Chronicles of The Omniverse Archived Lutetia City: Luskonios

"Jimmy," Arien reached out and caught Jimmy's hand as he started to make his way towards the group of aristocrats. He gently pulled to try and bring the proselyte back towards him - closely, if Jimmy let it happen. "What is it?" he asked, his voice gentle and soothing. The last thing they needed was to cause a scene here, and draw the attention of the more perceptive members of the crowd. His eyes wandered past Jimmy to Virn and his companions, as he too tuned in on their conversation - too late to hear the remark on Jimmy's father, however.

Al followed their gaze too, and scowled. "Isn't that the guy that ... your dad, right? He backed salt-pile up on punching Val, too."

"Virn. Ugh," Élisa rolled her eyes. "I think only Selene herself could draw free the stick he has lodged in his ass."

"Ah," Arien's eyes narrowed slightly. "Him." He could understand the surge of anger he'd detected in Jimmy, now. "If you'd like," the vampire offered, turning back to face Jimmy and lifting a hand to brush comfortingly through his hair with a small, inviting smile. "I'm sure we could find some way for you to take revenge without drawing undue attention."

"When the time comes, I have faith he will make the right decision," Arianne glanced towards the boy, then back towards Florianne. She finished her drink, simply placing it on the nearest flat surface. Someone would clean it up eventually. "I apologize for letting the topic stray to something so heavy, but I'm afraid I should get going. Don't want to miss the others while they're here, no?" The witch's expression brightened a little, though not drastically.

Unless the necromancer stopped her, she would depart and drift through the crowds towards the Gesataias.

"These paladins often face things the rest of us would rather die than even lay eyes upon," Roxanne's voice proved stern, though her expression did not reflect that. It was likely worthless to even attempt to drive any sort of decency or discretion into Tina, though the alternative would likely fare for the worse.

She glanced to Aislin when the botox-nightmare mentioned her, offering a small nod to the word 'paladin'. "Assigned a while ago by the church to watch over me, and I guess they haven't changed their mind yet," Allard provided as much information as possible while revealing as little as possible. Tina was clearly someone that was much more dangerous with information than just about anyone else.

The knight that stood alongside lady Allard still found herself distanced from the conversation, rather unaware that the topic had drifted to her. Words fell on deaf, or rather distracted, ears as her gaze had found something to settle on, her eyes boring into a young man as he approached their small congregation to Virn's rear. Subconsciously her spare hand slipped from her back and came to rest on her blade's hilt, gripping it slightly, hoping, but not afraid, to draw the weapon and discard her drink. What was the loss of a glass compared to the loss of a patron? A worthy trade, if she'd ever heard one. Only as some other figure came about on the young man, working perhaps to distract him, did the paladin ease in her guard, though her spare hand still rested on the weapon upon her hip, and the words of those beside her finally occur to the woman.

"Lord, lady." Aislin bowed to the two nobles as her eyes drifted away from Jimmy and back to those in her immediate vicinity, once Roxanne had tentatively introduced her.

Bernadette offered Kurtrin a farewell before storming over to her husband.

"Really, Theodore?" she frowned, "you couldn't have been civil? Couldn't have made small talk or tried to appear polite?"

"There is no such thing as 'small talk' with that man, Bernadette. Not for me at least," he lifted his glass back to his lips, "I will not dishonor him by hiding my intentions. Either he sees me for what I am, or he doesn't see me at all."

"He's a hero. A second father to you-"

"He's marginally useful," Theo quipped, glaring at his wife, "I admit, I care for him on a sentimental level, but at the end of the day he is only worth as much as what he contributes to the future of this city. I would prefer to see him live, but if he's determined to suicide himself against our foe, so be it." He watched Kurtrin leave, eyes locked on the paladin's back. "I will not put on a mask before him for the sake of tradition or some archaic debt I owe him for raising me. We are what we are." A small, amused smirk. "Let the Light decide which is more worthy."

He turned from his wife.

---

Virn frowned at Tina's exultation. "It was an... unfortunate occurrence." He cleared his throat. "I take no pleasure in killing citizens of this city, werewolf or no. Mad dogs must be put down, plain and simple."

"He was tearing up the park, wasn't he, Jonas?" Tina fawned, "why, I heard he murdered a dozen people before-"

"Not half so many, madame," Virn retorted quickly, voice quiet but firm, "but yes, he was a public menace. I performed my duty and would do it again."

"There was ah... ehh.. a bit of hubbub afterwards, wasn't there?" Quincy squinted, "citizens clamoring for 'Garoux' lives and whatnot. Protests and all that."

"I do not answer to the mobs, sir," Jonas replied, "only to the state, my Order, and my God. They may judge me. No other."

