LGBTQ+ rights matter! What's your story?

AmatsuOtaku

Professional fanboy
So with all the insanity and the protests etc that're going on right now, we might as well discuss what is (in my opinion) one of the biggest issues with society. While some people are willing to accept others for who they are, some people are still homophobic, transphobic, or just straight up hateful.

I am very lucky to have grown up in a family that respects peoples' preferences. I tried so hard to pretend I was straight but once I came out and told everyone I wasn't my mom said she already knew xD at this point even two of my siblings ship me and my future gf. I'm pans btw
Also prepare for a bit of ranting lmao

There's this bi girl in my neighborhood who I've really liked for a while now. It's been longer than 4 months, the normal duration of a simple crush, so it's clear I'm already in love. She initially said she just wanted to be friends because she was already dating someone else. She broke up with him a couple months ago. I dunno if it was because of me in some way, I feel like it was but it was still 100% her decision. Heck, I even tried to talk her out of it, 'cause her bf was a nice guy.

Anyway, we can't see each other because of the pandemic but we fully intend to get together once school starts up again. She's a really nice girl (she bought me some small gifts last Christmas even after I told her I didn't want her to get me anything. I loved them anyway) I always buy her little gifts like some chocolate or a small plushie, for holidays or just whenever I feel like she needs cheering up. Every time I give her something I tie a ribbon around it in her favorite color and it seems to make her really happy. I really love this girl and I hope things work out.

In my school district there's a thing called the Gay-Straight Alliance. I will definitely be joining this group next semester.

Anyway, that's my story. What about the rest of you guys?

Fun fact... not actually out to anyone yet, because I’m still not 100% sure how I feel. And I want that before I go telling people. But the fact I said that, means I guess I’m semi out now?.. but yeah XD my story is, I have an idea so what I like in my head, but I have yet to experience stuff so I am currently experimenting with that so... I’m at the beginning of my story I guess ^-^ so not much to say XD

It’s cool that you have that kinda club at school! And, I hope things work out for you and that girl ^-^

Earlier this lockdown I realised I'm not straight. I'd been thinking about it for a long time before hand, but I wasn't really sure. In like, year 6 I had a crush on this girl but I was tOTALLY tsundere with her until I got too know her better. recently, i've decided that i'm bisexual (with help from anime lol). Ive come out too 3 of my friends but not my parents, the thought of telling them scaRES me, even though I know they'll be supportive.
The thing that probably determined that I wasn't straight, was the anime girls in Dangaronpa and Natsuki (obviously).
Thats my story :)

I'm bisexual panromantic and I haven't come out to anyone yet, which I don't know why. My sister is in an LGBTQ+ choir, my mom, well, duh, and I'm sure my friends would accept me because my sexuality isn't a big part of my character. So, I'm not telling anyone but the internet for no reason.

I apologize in advance for the long post. A lil update on my situation with that girl; we're together now and both very proud to be part of the LGBTQ+ community as a FxF couple! (Bisexual x Pansexual/panromantic). We should be able to see each other again for the first time after about 5 months in the next few weeks, as we both have upcoming birthdays.

We both rp for fun, although she isn't on any forums (which might be a good thing actually, she can't see me gushing about her online xD), and we've given each other a few nicknames relating to our characters.

She's my Maka, I'm her Crona! We're the real-life CroMa! It's really strange how similar our story and personalities are to CroMa, and yes this will be full of references only Soul Eater fans will understand;

I was a depressed (and very shy) loner who didn't know how to deal with people. I avoided social interaction entirely. But then, she noticed how lonely I truly was, and wanted to get rid of the darkness, the hell inside my head. She got to me somehow, she finally figured out how to connect with me. She got in my head and erased my circle, the circle of self-isolation I hid inside.
At that point I'd accepted that there was nothing left for me in this world, that it would be better if I just disappeared, and was trying to gather the courage to end it all. She reached out to me and became my very first friend, after nearly a whole YEAR of that painful isolation.

