Chronicles of The Omniverse Archived Lutetia City: Catacombs

As written by CaerBear and Knosis

The Caer smiled, eyeing his 'secretary' as she moved away. "Many people claimed they could destroy my father, and only one of them proved correct. They will pay for it though." A dismissive hand would be waved through the air, like he was lazily swatting at a fly that simply wasn't there. At the same time, one of the jingling briefcases would be lifted from the floor, before being slid across to the wolf-man. "Selling points are that it heals woulds and general sicknesses. If you happen to be healthy and whole, the effects are a little more...interesting. Makes you want to fuck. Makes the world seem much more open and far away. Numb, and pleasantly cool."

"At least thats what my testers have told me. I don't touch it myself, only because I don't do needles. Also, in heavy enough doses, it might cause hallucinations, but very mild ones. You know you're about to OD if you start to see a whole lot of snow, so that's a warning you might want to give out." Inside the finely lined carrier were several three-inch long vials full of a goopious black liquid, thicker than honey and infinitely dark. Like a runny tar. "People can drink it, but a cleaner hit is through the arm."

Scooting back in his massive arm chair, Nox would cross his long, power legs. "Price isn't something I'm so much concerned about as I am with simply getting this stuff to market. I've tried my hand at prepping it for launch, and making sure its not dangerous in small doses. The work has been done, but I could only get so many testers myself. I want to see its success on a much larger market before I move into major production."

Rowan nodded, accepting a glass of water from Zanzi as she returned from behind him. She moved to take her place behind Nox, waiting for her next order, or to watch for any sign that this would go south. It would seem, Zanzi was doing her best to make sure this deal would go into Nox's favor.

"So you want to pass it around to see it how differently it can effect people. Now, the more serious question, do you want this drug passed to just humans, or do you want to test this on all spectrum?" He took a sip of water from the glass. "If what you say on the effects are true, it shouldn't be a problem to sell. Many people in the night life tend to fuck, get high, or stab each other anyway." He muttered, pondering on the subject.

He picked up one of the vials and held it up to try to see through it. "Though, it may be difficult to convince people that something that looks like its been drained from the bottom of a grease pan will give them what they're looking for.." He murmured.

"Don't worry too much about the appearance. There isn't anything I or my producers can do to change the way it looks. Unfortunate, I know, but alas." A hearty shrug, followed by the Caer examining his well kept, razor sharp nails. "But you're right, about wanting it tested as much as possible. Sell it to whoever wants to buy it. I'll let you decide the price. You can keep all the profit as well. I simply don't need the money. This is all..."

Slowly, Nox would reach into a second brief, removing one of the vials for himself to examine. "...A labor of love. The concoction was accidentally discovered, but it has a lot of promise. If my chemists can find a way to purify this stuff, I bet it would replace a lot of pain killers, and that's just a start. That is how good this...beta-phase, barely tested, impure goop is, Mr. Wolf. We just need more test subjects."
"And, not to loop around to a previous point, but that's you. You and your pack. So, do we have a deal? Can I count on you for this simple little drug pushing endeavor?"

Rowan narrowed his eyes and focused on Nox. He was a businessman, and had been for quite some time. He hadn't built his empire overnight, and he often knew that all things 'free' came with a price. He gently placed the vial back into the suit case and folded his fingers together, leaning forward on the table.

He hesitated for a moment, trying to find the right words. "Forgive me, Mr. Caeruleum.. But even a novice businessman would notice that a majority of the benefits of this deal fall on my side, at least.. All the noticeable ones anyway. You're giving me a product to sell for you, for testing as you say yes.. But you care little for the money, which is the biggest reason most of my clients want me to push anything. If this isn't about profit, what is it you plan to gain from this long term? At least, I'm assuming you'd want me to be your pin point of spreading this outside the city to my connections if your tests prove to your liking."

The Caeruleum weren't well known for their.. generosity.