The feel of Arien’s hand touching his was enough to snap him out of his current mindset, at least for the moment. He stopped moving and glanced back towards Virn before stepping back over towards the Vampire, allowing himself to be tugged in close. It was strange how relaxed Arien made him feel, but he truly didn’t mind. “Yeah… Al… yeah.” Jimmy shook his head, fighting between anger and sorrow, neither emotion quite winning the battle. He did manage to laugh at Elisa’s comment, head bobbing in agreement.

“Might need a tow truck to yank it out.” Jimmy snorted, though he did manage to keep from looking back over towards Virn. Arien’s fingers running through his hair helped immensely and the anger slowly left him, though not completely. If he were a beast, he would definitely be purring at the touch. Immediately intrigued by the final comment Arien made, the Proselyte mused a moment before cracking a grin. “I’d like that. I hope he stays away from me tonight… I can’t deal.”

"Oh, don't you dare, Abel," reprimanded Coralie. "Something has worried you. That might mean I need to tanieke interest, too. I'd like to think we're friends now, Abel. That means I'm not going to let you brush me off."

Coralie gave Abel a soft, understanding smile. "I won't alert anyone else if that's not your intention. Promise."

As Arianne drew close, she caught the attention of Casimir and Elaine. The couple turned, greeting her with smiles. "And look who it is! It's been a minute, hasn't it, Arianne?" said Casimir, holding a hand out for hers. "What a pleasure it is to see you again."

Absolon clenched his hand tightly in defiance against this magical force he felt against his hand. He scowled at the witch. "Wrong? That is yet to be seen. I do notice you've taken an interest in my niece and her guest," observed Absolon.

"I just," Abel looked around him again, scanning each face that seemed to be even marginally looking his way, eventually looking back to Coralie, "There was someone watching me, I don't know who they were. I was nervous, that's all." He clutched his satchel with one hand instinctively, as if to fend off unseen hands from taking the prized contents. "I should just stop worrying about it, they're probably looking at my clothes or maybe someone behind me," while his head remained still, his pupils still raced around their orbits, though each time they met Duval's, their scurrying slowed with each pass. Eventually, his gaze rested on her eyes.

"Maybe the alcohol could help," Lachapelle's hand drifted from his bag while the other raised the glass of cider to his lips.

"It has!" Arianne's expression lit up with greeting both Casimir and Elaine, extending her hand out to meet the former's. "It's a great relief to finally see the lot of you again," Fabre plucked a glass of white wine from a passing server and took a drink, "We don't travel out to Tiranoth regularly enough. A bit of a change, is it not, associating amongst the living again?" Her last statement offered a smirk and a wink.

Tethys tilted her head slightly at the growing anger flowing from Absolon. Behind the fixed ceramic grin the witch also smiled herself. The Duval was devolving into a child throwing a tantrum at her, and she loved it. "I did not realize they were your kin, my apologies," a lie, though not entirely. "I have taken interest in them, because they are interesting. You are interesting too," Fabre tilted her head down towards his cane. Some sort of barrier, for a curse or some such. Then, she looked back up at him. The mask's expression was nearly mocking at this point. She saw something within, something held back. Candidates for what that might have been slowly removed themselves from her mind.

This family was proving more intriguing than she'd thought.

Snowfall​

Winter gales howled through the all-but-vacant streets of Luskonios, both the bitter cold and late hours having long cleared the narrow avenues. Street lamps stood guard to cast their light and push back the dark. Banks of snow glittered in both moon and lamplight, as if to imitation of the canvas of stars above. A pair of heels clicked on the rare patches of ground that were not already dusted with the first snowfall. The harsh chill of the Genarium did not bother Aurelie Lacroix anymore, her flesh and bone had grown numb to winter’s bite. Less and less did the spark of life warm her.

Her dear betrothed had recounted what he saw of the child, her child. For once, he approved of her, no, loved her, she had finally won his approval. Yet, Lacroix felt no such pride. In its stead, she saw only doubt. Would she be able to love and nurture what Nox saw? Would she be able to silence its harrowing cry in the night?

Some part of her hoped she would never have to answer that question.

To distract herself from the thought Aurelie turned her attention towards the looming mansions that dominated the local real estate. Metal gates and manicured gardens seemed largely immaculate despite the winter months, clearly the work of master groundskeepers. She could only assume her own kin have kept their land at least half as well.

Again she found herself walking, this time away from the glamorous homes of the elite. She stopped at a church, noticing a warm glow from within the stained glass windows. Lacroix rapped her knuckles against the oaken door a few times.

“Come in,” a voice called from inside.

She pushed against the heavy doors and entered, closing them behind her with great care. A man sat in one of the pews closer to the central lectern on the far end of the room. He bore the garb of an Evequist priest, and a warm smile as he turned back to look at his guest.

“It’s late. Why aren’t you celebrating this pleasant Genarium?” He raised an eyebrow.