Now I've become very attached to her, kind of still avoiding some interactions and letting her carry on conversations when we're talking to another non-mutual friend. I'm extremely protective and a little possessive but she doesn't mind it (I'm yeredere, yandere-deredere but could be considered dorodere, I'm obsessive but not violent unless someone hurts her or starts acting inappropriately towards her. We have a mutual gay friend who plays around a lot, and since he's gay I know he's not serious but it still ticks me off). We were kinda playfully flirting and have been a little closer than normal friends for a while, but not really serious until now. She kinda asked me out of the blue a few days ago if I wanted to be an official couple, I guess she got tired of dancing around our feelings lol.

Anyways, being an aspiring mangakka, I plan on turning our story into a manga someday! I'm still improving my art and starting to draw a few small comics. She really cares about me a lot, so much so whenever I'm acting even a little bit depressed she tries to cheer me up. She knows I'm still depressed and nihilistic after everything she's done to help, but refuses to give up no matter how many times I tell her not to worry.

I have high hopes for the future of our relationship. I've dated two people before meeting her, both guys, and they kinda let me down. Couldn't match my fierce loyalty nor handle me constantly seeking affection. They seemed to think I over-exaggerated my depression, when really I just didn't tell them about the worst of it. She understands and knows how to make me happy, on the other hand, so fingers crossed that this turns out well.

Hey hey here I am with another small update!~

I went on a little 3-day trip with my family (which wasn't all that fun but whatever). We were on the road home, about a 3~4 hour drive, and of course I started texting my precious angel gf. The conversation started out as us both fangirling over this one character (Crona), but somewhere along the line that turned into nearly 4 straight hours of nonstop innocent flirting and spontaneous rp. She knows it makes me happy, and if that's not like the purest form of love idk what is.

Heyyy y'all it's Amatsu again!
Saw my precious angel for the first time today after 5 MONTHS with no social interaction. We were both super happy to see each other, and we had a lot of fun (destroyed her and her sis on Mario Kart... xD)

I was really shy at first 'cause like her whole family was there and I didn't know anyone, and I also get social anxiety so I could barely even manage a quiet "hi" when someone spoke to me. About halfway through I found the pop and that all changed. After my first Pepsi I became just as social and energetic as ever! We had lots of fun together and I just got home, supposed to be eating dinner rn lol it's like midnight and it's sooo weird that my parents are letting me stay up this late. But I'm not gonna sleep 'cuz I had a ton of caffeine and even managed half a slice of cake before the sweetness got to me and I couldn't take any more sugar. So yeah, probably gonna crash at like 5 AM.

So went over, saw my gf, wowed everyone with my gaming skills (defeated MTT EX for her on Undertale), had way too much caffeine, spent the whole time making fandom references and generally being an idiot as teens tend to do, it was a good evening.

Caffeine brings out the extrovert in me.
That's all for now y'all

When I first came out as bisexual, I was in an abusive relationship. My partner reacted by making jokes about us having threesomes and made a lot of comments about how bad the LGBTQ+ community is. This is ultimately what made me leave that relationship as his homophobia made me think his behaviour which I'd always seen as a little problematic but never put too much thought into.

During my A Levels, I met an amazing friend. My friend group at the time were quite religious and most had the idealogy of "I don't hate them, I just don't agree with their lifestyle." However, my new friend was a lesbian and incredibly supportive. We planned to go to pride together (unfortunately the plan fell through last minute) and related to each other on a lot of levels. We still talk to each other now we've both gone off to university and have met up a few times to go to the cat cafe together!

I've now realized that I'm pansexual, or I'm at least open to being in relationships with non-binary people. I think I just like... people, their personality, I don't really care what their gender is as long as we get along! I've been questioning whether I'm on the asexual spectrum, too, but I have a lot of stuff in my past that influences that so I can't decide if it's my sexuality or my trauma. Either way, I've sort of given up on trying to label myself, I think I'm just happy as me.

I think I just like... people, their personality, I don't really care what their gender is as long as we get along!
This is exactly the mindset I've had for a while now lol
It took me quite a long time to figure out how to label myself (I know it isn't the best thing to do, but I'm obsessed with fitting into certain sterotypes. Probably because I've been having a bit of an identity crisis but whatever), but I think it's finally come down to bisexual panromantic. Open to a relationship with anyone as long as they have a good personality, but only really attracted to males/females.

