Chronicles of The Omniverse Archived Lornaine Forest

Tiko

Draconic Administrator/Mentor
Administrator
Mentor
Nexus GM
as written by Knosis and Tiko

Re'Altarm didn't stop until she nearly collapsed. The only times she had slowed down in her escape from the city was when the direction got confusion again, in which case Jesse had led her the right direction out of the city. She sucked in huge gulps of air as she slowed to a walk. Her right shoulder burned, and her legs shook from exertion. And oh, did her head ache, but at least she was away from all the confusion, the loud noise, blinding lights and strange smells of the city.

The forest around her was teeming with life and far from quiet, but it was peaceful and one could actually think out here. And one thought led to Jesse. Spinning around to see if the tiny wolf had kept up, she began to whimper that she had forgotten him so soon.

____

Jesse had long lost Re'Altarm in the woods when he had been forced to give up the chase as the fire of exhaustion burned up his legs, leaving him panting profusely. He tried to follow at a slower pace, picking up her trail as he went, but he wasn't the best tracker around, and he kept getting himself turned around.

Finally he threw his head back and let out a long keening howl before he waited with one ear cocked, praying she would respond in kind to give him a bearing on her direction.

____

Long whining whimpers escaped her throat as she paced around in a circle, lost. When Jesse did not show up after she had regained her breath, she started to try to retrace her mindless dash through the woods but at a much slower pace. Anxiety built up in her, and the nervousness of being alone in the woods gripped her tight, but her legs were tired and would no longer go any faster than a slow trot.

The howl shot through the night air from a distance. Ears perked at the sound of the howl and instinct drove home. She started walking slowly in the general direction of the howl before raising her head to give a long, low howl back, silencing the night creatures in her general area. Hopefully, it was Jesse.

____

Jesse smelled her before he saw her and his pace picked up to an slow lope as he broke through the underbrush and into Re'Altarm's path. The relief that washed over him was immediate as he approached her and butted his head up against her shoulder to express his happiness in having found her.

With the immediate danger past he lay down on the damp earth before flopping over on his side.

He hadn't run so hard, or so far in his life, and for the moment, he didn't want to do much else but lay sprawled there on the cool forest floor.

____

Re'Altarm watched him and tilted her head to the side slightly. A low deep rumble escaped her throat and sounded somewhat like a chuckle and her lips curled back as if she were trying to smile, which only made her look more like something from a horror film.

Her legs had finally decided they were tired of holding her weight and she thumped on her belly before crawling over where Jesse was, laying a massive leg across his belly.

But as weary as her body was, her mind was wide awake. Sounds were clearer now than they had been, and the smells always caught her attention. Watching her was like watching a puppy learning of the world around it for the first time.

____

Jesse woke to the sunbeams filtering down through the canopy overhead and he squinted against the light as he threw an arm over his eyes. They had fallen asleep sometime during the night, and slept well into late morning. He felt the weight of her arm on his stomach and he awkwardly removed it and lay it gently back at her side as he sat up.

His hair was standing in all directions, and bits of leaves and twigs where sticking out of it.

That was the least of his concerns though as the fog of sleep was beginning to fade in the wake of the realization that both he, and Re'Altarm where out in the middle of woods without a stitch of clothes on.

He looked around for anything of use, and finally settled for dropping a handful of dead leaves onto his lap. After everything Re'Altarm had been through, the last thing she needed was to wake up to a naked man sitting next to her.

"Hey, Re?" he asked.

He touched her shoulder lightly to try and rouse her.

____

Blinking and groaning, she covered her eyes with her arm and flipped over on her back, laying spread eagle on the ground. The night before was a blur. Her muscles ached from the nights exertion.

"Mmm.." She muttered. "Morning.." She said, looking over with a gentle smile. However that smile faded as soon as she realize that Jesse was at least partly naked, and quickly looking down at herself, she realized she was too. Gasping, she bolted up straight and wrapped her arms about herself and folded her legs underneath. A bright red blush formed on her cheeks.

"Well.. This is interesting.." She muttered, obviously shameful at her nakedness. This would be the part she would have to get use to. "Where are we..?"

____

"Uh... in the woods?" he answered sheepishly.

He didn't have much better of an idea than she did. They had been running blindly, and he had no sense of direction about him even under the best of circumstances.

"What do you uh... remember from last night?" he asked.

He scratched at his head, dislodging twigs with the movement before trying to pick bits of leaves out. This was his first time waking up in the middle of the woods, and he decided he much preferred his bed.

____

Her brows furrowed slightly, trying to recall much of anything from the night before. "Mostly I can recall how I felt through the blur.. Though.. I remember an accident.." She murmured, biting her lip. "My fault.." She muttered quietly. "I remember.. Fear and confusion and frustration.. I just wanted everyone to leave me alone or to get away.." She murmured. "I remember running and finding you.. But that's about it.."

"I hope I didn't hurt anyone.. I can't recall..." She began to mimic him and started to pull leaves out of her own hair. "But.. It felt like I was finally awake after being sick and asleep so long.." She murmured. "And it was wonderful.."