The undead took his shimmering orbs away from his well manicured claws and fixed Rowan with an icy stare. "Because money is useless to me. I don't need any more of it. The Monastic Order seized more than ninety percent of my family's fortune, and what was still left for me to scrounge and gather up over the past half-century would be more than enough for several very pampered life times. I don't need income though. All I need to keep existing, from now until time stops, is fresh meat and fear. I don't need light, or air, or mortal food, or even company."

Leaning forward in his throne, Nox would steeping his fingers together. "You say this deal is too good, too one sided. Well, you're right. All you get is money. I get knowledge. I get to see people experience something they might never get to otherwise. Memories, dear Mr. Wolf, memories are what I seek. After all, the only thing I have left of my family are what I remember, but simply put, all I want is to pass the time. Try something new out. I've never been a kingpin before." The word was spat with vulgar disgust. Kingpin. A title for weak men.

"But I understand. Doing business with the Caeruleum name, should word get out, would put your entire pack in some very hot water." Nox would snap his fingers. "Zanzi, dear, bring me a white, one of the ones on the top shelf, would you? And a glass, or two, or three. I'm feel like sharing."

It was all he could do to keep himself from leaping across the dark table and strangling the mongrel. This should have been simple. Barbaric mutts like to be neck deep in crime of all sorts, but now of all times they decide to get suspicious. While waiting for his wine, the Patriarch did he best to keep the corners of his mouth from twitching into snarls and grimaces. "What do I need to tell you, or give you, to make this work?"

Zanzi nodded softly and moved to do as she was bid. Rowan met the Caer's stare and couldn't help but notice the hairs on the back of his neck rising. His own blue hues seemed to glow in the dark as a response, a frown on his lips.

"Mr. Caeruleum.." He said, leaning forward as well. "I think you misunderstand me. I have been talking this entire time as if expecting to take this deal. I don't give a damned about the risk, call it.. A thrill mind you. See, I do have something I'd like to ask in return instead. One thing you may find more entertaining."

Zanzi returned with the bottle of white wine Nox had requested and poured two glasses as requested. "You see, you've caught me at an awkward moment is all. My turf.. Is currently being pushed upon, which causes issues with my business, as you can imagine." He stated. "I have to make the decision of defending my turf, or keeping my clients happy. But, perhaps maybe.. You can help me out with an extermination problem? In exchange, I'll pass this," he gestured to the cases, "as hard and as fast as I can. For as long as you would like as well. Hell, if it is to your satisfaction, I'll personally see to it it pushes out the city as well."

The light flared to life behind Nox's long dead eyes and he stood in an instant. This was what he had been bred to do! Finally, some one commanding violence from him! Orders! "Yes! Who is it? Who do you want me to kill?!" The sick joy behind the Caers voice seemed to reverberate around the room, over and over, getting stronger with each echo.

"Is it the Bloodstones? The Church? My cowardly kindred who stood by?! Who do you want dead?! I need you to tell me!" Nox wished with all his black heart for it to be dogs! The idea of finally getting to stalk the nights, skinning mutts to the bone! Breaking into their houses, ripping their pups apart! It would be...nostalgic...

As written by CaerBaer and Knosis

A toothy grin spread across Rowan's face as he watched the Caer lord become excited. Fear sidled through him, as he stared into the face of what was, and still, certain death for lesser werewolves. But to see the vampire this excited, and to be on his side? It was a thrill and a stroke of luck he never saw coming.

"You got it right the first time." Rowan said quietly, his voice as calm as he could keep it. "The Bloodstones. If you'd like to go after the whole damn pack, be my guest. But to be fair, there's only two brothers standing in my way. One of them is near dead, I made sure of that. The other.. Well. I hope you're up for a bit of a challenge of skinning a mutt. Took a silver bullet between the eyes and didn't stay down."

He smirked slightly. "I need you to take care of them for me, keep them off my turf, off my back so I can pass your drugs. And if you take them out permanently, no other mutt pack in this city has the balls to try to stop me in this city." Rowan carefully extended a hand.

"Do we have a deal?"

