Chronicles of The Omniverse Archived Lutetia City

as written by Calcos

Settling into the familiar comfort of the office once again served to ease Sirius' nerves; Richter was able to get the generator back up to speed (supposedly with a more efficient output), and the lights once again illuminated the rather cramped space. He sat in his usual chair, with the old man seated opposite himself in a similarly rickety arrangement. As Cora delivered the bottles, Sirius gave her a curt nod in thanks before she rooted herself behind her station as well.

"So, doc. What brings you 'round these parts?" the investigator inquired. The old man chuckled, the wrinkles that adorned his face squirming with every movement of his muscles. He was a rather peculiar sight: erratic white hair, large brown eyes and a smile that seemed to indicate a fascinating degree of lunacy. His frame was lithe and unassuming, his head seemingly disproportionate by comparison. Sirius often assumed it was because of the massive cargo the good doctor carried around up there.

Indeed, Richter was a mad genius when it came to the sciences, both natural or otherwise. He was a brilliant researcher and inventor, specializing in mechanical engineering, anatomy, biology, alchemy and the magic arts. While he had no natural affinity for the use of magic, he understood it well and far beyond any level Sirius could ever hope to comprehend. These simple facts alone made him an invaluable ally, but the tools he brought to Sirius on a regular basis made him that much more priceless.

Granted he ever got to use them, that is.

Finally, the doctor spoke. "News, my friend. Very important news. And a job, if you are willing." Sirius' eyes shot a glance towards Cora. 'Oh boy,' he thought. "I'm listening."

"Well, you see, for ze past few months I've been, ah, 'experimenting' with certain...how you say, 'components' of ze, erm, anatomy," the doctor seemed sheepishly aloof, dodging around the point. However, his meaning was not lost on Sirius, whose eyebrows perked after digesting Richter's words. "You've been grave robbing?" The doctor shrugged, slightly, grumbling a bit. "I wouldn't say that. Just...borrowing from ze catacombs..." Sirius placed his hands over his face.

This was the exact madness he had come to expect from the doctor, and somehow he was always astounded by it.

"You've been harvesting body parts from corpses. By God, man, have you no shame at all?" Sirius said with a powerful sense of indignation in his voice. Richter continued to beam at him. "This could very well pave a new road for modern science! Think about it, Sirius: all that could be done with reanimating dead tissue. Ze possibilities are endless!" Sirius leaned forward, dumbfounded at what he was hearing. "We call that necromancy, old man. And it's illegal if you're not running through proper channels." Richter waved a dismissive hand, "Bah! I don't speak of making rotting flesh walk; I mean to make dead flesh alive again! To completely revitalize that which was once lost to time and decomposition! It would be a marvelous achievement!"

The investigator shook his head, mouth agape as the doctor prattled on and on, spewing forth a series of insanities the likes of which Sirius hadn't encountered up until this very moment. "So, you mean to...cheat not only death, but the very course of nature itself?" Richter pondered on that statement for a brief moment, then gave a slow, satisfied nod, apparently pleased with the question. A hefty sigh escaped Sirius' mouth as he slumped forward, his finger and thumb pinching the bridge of his nose.

"I can't believe I'm about to ask this but...what do you need?" Richter brightened up considerably. "Ah, ser gut! Now, what I would like you to do is fetch something for me. You see...I seemed to have misplaced my most recent experiment. Somewhere in the city."

"For fuck's sake, doc..."

as written by Lialore

Cora was surprisingly squeamish for someone who had seen so much. She wrapped her food back up as the crazy man divulged, the sandwich was beginning to resemble parts of his story that weren’t so appetising.

Warning; weirdo alert.

Whilst she could see the logic behind such an idea, she still couldn’t quite hide the distaste on her face as she spent her time alternating between watching the pair and shuffling things about her desk aimlessly. She’d keep herself to herself until Richter was out of earshot, but even then, herself was likely to be ignored.

As their conversation drew to a pause, her eyes were on Sirius, brow furrowed. After her complaints, she really couldn’t say anything about his acceptance of the job. Still, amusing images of him lurking around shady parts of town, chasing an independent, animated limb came to her. It wasn’t the most dignified of visions, but they couldn’t afford dignity right now. Besides, he’d probably find a way to make this somewhat glamorous.

Cora opened the top desk of her draw, and after rummaging a bit, dumped a pair of gloves on the surface top. They made a strange flopping noise. Goodness knows where they’d came from. He’d probably be needing those. She sat back and put her feet up, crossing her arms with a little smile. She’d have no part in the practical part of this task, she hoped. That meant that she could enjoy it.

as written by Script

"That would be the most practical option," Jamie nodded, before pausing. "But not all of us are likely to survive alone if we're the one being tracked."

He glanced across at Noemi and Aurelie. Both of them were valuable enough to Nox that he doubted he'd want to risk them having to fend for themselves.

"We could split into pairs, at least, to narrow it down. I have somewhere I can take refuge where they won't be able to follow."

as written by Ronin and Peachy00Keen

It was an unusually sunny day in Lutetia. With Savien having the morning off, he'd decided to take Pandora to the Aurellae. A little green and grass was always good for the soul, and rumor had it that a band of travelling Aanarans had set up a small circus in the park that day.

He grumbled his destrier up to Valentine, Pandora clinging to his back.

"Haven't been to the Aurellae in my free time in years..." Savien said. If it wasn’t for Pandora, he probably wouldn’t be here at all. Between the massive caseloads cluttering his desk, Savien would have liked to spend his free time the way he usually did: by working. But the young nordic girl was having trouble adapting to Lutetian life. She knew almost no one else in the city apart from him - he couldn’t just leave her alone.

Big-top tents jutted out of the grass ahead of them, the sound of music, laughter and sweet-smelling things emanating from the mini-carnival. Savien turned off his bike. The off-duty paladin was garbed in the typical high-collared jacket of his Order. He wore no sword or visible weapon.

"They have things like this where you're from?"

Pandora shook her head emphatically as they dismounted. "We have travelling sellers of goods. Is that what this is?" She inhaled deeply and was met with the sweet and savory aromas of things to eat. Her stomach voiced its opinions loudly. "I smell food," she stated, more adamantly than her first response.

She looked around. The scene was, as many things were around Lutetia, strange to her. People were everywhere, playing games and eating things and enjoying the atmosphere about them. "Where are the guards?" she asked in earnest. "Who is watching over this village? There would be so much to take, and nobody is carrying any weapons." Her own words suddenly registering in her mind, she snuck a glance at Savien’s side where his sword usually hung.. "Sir Durandet! You are unarmed!" She checked her own person and sighed with relief when her hand found one of her knives concealed beneath her unfamiliarly soft garments. She was wearing a gentle skirt with a cool white blouse. Her hair was done up in a simple bun with a strand of braided hair wrapped around the base -- the best the two of them had been able to manage, given their limited experience with styling hair.

"I do not understand this place. It seems foolish," she huffed indignantly, crossing her arms and looking around at the numerous tents and droves of people. The scent of food riled her stomach once more. She tried to ignore it.

"It's a festival, silly," he shook his head, a small smile touching his lips. He dismounted and held out his hand to help her down, "it's supposed to be a big heap of nonsense. You may just enjoy it."

The two walked out of the fields into a world of color and music. Performers sang and danced for small throngs of Lutetians, musicians playing their instruments. Fortune tellers led wary young men and girls into their mystic tents, while actors in masks on a stage conducted a show.

"Not quite travelling salesmen," Savien explained, "more like travelling artists. Showmen." He watched as an Aanaran held a torch up to his lips and blew a jet of flame for a band of giggling children. "Modern Lutetian society views them with distrust, but I've always found the Aanarans to be honest people. Just a little rough around the edges."

She jumped, startled by the men breathing fire. "It is a bit frightening. I don’t dislike it, but I also do not know what to make of it or what to do with it." She observed the people watching the performers. The concept of watching someone work without doing any work oneself was unusual. "Why don't the people watching do anything? Do they take turns?"

Savien rolled his eyes. "It's entertainment, Pandora. Leisure time. The idea is to watch. Have fun."

He looked around him. "Here, there are three things we can check out. The music, the actors, or the fortune teller. Which do you want to see first?"

Her stomach growled again, this time with more gusto than before. "Can we see the food? I don't recognize the smells, but they are good." She smiled uncertainly up at him. "Their fun is very... curious. There is no play-fighting or practice combat. What is their ‘fun’ preparation for if not these things?"

While she waited for an answer, Pandora inspected the curious new clothes she had on. The skirt was very delicate. So much so that the wind moved it with the slightest breeze. The clothes felt impractical to her, offering no protection whatsoever from a surprise attack, but they were... nice, in a way. Compared to her usual furs and armor, it was liberating and odd in that it almost felt like she were wearing little more than the simple cloths in which she sometimes slept. She twirled the skirt a bit. Odd.

"Food first," Savien nodded, "good choice. There should be some sweets over here, if my nose serves me well." He gave her a curious look as she twirled in her skirt. He wondered if she'd ever worn something like it in all her life. "You look… pretty.” He almost frowned. Was that the right thing to say? “I think you know that, but…” A small gruff. “Let’s ah. Get the food.”

Pandora glanced up at him from her twirling, taken aback by his words. She tilted her head to the side, curiously, before smiling slightly. 'Pretty' was not something she was used to being called, but she had come to understand that it was a good thing to be 'pretty.'

"Many thanks," she responded, just a touch of hesitation in her voice. Either he didn't notice or it didn't bother him, as they continued walking toward the aroma of food.

The paladin led Pandora over to a stand where a woman sold sweets. Popcorn boxes mushroomed great heaps of fluffy white, hotdogs and meats roasted in rotisseries. Ale and beer was available for purchase, and a curious brown sugary cylinder smoldered on a hot plate...

"What is that?" Savien made a face at it.

"Churro," the woman replied, "foreign treat. Cinnamon."

"It looks disgusting..."

Pandora leaned in and took a curious sniff at the stick of dough. She tried to remember to keep a 'polite distance' from the food, since it wasn't hers, though she wasn't entirely sure what constituted that distance. It smelled sweet, this... churro thing. She glanced up at Savien, who had turned up his nose at the 'foreign treat,' and promptly decided to do the same, so as not to stick out. As she stood up though, her eyes trailed back to it, curious of its flavor.

