Chronicles of The Omniverse Archived Lutetia City: Fountainbleu

Corso watched the fires with eyes narrowed.

"Not even I could have predicted how pathetic the Order's response would be," Corso replied, voice quiet and thoughtful, "time will tell if this new generations of paladins is as weak as they appear, or if there are still lions beneath the banner of the Raven, as there once were."

He looked up at Nox. "But enough of that. You know what I can offer you - near limitless necrotic power, skills honed over nearly a century of practice. I can even offer you weapons against the damnable wardens - turn their beloved 'animancy' against them. I am also a skilled doctor, especially among paranormal types, and can offer healing should any of your family require it." He rolled his index finger against his thumb. "And, of course, as many undead thralls as you can create corpses. I don't think you will have a problem with that."

Last edited:
"There certainly won't. After today, the Catacombs will be overflowing with plenty of ripe, juicy specimens for you to pick from." This actually gave Nox a reason to seriously consider the necromancer's offer. Deep in his father's tomes, the ones left to him that the Order hadn't managed to loot from the original family mansion, were full of indecipherable arcane gibberish. While he'd never, ever, let this worm get his hands on one of Nito's self written spellbooks...He could prove a useful tool in solving the mysteries their pages might hold. "I don't see what I could possibly lose from it." The rest of the climb up was short enough, and soon the Caer stood beside his new, tentative, ally.

"I honestly forgot how small you were, Corso. Not that being so tiny is anything to be ashamed of, its not your fault. I'd chalk it up to weak genetics." Despite the ups and downs of an incredibly unstable psychology, the Lord of Winter seemed to be in an almost permanently pleasant mood. He was even being playful! A rare thing for a creature such as him, at least, when he wasn't toying with his food.

Corso scoffed. "I can construct a body to be whatever height I wish, but most mortal men are between 5'7" and 6'. Not all of us wish to be so conspicuous, my lord Caer." The man stood at about 5'9", long-haired and pale skinned. He was handsome in an ordinary sort of way - rather thin looking, all things considered.

"We both stand to lose our lives if we fail," Corso replied, "but in light of today's events, I think the chances of the Order making any meaningful counter to your rise are rapidly deteriorating. You are right - now is the time to strike."

He turned to Nox. "Which is why I need your help. I originally approached the packs for assistance, but they've gone silent. In short, I'm planning to break into the Monastic armory."

In the distance, the sound of sirens, a muted rumbling as a building collapsed.

"I am going to steal one of the Pleur de'Eleu, a Tear of God, and corrupt it."

"Relying on the mongrels for anything is a sure enough way to wind up disappointed. Dogs aren't partners, Corso, they're dogs. They belong in kennels, on the battlefield, or on the dinner table if you're desperate enough." His stride would carry him to the edge of the room, proud and oh-so-very lewd in his nakedness. The mention of one of the Tears filled Nox's head with visions, whispers from the cold entity that held the entirety of the Caeruleum bloodline in its grasp, implanting images and thoughts and prophecies into the Caer Lord's already unstable mind. Like Father like Son, the third boy of the Old House was becoming more like Nito with each passing day, with each fresh soul consumed.

And he found himself loathing it. With three children on the way, true born heirs to his name and blood, Nox had begun thinking...things. Things that Wynter didn't like, didn't want its puppet feeling, but knowing said puppet was powerless to do anything about it without breaking the Contract.

"What...do you think you might be able to do with this Pleur? Whats the end game you're after? I know what mine is. I seek revenge. Satisfaction. Reproduction... ... ...Freedom. But what are your aspirations, Corso? What do you seek to gain out of all this? What is it that drives you to strike out against Selene and the Monastic Order as viciously as you intend to do?"

"The Pleur are power sources," Corso replied, "glorified batteries. There's nothing 'holy' about them, but the unique radiation they emit is potent enough to nullify most other energy fields or auras - even yours, however momentary it may be."

He remained static as Nox strode the edge of the room, unconcerned with his blatant nakedness. "If my calculations are correct - and they are - I can alter the field frequency of an individual Pleur; I can make them antagonistic to the traditional 'holy' radiation used by the Order and manipulate it into amplifying our power."

The necromancer went silent, pondering Nox's question. "My goal, for all purposes, is the same as yours. I seek the destruction of the Order. My motives behind that desire..." He looked at the Caer. "...there are some things not even a necromancer wishes to speak of. It's as you said - we can be useful to each other. Suffice that my intentions are complimentary to your own, and that I am dependent upon your power to see them through."

