"Mm, you might want to step back a bit," she offered after a moment, noticing that several of the other patients had been attracted to the wheelchair-bound man. "We don't want to overwhelm him by crowding his space." She was sure that if she was in a wheelchair, she definitely wouldn't want people leaning down to her height or surrounding her. She dealt with enough people doing the former just as a joke because she was short, and that had never felt good.

Blinking as he listened to Takara's voice, remembering that this man was condition likely direr than everyone else present in the circle. Clark stands up straight and proceeds to take a few steps back. "She's right," he said, "if he wants to speak, maybe we shouldn't overwhelm him."

@Ver @Not a Writer

"Khada" Jhin - Activity Room
@Crunch @Not a Writer @Capri @York @Ver @anyone

"Wow!" Erin said, practically jumping out of her seat, "What a story!"

Her actions spoke louder than her words, her subtle twitches and stims, the slight pulling on her shirt and adjusting of her yellow and blue socks and gloves. The rubbing of her fingertips against her chest and slight twitch of the neck. She was really into Khada’s story.

Khada watched all the little idiosyncrasies that Erin had displayed. He surmised that she was experiencing a mix of horror and excitement, which was exactly his intent. The contrast was beautiful. This was the reaction that he lived for. He closed his eyes and smiled contently. "I am so very glad to hear that," he said, looking back at Erin, "To meet someone who has a similar taste in tragedy-- fictional tragedy, of course."

The Golden Demon. Demon, demon, demon.

"Hmmn," a low growl rose from his throat. "Shut up."

His command was quiet but strained like he was suffering from a pounding headache. The marine rubbed his face and stared at the blabbering artist. His limbs were long and spindly like a spider - thin and easy to snap like a twig over his knee. He blinked once - a spindly, bony shadow stood in the place of Khada, with twitching red eyes staring back at Flynn, full of hatred and malice. A gurgling hiss crept into his ear, and the shadow flexed its bony fingers until a flickering flame emerged in its palm. Flynn blinked - involuntarily - and Khada was standing there again.

The marine flinched and then pressed his heel against the floor, standing upright with enough force to send his chair toppling over, landing with a loud metal bang. Flynn stumbled, turning away towards the door that the patients first entered through.

"I'm-" he breathed, and he blinked, looking at the door like it was his only way out. He shook his head. "I'm going back to my room."

Fabulous.

It was one thing to observe Erina's reaction, but this? Khada felt something else. He examined Flynn's twisted face, his eyes moving up and down, observing every inch of it. Now this was something to take inspiration from. Flynn didn't have a boring, symmetrical face. It was a face that had gone through true tragedy. Khada felt distinctly in tune with the marine's thoughts. He could imagine the trauma he kept down inside, all of the horrors he had witnessed during his time as a soldier. Jhin wondered what kind of face Flynn would have upon seeing one of his peers die in the heat of battle. In fact, he might just draw that. In secret. The others didn't have to know. The doctor would see it, but who was she to judge an artist's work?

"Don't break a leg now, Flynn. My performance has only just begun," he teased.

But the most unsettling part about those nightmares. Was that it was only in them, that he found himself able to sing.

His hoarse, pained cries blended together to form a haunting melody.

A lullaby that felt eerily familiar to him.

Though he tried to hide it, his eyes widened as he turned towards Khada, then averted his gaze, trying to play off his reaction.

It seemed in the end, the story had a third, unexpected listener, at least until Elijah's... Eccentricity was brought to his attention, allowing him the excuse he needed to get up and tend to the situation.

The now-dignified artist gave Eno a sharp glance as the boy's eyes widened. He almost chuckled. Did he really think he wouldn't notice? Before Khada could comment, though, Eno had already excused himself to help Elijah. How clever.

The sound of Flynn's chair hitting the floor prompted her to flinch and even jump, and she almost found herself yelling at him for the undue disruption. Fortunately, her abundance of anger management training since coming here helped her not do that, and she instead looked concerned as he began staggering toward the door. "Woah, hey... A-are you alright? Is there anything I can do for you?" Concerned, she took a step toward him, looking unsure as to whether it was better to follow him or give him space. Maybe they ought to call for the doctor?

"Leave him," Khada suggested absent-mindedly. He was back to drawing on his tablet. "I'm sure he'll come back eventually."

"..."

At first, Elijah didn't seem to immediately respond to anyone who tried to communicate with him. His gaze remained out of focus, not even tapping his finger to anyone, much less any other verbal sign.

When no reply came, Fujiko shrugged her shoulders widely. "See? No one's home upstairs in there, stop crowding around--" She began, until a deeper, almost booming voice cut her off.

"I appreciate the sentiment, Ms. Natick, though... if anyone is mentally compromised in this room, it isn't me."

"Oh, Jesus--"

The sudden, lucid speech from Elijah caused Fujiko to almost jump in her seat, truly not expecting the man to suddenly come to like that. In a mere second, his eyes came to focus again, as sharp as the rest of anyone in the room. His lips ever so slightly curled into a trace of a knowing, almost patronizing smile.

View attachment 10763

"Oh... Just look what the good doctor did to you all. You were all fine just the way you were before, and now... tsk, tsk," Elijah shook his head, even clicking his tongue in such an animated manner that it was easy to forget he was seemingly catatonic mere seconds ago. He even effortlessly signed all of his words as well for Michelle's convenience as he spoke.