Next, her eyes found ale. Finally, something familiar. Pandora smiled and looked to Savien excitedly. Her gaze rapidly bounced from the meats in the rotisserie to the ale to Savien. She cleared her throat to get his attention and tried to get him to follow where she was looking.

"It's quite good," the woman argued, "sweet. Crunchy."

"Hm..." Savien gave the churro a disapproving look before Pandora got his attention. The knight shook his head at the bouncing barbarian, a wry smile claiming his jaw.

"Two pints of your orchard ale, a chicken breast and..." he winced. "...a churro."

A moment later, they were sitting at a picnic bench, food and drink before them. Savien was sniffing at the churro, turning it over in his hands.

"I don't trust this thing..."

Pandora snatched it from him and began inspecting it herself. She sniffed it, rolled it around, dangled it from her fingers, and finally, hesitantly ventured to poke it with the tip of her tongue. She played with the taste in her mouth for a moment, staring incredulously at the strange stick of dough.

"It's... spicy... but not hot spicy. And it's sweet. And it tastes like..." She couldn't think of a way to describe the distinctly cooked taste of... nuts maybe? Something like that. It was like if someone had heated honey... but not... "How do they make these? It doesn't taste like it was cooked on a fire. It feels heavier and tastes different. It isn't bad, just odd."

She tried a small bite off the end and chewed carefully. It was crisp on the outside, but soft beyond that. It was weird. She set the churro down and took a swig of ale to clear her tongue.

"You try it," she offered it to him, practically shoving it in his face in her excitement. The stick of dough wavered in front of his nose, crystals of sugar and cinnamon flaking off of it slowly as it turned before him.

"Hm," Savien gruffed. He snatched the treat in his hands and brought it hesitantly up to his lips. He chewed thoughtfully.

"That's not... bad," he mused, taking another bite, "hm. Not bad at all..." He took a swig of ale. "A bit nutty, you're right. Sweet after-taste." His brows furrowed. "I wonder where they make these things..."

He set down the ale. "The beer is alright. Aanarans are known more for their vodka. Powerful stuff, but it goes down easy."

Shamelessly showing her true colors, Pandora downed the rest of her pint in one long guzzle. The distinctly unladylike action garnered a mixture of surprised and baffled stares from onlookers. She responded by giving them all a very proud, satisfied smile before turning back to Savien as if nothing had happened.

“Is there more?”

Savien’s eye twitched. “That’s…" he looked down at his own half-finished drink, perhaps a bit self-conscious. "...impressive…” He debated gulping the ale down in similar fashion, but decided against it. He hadn’t had an alcoholic beverage in some time. Best not to test his limits.

“There’s a drinking contest in the Aurellae, you know,” he took a sip of his ale. “Seems like you could give these Lutetians a run for their money.”

A massive grin spread across her face. “Really? Now that’s something I can relate to. I was far from the best in my village, but there were boys my age who lost drinking bets to me all the time. I’d love to give it a go.” She gave a hearty hoot of laughter, “I’ve been drinking stringer stuff since I was, well, their age,” she beamed, gesturing to the children gathered around the fire breather.

The onlookers from before had shifted from expressions of mild disgust to expressions of disbelief; some jaws even hung open. Pandora took note and looked back to Savien with a tight expression of regret. “I crossed a line, didn’t I…” She quietly scooted her glass away from her, savoring the feeling of the cool condensation on her fingertips. These people were pretty stiff if they thought that was strange, she thought, but if it was fitting in she was set on doing, she’d have to rein it in a little bit… at least until she found herself at a drinking contest. Then, to hell with it. She gave the people a polite smile and returned to her meal.

Picking up the last piece of meat on her plate and digging into it a bit less ravenously than she naturally would have, Pandora seemed more or less content. She swallowed her bite and went to wipe her mouth on her sleeve. She caught Savien's reproachful gaze as her greasy lips were but inches away from her fine linens and stopped. She grinned and slowly lowered her arm, reaching instead for a nearby napkin with which she gracefully dabbed her mouth. "I am trying..." she sighed.

"So," she turned in her seat and looked around the fairgrounds, "what else is there to do here? It's much to light out for too much drink, and we've only just started looking about. This sort of… ordeal is unfamiliar to me. Do we do more than eat and drink? Is there storytelling at some point around a large fire? Are there songs?”

Savien chuckled at her attempt at etiquette. "And I am proud of you for trying."

What was there to do? "Well, we are in a carnival of sorts." He gestured towards the stage. "We can watch a performance..." Pointed to the musicians. "...listen to some music..." Towards of the tents. "...get our fortunes read. It's up to you, really. What strikes you the most?"

She waved her hand dismissively: "Watch, watch. What is there to DO?" She paused, "Wait," quirking an eyebrow, she continued slowly; "fortune telling? Like the kind mystics do?" Pandora gave Savien a gravely inquisitive look. "I thought those kind of things were bad luck. I was told never to listen if anyone tried to tell me my future. It would curse someone if they knew their future."

"Hm?" Savien looked confused. "I mean ... it's not real. Most of us are Evequists. No one actually believes in it. It's just." He shrugged. "For fun. Some of the puritans in the church frown on it, but for the most part no one takes it seriously." He pointed towards the tent. "Do you want to go?"

Pandora noticeably recoiled, shaking her head furiously. "I don't want to risk cursing my life. What if something happens? What if you get hurt or I get sick or, I don't know, something happens to my home?" She scooted back on the bench as she spoke, nearly falling off the end by the time she reached the end of her statement. She squirmed and fiddled with her hands uncomfortably. "I trust you, but... I'm scared. You can't protect me from fate..." she looked up from her hands, "can you...?"

He perked a brow. "I don't think any mortal can, Pandora." He shook his head. "But … fate. Is there such a thing? I’m not sure if I can protect you from what's not real."

He gestured to the stage. "Look, if you don't want to get your fortune read, we can see the players? I think they're about to begin 'The Redemption of Paragon.'"

Pandora furrowed her brow and gave him a skeptical look. "Aren't you a 'man of faith'?" she asked him. "I mean, I don't mean to be rude, but you talk about what isn't real and protecting people... Have you seen your God? I mean actually seen them and talked to them and stuff?" She sensed the tension in the air and moved closer to Savien cautiously. "I mean, in a way, my fear of fate and your devotion to Selene are one in the same, right? Sure, I think there's something up there or out there, but I don't know what or where. It's just... there, I guess. I don't know. I have words for this, but I don't know how to say them how you'd understand, and I'm afraid you'll think me rude for what I've already tried and probably failed to say..."

Pandora frowned deeply, pulling her brows down and clenching her fists. She pounded one small fist against the side of the bench absent-mindedly, trying to vent some of her frustration and find at least some words to save face.

"Stupid language, making things hard..." she muttered. She began pounding the bench harder with the one fist while tugging uncomfortably at her hair and collar with the other hand. A small, barely-audible growl began rising in her chest and her breathing intensified into a rhythmic, heated pant between sporadic bouts of growling.

Her frustration was, as usual, adorable. Savien couldn’t help but smile, something he seemed to do with increasing frequency around Pandora. "There are different doctrines of my faith," he explained, "some of which argue as you do. That there’s fate. Or God, I guess we’d call it God. And He ordains all, has a plan for everything.” He took another sip, tracing along the edge of his mug with his thumb. “Anything we say or do is orchestrated by the Wick to complete some kind of ‘master plan’." He shrugged. "It's comforting, I suppose. There's something nice about looking evil in the face and having faith that it's there for a reason - that God is working everything out for good. But I don't know if I share that belief. The Wick is real, true. It is good, it is perfect, it is powerful." He shook his head. "But the Wyrm exists too. Bad things happen everyday - good people killed or harmed for seemingly no reason at all. I don't believe that God would ordain the massacre of an entire town or the creation of evils such as Tenebre or Raragnon because of some ultimate goal. The end doesn't justify the means."

His brows knit as he spoke and he seemed to stare out into empty space. "No... there's too much evil in the world to make me believe it's all fated. That it's all planned. Evil doesn't exist because of fate or God, it exists because of us. Because of our choices." He scratched at his temple. "That's not as 'happy', I suppose, as the other way. It means that sometimes there's not a reason why innocent people get hurt. It means that bad things happen for no actual purpose - that human life is lost senselessly." He looked at Pandora and smiled. "But it also means that we - man, woman, children of the Wick - have the ability to make the world a better place by the strength of our own actions, that we are endowed with the power to create real difference through our courage and will. And I think that's a more powerful, meaningful way of looking at things than 'fate' can ever attest to."

Her tension calmed as Savien explained how it all worked. She released her fists and listened intently.

"Some of the elders in Mydalsa, my village, used to say that certain people were Chosen for certain roles in life. It's funny. Sometimes, the people who are Chosen 'by fate' -- or by whatever sets us on our life's course -- are not what you would expect for the job. Look at me. I'm small. I was Chosen to be a hunter, a protector of the herds. I'm smaller than many of the things I defended my herds against, and yet here I am. Were I not Chosen for the part, I don't imagine I would have been any good at what I used to do." Her face turned from a pensive gaze to an upturned pout as she revisited her gaze on Savien's visage. "Sir Durandet," she ventured, clearly troubled, "do you think I was meant to leave Mydalsa? Was I meant for something more or to find something? What if I went back? Would that go against 'fate'?"

Suddenly, her face blanched and Pandora drew in a short, frightened breath. "What if something horrible happened and I was taken away by fate to... to protect me... to save me... keep me alive?" She glanced around, lost, before staring adamantly at the cluster of carnival tents. "What if the fortune reader knows. Come on!" Pandora grabbed Savien by the wrist and pulled hard, running almost in place as she tried to move his mass, "I need to know!"

"I don't think anyone's 'chosen' for anything," Savien replied, "I told you, fate isn't-" He was cut off as Pandora grabbed him by the wrist and yanking him forward with her not-inconsiderable strength. He stumbled up to his feet and dragged behind her.

"Alright, alright, slow down..." he shook his head, "...come on. We'll see what she knows. Should be entertaining, if nothing else."