Nox's grip would be like one of iron. Inescapable. Cold. Like a prison solidified in a gesture of compliance. "I will speak with my Family, and my other allies. I'll see what I can arrange, but I'm sure a pelt or two delivered is a simple enough request. You run my drugs. You keep the money. I kill a couple of mutts."

Power began to seep through the Caer's touch. Dark, insidious, and hungry, it would play at Rowan's skin, and beyond it, tendrils of imperceptible energy plucking away at the Scion's very core. "But you should know that my family doesn't take betrayal lightly. I'll honor all we've agreed to, but you best uphold your end. I'd hate to have my lovely pet pay you another visit..."

Rowan had the grace not to flinch and cower at the Caer lord's words, but he could not help the natural instinct of the hairs standing on end on his neck, nor the shiver that ran down his spine. Rowan gave a slight smirk. "You insult me, Mr. Caeruleum. If I never held up my end of the bargain, do you think I'd be in the seat I am?" It was an honest question, one he didn't intend to have the Caer answer.
Still, his 'pet' purred at the mention of her presence, and Rowan's eyes lit bright again.

"You do not need to threaten me." He shook Nox's firm grip, but did not intend to let go until the vampire lord pulled his own. Rowan couldn't help but feel he had sold his soul to the devil himself. But if it were all true, Rowan was heading that way anyway. No, it was time to dance with this devil, and see where it would bring him in the end. And with the Caer on Baron's trail, and Ragenard's..

The possibilities were endless.

"Who might be that instructor you were talking about earlier, out of curiosity?" Abel piped up as they started to enter the catacombs. "Someone within the order?" Lachapelle too was moved by the Garou's impassioned retort, but he held his tongue from response or compliment. He regretted not saying something, but it could not be helped anymore, at least not unless he met him again. He had introduced himself as Leo Legrand, and slipped the proselyte his business card at some point that the apprentice didn't notice.

Instead of flashy tricks or magical items, Abel simply clicked the rubbery button on a flashlight to help illuminate the dark tunnels of the public grave. Before he lost reception on his cellphone, he called Arianne, and put it on speaker. After a few moments, the witch picked up.

"Do you need something, Abel?"

"Out of curiosity, just how deep do you intend me to go to gather this soil? I'm standing in the catacombs now, and I'd rather not venture farther than necessary,"

"Always the timid one, hm? Well, travel deep enough that the walls and bones are looking back at you, and the howling echoes are no longer just the wind. It also looks different if it's the right kind, you'll know when you see it."

Before the proselyte could ask any further questions, the other end of the call hung up with a click.

"That's about typical for how much help she is with these things," he sighed and stuffed the phone back into his bag. "Whenever she's teaching me to cast spells, she's so strict and overbearing it makes Grunxa look like a slacker. Things like this? She acts like the host of a game show, and I sincerely doubt gathering all of these materials will earn me a new car or all expenses paid vacation."

“Used to be,” Savien replied, “he’s an old friend - a former paladin. The Council tarnished his silver fifteen years ago, but he’s stayed true to his oath. A good man.”

He would attempt to interject towards the end of the phone call. “Arianne, wait, it’s Savien. What the hell are you having us-“

Too late. The line went dead. Savien growled, cursing the Fabres and all their ancestors beneath his breath.

“She treats much like a game,” he replied to Abel, “sometimes I think she sees mortals like me as play things to be toyed with for her own amusement.”

They delved deeper into the dark, Abel leading the way with his flashlight. The boy’s courage impressed Savien. This wasn’t a particularly dangerous part of the catacombs, but there were many proselytes who feared to go anywhere near the webwork tunnels beneath the city surface.

“How old are you, Abel?” He asked, “have you thought about whether you’ll take the silver as a paladin or a cleric?” He cleared his throat. “That is, if you still plan on staying with the Order. I’m worried Arianne might lure you into her coven.” He shook his head. “Light knows she has enough money to pay for the drop-out debt you’d accrue for not graduating.”