“It felt more pertinent to come here, to confess my sins.” She turned her gaze to the floor and folded her hands in her lap. “I have lost my way in following the Wick’s light.” Aurelie’s lips loosened to impart more and more to the priest, first speaking of her husband-to-be. She told tales of her many years of work with the church, the horrors she’d seen both long ago and over the recent months. She even recounted her concerns about the child, the priest remained silent, and listened. After the better part of several hours, Lacroix finished her last rambling thought.

“I should go, I apologize for keeping you so long,” she stood up, prompting the man to also stand.

“No no, you were right to come here. There are things weighing on your heart, and you chose to confide them with me.” The pair pushed open the heavy doors and wandered along the sidewalk. Beside them lay a small empty lot, dominated by a single gnarled tree, mighty and ancient.

“Tell me,” the priest placed a hand on Aurelie’s shoulder, “Is it all true?”

“Yes.”

“Is Winter coming for us all?”

“No,” A flash of steel accompanied her words. He clutched his throat in vain. The sanguine spray painted the ground beneath the mighty oak, a bouquet of roses offered to a grave. Before all went dark, he saw her face, alabaster as the very snowfall around him.

”Not for me.”​

"I just," Abel looked around him again, scanning each face that seemed to be even marginally looking his way, eventually looking back to Coralie, "There was someone watching me, I don't know who they were. I was nervous, that's all." He clutched his satchel with one hand instinctively, as if to fend off unseen hands from taking the prized contents. "I should just stop worrying about it, they're probably looking at my clothes or maybe someone behind me," while his head remained still, his pupils still raced around their orbits, though each time they met Duval's, their scurrying slowed with each pass. Eventually, his gaze rested on her eyes.

"Maybe the alcohol could help," Lachapelle's hand drifted from his bag while the other raised the glass of cider to his lips.

Coralie glanced behind her as Abel spoke, trying to find anyone in the crowd who's eyes continued to linger. Finding no one special, she gave her full attention back to the young proselyte. A shadow of concern crossed her features. "There are some people here tonight who are... different from the usual crowd. I have nothing against them, but I don't know much about them, either. That's concerning, to say the least."

Moreso, the sheer number of magically adept persons in the room worried her. She spent a good amount of time being careful around these people under Absolon's caution. Magic folk would be curious about her enchanted hairpin and his walking stick. An old, Eveq family like her own wasn't known to delve into the arcane, even if they had been doing it for hundreds of years.

Coralie's eyes dropped. This party might be more significant than she had originally thought.

"It has!" Arianne's expression lit up with greeting both Casimir and Elaine, extending her hand out to meet the former's. "It's a great relief to finally see the lot of you again," Fabre plucked a glass of white wine from a passing server and took a drink, "We don't travel out to Tiranoth regularly enough. A bit of a change, is it not, associating amongst the living again?" Her last statement offered a smirk and a wink.

Arianne's comment was met with a snicker from Elaine and a silent laugh from Casimir. "Indeed, but not unpleasant! We're all so popular tonight. You'd think we were celebrity guests with all the attention," he spoke, glancing around the room. They had certainly earned a few stares.

"It's just too bad no one wishes to do anything more than leer in our direction. They need to take a few lessons from their host," mumbled Elaine.

Tethys tilted her head slightly at the growing anger flowing from Absolon. Behind the fixed ceramic grin the witch also smiled herself. The Duval was devolving into a child throwing a tantrum at her, and she loved it. "I did not realize they were your kin, my apologies," a lie, though not entirely. "I have taken interest in them because they are interesting. You are interesting too," Fabre tilted her head down towards his cane. Some sort of barrier, for a curse or some such. Then, she looked back up at him. The mask's expression was nearly mocking at this point. She saw something within, something held back. Candidates for what that might have been slowly removed themselves from her mind.

This family was proving more intriguing than she'd thought.

"Oh, I can't imagine why," said the priest facetiously. "There are more things worth your time, I'm sure."

Coralie glanced behind her as Abel spoke, trying to find anyone in the crowd who's eyes continued to linger. Finding no one special, she gave her full attention back to the young proselyte. A shadow of concern crossed her features. "There are some people here tonight who are... different from the usual crowd. I have nothing against them, but I don't know much about them, either. That's concerning, to say the least."

Moreso, the sheer number of magically adept persons in the room worried her. She spent a good amount of time being careful around these people under Absolon's caution. Magic folk would be curious about her enchanted hairpin and his walking stick. An old, Eveq family like her own wasn't known to delve into the arcane, even if they had been doing it for hundreds of years.

Coralie's eyes dropped. This party might be more significant than she had originally thought.

"I feel kinda out of place here, I guess. All these rich important people around," Abel glanced around again, but found his vision drifting back to Coralie. He really was noticing that he was taking a liking to her, and could only hope that at least a little of that would be returned. At the very least, her presence calmed him somewhat.