Pandora galloped along, hauling Savien behind her. She scanned each tent as she passed by, eyes wide and frantic, her breathing labored as she dragged the knight along, shouldering people out of the way as she wove through the crowds. Finally, she spotted a tent with a bead door. A faint smell of incense drifted out on dissipating curls of grayish brown smoke. Pandora wheeled sharply to the left and burst into the tent.

"I need to know something!" she blurted, gasping for air. She coughed on the smoke. "I need to know what has happened to my people since I left. Where are they? Are they okay? What--" her next question was interrupted by another bout of coughing. She doubled over, trying to catch her breath, swatting her way back toward the door to catch a breath of air that wasn't mostly smoke.

Once her coughing had subsided, she stood up straight, realigned her garments, which now clung to her clammy skin, walked as composed as she could over to the soothsayer's table, sat down, stared the old woman in the eyes and told her gravely, "I must know the fate of Mydalsa."

as written by Peachy00Keen and Ronin

The old woman offered a crooked smile and held her finger to Pandora's lips.

"Shhhhh, I know what you seek, Pandora."

She pulled open a rather creaky cabinet to retrieve an ornate copper box, embossed with swirling patterns and arcane symbols. At the center of the lid lay a brilliant sapphire, cut to an almond shape with the pattern of an iris carved into it, set in a diamond of silver. She opened the latch with a click and slowly opened the lid. As the gemstone rotated out of view, the eye engraving seemed to move to watch the girl. Most likely simply a trick of the light.

Within, the box was lined with velvet and contained a deck of cards, the back of each one sporting an identical simplistic design. The hag picked up the cards and gingerly placed the deck on the table. She closed the box and placed it on the floor by her feet, and gently clasped her hands together.

"The human mind holds back much from itself, often to protect from the past. However, ink and paper do not lie. They have nothing to hide," she gently swiped her hands along the deck, fanning the cards face-down along the table. Her left hand took a second pass over the line of cards, pulling three from the lineup into her palm.

She laid down the first card: A finely-dressed man sitting disgruntled below nine gilded goblets. Before saying anything, the old lady placed the second card beside it, five men locked in combat with swords, slicing and stabbing at each other.

"The nine of cups tells a tale of insatiable greed, a lust for possessions. Alongside it lay the five of swords, conflict. Bandits and thieves fell upon the town, seeking to loot it for something it had that they desired, be it money, food or even slaves. As for the fate of the town.." she laid the final card down, depicting a tall tower crumbling and consumed by flame. "The Tower is an omen of destruction. Mydalsa was burned to the ground."

The woman scooped the full deck into a stack with an almost reverse motion of before, and placed it within the box. When she clicked the case shut, the eye once again seemed to follow Pandora.

"Beware when you seek such knowledge. It can often leave one with more questions than answers," The hag's gaze fell upon the girl again, at which point a new detail about her could be made out.

Neither eye seemed to be functional, both pupils were scarred and clouded irreparably.

Initially taken aback by fearful wonder when the strange old woman knew her name, Pandora needed to know more. As the cars were revealed, her head began to shake in disagreement. When the final card turned it was her body that began to shake next, convulsing in small shudders brought on by internalized sobs.

The old hag's eyes met Pandora's, her marred gaze meeting the girl's intense brown eyes with a depth that seemed impossible. The barbarian girl turned away from the stare, pushed Savien aside, and fled from the tent.

She took off running, coursing past people, throwing aside those in her way, tears streaming down her face. It couldn't be true. It wouldn't be so. She had to see for herself.

Her feet stopped running only when she reached the knight's motorcycle. Her blouse was coming unbuttoned, her hair had fallen into haphazard strands and flyaways, and her face was contorted into a mixture of fury, torment, and panic. She mounted the great bike and tried desperately to figure out how to turn it on.

Savien had borne the fortune teller's theatrics with minimal fuss, but as the Aanaran flat-out prophesied the destruction of Pandora's hometown, he stood up in protest.

"You've got to be-" His eyes widened as his companion fled the tent. "Pandora, wait!" Too late. She had disappeared into the festival.

The paladin turned to the hag and growled. "Couldn't of just read her palm, huh?" He stormed out of the tent without another word and chased after the girl.

He found her on his bike. "Pandora..." He stopped a few feet away. "...listen, I don't know what that lady's on, but you..."

He looked into her eyes, saw the fear, the pain, the genuine panic. The knight swallowed, his assurances evaporated. What should he say? What comfort could he give?

"Hey, hey, look at me." He came near and lay a hand over her fingers where they gripped the throttle. "You're okay. You're fine. We're okay..."

Tears spilled forth as Pandora gripped the handlebars til her knuckles were white. "That WENCH!" she spat, "That old wrinkly devil woman! She's wrong!"

She continued pawing at buttons and controls with her one free hand as she cried, becoming more and more agitated. She found the ignition but couldn't turn it on. The motorcycle growled once and went quiet again. Pandora screamed. She turned to Savien and pounded on his chest with both fists, hysterical.

"I should never have gone in there!" she wailed, fists drumming angrily on the knight's wide torso. "She's a liar! A fake! She can't be right! She can't... She...." The screams subsided to pitiful sobs and the drumming became more gentle until her hands found a gathering of fabric each. She clung to Savien like a child, wrapped in her terror and pain. She cried.

Somewhere inside, she feared very truly that what the mystic had said was in sooth. She had been experiencing nightmares much like what the old woman had described. Flames; men, women, and children all screaming as they ran from their homes; murder in the streets; familiar faces mangled and torn, their sanguined visages soiled with mud and contorted in terror. She had brushed those nightmares aside as wanderings of her worried mind. Perhaps she should have paid them more heed.

Pandora turned her tear-streaked face upward. Her eyes were bloodshot, her hair a ragged mess, and her blouse hanging off of one shoulder, three buttons undone by the chaos. She sniffled and wiped her face on a sleeve before taking a deep breath:

"Sir Durandet, I must return to Mydalsa. I need to know what has truly become of my home."

Savien froze for a moment as Pandora flung herself around him, thick arms suspended above his shoulders awkwardly. He brought them down in increments, gradually taking the girl into his embrace. He felt her tears through his uniform, brows knit in quiet concern. The paladin was accustomed to watching people suffering, but there was something particularly unsettling about seeing Pandora break down. She'd been a bastion of happiness and innocence in an otherwise depressing and grim world - a breath of uncivilized optimism in the face of Lutetia's aristocratic fatalism. He didn't like to see her hurt.

Was there merit to the old soothsayer's prophecy? She'd known what Pandora wanted without being told and new the name of her hometown. It seemed likely she was connected to the arcane - though such a correlation meant little in regards to her honesty.

"I understand," he nodded, "we should look into getting you off Issunar." He offered a slight smile. "You won't get there on my bike, demoiselle. You'll need to take a plane. Your home is in Northern Terra, in TNG territory. That's an ocean away." He reached down and helped fix her mangled clothes, pulling her shirt back and re-doing her buttons.

"Then how did I...?" She began to protest as the knight adjusted her garments. New questions began cropping up left and right in her mind about how she had gotten here. She remembers waking up once along the journey, on horseback, in a forest. She didn't remember a plane or a boat.

"I don't want to get on a plane. I don't trust them. They weigh too much to be birds." She wiped away a rogue tear, "And I certainly don't want to go there alone. What if the old woman speaks the truth? What if it's gone?" Tears began welling up in her eyes again, but they were abruptly caught in a choke as a new wave of fear passed through her spine. "What if it's become a camp for Northland raiders? What if they killed my people and took the town as their home?" Her eyes drifted a moment, "My poor yaks..."

Suddenly, her mood shifted. Pandora tightened her hands into fists and gritted her teeth. "Whatever happened, if it was recent, I might be able to track them... And I could... I could..." Her composure shattered and she began crying again. No more words made their way out through her sobs. Pandora only shook her head "no," denying everything she had heard.

Savien squeezed her shoulder, heartbeat stuttering at the mention of 'raiders'. He didn't know much about comforting people, but hunting monsters and criminals was his profession, his life.

"If it's true, we'll find them." He nodded firm and resolute, before acquiescing to a softer tone. "Come. You won't get to Terra in a day. Let's head back to the Monastery, get some rest. I can help you get to the Northlands."

A small, barely-visible smile. "And planes aren't birds, Pandora."

On the way back to the Monastery, Pandora asked a lot of questions: How will we get to Mydalsa? How will we find the people responsible if they aren't still there? What do we do when we do find them? How long will the trip be?

Eventually, she exhausted herself and fell asleep. In the morning, she would don some warmer clothes and pack lightly for an unfamiliar trip to a familiar land.

--------

Pandora stood at the doors of the Monastery, staring out at the bright, warm Lutetia day. She was sweating in her furs, having become accustomed to the cooler clothes and warmer temperatures of this southerly land. In her hand she carried a small roll of personal affects, and on her body, she had concealed all of her knives. It was a comfortable feeling to her. She smiled briefly to herself. Shuffling sounds carried out the open Monastery door behind her.

"Hurry up, Savien; we're going to be late!" Pandora squeaked, bouncing with excitement. Over the course of the night, something had flipped in her mind and she had convinced herself that what she had heard from the soothsayer was simply lies. She was going home and that was all that mattered. Metal birds be damned, she was going home. She closed her eyes and pretended she was back on the mountainside, watching over the yaks. Smoke curled from the chimneys of the village buildings, especially the tavern. Sounds of people and carts filled the air with a gentle organic hum of life. Below, the yaks chuffed and grunted, grazing contentedly. Pandora opened her eyes slowly, sighing and smiling. "I want to see home again."

As soon as the knight came into view, Pandora hid behind the outer wall and peeked around the door frame, playfully. "Where's home for you, Sir Durandet? Surely you didn't live here all your life."

In the back of her mind, behind the playful and excited facade, a part of her knew this excitement would be short-lived. It knew that things would be different in Mydalsa, for better or for worse. She had been gone a while, and if nothing worse, the people who lived there would surely think her dead. At some point, she would need to sober up and face the fact that change was inevitable, and that the odds were hardly favorable that Mydalsa would be just as she had left it. For now, though, she chose the path of complacent naivety, but the shadowy reality she had so carefully tucked aside was slowly creeping back into place.