His voice was rather demanding despite his fragile body; Staple had mentioned in the past that Elijah was born with a rare condition that caused his bones to be extremely fragile, to the point where a particularly nasty fall a whole twenty years ago was what confined him to this wheelchair to begin with. However, if there was one thing more fractured than his body, it must have been his mind, as he believed himself to be a real life supervillain, even adopting his own "villain name," Mr. Glass. Staple considered him the hardest case she'd ever had, but with the rest of you all on your way out of Raven Hill soon enough, he wouldn't continue occupying your minds for much longer.

Right?

"It is depressing how easily you all accepted what Staple told you so easily. How eager people are to believe they are normal, as if normal is something to aspire to. What would your former selves think of you like this?" He shook his head like a disappointed parent.

@Jeremi @Josh @Rwac96 @Capri @Yun Lee @Not a Writer @Gummi Bunnies @Crunch @Minerva @Takumi @Ottonomous Ghost @York @Everyone

ERIN NATICK
@Ver @EveryoneElse

"Normalcy is boring," Erin spoke, "I don't aspire to be normal…"

Erin brought a hand to her chin quizzically. "But what do you mean 'Way I Was Before', Mr. Price,"

Nothing, just the same out-of-focus gaze. Clark folds his arms, his nose wrinkling as he mentally reminded himself that things like this take time...though he was on his way out and to return to his family. The journalist couldn't hide the fact that he was slightly disappointed, as he was about to return to his seat.

"I appreciate the sentiment, Ms. Natick, though... if anyone is mentally compromised in this room, it isn't me."

"Excuse me?" The Kansas-Raised man turns around, looking at the formerly catatonic man; who was now speaking with articulation. But the first words that escaped his lips were to relate with their own thoughts. He scratches at his hair slightly, staring at the wheelchair-bound man.

"Oh... Just look what the good doctor did to you all. You were all fine just the way you were before, and now... tsk, tsk,"

"Fine?" Clark spoke up as if he was finding a sudden burst of courage. "Elijah, I don't know if you notice, but we're all here to get better. There are those of us who have lives to return to. My wife, my son--!"

"It is depressing how easily you all accepted what Staple told you so easily. How eager people are to believe they are normal, as if normal is something to aspire to. What would your former selves think of you like this?"

Clark found himself speechless, moments ago, the man before them looked worse off than anyone here. But as of now, he was talking to them and in a patronizing manner. He grimaced at his words, shaking his head lightly at the thought of him being an alien. Massaging his temple, taking a quick deep breath.

View attachment 10764

"You say that like we're accepting mediocrity," Clark places his hands on his hips, though he didn't glare at the sitting man. "Doctor Staple has been helping me, you, all of us present. Do you truly believe that we're these...fantastical people? That...I'm this 'Superman' person?"

@Ver @Everyone​

Last edited:

Blinking as he listened to Takara's voice, remembering that this man was condition likely direr than everyone else present in the circle. Clark stands up straight and proceeds to take a few steps back. "She's right," he said, "if he wants to speak, maybe we shouldn't overwhelm him."

@Ver @Not a Writer

Khada watched all the little idiosyncrasies that Erin had displayed. He surmised that she was experiencing a mix of horror and excitement, which was exactly his intent. The contrast was beautiful. This was the reaction that he lived for. He closed his eyes and smiled contently. "I am so very glad to hear that," he said, looking back at Erin, "To meet someone who has a similar taste in tragedy-- fictional tragedy, of course."

Fabulous.

It was one thing to observe Erina's reaction, but this? Khada felt something else. He examined Flynn's twisted face, his eyes moving up and down, observing every inch of it. Now this was something to take inspiration from. Flynn didn't have a boring, symmetrical face. It was a face that had gone through true tragedy. Khada felt distinctly in tune with the marine's thoughts. He could imagine the trauma he kept down inside, all of the horrors he had witnessed during his time as a soldier. Jhin wondered what kind of face Flynn would have upon seeing one of his peers die in the heat of battle. In fact, he might just draw that. In secret. The others didn't have to know. The doctor would see it, but who was she to judge an artist's work?

The now-dignified artist gave Eno a sharp glance as the boy's eyes widened. He almost chuckled. Did he really think he wouldn't notice? Before Khada could comment, though, Eno had already excused himself to help Elijah. How clever.

"Leave him," Khada suggested absent-mindedly. He was back to drawing on his tablet. "I'm sure he'll come back eventually."
"..."

At first, Elijah didn't seem to immediately respond to anyone who tried to communicate with him. His gaze remained out of focus, not even tapping his finger to anyone, much less any other verbal sign.

When no reply came, Fujiko shrugged her shoulders widely. "See? No one's home upstairs in there, stop crowding around--" She began, until a deeper, almost booming voice cut her off.

"Oh, Jesus--"

The sudden, lucid speech from Elijah caused Fujiko to almost jump in her seat, truly not expecting the man to suddenly come to like that. In a mere second, his eyes came to focus again, as sharp as the rest of anyone in the room. His lips ever so slightly curled into a trace of a knowing, almost patronizing smile.

View attachment 10763

"Oh... Just look what the good doctor did to you all. You were all fine just the way you were before, and now... tsk, tsk," Elijah shook his head, even clicking his tongue in such an animated manner that it was easy to forget he was seemingly catatonic mere seconds ago. He even effortlessly signed all of his words as well for Michelle's convenience as he spoke.

