ERIN NATICK
@Ver @Ottonomous Ghost @EveryoneElse
"And, in case you were wondering, Erin, yes. I am also an author. My work spans to nearly every form of art. Might I interest you in the story of... the Golden Demon?"

"I have not heard of this Golden Demon, story," Erin said her voice bubbly, "Could you provide a brief description of the story? Like an advertisement for your own book,"

Slyvia smiled. She had to admit, she was very intrigued by the young girl's background. However, always the teacher, Slyvia chimed in, raising her hand
View attachment 10742
"Instead of working class, I think you mean, the proletariat. If we want to be historically accurate, that would be the era appropriate technical term. "

Chuckling to herself, she couldn't help herself. However, she addressed Karina again

"Wait, really those Romanovs? Amazing! I thought all of them died during the revolution. I mean, I heard there were a few of them survived. Are you from one of lower branches? "

Slyvia's body shut down as Mac started to sign. A lot of weird, strange Feelings flooded, and her jaw slightly dropped her as the two women made eye contact. Sylvia knew a little ASL from taking classes and working with former students. She gazed at the runner as she signed.

[I'm Syvia. Do I know you? Did we go to the same College? }

Something about this man, it touched Sylvia as she turned to him. His sadness, it was palpable. Sitting across from him, she smiled.

"You're among friends, Flynn. I know what you mean. I thought I saw things too. Living for thousands of years. I dreamed Issacc and I, we were married for thousands. We lived in different places, different cultures, but he and I were always together. Till he left."

Sadness rushed over the Professed as looked away.

"It's okay. It's all in my head. He was a pilot. One day he went to work and never come home. He just left. No goodbye, just gone. For months, you think, "What did you do to make him leave?" Hogging the covers or being snarky before you had your morning coffee doesn't normally cause people to leave their partners. You know that's not why he left, but You still don't know why. The loneliness, it's all you're left with. That's me, that's what I was left with. You don't have to share. You're just not alone. I just felt I needed to say that."

Taking a deep breath, she leaned back into her chair, adjusting her hair as she sighed.

@Crunch @Jeremi @Ver @Yun Lee @Rwac96 @Minerva @Capri
"Uhm...I dunno?" Karina decided to comment on the second thing Sylvia said to her, though she'd keep that proletariat word in mind...maybe (God what is this, high school vocab?). "All I know is that they got out of there before the murders and stuff." She knew more than she did, at least, thanks to the percentage of folks who preferred to try and educate her on Russia's history. They were better than the people sending actual hatemail. And that's why Karina didn't say much else: the less people remembered that, the better.

@Josh @Everyone​

"And, in case you were wondering, Erin, yes. I am also an author. My work spans to nearly every form of art. Might I interest you in the story of... the Golden Demon?"

The black-haired man blinks at the artist's words, curiosity growing in his mind once more. "The Golden Demon?" Clark spoke up, lowering his glasses slightly. "The title certainly sounds intriguing, Mister Jhin." Tilting his head to the right slightly, in his mind, hoping to hear the accomplishments or daily lives of the patients here before being admitted to the institute would gain some perspective.

@Ottonomous Ghost @Ver @Yun Lee @Capri @Josh @Everyone​

View attachment 10744

His attention turns to Sylvia, listening to her question that made him wide-eyed for a moment. Clark straightens out his glasses, letting out a small sigh. Since she did ask him about it and they are sharing such things, it really couldn't hurt. Though, he couldn't help but chuckle at the 'special' part. He was trying to suppress the delusion that he was this paragon of a good superhero, after all.

"I'm just a guy from Kansas," he replies to Sylvia, "though, my wife did have me admitted here." The journalist places his hands together, his blue eyes staring down at his shoes for the moment. "Yes, I am married, and she's the reason I'm here. Lois, well, I've heard from people that we make an odd pair." He lifts his head up, his lips spreading into a loving smile. "My colleagues would call me an idealist, especially when I say there's good in anyone. Lois, well, she's skeptical of others, to the point that she's labeled a cynic. But, her drive to uncover the truth, speaking out for others. Her firecracker-like determination, it's what made me fall in love with her. Heck, we used to be rivals when I started working for the Planet."

@Ver @Josh @Crunch @Yun Lee @Capri @Minerva @Jeremi
View attachment 10746

"You know, they say behind every great man, there is a great woman. You two prove that. Issacc and I were like you and Lois. Two different personality types. I'm glad you two were able to make it work. "

Sylvia forced a smile. Every time she talked about Issacc, it brought her down. It was a wound that wouldn't heal. It just kept bleeding. Slyvia paused, turning her eye back at the Journalist.

"There's nothing wrong with being an idealist, Mister Kent. It seems the world needs more of them than ever."
"Uhm...I dunno?" Karina decided to comment on the second thing Sylvia said to her, though she'd keep that proletariat word in mind...maybe (God what is this, high school vocab?). "All I know is that they got out of there before the murders and stuff." She knew more than she did, at least, thanks to the percentage of folks who preferred to try and educate her on Russia's history. They were better than the people sending actual hatemail. And that's why Karina didn't say much else: the less people remembered that, the better.

@Josh @Everyone​
"That makes sense. As a history lover, I'm fascinated by events and situations like that. My field of study is Natural History, so, i am not exactly a expert world history. Still, the two subjects overlap. I'm a professor after all.
My natural curiosity got the better of me."

A small, coy smile appeared on Sylvia's face. The corner of her lips grew large.

"Your great, great, Great grandmother wouldn't have happen to have been Anastasia, right? I must say, that would be really interesting!"

