Chronicles of The Omniverse Archived Lutetia

As the two women exchanged barbs and blows, Nathan stood and watched with a passionless stare, trying to discern the point of their infighting. A power struggle? Petty posturing? What did it matter, in the end? They were all here at the whim of Nox, and through him something ... more. Beneath that, why did they care? It was just stupid.

In the meantime, Jamie blinked, tilting his head at Aurelie and Noemi. "Ehh... it's not very fair to hit someone who can't fight back because you have a baby," he remarked quietly, and largely to himself. His eyes drifted away from them then, wandering across the snowy landscape and idly taking in the scenery. As the bickering continued, he yawned and scratched at the back of his head impatiently.

The first jab at Aurelie's pride nearly had Nox doubled over with laughter, practically in need of stitches so bad did his sides ache. Then, the slap came, and the guffaws doubled in their volume and their sincerity. It was good to have the family all together. This was so reminiscent of his siblings and Nito's various matrons, lovers, and brood-wenches had interacted with each other. Two camps, seeming to always be vying for the title of Father's Favorites. Nox hadn't understood then, why family gathering had been so rare, and now, the confusion was two-fold. Perhaps Father had grown tired and weary of such things, but for the New Patriarch this was...stupendously entertaining.

But enough was enough.

Before either of them could take it any further, Nox would place himself between the two, his voice a thunderous cacophony of authority and will. "Cease your child-like bickering. Now." Despite the volume and power behind his command, it was not a shout, and it lacked any sort of fury or aggravation. His words simply rang out, more like a physical force than sounds or words. "We will not be bogged down by such petty squabbles." He'd turn and look, out into the darkened cold that stretched all about the gathering, and for a moment, he seemed lost. "Aaah...My nephew arrives with his guest. Nathan, be a dear boy. Father has a suitcase, two actually, just inside the front door. Fetch them for me, would you please?"

Aurelie was in the process of hissing a response, though Nox's command had cut her short. She did not speak once the ordered silence was established. There was little more to say, anyway. The Caer had said it himself, that her life was vastly more important than anyone else in this meeting, and as such they will have to respect that. Lacroix turned to see where her husband was looking, to get a glimpse of this nephew he spoke of.

In the bitter dark and driving cold, the Caer family could see one, then two figures in the distance. First it was a warm glow of candlelight, that slowly but surely intensified as the pair approached. Eventually they could spot more details on the closer of the two. The first one bore some sort of armor, closely resembling what the Monastic paladins wore, though horribly burned, charred, and gouged. Aside from a few less-damaged pieces and the glinting defiled Silver hanging around her neck, it was not easily distinguished. The bearer of the armor had not a single snowflake upon her, and each step the knight took melted the snow around her feet. Her face and hair were not pale as the driven snow like Nathan and Noemi and Nox, instead it took a more pallid tone, like charred ash. The edges of her armor gently smoldered as she approached even closer, some at times radiating a soft orange glow.

"That must be your uncle, then?" Elisabeth pointed to Nox, though her voice was still low enough that only her sire could hear it.

Nathan turned his eyes onto Nox, his stare remaining flatly cold and yet somehow still resembling a glower. After a few long moments of assessing him, he rolled his eyes and turned back towards the mansion to do as instructed, with all the grace and enthusiasm of a moody teenager running errands. Once inside, he lifted the two suitcases effortlessly and returned to his father's side, setting them down without comment and stepping back.

In the meantime, Jamie had turned to observe the approaching pair. "Huh," he remarked. "Off-theme."

The bronze skinned youth at Elisabeth's side would only smile, a smile that could rival his great-uncle's in arrogance. "Indeed he is." He work billowing silken robes that glimmered like pale blue flame in the snow driven moonlight, flapping and flickering in the winter winds. He had a fair face with smoldering midnight blue eyes, and hair somehow darker than his kind. Every word he spoke let loose a wisp of flame, and to those adept at sensing such things would practically feel the arcane might oozing from his every pore. Harik was not like Noemi or Nathan, nor even his own companion, they could feel it in their bones, in the shattered remnants of their soul. Among all the family gathered, none here were as close to an equal as the Caldonian native. He was True Blood, True Caer, and he somehow stood here, despite the impossibility of it all.

He'd drop to one knee, head bowed. "I am sorry I'm late, Uncle dearest. My child had to fetch me from my..." A demure sort of purr slid out of the pyromancer's throat. "...entertainment. I had forgotten the meeting entirely. Please, forgive me, Patriarch."