His voice was rather demanding despite his fragile body; Staple had mentioned in the past that Elijah was born with a rare condition that caused his bones to be extremely fragile, to the point where a particularly nasty fall a whole twenty years ago was what confined him to this wheelchair to begin with. However, if there was one thing more fractured than his body, it must have been his mind, as he believed himself to be a real life supervillain, even adopting his own "villain name," Mr. Glass. Staple considered him the hardest case she'd ever had, but with the rest of you all on your way out of Raven Hill soon enough, he wouldn't continue occupying your minds for much longer.

Right?

"It is depressing how easily you all accepted what Staple told you so easily. How eager people are to believe they are normal, as if normal is something to aspire to. What would your former selves think of you like this?" He shook his head like a disappointed parent.

@Jeremi @Josh @Rwac96 @Capri @Yun Lee @Not a Writer @Gummi Bunnies @Crunch @Minerva @Takumi @Ottonomous Ghost @York @Everyone
Hearing Clark agree with her prompted Takara to smile faintly, glad to see that Elijah was being given a little more space. However, it was definitely just a tad disconcerting that the despondent male didn't give any sort of response- physical or verbal- to her inquiry. Though, it wasn't surprising per se, and she certainly wasn't discouraged. The fact that he had shown any coherency at all was practically a miracle, and definitely something to be excited about!

Less exciting, though, was the weird interaction between Khada and Flynn. Honestly, the whole thing was a tad uncomfortable, and the woman wasn't really sure what to make of it. Especially when Khada told her to leave Flynn be. "Well, yes, but if he's in distress then shouldn't we--"

Whatever she'd intended to say trailed off as Elijah spoke up, launching the woman into a state of utter shock. Emerald eyes went wide, and her gaze shot back toward the wheelchair-bound man, staring at him incredulously. Under normal circumstances, she probably would've thought it exciting and groundbreaking, hearing him speak and sign full sentences. Yet now... it was eerie, almost downright unsettling. The look on his face coupled with the weight of his words was enough to make her stomach turn.

Her silence lasted for several moments as she soaked in his words before finally snapping out of it, looking just a little unsure. Was this guy really so deep in his delusions that he wanted to encourage the rest of them to chase their own silly fantasies? "I wouldn't say it's quite like that," she argued, though she imagined it was likely moot. "All of us have lost a lot. I don't think wanting to get back what we have left is a crime. Wanting to heal isn't a blind pursuit of normality, is it? I think the doctor's efforts to help us were pretty generous, personally..." But if he disagreed, so be it. The doctor had mentioned he hadn't made it as far in his rehabilitation yet. Honestly, Takara couldn't help but feel slightly bad that he was still this out of touch with reality even after the majority of the group was ready to leave. She hoped he wouldn't get lonely when they graduated...

@Ver @Jeremi @Josh @Rwac96 @Capri @Yun Lee @Gummi Bunnies @Crunch @Minerva @Takumi @Ottonomous Ghost @York @Everyone

Nothing, just the same out-of-focus gaze. Clark folds his arms, his wrinkling as he mentally reminded himself that things like this take time...though he was on his way out and to return to his family. The journalist couldn't hide the fact that he was slightly disappointed, as he was about to return to his seat.

"Excuse me?" The Kansas-Raised man turns around, looking at the formerly catatonic man; who was now speaking with articulation. But the first words that escaped his lips were to relate with their own thoughts. He scratches at his hair slightly, staring at the wheelchair-bound man.

"Fine?" Clark spoke up as if he was finding a sudden burst of courage. "Elijah, I don't know if you notice, but we're all here to get better. There are those of us who have lives to return to. My wife, my son--!"

Clark found himself speechless, moments ago, the man before them looked worse off than anyone here. But as of now, he was talking to them and in a patronizing manner. He grimaced at his words, shaking his head lightly at the thought of him being an alien. Massaging his temple, taking a quick deep breath.

View attachment 10764

"You say that like we're accepting mediocrity," Clark places his hands on his hips, though he didn't glare at the sitting man. "Doctor Staple has been helping me, you, all of us present. Do you truly believe that we're these...fantastical people? That...I'm this 'Superman' person?"

@Ver @Everyone​
Following Clark's lead, Sylvia, again at eye level with the wheelchair bound man, shock.
View attachment 10766
"Elijah, this isn't helping anyone. You're obviously confused., disoriented."

Sylvia, however, slightly caught herself wondering what if the man is right? What if their visions of grander were real? No. Sylvia shook.

"We're just normal people, Elijah. My visions of being thousands of years old? About being able to change objects? It's my mine reacting to trauma to my parents dying, my husband leaving, and being alone. Just a story to feel less alone and better about myself. Nothing more. "

However, Syvia did feel a cold sweat run down her neck. Part of her; the part she was trying to ignore, wanted him to be right, for some reason. Historical, humanity has evolved. Maybe this was the next step? Again, she shook her head. No.
@Ver @Jeremi @Josh @Rwac96 @Capri @Yun Lee @Gummi Bunnies @Crunch @Minerva @Takumi @Ottonomous Ghost @York

The sound of Flynn's chair hitting the floor prompted her to flinch and even jump, and she almost found herself yelling at him for the undue disruption. Fortunately, her abundance of anger management training since coming here helped her not do that, and she instead looked concerned as he began staggering toward the door. "Woah, hey... A-are you alright? Is there anything I can do for you?" Concerned, she took a step toward him, looking unsure as to whether it was better to follow him or give him space. Maybe they ought to call for the doctor?