@Yun Lee @Ver @Jeremi @Rwac96 @Capri @Crunch @Not a Writer @Takumi

Last edited:
"You know, they say behind every great man, there is a great woman. You two prove that. Issacc and I were like you and Lois. Two different personality types. I'm glad you two were able to make it work. "

Sylvia forced a smile. Every time she talked about Issacc, it brought her down. It was a wound that wouldn't heal. It just kept bleeding. Slyvia paused, turning her eye back at the Journalist.

"There's nothing wrong with being an idealist, Mister Kent. It seems the world needs more of them than ever."

Hearing those words from his fellow patient had brought some positivity from the Kansas-Raised man, giving her a welcoming smile. It was rather refreshing to hear someone saying something good about idealism in a world where tragedy is bound to happen. "Thanks, Sylvia," he replies, blinking as he saw her looking forlorn when she mentions Issac. This made Clark aware that she was a widow, as he remembered from interviews of people who lost loved ones. It was the same sadness he and his adopted mother Martha felt when Jonathan passed away.

View attachment 10749

"If I may," Clark scratches at his black hair a bit. "from the sound of it, you and Issacc were lucky to have one another. He must've been a good man."​

When everyone started talking Michelle, as always, had a hard time trying to figure out what everyone was saying. So when she noticed the woman called Slyvia. Michelle shook her head. [I don't think so? Or maybe we did? Sorry, the only thing I did in college was track and classes.] Despite saying that there was something odd about the woman. Something she couldn't quite put her finger on.

@Ver @Josh

As the group began talking amongst themselves, Staple nodded to herself, as though pleased with herself and/or with the patients for being able to freely converse with each other without much need for the woman to prompt discussion herself.

"I'm glad you're all comfortable to speak so freely with each other. It should go without saying, being able to converse with others comfortably, like average, typical people, is one of the greatest indicators of mental stability," she said, writing down what one can only imagine to be notes on her clipboard. It didn't appear she herself was all that interested in taking part in the exchange though, perhaps not wanting to externally influence the flow of the conversation with the way it was able to maintain itself already, fast enough that Staple could hardly answer Sylvia's first question about the right words to use before she moved on anyway. And that wasn't to neglect how impressive it was how others were able to communicate with Michelle so seamlessly as well, though in regards to Sylvia, the doctor cleared her throat.

"Now, now, Sylvia, you're confusing Michelle. There's no way you two would--"

And then... tap.

"..."

A singular tapping sound was heard from behind the circle of chairs, which of course could only have come from the one person separated from everyone else, soft yet notable enough that it caused Staple to pause mid-sentence. Elijah Price, ever lulling between catatonic and lucid, seemed to be caught somewhere in between to anyone who felt inclined to look back at him. His gaze was unfocused, hazed to the rest of the world, yet his left hand had clearly moved position, previously rested on his lap and now resting on his wheelchair's armrest. Was he conscious again? Who could say?

"Oh, it looks like Elijah's come to again. Really must be the work of providence," Staple said sincerely. It was true that in the few moments Elijah had ever displayed a moment of lucidity in front of the other patients, by the time Staple got around to seeing for herself, he had lulled back into a non-responsive state, so this was indeed a rare occurrence for her.

"Can I get someone to push Elijah into the circle? Maybe he has something he wants to share himself," the woman asked.

@Jeremi @Josh @Rwac96 @Capri @Yun Lee @Not a Writer @Gummi Bunnies @Crunch @Minerva @Takumi @Ottonomous Ghost @Everyone

Everything seemed to be going well, as he and the other patients were freely conversing with one another. Well, those who chose to share, the journalist is one of them. It felt nice to not be plagued with the delusions he had of being this 'Kal-El' or 'Superman', it means he can get back to his job at the Planet, hopefully. It also means he can reunite with Lois and Jon, see his mother once more. It brought a sense of relief, though, something in his mind was nagging at him.

And then... tap.

"..."

The tap made Clark jump somewhat, turning his attention to the usual catatonic Elijah; who looked unfocused but his left hand had moved to his lap. Blinking in confusion, he wondered if the man was conscious once more, though it was difficult to say. Though Clark was a reporter, he felt something about this patient had him on edge. His smile vanished, replaced with a slightly concerned frown.

"Can I get someone to push Elijah into the circle? Maybe he has something he wants to share himself," the woman asked.

"Um," clearing his throat and regaining his composure, Clark stands up. "Certainly, Doctor Staple." Adjusting his glasses quickly, Clark proceeds to approach the wheelchair-bound man. Walking to stand behind his fellow patient, he proceeds to gently push Elijah into the circle. "I have to say," he begins to wonder, "this is a first to see, doctor. Not many with his condition make this much progress."

@Ver @Ottonomous Ghost @Josh @Jeremi @Capri @Yun Lee @Not a Writer @Minerva @Crunch @Gummi Bunnies @Takumi

Hearing those words from his fellow patient had brought some positivity from the Kansas-Raised man, giving her a welcoming smile. It was rather refreshing to hear someone saying something good about idealism in a world where tragedy is bound to happen. "Thanks, Sylvia," he replies, blinking as he saw her looking forlorn when she mentions Issac. This made Clark aware that she was a widow, as he remembered from interviews of people who lost loved ones. It was the same sadness he and his adopted mother Martha felt when Jonathan passed away.

View attachment 10749

"If I may," Clark scratches at his black hair a bit. "from the sound of it, you and Issacc were lucky to have one another. He must've been a good man."​
Sylvia's bright smile faded as the reporter spoke.