Savien descended carrying a luggage in one hand and a huge military sack over his shoulder. He tugged uncomfortably at the polo shirt covering his frame, looking every now and then with horror at the denim cladding his legs. Sweet God. He was wearing jeans. He knew why, of course; he couldn't get on a plane in full plate, and his uniform had no purpose outside of the city. He was leaving Issunar - if only for a couple days - and he needed to look more like the rest of the world. Still, the coarse material covering his legs bothered him to no end. Where was the flexibility in these things? The protection? His uniform, at least, looked nice, served an aesthetic function if not a utilitarian one. These? They were blue. Savien hadn't worn anything blue in his life. How this was the prevalent dress ware among males these days, he'd never know.

He told himself it was all for a good cause, and it was. The little northerner who'd shown up one night shivering in a church was finally going back where she belonged. Pandora was going home. But in all, he was more than a bit hesitant to leave the city. Administratively he was entirely justified. Paladins got very little time-off, but in his seven plus years of service, Savien had taken all of twelve hours of designated leave. He had vacation time galore. It was the timing that bothered him. Caer on the loose, black magic trafficking killing young girls, people missing from their schools ... there was no shortage of cases that commanded Savien's attention. He belonged here, serving his city, protecting his people.

But the paladin dispelled his anxieties with a gruff. Two days. The city would last two days. Pandora needed him. She deserved far more than two days of his time. He'd promised to be there for her, to protect to the end. He would honor his agreement.

He smiled at her as she peeked out from the doorway. The paladin descended the steps and began loading the luggage into the car they were taking to the airport.

"I have, actually," he nodded, "I was taken in as a child, an orphan. Trained in the Academy." He shut the trunk and rounded the car, nodding to the Monastery and the towers of the Academy peeking over the walls. "This is home, I suppose - or as much a home as a place can be to a man."

He looked back to Pandora. "Did you print out your passport, like I told you?"

She traced a circle in the dirt with the toe of her boot, avoiding eye contact with Savien. The longer she avoided the answer, the more uncomfortable she felt.

"I couldn't figure it out..." she said very quietly, still not looking up. From one of the bags at her side, she produced a mangled set of papers. "I wrote everything down though."

She finally looked up, her little face twisted in embarrassment and subtle pride at her best attempt to fix the issue. "I used to copy documents in Mydalsa, sometimes, though there weren't very many to copy. I thought it would be okay." She offered the papers to Savien for inspection.

From the poor lighting within the Monastery, Pandora hadn't noticed what he was wearing. Now that he was standing in broad daylight, she was able to get a better look. She had seen shirts with collars before, so that wasn't what perplexed her -- many of the blouses Savien had helped her pick out had collars on them. What puzzled her most were his pants. She quirked and eyebrow as she crouched beside his feet and picked up a small section of fabric by his ankles. It was rough. She tried stretching it. It didn't give. Pandora crinkled her nose as she stood up.

"Those seem impractical," she announced of her discovery, gesturing to his blue jeans.

"They are," Savien replied quickly, the disgust in his voice more than evident, "but people wear these quite frequently. All over Valore." He shook his head. "I will never understand the fashions of the world, but if I'm to travel with you, I must look at least somewhat... normal."

He took the mess of papers with a slight wince, sifting through them as best he could. "These. Ah. Should be fine." Hopefully he could work something out with the customs agent. "Come on, let's get going." He motioned for her to get into the passenger seat.

Buckled up, they exited the Monastery and began driving through Lemeux. Savien kept a firm hand on the wheel, checking his rearview mirror every now and then.

"Pandora," he said after a time, "I know you're excited to get home, but..." A slight hesitation. "...have you considered the possibility that the fortune teller was... telling the truth?" He looked over at her. "It seems very unlikely, and I don't think she was - but you should preparing yourself nonetheless." The soothsayer had a touch of arcane - there was no doubt about that. Savien knew nothing about magic, but a mystic soothsayer was probably more in touch with the gift of farsight than a swindling pseudo-psychic.

A somber demeanor settled over Pandora, shrouding her in a strangely knowing and almost arcanely wise aura. She stared ahead at the road, her expression blank.

"I believe that I knew the true fate of Mydalsa long before we even went to the carnival," she spoke, her words soft but certain and carefully picked. "I have had... visions, of sorts, in the past, particularly where disaster was involved. I had a nightmare once, as a child, about the old granary burning down. Within the week, the building succumbed to a fire started by an unattended lantern. When I was a little older, I had a nightmare about one of my friends' little brothers falling into a frozen lake and dying of extreme cold he could not recover from. He slipped on an icy pond later that month and became very sick. One night, after much coughing and shivering, he fell asleep and did not awake."

Pandora turned a vacant, placid stare to Savien. "I fear the worst for Mydalsa. You seem to think me somewhat of a child, and in your world, perhaps I am. But remember, knight, that in my village, I was a guardian. A sentinel. I protected people and animals from the beasts of the wild, and I stood judge over those who entered from my end of the village. I kept my home safe." She took a long, slow breath. "The nightmares about Mydalsa have come to me, night after night, each time showing a different horrible detail. Children screaming on one night. Men and women burning alive, running aflame from their homes another night. My home crumbling to the ground in brilliant flame, my family trapped within, the scourge of another night's sleep. Today, I decided I would try to ignore those obvious messages of horror and fear. I decided I would try to have hope that my home and everything I have ever known and loved would be just as I left it. I know deep within my being that there will likely be little left beyond ash, skeletons, and tears, but my mother, whom I can only assume is now dead and her ashes scattered to the wind, she once told me to be brave. Be strong. Do not fear that which comes to me in slumber. I would always put on a brave face for her after those nightmares. I became the woman to fend off the living nightmares of others -- bears, wolves, occasionally looters and thieves -- and yet, in my mind I am trapped. I cannot stab a vision. I cannot slash a shadow. I cannot confront a memory. When there is darkness in the mind, the only light that will carry and scare away the darkest of shadows is the light of hope."

She broke off the empty stare and returned her attention to the quickly-passing landscape outside the car window. She said nothing more until they arrived at the airport.

Savien listened in thoughtful silence. He'd never seen this side of Pandora before - the somber wisdom, the grief mingled with strength. It was a strange maturity, one which he found easy to identify with - hopeless perseverance. The will to carry oneself towards certain doom. He felt a newfound respect for her, a quiet kinship between two sentinels, two guardians.

"Then away with visions," Savien declared after she'd finished, "away with shadows and smoke. We will find the truth." A firm, stoic nod. "We will bring the Light."

as written by Peachy00Keen, RAmenAmen, and Ronin

Pandora and Savien exited the car in front of a large building full of busy people rushing back and forth. People carried bags and moved in every direction. Cars cluttered the parking lots, loud metal birds she could only assume were airplanes screeched overhead, enormous and seemingly close enough to reach up and touch. It was all overwhelming and mildly terrifying. They retrieved their bags from the trunk of the car and walked toward a set of doors that opened like magic. There was another odd door mounted on a pole nearby. It spun like a mill wheel turned on its side. Inside, every surface inside the building shone with either polished stone or brushed metal. The air smelled sharp. It was a metallic smell mixed with the smell of sweat and anxiety. Pandora didn't like it.

Pandora hung close by Savien's side, afraid that if she stepped away from him for a moment, she would get swept up in the crowd and whisked away like a leaf in a river. She clutched her documents. Apparently, in the stress of taking in everything about the airport, Pandora had wrung and crumbled her hand-written papers. She stopped for a moment to try to flatten them out on her leg. They looked messy and the ink had smeared slightly in places. She frowned.

When she looked up, Savien was a few paces ahead of her. Her heart leapt and she bounded through the distance between them, closing the gap as fast as possible. When she returned to his side and realized that she was still there, she felt a little more at ease.

As they walked, the adrenaline that had built up upon their arrival began to dwindle in her system. Other issues made themselves known. Pandora looked around in the crowd for a restroom. When she spotted one, she tugged on Savien's sleeve.

"Can you watch my bags for a moment? I need to use the bathroom," she asked, pointing in the direction she would be headed.

The car came to a brief halt, and Eris heard a gate moving. The car started driving again, only to stop a few minutes later. There were two knocks on the partition window, followed by the sound of the driver door opening. The passenger door opened soon after, revealing another nondescript gloved man, presumably her chauffer. Eris left the empty briefcase behind and stepped out into a small storage area. She was a mere ten paces from a security door, blinking green as if to invite her in.

"Of course," he nodded. He checked his watch. They still had a bit of time before their flight departed, should be fine. "I'll be out here."

The knight had been to the airport before, but usually never as a civilian. He'd only been off the continent once in his life on a training exercise and had only been a plane twice. Still, he wasn't nervous. Planes were safer than his destrier, all things considered. He imagined the hardest part would be keeping Pandora from freaking out. Or maybe she wouldn't. Either way, they should probably pass on any in-flight alcoholic refreshments...

Eris scanned her ID badge in the little card reader by the door. It beeped and she heard a locking mechanism release. She pulled on the handle and the door swung freely open.

Damn. The guy sure seems to know his stuff.

Inside, the airport was bustling with life, as per usual. While in the car, Eris had managed to look up floor plans for the building. Based on that design layout, the security stations she was looking for should have been down the terminal, to the left, in a little room in the middle of the hall. At a leisurely pace, Eris began making her way through the crowd. As she walked, she pondered.

So, the captive is going to likely be by the knight's side at all times. I can't imagine he'd let her wander too far. That means I will need to create a diversion or somehow else get her away from him. Once in the security room, I can see where they are and decide the best course of action.

Eris turned down a short hallway that ended in a locked door. She slid her ID card again and the door unlocked. She made her way to the security camera monitoring room. Fortunately for her, the security area was pretty quiet. In her pockets, she had the four darts from her employer, along with the darts loaded into her own gun, which she carried in a holster. Using it in such a crowded place as an airport likely wouldn't result in the desired outcome, but it was better to have it, if not mostly for appearances' sake.

The door to the monitoring room was already unlocked. Eris had one of the darts concealed in one of her hands, holding it between her fingers so that the tip faced out with her palm. When she opened the door, the guy in the chair slowly began to turn around. Before he could see her face, Eris patted him on the shoulder.