@Ver @Jeremi @Josh @Rwac96 @Capri @Yun Lee @Crunch @Gummi Bunnies @York @Minerva @Takumi @Ottonomous Ghost @Everyone
Flynn bristled. Just hearing a voice in his direction did it - he turned a bit too quick, looking at the source of the voice. By now, the pounding had subsided, leaving a dull pain rocking in and out the fore of his skull, like the morning after a long night of drinking, without the dryness on his tongue. Flynn was left standing between the circle and the door like a man at sea, not knowing which way to swim to. All he had to look at was this girl that had dared to approach him.

After a moment, Flynn pulled his gaze away from her and turned, rubbing his face again and nodding hastily. "I'm fine. I'm- I just need to go back to my room."

He couldn't dignify the artist with a response, though he could hear his voice. He sounded as if he knew what he did - like he knew what Flynn had just seen. That, or he was just a freak trying to play at being an edgy, controversial artist. He almost laughed because that had to be it. He was getting riled up by a soft-skinned, cowardly bastard who wouldn't pick up a gun for his country if his life depended on it. He's a freak.

Flynn was the normal one. He had to be the normal one.

The marine shook his head again and tried to move for the door, but another voice lashed on his ankles like a chain.
"..."

"Oh, Jesus--"

View attachment 10763

Right?

"... What?" Flynn asked in a whisper.

He wasn't looking at Elijah when he spoke, but he heard him - more distinctly than anyone else in the room. What he said prompted him to turn slowly to look at his fellow patient. He was talking a lot - more than he ever did at all since Flynn came here. That fragile, brittle man spoke like he knew everyone. He told it like he was there - in the dirt, on the ground, in the stench.

The stinging, warm wetness of the blood on Flynn's face, his lungs unable to pump enough air to push his body into action. The boiling mud beneath his feet. The foul air, so thick that it clogged the throat. Stepping and stumbling over bodies like they were just more rocks in the dirt. the pounding and the thunderous roaring in his ears.

Here was this brittle, fragile, soft old man telling him that all of that was good.

"... Shut up," the marine growled, turning on his feet and starting towards Elijah. "Just- just shut the hell up. You don't get to say that."

Unless anyone was stopping him, the marine moved within just a few feet of Elijah, his dull gaze now lit with cold, bitter tension. Such a large and menacing man was standing over a nigh-catatonic cripple.

"People came here to be made better. People have seen shit that- that boggles the mind. That terrifies them. And you're sitting here, acting like- like they should believe in that? Like you know what they saw? What- what I saw?"

Flynn breathed and shook his head. "You don't know me. You don't know anyone. Fuck you."

@Not a Writer @Ottonomous Ghost @Ver @Josh @Rwac96 @Anyone​

Karina gave Sylvia a cheery smile. "Oh! I have no idea...but didn't Anastasia, like, lose her memory and end up in Paris and stuff? And like...she eloped too, right?" Karina pursed her lips as she tried to remember the extent of her Romanov history. "So I guess she wouldn't keep her last name since every Romanov in my family up until me was a guy. Unless she was a lesbian, maybe? But I mean, love who you love, right?"

Though her bubbly demenor deflated as Elijah spoke. Ugh...creepy. Not because he's in a wheelchair, of course. Disabled people are just like normal people! Or are they supposed to be called handicapped, maybe? She made a mental note to call that PR guy Daddy hired about that once she can finally get out of this place. The last thing she wanted was to be cancelled again.

"I mean, my other self would probably be, like, really happy to be rich?" She at least decided to humor Elijah, giving him a polite smile despite her unease at the flaring tensions in the room. "Karin - that was her name - she was always so...so angry. She was just such a bitch about, like, everything." As she said the next part, Karina's hand instinctively moved to her stomach. "She was always so hungry, too..."

But the sudden move from Flynn snapped her out of her reflection. "Um, h-hey! Maybe let's, um, not?"

@Josh @Ver @Crunch @Everyone​

Flynn couldn't come up with a response to Sylvia before she started talking to the other patients in the room. So, he didn't. She didn't know how much of a miracle it was that her attention turned away from him. It was like standing in the spotlight - a blinding glow searing into your eyes, a heat drawing the moisture out of your skin, and a thousand eyes that belonged to no faces staring at you from the darkness. He could barely talk to another person without using that kind of metaphor to describe the feeling.

God, I am fucked up, Flynn thought, the only rational thought he had all morning.

He had to keep it all on the surface. He couldn't start thinking about it too much because then it'll become real. He wanted nothing more than for the room to shut the hell up until someone started talking about their newest novel or something stupid like that, so Flynn tuned it out as best he could. When Dr. Staple left, the pounding started again - as it always did.

The Golden Demon. Demon, demon, demon.

"Hmmn," a low growl rose from his throat. "Shut up."

His command was quiet but strained like he was suffering from a pounding headache. The marine rubbed his face and stared at the blabbering artist. His limbs were long and spindly like a spider - thin and easy to snap like a twig over his knee. He blinked once - a spindly, bony shadow stood in the place of Khada, with twitching red eyes staring back at Flynn, full of hatred and malice. A gurgling hiss crept into his ear, and the shadow flexed its bony fingers until a flickering flame emerged in its palm. Flynn blinked - involuntarily - and Khada was standing there again.

The marine flinched and then pressed his heel against the floor, standing upright with enough force to send his chair toppling over, landing with a loud metal bang. Flynn stumbled, turning away towards the door that the patients first entered through.

