Chronicles of The Omniverse Archived Lutetia City: Bloodstone Medical Center

Tiko

Draconic Administrator/Mentor
Administrator
Mentor
Nexus GM
as written by Tiko

When Jesse woke the morning after the attack on Re'Altarm in the Phantom Quarter he found himself sprawled upon the cold cement of a privately run - and highly illegal - medical center on the outskirts of Vargeras. It was owned and operated by Dr. Reinhard and served as the only medical facility in the city outfitted for treating werewolves. It maintained no official name and was typically referred to as simply 'Reinhard's' by those who know of its existence.

As the haze of sleep faded, it didn't take Jesse long to become aware of the fact that he was awkwardly devoid of any clothing. Unlike those of the Bloodstone pack who where born shapeshifters, Jesse was not yet accustomed to the comfort most of them held with public nudity. Worse yet, his clothes where still back in the Phantom Quarter where he had left them the night prior.

Fortunately Reinhard's patients where typically werewolves, and they were well accustomed to such complications, and Jesse had been volunteering enough hours here that he knew there was a storage room with old clothes. He got up with a groan, stiff from sleeping on the floor.

Once he was dressed with a pair of oversized pants and a shirt that was a few sizes too loose, he went in search of Reinhard. Bare feet padded against the cement floors as he made his way through the facility, which had initially been constructed as an office building. The original owners had abandoned the project halfway to completion and Reinhard had bought up the property, and the building with it. Unfinished office rooms had been converted into exam rooms, and utility closet into supply rooms. Everything had an unfinished look to it, as the walls remained unpainted, and the floors bare of any linoleum or carpeting. It was a rather drab place of greys and unfinished wood. From the exterior the 'hospital' appeared little more than a rundown, abandoned building with the windows boarded up to keep the interior lights from shining out into the streets at night. Those who knew of its true purpose knew to come in through the back.

The entire operation was highly illegal, but the human hospitals lacked the proper facilities for treating werewolves without endangering both patient and doctor. There was also the trouble that many of Reinhard's patients were criminals, and not too keen to contend with the cops when they showed up at the hospital with gunshot wounds.

For that very same reason, much of the facility and its supplies where kept maintained by the various packs. It was through their funding that he could maintain this private operation, and being the only werewolf surgeon in the city meant that all of the packs had a vested interest in keeping him in business and respecting the neutrality of his center.

When Jesse finally located Reinhard, it was in one of the many converted office rooms where he was checking up on Re'Altarm.

"Hey. How is she?" Jesse asked.

"Stable for now. You did good work in getting her here," the doctor answered. "She's going to need surgery, but I don't think she's stable enough for that yet. I'm easing her off the sedatives so I can try to talk to her and find out what happened. Are you staying long?"

"Nah, I have to get back to report this to Baron. She was attacked scarcely a block outside of our territory, he'll want to know about it. Though... before I get going, there's something I wanted to ask. There's a little girl I've been treating, in the Phantom Quarter. She's in some bad need of some antibiotics, if you could spare some."

"Go ahead and take what you need," Reinhard told him.

Last edited by a moderator:
as written by Knosis

Slowly her eyes opened and she allowed herself to become conscious once more. The night before was just a haze after arriving here. All she could remember was shouting people and fussing over her, lots of needle pricks and then nothing. At least, she guessed she was still alive.

She was cleaner than she had been the night before. The doctor needed to get the dirt and blood off of her for the most part, and though the gown was tattered and reused quite a bit, it had been cleaner than the rags she wore into the hospital. The old battered medical equipment normally would have frighten her, if her thoughts hadn't been sluggish. Her throat was parched, probably from the stupid mask they put on her to help with her breathing. She couldn't move her right arm or shoulder at all. The pain from it was dulled to the point she barely felt it, or any of her aches and pains from the attack last night. However the one thing she could feel through the drugs, was that her entire body felt like it was on fire. It was a deep ache that throbbed with every fiber of her being. But it beat being dead, and if she no longer had use of her right arm and her body pained her like this for the rest of her life, she would use it as fuel to exact her revenge.

She began to look around for any sign of life. Her mind was foggy and thoughts came to her like a thick sludge, but desperation to find a familiar face from the night before took hold. "W-wolfie..?" She called in a soft, cracking voice. She swallowed hard, though it didn't help the dryness of her sore throat. "Wolfie...?!" She managed to cry louder.

as written by Tiko

As Re'Altarm was starting to come around the quiet of the center was disrupted by the loud screech of tires outside as someone peeled through the parking lot out back. The screeches where abruptly followed by urgent shouts from the lobby. It would all seem rather distant and surreal to Re'Altarm as she was still shaking the fog of drugs that had been keeping her sedated.