"You misunderstood."
View attachment 10751
Sylvia's tone was slightly bitter at first ring. Not angry, but just bitter.

"Issacc didn't die, Mr. Kent. He just left. Disappeared off the face of the earth. If he was dead, at least I could mourn. You can't mourn someone who's alive. A wife just knows. "
When everyone started talking Michelle, as always, had a hard time trying to figure out what everyone was saying. So when she noticed the woman called Slyvia. Michelle shook her head. [I don't think so? Or maybe we did? Sorry, the only thing I did in college was track and classes.] Despite saying that there was something odd about the woman. Something she couldn't quite put her finger on.

@Ver @Josh
As the group began talking amongst themselves, Staple nodded to herself, as though pleased with herself and/or with the patients for being able to freely converse with each other without much need for the woman to prompt discussion herself.

"I'm glad you're all comfortable to speak so freely with each other. It should go without saying, being able to converse with others comfortably, like average, typical people, is one of the greatest indicators of mental stability," she said, writing down what one can only imagine to be notes on her clipboard. It didn't appear she herself was all that interested in taking part in the exchange though, perhaps not wanting to externally influence the flow of the conversation with the way it was able to maintain itself already, fast enough that Staple could hardly answer Sylvia's first question about the right words to use before she moved on anyway. And that wasn't to neglect how impressive it was how others were able to communicate with Michelle so seamlessly as well, though in regards to Sylvia, the doctor cleared her throat.

And then... tap.

"..."

A singular tapping sound was heard from behind the circle of chairs, which of course could only have come from the one person separated from everyone else, soft yet notable enough that it caused Staple to pause mid-sentence. Elijah Price, ever lulling between catatonic and lucid, seemed to be caught somewhere in between to anyone who felt inclined to look back at him. His gaze was unfocused, hazed to the rest of the world, yet his left hand had clearly moved position, previously rested on his lap and now resting on his wheelchair's armrest. Was he conscious again? Who could say?

"Oh, it looks like Elijah's come to again. Really must be the work of providence," Staple said sincerely. It was true that in the few moments Elijah had ever displayed a moment of lucidity in front of the other patients, by the time Staple got around to seeing for herself, he had lulled back into a non-responsive state, so this was indeed a rare occurrence for her.

@Jeremi @Josh @Rwac96 @Capri @Yun Lee @Not a Writer @Gummi Bunnies @Crunch @Minerva @Takumi @Ottonomous Ghost @Everyone

"I'm Sorry Doctor Staple. I guess Michelle just has one of those faces. "

Embarrassed, Slyvia blushed as she started to get up to get up to help Elijah. However, Clark better her to him.

Everything seemed to be going well, as he and the other patients were freely conversing with one another. Well, those who chose to share, the journalist is one of them. It felt nice to not be plagued with the delusions he had of being this 'Kal-El' or 'Superman', it means he can get back to his job at the Planet, hopefully. It also means he can reunite with Lois and Jon, see his mother once more. It brought a sense of relief, though, something in his mind was nagging at him.

The tap made Clark jump somewhat, turning his attention to the usual catatonic Elijah; who looked unfocused but his left hand had moved to his lap. Blinking in confusion, he wondered if the man was conscious once more, though it was difficult to say. Though Clark was a reporter, he felt something about this patient had him on edge. His smile vanished, replaced with a slightly concerned frown.

"Um," clearing his throat and regaining his composure, Clark stands up. "Certainly, Doctor Staple." Adjusting his glasses quickly, Clark proceeds to approach the wheelchair-bound man. Walking to stand behind his fellow patient, he proceeds to gently push Elijah into the circle. "I have to say," he begins to wonder, "this is a first to see, doctor. Not many with his condition make this much progress."

@Ver @Ottonomous Ghost @Josh @Jeremi @Capri @Yun Lee @Not a Writer @Minerva @Crunch @Gummi Bunnies @Takumi
Sylvia moved close to the wheelchair bound man, bending down to his eye level.

"I'm Professor Sylvia Li. That's Clark Kent."

The women turned towards her doctor.

View attachment 10750
"Can he understand us? Doctor Staple?"

Last edited:

"You misunderstood."
1639605992723.png

Sylvia's tone was slightly bitter at first ring. Not angry, but just bitter.

"Issacc didn't die, Mr. Kent. He just left. Disappeared off the face of the earth. If he was dead, at least I could mourn. You can't mourn someone who's alive. A wife just knows. "

"I'm terribly sorry," Clark apologizes with a grimace, mentally kicking himself for making an assumption. "I...I shouldn't have made an assumption like that." His brows crease in guilt, scratching at his brow a bit.

Sylvia moved close to the wheelchair bound man, bending down to his eye level.

"I'm Professor Sylvia Li. That's Clark Kent."

The women turned towards her doctor.

1639605952881.png

"Can he understand us?"

Clark moves away from Elijah as he walks over to meet him face-to-face, rubbing the back of his neck as she kneels down and talks with the man. "Since he tapped to get our attention," the journalist spoke, "but, it's gonna be hard to tell. This' a rare occurrence, after all."​

"Khada" Jhin - Activity Room
@Capri @Rwac96 @Ver @anyone

ERIN NATICK
@Ver @Ottonomous Ghost @EveryoneElse

"I have not heard of this Golden Demon, story," Erin said her voice bubbly, "Could you provide a brief description of the story? Like an advertisement for your own book,"
The black-haired man blinks at the artist's words, curiosity growing in his mind once more. "The Golden Demon?" Clark spoke up, lowering his glasses slightly. "The title certainly sounds intriguing, Mister Jhin." Tilting his head to the right slightly, in his mind, hoping to hear the accomplishments or daily lives of the patients here before being admitted to the institute would gain some perspective.

