Administrator
Mentor
Nexus GM
as written by Architect

"She would always like to say,
'Why change the past when you can own this day?'
Today she will fight to keep her way,
she's a rouge and a thief and she'll tempt your fate~"

A young woman with a voice as sweet as honey plucked the strings of what could be assumed was some sort of guitar. She had beautifully long hair that draped over her shoulders as she sang. Her hair, dark black, with a shine that tempted you to think it was made of onyx, was only matched by her eyes. A pair of tantalizing hazel eyes that seemed to be overwhelmed with the emotion of her words.

Watching her from across the room, sat Damian Farway. A slender man, with a head of amber and eyes as crimson as the wine he sipped. His head swayed with her every word as she sung her tavern songs. He found himself inexplicably drawn toward her talent, and the sounds of her music seemed to make his drink taste that much better.

He'd chosen a wonderful spot to travel to. When he was bombarded with bureaucracy and laws by some ruling family of vampires upon his arrival, he'd been worried that perhaps he'd made a mistake. But as the young lady moved on to her next song, Damian could feel his unease melt away. Lutetia may have it's problems, but that didn't have to involve him.

Last edited by a moderator:
as written by Akita

It was a rough day, especially for an old vampire who had been walking almost nonstop for the past week. The morning was hot, and it didn't seem as though the temperature was going to change any time soon. At this point, it was all just about exploring the land to familiarize herself with it. After announcing herself to the higher ups of the land and getting acquainted with the laws, she figured she would see what it was around here that was so interesting. She had heard of this place from a small bunch of people who passed her along her travels, so now she would get to know what the hype was.

The area seemed to be doused with the stench and population of the werewolf race, but it didn't alarm Rina, considering she was very confident that could hold her own in any fight. As stubborn as she was, however, she understood that she should keep a low profile as to not stir up any kind of trouble that would upset the council.

She found her way to a local tavern that was booming with popularity, and figured she would check out the hot spot. As she stepped in, she took a brief look around, admiring the rustic atmosphere of the place. She turned her attention to the one who was spouting melodies in the finest of forms, and allowed a small smile to form upon her plush lips. Music was always good, and it was a great way to get patrons involved. Deciding to take a longer listen, Rina sat down nearby a man who was swaying along with the woman's tunes. She huffed at his actions, wondering just how much wine he had to drink today. She eyed him up and down, capturing his essence and memorizing his face as much as she could. He seemed like he was going to topple over with how into the music he was, and maybe she was okay with that, but maybe it would be best to keep an eye on him just in case.

Last edited by a moderator:
as written by Architect

Damian continued to drink and enjoy the music, distracted so much by it that he barely noticed the woman sit next to him. It was only when he paused to take another sip from his glass did he sense her presence. He turned his head slightly to regard her, his eyes quickly darting down, and then up even quicker. She was a looker, and she seemed to be from out of town like himself.

There was something else that he noticed about her though, something more...instinctual. It hadn't been the first time he'd felt this, but he did know to be cautious.

Still, he didn't need to be rude. He gave her a pleasant smile and held his glass up in greeting.

"Hello." He said simply before turning back to watch the musician. He had no plan for how he would spend his time, nor any intention to cause trouble. Currently he was satisfied with his drink and the atmosphere around him. It was all he needed, for now.

as written by Akita

The noise of the tavern boomed in her ears, slightly deafening her the longer she stuck around. However, she didn't seem to mind it, as it was much different than the silence she endured on her journey over here. Rina pursed her lips as she continued to admire the harmonies coming from both the female entertainer and the instrument she played. It was nice to be in an environment where there was no tension and not very much to worry about. For now. The elder vampire then turned her head to spy once more at her mystery bench partner and huffed at his greeting. He seemed nice enough to at least offer that, but still, her skepticism stayed strong.