"Your shift's up, man," she said in a casually friendly tone, "time for a break. Go grab a coffee or something."

He gave her a puzzled look and his eyelids began to flutter. "I just-" he began to say, but the serum made its way through his system rapidly, meaning that her carefully placed "pat" had hit its target artery dead on. The man slumped in his chair. As he was slipping out of consciousness, Eris slowly closed and locked the door behind them. She pocketed her empty dart and arranged the man in the chair so it looked like he had simply dozed off. Rolling the chair to the side, Eris stood before the array of screens and scanned them for the faces she was looking for.

In a screen showing the main lobby, pre-security, Eris spotted the paladin, first. Though he was in civilian clothes, his wide frame and proud stance set him apart from the sea of people flowing around him. He had two sets of luggage with him and the captive was nowhere to be seen. Eris scanned the other monitors.

On a nearby screen, she caught a brief glimpse of a skittish looking girl, short, sliding into the bathroom. She wouldn't have recognized her had the girl not turned to look back at the last moment, showing her face to the camera and revealing a scar and a tribal tattoo.

Bingo.

Eris moved the chair with the unconscious man back into position and plugged a flash drive into the terminal. It paused the screens for a moment before showing across all screens an installation bar. It loaded quickly and the screens all came back up with CCTV security footage. The numbers at the bottom of the screen flicked from the end of a reel to the beginning, letting her know she had about two hours of canned footage to use while she took care of business.

Subtle, she thought of the timestamp flicker, I could get used to working for someone with some brains for once.

Removing the flash drive, Eris cracked open the door out of the room and peeked around to make sure the coast was clear. Nobody was about. She left the room as she had found it, save for the now-unconscious guard at the watch of pre-recorded footage.

Wearing a stoic face, she reemerged into the airport proper and made her way toward the front lobby, in front of the security checkpoint.

---

Today must have been the day that Lutetians mutually agreed to have a mass exodus. The vestibule was packed with people of all ages. She scanned the crowd as she moved carefully through it, another dart concealed in her hand. Her uniform allowed her to blend in seamlessly with the rest of the airport hullabaloo. Nobody batted an eyelash.

Sticking out slightly above the crowd, Eris spotted the knight. He had his eyes in the direction of the bathrooms, presumably waiting for the barbarian girl to reemerge.

Weaving through the crowd, with expert care, she wound her way over to him. Coming up from behind, she picked up her speed a bit to something between a jog and a trot. She forced a stumble and toppled into his back, her hand landing near his shoulder blade, the dart piercing the skin.

"Oh, monsieur!" she exclaimed, righting herself. "I'm terribly sorry. Excuse me."

With some sleight of hand, she had tucked the dart away as she brushed off her uniform. As she backed away from him, she held up both hands apologetically and continued on her way.

Nailed the spot. By the time I get out of the bathroom, he should be down on the floor, unconscious. That ought to cause enough of a diversion for me to slip out with the girl. I just need to find her first and hope she listens to reason.

Inside the ladies' room, Eris waited by the inside corner of the twice-bent hallway that separated the restroom from the vestibule. She didn't have to wait long before Pandora emerged from one of the stalls. Another dart was tucked in her hand, waiting, just in case.

"Pandora DeSangue," Eris stated in a sturdy, authoritative voice.

Pandora looked up from washing her hands. "Me?" she asked, pointing her thumb at her chest, water streaming down her hand and off of her elbow.

"Yes, ma'am," she nodded, extending her empty hand in a friendly gesture. "My name is officer Bellegarde. I request that you come with me, for your own safety."

Pandora shook her head. "No, I'm just going to the bathroom. I feel fine."

Eris gave a genuinely bemused half-smile and shook her own head. "I understand, Miss DeSangue. You may feel safe, but I have been given orders to take you into safe custody for the time being. Your 'chaperone,' is under suspicion of abduction."

"Abduction?" Pandora parroted, startled and confused. "Of who, me?" She had abandoned washing her hands at this point and begun shaking her head furiously. "No, no. There must be a... a... some sort of mistake. I asked him to take me here. He's taking me home."

"Miss," Eris said, holding her extended hand up in a halting, calming gesture. "Miss, please remain calm. I know this news is startling, but I need you to come with me to security so we can get you back safely."

Her little hands had begun flexing in and out of fists, her knuckles whitening with every clench. "No, Savien is my friend! He wouldn't try to hurt me."

"Miss," Eris widened her stance, bracing for impact. The girl had been triggered. She would either try to run or attempt to retaliate. One way or the other, she was going to end up unconscious. Briefly noticing a glimmer on the floor, Eris realized the floor in front of her (and the paper towel dispenser) was slightly wet: A perfect scapegoat.

Before Eris could continue her thought, she looked up from the wet floor to see the girl charging at her. She held both hands, anticipating the situation. "Miss, be careful! The floor is wet!"

As the last word left the security woman's mouth, Pandora felt her feet slide out from under her, momentum carrying her into the officer's solid body with a significant thud. The officer stumbled back, catching her and thumping into the wall behind her from the impact. She was slightly dazed, but she shook it off and continued fighting, her body now in the officer's firm grip.

"I don't want you to take me from him!" Pandora protested. "He's protected me since I got here! You're a big bully, you... you...!" Too caught up in trying to wrestle her way free of the woman's grip, Pandora abandoned trying to use language and simply focused on squirming.

In the slide and subsequent crash into the wall, Eris had dropped the dart. It now lie on the floor, a few feet away, at the edge of the puddle. Shit. She shifted the weight of the fussing girl to her left-hand side and pulled the final dart out of her pocket. This is why you always carry spares, she thought to herself as she nestled it in her fingers and brought the dart up to the girl's neck. And 3...2...1...

Pandora felt a pinch against her neck as the brutish security guard held her captive in one arm. "I'm going to tell Sir Durandet of this and he's gonna... he's gonna..." Her eyes got wide and began to wander. "He's gonna tell me... why my neck hurts... Huh..." Darkness crept into her vision, bringing on an unnatural slumber. It wasn't an unfamiliar sensation, but in the heat of the moment and under the influence of the tranquilizer serum, nothing made much sense.

Eris watched as the girl fell limp in her arms. Finally. She returned the fourth dart to the pocket of empty darts, and, with her hands free, Eris scooped Pandora up and carried her out of the restroom.

In the vestibule, a crowd had gathered in front of the security gates. Paramedics were trying to push through the crowd of people. Over the commotion, she thought she heard a woman cry out a prayer for Selene to save the man, for he hath done only good unto their people.

Knighty knight, Sir Durandet, Eris chuckled maniacally to herself, keeping the words, laughter, and smug grin expertly concealed behind a façade of strict business.

With the girl in tow, the paladin neutralized, and the crowd distracted, Eris snuck out the side exit, returning to the tarmac where her employer's vehicle awaited her.

Savien waited patiently, arms crossed as the crowds milled past him. A plane must have just arrived. Far from uncomfortable in a crowd, the paladin was nonetheless a bit suspicious as hordes of people brushed past him. So much contact. This passageway was a pickpockets dream...

The prick on his shoulder. Not a pinch. Not a bug bite. Needlepoint. Needle. His eyes widened, muscles tensing. He knew the touch of metal on his skin when he felt it - knew intentional contact from accident. He'd been pricked.

His heart hammered in his chest. Time. He had seconds Would it kill him? If so, he was already dead. Nothing he could do about that. If not, she'd made a grave mistake. He would spend every moment before he succumbed doing all he could to glean clues about what was going on. The paladin's eyes were iron as the woman turned and offered him an apology, memorizing every visible feature, the tone of her voice. His hands outstretched to grab her. Wring her neck. Yank her back by the hair.

But the muscles refused to obey the mind. The toxin was already dulling his senses, fraying the tether between thought and locomotion. His eyelids drooped as he saw her head towards the bathroom. Pandora. With horror, he realized this wasn't about him at all.

"Pan..." his tongue was lead in his mouth. He tried to walk. They wanted her. He couldn't let them have her. He was supposed to protect her. Supposed to keep her safe. He promised. He promised her...

With inhuman willpower, he managed a step - foot smacking against the floor with dumb strength, already half dead. His feet were wooden, his legs were iron, a deep fatigue smoking his brain and demanding his cognition surrender to oblivion. Teeth clenched, growl loosing from his throat, he denied it. A fire raged in his soul, an anger born of indignation, born of fear. The fear of failure. The fear of letting someone he cared about get hurt. Again. Again. Another step. His hand moved shakily upwards, fingers outstretched towards the door. He could still save her. He could save them all...

"Pan...dor....a..."

His eyes rolled into the back of his head and he collapsed to the floor. The rest was black.

This was his kind of town, all told. No cops, no rules - other than the rules - and a city full of people so used to ridiculous shit that they didn't even bat an eyelash at his dress sense. Which... was actually a little disappointing, all told.

Torrential had draped himself in a large fur coat, made of some kind of silky animal that probably was pretty far down the endangered list. He was shirtless beneath it, smooth dark skin adorned in a clavicle piercing and a tattoo of what appeared to be a yellow polar bear on his stomach. He wore skintight purple pants, combat boots, sunglasses.

It was two in the morning.

Crossing one ankle over the other, leaning in a dark alleyway off of one of the main streets, Torrential watched the thinning crowd of wanderers - all of them sticking in groups, talking loudly. The bars had just let out, allowing lights to briefly flash in the darkened streets in time with doors opening and shutting. Noise circled and echoed off of run down buildings, open sewer vents, cracked sidewalks. His tongue played with a toothpick, rolling it over his bottom lip, wedging it between his front two teeth.

Torrential was bored.

As written by CaerJester, glmstr, and Rorshach's_Journal

Why Nox had decided to bring her along, he might never be able to truly figure out. But the voice that plagued his every thought had commanded it of the Patriarch, and like a good puppet, the towering undead had obeyed. However, his stride was not sacrificed for his bride-to-be's comfort. The Caer had places to be. People to seek. Allies to gather.