@Ottonomous Ghost @Ver @Yun Lee @Capri @Josh @Everyone​

Khada's eyes widened in apparent disbelief. Not one, but two people were interested in his work? He gasped for dramatic effect, putting a hand on his heart. "Delightful! I thought you'd never ask," he said, smiling at the two of them, "Allow me to begin. I'll try to be brief, I promise!"

He took a deep breathe and straightened his face.

"It's a heartbreaking story. A tale of an old master and his two students, Shen and Usan. The three of them dispassionately served an ancient order that traced back hundreds of years. Their sworn oathe? To preserve the "balance" between the mortal and spirit realms. Whenever a demon took the life of a human, it was their duty to even the odds. The same applied vice-versa. Simple, right?"

He darkened his expression and lowered his tone. "That was, until, they discovered the Golden Demon. A demon so terrible that it disfigured the bodies of its victims, leaving innocent villages unrecognizable and in shambles!"

He closed his eyes and continued to motion his arms as he spoke, as if he was the conductor of some invisible symphony. "And so! They searched far and wide. For years. Each day, their dispassionate will was tested. For they could not hunt the demon out of vengeance. That was not their duty. Their master, Kusho, reminded them of this, no matter what wreckage they came across. And on the day they finally found the demon... Shen and Usan discovered that it wasn't a demon at all," Khada paused purposefully, preparing a breathe to break the tension. The timing had to be right. "But a man," he exclaimed finally, opening his eyes.

His eyes glanced around the room, clearly hungering for a reaction.

And then... tap.

"..."

The virtuoso was one of the first to notice this sudden change of character from Elijah. He squinted and put a hand to his chin, watching as the others moved him closer to the group. Khada had always wondered what his voice sounded like. So he listened eagerly, hoping to hear at least a murmur.​

Last edited:
"In his particular case, I can't say, Sylvia," Staple said in response to the woman's question, shaking her head briefly, "Considering I've always just missed his moments of lucidity. But in all likelihood, I think he can understand us. Maybe if we could ask him some basic questions, he could give us a verbal answer back. One tap for yes, that sort of approach," she suggested clinically.

"If everyone else wants to, then they can go on ahead. Personally, he's always given me the creeps..." Fujiko murmured, staying in her seat and crossing her arms, to which Peter gave her an irritated look.

View attachment 10758

"You shouldn't say that. We don't know what he must have been through to be put in this kind of state," Peter said, the compassionate field paramedic shining through, not that he was the kind of person who was able to do much when it came to matters of neurology. Fujiko merely shrugged him off dispassionately.

Vvvt, vvvt.

Next, a vibrating sound came from Staple, prompting her to draw her phone from her pocket, looking at the screen intently as though she had just received a message. Her face scrunched up slightly, and before long, she pocketed her device once more before looking to everyone else as she stood up from her seat. "Well, just my luck. I'll have to miss out on this new development yet again. I've got an... urgent matter that needs my attention. Play nice with him now, alright, everyone?" She sighed, and without missing a beat, turned around to exit through the door.

View attachment 10759

"..."

The instant Staple turned her back on Elijah, the man's hazed eyes seemed to come back into focus ever so slightly, looking over in her direction to see her hastily leave the room. She was gone before anyone would even be able to take notice and call out to her, leaving everyone with Elijah for the time being, or to simply continue on with their own conversations if they'd preferred.

Not one to ignore any developments from his fellow patient however, Peter looked toward the others in the room. "So... uh, anyone have anything to ask him? I'm not really good with small talk."

"It's a heartbreaking story. A tale of an old master and his two students, Shen and Usan. The three of them dispassionately served an ancient order that traced back hundreds of years. Their sworn oathe? To preserve the "balance" between the mortal and spirit realms. Whenever a demon took the life of a human, it was their duty to even the odds. The same applied vice-versa. Simple, right?"

He darkened his expression and lowered his tone. "That was, until, they discovered the Golden Demon. A demon so terrible that it disfigured the bodies of its victims, leaving innocent villages unrecognizable and in shambles!"

He closed his eyes and continued to motion his arms as he spoke, as if he was the conductor of some invisible symphony. "And so! They searched far and wide. For years. Each day, their dispassionate will was tested. For they could not hunt the demon out of vengeance. That was not their duty. Their master, Kusho, reminded them of this, no matter what wreckage they came across. And on the day they finally found the demon... Shen and Usan discovered that it wasn't a demon at all," Khada paused purposefully, preparing a breathe to break the tension. The timing had to be right. "But a man," he exclaimed finally, opening his eyes.

Listening to Khada's story of the golden demon made gave him a moment to process how he described it. The patient certainly sounded like a potential author, and the twist ending was rather nice. Certainly beats the twist endings some films in cinema attempted to pull, though it fell flat for Clark. He shook his head, remembering why he got up in the first place.

The instant Staple turned her back on Elijah, the man's hazed eyes seemed to come back into focus ever so slightly, looking over in her direction to see her hastily leave the room. She was gone before anyone would even be able to take notice and call out to her, leaving everyone with Elijah for the time being, or to simply continue on with their own conversations if they'd preferred.

Not one to ignore any developments from his fellow patient however, Peter looked toward the others in the room. "So... uh, anyone have anything to ask him? I'm not really good with small talk."

