Chronicles of The Omniverse Archived Lutetia City

Crista looked a bit crest fallen, she had debated leaving Lutetia before, back when John was still alive. Now she had to stay. She needed to know who did it.

"Maybe someday, but right now I can't leave. Someone in the order is responsible for what happened to John and I need to know who it was. Once I find out, perhaps then we can leave."

The Monastery
For new paladins less than a year into their career, the frequency and excitement of their duties were largely questions of chance. Fresh knights were called ‘errants’, a name which harkened back to the days when paladins would wander Lutetia on horseback, questing, succoring the weak and performing great deeds of strength and valor. Nowadays, to be an ‘errant’ was to be at the beck and call of any senior paladin who needed assistance. This could mean anything - from helping city police redirect traffic to engaging in a brutal gunfight with gangsters in the city slums. On-duty errants were expected to remain on Monastery grounds, fully armored, and await the summons of their older, more experienced peers. Sometimes, on slow days, they weren’t summoned at all.

Such would be the state of Lucy Areceneaux, newly-minted knight of the Order. Fully armed, she would likely be waiting in one of the Monastery’s many recreation rooms, perhaps sharpening her sword, checking her lawkeeper, reviewing case files or just putzing aimlessly around the room, anticipating the summons of another knight. Sir Samuel Benton waited with her, a baby-faced paladin who had taken the silver not even a week ago. The recruit was playing with a set of throwing knives, trying to pin them to a target mounted on the wall twenty feet away.

“Alright, this time-“ he looked over his shoulder, “Lucy, are you watching? This time I’ve got it. Ready...” He tensed his arm, reeled back the knife, and threw it at the target. It struck dull-end forward and clattered to the floor.

“Dammit,” he growled and readied another knife, “okay, this time... this time...”

Lucy Areceneaux was just about to break both of Samuel’s arms or maybe just a few fingers on each hand. That was how annoyed she was about the constant thudding sound as well as the inability to go out and do something useful. Her fingers clenched into a light fist and she slowly started to think of a happy thought, her body beginning to relax.

“Hm?” Her head shifted over towards Samuel when he asked if she was watching. No, she had been thinking thoughts that a Paladin shouldn’t think, but no one was perfect. Flashing him a bright smile, Lucy turned around completely in order to watch him, her sword already as sharp as she could get it and her lawkeeper was good to go as well. She had started to look through some case files concerning the incidents around town, but she was easily sidetracked. When he once again failed to nail the target with the pointy in, she shook her head.

“Samuel… maybe you should change your strategy? I mean, unless you’re planning on knocking out someone with the other end of your knife instead of impaling them. Which, I guess is humane?” She slid to her feet and moved over towards him, tugging out one of her knives. She maneuvered it in her hand a bit before throwing it at the target, pinning it into the middle of the target.

“I am so bored… Sure there’s something better we could be doing?”

"Woah," Sam blinked in surprised as Lucy hit the target on her first try, "that's... you're pretty impressive-" He cleared his throat. "-I mean ah. The knife. The knife throwing. Your skills at knife throwing are impressive, is what I'm trying to say."

He picked up another blade. "Humane... hm. I guess. Honestly, I'm not sure when we'll ever use these things. Why throw a knife when you've got a pistol on your built that can switch between four different kinds of ammunition?" He took aim, steadied his arm, and took another throw. This time it stuck - though it hit the target far from center.

"I guess we could go workout or spar, but what if we're summoned to duty? Last thing we want is to be exhausted before the real work begins." He shrugged. "It's a fact of life for errants, Lucy. The first year sucks. We get all the bad assignments and do all the grunt work."

Lucy just glanced at Samuel at his words, studying him for a brief moment before smiling. They weren’t allowed to date as Paladins and while they might get close, there was absolutely no way it could go further, so she took no offense to his words, regardless of how he meant them. Her brow arched just a little before she grinned, thinking of a something her father told her.

“Well… just imagine they’re about to push a button to cause immense damage to an area. The enemy cannot push a button... if you disable his hand.” Lucy shrugged a little and watched him finally get his knife to stick.

“Well, there you go! Practice makes perfect.” Moving to her knife, she yanked it out before putting it back away. The thought of working out or sparring didn’t exactly enthuse the Pally and while she didn’t want to go up against any of those that associate themselves the Caer, she was hoping to get a bit more action, first year or not.

“I know it’s the fact of life for errants, but it doesn’t mean I have to like it. I want to get out into the world and make a difference… not go workout or spar.”