So many unaffiliated, so many Houseless. Apparently the lash-back against the other vampire houses after the Skirmishes had not been kind, not in the slightest. The idea of his cowardly and traitorous kindred suffering did nothing but fill the marble-skinned giant with dark mirth. Let them be broken. He would collect the scraps left behind from the war and launch a second coming. Every day, his fledgling army grew, but what he needed were commanders. Soldiers. Ones who no longer wished to hide from the daylight, but instead extinguish it, and the life of every mortal in this city.

"Come along. Faster. We might not catch him before he flees with his prey if we don't hurry."

Of course, Nox bit his tongue. He'd have already arrived if not for this brood-sow.

His betrothed did not offer a response, only a quickening of her already labored pace. While she still bore the familiar cloak of feathers, Aurelie forwent the headgear and instead brought a dark hood to cover her head. Even if there was no sun to hide from, the fabric still instilled some sense of security, which was all she could necessarily hope for.

This grasping for hope, after all, is precisely why she brought along a firearm and blade, even if they may not be of use.

It was almost a scent on the wind that stirred the man in question's blood, had his head whipping in the direction that the other two approached. The feeling was like an itch at the base of the skull, a cold splash that made his hair stand on end, his eyes narrow behind his dark sunglasses.

Casually, in the dark of the alleyway he was perched upon, he slid a hand to curl around a silver knife blade, shifted his stance to better approximate a lower center of gravity - to flee or to fight, depending on who - what - was behind the interesting sensation.

Locking eyes with figure who towered over the crowd, he figured he had his answer.

Said towering figure came to a halt, eyes turning to face an alley that had opened at his side, holding an arm out to catch Aurelie's scurrying form. "Here. The one I seek is in here." The bride-to-be would have yelped in surprise, if it was not her betrothed's habit to pull her about in a similar manner.

Eyes flared, glowing bright for the shadows before him. Like beacons, they called, so resplendent was their shade of blue. There was an obvious power than, an unmasked and raw showing of might.

With a stride that spoke of untold arrogance and yet still somehow managed to be glorious in its grace, Nox made a bee-line for the watching figure. The stench of silver made a smile come to his thin, pale-blue lips. If things went sour, than the Caer hoped this elder's blade was blessed by some sort of divinity. For their sake.

Aurelie caught the glimmer of the metal and gripped tighter against her pistol, a century of practice and several Auraella festivals' worth of firearm knowledge playing over itself in her head.

Nox found one sided fights boring, after all. "Relax, kin. I mean no harm, not this night."

Not responding immediately, Torrential sized him up quickly - jerky head movements, with eyes hidden behind the dark lenses. Turning his head, he spat the toothpick onto the grimy asphalt, lifting one shoulder.

"I look worried?" he asked, his gaze shifting to Nox's companion. His gaze, the slow and easy look of a man who took his time, swept her features, her clothing, her... assets.

Tapping at his blade, he curled his lip upwards.

"This is how I say hello."

Nox smiled, slowly, a wicked shark grin that completely ruined his incredibly fair features. It split his mouth too wide, showed off far too many sharp looking triangular fangs. It was his trademark smile. His bride knew it well. Aurelie preferred not to look at it, as the sight even now made her uneasy. "A very straight-to-the-point way of greeting some one. I like your style already."

With a chuckle, Nox found a stack of discarded crates to lean upon, doing his best to not muddy his fine attire with the city's filth. "You don't reek of this place. You don't blend in. That means you haven't been here long. Tell me, one nosferatu to another. What brings you to Lutetia? What brings you to my city."

Might be jumping the gun a bit, but the Empeor of the Neo Caeruleum was nothing, if not confident.

Torrential kept his gaze on the woman as he responded to the man.

"Who wants to know?"

Before Nox even had a chance to respond, Aurelie gently nudged him with an elbow, with the intent to dampen his response. This was quickly becoming her job in the Caer's daily life.

His merriment soured upon his lips, and his gaze found the 'beloved' by his side. "Careful, dear. We are not yet that familiar." If she bore not his child within her womb, his response to the nudge would've been a hearty strike to the side of her head. And he hoped with all his dark might she knew that.

"I do. Nox Gildea Caeruleum. Third-boy, now tyrant of the Novus Imperium. Kindred undead to you, and future lord of this city."

Even beyond the limits of Issunar, the name of his family was known. After all, it was often that a single family managed to wage a private war with an entire country for nearly a decade.

Torrential sniffed at his response - a desperate attempt to keep up the casual, I'm-still-a-badass persona - though his head jerking in Nox's direction and the uptilt of his eyebrows betrayed it. His curled lip became a slow smile, his hand reaching upwards to pull the sunglasses off of his nose, revealing chocolate coloured eyes.

"Nice bag, lady," he said to Aurelie, then inclined his head in a sort of miniature bow towards the larger man.

The 'lady' declined to respond.

"I'm Torrential, fancy titles omitted. I'm mostly here because my fuck buddy's here."

Despite himself, Nox released a thunderous guffaw. "Oh, nevermind all this pretentious nonsense then!"

The air of cold superiority and nobility fled away, replaced instead by a charismatic magnetism. "Just tell me this then! What do you like to do, for fun? Do you like to fuck with humans, make their life a waking nightmare? Cause I like to do that stuff. You want in?"

The was an ebb of activated power at the edge of his words, like honey on a blade. Sweet, but dangerous in a stupid, simplistic way. As if each of his words held power of persuasion within them, so subtle was the attempted, passive charm that followed his speech.

Torrential smiled, slowly.

"See," he drawled, turning to fully face the other man for the first time, "now, I was just thinking about your name. Caeruleum. Rings a couple of bells in the ticker."

Tapping at his cranium with one hand, he fully drew the knife with the other, used it to casually point towards Nox. Before Aurelie even had time to think, her arm instinctively performed the movement so ingrained in every fiber, in an instant the vampiress had quick-drew her pistol and fired a single round at the knife itself, in an attempt to knock it from his hand. The only sound that signaled her action was the soft shuffling of cloth and the hissing of the silencer.

A shock wave of fel, icy power pulsed out from Nox, eyes growing wide and terrible, now little more than pupil-less icy portals.

Torrential watched the two of them, shifting from one to the other, and that slow smile sped up another few inches. He raised his now-empty hand towards the two of them, palm out, fingers curled lazily. A drop of blood from where the knife sliced into the back of his hand slid down his skin.

"Nervousness," he said, lightly, "is such an ugly trait in a man of your stature, Caeruleum."

Like layers from an onion, various barriers had fallen away, and before his eyes the Mad Dog of Nito had revealed a sliver of his true appearance. Mouth slack jawed and impossibly wide, it seemed to almost dangle stiffly as if disconnected or dislocated. Row after row of black shards, like diry ice, lined the maw that seemed to draw in what little light the alley had to offer. There was a fine glimmer to his aura, transcending the normal air of undeath and transforming it into a demonic miasma.

"It is not anxiety, but caution. And a show of dominance. Do I make myself clear? I did not come here to do battle, but to offer you a chance at skin and blood."

His voice, disembodied, seemed to fill both the air and the mind. After all, with a jaw like that, it would be impossible for the Caer to speak normally...right?

"Who's skin?" Torr said, as casually as fucking possible when speaking to a giant mouth on a torso, "who's blood?"

"The Monastic Order's. The Sylvestre's. Any and everyone who gets in my way. Lots of blood in it for you, lots of wome, money as well if that holds any sway over you. An all you can stand smorgasbord of death and debauchery."

The dark energies around the Caer Lord would subside, slowly, as would the various glimmers that had been abruptly displaced. "So, what do you think, Mr. Torrential? Does this appeal?" As Nox returned to a more presentable state, Aurelie stood close to him again, just close enough to make mild contact with her husband-to-be. As futile as it was, Lacroix saw stubborn determination as the only way to convince him to stand being around her.

The shorter man turned towards the open maw of the alleyway, breathing in the Lutetia air through his nostrils. It was wild, spicy and untamed, begging to be taken advantage of by someone with the brains and brawn to do it. To Torrential's reasoning, that man had been him.

But there were clearly bigger, badder forces at play, here - forces with more brain and brawn, with more firepower than he could likely match, and a power struggle wasn't his vibe.

"Sure," he said, easily, hooking his thumbs back into his pockets before nodding his chin at the woman at Nox's side.

"She available?"

Again, Aurelie did not even honor the question with a response. It was strange to her that, unlike many other times, her own patience was thinning much faster than that of the Caer. Her betrothed's inaction was actually beginning to irritate her.

"I'm curious," she looked up to Nox, her pedigree coming through in her tone, "normally such disrespect would have a man gutted. Yet, he has done so," the vampire counted on her fingers for emphasis, "one, two, three, four, five times, and he still stands."

A massive hand would place itself on Aurelie's shoulder, squeezing firmly, pulling the vampiress behind her husband-to-be. "She is not, Torrential. She is already claimed, and bred, and should things go according to plan..." Nox would look over his shoulder, eyes normally full to the brim with contempt and annoyance were for once, soft. At least around the edges.

"She will be First Wife of the Imperium. But, there will be plenty others, believe me. This city is ripe with sweet, young flowers." Diplomacy was a budding skill for the Caer Patriarch, something he was constantly trying to improve. "I will forgive you made advances towards the future mother of my children, but I will not forget. Is that answer clear enough for you?"

Torrential shrugged, thumbs sliding into his pockets as he rocked back on his heels. "Wouldn't call it advances, just trying to get a handle on how you work things. Some of us tend to be more free with their choice of mate."

He bowed his head towards Aurelie, hiding a small smile, before turning his poker face towards Nox.

"You want a demo man, you got one with a condition. I don't do permanence. Doesn't suit me. I don't squeal, and I don't shift loyalties, but I'm not sleeping in some nosferatu compound."

I don't do permanence. I don't squeal. I don't shift loyalties.

If there were ever phrases that could instantly erode all trust in someone, Aurelie would insist that would be them. The houses said they were loyal to one another, that they'd protect each other, and they left Lacroix to die, and tried to kill her anyway. They were liars and traitors to their own kind. To top it off, this 'Torrential' was working for profit. All it would take is some cash, whores, and a little power, and that loyalty would disappear in an instant.

She thought Nox would know better.