____

"The cops showed up at the bar last night," Jesse explained. "We couldn't stop them from taking you and you shifted in the back of the ambulance on the way to the hospital. It wasn't your fault."

He moved his head to get a look into her eyes.

"You hear me? It wasn't your fault," he added with a weight of conviction. "Nothing that happened last night was."

He could only hope none of the victims in the car accident had been fatally injured so she wouldn't need to live with that over her head.

"You did the right thing, you got away. You'll get a better reign on your new senses and instincts soon, but until then everything's going to be new and overwhelming. But it's not all bad, some of it's kind of awesome really," he added with a quirky grin.

"Though I don't usually recommend sleeping in the woods."

____

"So that's what happened.. I couldn't remember why I was in the middle of the street.." She murmured. "But I guess that makes sense.." However, she didn't seem convinced by Jesse's words that the accident wasn't her fault. She sighed softly, and laid her chin on the top of her knees, a worry line showing up between her brows.

He could see the mountain of 'what if's' running through her mind as if she were saying them out loud. Still, at his last comment, she managed a faint smile for him. "I've slept in the woods before.. That doesn't bother me.." She said, chuckling slightly. "Sleeping with no clothes on in the middle of no where, well.. I kind of feel a bit exposed.."

She sighed again and stood up, dusting off the leaves and dirt off herself. It would seem most of her right arm was healed, though a sharp red scar puckered the skin over her shoulder and was still very fresh. "Well.." She looked up at the sky. "I think it's close to noon.. Though it's hard to say.." She saw the trail of paw prints and pointed. "Better indication where to go than any.. And we might as well face the fact, we're gonna have to sneak in some how, bare skinned.." Her stomach made the most horrific sound as it growled to let her know how much she had eaten in the days to come before her turning. Her blush turned darker.

____

"That's normal. After my first shift, I woke up hungry enough to eat a horse. It takes a lot out of you," he explained.

He was famished himself. Their metabolism burned hot, and they needed the food to fuel it. Though where they where going to find food out here was beyond him. He supposed their best bet was to find their way back to the city.

"I suppose waiting here to be found isn't the most likely of options," he said as he joined Re'Altarm and getting up.

He offered another sheepish grin at their predicament.

He wanted to ask her more about herself, and what brought her to Lutetia, but the last time he had broached the subject she had been evasive. He settled instead for an inquiry about the now.

"So, what are you planning to do now? Well.. not now now, but you know, after we find the city?" he asked.

____

"Well.. I don't know.." She answered honestly. "Not like I had a lot going for me before, eating off the streets.." She said turning to Jesse to gaze at him with her honey colored eyes. "I was.. Kind of hoping your pack would accept me in.. But hearing all the problems I may have caused, I don't know if your leader would consider it. I seem to be bad luck." She laughed sheepishly.

"But.." Her eyes grew darker and she looked down at the ground. "I am alive.." She murmured. "And I swore if I lived I would make sure that monster wouldn't harm any others.. So, I have a werewolf to kill.."

A growl escaped her throat at the thought, baring her teeth at the memory.

____

"Hey, Baron will know that none of this was your fault. You didn't ask for any of it, nor did you murder a guy in our alley hours before your first shift," Jesse reassured her. "And hey, haven't you ever watched Never Cry Wolf? There's no orphans among wolves? We'll get you back on your feet. You can ever crash at my place until we figure something out."

Re'Altarms intents to go after the werewolf that had bitten her where somewhat unsettling, but the growl in her throat spoke of an intensity that mere words wouldn't discourage. It was a topic that would need to be broached careful. For now he tried to keep matters light.

____

Re'Altarm shook her head, shaking off the memories and the hatred it bared. "Sorry.." She muttered.

"I've never watched a movie, honestly.. Can't see or own something you can't afford..." She gave an uneasy laugh. "Anyway.. I'm starving... And as cute as you are, I think we're seeing way too much of each other, way too soon.." She grinned teasingly as if it didn't bother her, though her blush gave her away.

Walking over to Jesse, she leaned over and kissed his cheek gently. "Thank you.." She murmured. Turning away swiftly after, she started following down the small signs of their travel through the woods the night before, only stopping to see if Jesse was coming.

____

"You get used to it," Jesse answered sheepishly as he followed after her.

Truthfully he was still getting used to it himself, but it more or less came with the territory.

"And seriously? You've never seen a movie? Not one?" he asked.

Having grown up in a wealthier part of Lutetia, Jesse found the thought nearly alien and incomprehensible that someone might not have seen or done things that he took for outright granted.

"Well, I know what I'm making you do when we get back to the city. How about books? Have you read any books?"

____

"Not a single one.." She said sheepishly.

"Only books that were tossed out.. Most of them were partly destroyed though. And some I don't know the names of because the cover and title page were ripped off.." She said. "But yeah, I've read a few at night when it wasn't raining. I've also spent the night in a few libraries, and those nights were bliss.." She smiled fondly.