Seeing Elijah's eyes following Doctor Staple when she got up and hastily left the activity room made him admittedly alarmed. The wheelchair-bound man before him was in a rather unfortunate state, even if he did give off an eerie vibe. But, Clark just witness the developments before him. His brows crease as this was likely a first for him, even when he had interviewed distraught witnesses to a violent crime.

"Hello, Elijah," the journalist began, kneeling down to eye level as he focused on him. "hmm, can...can you understand us?"

@Ottonomous Ghost @Ver @Everyone​

Link to sign-ups.

Prologue
"Through the Looking Glass"

tumblr_pc6yt9XpXc1thvjv3o4_400.gif

"I have to say, I'm very pleased with the progress you all have made during your time here. Each and every one of you has come a long way since you first came here, and if all continues to go well, you may even be discharged as early as next week," Doctor Ellie Staple said in a pleased manner to the group that sat around her, her very own model patients.

Usually, the function of the Activity Room in Raven Hill Memorial was self-explanatory, housing various tables in the room holding all sorts of small board games, as well as a TV mounted on the wall for anyone's convenience and other harmless diversions. However, today, Staple had elected to hold a makeshift meeting with all of you, her dear patients, in the room, all of the chairs arranged in a circle for everyone to sit in with Staple at the top of the circle. It wasn't the first time the good doctor had called for this kind of meeting; she'd claimed that it would be much too formal and strict if they'd gone through the trouble of making a dedicated conference room, like they were office workers meeting up or the like, as opposed to the friendly and cordial relationship she claimed to want to foster instead, so here you all were instead.

It was difficult to gauge how long you all had even been here. Staple admitted that the medication used to tend to everyone had some degree of side effects that temporarily caused memory problems, but promised that everything would come back to them in due course. Indeed, the longer you had taken your medication, the fainter your delusions seemed to be, and the clearer your true lives became instead, until now, you could hardly remember those delusions that once defined your life before. Of course, things weren't any easier by the fact that you didn't have much in the way of outside communication. Staple insisted that it was so there wouldn't be any outside distraction, so you could focus on you and yourself alone, though one had to wonder about the efficacy of such a sentiment.

"That all said, I just wanted to meet with you all... mostly for a friendly chat, really. How are you all feeling? Any weird feelings, fake memories coming back in any way? I hope all of you are getting along with each other as well. A healthy social life contributes greatly to a healthy mind, after all."

View attachment 10734

"Yep, yeah, everything's going smooth for me. Nothing weird going on my end," Peter Petrelli sighed, resting his hand on his face. He was no exception to Staple's statement that everyone was on their way to a full recovery, but Peter -- impatient as he was -- could hardly wait to get out of this place and get back to his life, not that anyone could blame him. After all, who wouldn't be excited to return to their mundane, humdrum, completely normal everyday lives?

"Same here. I'm ready to leave once you give the okay, doctor," Fujiko Mine also said, echoing Peter's statement, before also adding a concern of hers. "Though... Shouldn't we also get Elijah here as well? If we're all just about good to go..." She said, gesturing toward the one person in the room who wasn't huddled in the circle with everyone else.

"..."

Sitting by himself, staring at the circle from the corner almost ominously, Elijah Price was the one patient whom Staple seemed to have trouble reaching, but as he'd been a patient at the institute for longer than all of you -- however long ago that must have been -- she didn't entirely categorize him in the same vein as the rest of you for whatever reason. Elijah was an erratic patient, most of the time nigh-catatonic like he spent most of his time in a vegetative state, and sometimes suddenly snapping out of his stupor to say strange things lucidly. Coupled with the fact that he had a unique physical condition that meant his bones were as brittle as glass, Staple had always recommended you all stayed away from him for his own health, but that didn't stop him from always appearing in the most random of places throughout the institute.

Staple shook her head in response to Fujiko's words. "No, you don't have to worry about Elijah. I've told you before, he's a... special case. His condition goes beyond what you all had. But I do think your presence has helped him acclimate, being around other people must certainly have a positive effect on him," she spoke clinically, crossing her legs.

Intent on taking charge of the subject again, Staple continued. "Why don't we do a little exercise? At this stage, you should all be able to confront who you once were and reject that part of yourself. Remember who you once were, tell me that's not who you are anymore, and tell me who you really are now. It's one thing to internally affirm your true identity, but it's another to say it aloud too. Or... in Michelle's case, to sign it. Sound good?"

With an indignant breath, Peter shrugged. "Fine, fine. I'll go first," he offered, before clearing his throat. "My name is Peter Petrelli. I used to think I was a budding superhero, and that there had to be others like me all around the world too. Conveniently, I thought my superpower just so happened to be power copying, so it'd just so happen I wouldn't have any powers active when I was around normal people," he recounted, before letting out a soft chuckle, with a hint of a self-deprecating inflection to those with keener hearing.

"I guess it's not surprising I'd end up thinking something like that. I used to be a paramedic, so I was always out there trying my best to save lives, but... you can't save everyone all the time. It gets to you... it got to me, I guess," Peter breathed, pinching his nose briefly as he spoke as though remembering those he might have failed to save in his line of work. "But it's okay. I'm ready to face reality head-on now."

As Peter finished his brief little monologue, Fujiko eventually took the opportunity to go next, raising her hand to no one in particular for a moment as she began speaking. "My name is Fujiko Mine. I used to think I was a secret professional thief, fancied myself a real cat burglar, but in reality, I'm not really that exciting. I suppose it's just as well, I would have gotten myself thrown in the slammer by now if I really was that much of a klepto," she said, adjusting her red-rimmed glasses with two fingers. "But what I am is a clerk at a jewelry store. I guess the leap for me is... I thought about how good I'd have it if I'd just make off with all the merch I sell and be done with it. I always wanted to live on a yacht, you know?"