“I suppose that’s what happens when y-“ Abel paused, slowly turning back and looking up at the paladin with a raised eyebrow. “That word you just used, Mortal. What makes you use that word?” He let the question hang in the air briefly, eventually noting that certain tinge in spirit one undergoes when they see it. It hasn’t been known to change a person, closer to a harmless but visible watermark on the soul.

“You’ve been to the Dream, haven’t you? I can see it’s mark on your aura.” He wasn’t sure if this revelation was disturbing or comforting, that someone in the Order was familiar with the kind of people and experiences Abel was undergoing.

The catacombs darkened, and while the Proselyte was wary for his safety, he didn’t quite feel fear, at least not yet. He saw the darkness as inhibiting, but he did not fear the dark itself. The creatures within it may give him pause, but empty corridors did not scare the reclusive apprentice.

“Sixteen, at least for a few more months. If I do stay with the Order, and I assume I will unless there’s any major objections from the Monastery or the Coven, I’d probably move towards the role of Cleric. I don’t know if the organization would approve of a Paladin being a witch and possibly a nonhuman. We’re desperate for manpower, but cases like the former Lady Duval must still be a concern, no?”

Savien gave Abel a leery look. “You’ve seen it too, then.” He shook his head. “The Fabres are going too far with you, Abel. You’re still a student. The burdens these witches would give you should not be yours to bear.”

He fell silent. Then, “Mortal. Mudman. Human. People without powers. People who’ll die to just about anything with fangs or claws or will otherwise live to eighty and then get cancer or heart disease or some other commonplace and unimpressive killer.” He looked ahead, into the black. “We take the silver. We live twenty, maybe thirty years. We die. We burn. Our friends mourn us. They die. They burn. The world turns and no one remembers.” A cold draft whispered from the black cooridors, bristling the stubble on Savien’s jaw. “To be human is to be mortal.” He looked at Abel. “To be a paladin is to be mortal.”

A chill took Savien at the mention of Duval. His hand, already brushing the hilt of his sword, tightened. He could still see her - the girl in his class with long flaxen hair. The girl who knocked him on his ass in gym and then picked him up and showed him how to counter her strike. The girl with whom he would sneak up to the roof of the Miroir de Feu at night, watch the city lights, watch her, the autumn wind playing with hair, strands of silk almost white in the glow of the moon...

...and at Valentine Park, sneering, flame-wreathed, shrouded in the clutch of Wynter, eyes aflame with fury, with bloodlust, with hate...

He drew a breath. “Elise is-“ He stopped. “...Dame Duval - or what was Duval - is not a fair comparison. The power she wields is far from arcane. It’s infernal. Corrupt. Pure evil.”

They stopped at a split in the path. Two cooridors forked before them - one held up by chipped pillars and ancient stonework, the other by sturdy wooden mining supports.

“Left or right?”

“To properly learn from them, I must follow in their footsteps. Many of their techniques and teachings could rend my body and mind if I don’t prepare, if I’m not willing to cast away my humanity. It’s a steep price, but one I’m willing to pay for the advancement of my studies so I can protect the people I’m sworn to defend.”

“It makes me wonder, Ser Durandet. We throw so much of ourselves away to do things like this. When do we stop being protectors, and start becoming monsters that happen to pick the right side?”

He remained still at the crossroads, listening to the stagnant air. He wasn’t sure if it was arcane awareness or simple instinct, but the stone-hewn path called out to him, a broken, silent howl over nonexistent wind.

“Left.”

Many paladins might have rebuked Abel for his willingness to forsake his humanity or his brazen questioning of the Order’s righteousness. Savien was quiet. He took glances at the stonework carving the walls as they passed - ancient Issune texts, visions of armored horsemen riding to battle. They were wandering into one of the older sections of the catacombs built during the days of the old Theocracy - likely before the First Plague.

“Someone once said,” Savien replied after a long silence, “that when you fight monsters, you become one.” His pale lips made a crooked grin. “If that’s true, I’m already damned.” He glanced at the proselyte. “I don’t have the answer for you, Abel - if we’re angel or demon or some twisted combination of the two. All I know this: if you’re crazy enough to keep pursuing this line of work, then at some point in your life, you’re going to be given a choice. A hard choice. One where you fail either way. One where people die no matter which path you take.”