"You see, where I came from, we weren't exactly rich.. And were always laden with war.." She frowned. "So when I finally had a chance to get away, I did.. But.." She bit her lip. "Let's just say I wasn't suppose to leave..." She murmured.

____

"Well, what other sort of things did you do recreationally?" he asked.

He hop, skipped, and winced his way along as he tried to avoid stepping on sharp twigs, rocks, and other unpleasant things with his bare feet. Between that, and the underbrush slapping at him every step of the way, it was going to be a long day.

____

"I don't think you really wanna know." She said, looking back at him struggling. She frowned. "If I could shift again, I would carry you if I could.. Would be easier on you and faster in the long run."

The rough travel hadn't really phased her that much. The sticks, she had mostly avoided, but she had been barefooted most of her life. The calluses that had built up over the years protected most of the sensitive bits of her feet. But Jesse was from the more wealthy part of the city. He had never had to deal with this type of abuse.

"Then again.. It could be possible that I shift and I eat you I guess."

____

"Most newly changed can't shift at will, not initially. It took me a few months before I got the hang of it," Jesse answered. "And I still have trouble shifting back after. Probably not a good idea to try it anyways until we have some food in us. Especially you."

He winced again.

"Besides, this isn't so bad... getting closer to nature, right?" he asked with a quirky grin. "How far out do you suppose we ran?"

____

"I couldn't really say.. I just.. Ran as far as my legs could carry.. As far as I could from the intersection.." She murmured. "Considering I can't hear traffic.. Pretty far." She murmured.

She winced. "But if you get any closer to nature, you may be nothing but a baked wolf by the end of it..." Her stomach growled again. "Yes yes, I hear you.. I'm working on it.."

____

Jesse grinned at that. "Is it that obvious I don't get out of the city much?" he asked.

Overhead the sky was growing overcast as they picked their way through the woods. Even he could smell the approaching rain, and he knew full well that wouldn't bode well for Re'Altarm's tracking if the approaching storm caught up with them before they made the city.

"Where did you learn to track?" he asked.

____

The girl bit her lip. She hated delving into her past. She was poor now and had nothing, but that was a whole lot better than what she had back then.

"I was trained to do so." She answered. "I tend to see things that that people wouldn't normally notice. Made me useful when tracking out enemies or scouting ahead of the group." She murmured.

She shivered lightly and looked up to the sky as the breeze picked up. "Well.. This is going to get interesting..." She whispered to herself.

Last edited by a moderator:
as written by Tiko and Knosis

"Uh... interesting in a good way, or a bad way?" Jesse asked, trying to keep the mood light.

It was an awkward shift in their dynamic. For the past three weeks he had been taking care of her, now it would seem that the tables had turned. There was a strength and independence to the woman that he had only seen glimpses of up until now, and he found himself watching her as he trailed along behind her.

____

"Interesting as I'm going to lose the trail if this is heavier than a drizzle.." She sighed.

"And it isn't going to be just a drizzle.. So we're going to be caught in the middle of it.. In our Sunday's best, with not a lot of shelter or indication where to find any.."

She looked at Jesse, her honey colored eyes full of concern. "It may not bother me so much, but I'm use to it..."

____

"Hey don't worry about me any. Worst case I spend the night with fur, wouldn't be the first time," he jested. "One time, I shit you not, I spent two weeks in the pound before I managed to shift back. There was this lady that would do the morning rounds, and let me tell you... it took me an hour to convince her I wasn't some nutjob with a fetish for dogs who broke in. She had the police on the line at least once." He grinned sheepishly. "That's how I met Baron actually... long story."

____

The girl raised a brow and smiled. "Sounds like an interesting story." She admitted. 'A lot more than mine..' She thought to herself.

"I don't remember if Baron ever came down to meet me.. If he did, it was right before.." She cut off.

"So can you tell me about him?"

____

"Well ah..." Jesse rubbed at the back of his neck, not really sure how to answer that. "He's a bit rough around the edges, but not so bad when you get to know him. Some of the packs around the city get pretty bad. Rape, murder, prostitution, drugs, vandalism, robbery... All it takes is a bad Pack Leader, and the pack instinct does the rest. Not everything in the media is wrong. But Baron's not like that, and he keeps the pack clean."

____

She folded her arms across her chest, shivering again. "I think that is just animal instinct.. Even in humans, if their leader is corrupt, then any of the followers are just as bad.. It works better with multiple generations, as that is what they were taught from the elders and what is considered out of the norm for others, will be perfectly normal for them." She said.

"Whole countries grow up hating each other, generations of war and turmoil are fought yet there is no one alive that remembers exactly what started that fight. And it was simply because two leaders said to fight."

"So werewolves are not that much different from humans in terms of that anyway..." She murmured.

____

"No, I imagine we aren't," Jesse replied.

He was quiet for a moment as his eyes studied her. It was plain to see that there was something very personal in her words, but it was also plain to see that she got uncomfortable anytime he broached the topic of her past.

He finally left to her privacy as he didn't voice the questions that lingered on his mind.