"I'm-" he breathed, and he blinked, looking at the door like it was his only way out. He shook his head. "I'm going back to my room."

But then, Flynn couldn't go back. All eyes, including his, turned to the quiet tapping in the corner. It was Elijah.

Flynn hadn't interacted with Elijah all that much. He didn't interact with anyone. As far as anyone at Raven Hill Memorial knew, he and Elijah could have been opposites - the silent, brittle-boned man in the chair and the loud, pounding jarhead in the cell. Still, Flynn was as shocked as anyone to see the man stir from his stillness, like a statue coming to life.

He knew a few guys like that in Iraq. People react to trauma in wildly different ways - in the worst cases, the brain has no idea how to process it all. Everything locks up like a bad computer, and nothing works anymore. They're just stuck.

Flynn stood between the fallen chair and the door, staring over a dozen heads at Elijah, wondering what he'd do until the thought of his waiting room drew him back towards the door - assuming that no guards would try to stop him. I'm not trying to escape, damn it, Flynn thought.

As it is now, he was more afraid of the outside world than the comfort of his empty cell.

@Ottonomous Ghost @Josh @Rwac96 @Ver @Anyone​

c325c46cbeaf50f6d0e106e430e4cbd64adb3477.png

"!!"

Hagusa himself had tuned out most of the conversation floating g around d him. There were too many people and conversations going on that he wanted no part of, though Flynn's sudden movement, which caused his chair to loudly hit the group caused the young man to flinch before tensing.

"..."

"Oh, Jesus--"

View attachment 10763

Right?

Eyes snapping to Elijah as he spoke, his words setting something deep in Hagusa's gut boiling.

"Yuki got locked in a closet, twice, as punishment from a shit dad and then an asshole of a brother. How is that fine?" He snapped, the words coming out at a low hiss, not aware of the slight slip. Though Flynn moving to stand over Elijah...it put him on edge, moreso than he already was, his fingers twitching as the tensions in the room quickly began to rise. Though Karina was quick in trying to defuse the situation, Hagusa could see where Flynn was coming from on one hand. On the other...the way things were playing out made the boy's anxiety spike. Flynn's large frame standing over Elijah reminded him of--

Taking a shaky breath to try and calm his nerves, his fists clenched and unclenched a moment. The boiling anger had subsided for now. Now that the fire was gone as quick as it came, he didn't even know what to do but he watched Flynn wearily as he shifted his stance as if he were going to try and stand between the two men almost on instinct.

@Ver @Crunch @Yun Lee @Everyone

Last edited:
"..."

"Oh, Jesus--"

View attachment 10763

Right?

There would be the shattering of ceramic, and the muttering of "Shoot..." as Morgan dropped the coffee mug from her hands, and it smashed against the floor. She shrugged and let out a deep sigh, putting her fingers on the bridge of her nose. "Old habits die hard, I guess."

She wouldn't look at Elijah as she spoke, instead sighing again. "Morgan, The Other Morgan, let's call her January, since that's when I was first affected. January was once brilliant, and then she was an empty shell of herself. Sure, she could fire balls of kinetic energy from herself, or control machines, but January... She was but Prey for something greater." She looked down at the spot on the floor where the shattered ceramic mug pieces lay. "something that only devoured, and was incredibly ancient."

"She was being hunted by a god damn Nightmare." She crossed her arms and let out a deep sigh. "I don't aspire to be, quote-unquote normal. As I said, I want to dream big. My problem was that I was dreaming too big that it became uncontrollable."

Shaking her head in a disgusted manner, she got down on her knees and started picking up the large chunks of the mug into her hands to throw away. "I want to shake things up, like I did before I met January."

@Anyone, I guess?

Fabulous.

"..."

"Oh, Jesus--"

View attachment 10763

Right?

ERIN NATICK
@Ver @EveryoneElse

Erin brought a hand to her chin quizzically. "But what do you mean 'Way I Was Before', Mr. Price,"

Nothing, just the same out-of-focus gaze. Clark folds his arms, his wrinkling as he mentally reminded himself that things like this take time...though he was on his way out and to return to his family. The journalist couldn't hide the fact that he was slightly disappointed, as he was about to return to his seat.

View attachment 10764

@Ver @Everyone​
Hearing Clark agree with her prompted Takara to smile faintly, glad to see that Elijah was being given a little more space. However, it was definitely just a tad disconcerting that the despondent male didn't give any sort of response- physical or verbal- to her inquiry. Though, it wasn't surprising per se, and she certainly wasn't discouraged. The fact that he had shown any coherency at all was practically a miracle, and definitely something to be excited about!

Less exciting, though, was the weird interaction between Khada and Flynn. Honestly, the whole thing was a tad uncomfortable, and the woman wasn't really sure what to make of it. Especially when Khada told her to leave Flynn be. "Well, yes, but if he's in distress then shouldn't we--"

Whatever she'd intended to say trailed off as Elijah spoke up, launching the woman into a state of utter shock. Emerald eyes went wide, and her gaze shot back toward the wheelchair-bound man, staring at him incredulously. Under normal circumstances, she probably would've thought it exciting and groundbreaking, hearing him speak and sign full sentences. Yet now... it was eerie, almost downright unsettling. The look on his face coupled with the weight of his words was enough to make her stomach turn.