She wasn't really one to talk to strangers very often, but in a new town, perhaps it wouldn't hurt to at least extend a responding 'hello' and acquaint herself in an area where she knew no one, and had no qualms. "Hi there," she said softly, her shy demeanor getting in the way of her attempts to daunt him.

as written by Architect

By the time woman had responded, Damian had already re-focused his attention on the songstress. He nodded along with the sounds of her voice some more, sipping from his glass. At one point he let out a content sigh and leaned back against the bench. He turned his head to look at his neighbor once more.

"This girl is really good, don't you agree?" He smirked as he asked his question. "I personally love these kinds of songs, reminds me of home. I had a sister that loved to sing."

He paused and then chuckled. "I apologize, I must have had more to drink than I thought. I'm sorry if I made you uncomfortable with my ramblings."

as written by Lialore

Max was tired. He’d been on his feet for hours on end. But it did end, even when he thought it wouldn’t. How many windows had he cleaned today? So many that he thought his arm was going to fall off at more than one point. But it did end, and now here he was. Trying to find some work that didn’t involve soapy floaty bubbles and a stud scraper the size of a bumper.

He had his hardened elbows resting on the counter at the bar of the tavern. It was strangely lulled for a Vargeras establishment. He liked it. The tender approached after giving him a somewhat wary glance.

“I was just wondering if you had any vacancies” Max started.

The man eyed him up. Sized him up. Max guessed that he was trying to figure out where he belonged, what pack, what rank. He was probably drawing blanks, too. He’d been off the scene for a while, though it was likely there was still a whiff about him. The tender blew out air from his nostrils and shifted heavily, his brows drew together in confusion.

“You from round here?” he asked.

“Yeah” he decided to try his luck, since he thought they were in Bloodstone territory. “Used to work at The Den.”

“And you don’t work there no more?” – the man’s tone was laced with suspicion.

Bad move. Max’s eyes went on a little journey as he tried to think of what to say. His genius reply was: “Nope.”

The tender grunted, that suspicion only growing. Max noted that the man really wasn’t as dumb as he looked.
He didn’t work there any more. He must’ve upset Baron. And no one liked doing that.

The reply came forcefully.
“What can I get you?”

- - -

And that was the end of that. He didn't want to cause a stir. He couldn't cause a stir - he liked his bones quite unbroken.

Max ordered a whiskey and pondered on his own stupidity for a while before deciding to take up a seat and listen to the music. He set his glass down then reached into his pocket for a cigarette, to light up and admit redundancy for the day. He patted around his leather jacket for a good few minutes, filter clasped between his lips. But, no matches. Removing the cigarette from his lips and hooking a hand under his chair, he shifted it towards the closest table where two people - a man and woman - sat conversing.

“Either of you got a light?” he asked, cocking his fingers to draw attention to the unsparked cigarette. “Been a long day.”

as written by Akita

Unamused, Rina turned her head to fully face her mystery bench partner and pursed her lips some at his comments about the vocalist. Figuring he was too drunk for his own good, the elder vampire refrained from placing a comment, mostly because her interest level wasn't exactly piqued. However, she did still want to focus on him, considering his behavior was rather peculiar, and almost entertaining. 'How long has he been drunk like this?' she wondered, continuing to keep an eye on him.

As he went on with his rambles about his sister, Rina just slowly nodded her head half-listening to what he was saying, and half listening to the thoughts in her head telling her to basically get up and move away from the guy. She shook the thoughts from her head when the mystery man mentioned how much he had to drink and that he had been rambling. "Seems like a habit, no?" Was all Rina could muster up after staring at him for quite a while.

Along with the awkwardness of the rambling drunk idolizing the female vocalist and causing quite an annoyance to the old vampire, there was also another stranger invading her space. At the sound of another man's voice, Rina calmly turned her head to face him, and stared directly into his orbs with a dead expression fading into her own. She let out a soft huff of a sigh and shook her head at his question, disappointed that he was another personal polluter. "I don't smoke...Bad for these old lungs, 'know? Long day or not..." She lowered her head and set her attention on the glass the man had set down at the bar and nodded her head at it. "What d'ya drink?"

as written by Architect

Damian may have been drinking, but there was a difference between being buzzed and being out of your own mind. Currently, he would claim to be of the former. So even while inebriated, he was able to pick up on the woman's subtle sarcasm.