"The media likes to forget to mention that humans commit all those crimes against each other just the same as werewolves do," he said. "We're just a bit more susceptible to being influenced by that pack mentality. What's a subconscious yearning for them... we can see and feel as something tangible. You'll feel it too when you run with the pack for the first time. It's like an energy that just washes over you, and the wolf almost has a mind of its own. Those instincts can be very raw and overwhelming at first. I don't like to think what might have happened if I had fallen in with a bad pack before I had a reign on it all."

____

She didn't want to think further on that subject either. "Well.. I don't think you'd be willing to help me if you had gotten into another pack.. So I'm thankful for that." She smiled.

Still she bit her lip. "I know you have questions.." She said. "I owe you answers." Sighing, she gazed at him from over her shoulder. "How about you ask your questions, and if I feel as though I can answer them now, I will.. Sound fair? Mmm.. My past is not a happy subject, but you have a right to know. And I feel as though I can trust you." She said quietly. "But.. Promise me you won't tell anyone else?"

____

"Hey now," Jesse said as he stumbled over a tree root. "Mmmf," he uttered befor he regained his footing and caught up with her. "You don't owe me a thing, and I don't want you thinking othewise, alright?" he asked. "I am curious about your past, but when you tell me about it... I want you to tell it because you want to, not because you feel like you owe me something."

He slapped at the back of his neck as a pesky mosquito bit him before waving at a horsefly that was beginning to irritate him with its buzzing around his head.

He was so absorbed in swatting at the insect that he didn't catch the branch that slapped him in the face until he was spitting leaves out.

"Let's just you know... enjoy nature for a while, eh?" he asked with a wry grin.

Re'Altarm had been right about the lack of shelter and by the time the skies opened up, the only protection they had managed from the rainstorm was a thick stand of trees. The thick canopy and overhanging branches broke up the downpour, but only marginally. Both of them had become thoroughly soaked before long.

Fortunately the summer heat kept any chill from setting in, but food had yet to present itself and the pangs of hunger ate at Jesse's stomach while the pair huddled there beneath the trees. The only saving grace of it all was that the rain had driven the bugs away... at least for now.

"So, uh... do this often?" he asked.

It was a silly question, but he was fast discovering that sitting naked and muddy under a tree in the middle of a rainstorm didn't lend itself for meaningful dialogue.

____

The girl was huddled close to a tree, her eyes focused on a rock that was sitting in the underbrush dead in front of her. It seemed to be her way of coping with the rain. It was only when Jesse spoke up did she seem to wake up from her dream-like state.

Blinking and turning her gaze to the boy, it seemed to take her a minute to remember who he was. "Er.." She said, looking up into the clouds. "Actually, yes.." She murmured, seeming ashamed. "Its easier if you just focus on something else for a while..." She sighed.

A moment later, she looked harrowed. "In my home land, it hardly ever rains.. And when it does, it floods the lands and wipes everything away.. So we try to seek shelter from high lands.. But your lands are really flat." She narrowed her eyes at him. "And it rains a lot here, so the ground drinks it up faster." Her stomach growled, and she groaned. "That's it.." She muttered and started to brush around on the ground, searching for bugs.

____

"What are you looking for?" Jesse asked.

"Its raining pretty heavily.. Meaning there are some bugs or earth worms that come to the surface so they don't drown out.." She muttered quietly. "They aren't the most filling, but.." She cut off, leaving it to the boy's imagination of what she was planning on doing. At this point, she didn't care. Bugs were something, and better than the nothing they had in their guts now.

"Worms?" he asked.

Ugh.

He wasn't near hungry enough to resort to that he determined. Though... given a day or two, that might well change. For now though, the thought of eating worms remained pointedly stomach churning.

"I think I'll pass," he said with a low chuckle. "You'd think there would be berries or nuts around here somewhere."

Of course, it didn't help that they where out of season for such things, a fact that the less woodland savvy of the pair didn't know.

"Only if the creatures have buried the nuts, and no berries.. You don't have to eat anything, but I need -something-." She murmured.

She looked up apologetically to Jesse. "Another one of those things you learn not to turn your nose at when you're poor.." She murmured. She wouldn't have been looking for bugs either, if she had eaten anything in the days before her first shift. But since she had an empty stomach before the shift, it was near painful now.

Still, no luck on the bugs. So she plucked up a small round stone and began to suck on it some with a sigh.

Jesse felt a pang of guilt in him for the things had, that this woman had never experienced. He wasn't overly well off given his current state of employment and school loans that he was still trying to pay off, but he got by comfortably enough.

"When we get back, I'm going to show you a whole different side to living, alright?" he asked.

He folded his arms behind his head and leaned back against the trunk of a tree.

"I think you'll like the city," he told her. "I'll show you around it, and no more bug eating. Unless it's that new restaurant over in Lemeux that sells them as cuisine..."

____

Re winced slightly. "You don't have to do that, Jesse.. I already feel like I owe you my life.." She grinned sheepishly at him before taking a seat beside him. She gently leaned against him with a sigh.

