ten
Though the first hero fell, and did not go with the Hyrulians to the sky, his legacy did not go away. The Goddess Hylia decided to return as a mortal, so that they could meet again one day, as equals.
Link and Eli made their way through the desert, Kome and Kotake leading the way. They had told Link everything, but they were determined to show him the way. As a way of declaring who he was to the world, or just as a way of apologizing for their previous behavior and for not recognizing him. Link didn't know what their exact reasons were, and he didn't especially care. Once they got close, he would have to convince them to stay behind. He didn't want his dad to accuse them of treachery, if Gannondorf didn't recognize Link when they brought him there. Still, Link was troubled. He knew his father had a temper. He couldn't not know after the way they parted ways a year ago. But...this seemed...different somehow. Different to the anger of a father for the loss of a son. He could be wrong though. After all, he didn't know how he would have reacted had it been the other way around.
The group traveled for two weeks before reaching the camp. Then, Link spoke "Kome, Kotake, Eli, I think it would be better if I went to my dad by myself. If he's as mad at the Hylians as you say, I don't want any of you involved in the fight that will come of this. And I don't want dad to think his foster parents have betrayed him too." Kome and Kotake opened their mouths as if to refuse, then closed them as they thought about it. They nodded unhappy agreement. What Link said made sense. Eli nodded as well. "Good. Well, I'll be back. And I'll get through to him...somehow."
**********************************************************************************************************************************

Gannondorf looked up as silence suddenly surrounded him. He scowled as he saw the source of the silence. The boy walking calmly toward him looked a bit like Link. He was about the right age, too. But his clothes were all wrong. And he walked like a warrior, not a young boy. The green-clad youth carried a sword that looked well made, and powerful, his shield was metal. He was Hylian, like the rest of the scum he sought to destroy. He watched, waiting to see what would happen. However, the boy didn't speak. He stood there, as though waiting, finally Gannondorf spoke, injecting all his venomous hatred into the words, "What do you want, boy? Have you come to die?"
Link almost staggered back in pure shock. Gannondorf had never ever spoken to him like that. But he didn't, though his eyes flickered in pain, as Gannondorf proved he had not recognized his adopted son. Link debated for a few minutes how to answer. Then, "
No, I'm here to stop you from making a big mistake."
Gannondorf looked at Link, and there was no smile, no laughter, only anger and hatred in his eyes. "
And who are you, to think that you can stop me? What is your name, boy?" His words were devoid of any kindness or compassion, and Link gulped. This would not be fun. But he didn't back down.
"
My name is Link." He declared, boldly, and almost smiled in grim amusement as Gannondorf visibly staggered backwards at the name. Then it was Link's turn to back away, as Gannondorf's fury broke.
"
How DARE that...woman...send someone with my son's name here? Hasn't she done enough damage? For all her talk of 'wanting to bring us closer,' she has the audacity to do this!"
"
I...don't you recognize me at all?" There was a note of sadness in Link's voice. As if he were on the verge of tears. And Gannondorf never heard it. He was too angry, too hurt, to hear the small notes that would have otherwise made him aware that this "mighty warrior" was a young boy, who only wanted his dad back.
"
I do not. Nor should I. And I am done with this conversation. The princess has obviously sent a child as her champion. Well, champion, have at you." With those words, Gannondorf attacked.

Chapter Eleven
Many years passed both for Skyloft, and the world below. Eventually, a knight in training named Link, and his best friend, Zelda made their way to the world below.
Link wasn't prepared. There was no way he could have been prepared. Nothing would have hinted at something like this, or the sheer power Gannondorf had. Link had grown a lot. He was more powerful than he ever had been, but it had never really crossed his mind just how easy Gannondorf had been taking it on him when they trained. Link pedaled backwards as Gannondorf's attack took him off guard. Not by surprise, for Link had suspected it was coming, though the ferocity did surprise him. But none of that mattered as Link frantically defended himself from Gannondorf. He looked for any opening, any weakness he could use. But this was different from the fights against the monsters he'd come across. It was different from the training he and Gannondorf had done. It was a fight for his very life, complicated by the fact that he didn't want to hurt Gannondorf. Whereas Gannondorf was clearly trying to kill Link. Link could barely defend himself, much less attack back. He almost didn't have time to think. He reacted.
Link could only think of one way to make Gannondorf stop and listen. He just had to wait for the perfect opportunity to strike. It came, Link would never be able to describe how he knew he had his moment. Not in the heat of it, and without conscious thought. But he knew. It was the perfect moment. Possibly the only one he would get. Link spun. He spun in a circle, just grazing Gannondorf with his blade, just enough to cause Gannondorf to stop, confused. He had only ever seen one person use that particular move. But...it wasn't possible...
"
L...Link?" Gannondorf asked, incredulously.
"
Hey, dad, it's been a while." Link smiled, though he was panting, and he was bleeding just a little, from a scratch on his head and one on his arm. Two wounds where he hadn't been quite quick enough in dodging or defending.
"
Link...I...I'm so sorry...I..." Link held up a hand, stopping Gannondorf's rambling apology.
"
It's fine, dad. I'm fine. Though when we go back to training together, maybe we should go all out?" Gannondorf chuckled at that.
Then, Gannondorf, as happy as he was, had to ask. "
How?" He wasn't sure he wanted that question answered. As if Link would be unable too, and as if that would somehow make this all a wonderful dream.
"
I'm not sure I would have, if it weren't for the friend I made along the way."
"
Yeah? And who is your friend?"
Link called over to Eli, and he, and Kome and Kotake came over.
"
Kome and Kotake showed me where you were." Link explained to Gannondorf, who beamed at his foster parents. "And this," Link gestured at Eli, "is Eli, Dad. He helped me get out of the cave when it collapsed."
"
Eli, thank you. I mean it." Gannondorf said sincerely. Eli shrugged uncomfortably, then smiled.
"
It was my pleasure, sir. Link's a good kid."
"
That he is...that he is..." Gannondorf embraced the boys, his joy so strong it hurt. Suddenly, as Link felt his heart about to burst, he heard his father's voice again. But this time, there was something different and wrong about it. "Yes, Eli, thank you so much for making sure the hero didn't die, you foolish boy."
"
Dad?" Link asked uncertainly. He didn't like this sudden change.
"
Ah, I see I have arrived in time. Welcome back, master." Said the man in the cave. The man who had tried to kill Link and Eli.
"
Ghirahim. My servant and blade. How long it has been."
"
It has been a while. Young hero, allow me to introduce you, or should I say re-introduce you, to Demise. Or a part of Demise. I don't think you are yet at full power, my lord?"
"
That is correct. Not that it matters."
"
My lord, I had hoped your path would be unimpeded by the hero. I caused a cave in to try to kill him. Though I'll admit, that I knew that at least if it hadn't worked, it would make him worthy of you."
"
I supposed you are right. After all, I would not want to face someone who died so easily. But at the same time, I'm glad that you failed. I wish to kill the hero myself."
As the two talked, Eli tugged Link's arm. "
Link we have to go. Now."
"
Not without my dad!" Link said, stubbornly
"
Link, you're never going to win this one. Not without a plan. He's distracted. We have to go."
Link nodded, unwillingly. He gestured to those around him, and they ran. And he regretted his cowardice. Tears flowed down his eyes, as he, and the Gerudo with him, made their way to Hyrule Castle.
I'll free you, dad. One day, some how, I'll free you. I'll find a way. I swear it.

End Book 1

Back