Chronicles of The Omniverse Archived Lutetia City: Vargeras

"Yeah, I know what you mean," Ante assured Seri, chuckling softly. Slowly he drew his thumb across the reddened cheeks, tracing a line to Seri's temple. His finger tips lingered there for a moment before he let his hand fall away. The warmth he'd stolen faded a brief moment later, and he tucked his hand under his leg- fearing the hunger that gnawed distantly at him. He would settle for holding hands. Ever fearful and alert if Seri would push him away again.

"I appreciate it, I really do," he replied, letting his gaze fall to the floor. His head weighed heavy with rampant thoughts; of his mother and sisters, of the tragedy that was playing out across the city, of his dream and robed man from the square. The most important thought in that moment though was Seri. It was hard to sift through all the emotions swirling in his chest, but having someone there made it easier to do so.

"Just don't put yourself in danger, I mean I know you're way too smart to do that for someone like me, but still I'd feel bad if I didn't say something to that effect," he added with a weak laugh. "I can live with being a popsicle for a bit longer."

"Tch," Seri cast Ante a smirk, albeit that the cocky expression didn't match his eyes. "This city's all danger, nobody's ever far from it. I can handle a little information gathering without making trouble for myself. Can't tread three steps without tripping over a witch or something these days, anyway, so it shouldn't take much looking." Of course, finding one he'd be willing to trust was another matter entirely. Trust was as rare a commodity as magic seemed a plentiful one.

"Maybe I'll try tracking down that beggar from the other night, too. See if he's gone all ice-box as well. That'd at least narrow down the 'why'," he added thoughtfully, before casting a wary glance back towards the balcony and frowning. "I'm not going hunting anything today, though. Not with all that out there." There was a pause, and his eyes wandered back around the room, settling on the television set which continued to display a news report from the park in the background. "Hey, you think there's anything on there that's not doom and gloom right now?"

"Ah, yeah, that's true, guess it's just, easier for people... like me to not be that acquainted with the dangers of the city, though I did almost run a witch over once, young girl with a red bow," he replied with a sheepish chuckle, feeling slightly embarrassed about his worry. Casting a quick glance out to the burning city and columns of smoke served as a poignant lesson about how easy that supposed barrier could be torn down.

"And yeah, I wouldn't want you going out there right now for anything." He kept his gaze on the young man as they sat there for a moment in quietness, unable to look away. Only when Seri turned his attention to the television, speaking up, did Ante snap out of his stupor.

"Good idea." He stood up from the bed, trailing his arm back to where their hands were connected until distance and gravity pulled his grip from Seri's hand. The now lonesome hand nestled itself between the youth's pointed chin and his slender neck. It felt warm against his flesh, and for a moment he was satisfied.

His other hand, cold as ever, went about changing the channel. Station by station he went, finding that most either were broadcasting news alerts or the blaring emergency broadcast screen that'd become more frequent in recent history. Eventually he came to an old station, one broadcasting shows and movies that his grandparents watched. Whatever it was they were airing, some romantic piece, it was in black and white.

"Better than the news right now," Ante remarked as he sat back down on the bed, his arms crossed over his stomach as he hunched over. With a soft, almost trembling voice, the dusky haired boy whispered, "Thank you."

Last edited:
Seri cast Ante a worried glance, nodding. "S'okay," he murmured. "You're letting me crash here while the world burns, I figure I can ask a few questions for you as payback." He hesitated briefly, unsure how to proceed, then tentatively reached out and put an arm around the other boy's shoulders. It was an awkward gesture, but seemed like it was probably the right thing to do? Or at least as close to it as he could manage. "You'll be fine," he added quietly. "So cheer up and watch some... whatever this is, with me. I'm a guest, so you've gotta keep me entertained, right?"

The gesture and kind words brought a warmth to the young man's heart that almost sated the coldness in the core of his being. He forced himself to smile wider than soft upturn of the corner of his lips, looking over at the other youth who was attempting to comfort him. For a moment, to Seri's touch, he wasn't bitter cold. At least warm enough to not be uncomfortable to wrap an arm around his shoulder. Reaching up he gripped and squeezed the perched hand.

"Thanks," he said again, this time with the new found warmth behind it. The moment seemed to drag on as he lost himself in the golden eyes once more, eventually breaking the stupor with an abrupt hug- snaking arms around Seri's flank and holding him tight. His warmth was closer to an ill child, but still an improvement. "You're right, I'll be fine... we'll be fine." He held the embrace as long as he could. If it had lasted forever, that'd have been alright. But all good things had to come to an end, and slowly Ante grew colder, sapping Seri's body heat for a brief second before he broke the embrace in fear. He scooted away, and gave an embarrassed smirk as an offering before looking away.

"Hell of a time to watch old movies, but, I won't turn down a date," he chuckled sheepishly, attempting to revive his flirtatious humor. He reached back and plundered the head of the bed for all his pillows, and plopped several down at the foot so he could lay on his stomach, playfully smacking Seri in the process with on, and leaving it in his lap.

With just enough space between them, Antoine settled in and put all the rushing thoughts in his head aside. It took effort, but the stolen glances towards his friend and the sound of the TV helped. In that moment there existed only a room, an old movie, and two youths once adrift in the chaos- and that's how Ante wished it would stay.

Back