"As long as you do not betray me, I don't care if you leave my services. Just know, I have a nasty habit of holding grudges. And I do not take betrayal...lightly." Nox too looked towards the only female present, meeting her eyes with his own icy orbs. His gaze said volumes. He knew what his future spouse was thinking, and the Lord of Winter completely agreed. Torrential would have to be watched, closely. Perhaps he'd put Zanzi up to it...

"But a demo man I do indeed need. And I need a batch of high yield explosives, soon. Enough to blow through several sections of concrete, dirt, and rock."

"Alright," Torrential said, nodding along, "I think we understand each other."

He leaned back against the wall, lifted the heel of his boot, examined the stain of blood still prevalent on the brown leather. Idly, he scuffed it against the brick, chipping the dried copper off, mixing it with the dirty rust-colored stone.

"I can get you the explosives in three days' time. A little longer, depending on my guy. Do you need shaped charges, or will any run of the mill boom-boxes do?"

"As long as it creates a door, I don't care what shape its in. And good. Three days is faster than what I was expecting." Nox put a clawed hand to his chin, rubbing his index knuckle against his thin lips thoughtfuly. "Will there be any expenses I need to cover?. Normally..."

Once again, pale blue eyes would trace Aurelie's figure, quickly. "I'd have Pierette do such things like bringing the check book and making sure all my finances are in order. But I think I can get a grasp on such things."

"I can take a look at it," she spoke up and met Nox's gaze, "I dabbled in managing my family's treasury for a while, and after living alone long enough." She fully expected the Caeruleum fortune to be similar, possibly in scale but almost assuredly in function, similar to the Lacroix vault of the time. "Pierette also refused to ever let me see your documents though, so I will need those." In the end, she was glad that gutter whore was out of the picture.

Torrential nodded again, holding up a hand. "Ordinarily, yes - and in the future I'll ask you to pay - but take this first round as a token of good will. A contract."

His smile was feral, bright.

The towering abomination couldn't help but crack a grin in return, his voice more of a thundering purr. "Goooood. Normally, I'd let you choose your method of contact, but I've grown fond of these little things." Then, Nox would toss something to Torrential, a rather quick underhanded throw.

Nothing fancy. A small, black flip-phone, thin and slightly outdated by a couple years. A burner. "Only two numbers. Mine, and...I suppose I'll have to remove Ms. Hogan's number from these in the future. Aurelie, do you have a cellular number to contribute? Since you seem so keen in taking over my love's duties."

"I do," Aurelie refused to acknowledge what he referred to her as. He was taunting her, and she would not concede to it. She stepped towards Torrential and slowly plucked the phone from his hand, scrolling through the simple menus and clicking her own number into them. While the Caer used the simplest and cheapest of devices, Lacroix actually owned two, one given by her husband-to-be for keeping in contact with him and other associates, the other a personal one, notably nicer and more modern, which currently had no contacts but was more for utility and entertainment.

Torrential let the woman take the phone, careful to keep his eyes on the other vampire, his gaze curious, interested.

"You all business all the time, Nox? Or do you let loose now and again?"

The Caer would give a short guffaw, crossing his arms. "Unfortunately, being an emperor in the making, I rarely have the time. Though I do enjoy the occasional foray into the city's night life. Thats how I met the stunning creature who stands between us. How long ago was that now, betrothed? Several months?"

She turned and offered a smile to the Caer. Not forced, nor uncomfortable, but genuine. It was a nice change of pace to hear such things from him, to which Lacroix returned to his side and wrapped an arm around his back. "That sounds about right," the vampire purred. She could feel the beginnings of a child coming to bear every day, yet while she couldn't be sure if it would make it to term, there was always hope. Perhaps then he'd accept her more.

Maybe.

Torr nodded, examining the phone she'd handed back to him carefully, twirling it between two fingers.

"Well, hit me up if you're looking for a plus one," he said, slipping the phone into one of his too-large coat pockets. You learned a lot, in his experience, from watching things eat.

"Oh, trust me, my new associate, I will. I like to party crash, after all. And pretty soon, I'm going to be crashing a rather...bountiful one." The word, bountiful, rolled off a sharp, pointed tongue, dripping with innuendo and malice. Whether or not that venomous tone was directed at Torrential or at the general populace of Lutetia City as a whole was hard to discern. It was Nox, after all...

Written by Ro and avaglmdo

Sir Savien Durandet lay on a cot in Lutetia general - a sparse little pocket of space with a bed, table, chairs, window and an IV rack. Spindley tubes connected various fluids to the paladin's body.

He looked like hell. Bandages criss-crossed over his torso beneath his gown, hiding the viscious puncture wounds digging into his shoulders and arms. His arm lay on his lap in a sling, broken in three places. He'd suffered two concussions, four cracked ribs, second-degree burns along his neck and a serious case of frostbite at the points where Nox's talons had pierced his flesh. The entire left half of his face was covered in clean white gauze.

He lay still, head turned away from the light seeping in from the curtained windows. His eyes were closed, his chest rising and falling in slow, measured breaths. Aside from an attendant nurse who checked on him every hour, he had received no visitors.

The gentle clicks of the door to his room punctuated the paladin's rest. In came a figure dressed in cyan scrubs and clutching a clipboard in her right hand. She briefly glanced to his vitals monitor, noting the stable heart rate, healthy oxygen levels and normal respiratory rate, though his temperature seemed a little low. Not to be unexpected after all, given his condition and the brisk setting on the thermostat.

She sat down on a stool beside the bed, briefly looking behind her before speaking.

"Paladin Durandet,"

When Savien eventually did look towards the voice, he would immediately recognize the featherlike raven hair, silvery eyes, and nearly cheshire grin.

"It's good to see that you're well."

Savien lingered at the halfway point between rest and waking, his senses honed to the outside world while his mind retreated inward. Visions and nightmares fermented in his drowsy consciousness, weakened by the painkillers he had tried to refuse. His mind hadn't recovered enough to make sense of it all and he caught only glimpses of the horror already seeding in his soul. Teeth. There were always teeth, white and polished like fine china. Faces whirled across his vision as if caught in a cyclone - Celeste, Aurelie, Inarin, Pandora, Aurelion - dozens upon dozens, living and dead, screaming. All of them screaming, sobbing, melting before his eyes, before those eyes, the blue eyes made of frost and wind and death, the eyes that pierced the sun and laughed away the light until the world was dark and cold and steeped in winter. Human. They said. Mortal. They cooed. And they were right. They had always been right.

"Paladin Durandet."

His eyes flew open, muscles acting on instinct. The knight sat upright, straining against the fire in his ribs. His hands reached for his weapon - a ball-point pen he'd managed to lift from the pocket of a doctor. He wretched it free and brandished the tip like a knife, snarling like a beast as he prepared to face...

...no. Not him. Not him, just... her. The steel-shined eyes. The ebony hair. A grin that could make a rock look smug. Just her. Arianne.

"It's good to see that you're well."

The knight loosened in slow increments, unknotting the spring in his muscles and quieting the pulse of his heart. He rescined back into his pillow, sullen and grumbling. He was quiet for a time.

"...you shouldn't be in here."

"And yet, I am," the imposter nurse reached across Savien and plucked the pen from his fingers, slipping it into a pocket in her scrubs. "You'd be surprised where you can get just by wearing the right uniform," she tapped her finger against her nametag, Arianne Fabre - RN engraved on it, "and acting like you're supposed to be there."

She glanced towards the vitals monitor, its temperature still cold even after the patient's panic. "You've seen the winter, clearly," the witch's expression melted within moments, "but it seems you were one of the lucky few to see the daylight since. How fortunate."

The paladin snorted as she pointed to her nametag. Doubtless it'd taken more than a cheap disguise to infilrate a hospital, but it was still unnerving how easily she'd gotten in - witch or no.

"Fortunate. Yeah." He let out a breath and shivered once. A hand came up to the bandages on his face. All limbs attached, no lingering poisons or toxins. Sound of body. That was all that mattered, right?

He looked back at Arianne, brows knitting together. "You're wanted for murder."

"I haven't forgotten," she rolled her eyes, "though, you might want to reconsider your, erm, pursuit. Wouldn't want to sit by and let your other concerns run amok, would you? Of course you wouldn't."

"Speaking of," Fabre folded her hands in her lap, "I'm curious, what was it like when it, well, arrived?" While the witch understood that the Caer had resurfaced, she was still unsure of which of the tainted beings were here.

The paladin's glare did not become friendlier. "Forgive me if I'm not eager to tell you about it. Last time I checked, you refused my offer to work together." A small grin cracked the corner of his mouth. "What happened, witch? Have a change of heart?"

"Not really," her own grin resurfaced, "I'd just rather see you alive, for now. You're entertaining," such was notably high praise from someone like Fabre, the witch herself growing numb to some more mundane sources of amusement over the years. It also seemed poor form for the witch to not use this chance to harrass him, after all.

The paladin's scowl returned with the witch's grin. "Amusing. Well. Glad I serve some purpose in this game of yours." He winced as he jostled his shoulder against the bed, re-positioning his casted arm.

"As for the monster..." he drew a long breath, "...tall. Handsome. Blue eyes. Fear aura. That's his first form - and his most vulnerable, I think. I probably could have killed him with a few exorcist shots. His second form..." The paladin stared off into the distance. "...near instant healing. Godlike strength, speed. Aura of cold and terror. Teeth..." He swallowed, stopping himself. His pride kept him from showing too much emotion. He refused to break. Especially in front of Arianne. It had been nothing, he told himself. A skirmish gone wrong. A small defeat. Nothing.

"Dead fuckin' ugly," he elaborated, burying his fear with his usual gruff, "lucky I survived." He nodded. "I'll be smarter. Next time."

The paladin's description narrowed it down rather effectively, the only one she could think of that matched that would be Nox, one of the eldest of the brood, third-borne, an attack dog of the family. She just had to hope he was the only one. More unusually, though, was the fact that he survived at all. Any survivors from the skirmishes wouldn't hesitate to kill a paladin in this scenario, so what was stopping him? This was likely to plague her mind.

"Well, this just adds one more thing to look in to," Arianne stood up and dusted off her lap, "I hope you have a safe recovery." She turned and headed for the door, turning back briefly to flash that very same grin from her arrival,

"I'll keep in touch."

The witch tossed the pen back into his lap, and closed the door behind her.