Reinhard grunted though. "Looks like we're revving up for a busy few days. Can you stay with her and see what you can find out?" he asked.

"Yeah, sure..." Jesse replied. "I'll just give Baron a call and let him know I'll be in later.

"Good lad," Reinhard said as he clapped a hand on Jesse's shoulder and shuffled past.

As Re'Altarm started crying out, Jesse moved over to the side of bed.

"Hey, easy there. You've been through a lot. I prefer going by Jesse by the way," Jesse replied with a reassuring smile. "Wolfie lacks a certain... panache," he added with a wink. "How are you feeling?"

as written by Knosis

Re'Altarm groaned as she tried to sit up a bit more, every movement bringing more of the 'fire' down upon her. She could barely move, and these odd sounds. Why was no one coming? Why was no one here..? It was hard to think through the fog of of the drugs, but she could feel a small rise of fear in her chest.

She was about to cry out again for 'Wolfie' again, when a strange man entered her room and went to her side. Instinctively, she pulled away as best as she could under the conditions she was in. She blinked and looked up at him with big honey brown eyes as he spoke, but the words didn't immediately sink it. It was only natural, she had only seen him in his wolf form. "W-wolfie..?" She croaked. She swallowed hard, though it was still hard seeing she had nothing to swallow.

"I mean.. Jesse.." She said quietly, correcting herself. "Y-you're a lot cuter as a human.." She said, bluntly. Seems her filter was gone too. "I-I could be worse off, I suppose.. I don't feel my right arm.." She murmured. She groaned as she shifted slightly. "My throat is on fire.. Everything hurts.." She murmured.

as written by Tiko

"Hey now, I think I make a perfectly adorable wolf," Jesse teased lightly. "And that's probably just the sedatives," Jesse explained. "You're doped up enough I would be surprised if you can feel much of anything."

He picked up a paper cup from the side table that had a bit of water poured in it.

"Here, drink this. Dr. Reinhard will be back soon and he can take a look at your arm."

He moved to lay the back of his hand against her forehead and his expression fell as he felt the telltale sign of fever. It was too early for infection to have set in and a spike in body temperature was often the first sign that lycanthropy had been contracted. He covered the falter in his expression as best he could with a reassuring smile.

"You're in good hands now. We'll get you taken care of. Is there anything you can remember about last night?" he asked.

as written by Knosis

"True.. But at least I can hold a d-decent conversation with your human form." She teased back, smiling. She had determined she liked him, and that was all there was to it.

She tried to lean up and take it on her own, but not being able to feel anything, she wasn't able to feel how tight to grip the paper cup, so needed some assistance. The cold water nearly choked her at first her throat was so dry, sending her into a fit of coughing.

She saw his expression fall and pondered upon it only fleetingly. The drugs seemed to make her not care about it though as soon as he smiled.

But at his question, her own expression grew dark. "I remember everything.." She whispered. She swallowed, took a deep breath, and explained slowly. "Went to the Phantom Quarter 'cause there's always trash there.. I hadn't eaten in a while, so I was kind of desperate for money.. Thought maybe I could dig up something worth money so I could buy food.." She began to tremble visibly. "I looked up.. And that.. Thing was there.. It jumped me and held me down.. I c-c-couldn't g-g-get away.." Her heart started pounding, she could hear it in her ears. Even through the sedatives, this memory was still fresh and full of emotion. "H-h-he was l-laughing.. And his.. h-his eyes.." She shuttered at the memory of those burning yellow eyes that seemed to leave scars across her very soul.

The burning intensified and she yelped. Her breathing grew rapid and her monitor showed her heart was racing. She was beginning to have a panic attack.

as written by Tiko

"Hey, hey," he said as he moved and pulled a small stool over next to the bed she was on. He lay a hand on her own and gave it a comforting squeeze. "You're safe now. You've me told enough. It'll help us find whoever did this to you, I promise."

His face pinched with concern. Her wounds where severe, and there was every chance she wouldn't survive what was to come in the weeks ahead. And if it where anything like his turning, come two weeks she would be wishing she had died last night. It was perhaps this thought that struck a note with him, and he determined then and there to stay with her through this. Just as the pack had stayed beside him.

"We'll get you through this, alright?" he asked. "I want you to get some rest. There's some things we need to talk about, but rest for now, alright?"

as written by Knosis

His touch brought her back, making the fear melting away. She gripped his hand gently in return after she calmed down. But her eyes grew dark and her voice grew deadly cold with her next words. "I will find him.." She whispered. Her words were deadly and carried hints of more threats and promises that she would not voice out loud.