“Look on the bright side,” Sam offered, “in a year or so you’ll be getting your own cases and bounties. Then you’ll be making all the difference you can handle - until you die at like, forty-something or lose a limb and are forced into desk work...”

His eyes widened. “...that was supposed to be funny. Sorry, you’re not going to-... I mean, statistically you’ll probably...” He swallowed. “Yknow what? I’m just gonna try and hit the target again.”

Sam was saved from further embarrassment by the buzzing of their radios.

”Any available knight, check-in on channel four and report to the armory, garage nine, for assignment. We’ve got a 10-67 in Cascastel. Sir Roth is in pursuit, requesting backup.”

Sam perked. “10-67. An armed car chase. How’s that for excitement?” He swiped up his radio. “I assume you want to take it?”

“Sam… do you even think before you fire words out of your piehole? That was just horrible and not at all encouraging. It’s a good thing I can take a joke, but damn, don’t say that to the Proselyte’s or any of the super new Pally’s. Geesh.” Lucy shook her head a little at his attempt to be funny, not upset, but a little perturbed. Thankfully the radios came to life and she turned her attention towards the voice flickering across it.

“Hn. Even better it’s an armed car chase in Cascastel.” Grinning, Lucy ran her fingers through her hair, snatching her radio up before nodding towards her fellow Paladin.

“Of course, I want to take it! Radio us in and let’s get going!” She made sure her weaponry was attached to her body, which of course it was before she stepped towards the door, thankful for the break in an otherwise dull day.

Sam smiled and lifted his radio to his mouth. "Control, this is Sir Benton with Dame Areceneaux. We're heading down to the armory.

---

The Monastic Armory

Once in the designated garage, Lucy and Sam would be assisted by two proselytes and cleric. The team swiftly armed the paladins in whatever weapons they pleased from the armory. Sam selected a Rosary and outfitted his lawkeeper with lead, scatter, shock and explosive rounds. He mounted his destrier as one of the proselyte checked the fluid reserves and tested the engine. The other proselyte would tend to Lucy's bike in similar fashion.

"You'll rendezvous with Sir Roth at the corner of Une and Gespardi," the cleric informed them both, "the three of you will assist local police in bringing down a trio of armored vans who robbed Vargeras General Hospital and made off with several corpses. Follow Sir Roth's orders, and don't get yourselves killed. You're expected to provide support - nothing more." He made the sign of the raven. "The Light go with you both."

Sam revved the engine of his massive destrier, sitting forward with a nervous hunch. He spoke to Lucy through his helmet's vox while they opened the garage into the city streets.

"I think we might be in over our heads on this one."

Last edited:
Practically bouncing on the way to the Armory, her steps were light and precise. She had been waiting for this day for what felt like forever and while there was danger looming over what exactly they would be dealing with, she was excited. Finally, she would be able to prove to her family that this was her true calling. That despite not having what some of the other Paladins had, she was just as good.

“This is it…” Lucy whispered to herself while looking over the weapons, trying to decide what to snatch. Patting the Proselyte helping her out, she smiled kindly before getting down to business. Deciding on The V2 Exorcist, she outfitted it with shrapnel and then outfitted her lawkeeper with silver, explosive, shock, and lead rounds. Bouncing a bit, she checked that her sword was tightly in its sheathe on her side and mounted the destrier, almost petting it before nodding.

“Understood… follow orders and don’t die. Sounds easy enough.” Lucy grinned cheekily before glancing towards Sam, shaking her head a little, revving her bike in excitement before finally responding.

“No, Sam, we’re going to be fine. Just don’t do anything stupid and don’t try and hit someone with your knives.” Lucy pulled out of the garage once the door was open, loving how the bike felt beneath her body. She started to take off before pausing. “I uhh… I don’t know where Une and Gespardi is.”

Laughter crackled in her comms. Sam sped ahead of her, bike thundering down the midnight streets of Saint Lemeux.

”Follow me, hero. I’ll get us there in one piece.” He flicked on his police lights, sirens echoing across the road.

”When we get there though - it’ll be your job to /keep/ us in one piece.”

“Oh hush. We can’t all be perfect at everything.” Lucy’s words came out with a light laugh to indicate she was joking with her words. It was true though, she was terrible at geography and despite extensive studies, still didn’t know her directions very well. Flipping on her own police lights, she sped off after Sam, humming a little to herself, starting to zone out, per usual. At least until his voice snapped her back to the present.

“Naturally. That’s what I’m good at, remember?” Managing to sound confident, Lucy said a silent prayer that she was able to do just that, not wanting to lose Sam or anyone else on her watch.

Back