Arianne's comment was met with a snicker from Elaine and a silent laugh from Casimir. "Indeed, but not unpleasant! We're all so popular tonight. You'd think we were celebrity guests with all the attention," he spoke, glancing around the room. They had certainly earned a few stares.

"It's just too bad no one wishes to do anything more than leer in our direction. They need to take a few lessons from their host," mumbled Elaine.

"As is to be expected," Arianne took a sip from her drink, "Our great city is experiencing some, er, complications, and right now we could stand to take some advice from Tiranoth." The witch also would have liked some direct intervention from the necromancer state, but that was all but impossible, the Fabres had nowhere near that level of pull.

"Many of them might fear you're going to sacrifice their children or something," Fabre flashed a smirk, "what say you in your defense?" She could barely keep her laughter in.

"Oh, I can't imagine why," said the priest facetiously. "There are more things worth your time, I'm sure."

"Time is only valuable to those that are running out of it, Father Duval," Tethys cocked her head slightly at an angle, "and let me tell you, I have more than enough time."

Cling cling cling

The sound of a silver fork on a crystal glass, delicate as it was, somehow chimed above the droning ambience of the party. Guests began to gather in the main atria where Bernadette and Theodore Arodring stood on a balcony overlooking the masses. Flutes of champagne sparkled in their hands.

"Happy Genarium, friends," Bernadette raised her glass.

The cheerful crowd replied in chorus.

"I hope you have been enjoying your evening thus far."

They laughed their approval, already half drunk. Someone in the back gargled, "where y'hiding the beer?"

Bernadette smiled. "Before we head into the hall and begin dinner, I believe a toast is in order."

She conceded to Theodore. The Arodring patriarch loomed above the guests, tall and dark in his black inquisitor's uniform. His brows drew over dark eyes, swathed in shadow.

"I look around," his deep voice carried through the whole house, "and I see friends and family from all walks of life, gathered here tonight in union as humans. As Lutetians." The ghost of a grin cracked his stone face. "How curious that we should be here tonight in warmth and comfort. Us. Humans. How curious that we should be the inheritors of this beautiful land, its caretakers and rulers, when dozens of far more powerful creatures, monsters with the strength of gods, have laid claim to the very stone this house is built on. The fact is that we humans, we pitiful little bags of brittle bone and weak flesh, possess a strength undreamed of. In the winter to come, I urge all of you to remember the two defining characteristics of our species which have seen us through cataclysms that would have eradicated lesser races."

His eyes coursed the room, dark and brooding. They met the faces of the Gesataias, the Castellanes. "The first is courage - that singular virtue endowed by the Wick which emboldens man to untold heights of altruism and valor. It is through courage, through the acknowledgement and mastery of fear, that we deign to push onward, to move forward, to look our many-faced monsters in the eye and tell them, 'no. You run.'" A slight pause. His gaze passed over the Voclains, the Duvals. "The second is cooperation - without which courage is a vainglorious whisper on the lips of the dead. Humanity's ability to look past one another's differences and work together is the only reason we've come this far. It is how we survived the Great Darkness, guided by Selene - how we fought off the Barrows, the Golems, the Caers. In its hour of need, mankind has always risen above its own pettiness and striven to realize a fundamental human truth: we are stronger together. Stronger than all evil, all darkness, all ruin. Stronger than the hungering Wyrm itself. Courage and cooperation. Carry these virtues in your hearts this winter, my brothers and sisters. The Light shall overcome."

He raised his glass. The chandelier light glittered in the golden champagne.

"To Lutetia City!"

They cheered and drank.

"Now. Let's eat."

(Written by Script and Ronin)

Val hadn't immediately guided Inarin over towards his brother and other friends once they'd picked up their drinks, instead pausing with the younger boy at the edge of the room, a fair distance from any other company. Inarin gave him a questioning look, glancing in the direction of their friends. "Are we not going to go see Arien and Jimmy?"

Unable to keep himself from grinning at the fact that In was so plainly following his lead, Val shrugged. "We can if you want," he said. "But I thought you might prefer a little time out of the spotlight, before we go and mingle with the high-energy crowd. Even I find our little clique a touch overwhelming at times."

Inarin laughed, finding it difficult to imagine the Castellane boy being overwhelmed by social interaction in any form. "Oh... thanks, I ... would be okay, though. I don't want to keep you from socialising."

"Your company's more than enough for me, In," Val said with a softer smile, putting an affectionate hand on the proselyte's arm and prompting a light blush. "There's plenty of party left. We can join the crowd later. How often have we had the chance to talk, just the two of us, after all?"

Blush deepening, Inarin looked away with a bashful smile. "Ah... not th-that often, I guess. There was the time at ... at the Aurellae? Th-that was ... nice."

"So, we should do it more often, right?" Val laughed. "Aw, you're so cute when you're flustered."

Of course, this only served to make Inarin go redder. Which was exactly what Val had been going for.