"My life was already better than it was before I was bitten. And now I have met you and my life is.. Well, now it's going to be interesting. But I guess in a good way?"

She bit her lip. "See.. My homeland was torn apart by war and drugs. I was 10 when I first held a gun and was told to point it at the enemy and pull the trigger.. Was told to do it or they would kill my sister." Her eyes grew dark. "I did for several years. I scouted for them to find men and women alike, innocent or guilty for the people I worked for, just to keep me and my sister alive.. And well.. They didn't keep their end of the deal. So.. I AWOL'd." She murmured. She was silent for a long few minutes after that, memories replaying in her head. She gasped and blinked, as if coming back to the present.

"Ended up in Lutetia, and didn't care I was dirt poor. It helped me to forget when I was constantly looking for ways for food." She laughed sheepishly.

"I guess what I'm saying is, my life now, no matter how bad it may seem.. Is much better than what I've come from. Please don't feel like I'm without just because I've never sat down and watched a movie or eaten food that didn't come the freshest anyway.." She looked him in the eyes. "Don't feel sorry for me, and don't feel like you have to something special. Because just being here now with you, sitting in the rain is a blessing I never thought I'd have.." She blinked. "Sorry, that sounded weird.."

____

"It's not like that," Jesse answered. "I didn't mean to imply there was anything wrong with how you've lived," he tried to explain sheepishly.

"It's just... I mean if there's something you haven't done before, you should do it at least once right? Besides. I want to show you around the city. It'll be fun for both of us."

Overhead the rain was starting to lighten up and the storm that had overtaken them seemed to be moving on as quickly as it had arrived. The rain still fell, but it was more of a light drizzle instead of a torrential downpour that it had been initially.

The next day...

Rei's mood growing irritable as the hunger gnawed on her. She was light headed by this point and every chance she had to catch a bug or something, she did and ate it, probably to much of the disgust to Jesse.

But now, she seemed to look hopelessly at the sky, at the ground, and occasionally to Jesse. "I have no clue where we are.. I'm pretty sure we're going in circles.." She said in a doomed tone of voice.

____

Jesse wasn't fairing much better. His stomach was twisted up in hunger something fierce.

"Maybe I should go ahead and shift," he suggested. "Maybe I can pick up a scent or something."

He wasn't much use as a tracker, but the wolves sense of smell and hearing where still far superior to that of a humans.

____

Rei winced, but they may not have any other option. She knew by this point Jesse was starving as well, and shifting would only make that worse. But what other choice did they have?

"If you feel like you can.." She started to say. She whirled around, immediately becoming defensive and baring teeth.

A stick cracked behind them and a man walked up in nothing but a pair of jeans. He had a distinct air about him, as if he were gracing Jesse and Rei with his presence. Scars marked his torso in white lines and he had a confident smirk on his face that Rei just wanted to punch off him. "Well well well.. What do we have here..?" He asked. "You two seem a bit lost.. What do you think, fellas?"

____

Jesse recognized Rowan immediately. He put an arm out in front of Re'Altarm, protectively to shield her.

"Re, get out of here," he told her.

His own eyes locked on Rowan's, and Re'Altarm could almost see the wolf in him bristle. Up until now, Jesse hadn't displayed any hint of the more aggressive side of pack life, but Rowan had him on the defensive, and he was clearly agitated. Perhaps even afraid.

as written by Script, Sentry, Knosis, and Tiko

Similarly dressed, another figure stepped out from the trees behind Rowan. Jason took in Jesse's defensive reaction and let out a sharp, mocking laugh. "Cool your jets, pup. We both know you've not got the bite to back up your little white knight act." he said, smirking.

"What are you doing in this neck of the woods?" He gave Jesse's mud-coated body the once over, raising an eyebrow. "Naturist camping trip, maybe?"

____

"Heh, c'mon, guys. Only one real answer for a naked couple to be in the woods," chimed another, showing up behind Jessie and Re'Altarm.

He was a younger, scrawnier lad than the other two men who'd shown up, but he had a rough look about him. One that said he wasn't some pushover. A cigarette hung out the corner of his lip, which he proceeded to light. Though he'd opted for a jacket, the only other thing he wore were a pair of torn jeans.

"Good t'seeya. How's m'brother been?" he remarked, smirking with the cigarette between his teeth. "Pussyin' around with your bunch still?"

____

Rei was about to turn and drag Jesse with her, but then she was faced with Felix now. They had no where to run. She bared her teeth, a silent growl at the scrawnier man.

Rowan slowly stepped forward. "Nah, I don't think this pup's had 'is balls drop yet to get into that kind of mischief, Felix." He chuckled deeply. "Though I wouldn't blame him for wanting to show the girl a good time.." He appraised her with a slow glance. Rei scowled and turned to glare daggers at Rowan.

Rowan turned his attention back to Jesse. "You're one of Baron's pack of dogs, aren't ya? Jesse is it?" He grinned slightly.

____

"What do you want with us," Jesse demanded.