A dismissive wave of Nox's hand was the only response he'd give, at first, before turning towards the suitcases his own child had provided. "I am eager to know the story of how you corrupted a paladin to our cause, but there will be time for introductions later. For now, I will show you the two reasons we have gathered. The first..." A suitcase would be lifted, opened, inside row after row of plastic explosive pacts. Perhaps twelve in all, in one case alone, so twenty four in all. "Normally such mortal means of terror are below the Caeruleum, but our numbers are small, and we have much destruction to sow. Each of you, save Alek and myself, will be given locations to target. Jamie, you blend in the easiest, so you, Nathan and my nephew's pet will be targeting the festival grounds of the Order."

The towering Caer would kick-slide the unopened case towards his Évariste compatriot. "You two can chose where to place them yourself, for the most part, but I want at least two in the tournament grounds proper." The case in his hands would be snapped shut before being thrust towards his wife-to-be. "Though you are with child, you will accompany my nephew in seeding Luskonios, Lemeux, and Lumenia with our little gifts. It should go without saying though, Aurelie, that your first priority will always be the child. You know as well as I know how important the spawn in your womb is to Winter and myself."

Lastly, he turned to Alek, and his eyes filled with brilliant icy energy, bloodlust pouring out of him. "That leaves you and me. We'll be striking at that island, during all the confusion. I want my father's sword, and you're going to help me get it. You, and my secret friend." The next words out of Nox's mouth were sexual in nature, lustful and dripping with desire. "I have made a very powerful friend. Zanzi...Zanzibar dearest...please come and introduce yourself to our family, as is your Master's wish."

Beside him, Nox's shadow writhed and spasmed, as if alive...

Indeed it did spasm, as if alive. Its edges faded, and the other's shadows would begin to twist, to expand towards the Caer Lord's own shadow as if trying to blot out all light. The darkened area writhed with energy, twisted up as tendrils of darkness reached up and began to form an object within its grasp. The blot grew taller before it reformed into a humanoid shape. Violet eyes peeked out of the darkness, and then a toothy smile, the darkness melting away from the figure's form to reveal a scantly dressed woman. Her hair was white, her skin bronze and lined with markings. She was a short voluptuous thing, compared to the vastness of her master beside her. But despite her petite frame, she was not a creature to be trifled with.

"As you wish, my master~" She purred her words, her tail flicking as she came to his side. Her eyes scanned each individual in the room before taking a slight bow. "It is my pleasure to finally meet the family and allies of my Master." She said.

Alek's fist clenched slightly as he looked upon the demon. He knew what creature stood before him. Although it was no longer his concern to vanquish those dark beasts from this world, he knew that they normally never bound themselves to someone unless they had a need to.

Zanzibar straightened and grinned at Nox. "I was beginning to think you'd forgotten all about me.." She playfully pouted, folding her arms under her rather large breasts.

The mention of Harik's entertainment drew a restrained and uncomfortable grimace from his eidolon. She only occasionally partook in her sire's antics, usually at the request from the young lord himself. Elisabeth gave a brief nod to confirm his story, remembering having to physically drag the master away from his playthings.

She nodded at Nox's instructions. The charred knight reveled in the chance to wreak havoc on that damned church.

Aurelie shuddered at both the radiating heat and magic from Harik and his pet. What unsettled her more, was that she recognized the servant. She worked alongside Lacroix not long ago, though last she heard, the Paladin was dismissed and disappeared. Is this where she had gone? Her staring had elicited a knowing yet stern glance from the knight.

She didnt catch quite all of what Nox had said, but had at least noticed the explosives and heard where he wanted to direct her. She was going to be sent with this new nephew, to terrorize the more resplendent parts of town. She held back a frown. She was so fond of the city's older architecture. Perhaps some arrangements could be made to preserve some of it, or at least collect images of what would soon be gone.

As the errant demon appeared, Lacroix raised an eyebrow. She did not disapprove nearly as much so as his other 'friend', primarily as this one seemed to know her place. For now.

Elisabeth eyed Zanzibar, unable to help but smirk. This one surely was beautiful, and the knight's gaze slowly filled with hunger.

Harik and Elisabeth's arrival had been greeted with a casual "Sup" from Jamie. He was curious as to the other man's fiery abilities, and why they differed so from Nox's ice, but that was a question for another time. When the case was slid over to him, Jamie grinned. "Sweet. I can get in there no problem. Am I allowed to stick around and fight some paladins after the big boom?" He probably would do anyway, even if he wasn't supposed to... but it would be nice for it to be authorised. "I haven't fought enough of them yet."