They passed ancient tombs inscribed with foreign runes and chipped gargoyles mounted on pillars of marble - brooding and silent in the dark.

“Know this - even then, when all you can do is pick the lesser of two evils - one choice is right, one choice is wrong.” He nodded stiff and stern. “And the right choice is usually the one that either gets you killed or puts a few extra scars on your chest.”

Sculptures of knights lined the halls - ancient paladins of the elder Order, swords pressed to their chest plates in eternal salute.

“At the end of the day, the only difference between a man and a monster is who’s willing to shed blood for the guy you’ve never even met. Not because it’s noble. Not because it’s your duty. Just because it’s right.”

The hallway ended with a mighty sepulcher ported by two cracked stone doors which took up most of the wall. Pillars stood at either side, ivy and roses carved into the stonework.

“Welp,” Savien sucked the inside of his cheek. “Dead end.” He looked around. “See any nice lookin’ dirt?”

"Impressive historical artifacts everywhere you look," Abel briefly glanced across the artwork adorning the walls. "You'd think the powers that be would try harder to catalog or preserve these kinds of things." Lachapelle seemed to avoid the topic of becoming a monster, though even the witch's boy wasn't quite sure why he did.

"It's better, but not quite what I need. Something a little more, er, desecrated is necessary." He smirked at himself for saying such a thing, especially given his surroundings. Yet, he felt a presence watching him. Not that of Savien or any of his instructors, but something else. The unbridled aggression and unwavering malice, belonging both to a thousand raving hounds and a scorned grudge, yet too intelligent for the former and not enough for the latter. The impression straddled the line between man and beast, life and death, yet seemed to exist on neither side. He could feel it bearing closer, nearly smelling its slavering maw, when-

CRACK!

Abel soared a dozen feet back, breathing in ragged gasps and clutching his chest.

"Savien, something's here..! Ready your guard!" He looked back to the entrance of the room, but he saw only the Paladin alongside him.

"By Selene-"

Savien drew steel, his free hand blurring to his belt. There was a crack of glass on metal, a cold hiss, before the knight's blade lit up from tip-to-guard in a blaze of brilliant, shimmering gold.

He rushed to Abel's side, instinctively processing every bit of information as he ran. Some sort of creature - spirit, probably - invisible but tangible enough to send Abel flying across the room. Savien looked for footprints on the floor or disruptions of particles in the air, listening for any unnatural sounds that strayed to close.

"Abel, can you sense it?" He positioned himself in front of the proselyte, blade poised against the dark. "Tell me where it is."

"I-I don't see anything, but I know it's here," the proselyte wheezed as he shuffled into a sitting position, holding his ribs and conjuring a matchstick-sized sliver of light to help illuminate the room. Savien could see the creature easily: a massive, gangly creature with four legs, with shadows stretched taut over bone like sheets. Its maw dripped a foul-smelling liquid that hissed as it touched the ground, with rows upon rows of jagged teeth. A pinprick of light occupied what was otherwise a void in each eye, which claimed ownership of the malignant gaze.

The beast shrieked as it swiped at the Paladin, extending wicked hooked claws built to rend the flesh of the living.

Savien grimaced as the thing stepped into the light. He brought to bear all his knowledge of the arcane and the infernal, trying to name and categorize the abomination before him. The sooner he figured out what it was, the sooner he could defeat it.

No time to think. Not even time to draw his Lawkeeper. The creature lunged forward. Savien had just enough time to flick his wrist, a retractable Vigilance roundshield shnking into circular formation across his forearm. Razor claws met plates of tempered steel, sparks waking in the rending trails.

“Ggrnnn!” the paladin growled, stabbing his longsword forward against the beast. Coated tip-to-base in Sunray, the blade shimmered with intense heat, melting away at any non-metallic substance like butter put to flame.

“Get back!” He shouted to Abel. “And if this thing kills me-“ He snarled, taking another swipe. “-run for your fucking life, got it?!”

Back