Her silence lasted for several moments as she soaked in his words before finally snapping out of it, looking just a little unsure. Was this guy really so deep in his delusions that he wanted to encourage the rest of them to chase their own silly fantasies? "I wouldn't say it's quite like that," she argued, though she imagined it was likely moot. "All of us have lost a lot. I don't think wanting to get back what we have left is a crime. Wanting to heal isn't a blind pursuit of normality, is it? I think the doctor's efforts to help us were pretty generous, personally..." But if he disagreed, so be it. The doctor had mentioned he hadn't made it as far in his rehabilitation yet. Honestly, Takara couldn't help but feel slightly bad that he was still this out of touch with reality even after the majority of the group was ready to leave. She hoped he wouldn't get lonely when they graduated...

@Ver @Jeremi @Josh @Rwac96 @Capri @Yun Lee @Gummi Bunnies @Crunch @Minerva @Takumi @Ottonomous Ghost @York @Everyone
Following Clark's lead, Sylvia, again at eye level with the wheelchair bound man, shock.
View attachment 10766
"Elijah, this isn't helping anyone. You're obviously confused., disoriented."

Sylvia, however, slightly caught herself wondering what if the man is right? What if their visions of grander were real? No. Sylvia shook.

"We're just normal people, Elijah. My visions of being thousands of years old? About being able to change objects? It's my mine reacting to trauma to my parents dying, my husband leaving, and being alone. Just a story to feel less alone and better about myself. Nothing more. "

However, Syvia did feel a cold sweat run down her neck. Part of her; the part she was trying to ignore, wanted him to be right, for some reason. Historical, humanity has evolved. Maybe this was the next step? Again, she shook her head. No.
@Ver @Jeremi @Josh @Rwac96 @Capri @Yun Lee @Gummi Bunnies @Crunch @Minerva @Takumi @Ottonomous Ghost @York
Flynn bristled. Just hearing a voice in his direction did it - he turned a bit too quick, looking at the source of the voice. By now, the pounding had subsided, leaving a dull pain rocking in and out the fore of his skull, like the morning after a long night of drinking, without the dryness on his tongue. Flynn was left standing between the circle and the door like a man at sea, not knowing which way to swim to. All he had to look at was this girl that had dared to approach him.

After a moment, Flynn pulled his gaze away from her and turned, rubbing his face again and nodding hastily. "I'm fine. I'm- I just need to go back to my room."

He couldn't dignify the artist with a response, though he could hear his voice. He sounded as if he knew what he did - like he knew what Flynn had just seen. That, or he was just a freak trying to play at being an edgy, controversial artist. He almost laughed because that had to be it. He was getting riled up by a soft-skinned, cowardly bastard who wouldn't pick up a gun for his country if his life depended on it. He's a freak.

Flynn was the normal one. He had to be the normal one.

The marine shook his head again and tried to move for the door, but another voice lashed on his ankles like a chain.

"... What?" Flynn asked in a whisper.

He wasn't looking at Elijah when he spoke, but he heard him - more distinctly than anyone else in the room. What he said prompted him to turn slowly to look at his fellow patient. He was talking a lot - more than he ever did at all since Flynn came here. That fragile, brittle man spoke like he knew everyone. He told it like he was there - in the dirt, on the ground, in the stench.

The stinging, warm wetness of the blood on Flynn's face, his lungs unable to pump enough air to push his body into action. The boiling mud beneath his feet. The foul air, so thick that it clogged the throat. Stepping and stumbling over bodies like they were just more rocks in the dirt. the pounding and the thunderous roaring in his ears.

Here was this brittle, fragile, soft old man telling him that all of that was good.

"... Shut up," the marine growled, turning on his feet and starting towards Elijah. "Just- just shut the hell up. You don't get to say that."

Unless anyone was stopping him, the marine moved within just a few feet of Elijah, his dull gaze now lit with cold, bitter tension. Such a large and menacing man was standing over a nigh-catatonic cripple.

"People came here to be made better. People have seen shit that- that boggles the mind. That terrifies them. And you're sitting here, acting like- like they should believe in that? Like you know what they saw? What- what I saw?"

Flynn breathed and shook his head. "You don't know me. You don't know anyone. Fuck you."

@Not a Writer @Ottonomous Ghost @Ver @Josh @Rwac96 @Anyone​
Karina gave Sylvia a cheery smile. "Oh! I have no idea...but didn't Anastasia, like, lose her memory and end up in Paris and stuff? And like...she eloped too, right?" Karina pursed her lips as she tried to remember the extent of her Romanov history. "So I guess she wouldn't keep her last name since every Romanov in my family up until me was a guy. Unless she was a lesbian, maybe? But I mean, love who you love, right?"

Though her bubbly demenor deflated as Elijah spoke. Ugh...creepy. Not because he's in a wheelchair, of course. Disabled people are just like normal people! Or are they supposed to be called handicapped, maybe? She made a mental note to call that PR guy Daddy hired about that once she can finally get out of this place. The last thing she wanted was to be cancelled again.

"I mean, my other self would probably be, like, really happy to be rich?" She at least decided to humor Elijah, giving him a polite smile despite her unease at the flaring tensions in the room. "Karin - that was her name - she was always so...so angry. She was just such a bitch about, like, everything." As she said the next part, Karina's hand instinctively moved to her stomach. "She was always so hungry, too..."

But the sudden move from Flynn snapped her out of her reflection. "Um, h-hey! Maybe let's, um, not?"

@Josh @Ver @Crunch @Everyone​
c325c46cbeaf50f6d0e106e430e4cbd64adb3477.png

"!!"