Last edited:
The following is an opinion-piece article posted in 'The Renoire Weekly' - a popular right wing news outlet in Lutetia city.

Befriending the Blasphemer
The Imperilment of Lutetian Nationalism in the Age of Tolerance

The question of tolerance in Lutetian society has been settled, and resettled, such that each successive settlement takes us farther away from the alleged ideal of social justice (the fabled ‘Republic of Equals’; the liberal dream) and brings us closer to an unfortunate if critical truth: the current state of Lutetian government offers no true settlement, only further political despotism and the incremental procession of a ‘denationalized’ Lutetia - a country segregated from its identity.

Indeed, the history of Lutetia following the Enlightenment is a history of settlements. The first (and many argue, the greatest) of settlements came with the Edict of Darnay, a contract which, at least aesthetically, dissolved the Holy Lutetian Theocracy and modernized its political fundament into a 'democratic republic’. The ‘revolution’ in fact only coerced the aristocracy to change hats. Capital, not bloodline, became the acting force of political influence. Noble families, who could now effectively buy their power directly from the state, wielded infrastructural power far beyond what was afforded to them in their preceding union - a union in which God, not man, held the final say. In the deepest of ironies, the Edict which the left believed would destroy monarchical “oppression” gave birth instead to something even more tyrannical - the rule of the dollar, of bought senatorial seats, of a political groundwork castrated from God and made to bow to corporatism and greed.

But the Edict looked democratic. And so the liberal masses, so easily seduced by the appearance of change, allowed the settlement to fulfill, however temporary, their desire for political modernization. It would not last.

Questions of tolerance were again exacerbated some eighty years ago with the onset of the Autumn Moon - one of the largest (and most successful) civil rights movements in Lutetian history. Eloquent werewolf speakers and thinkers such as James Duvanhoel and Lana Mistwater demanded citizenship and equal rights for paranormal minorities. Aside from the Valentine Riots and the the Coldbrook Massacre, the institution of werewolf rights proceeded bloodlessly. Again, the settlement appeared successful.

But as before, it was an illusion, extending only as far as our plutocratic politicians allowed it to. In focusing on and ratifying werewolf rights, the republic effectively drew attention away from several other minorities clamoring for equal protection under the law: sentient ghouls and wights, to name two. Our republic compromised - bloodlessly offering citizenship to one minority group and shutting the door on other marginalized brackets deemed ‘too dangerous’ to enjoy legal sovereignty. Again, the liberal masses were swayed by the appearance of immediate change. The riots stopped, and the False Right prevailed again.

These settlement have become so commonplace that it is difficult to discern where the next one shall arise. Perhaps the recent spike in paranormal criminal activity will again awaken the lethargic sensibilities of our leftist friends (who are, at last, beginning to see through the petty facades of ‘equality’ promulgated by our pathetic senators). Perhaps our culture will finally follow in the footsteps of the rest of Valore, granting full rights to all manner of bloodthirsty monster, from vampire to ‘demon’. At the end of this road, at least, lies something closer to the political utopia realized in our late Theocracy - a consistent code of political conduct governed by objective rules. Replacing ‘God’ with ‘equality’ is far from ideal, but at least the currents of authority are taken from the hands of men.

Or perhaps our next settlement will lie in something altogether less wholesome. Many of my readers in Saint Lemeux may be privy to recent disturbances in the plaza across from the Palais des Saints. For the last few weeks, missionaries (if they may be called that) have been preaching word of their faith in foreign tongues. Diverging religions are not an anomaly to Lutetian culture; Iverian shamanism/druidism has seen resurgence in our city’s populace over the last fifty years, and the re-integration of necromancers into our society has once more rooted the heathen Tiranothic cults into our religious infrastructure. These aberrations - however unsightly - at least have a place in the identity of or cultural mesh. They are distinctly Issune, derived from a rich history steeped in a common identity shared by all who dwell within these walls. For the last thousand years, our various religions, our core cultural identities, our languages, have been overwhelmingly internalized. We export, we evangelize, we minister to the rest of the world, but we shut ourselves away from their influence, from what they would offer us. And rightly so. As I have argued in myriad prior essays, the ‘Lutetian Identity’ - the social cohesion which binds this city in a webwork of tradition and history - is perhaps the last remaining tether by which our rapidly denigrating society may still find salvation. Stripped from our God, our government, we take solace that we remain Lutetian, that we are bound together by a loom woven in a millennia of glorious isolation and self-reliance. Outsiders have always struggled to make leeway into our culture, but their successes range anywhere from minimal success to outright failures. Lutetia has a natural distrust for the outside world - a sentiment which, I believe, has saved its life from innumerable perils.

Yet these missionaries in Lemeux seem determined to defy the norm. Contrary to what might be expected, they have thrived from their cobblestone pulpits, drawing larger and larger crowds with each passing day. The Lutetian public, so quick to reject the unknown, has mysteriously embraced these newcomers and their refashioned paganism. Make no mistake, the rhetoric of these ‘holy’ fools poses a far greater threat to our way of life than even the bureaucratic incompetence of our politics. Never mind their barbaric language, the droll, primitive tenants of their faith which at once espouses salvation and apocalypse in the same breath. I care not for their faith - my concern is with its foreignness, and (more immediately) its growing popularity. My fear is with the prospect of another settlement - that this faith will shortly spread throughout the city, that there will be new congregations on the streets, alien churches built in Luskionos, foreign holidays plaguing our calendars. My fear is that these missionaries are the first step in the long and tortuous labor of stripping Lutetian culture of its nationalism, of its identity.

Obviously, I advocate no violent action against these miscreants. This rallying cry is not for the police or the Order, but for the people of Lutetia. Turn your ears away from the heretic, the blasphemer. Deny the outside world entry into the sanctity of our national personhood, our cultural integrity.

Indeed, be wary of all outside influences - but doubly so of foreign religions. In the past, I’ve made no secret of my adherence to the Evequist faith. I do not believe that people should be forced to think as I do, but I certainly maintain that an Evequist mindset is the most just, the most noble, the most humane and truthful way of seeing and understanding the world. Evequists built this city. They ruled it in the Wick’s name, wisely, fairly, for five hundred years before human greed and corruption destroyed the holy union of the old Theocracy. The tenants of Evequism, its virtue and beliefs, are inextricably embedded into the foundation of this city’s culture and law. For us to haphazardly accept a new, foreign religion (a religion, I might add, which has little to no presence on the rest of Valore; a religion spoken from a tongue that has no recognizable origin anywhere else in the galaxy; a religion in which nothing is known except what is told to us by half-mad fools gibbering in the square like hungry dogs) poses a threat to every aspect of a Lutetian’s lifestyle - Evequist or no.

For now, I will be watching these new missionaries with cautious interest. I imagine that whatever designs they have on our city will be made clear soon enough - though I pray that the people of this city expel them before they have the opportunity to inflict any sort of lasting damage.

To all Lutetians, a happy Genarium. To my readers, thank you. To my critics, I look forward to our dialogue.

And to all adherents of the old ways - to the defenders of the lost cause, the champions of the True Right - carry on. The Light of the Wick shines in the Darkness, and it shall not be overcome.

Watching and waiting,
Franz V. Leclerc

Crista had to wait for things at the monastery to calm down. After a city wide battle it took hours before some semblance of normalcy returned to the order. While everyone was preoccupied with their individual tasks, Crista took her chance and got her desertier ready. When the cost was clear she raced out of the order and started making her way quickly to John's home. He heart felt as though it were pounding against her armor. She had felt this way before as she recalled the moments leading up to her finding John dead in that same place. She prayed to Selene that Luka was still alive. She couldn't handle another loss so soon.

Crista came to a grinding halt in front of the old home and jumped down from her bike. Swiftly pulling the key from the strap around her neck she unlocked the door, hands shaking slightly. The door opened and she called out worriedly.

"Luka?!"

Silence permeated the house. Then-

"Crista?"

Luka peeked from behind a hallway, a bit of flour staining his cheek. He looked worried.
"Is everything okay?"

Crista let out a heavy sigh of relief and closed the front door behind her. She approached Luka, and wrapped her arms around him. She felt he was solid, her was there, he was alive.

"I was so worried about you." Crista bent slightly to be eye level with him, putting her hand on his cheek and wiping away the flour.

"Are you alright? Did anything happen while I was gone?"

"Hm?" Luka frowned as they broke their embrace, "should something have happened?" He blinked as she wiped his face. "I heard something in the distance - an explosion or something, I'm not sure - but this side of the city has been pretty quiet." He gestured to the kitchen, wincing. "I was. Uh. Trying to make pancakes."

He looked back at Crista. "Is everything alright? What's going on in the city?"

Crista sighed heavily as she tried to think of a way to explain the situation simply.

"Luka, while I was working in Valentine Park today the city was attacked by caer. The attacked several areas of the city including the park. The order in in an uproar...I was just worried something might have happened to you."

Luka's eyes widened. "The Caer? You mean those vampire people that attached the city years ago?"

Luka, of course, wasn't from Lutetia City. The war had affected the outlying towns far less than it had the capital. Still, even country folk knew about the horrors they'd inflicted during the skirmishes.

His brows knit with concern. "You're not going to fight them, are you?"

"If the Order requires me to then I must. Today I did my best to avoid the fighting and focused on saving others instead, but I can't do that forever. I am a paladin after all. I don't know what will happen next but keeping you safe is my priority."

Luka offered a small smile, but he seemed far from relieved. He had only lost his mother a month ago - losing Crista would be more than he could take.

"It's strange," he mused, "you would die for the Order, but you risk expulsion every time you care for me. It's such a strange double life you lead." He looked up at her. "I hope I'm never the cause of any trouble for you, Crista. You've been nothing but good to me."

Crista smiled back, trying to reassure him.

"It seems to be what I am fated for. The order does good things, truly, and there are good people there, but many don't see things the way I do. I hope to change that one day."

"Maybe," Luka nodded, "or you could... I don't know... runaway?" He offered a sheepish grin. "Maybe just quietly skidaddle off? Go north. Maybe to Terra. There's a lot more tolerance towards paranormals up there. A lot more chances for a better life. Specially' for someone like me."

Back