Another Monastic lie. Nox had had aspirations for the Tear, if it was truly some sort of divine relic. He'd been hoping it could, in some capacity, serve his own personal agenda, the one He'd only dared to share with Pierette in their moments of passion. But learning that such ideas were futile sooner rather than later was a bitter consolation prize compared to the glimmer of freedom he had glimpsed. "A fair point I suppose. I do wonder what the Order could've done to you to invoke such a long lived grudge. For me, it's a matter of blood. They took my entire family from me, right down to the infants."

The Caer Lord would pause, staring out across Lutetia. "You'll have my assistance. In return, you'll help to build me an army. You'll even be given access to one of my safe houses, servants, and tomes written by my Father. Does this please you, Corso?"

Reality seemed to tear in front of them, hints of shouts and screams echoing from within its depths. For a few seconds, nothing else happened. Then the portal seemed to tilt and out tumbled a dark clad man, snarling and snapping insults at the unseen force that had dropped him here. His golden hues were slit from the irritation at the insult of having so abruptly been forced here. Slowly, the tall vampire stood up, brushing the dirt from his long coat.

Without looking up, the grumpy man addressed the two others within the room. "Apologies for my lateness. I was only just informed of the change in the schedule."

He turned to Nox. "Your pet was gracious enough to give me a lift."

The shadows around Nox would seem to dance slightly and hug around his frame, letting him know his pet was near by once again.

"She is indeed gracious, isn't she?" Nox cooed, stroking his arms where the shadows clung the hardest. "Ah, where are my manners? Corso, these are my associates, Zanzibar and Alek. Alek, Zanzi dear, this is Corso the Necromancer. A powerful one if his boasts and infamy are half deserved."

With the appearance of his beloved demoness, the Caer seemed to visibly relax, his shoulders slouching and the hungering, slavaceous smile shifting to one that was considerably...goofier. "I was just getting to know our new ally before we set off. Oh, and Alek, Pierette sends her regards."

Corso nodded. "A pleasure." He tilted his head as he looked like Alek. "Hm. I feel as if we've met before. Perhaps I'm mistaken."

Zanzibar proved more interesting to the necromancer. He circled Nox and his demon slowly, smiling with fascination.

"Now isn't this curious? Good evening to you, madame," he made a quick, polished bow, "it's been some time before I've seen one of your kind. Not since the Barrows War, actually." He looked closely at the shroud surrounding Nox, as if measuring something.

"Has she been bonded to you long?" He asked Nox.

The elder vampire's mood soured even more at the mention of Pierette, physically flinching at the name as if Nox had struck a cord. Waving slightly as if to shoo the matter, he added with a barely hidden strain in his voice, "I hope she is well. Please send her my regards." Before turning his attention to the necromancer. He gave as little attention to the thin man as he did the vampire, or at least so it seemed. Alek shrugged slightly. "Perhaps." He grunted. "I highly doubt it."

The shadows swirled into the air slightly, as if gazing back at Corso just as curiously. Slowly, the shadows began to bunch up behind Nox, encircling his arm before the petite, dark skinned woman appeared clutching her master gently. Runes lined her dark skin like tattoos from head to toe. The violet hues of her eyes swirled playfully as she nodded her head in greeting. "Good evening." Her voice purred in response. "A powerful necromancer, you say my dear master?" She cooed, gently nuzzling into his arm. "Perhaps, then.. He could prove his claims and be useful for your next objective?" She asked, giving her master a look that very nearly identical to a kitten giving the 'cute look'.

"I was thinking the same thing, Zanzi. Its good to know we're on the same page." Nox grinned, half at the demon's affections, and half at Alek's reaction to his Lady's name. "My associates and I were meeting up for stage two of today's activities. I'm sure you're familiar with the Isle of Saint Maria? Fortress stronghold to the Inquisition? My brooding, ill-mannered but exceptionally capable companion," the Caer began, indicating to his fellow vampire, "managed to happen upon a tidbit of useful information. It seems that my Father's sword is in their possession, even after all these years. They couldn't destroy it. Couldn't purify it. So they've kept it buried, locked away in some heavily secured vault deep in the fortress. With the help of my little love-pet's portals, and the skill at arms Alek here possesses...I mean to take back my birthright. Once Titus had fallen, that blade was mine by rights, and I mean to claim it."