Hagusa himself had tuned out most of the conversation floating g around d him. There were too many people and conversations going on that he wanted no part of, though Flynn's sudden movement, which caused his chair to loudly hit the group caused the young man to flinch before tensing.

Eyes snapping to Elijah as he spoke, his words setting something deep in Hagusa's gut boiling.

"Yuki got locked in a closet, twice, as punishment from a shit dad and then an asshole of a brother. How is that fine?" He snapped, the words coming out at a low hiss, not aware of the slight slip. Though Flynn moving to stand over Elijah...it put him on edge, moreso than he already was, his fingers twitching as the tensions in the room quickly began to rise. Though Karina was quick in trying to defuse the situation, Hagusa could see where Flynn was coming from on one hand. On the other...the way things were playing out made the boy's anxiety spike. Flynn's large frame standing over Elijah reminded him of--

Taking a shaky breath to try and calm his nerves, his fists clenched and unclenched a moment. The boiling anger had subsided for now. Now that the fire was gone as quick as it came, he didn't even know what to do but he watched Flynn wearily as he shifted his stance as if he were going to try and stand between the two men almost on instinct.

@Ver @Crunch @Yun Lee @Everyone
There would be the shattering of ceramic, and the muttering of "Shoot..." as Morgan dropped the coffee mug from her hands, and it smashed against the floor. She shrugged and let out a deep sigh, putting her fingers on the bridge of her nose. "Old habits die hard, I guess."

She wouldn't look at Elijah as she spoke, instead sighing again. "Morgan, The Other Morgan, let's call her January, since that's when I was first affected. January was once brilliant, and then she was an empty shell of herself. Sure, she could fire balls of kinetic energy from herself, or control machines, but January... She was but Prey for something greater." She looked down at the spot on the floor where the shattered ceramic mug pieces lay. "something that only devoured, and was incredibly ancient."

"She was being hunted by a god damn Nightmare." She crossed her arms and let out a deep sigh. "I don't aspire to be, quote-unquote normal. As I said, I want to dream big. My problem was that I was dreaming too big that it became uncontrollable."

Shaking her head in a disgusted manner, she got down on her knees and started picking up the large chunks of the mug into her hands to throw away. "I want to shake things up, like I did before I met January."

@Anyone, I guess?
Eno Liberi
@Jeremi @Josh @Rwac96 @Capri @Yun Lee @Not a Writer @Gummi Bunnies @Crunch @Minerva @Takumi @Ottonomous Ghost @Ver @Everyone

Elijah's words got to him... Alot more than Eno himself had expected.

For a brief moment, he could feel a familiar, terrible pain coursing through is body. Like it was being pierced by thousands of needles, especially in his throat, resulting in this constant, never ending soreness. It made singing virtually impossible.

Then, he shook his head, gritting his teeth as he desperately fought to remain sane, as far as he knew.

"You... You're wrong, Elijah. It's better now that I've recovered. I... Know it." Eno said, quietly at first, fighting back the pain racking his body until it faded away once more.

He was just imagining it, it was all in his head. It had to be...

"Being Mephisto... Hurts. Those delusions all... Hurt... Knowing I'm not able to sing, unless I become a monster. Knowing how close I came to hurting everyone around me. So much that... I'm sure if Mephisto could see me now, he'd be... Happy. Happy I'm no longer hurting, happy I'm learning to sing as I am." He tried to smile, but it wavered a little.

Something about what he just said, though it felt right in his heart, was... Wrong to him somehow. He couldn't quite put it into words, much less understand exactly why.

In the end, he couldn't help but ask Elijah one more question, calming himself first before he spoke.

"How about you, then? What does... 'Mr. Glass' think of all of this? How did he end up in that wheelchair, if it wasn't a fall that happened twenty years ago?"

As if to rationalize his own treatment, and rehabilitation, he tried to turn the very techniques that had been employed to rehabilitate him on Elijah.

Though he couldn't quite understand why, he felt this need to justify himself.​

[I'm already everything but ordinary,] Michelle signed at Elijah. [The fact of the matter is that I don't have to make myself more special than I already am. Besides thinking I am a Greek God? That's pretty out there for delusions.] Though having signed that she lowered her hands hesitantly. A memory of one of her races. She had dominated the field even more than usual. Speed lines had appeared and on the horizon, a massive figure had loomed before vanishing as she reached the finish line.

She shouldn't ask this...she had been doing so well but. [What would our others think?]

@Ver @Everyone

@Ver @Capri @everyone

"..."

"Oh, Jesus--"

View attachment 10763

Right?

ERIN NATICK
@Ver @EveryoneElse

Khada was almost blown away by Elijah's flood of sudden words. He was excited at first, but as his brain began processing the actual words themselves, he scoffed and nodded in agreeance to Erin's statement. "Likewise. It's rather brash of you to assume that I had gone along with this program as if I was some puppet in someone else's performance. I have been cured, not 'normalized.' It took years to grow out of the character I was dead set on playing. My passion was so powerful, I almost became a slave to it. This place saved me from that madness and set me up to succeed. How could I become a world-renowned artist if I'm behind bars, wasting away, and undone by my own work? Ridiculous. The idea that I would make art out of--" The words caught in his throat as images of bodies briefly flashed in his mind. Bodies that were... made beautiful? His eyes suddenly looked to the side and down to the ground, a scowl forming on his face. Why did he felt like he was speaking a monologue that wasn't his own? He coughed. "No, that's absurd."