His posture was guarded and his eyes shifting from one to the other, ignoring their questions. He could tell well enough that the lot of them where razzing him and Re'Altarm, and not a one actually cared about the answer to their inquiries.

____

"Why's it gotta be that we want something, Jesse?" Jason chuckled, "We were just passing through when we stumbled across you and your little lady's trail. We're as surprised as you are to find you out here."

He stroked his chin for a moment, "But it's a good question. Whaddyou think we could get outta this happy little accident, guys? I'm sure we can think of something."

____

"Aw, man. Such a hard decision, Jason." Felix shook his head and sighed in mock confliction. He even rose his arms up in a phony shrug. "What's on your mind, boss?" He lifted his chin with a smirk toward Rowan. "You got a pretty vivid imagination f'dese tings, right?"

____

Rei glared at Rowan as he slowly approached the two. She swore at him in her native tongue. "I don't think that's necessary." He chuckled. "You're probably gonna be doing that to all the guys back home." He stared at her thoughtfully and then to Jesse. It took him a long while, but his grin widened.

"I think we should take what we find and put it to good use, don't you think? The good 'ole doctor here can't refuse us his services if he owes us his and his doll's life. They look rather haggered, and though feisty as she is.. I don't think they'll last wandering around in circles much longer. Would be a shame to just let them waste away out here."

"Grab 'em. We're taking them home, boys."

Rei growled and took a defensive stance, getting ready to defend Jesse if need be.

____

"Whatever you say, boss man." Jason said with a smirk, "Someone grab the chick. I've got Doc Tiny here covered."

He stepped forwards, roughly shoving Rei aside to grab at Jesse. "Don't make this hard on yourself. Play along, and I won't have to get mean."

____

Felix moved in as well, cracking his knuckles before he reached over for Rei's arm. "C'mon, pretty girl. We ain't gonna hurtcha," he grinned. "Promise."

____

Shoved away from Jesse by Jason, and she had to catch her balance before Rei dipped from Felix. She leaned back to bring a kick around, her heel aiming for Felix's chest. She hoped Jesse could hold his own.

Rowan stood back, observing the two with a slight smirk. Rei couldn't keep up a fight for long, not in this state. Even if she had hit Felix, it would most likely only make him stumble slightly.

____

Jesse was no fighter, but as Re'Altarm made a go for Felix, he was pushed into action himself. He threw the punch for Jason's jaw, twisting his whole body into it.

The punch caught Jason square in the face, and stopped him in his tracks - if only for a moment - but he didn't release his grip on Jesse's shoulder. He slowly moved his head back, rolling his jaw. "Not a bad punch," he sneered, wiping his mouth with the back of his hand. "For a pansy like yourself, that was a good effort. Now here's how someone with balls does it."

He balled up a fist and took a breath in, the veins in his arm pulsing with light, before he delivered a swift jab to Jesse's stomach, practically lifting the smaller man off the ground with the force.

Jesse doubled over and fell to his knees, hands grasping at the dirt as he tried to suck in air with a gasping wheeze. His vision swam as his starved body flooded with adrenaline that it didn't have the resources to fuel. If not for the empty stomach, he might have retched right then and there.

Meanwhile Felix reeled back from Re'Altarm's kick, stumbling back. He grit his teeth and drew his hand back, moving forward to land a hard and swift blow to Re'Altarm's face.

Rei heard Jesse's gasping and swiveled to see if he was alright. "Jesse!" She cried, letting her guard down. Felix' blow came down hard, knocking the girl to the ground.

Meanwhile, Jason reached down and grabbed Jesse's hair, pulling him upwards violently and turning to face Re'Altarm. He tightened his fist beside Jesse's face, veins pulsing again. "Cool your jets, girl, or the next one'll break his pretty little face."

Gritting her teeth and wiping the blood from her busted lip, she glared up to Jason with hatred. "Fuck you." She growled. However, she did not move to attack again. Her world was spinning and she felt as though she was about to faint.

Deep throaty chuckles sounded from Rowan. "Right. Let's move out. Need to sneak them back into the city. Best time to do it since Baron's dogs are searchin' for that girl of their's."

Jason flashed Rei a toothy grin in response to her cursing, before nodding to Rowan. He tightened his grip on Jesse's hair and forcibly pulled him up to his feet. "On your feet, doc. And start walking." he said, jabbing him in the back to shove him forwards.

Jesse managed only two steps before he was doubled over against a tree, one hand to his stomach. He managed a few rasping breaths before he was up and moving again with Jason's less than gentle encouragement.

Eventually the group would make its way back to the city.

as written by Script

Outrunning them, as it turned out, was going to prove to be difficult.

The forest blurred past as Snow sprinted through the trees, sleek white form cutting through the foliage like a knife. He caught glimpses of other pack members to his rear; he was amongst the forerunners of the chase. Their quarry wasn't far ahead, by his reckoning. He could hear the branches breaking beneath the larger wolf's paws.