He troubled her no further, and went back to quietly enjoying the music.

Her attention seemed to shift to the man, who was much larger than himself, who had approached them. That was fine with Damian, who got up from his seat with another sip of his drink.

He walked over to the minstrel and introduced himself. He offered her a small amount of coin in exchange for a request, and when he returned to his seat, he smiled as she began to sing a tune that was an old favorite of his.

as written by Lialore

“Eh” Max muttered, the disappointment showing on his face. The whiskey would suffice in making his day a little better, but smokes would’ve been preferred. His eyes followed the man who hadn’t replied as he moved towards the performer. Exhausted he was, and agitated he wasn’t so much; Max just ignored his rudeness.

His eyebrows shifted towards his hairline some at the woman’s phrasing. Old lungs? He’d learnt it was rude to try to guess a woman’s age, but he certainly wouldn’t call her ‘old’. Trying to slyly glance her over again to do some calculations, he reached over and picked up his drink, then swilled the amber liquid around in the short glass for her entertainment.

“Water” he replied, then took a single sip, savouring the burn of the whiskey before lifting the glass again and draining the glass entirely. With a half-hearted smile, he set the glass back down. “Is it bad that it goes down as so? Think so.”

No. Definitely not ‘old’. But there was something odd about her. And he couldn’t quite pinpoint it. Nor her accent, that he couldn’t catch either.

“Where you from?” he asked, politely. She didn’t seem very forward, but if his light-hearted conversation was deflected, then he’d leave her be. But her previous company didn’t seem so forthcoming.

A new melody that was unfamiliar to Max settled amidst the bar, the notes weaving through air to relax him some.

as written by Sentry

The camera flashes lit up Jeanne's face as the forensic photographer did his job. There were lines on the side of her mouth hinging a deep frown.

Three bodies lay out in front of her splayed out in a rough triangle. It was bloody. There were so many carvings in the skin that the corpses were unrecognizable. A steady drizzle had washed much of the stains down the crowned road into the drain. She'd found one wallet in the largest body, the ID showing a black man by the name of Theodore Bonner. She'd heard his name before. Headed a local produce company that provided for a good deal of restaurants around Lutetia City.

Other than the symbols drawn on their skin, there were no injuries. No visible puncture wounds or broken bones. In what was suspected to be his wife's pocket, Jeanne found a small trinket. A dried up beetle in a small bottle. It went in a bag, but the detective was going to take an extra good look at it later on.

She stepped over the yellow tape and grunted into her coat. The drizzle had increased into a shower beating at the backs of every cop and investigator there. Lucky the coroner had just come by.

Another cop, red-haired and sturdy with a glare on his face and a pink scar on his forehead, walked up beside Jeanne. "Been a while since we've seen one like this," he said. "A decade."

"Thirteen years," Jeanne replied swiftly. "It has been exactly thirteen years."

The cop rubbed a hand down his face and raised a brow at Jeanne. "So it has."

Jeanne glared up at the cop before her, then began to take a chilly walk to her car. Most crime scenes didn't chill her like this one did, and she had seen the most gruesome of them in Lutetia City. Even so, the Bloodhound sensed the worst of it was just ahead.

as written by Calcos

The scene was grisly, there was no mistake about that. But he'd seen worse just in training, so he was able to keep his stomach; unlike a lot of new Hunters and most police officers he'd seen. As he came upon the crime scene, he merely flashed a badge with a gold-plated casting the Society's emblem on it and was permitted into the area.

Taking a look around, he saw what everyone else did; a trio of bodies, lined up in a careful fashion; a brutal triple homicide that made the victims appear to be little more than human scratching posts.

As he waded through the cluster of police personnel, he spotted a woman, a detective, as she was exiting the crime scene. If he didn't know any better, he would assume this woman to be just any detective. However, his knowledge of the more outstanding officers, as well as his intuition, led him to an obvious conclusion. He stopped her short of making an exit.

