In the little town of Juniper Hollow, everybody knows everybody, and family roots run deep. Summers are sleepy and long, winters quiet and cold. But on Azalea street, one house is a little different. Two stories tall, the yellow house with a big white porch has seven bedrooms, a dining room, and a number of years ago, the owners decided that rather than keeping empty rooms, they'd lend the rooms to those who need them. Many of the townsfolk aren't exactly pleased with the home on Azalea, and they're even less thrilled with the tenants, but life goes on as ever it has.

I'm looking for a multi-person RP centering around life in the Boarding House, and I'm a bit interested in turning it into an Epic Roleplay (if I have enough people), so we can perhaps have different threads for each room in the house, and specific areas in town (i.e., the park, the market, etc.), but we'll see who is interested, or if its possible! I'm just as fine with a smaller scale RP. The contingency plan is: 1.) If we don't get enough people to commit/enough people who want the scale of an epic RP, we will just do it all in a single thread. 2.) If only one person is interested, you can play the character(s) you wish, and I will do the character(s) I wish, and we'll do it in a single thread, just the two of us!

This idea came from a dream I had last night, wherein one of my favourite characters and his 10 year old daughter, Ivy, moved into a boarding house together, following a personal tragedy. So I would like to play with those two, and one unrelated character named Rose, who is an Irish immigrant and a musician.

The max number of occupants is variable. I've established we have 7 bedrooms, so obviously one of those needs to go to the owner(s). If they have a child that covers two. My father and daughter would share a bedroom, Rose would have one, so presuming the owners do not have children, there are four open bedrooms, and obviously you can decide how many people live in each bedroom, so we can fiddle around. It's probably a good idea to not have, like, 30 occupants, but a reasonable amount seems fine.

And of course we're also able to add characters who do not live inside the house, so we're able to add neighbors who either like the owners/occupants or they hate them, and it's very variable. If you don't want to have a character inside the house, but still want to be involved, this is an excellent option for you!

Characters Needed:

-Owner(s) [Please only offer to be one or both of the owners if you are willing to commit]

-Other occupants who have been living in the house for awhile ("awhile" is variable--it can be a few months, a few years, however long you want, I just really the RP to begin with the father-daughter duo moving in, so I think it would make sense if everybody else is already settled. Rose has lived in the house for a year)

Characters Appreciated

-Neighbors and townsfolk

Setting/Genre

-The small town of Juniper Hollow, a small stereotypical American town. Probably located on the eastern side of the United States.

-We can decide the time period together. I'm hoping for a more historical (i.e. pre-1980s) setting, but I'm content with modern day

-Realistic Fiction. I love magic and fantasy, I do, but I would prefer it not to be in this specific RP.

Reply Length

-Normally, I really love a multi-paragraph reply, but I think for this rp, keeping replies shorter (perhaps a single paragraph) would be better, and I'm even okay with sticking to exclusively dialogue, because I think it makes sense

Content

-I am okay with darker themes, but please avoid in-rp intense/graphic violence (a fist fight is acceptable, a stabbing is not), sexual assault, murder, or other events of this nature. Having these events as parts of your character's backstory is acceptable.

-I'm okay with romance, but no sex. Please, for the love of all that is good and green in this world, do not write a graphic sex scene in the RP. If you want to "fade to black" that's fine, especially if we have an Epic RP format, and we have threads for bedrooms, but please do not write smut. And speaking of romance: It is okay with me if you and another player desire to have your characters fall in love, but please do not FORCE another player to fall in love with your character.

Length

-I am a college student who will be on winter break from December 10th to January 24th, and this is therefore the period I will be most active during. The RP does not need to end by the 24th, but the reply time may increase.

Rules

1.) Be respectful. Characters and writers of all races, sexualities, and genders are welcome in the RP. We place no judgements.

2.) If you begin to feel tired of the RP, please have your character officially move out of the house/neighborhood, rather than ghost. Under normal situations, I'm totally fine with ghosting, but we'll be in a group setting, with a really simple way to exit the story. I urge anyone who wants to play the Owner of the boarding house only do so if you are "in for the long-haul," so to speak, but if at any point you deem it is best for you to leave, I suppose you can pass the ownership of the house to one of the tenants.