Nathan stared balefully at the case of explosives, and his neutral expression was cracked by a frown. "You want me to help you murder people at the festival. Why would I? I don't want them to die. I don't want you to succeed. That hasn't changed overnight."

Although the boy's manner had turned icy, it was clear that his morals had yet to leave him. He had no intent of cooperating with the Caer any more than he was compelled to.

Harik let out a bemused whistle between his teeth, eyes blooming with dark blue flames, excitement and disbelief playing across his bronze features. Perhaps there was a time, not even all that long ago, that the Caldonian would've agreed, and rushed to Nathan's defense. There was a time, when life and morality held sway above his own desires, even at the height of his mortal acts of sin and selfishness. Chaotic, sure, but the pyromancer had never considered himself evil.

Winter...Winter had a way of changing one's outlook. The very persuasive Uncle, with power to match lesser divines and a temper to rival that of any, helped as well.

He watched on, the mirth draining away from his Patriarch's face, slowly replaced with something far more eerie. Furious. Indignant.

All those connected to the Evernight, the patron entity the Caeruleum found themselves empowered and enslaved by, would feel something begin to well inside of Nox. The whisper of violence seemed to suddenly hang on the air, an impending dread that overflowed out from the towering demonic undead who did naught but stare down at the young boy who found himself before a wrathful "father".

But instead of a backhand, or anything sort of physical, the glower would evaporate as quickly as it had come, replaced by a wicked smile as the Caer Lord dropped to a crouch, coming as best he could to eye level with young Nathan. He whispered but a single word, a name, seemingly dripping with cruelty, malice, and raw hunger as it passed between vicious fangs and thin, pale lips.

"Claire........."

Nathan stiffened before Nox even spoke, feeling the aura of malice radiating down upon him like it was a physical force and flinching away from it. The spoken name caused his fists to clench, neutral mask twisting for the first time since the beginning of the unholy gathering into an expression of recognisable emotion: hatred.

"Bastard," he hissed. "You won't win. Even if you make me help you, you won't win."

Noemi hissed in a breath of air as it hit her like a ton of bricks, watching through a side glance at her 'brother'. In a way, she felt bad for him. She truly did. They were in this situation against their own will, because their father had chosen them to be children of the night, held here because of some thread that tied them to a life they use to live. Noemi's tie wasn't a physical attachment to family or friends, but more so to do with a promise to herself. Nathan's case, was more on the terms of blackmail.

Hoping to change the subject, Noemi decided to speak up. "Father.." She called softly. "What about me?" The dark haired woman seemed hesitant, knowing how the Caer Lord's temper could swing. "You said each of us had a part to play, yet.. You've not given me a task, neither assigned me to a group. What am I to do?" She had hoped it would pull the attention away from Nathan. She knew she would need him on her side, and as such, would attempt to be the 'protective' older sibling.

The demon had backed away from her master as his temper flared, knowing it best to stay away from him when he was dealing with things on his own. So instead, she walked over to Aurelie, a light twinkling in her eyes as she did. She bowed low to the wife-to-be. "My lady, it is a pleasure to meet you especially. Although I cannot make promises without my master's consent, I do hope that we do get to know each other well."

Last edited:
Aurelie raised an eyebrow at Nathan's surge of courage. She tried to nudge the boy to keep him from behaving too rashly, though that was clearly in vain. More and more doubt flashed across her mind, doubt about what she was in fact about to do, though that was quickly buried by simple concern over the boy's life.

Thankfully, Noemi was able to be useful for once and change the subject. Her attention was once again taken, though, this time by the one they called Zanzibar. The notable politeness of the demon flattered Lacroix, and she offered a small bow in response.

"As do I."

The charred knight gripped the handle of her blade as Nox seethed. Her eyes darted between each member of the meeting, though after a moment she once again relaxed her stance. A palm still rested on her blade's hilt, though the rest of Elisabeth's body had returned to a more casual position.

As before, her gaze followed Zanzi's every movement. If Harik didn't get her attention again, she was likely to become distracted.

Nox's smile only bloomed further, a touch of madness resting ever so precariously at the corners of his gaping maw. With cool, blue eyes he turned his head towards his beloved First Born of the new Imperius. "Ah, I did not forget you, Noemi, no not at all." The Caer Lord said, rising and ruffling Nathan's hair as he did so, in the same manner one might treat an angry pup. Rough, but loving and patient all the while. "You have a very specific target. One I believe you'll be quiet familiar with, no doubt..."