The arctic wolf's pure white coat stood out against the shadowy backdrop of the forest, far more visible in the glimmering moonlight than his darker packmates. A disadvantage in the early stages of a hunt, but now that the chase was upon them, it didn't matter. The yellow of his eyes gleamed with the thrill of it, and he let out his own howl.

____

A fair distance behind the pursuing wolves, another dark shape slipped swiftly through the shadows of the trees, with much lighter footfalls. Seri was following behind the hunt at a modest distance - slower than they were in a straight line dash, but not so slow as to be left entirely in their dust. An out-and-out chase wasn't his style. But he wanted to be there when they caught him. He wanted to see it done.

The werecat bounded through the woods like a moving shadow, only the gold of his eyes visible distinct from his pitch black fur.

as written by Moonscar

Hubert wasn't the most agile of them, but his bulk helped him pick up speed in a straight path. He barreled through the forest like a freight train, the ground rumbling beneath his paws.

As a werewolf, he was particularly huge. Though more wolf than man, he could stand on his hind legs for brief amounts of time. There were still traces of the human there, but the first thing anyone could see was a giant beast, bulky with layers of both muscle and fat.

Ulrich, on the other hand, was wiry and swift. Though not small, he certainly didn't boast Hubert's or Baron's largeness. But he was precise. His reflexes were sharp. Though there were certain people there he wasn't exactly excited to see, the hunt thrilled him enough to forget it.

as written by Lorelia

No howl or growl of hunger nor of triumph escaped from Cass. She took little pleasure in what was happening.

When they’d picked up the scent, Cass had felt a surge of sudden, somewhat surprising emotion. Even as she ran now, racing to keep near the head despite her body’s objections after being so poorly looked after – this past month especially; she couldn’t stop thinking. Thinking about what would happen when they all skidded to halts and confronted Arman (she had no doubts about then catching him). There would be no reasoning, no prison, no psychological help.
He’d left them with no alternative.

- - -

How much good was a head start when you were so terribly broken?
Arman was limping now, falling desperately through the forest; claws and thumbs and paws, expressions which switched from rage to defeat in a manic way.
This was it.
No, not yet. There were so many more. So much more to be shared. Join us.

A steep incline presented itself and Arman hesitated only slightly before starting up. His hybrid hands grabbed at roots and his wavering legs shoved against the loose ground, trying to move himself onwards and upwards, away from what he could now hear approaching quickly.

He thought his frantic panting was certain to give him away if the chase drew even a pace closer.

The beast whose downfall was inevitable still scrambled, still pushed on, still held the tiniest shred of hope that kept him moving.
She’d left them with no alternative.

as written by Tiko

As Arman gained the height of the incline and lurched forward, he would make it only a few paces before several furred forms stepped out of the trees into his path. Their fastest runners had pushed ahead, circling around front to cut him off, and the rest of the pack was scrambling its way up the incline after him.

Their growls and panting filled the night as the circled him with snapping jaws and quick feigns to keep him spinning around, exposing his back to others.

Hunted and cornered like the animal he had become.

Baron moved forward through the ranks of his pack, and a rumbling warning growl reverberating from deep within his chest as he padded forward. He threw a warning look to his own pack members kept them at bay.

The question no doubt hung over the minds of Cass' people. Why was he calling his pack off?

as written by Script

When Arman had reached the top of the rise, it had been Snow's bright yellow eyes that he found himself staring into as the white wolf emerged from the treeline. Though he was significantly smaller than the hulking hybrid wolf, he growled menacingly with the confidence of the pack at his side and pushed forwards with the rest, feinting forwards with a bite that carried off to the side instead.

Baron's growl drew his gaze, however, and along with the others he fell back and kept his distance.

It was only a few moments later that Seri caught up with them, darting effortlessly up the hillside. He held back in the shadows, watching the circling wolves around Arman. He waited for them to close in, but they didn't. What were they waiting for? Were they toying with him?

No. They were waiting for something. He narrowed his eyes warily. What was coming?

as written by Sentry

Hubert halted after a long skid before the incline, aiming his eyes skyward. Ulrich hung back with his pack, but Hubert was clearly confused. His bulk wouldn't allow him to scale the incline with any amount of ease, but for the sake of not screwing everything up, he took a few steps back.

New to the affliction, it was a bit hard for Hubert to do. The wolf mind urged him on, itched at him.

as written by Lorelia

Arman had tried his best to get into a defensive position but he was indeed surrounded. He crouched, waiting on his hind legs, arms held at the ready. He shuffled about in a tight circle, snarling and snapping back at the werewolves.

They hung back a little. Their pack leader presented himself.
Arman had heard of the werewolf Baron, though he had never laid eyes on him. And as he did for the first time, he bared what was left of his monstrous teeth. His noises peaked when he caught sight of Cass who had been making her way around the outskirts of the group with one ear flicked backwards, confused, calculating. What were they waiting for?

She was keeping tabs on her pack, Seri and Michel, both still so young, perhaps there was still some remaining innocence. Hubert, full of light and life. What they were about to experience… she wished they didn’t have to.