The two boys would have some time to speak together, but not long. Bernadette Arodring noted the both of them from afar as she exited a nearby hallway, swiftly altering her course to intercept them. She'd been looking for a moment to talk to Inarin without Florianne nearby. It seemed her chance had come.

"Ah, Master Castellane and proselyte Nuvellon. I was wondering where you two had gotten off to." She gestured to the deeper house. "Dinner will be starting soon. We should start moving towards the banquet hall." Her eyes locked on Inarin. "...though perhaps you might accompany me for a moment, Inarin? I was just going to get some silverware from the kitchen, and I could use an extra set of hands." She smiled. "If a proselyte cannot help me, I'm not sure who can."

If Val had rolled his eyes any harder they'd have fallen out. That was the thing about the Church's aristocracy, they had an insufferable habit of just appearing to poke their noses in at the most inconvenient of times. "Surely it's poor form to ask a guest for help with hosting, Mademoiselle?" The Castellane boy turned a well-practised and patently false smile on Bernadette. "Inarin is my guest tonight, after all, not simply a proselyte. Are you running that short on serving staff? Times must indeed be hard..."

Inarin blinked, glancing between the two of them with a slight panic. "Ah... I- I don't mind, Val. There's no need to ... uh..." No need to offend their host quite so thoroughly, he wanted to say, but he had a feeling that would only exacerbate the situation.

"I do though. I didn't bring you here to be commandeered for a servant's tasks," Val hummed thoughtfully, and raised a knowing eyebrow in Bernadette's direction. "Or for whatever they may be an excuse for."

Fetching silverware? There were some things one didn't ask their guests to do, proselyte or nay, at a gala like this. It was a transparent ploy to get Inarin alone, and Val was more than a little intrigued as to what the reason for it might be.

A patient smile cracked Bernadette's lips - perhaps even a bit pleased. It'd been nothing but pleasantries and laughs all night. A bit of fire was a welcome change.

"My apologies, Master Castellane. I meant no offense in commandeering your guest for a couple of minutes," she touched two fingers to her lips and bowed, "of course, seeing as how it is your first time as my guest, you should know that no request made upon friends or family by anyone within this household is designed to be demeaning. We are a family here - we work together out of the common courtesy and mutual respect which binds kin." A small, amused chuckle. "Why, I do believe Monsieur Lafevret and my own son, Sir Arodring, will be helping with the dishes after our meal."

She glanced at Inarin. "I completely understand if you're otherwise occupied, Inarin. If you have but two minutes to spare, I would very much appreciate the help."

She looked back to Val. "Or should I ask Monsieur Castellane instead? He seems to be the one making the decisions tonight."

While the exchange may have been jarring for Inarin, this simple sparring match as likely a common occurrence among the two nobles - if not with each other, then with other Lutetia aristocrats. The upper class of the city were daily embroiled in subtle power struggles, many of which lasted no longer than the expanse of a conversation...

Val chuckled. "Well, I certainly shan't be doing that. Forgive my misinterpretation. We tend to leave such duties to the people we pay for them, and build our familial bonds through rather less menial exercises. Ah well. The different worlds we live in." The young heir shrugged. "You do what you want, In, of course. What do I know of the unusual traditions of church families?"

Inarin winced slightly as the two exchanged subtle barbs. "Uhm, it's fine, Val. I ... I'll only be a moment. I really don't mind, and I'll be right back. Ah... save me a spot?"

The older boy suppressed a sigh, instead smiling to Inarin. "Sure. I'll be waiting," he said, before leaning across to place a peck on Inarin's cheek, then turning to walk off in the direction of the hall.

As ever, Inarin flushed brightly, taking a few moments to collect himself before he was able to make eye contact with Bernadette again. "Ah ... l-lead the way, Mademoiselle."

"Thank you, Inarin."

The two detoured from the main event. Bernadette led Inarin through long hallways decorated with ornate tables, family heirlooms and festive flower arrangements. The walls were hung with large, gorgeous paintings of ancestors past - handsome but grim faced, each bearing the trademark sandy blonde hair and green eyes of an Arodring.

"I'm pleased to see you're getting along with Master Castellane," Bernadette said as they walked, "the future of the city rests in the hands of young men such as he." She smiled. "Young men like you, Inarin. I'm sure you know this already."

They rounded a corner. Moonlight spilled from a glass window, frosted with chill and snow.

"...he's a bit... touchy, isn't he?" she hummed, "physically, I mean. Most try and keep a perimeter aground members of the Monastic Order. He doesn't seem to mind."

Inarin blushed, rubbing at the back of his neck and avoiding eye contact. "Ah... no, he doesn't. I f-feel like there's not much that would ah ... deter him from something once he's decided he ... that it's a thing. Social norms ... wouldn't be one of the things that would."

He shrugged, then, smiling faintly. "But... yes, I do enjoy his company... even if it's ah... unconventional."