"No, I didn't know."

"Now you do."

"Right, thank you both," Staple nodded, writing down some notes on her clipboard, before looking up to the rest of you. "Now then, who's next? Don't be shy now."

Today was going to be the first day of the rest of your lives. May as well say it aloud to get comfortable with the idea. Who you used to be, and who you really are.

Cast List
@Gummi Bunnies as Chloe Winters
@Rwac96 as Clark Kent
@York as Eno Liberi
@Capri as Erin Natick
@Crunch as Flynn Blazkowicz
@Takumi as Hagusa Fujisaki
@Yun Lee as Karina Romanova
@Ottonomous Ghost as Khada Jhin
@Lucky as Liam Bishop
@Jeremi as Michelle Curry
@Minerva as Morgan Yu
@Not a Writer as Takara Matsushita
@Josh as Sylvia Li

Table of Contents to be added.
Chloe looked hesitant to have her turn as everyone else spoke their pieces here and there. She knew better now, she truly feeling like her normal self again. It was just... difficult to talk about these things, even if she knew that it was better to address these sorts of things and not bottle them up.

When there was a brief period of silence, she took a deep breath to calm her nerves and speak up.

❝ M-My name is... Ch... Chloe. Chloe... W-Winters. Um... ❞ She stumbles over her words, but takes another deep breath to steady herself and continue talking, ❝ I thought that... I was some sort of super soldier... a Gauntlet Knight, and that I was going to be fighting to the death with people around my age that were also these Gauntlet Knights... in an upcoming World War. Except... you know, that's entirely not true. I mean, um... everybody knows that the entire world vowed to not have another World War after the second one... I just thought on the scenario too much that I started to believe that it was going to happen one day... but everything's going to be okay. Everything... will be okay. Uh, yeah... that's it. ❞

She awkwardly wrapped up her spoken piece, staring down directly at the tips of her shoes and holding her hands together over her lap. At the very least, a heavy weight was lifted from her shoulders, and she started to relax. She was going to be fine.

@Ver @Takumi @Crunch @Minerva @Jeremi @Capri @Yun Lee @Rwac96 @Everyone

Khada's eyes widened in apparent disbelief. Not one, but two people were interested in his work? He gasped for dramatic effect, putting a hand on his heart. "Delightful! I thought you'd never ask," he said, smiling at the two of them, "Allow me to begin. I'll try to be brief, I promise!"

The virtuoso was one of the first to notice this sudden change of character from Elijah. He squinted and put a hand to his chin, watching as the others moved him closer to the group. Khada had always wondered what his voice sounded like. So he listened eagerly, hoping to hear at least a murmur.​
"In his particular case, I can't say, Sylvia," Staple said in response to the woman's question, shaking her head briefly, "Considering I've always just missed his moments of lucidity. But in all likelihood, I think he can understand us. Maybe if we could ask him some basic questions, he could give us a verbal answer back. One tap for yes, that sort of approach," she suggested clinically.

"If everyone else wants to, then they can go on ahead. Personally, he's always given me the creeps..." Fujiko murmured, staying in her seat and crossing her arms, to which Peter gave her an irritated look.

View attachment 10758

"You shouldn't say that. We don't know what he must have been through to be put in this kind of state," Peter said, the compassionate field paramedic shining through, not that he was the kind of person who was able to do much when it came to matters of neurology. Fujiko merely shrugged him off dispassionately.

Vvvt, vvvt.

Next, a vibrating sound came from Staple, prompting her to draw her phone from her pocket, looking at the screen intently as though she had just received a message. Her face scrunched up slightly, and before long, she pocketed her device once more before looking to everyone else as she stood up from her seat. "Well, just my luck. I'll have to miss out on this new development yet again. I've got an... urgent matter that needs my attention. Play nice with him now, alright, everyone?" She sighed, and without missing a beat, turned around to exit through the door.

View attachment 10759

"..."

Eno Liberi
@Jeremi @Josh @Rwac96 @Capri @Yun Lee @Not a Writer @Gummi Bunnies @Crunch @Minerva @Takumi @Ottonomous Ghost @Ver @Everyone

Eno had gotten used to these instances of 'group therapy' by now. Though, this would be the first time he would hear of everyone else's ailments, much like how this would also be the first time he revealed what had ailed him.

It was poetic, really, a way to say 'farewell' to the issues that had brought them all together in the first place, the final step in their rehabilitation, or so he hoped.

He listened intently as those around him spoke of what their own delusions were. Some believed they were not from this world, other believed they had supernatural powers, and others still, had vivid delusions of fighting in wars, some that would leave the very planet around them permanently scarred.

In the end, he too spoke up, waiting his turn.

"I am Eno Liberi. My delusions began as nightmares. One where I had transformed into some avian abomination, a calamity to its surroundings. All after I had become disillusioned with a group I had believed to be my family. I... Think it was called... 'Reunion'." He shook his head a little, taking a moment to clear his head, then smiled.

"I'm pleased to say I am no longer sleep walking, nor have I had any more of these delusions. The nightmares are gone too. Of course, I still have trouble singing. But in time, I hope to share with you, the song that has haunted me my whole life." He said, clasping his hands together.