Her head snapped towards Baron questioningly as time continued to tick on and the restlessness grew.

as written by Tiko

Baron swiftly shed his wolf form as his body twisted and contorted back into that of a human. He stood, eyes feral and unafraid of the ravenous beast only yards away. He was confident in his pack.

It was Cass that drew his gaze, and the look he gave her bore into her something fierce.

"He was one of yours, your responsibility," he told her icily. "You will finish it, as is the duty of any who claim the title of Pack Leader."

as written by Script

Snow remained in wolf worm, but his eyes watched Cass expectantly. If she wished to prove herself capable, as he knew that both he and many others in their pack doubted, she would do it. He wasn't sure if he thought she would, though. She seemed like a compassionate woman, but not not a pack leader. He hardly judged her for it. Not just anyone was cut out to keep a gang of half-feral wolves in line, after all. There was credit to be given for her having managed to even maintain a semblance of unity amongst the Runts.

Seri's eyes widened as he watched. So they wanted Cass to do it. He supposed it was fitting, but... Cass was strong, but she'd always been too forgiving. She'd had opportunities to kill Arman before, but hadn't taken them. Would she now?

Did he want her to?

He wasn't sure.

as written by Sentry

Hubert stood briefly to stare at Cass, his eyes not as expectant as the rest. He'd never pushed Cass to do anything. She took him in- a bumbling idiot who didn't take anything seriously- and never thought any less of him.

Who was he, to dare her to do something so gruesome? Even if she'd willingly taken the position of pack leader, he didn't think she would have expected it to one day come to this. His compassion was there, somewhere behind the wild eyes of the wolf.

She didn't have to. She really didn't have to.

as written by Lorelia and Alara

Cass’s nostrils flared. Pack Leader, here we were again.
Arman began to make a sound that could be translated as a laugh. It was a disconcerting sound to be coming from someone so awfully vulnerable, so close to death. The chuckle came in bursts, distorted, deep.

Ignoring this, Cass transformed too, without so much as a flinch.

“Any?” She demanded, stepping up. “Any pack? Not my pack. That’s not how we work.” With her bravery at a high, she met him with a respectable amount of ferocity. “People shouldn't murder. What are you? Would you call yourself a good person? Or a good animal?” she stared accusingly, eyes wide.

Their ideals clashed. Cass’: tinted by bad memories, an unexpected turn, and life as a werewolf outsider. Convention: tradition, balance and experience.

"Then you would have us release him?" Baron asked.

His stare never wavered. He was watching her, calculating, and assessing her and she knew it.

Cass’s morals were roaring.

“It’s against both of our interests to release him. It’s against your interests to not kill him,” Cass answered.

Baron's eyes where locked on hers and an uneasy silence spread through the wood as Arman awaited his fate. Baron looked then to his pack, and the words he uttered where spoken without hesitation or remorse.

"Kill him."

as written by Script

Throughout the exchange, Snow's eyes hadn't left their quarry. Every movement had been read with an eye for the slightest hint of aggression. And so when Baron spoke, he went off like a coiled spring, rushing forwards in a streak of white. He released a sharp and guttural growl as he went straight for Arman's throat.

as written by Sentry

Hubert's eyes shot open wide, muscles tensing around his neck as Snow went for Arman.

He'd known that man.

Though he'd never liked him, never got along, thought he was this surly old creep, he had spoken to him, to an extent, hunt out with him, got used to his mannerisms. He'd becoming a thing in his life. And now, suddenly, he'd be missing. He'd have to deal with that from here. Someone he'd known was going to die right in front of him.

A necessary sacrifice, but a grim one.

No joke this time.

as written by Sentry

Ulrich gave a glance to Hubert. A short one, but it was enough to see the look on his face and hit him with a pang of guilt. However, there were more pressing matters than Hubert's distress.

The man had long since shut himself off from things like this. Though, in the back on his mind, he knew there was both distaste... and a riveting, heart pounding thrill. Morbid fascination was always among Ulrich's faults. A hidden one, at that. Beneath that constantly tired and apathetic expression were darker things.

So, without a moment of hesitation from the kill order, Ulrich lurched forward, teeth bared, thirsty. Ravenous.

as written by Tiko

Two more furred forms moved in unison, Desmond sweeping in from the side while Bastien hurtled himself at Arman's exposed back. The larger of the two, Desmond, came in low, his jaws snapped closed on air and falling short scant inches from disemboweling the rogue in a single swift strike.

Bastien meanwhile slammed into Arman from behind as he threw his full weight into the larger werewolf, jaws snapping closed like a steel trap as he sought to get a grip on the rogue's shoulder to ride him the ground beneath his weight.

Arman might hold his own long enough to fling some of them away, but with the weight of the pack bearing down on him with gnashing teeth, it was only a matter of time. It would not be a swift death though. No, he would be rend and torn from all sides as he was fought over like a scrap of meat... savaged like his victims had been. Each bite of torn flesh, each drop of lost blood would weaken him further until he hadn't the energy to fight them anymore. And when he faltered, there would be no mercy, no hesitation.

Back