"I'm happy that you do," Bernadette replied. A coy smile teased her lips. "And come - I am not with the Monastery. I know a thing or two about what you proselytes do behind closed doors." A quiet scoff. "Believe me, whatever you've done isn't half as bad as what Robert pulled when he was in the academy."

They came to a small, secluded dining room.

"Besides, he'll be your colleague one day - both of them, actually, the Castellanes. It's important for Evequist families to maintain good ties with the other noble houses in the city. I'm pleased they've found a friend like you, Inarin. If anyone can be a good influence on those boys, it's you."

She opened the cupboard doors and began loading plate into her arms. There was a long pause, then...

"...I trust your proselyte training is going well?"

Inarin flushed again at Bernadette's reference to 'behind closed doors' at the Monastery, and couldn't help but speculate as to what she meant about Robert's misdemeanours. Until recently Inarin had been sorely sheltered from the more ... colourful side of proselyte life, and lived in the misguided belief that everyone actually followed the rules.

"I ... suppose so," he said, smiling faintly with respect to being called a 'good influence' on Val and his brother. It was almost certainly the inverse. "And ah, yes, Mademoiselle. I ... I've been improving a lot, lately ... I think, anyway."

The proselyte hovered in readiness to take whatever Bernadette needed him to carry in hand.

"It is a noble task you've undertaken," Bernadette set aside a stack, reaching for dining ware in the back of the cupboard, "though I confess, sometimes I wonder if such a burden ought to be yours. "I felt the same way when Robert joined the Order with his fathers blessing. He was supposed to continue the Arodring name - to wield the full extent of his namesake's wealth and prestige to create a safer, brighter city." She began laying plates in his arms.

"I am proud of my sons accomplishments, but I must wonder what might have been - if he could have effected more change in the city with his family's recourses than without."

Inarin frowned faintly at Bernadette's words, staying quiet for several long moments before he responded. "I... don't th-think I would have been any good at ah ... politics even ... even if I hadn't become a proselyte," he said, smiling weakly.

Bernadette smiled. "Not quite politics, Inarin. As you know, none of us have held true political authority since the days of the old theocracy. The power we wield nowadays is far more subtle... but no less important."

She transferred another pile of plates. They came up to about his chest. "Allocating recourses. Supporting causes. Funding charities and putting your weight behind the issues that are important to you. The 'noble' families of Lutetia may not officially rule the city any longer, but virtually nothing of consequence is done here, politically or no, without someone from one of our namesakes supporting it. The Arodrings. The Lacroixs. The Castellanes. The Nuvellons. These names mean something. They built this city, and their industry, their values, sustain it. While the paladins fight monsters and criminals in the streets, we fight other battles - the ones which, ultimately, decide the fate of the Lutetia."

There was another pause as Inarin mused over her words. It was true, upon taking the silver he forfeited the fortune that he would otherwise inherit from his parents - paladins were not permitted to be bound by material possessions in such a way. Though he'd never involved himself much in his parents' business, he was not so blind as to have been unaware of the ways they used their money. By the time he broke his silence, the full load of plates had been placed in his arms.

"Th-there are certainly a lot of places I could ... could see myself wanting to try and use that influence, but ..." Another pause, and a thoughtful frown. "With all due respect, Mademoiselle, Lutetia doesn't need more aristocrats and investment now. M-maybe in the long term, yes... but right now the city needs people standing on the front line, to make sure that the long term survives at all. What good will my family's name be if the city that they built lies in ruins? None at all. It would be easy to say that others could take my place, that I ought consider the future more... but I can't in good conscience plan for that future whilst doing nothing to protect it."

Inarin smiled again, the somewhat bashful expression a stark contrast to the conviction in his words. "Aunt Florianne spoke to me of this as well, last week, but I'm afraid that my mind is made up. My place is to stand between our city and the darkness that comes for it even as we speak, not to step back and let others fight for me. I've had enough of relying on other people."

Bernadette nodded. She knew what 'threats' Inarin referred to.

"The choice remains yours," she said, "though you are a proselytes still. Who knows? Perhaps this darkness will pass before you take the silver and you will have more room to consider your future."

She took a stack of plates in her own arms.

"You've said you have made up your mind - all I ask of you is that you allow yourself to think a bit more about this decision. It can be difficult sometimes - to see where our duties lie. To understand the sacrifices we must make in the name of a greater good."

She stared down at something on one of the plates. The moonlight caught the green glint of her eyes as she turned and frosted her glare.

"Living can be harder than dying. Sitting behind a desk may more agonizing, more important, than wielding a blade. Some who may have the strength to stand on their own must, by their own volition, deny it. Some who would be lions must tear their own fangs out to spare the sheep. Such is the price of duty."

She gestured for him to follow. "Thank you for your help. Come - we must return to the dinner."