Initially it was just bisexual and that was that, but then I met a certain (nonbinary) anime character and totally fell in love with them, so yeah I had to add the panromantic bit. Just take a wild guess who said anime character is lol

I’m sorry to hear about your previous relationship, but it’a awesome you have a good friend and you are starting to find yourself

Here in the town we live in, any sexual orientation is acknowledged. Well, our town never really cared for as long as you follow the rules and laws being implemented. The town might be a bit conservative in terms of PDA but truly, they accept most of the sexuality.

There are also jokes going around. "As straight as a spaghetti."; "I'd prefer oysters than eggs." and others... Those who would listen to you would either engage in conversation [when at parks and pubs] or try to control their laughter.

I don't know if this belongs here or not since I'm heterosexual but I've discovered over time that I'm aromantic. I've been in many relationships but they always end rather quickly for one reason or another. I'm just not good at forming healthy relationships and the idea of "love" is both strange and terrifying to me. The minute someone tells me they love me I retreat into a little corner in my mind. Honestly don't know how to handle it or if I'm even capable of reciprocating it.

In retrospect, I question any time I had feelings for someone else. Was it just lust? Was it obsession? Somehow it always feels like something other than love, either way it doesn't matter. It's not healthy so I've almost completely stopped dating. I've tried expressing this to friends or family but they always just roll their eyes and tell me that I haven't found 'the one' yet. But really, I don't think there is a 'the one' for me. And I'm not saying that to be edgy or depressing. I'm comfortable with who I am and the way I live my life. I see relationships as a disruption or distraction from the things I'm actually passionate about.

The ideal 'relationship' in my mind would be with someone who I enjoy being around, but has their own place next door or across the street. That way we could grab dinner, catch a movie, hang out and do whatever, but then go to our separate homes and do our own things. My friend had a coworker with that set up going, he and his wife divorced and he bought the house next door. They still cooked and ate together, walked the dogs, but had their own houses and lives. Sounded like a dream when he described it to me.

@Hal Thorn so that sounds like a queer platonic relationship. Big thing in the Ace spectrum.

Im aro/ace myself and very similar, although in my case I am pretty happy by myself. (I’m an introvert though which is sort of a separate thing).

But yeah I feel like people assume the only “deep” relationships you can have with another person have to be romantic or sexual in nature (excluding family bonds if that’s a thing for you)

Like friends are treated as this consolation prize for us poor lost souls who haven’t stacked up with someone yet.

In reality queer platonic relationships exist, the best way I saw it described was as if you married your best friend.

So it has a lot of the trappings of a marriage or committed relationship (shared home, financial security, shared raising of children, companionship) but no sex or romance. Your just doing those things with a close friend.

Now you might be a little closer to me in that you enough of an introvert to need your own space but you also want to have some form of consistent companionship.

Just letting you know that’s totally a thing, and it’s not super weird to want that for yourself.

Also Ace and Aro are definitely a part of the LGBTQ + spectrum.

I came out as lesbian my senior year in highschool, watched my mother cry and became pretty distant from my father. I grew up in an incredibly Christian home, one of those that didn't except the LGBTQ+ community or even try. For the longest time I thought I was some kind of mistake for not being interested in males. I made plenty of guy friends but I never really felt that kind of attraction movies were always going about. The kind of longing to be close and tender with only came up with girls.

Of course when I came out I was in a family therapy session where I disclosed a lot of other things that were wrong with me that I had stuffed up and struggled with for years. I suppose thats for a different thread. As well as thoughts on religion.

After the girl I dated in highschool I had two other relationships that I got from the cons I went to and from the fandom I'm still in(homestuck). Conventions have been a major safe place for me, most people who go are inclusive and happy to see people happy. I don't know what to do with myself since the plague closed everything down including conventions. I feel smaller, and its become obvious those few days in a year meant a whole lot to me.

It's been more recent that I've started to go back to work on myself and come out as genderfluid. I've taken up a non-binary name and I haven't bothered with my parents with this one. I don't think it's important to sit down and chat about gender roles with them, yet. I'll probably do that when I have a kid as I'm not going to force a gender down their throat.

I'm still a work in progress. I like to think everyone is, even if they aren't working on themselves at the moment. Sometimes people get caught up but that's okay. It's okay to come back and revisit after life gets in the way.

Back