Saarai

Lord of Bondage and Pain
Benefactor
Overview
Magic in fiction tends to come in all shapes, sizes, and flavors depending on the setting. Gods Among Men is no exception. There are no real rules about magic here or in the world DC Comics, but for the sake of consistency I'm putting together a sort of guide, some helpful info, I gathered based on what I know of magic in the DC Universe.

Types of Magic
There are many forms of magic in the DC Universe, and by extension, Gods Among Men. Divine magic used by the holy and the angelic, demonic magic used by the wicked and eldritch, magic that heals, magic that transforms, magic granted by objects, magic one is born with, and magic that does it all.

Divine Magic is magic that is often granted by deities, or given to their offspring at birth, or attained by those who ascend to a higher plane of existence. Examples include gods such as Zeus and Odin, demi-gods, Wonder Woman and Hercules, angels and servants (current and former) of the divine such as Captain Marvel and Black Adam.

The divine tend not to meddle in the affairs of Earth, allowing anyone can use to their divine powers for good, bad, or the mundane.

Demonic Magic, like its divine counterpart, is often to given by powerful deities with more malevolent leanings, or given to their offspring at birth, or by allowing a demon to use one's body as a host. What sets it apart from divine magic is that it often comes with a price one may not be willing to pay, or may never be able to fully pay. Demons are tricky, dangerous, and uncaring.

Demonic magic can twist to help minds of those who choose to harness it, making them slaves to vice, hatred, or the lust for more power. Keep in mind that this isn't always the case. Human Jason Blood became host to the Demon Etrigan, and over the years the two have influenced each other enough that Etrigan became much more heroic and Blood much less hateful of demons.

Examples of this include the Titan Raven, her father Trigon, Brother Blood, and the aforementioned union of Jason and the Demon Etrigan.

The Homo Magi are humans naturally born with the ability to use magic. It is innate, it does not come from anywhere but their own genes. How they learn to use magic or apply it in their lives varies from person to person, culture to culture. Some Homo Magi learn their spells from books, others attend a school, some make use of complex rituals, and others just concentrate really hard and hope it works out.

The origin of the Homo Magi is a mystery, but many places their origins in the once mythical city of Atlantis, known for its abundance of wild magic that belongs to neither the divine or the demonic world.

Examples of Homo Magi include Zatanna Zatara and father John "Zatara" Zatara.

Magic Items are objects that grant people magical abilities if they are worn, held, or find a way to become part of one's body. They can also come with a price when used by mortals. The Orb of Ra, for example, transformed adventurer Rex Mason into the metahuman now known as Metamorpho.

Magical items include books, clothing, weapons, pretty much anything enchanted by gods, demons, or another magic user.

Warlocks, Sorcerers, and everyone else are people who were not born with magic or whose magic doesn't make them Homo Magi, or doesn't come from a divine or demonic source.

These people are just like you or I when not wearing or holding their magic item, or if they haven't learned spells from a book.

Examples of these kids of magic users include Aquaman Arthur Curry, John Constantine, Felix Faust, and sometimes Vandal Savage.

The Price of Magic
As mentioned before, sometimes magic can come with a price. You can lose your body to a demon, or your soul, you may only be able to use your magic by spilling your own blood. The more blood, the more powerful the magic.

With each use of your demonic magic you might lose parts of yourself, your humanity, your memories, your loved ones. Maybe you get pulled closer and closer to hell.

Restoring life with magic also shortens your own. In some cases, you may die temporarily. At least until the one moment you don't wake up again't.

Magic is not without consequence, so please keep that in mind when creating magical characters in Gods Among Men. Sometimes they will suffer for what they, how they suffer is up to your discretion.

This will be a placeholder for whenever I, if there is enough support, put together some roll effects for magic powers in this RP.

I think it would be fun and maybe add a new layer of danger and suspense.

Back