Blinking, she turned to look at Jesse directly, the hatred gone from her words. "I have no right to ask this.. But, please don't leave me.." She pleaded. "Y-you've been so kind so far to me.. And I have a feeling that If I let you go.. What's left of me will go too.." She added tiredly. She closed her eyes after that and let herself relax as best she could but found that sleep came easier than she had anticipated. Unless woken up, she would probably sleep for the remainder of that day.

as written by Tiko

Once Re'Altarm was resting, Jesse slipped out of the room in search of a phone. His cellphone was still back in the Phantom Quarter, and he would need to slip out and get his things while Re'Altarm was asleep.

He picked the receiver up off a hanging wall mount and dialed in Baron's number.

"Hey, Baron?" he spoke into the receiver.

"Yeah, it's me. I'm over at Reinhard's right now."

"What? No I'm fine. There was a wolf attack over in the Phantom Quarter last night. I'm with her now."

"I don't know, but she's pretty bad off. From what she tells me... it sounds like it was deliberate."

"Yeah, sure. I need to head back there anyways to get my things. I'll meet you down at the corner, and we can head over there."

He hung up the receiver and jotted down a quick note for Re'Altarm that he left on the bedside stand in case she woke, or Reinhard returned, just explaining that he would be back soon.

as written by Tiko

It was two days after Re'Altarm's surgery, and Jesse had been making it a point to come visit her at the medical center every day. Her fever hadn't yet broken, but he knew it wouldn't. He knew too that in a few days that fever would spike, and she would find herself in and out of lucidity, and he needed to prepare her for what was happening to her before it reached that point.

He pulled his car into the lot out behind the building, which was as vacant as ever. Some bits of trash, and rusted scrap metal where strewn about it, but it looked for all intents and purposes like the parking lot of an abandoned lot should look like.

He turned the engine off and got out to head inside. Once he reached her room, he rapped lightly on the door frame, to rouse her attention to his presence there.

"Hey, how are you feeling today?" he asked. "Doc says you're doing well."

as written by Knosis

Re'Altarm had been focused on her right arm, biting her lip, watching as her finger tips moved slightly. She was glad that some movement had returned, but the doctor had made sure to bind the rest of it in order to keep her from moving her arm at all.

And it itched something terribly. But compared to the ever growing fire within her, it was nothing. She found it easier to sleep through it, but she did not want to miss when Jesse came to visit.

As she heard the all too familiar knock, she smiled almost by instinct now. Her honey colored eyes lit up at the sight of him. "Hey Jesse.." She said tiredly. "Seems so.. I can wiggle my fingers now. See?" She demonstrated her new found ability to him. "H-how are you doing? Did someone find who did this to me yet..?" She asked, curious. There were times she woke with a start, panting heavily as if she had been running. She claimed it was the burning that woke her up, but truly it was the nightmares of the night of the attack. And the drug induced sleep never helped when you tried to get away from the darkness.

as written by Tiko

Jesse's expression fell a bit as she asked into her attacker and he shook his head as he came inside.

"We're still looking into it," Jesse explained.

He pulled the wooden stool in the room up next to the bed she was resting on and took a seat.

"There's something we need to talk about," he told her finally. "You feeling well enough for that?"

as written by Tiko and Knosis

She bit her lip. "That's okay. I'm safe here at least." She said, smiling bravely for him. She reached out and tried to hold on to his hand with her left arm. "Sure. I'll be fine. What do you want to talk about?" She asked, though worry had come to rest on her brow. What did he want to talk about? How she was here illegally? This had worried her since the night he asked where she had come from.

"The thing that attacked you?" he asked. "It was a... well I suppose you would know it best as a 'werewolf'," he explained. "They're actually quite common around here. This fever you've been running is your body trying to fight off what it perceives as an infection."

She blinked and looked down at her arm. "T-that thing was a werewolf..?" She asked quietly. Her heart sank as the information slowly clicked as to what that meant. She swore in another language. "S-so my body can't fight off the i-infection..?" She asked, though her voice was dark and gloomy, as if she already knew the answer.

"Hey now, don't look so gloomy," he told her as he offered her a reassuring smile and a supportive squeeze of her hand. "I know this is going to take some time for you to absorb, but it's not the end of the world."

He let her hand go so he could roll up the sleeve of his jacket, where he sported a series of faded scars that looked reminiscent of a dog bite. They had all but healed during his first transformation, but the scars still remained, faint as they where.

"Six months ago," he explained. "I used to work over at Saint Abelard Hospital, and one of our patients turned out to be a wolf. I didn't have anyone, or know what was happening to me, but you won't need to go through that. I'm going to help you with this, alright?"

She looked up at Jesse, biting her bottom lip to try to keep from crying.