Inarin lingered for a few moments longer after Bernadette set off back towards the main hall. The proselyte watched after her with a thoughtful frown. Her words hadn't changed his mind - he still believed that his duty was to stand between Nox and the city, at his brother's side, not to keep himself or his family name safe - but they were worthy of consideration.

Florianne had spoken not of his duty as a Nuvellon, but suggested that his talents might be better suited to protecting the city from another side of its defences. Those that could better harness his mind, as opposed to his sword-arm. Even Val had spoken to him about stepping away from the front lines of the coming conflict... albeit for more selfish (and more than a little sweet) reasons.

Why was it that just after he'd found his resolve, so many people seemed determined to shake it?

Sighing, the proselyte shook his head and started after Bernadette. Tonight, it seemed, would be another night of restless thoughts and doubting.

Smoke still billowed up in gouts across the city's skyline as the Castellane's car pulled into their estate's driveway. The drive from the park had been fraught with tension, as their route diverted them away from several more bomb sites between the cinders of the Aurellae and home. There'd been no trouble, though all parties had seemed to expect it, and little in the way of conversation had been exchanged. Blood threatened to stain the leather of the seats in more than one place.

As the car came to a halt outside the front doors of the house, they swung open, and Damien Castellane swept outside. A group of suited security guards - more of whom had been visible patrolling the grounds and had identified them at the gates - moved out with him, taking up vantage points and watching the perimeter. Adam was the first to step out of the car. "Mr. Castellane, sir," he began, only to be swiftly cut off.

"The boys, are they with you? Are they hurt?"

"They're here, sir, they're-"

Again, the bodyguard was interrupted, this time by Damien brushing past him to where the back door of the car was being opened. When Arien was the one that emerged - dried blood matted in his hair, his clothes torn and blood covered, the elder Castellane took a sharp intake of breath. "God, Arien, you're-"

"I'm alright," Arien shook his head tiredly, trying to wave off the concern. "We all are."

Val followed Arien out of the car then, just as bloody as the vampire was. He barely had a chance to open his mouth to speak before Damien had rushed forwards and pulled him into a hug. "Oh- hey dad," he mumbled wearily, managing a half smile.

"What in god's name happened to you?" Damien exclaimed, stepping back after a moment to look over him with a horrified expression. "That's not your blood, is it?"

"No," Val shook his head, looking briefly reticent. "There were... lots of people were hurt, we tried to help." It wasn't the most convincing lie he'd ever told. The image of Al bleeding out, stomach ripped open, was seared too firmly in his mind's eye for that. But apparently it was enough.

"You should have gotten out of there right away," his father hissed. "It's not your job to do that sort of thing, you could have been killed!" He paused, then, realising the conspicuous absence of Al - who would normally have been mere moments behind his brother. "Where's Al?"

Val cringed slightly. "He's... unconscious. He got ... he hit his head. He's okay, though,"

Paling slightly, Damien tried to step around to get a better view, but at that point Yuri stepped out of the car, lifting the unconscious Al with him. By now, Elisa and the other bodyguards had stepped out too, but Damien paid them little mind. "How badly did his hit his head? How do you know he's okay?"

"Can we please go inside, dad?" Val grimaced. He wasn't going to be able to keep the truth from their father. He wasn't an idiot. But it wasn't a conversation he wanted to have here and now.

Damien, for a moment, looked like he was going to refuse - but looking over the group, in their varying states of injury and bloodiness, he decided against it. "Alright. Everyone, come inside."

As the group started to make their way into the building, Arien fell back from where Val was keeping pace with his father and Yuri, joining Adrian, Jimmy and Elisa. "Didn't get much of a chance to ask back at the park," he said quietly. "Are you guys okay?"

Jimmy wanted nothing more than to get to their destination, shower, change clothes, and not think about everything that had happened since that morning. He tried not to think about what had happened to Al and was still unable to figure out how the male had survived what Nox had done to him. Exhaling silently, he clenched his eyes shut and ignored any conversation that happened to occur. When they pulled up to the house, he remained where he was at for the moment, wishing he had a father that cared about his well being like Al and Val did. Pushing out that thought, he finally slid out of the vehicle once everyone else had slid out and ran his fingers through his hair, following along with the others. He shifted his gaze towards Arien and merely shrugged, not really sure if he was okay or not.

"I didn't ... I couldn't ... I tried. I'm sorry. I tried my best to keep them safe. I failed them, you, and Mia..." His voice wavered and grew even more quiet than it had been at the beginning of his response. Jimmy felt his eyes welling up with tears and he fought to keep them from spilling, hating how worthless he felt at that moment.

Adrian partially resembled a scared toy dog as he exited the vehicle, shaking and eyes racing from one place to another. Being in the presence of familiar faces helped to a certain extent, but he never strayed more than a few feet from another person. "If by okay you mean that people were dying all over and I happened to not be one of them, then yeah, I'm okay," he snapped back in an uncharacteristically agitated fashion. Even if the vast majority of the casualties were complete strangers, he still remained on the verge of breaking down.