Seeing Chloe trying to calm herself too, he offered her a gentle pat on her shoulder. Once upon a time, they were classmates, before he had been committed here for his increasingly erratic behavior. It seemed she too had followed suit just a few months after.

In the end, they were all in the same boat.

Though as those amongst the circle began to talk amongst himself, he couldn't help but begin to eavesdrop on the nearby conversations. And one in particular ended up shaking him to his core; Khada had taken upon himself to tell a story of a 'Golden Demon', one who had ravaged their very surroundings, destabilizing a once delicate balance between man and demon.

Only for it to have been discovered to have been a man.

To him, it brought back vivid memories of those nightmares he once had. One where he felt much like a demon, one who ensnared many in his song, one who raised a herd of infected and was destined to bring disaster to those around him.

But the most unsettling part about those nightmares. Was that it was only in them, that he found himself able to sing.

His hoarse, pained cries blended together to form a haunting melody.

A lullaby that felt eerily familiar to him.

Though he tried to hide it, his eyes widened as he turned towards Khada, then averted his gaze, trying to play off his reaction.

It seemed in the end, the story had a third, unexpected listener, at least until Elijah's... Eccentricity was brought to his attention, allowing him the excuse he needed to get up and tend to the situation.

Offering Chloe a timid wave, he moved over to Elijah, relieved to see Clark had already begun to try and help him back to the circle.

"Elijah. It's okay. You're here now, with us. You're safe, alright?" He said, noticing that Elijah seemed a little less distant this time.

If it weren't for that nasty pain in his throat whenever he tried, he might have attempted to at least hum a lullaby.

Somehow, that was his first instinct to comfort someone.

After all, he had this faint memory of someone comforting him the same way. Someone who took pity on his inability to sing to himself.

Their hands were cold, but yet... They had a distinct warmth in their voice when they sang.

Who was she...? Where did she go...?

He shook his head, deciding to focus on Elijah for now. Such thoughts rarely helped him rehabilitate in the end...​

ERIN NATICK
@Ver @Ottonomous Ghost @Rwac96 @Everyone Else

"Wow!" Erin said, practically jumping out of her seat, "What a story!"

Her actions spoke louder than her words, her subtle twitches and stims, the slight pulling on her shirt and adjusting of her yellow and blue socks and gloves. The rubbing of her fingertips against her chest and slight twitch of the neck. She was really into Khada’s story.

"Hello, Elijah," the journalist began, kneeling down to eye level as he focused on him. "hmm, can...can you understand us?"

"Of course he can!" Erin said, a hint of offense to her voice "He’s mentally ill, not stupid,"

"It's fine, Clark. I should have been more clearer

Sylvia lightly touches Clark's arm, followed by reassuring smile. Look back at Elijah, then back at Clark. However, before she could speak, another voice spoke.

ERIN NATICK
@Ver @Ottonomous Ghost @Rwac96 @Everyone Else

"Wow!" Erin said, practically jumping out of her seat, "What a story!"

Her actions spoke louder than her words, her subtle twitches and stims, the slight pulling on her shirt and adjusting of her yellow and blue socks and gloves. The rubbing of her fingertips against her chest and slight twitch of the neck. She was really into Khada’s story.

"Of course he can!" Erin said, a hint of offense to her voice "He’s mentally ill, not stupid,"

"Nobody is saying that he's stupid, Ena. We just don't know how aware or alert he is. The human brain is complicated.

@Rwac96 @Ver @Capri @Yun Lee @Crunch

So much was happening Michelle was once again having a hard time focusing on any single person. Staples was probably the best one to focus on. Being the ringleader, of a sort. Her eyes went over to Elijah a few seconds later than the others.

As the others were talking they'd hear a basic text-to-speech program emit from Michelle's tablet. "I think he's just a little lost," the voice spoke. "I communicate with him from time to time. It's nice to just have someone listening to your thoughts that don't judge you."

She put the tablet back on her lap and signed towards Elijah. [Right?]

@Ver @Everyone

Flynn couldn't come up with a response to Sylvia before she started talking to the other patients in the room. So, he didn't. She didn't know how much of a miracle it was that her attention turned away from him. It was like standing in the spotlight - a blinding glow searing into your eyes, a heat drawing the moisture out of your skin, and a thousand eyes that belonged to no faces staring at you from the darkness. He could barely talk to another person without using that kind of metaphor to describe the feeling.

God, I am fucked up, Flynn thought, the only rational thought he had all morning.

He had to keep it all on the surface. He couldn't start thinking about it too much because then it'll become real. He wanted nothing more than for the room to shut the hell up until someone started talking about their newest novel or something stupid like that, so Flynn tuned it out as best he could. When Dr. Staple left, the pounding started again - as it always did.

The Golden Demon. Demon, demon, demon.

"Hmmn," a low growl rose from his throat. "Shut up."

His command was quiet but strained like he was suffering from a pounding headache. The marine rubbed his face and stared at the blabbering artist. His limbs were long and spindly like a spider - thin and easy to snap like a twig over his knee. He blinked once - a spindly, bony shadow stood in the place of Khada, with twitching red eyes staring back at Flynn, full of hatred and malice. A gurgling hiss crept into his ear, and the shadow flexed its bony fingers until a flickering flame emerged in its palm. Flynn blinked - involuntarily - and Khada was standing there again.

The marine flinched and then pressed his heel against the floor, standing upright with enough force to send his chair toppling over, landing with a loud metal bang. Flynn stumbled, turning away towards the door that the patients first entered through.

"I'm-" he breathed, and he blinked, looking at the door like it was his only way out. He shook his head. "I'm going back to my room."