@Ver @Capri @everyone

Khada was almost blown away by Elijah's flood of sudden words. He was excited at first, but as his brain began processing the actual words themselves, he scoffed and nodded in agreeance to Erin's statement. "Likewise. It's rather brash of you to assume that I had gone along with this program as if I was some puppet in someone else's performance. I have been cured, not 'normalized.' It took years to grow out of the character I was dead set on playing. My passion was so powerful, I almost became a slave to it. This place saved me from that madness and set me up to succeed. How could I become a world-renowned artist if I'm behind bars, wasting away, and undone by my own work? Ridiculous. The idea that I would make art out of--" The words caught in his throat as images of bodies briefly flashed in his mind. Bodies that were... made beautiful? His eyes suddenly looked to the side and down to the ground, a scowl forming on his face. Why did he felt like he was speaking a monologue that wasn't his own? He coughed. "No, that's absurd."

Morgan made her way towards the trash can to throw away the shards of ceramic from the mug. She turned her head to respond. "What you're saying is that you're certainly not Richard Upton Pickman." She said, dusting her hands off over the trashcan. She tore off several paper towels and started pressing them against her shirt, where some coffee had spilled. She vocalized a sound of disgust.

"It's understandable. You desire to reach the beauty of Aphrodite and Apollo, rather than what you feel is some grotesque mockery."​

@Ver @Minerva @everyone

Morgan made her way towards the trash can to throw away the shards of ceramic from the mug. She turned her head to respond. "What you're saying is that you're certainly not Richard Upton Pickman." She said, dusting her hands off over the trashcan. She tore off several paper towels and started pressing them against her shirt, where some coffee had spilled. She vocalized a sound of disgust.

"It's understandable. You desire to reach the beauty of Aphrodite and Apollo, rather than what you feel is some grotesque mockery."​
Khada nodded at Morgan, impressed. She understood exactly what he was saying, and not only that, but her taste in literature was admirable. He opened his mouth to speak. "Corr--ect..." he replied, his voice breaking for a split second like a lagging computer.

He pondered the two words. Beauty and grotesqueness. These two concepts stood in contrast with each other. He felt a mind worm echo in his head, distracting him from observing the room like he had before, his inspiration becoming internal instead of external. He sighed and leaned his head onto his palm.

How can you comprehend beauty without first understanding ugliness? The essence of a thing is found only in its absence.

He felt like playing the violin again. Why did he even stop in the first place?​

As everyone in the circle began to converse among themselves, discussing the validity of Elijah's words, Clark was silent; thinking to himself. Doctor Staple mentioned that the man imagined himself as a supervillain named 'Mister Glass', people who this 'Superman' stopped. The journalist rubs his face, as he begins to pace around in a small circle. On one hand, he wanted to get better; return to his job, if possible and return to his loved ones. Doubting himself being human was a response to his longing of asking who he was, as the doctors theorized.

But on the other hand, something begins to nag in his mind. Even if Elijah was speaking the truth, even if he was this villain, why would he inform them that they were being manipulated? Clark stops pacing, looking down with his brows furrowed. Superman, who he believed he was, wouldn't pressure anyone into doing something they wouldn't want to do; even when it endangers their well-being. But Superman wouldn't let anyone get taken advantage of.

Superman...he...

View attachment 10776

He helps people.

"He saves them," Clark spoke up, lifting his head up as if he was given an epiphany.

@Ver @Josh @Not a Writer @Jeremi @Capri @Minerva @York @Ottonomous Ghost @Yun Lee @Crunch @Minerva @Takumi

ERIN NATICK
@Ver @Rwac96 @EveryoneElse
As everyone in the circle began to converse among themselves, discussing the validity of Elijah's words, Clark was silent; thinking to himself. Doctor Staple mentioned that the man imagined himself as a supervillain named 'Mister Glass', people who this 'Superman' stopped. The journalist rubs his face, as he begins to pace around in a small circle. On one hand, he wanted to get better; return to his job, if possible and return to his loved ones. Doubting himself being human was a response to his longing of asking who he was, as the doctors theorized.

But on the other hand, something begins to nag in his mind. Even if Elijah was speaking the truth, even if he was this villain, why would he inform them that they were being manipulated? Clark stops pacing, looking down with his brows furrowed. Superman, who he believed he was, wouldn't pressure anyone into doing something they wouldn't want to do; even when it endangers their well-being. But Superman wouldn't let anyone get taken advantage of.

Superman...he...

View attachment 10776

He helps people.

"He saves them," Clark spoke up, lifting his head up as if he was given an epiphany.
"Who saves who?" Erin inquires, "If you’re talking about your other self, maybe we should call Dr. Staple?"

"Who saves who?" Erin, "If you’re talking about you’re other self, maybe we should call Dr. Staple?"

Turning his attention to Erin, Clark clears his throat and pushes his glasses back up against his face. "We shouldn't interrupt her," he says with a slight shake of his head. "and besides, I'm simply...pondering over it. Plus, I...I suspect there's something off with my memory. Like, how long I've been here."

@Ver @Capri @Everyone​

Last edited:
ERIN NATICK
@Ver @Rwac96 @EveryoneElse

"Mr. Price identifies as male last I checked, Mr. Kent," Erin said, "Besides…"

Erin takes off her shoes before twirling like a ballerina, ending with her feet on pointe.

"I certainly don’t feel anything wrong with my memory,"

Erin does another ballet twirl before sitting in her chair once again.​

Back