"Inspector Bonheur," Isaac said in greeting, his voice mellow and low in tone.

as written by Sentry

Jeanne whirled around and pressed her hand atop her hat, lifting her chin to look at the gentleman before her. She raised her brows. "Hello, hi. Can I help you?" she asked, lips pressed in a thin line. The rain increased gently. Jeanne was never a friend to the weather when she was out in it. She made a face. "Can we be quick? What's your name?

as written by Calcos

He regarded her with an interest that appeared to be analogous to someone enjoying watching paint dry, sizing her up as she spoke to him. Without extending a hand, he said "Irons. Isaac Irons. I'm a Hunter with the Ardelean Society. I was called out to help your people work this case, but we don't have very many details; all I know is that this was a triple homicide. Do you have any information you could give me? Any possible leads?"

He cast his gaze into hers, a hard stare that was unnaturally alluring, and at the same time unsettling. Isaac wasn't known for his warmth, but his promptness and straight-to-business demeanor, and he wasted no time setting off to work as he pressed the woman for information.

as written by Sentry

"Ah. We've never actually met, but I know your name. Nice to get to know you at last, Mister Irons. Honestly, I haven't gotten a lot of information yet, myself. I got here half an hour ago to identify the man. Theodore Bonner. You've probably heard of him, yeah? Was on the headlines a few weeks ago. Staple Produce CEO voices distaste for necromancers. Remember that? Well, now he's been killed. Probably by necromancers. Him, and his whole family except his youngest son, who's missing."

as written by Calcos

He looked over at where the bodies lay as she finished speaking, allowing a few moments of silence to permeate between them. The bodies were quite gruesomely torn, riddled by a savagery that hadn't been witnessed in quite some time.

"I suppose you wouldn't have an idea as to where he's disappeared to," he began, "I'll have my own look around, see what I can find," he said without a trace of request in his voice.

"If there's anything else you could tell me, that would be helpful."

as written by Sentry

"I really don't. I'm sorry. I'm going to someone right now who might give me some answers. I can keep you updated, but for now, you'll have to get a look at the crime yourself. The body's going to the medical examiner's office right now. We're going to need help on this case. Some officers might be hesitant to bring you in on the case, but the Society's always been welcome in my eyes."

as written by Calcos

Isaac nodded in understanding. "Their tentativeness doesn't amount to much; once we get involved, we're involved whether the police like it or not," he said humorlessly. "Regardless, the Society appreciates your support, inspector. If that'll be all, then, you have a good day."

With that, he strode over to where the bodies lay, examining them with his overly-critical eye. From his pocket, he retrieved a high-definition digital camera, capturing his own images at different angles, for future examination. The medical examiner was prepared to cart the bodies away, but Isaac still had observations to make.

He reached inside his coat, producing a device that looked like a small black cube. He held it out, muttering something incoherent to the rest of the investigative team before the device lit up with purple-colored runes, erupting a pulse that would pick up traces of magic that had been used, or given off by the users thereof, in the area within the last 72 hours.

as written by Ronin, Sentry, and Tiko

It was midday. The Lutetia police department was in full swing, the lobby and office of the precinct drowned in a cacophony of ringing phones, droning dialogue and shuffling papers. Outside, an overcast blanketed the streets of the city in a silvery grey. It looked like it was going to rain.

The doors to the precinct opened, permitting entry to a thin, pale man in a long, black coat. The shoulders and sleeves were gilded in silver, an insignia resembling a many-branched oak tree sewn into its arm. The Inquisition. He looked bored, regarding the civilians and officers in the lobby with slow, monotone nods.

The Paladin who entered at his side looked like she would just as soon rather have been somewhere else this afternoon. It was boredom so much as distaste. The LPD's strained resources and ineffectiveness in handling the growing crime within Vargera was no secret, but Sylviane didn't begrudge them it. It wasn't incompetence, so much as lack of proper funding and resources. They didn't have the numbers needed to bring order to Vargeras. It left a bitter taste in her mouth in regards to why they were here. The orders had come down though.