Arien pursed his lips at Adrian's response. "Yeah, maybe a poor choice of words," he muttered, sighing and reaching over to place a reassuring hand on the other boy's arm. "But what matters right now is that we're all alive," just about, "and safe here."

Elisa nodded hurriedly, hugging her arms to her chest and clenching her fists. "Yeah, we're... we're fine now. All that... it's all terrible, what happened, but..." she trailed off, not wanting to voice what she was thinking: that now they were safe, she was just happy that nobody she cared about had died. Sure, it was awful that so many people had died, but it was just ... hard to get your head around. They were just names and faces she didn't know. She wouldn't miss them.

At Jimmy's answer, Arien turned to face him with a sympathetic frown. "It's fine, Jimmy, you... there's nothing you could have done against him. There was nothing I could do," he grimaced at the memory, being tossed aside like a ragdoll without a care. It should have worked. He'd put everything into that compulsion, and he'd felt it take hold. But then there'd been something else, something beyond Nox, that wrested control back with complete ease. He'd definitely think twice before trying anything like that again. "It's not your fault by any stretch, so don't go acting like it is, yeah?"

It wasn't long before the group as a whole were hurriedly ushered into the entrance hall. Damien had been making as though to call an ambulance for Alvere, but Val had managed to talk him down from that idea - insisting that they needed to talk first, and that Al would be fine. Once they were inside, the security guards closed the doors behind them and they were locked. Damien turned to the group, then, giving them a once over before speaking. "All of you are welcome to stay here for as long as you need," he said. "There are bathrooms for you to clean up, and if you talk to one of the maids, they'll be able to find you some clothes if you want to change out of those."

He gave a nod, then turned and briskly walked on through further into the house. As he left, Val walked over to the others, lowering his voice so that only they - and not the guards in the room - could hear him. "Hey. I need to... I'm going to talk to dad about what happened. Arien, I... he's going to find out, I can't keep it from him. He'll insist on examining Al with his magic once he finds out the Caer did this."

Arien grimaced, running a hand through his hair. "Figures. Fuck." The vampire sighed, biting his lip fretfully. If Damien found out and spilled the beans, it put him, Elisa and Jimmy all in a lot of danger - and not just from the paladins.

"I don't think he'll tell anyone," Val cut in quickly. "I mean, I think I can persuade him not to. If he does, he's putting Al in as much danger as he is you. And he won't do that, not if I convince him that you've been doing everything you can to protect us."

"If you can't persuade him, we're... well, fucked, to put it lightly," Arien muttered.

"You saved Al's life, Arien," Val said, stepping in closer to wrap the vampire in a clingy hug. "I'm not going to let anything bad happen to you because of it. I'll make sure he's on side. Him and mother both."

Arien managed a smile at that, returning the hug. "Yeah, well. You'd better, or else we'll all have to disappear into the night, never to be seen again."

Val smirked, flicking Arien's fringe teasingly. "We definitely can't have that," he murmured. After a moment, though, his smile faded again. "Alright. I'm going to go talk to him." He stepped away, raising his voice slightly as he called over to Yuri. "Yuri, bring Al this way."

The bodyguard carrying Al followed as Val left the room after his father, leaving the rest of the group in the lobby. Arien turned to the other three, sighing. "I guess we should get cleaned up," he mumbled.

"You turned Al?" Elisa murmured, casting a wary look across at the nearby guards.

Arien motioned for them to follow him, and they stepped away from the front entrance and the guards there, heading further into the mansion: towards the bathrooms and away from prying ears. "Yeah," he answered after a long pause. "It was the only way to save him."

They all appeared to be going through a various amount of emotions and the inability to just talk freely about them seemed to just make things worse, at least in Jimmy’s mind. He tensed a little at both Adrian’s and Elisa’s responses, the look of Aaro’s face when he revealed that Mia had died fresh in his mind. They didn’t know some of those that died, but he as a Proselyte did and he felt trapped between two different worlds. He came back to the conversation at hand just in time to hear Arien tell him that it wasn;t his fault and not to act like it was his fault. That was a tall order though, but Jim just nodded in agreement, not wanting to get into it right then.

“Sure.” He managed, fingers running through his hair as he dug for his phone to check for any messages. Pushing it back into his pocket, he tensed up and closed his eyes a moment, not sure if coming here was the right thing to do after all. He was almost to the point of tuning everything out before he picked up on Val’s words with Elisa’s comment cementing what was being said. Arien had turned Al. He felt numb and realized that it was worse than he thought, which only served to make him feel worse. Following behind the group, he glanced around a moment before shifting his attention back towards Arien.

“At least he was saved…” Leaving it at that, he headed away from the group to a bathroom, needing some time alone to process everything.

Back