Reaching into his coat, Nox pulled out a singular explosive, but one that seemed half the size of the briefcases before it. One bomb, with the destructive yield of perhaps three or maybe four of the ones already distributed. Almost the size of a half-deflated kick ball, really. "I want you to set this one off...right in the center of the LCPD's main precinct." The monster would hold it out for his daughter to take. Waiting. Watching her eyes, how she might swallow, everything she did.

And he wasn't the only one. Harik, despite lacking some where to rest his ass, was on the edge of his seat. Much like Noemi, he fed off of thoughts, but unlike her, a flickering plethora of varied feelings provided much more subsistence than a single emotion ever could. Here, right now, was a veritable feast, and beyond being filling...it was enthralling. His mind had left his burnt little pet to her own devices. For now, the Caldonian's attention was fulling on his dear Uncle, unable to look away...Still, he did manage to find his tongue, if but for a moment, addressing Jamie directly.

"Oh, I have no doubt our Master would mind you having some fun with the tin soldiers. Knowing him and his hate...our hate..." The last words were more a sultry moan than anything else. "Kill as many as you like..."

"Awesome," Jamie grinned, pleased with the idea of getting to face off against some of humanity's purported finest. He seemed either oblivious or indifferent to the exchange between Nox and Nathan, ignoring it in favour of beginning to run through imagined scenarios of how his mission in the park might transpire.

Nathan seethed as Nox ruffled his hair again, but lapsed into silence once more. He wouldn't dignify the bastard with any further words. He'd find a better way to defy him, somehow.

Noemi knew he was waiting for a reaction, and was proud of herself for keeping a straight expression for the split second afterward. Her face fell in a disappointed grimace shortly afterward, however. "Is that all?" She said flatly, making sure the disappointing tone was not to be confused otherwise. She didn't want to go along with his orders. She had defied him so many times, and it all met with the resounding painful end. So instead, she would try to annoy him in other ways.

She had no love for her old job. She had barely been on the team for more than a few weeks before having to go on medical leave. And Noemi had already accepted the fact that people were going to die if she were to exact her revenge on her father. Namely, anyone who dared to attempt to take his life. That was her right, and her right alone.

Aurelie briefly raised an eyebrow at both Noemi and Nathan's reluctance to do this sort of dirty work. It gave her an idea, but she quickly dismissed it from her thoughts for now. One of the children could feel thoughts, and she had no idea if this mysterious nephew could as well.

Without Harik to stop her, the burned knight continued to outright stare and ogle at Zanzibar. Normally Duval presented great decorum, but she simply could not help herself.

Nox quirked a brow at his low-born daughter. "Yes. That will be all. Feel free to cause as much mayhem as you like afterward, but I want that building rubble, and as many law enforcers dead as you can." His eyes turned away from his children, finding Zanzibar and Alek. "You two. Come with me back to the safehouse. We're more or less done here...unless anyone has any further questions for me?"

This had not gone as smoothly or obediently as the giant abomination had hoped it would. More and more he'd begun to understand why, exactly, his father had always distanced himself from the family proper.

"What exactly do you want me to do?" The mask of neutrality had returned to Nathan's face once he had - perhaps surprisingly quickly - reconciled himself with his position and what he had to do. "I don't exactly blend in. A lot of people will probably recognise me, even discounting my new pallor. Am I merely planting bombs? Or do you have a task in mind that I'm actually suited to? I'll only draw attention to them as I am now."

Nox blinked. And then smiled. "Good. I want people to be drawn to you. If they're close, you'll kill more of them that way. You're being sent out to end lives. This isn't a concert, this isn't a recital, this is slaughter. Once you get the scent of blood in your nostrils, boy, you'll find it hard to resist. After all, whats that saying humans use about potato chips?" Nathan's father would explain. "And its not like you'll be alone. Don't worry so much, son of mine."

Truly, a laugh was building behind his pursed lips, Nox was quickly growing tired of this. His children would learn to obey, wordlessly, one way or another. Even if their father had to beat and starve it into them.

Nathan's mask twitched in another grimace briefly. So he was to kill people with his own hands? It somehow hadn't occurred to him that he'd be expected to do more that set up the explosives.

His fists clenched, but he nodded, wordlessly. For Claire's sake, he'd do what he was asked to, but only to the extent he had to. With any luck, he'd be driven off by the paladins before he could cause too much harm.

Back