"So sad.." She murmured quietly. "You're so nice, I couldn't imagine no one being there for you.. And here I am sniveling like a child.." She tenderly traced the faint scars on his arm before nodding her head. "A-alright.." She said quietly. "But.." She closed her eyes. "Promise me something, okay Jesse..?" She looked him dead in the eyes. "If I become a monster like the one who turned me.. I want you to stop me, by any means possible.. Please..?" She looked away from him. "Again.. I sound childish.. I'm sorry.." She wiped her eyes.

"That won't happen," Jesse reassured her. "Werewolves... we're just like humans in some ways. We have our criminals, our murderers, our rapists, and our serial killers, just like humans do. But that doesn't mean that we all turn out that way. Chances are the monster that attacked you was a monster long before he became one of us. You, are Re'Altarm, and this won't change that."

She took in a deep breath very slowly and let it out in a puff, her shoulders relaxing as the tension this news has caused slowly melted away. For some reason, she had trusted Jesse pretty easily from the beginning. And if he says everything will be alright, she believed him wholeheartedly.

"Let's just hope I'm cuter than him then." She teased lightly. "Because I don't think I could live with the shame of looking like -that-." She grinned.

"Afraid we'll just have to wait and see on that one," Jesse teased her lightly. "Not all of us can look as good in fur as me," he added as he grinned back at her. "I won't lie to you though, this isn't going to be an easy ride. Nothing I say to you now can possibly prepare you for what's coming, but I'll do what I can and answer any questions you have."

as written by Knosis

"True, I'm sure I'm going to be jealously watching you as you prance about in your fine fur coat." She laughed tiredly. She was taking this very well, it seemed.

"Life isn't an easy ride." She seemed to correct him slightly. "We plan for our life to be better than it was the day before, and then we're kicked on our tush. But it wouldn't be living if we didn't have our ups and downs.. I'm lucky. I'm still alive, and I have met you. Right now, that's all I need."

"So.. What can I expect once I become one..? I know the legends, but nothing more."

as written by Tiko

"And hey, it's not so bad. How many other people do you know who get to run naked through the streets howling at the moon, and not get arrested for it?" he jested lightly. "In a way it's like being reborn. It's scary, and it's painful. But when it's over, it can be amazing. There's something that just feels so right about running with a pack," he explained.

"The next few weeks are going to be the worst of it. Your fever is going to spike in a few days. You'll experience a lot of aches and pains, which will reach a peak after about three weeks from the night you where bitten. By this point your body will be losing the fight, and its going to be succumbing to the genetic mutations that are altering it in preparation for your first transformation. This is going to hurt, worse than anything you've ever felt before."

"And when the time comes, don't fight it. Just let it happen. Your body will know what it needs to do. The first transformation is always the worst."

as written by Knosis

The idea of running through the streets completely naked sparked an bright blush on her face. Of course, no one cares when you're covered in fur, but still.

Listening to his description of the changes she would face, sobered her up from her girlish worries, though. Her face turned a bit pale at the thought of the burning she felt now growing worse. "I'll be fine." She said quietly, more in reassurance to herself than to Jesse. "Will I be able.. Stay with you afterward..?" She asked.

as written by Tiko

"Well... we'll have to keep you confined, for your first transformation. It can be a bit hard to control yourself at first. There's a lot of new impulses and instincts you're going to need to adjust to. I'll be nearby though," he reassured her.

"I talked to Doc earlier today, about getting you moved to The Den," he added. "It's about as comfortable of a place as this room, which is to say not very," he added with a sheepish grin. "But you'll be with pack. People like us. I'll be able check in on you more often too. It's up to you."

as written by Knosis

"I see.." She said quietly. "I understand though." She said.

But at the mention of the move, she nearly bounced up and down in her bed. It wasn't that it was uncomfortable here, in fact this place was as comfortable as she had ever been in her life. But a change of scenery would be nice. "I can..?" She asked quietly. "I'd like that, I think.." She didn't add that it was because Jesse would be able to drop by more often.

She yawned softly, still fighting back the tiredness that was threatening to to over take her. "Thank you, Jesse.."

as written by Tiko

"Alright, I need to go make arrangements. For now, why don't you finish your lunch and get some rest," he said as he eyed her half-finished lunch that was still sitting on the bedside table. "I'll be back tonight."

as written by Knosis

Wincing at the mention of food, the girl only glanced at her half eaten lunch. At first, it was unbelievable to have so much food. Now? Even looking at it made her feel ill. She had over stuffed herself.

"I'll finish it.." She promised him. However as soon as he left, she would shut her eyes and fall into an uneasy sleep.

Back