3.) If you want to take a break from the RP, but plan on returning, have your character go on vacation. It explains the absence while remaining in-universe

4.) We may be doing a historical setting. If we do this, it will not be perfectly historically accurate, and please be understanding if someone makes a mistake regarding the time period. ALSO INCLUDED IN ALLOWING HISTORICAL ACCURACIES: DO NOT MAKE YOUR CHARACTERS RACIST/HOMOPHOBIC/TRANSPHOBIC. Yes I know it is historically accurate for most time periods. No I do not allow it. If you want to have a POC or a LGBTQ character who has experienced discrimination/bigotry, I'm fine with that, but I don't want to see one character be racist to/about another character, you know? Also, we are deleting segregation. My reasoning for this rule is I don't want some bigoted fellow using this RP as a way to express their beliefs, and I don't want someone who is within a marginalized community (such as myself) to at any point feel unwelcome. See Rule #1. That said, if you want your character to be in a LGBTQ relationship, but want to keep the drama of them trying to hide it... that's okay with me. I've seen Patsy in Call the Midwife, I understand the appeal.

5.) No magic. I expressed this in the genre, but once I said "realistic fiction" and I had a partner have their character attempt to create a magical room inside of a room and another of their characters leap up and cling to the ceiling hissing which... is not the vibe we are going for.

6.) No discussions of IRL politics.

7.) Please be 18+. I don't like gatekeeping ages, but every time I've ever tried to RP with someone under 18, it ends up quite awkward. I'm 21, for reference.

Well, that's all I've got!!! I really hope people are interested, I think it's a really fun idea! Please comment down below if you're interested, and if you have a character idea, please give a bit about them (name, age, gender and then maybe a sentence or two about who they are/their background), but it's fine if you do not. Normally I request DMs, but I think since I'm hoping for a group, it would be easier for everyone who may be interested to see what others are thinking. I'll also begin a DM thread when we have at least two people, and just keep adding people from there! I'm also looking for people who are willing to be assistant Game Masters! I've never done a large scale RP before! I'm going to leave descriptions of my characters in the replies.

Last edited:
Sounds interesting, I like realistic fiction slice of life stuff. Lmk how it goes.

G.M. Dark - Dark is a tall, bearded man, with black hair and amber eyes. He seems to always wear a suit, speaks quite formally, and is somber. He normally has a neutral expression and has a piercing gaze. He is often described as intimidating and small children have been known to accuse him of being a vampire. He isn't a vampire (see my "no magic" rule). Dark is 48 years old and is a history teacher.

Ivy Dark - Ivy is 10 years old, and prior to the personal tragedy (which will be revealed in the RP itself), she was a bright and cheerful kid. She's a bit quieter now, but hopefully with time, she'll be a bit more like her old self. Like her father, she is tall and has black hair, but her eyes are blue, and she's far more expressive. She's very adventurous and is a big reader. Her favourite book is The Adventures of Robin Hood!

Rose McGann - Rose is an Irish immigrant with curly red hair and freckles. She is 26, a musician, and she loves the outdoors. She currently works at a bank, but dreams of making it big. She's also a dancer, and (presuming the RP takes place after 1954) is described as elven. Her favourite book (presuming the RP takes place after 1954) is The Fellowship of the Ring. If it takes place before 1954, but after 1937, her favourite book is The Hobbit. If the RP takes place before 1937, her favourite book is La Morte D'Arthur. Rose is cheerful and sly, and almost always kind and generous. Rose knows about a thousand natural remedies and the names of most plants and birds.

These people are renting rooms or the owners? I was thinking I could do the owners, could be fun. Two siblings to whom their adoptive mother left the house when she died and they make some extra money renting rooms cuz they enjoy being hosts and having people around. It's the two of them, 2 dogs and a friend who couch surfs way too often not to be considered a resident.

These people are renting rooms or the owners? I was thinking I could do the owners, could be fun. Two siblings to whom their adoptive mother left the house when she died and they make some extra money renting rooms cuz they enjoy being hosts and having people around. It's the two of them, 2 dogs and a friend who couch surfs way too often not to be considered a resident.
The owners are renting out the rooms! And I love the idea of two siblings, two dogs, and their friend! It's a really interesting dynamic, and not one I had expected!

Back