Jeanne sat in her office, chair leaned on its back legs, eyes reflecting the glum afternoon. The fingers of her right hand tapped her thin lips, while the other fiddled with an empty glass bottle. So lost in her thoughts, she never took notice of the perturbing figures at the edge of her vision until the last moment. Loose bangs dropped into her eyes as she turned to face them. An eyebrow went up.

And so it begins, Jeanne thought. I was starting to wonder when he'd drop by.

The inquisitor's cold eyes waded through the sea of faces before resting on Jeanne's. A light smile touched his lips. He moved towards her calmly.

"Inspector Bonheur," he offered her a slight nod, "a pleasure. I did say we'd see each other again soon." He tugged at the fingers of his gloves and popped them off. "I'm afraid it's been quite some time since I've visited the department. Would you mind telling me where I might find the precinct captain?" He stopped. "Oh, goodness. Forgive me, I haven't introduced my companion." He turned and nodded to the woman. "Inspector, this is Dame Sylviane of the Monastic Order. Dame Sylviane, Jeanne Bonheur - the Bloodhound."

Jeanne stood up from her chair slowly, holding a hand out to the Paladin with the flattest of smiles. "The pleasure is all mine," she replied.

Sylviane took the offered hand and offered a nod of her head in return.

"I've heard about you," she told Jeanne.

The words were neutral enough to make it difficult to ascertain whether her impression of the rumors were good or bad. Likely a mix of both.

"The name floats around," Jeanne said. "May I ask what brings the Faith here? Must be important if you'd like to see my superior. Most detectives can take care of anything else." Her tone became stern.

"Indeed," Archard nodded, reaching into his coat and retrieving a parch of paper, sealed with the Lutetian fleur. "I've been tasked by the High Inquisitor to ... relieve you of some of your cases in the Lupaix district. The inquisition has taken a keen interest in the area. I'll be personally overseeing the investigation." He offered the paper to her. "You are to relinquish every document and piece of evidence you've compiled on the cases delineated in this order." His red lips waxed into a thin smile. "But of course, I'm overstepping myself. Where is your captain? I really must have words with them."

Jeanne's lips slowly parted, tongue sliding across her teeth with venom. Her fingers closed around the paper tightly, and she looked him straight in the eye as she whipped it out of his hand, jaw set. "Ah," she breathed. "Interesting, really. The church certainly took its time. A man is dead, Inquisitor. I thought the Church didn't like sullying their clean little hands with dirt. With... blood, Inquisitor. A man is dead. A man has been dead for a week." Oh, that smile on her face. "And what have you been doing? Sipping tea?"

The situation was beginning to draw more than a few looks from her co-workers. None of them were too surprised to see her getting into it with the church, but it still offered a distraction from the afternoon's paperwork.

But Archard only smiled back - no venom in his lips, only a quiet, humorous laughter. He had been willing to let the ordeal pass quietly ... but now that Jeanne had escalated the situation, he saw no other route. Eyes were on them. The precinct was watching.

"There are worse sins than lethargy, inspector," he reached forward and delicately slid the order out from her fingers. "While I apologize for the inquisitions lateness in this matter, I assure you I haven't been twiddling my thumbs at my desk, 'drinking tea', as you put it." His eyes gleamed. "Or going to bed with case suspects, for that matter." He almost chuckled. Almost. "Mr. James Guiscard was most hospitable during my interview with him. Something must have put him in a good mood."

He neatly folded the order and returned it to his jacket. "Now then. Your captain?"

A storm unfolded behind Jeanne's eyes, but the Bloodhound stood her ground. The corner of her lip curved up in a sneer, which turned into a laugh. "I do hope this case treats you well, Inquisitor. This case isn't just about Baron- because it looks like you've got eyes for him more than I do." She snatched her hat from her desk and sat it atop her mess of curls. "Second floor, third door on your right. Good day, Inquisitor. And you, Paladin."