With a kiss to her forehead, Nox would detach his plaything from his arm. "As for how long we've been bonded...I'm honestly not to sure. Prophecy does tricks to the mind. Seems like half of my waking moments these days are things that have already happened, or things that are yet to be. Wynter communes with me far more than I'd like, but hasn't gotten in the way yet. Zanzi, please get to work with the transportation, and help me remember how long ago that blissful afternoon in the bookstore was..."

"Ah yes, the Isle," Corso nodded, "I'm hardly surprised the Inquisition would hold on to something like that. They have a habit of hoarding relics and weapons they have no means of utilizing, much less understanding..."

His eyes widened. "Wait, you are preparing the portals now? Nox, do you intend to attack the Isle this evening? Directly after your attack on the city?"

Zanzi purred, but didn't hide her reluctance to be away from her master. She did do as she was commanded and began to work on the portal that would lead them to their destination. Being that it was a fair distance, and she'd never personally been there, it would take a bit more time than normal. The runes on her dark skin lit up a light purple-ish hue, and the air in front of her would shimmer slightly. "It has only been a few short, blissful months, Master." She said, her tail flicking slightly.

Her violet hues came to rest back on Corso, a hint of irritation flaring in the look she gave him.

"Of course?" The she-devil took the risk and answered for her master. "And you're going with him." She added before turning back to her work.

Nox could only laugh, richly deep and bellowing. "Why would I not, Corso? My power grows with every innocent soul I feed upon. At this very moment, I'm stronger than I have ever been. I mean to use these collected spirits to reclaim what is mine. Alek. You are sure the information you received is correct? If we tear this fortress asunder, and I find nothing but the relics of impotent gods and Light-spawned drivel, I will be rather cross with you."

It was then that the Caer realized just how nude he was. It was times like these that made him miss his white leather duster. It still pained him that it had been lost in the attack on the family manor. It had been a gift from Avacyn, and one of his most prized possessions. "Zanzi, love. Could you conjure me up some pants? Something nice, in white if you could. And don't pressure the old man. Hes new to the family. If he doesn't want to come along...Well, thats his choice."

Corso scowled. "I'll not sit by and pitter about while you raid one of the most secure fortresses on the continent." He looked at Nox. "Had I not just seen you lay waste to Valentine Park, I would call you mad. Well. More mad than I already thought you were."

He reached into his jacket and procured two vials - one blue, one white. "I remind you that I am a scientist, Nox. My skills lies in strategy and preparation, not impromptu violence. Had you given me a few days - had you given me six hours, I could have made something to help us." He downed the first, then the second, and wiped his mouth. "As it stands, I think I can still be useful to you." He smirked. "As long as you can provide me with a corpse or two."

Zanzi pouted in a playfully disappointed way before doing as he bid. He would find himself half clothed now, his lower part in a spotless pair of white pants.

"I'm sorry, my master." She stated, her tail flicking as she gave the old man a look.

Alek cracked his knuckles. "Yeah, yeah. Can you get a move on?" He said, sounding impatient.

Zanzi pouted genuinely this time, muttering under her breath irritably. "Can you get a move on.." She uttered barely audible, mocking the other vampire. The rest of her grumblings, she kept to herself although it was evident he had touched a nerve. Within a few more minutes though, the sound of ripping throbbed through the air, and a portal stood gaping in front of them.

Nox would only smile a truly horrendous smile, wrapping his arms around the demoness he treasured so much, planting a kiss on the back of her neck. "Ah...Wonderful work, darling. You prove your worth more with each passing day." Releasing her from his grip, he'd make his way to the front of the group, standing just before the portal. "Don't worry about the corpses, you old man. There will be plenty."

The Caer's skin would begin to turn ashen, peel and crack. His jaw would distend, revealing row after row of fangs ranging in size from 'normal' to larger than steak knives. Pale blue eyes would roll into the back of his head, replaced by piercing cobalt deadlights. "Watch that first step, my friends. It'll be a doozy."

And with that, Nox dove into the void...

Corso's mouth was a thin, bloodless line.

"I imagine so."

The necromancer stepped into the portal.

Alek grunted, knowing what was to come. A small grin spread across his face as he rushed towards the portal, diving head first into it.

Zanzi hesitated for the briefest of moments, unsure she would follow. In the end, it was her own ambitions that made her follow after her master. As she melted into the shadows of her own portal, the seam would seal with the smallest of 'pop'.

Back