View attachment 10758

Vvvt, vvvt.

View attachment 10759

"..."

But then, Flynn couldn't go back. All eyes, including his, turned to the quiet tapping in the corner. It was Elijah.

Flynn hadn't interacted with Elijah all that much. He didn't interact with anyone. As far as anyone at Raven Hill Memorial knew, he and Elijah could have been opposites - the silent, brittle-boned man in the chair and the loud, pounding jarhead in the cell. Still, Flynn was as shocked as anyone to see the man stir from his stillness, like a statue coming to life.

He knew a few guys like that in Iraq. People react to trauma in wildly different ways - in the worst cases, the brain has no idea how to process it all. Everything locks up like a bad computer, and nothing works anymore. They're just stuck.

Flynn stood between the fallen chair and the door, staring over a dozen heads at Elijah, wondering what he'd do until the thought of his waiting room drew him back towards the door - assuming that no guards would try to stop him. I'm not trying to escape, damn it, Flynn thought.

As it is now, he was more afraid of the outside world than the comfort of his empty cell.

@Ottonomous Ghost @Josh @Rwac96 @Ver @Anyone​

s the others were talking they'd hear a basic text-to-speech program emit from Michelle's tablet. "I think he's just a little lost," the voice spoke. "I communicate with him from time to time. It's nice to just have someone listening to your thoughts that don't judge you."

Read Michelle's tablet as she comments on the subject at hand, the word 'lost' repeating in his mind. "Lost," Clark spoke, beginning to stare off into space; moving his focus from Elijah. "Lost."

An image of his father comes into his mind, consoling a twelve or thirteen-year-old Clark Kent. The memory seemed fuzzy as if he had forgotten the words. He know that it was the day he discovered that he was adopted, but, the details wouldn't come to mind.

The journalist shakes his head, returning his focus to the present. Shifting his thoughts from Smallville to the present of Raven Hill Memorial Institute. Clark shifts his eyes back to the wheelchair-bound man, though his brows are creased a bit.

@Jeremi @Ver @Everyone​

Although she'd originally managed to make herself aware that the anxiety she was feeling over this gathering was irrational, that didn't mean that it went away. As the chatter of the room grew louder and louder, Takara found it harder and harder to keep herself in the moment. It was okay. She was okay. Inhale, exhale; rinse, and repeat. Deeply, she breathed, closing her eyes for a few moments as she worked to ground herself. She wasn't afraid of the others, or anything; not even as they went on to speak of things such as demons and wars, love and loss, and many other dreary things. Rather, the loud din of the room just felt overstimulating. Like she was trapped in a cage with a bunch of animals, some sort of lab rat left at the hands of--

No.

Those had all been imaginary experiences. She hadn't ever been experimented on or anything of the like. Reaching up and rubbing her eyes for a moment with a slightly tired expression, the woman released an almost inaudible sigh before managing to call upon a small smile once more. If nothing else, she was glad for the fact that she'd gotten over the phase where she'd had that horrible superiority complex and tendency to snap at those around her for the smallest things. Thanks to the success of her rehab, she was able to respond to the people around her more normally again. That included Elijah's incredible progress.

"Mm, you might want to step back a bit," she offered after a moment, noticing that several of the other patients had been attracted to the wheelchair-bound man. "We don't want to overwhelm him by crowding his space." She was sure that if she was in a wheelchair, she definitely wouldn't want people leaning down to her height or surrounding her. She dealt with enough people doing the former just as a joke because she was short, and that had never felt good.

But she digressed. What could they ask the previously unresponsive man? Admittedly, the timing of his seeming lucidity did feel a little odd, with the good doctor having literally left the room, but... surely that was mere coincidence. In any case, she thought for a moment before growing distracted, nodding in agreement with Michelle's translated words. She had never been great at ASL herself, but since coming here, she'd had the inclination to ask the medical team to teach her a few things. It was extremely basic knowledge, and she often messed up the intricate grammatical structure of the language, but she at least knew enough to hold basic conversation or fingerspell out words she didn't know the signs for. "Absolutely. I'm sure he's appreciated your attention, too," she surmised, giving a small wave to get Michelle's attention before shakily translating her sentiment in sign, mentally hitting herself for how long it took her to fingerspell 'attention' since that hadn't been a sign she learned yet. She knew she likely looked like an idiot to the other woman, but she was trying.

"...Anyway, ah." Hmm. What could they ask him? She didn't want to ask anything that might be sensitive or take too much deep thought, but nor did she want to accidentally infantilize him. Eventually, she brightened slightly, seeming to stumble onto an idea she felt fit the bill. "I know! Do you like to listen to music? One tap for yes," she offered, proud of herself for coming up with something that would hopefully work. She attempted to sign this as well so as to avoid leaving Michelle out of the loop, and this time, it seemed like she actually knew the necessary signs. She was just sooo slowww. Just when she'd been finishing up, though, something else caught her attention.

The sound of Flynn's chair hitting the floor prompted her to flinch and even jump, and she almost found herself yelling at him for the undue disruption. Fortunately, her abundance of anger management training since coming here helped her not do that, and she instead looked concerned as he began staggering toward the door. "Woah, hey... A-are you alright? Is there anything I can do for you?" Concerned, she took a step toward him, looking unsure as to whether it was better to follow him or give him space. Maybe they ought to call for the doctor?

@Ver @Jeremi @Josh @Rwac96 @Capri @Yun Lee @Crunch @Gummi Bunnies @York @Minerva @Takumi @Ottonomous Ghost @Everyone

Back