The words were empty as she slipped out of the office, just as the first droplets of rain began to fall.

"Good day, inspector," Archard bowed at the neck, stepping aside as she left the office. He watched her leave. The small crowd of officers who'd been pretending to check reports dispersed in a mist of murmurs and quiet chuckles.

"That woman is one of the best detectives in this city." The tone of his voice made it difficult to discern whether he was making a statement or asking a question. "This was your first time meeting the inspector wasn't it, Paladin?" He turned to face her. "What do you make of her?"

"The woman's got balls," Sylviane remarked. "It's a shame she wastes them bedding curs."

"If James Guiscard was a simple 'cur', we'd have him in silver by now," Archard turned and began walking the length of the precinct towards the stairs. "An injured woman is found in his cellar. A corpse in the alley next to his bar." He rounded a corner. "He spent a few days behind bars. Three. He's smart. He's spent years building his pack in this city. He knows how to work the law."

Whatever Sylviane's thoughts on that particular matter were, she opted to keep them to herself as they walked in silence. Some things were better not spoken.

Archard began ascending the stairwell. "Jeanne was right, though. This is about far more than Guiscard." He stepped out into the second floor. "If my hunch is right, Lutetia's urban packs are on the cusp of a very dark, very bloody era." He counted the doors and paused at the third. "So." He wrapped his hands around the knob and knocked twice, a light smile touching his lips. "Let's make sure that, by the end of it, the Bloodstones are either behind bars, or cremated on a pyre."

He opened the door.

as written by Tiko

It had been two weeks since Julienne's last visit to Ragenard's dingy motel room, and she had found its sorry state little improved in her absence. The paint on the walls was chipped and cracked, and the ceiling discolored from water stains. From the state of the carpet she suspected it must have been absconded from the Phantom Quarter. She couldn't say much though, given some of the hovels she had lived in.

There had been no sign of Ragenard upon her arrival, but it hadn't taken much effort to let herself in. The latch on the door stood broken, but she was sure the motel manager would see to it tomorrow. Or not.

Personal boundaries weren't a concept that Julienne had a strong grasp of.

Ragenard's return would find Julienne lounging on her stomach in his bed, flipping idly through the channels on the television set. That is to say the same three channels over and over.

as written by Dashmiel

The lengthening shadows draped across the rooftops of Lutetia heralded the coming end of yet another day, and within a few hours the city would come alive under the moonlight in the beautiful and grotesque way that only Lutetia could.

Ragenard gave not one shit about any of it.

“Two thrice-fecked weeks. Fucking slippery bastard” muttered Ragenard to himself as he turned down the dingy alley that somehow looked more presentable than his destination on the other side. Home, or close enough to make no matter to Ragenard.

With a sigh, Ragenard slowly made his way up the creaking rusted wrought iron spiral stair case that he was sure would one day be the death of him, maintaining a hushed stream of curses under his breath as he relieved the chore he had just completed for his brother.

“Goddamn sniveling little shite”

Creak

“How crooked do you even need to be to have that many hiding spots”

Creak

“Son of a whelping whoreson mongrel…”

Creak

Sniff.

Ragenard made it within ten paces of his door before he felt it, first in his gut and slowly spreading all over. Visceral and solid as a rock, his intuition told him something was off, and it wasn’t just his shitty life and the fact he was due a bottle of good whiskey that he was very eager to collect on.

“Who the fuck…” muttered Ragenard as his reverie was broken.

He made it within five paces before his nose crinkled and a smirk crossed his lips before quickly settling back into his usual scowl.

“What the fuck do you want? And I hope if it involves your ass in my bed that’s all I’ll get because last time I ended up getting suckered like a hog’s teats into the most boring hunt ever”
exclaimed Ragenard as he made his way into his hovel and began discarding various bits of travel stained clothes and weaponry in his wake.

“Fair warning, I’m sober right now.”

Back