Akashic Arcana Magical Theories Class: First Years, Rank A, Day One

Boxaman

ARRIVAL

It was the first day of certain classes, as some started earlier than others. The halls were choke full of students who did not want to be awake this early. Despite this, the new year gave off a lot of livelyhood and activity, particualy from the first years who have not had their optimism crushed by the more diabolical teachers.

Jayden and his group of friends moved through the hallways. Jayden hung towards the back of the group while Vincent lead the charge. As they walked through the halls, they walked each other to their various classrooms.

Francis, Serrenia, and Richards were dropped off first to their C rank class: Magical History. They all groaned when they saw a familiar beefy looking bald guy with a single tuff of blonde hair and a glorious 'stache.

"BEHOLD STUDENTS, IT IS I UTHER WHO WILL BE YOUR TEACHER FOR THIS WONDERFUL SEMESTER!" came a booming, manly voice in the classroom, followed by the collective groans of the students.

Jayden and Vincent practically sprinted away from Uther's classroom. AS they got further down the hall, they heard the now-familiar sound of Uther's shirt being ripped followed by some incoherant manly yelling.

Jayden and Vincent snickered amoungst themselves as they hurried to another building. As they arrived at Vincent's classroom, they gave each other a fist bump.

"Don't be late for class on your first day." Vincent smirked "Don't want to keep the princess waiting."
Jayden groaned "Its not like that, we practically come to blows every time we see each other."
"Sure it is." Vincent smirked while wiggling his eyebrows at the now-furious Jayden.
A small bell rang as Jayden smirks "Well, thats the 8:15 bell. Sounds like you are the one who is late."
Vincent paled before sprinting through the door. A milisecond later a rather loud, heavily German accented female voice yelled "WHY ARE YOU LATE FOR THE FIRST CLASS?" followed by what sounded like a textbook hitting the head of a student.

Jayden walked a brisk pace and out the building to head to the one where his class was held. It was a short walk through the pleasent Fall weather, not too cold but not too hot. He arrived and entered the massive building, taking a few flights of stairs up to the 3rd floor. He used his ORB to find the classroom, entering it and noticing he is the first to arrive. He checks his ORB and sees that it is 8:30, only 15 minutes till class. He settles into a desk in the middle of the room, checking his backpack to ensure he has everything he needed.

I8AHhGb.png

Last edited:
Artoria, being raised to be punctual, was up and about earlier than most were, making sure she looked her best and that she had everything she needed for today's classes. She glanced over at Mira, who was still snoozing away, and headed out of her dorm. Following directions from her ORB, she would find the building and classroom with relative ease. She couldn't help but peek into each classroom that she passed by on the way to her own, though upon hearing his voice, Artoria practically went into a cold sweat and PTSD flashbacks of her first encounter with the large beast of a man. She made sure to pass by his class as quickly as possible, avoiding all eye contact. She also managed to catch a peek at someone literally getting the book thrown at them for being tardy. Yeesh, hope I don't have a teacher like that.

"Huh, looks like I'm the fir-" Artoria commented to herself as she walked in, but froze in place and midsentence upon seeing another person she wasn't particularly happy to see. Saying nothing else, she avoided eye contact with Jayden as well, and took a seat at the front, keeping completely silent.

Shadows weren't the best mode of transportation to have ever been created, but their instantaneous delivery was something that more than made up for the downsides. Which, when discussed with a medical professional, would reveal certain things. For instance: shortly after a shadow jump, sometimes weird marks can appear on the users body. Plus, there were also the voices in the Void, whispering to the unwary to travel deeper into the unknown. The worst part about it though, was it was cold.

On this particular day, that cold had been annoying Neti, sending shivers running through his body. Thankfully though, his trip today was only took half a second. But it was enough that he wanted to take a hot shower the moment he stepped into his classroom.

Neti was at least five minutes late, as he liked to let his students settle in among themselves before he came in to introduce himself.

Appearing from the shadows behind his desk, he faced the students, and adjusted the mask that covered his face to get it a little more comfortable before he spoke up. "I'd like to welcome all of you extraordinary students to the first day of my class. My name is Neti and I will be taking you on a guided tour through one of the most boring topics this school could offer you: magical theory."

Neti walked up to his students, never looking any of them directly in their eyes but rather moving his head in their general direction. He didn't need sight to be able to pick out who was who. He could feel them. And his Shadow dealt with the rest.

"Before we start though, I want everyone in this room to stand up, introduce yourself and tell me what exactly why you think you're in this class today." Neti pointed right at Jayden. "You, Magic-fingers, start us off."

Jayden's eyes would narrow as Artoria walked in. They make brief eye contact as she enters through the door. They seemed to have a mental conversation in the short span of time before she moved towards her desk.
Freeloader
Prat

Jayden would then copy Artoria's actions. looking away and pretending she isnt even there. The tension in the air between the two could be grabbed with one's bare hands. However, as more students joined the duo in the room, the tension simmered down to embers as the duo began to interact with their various classmates. Jayden seemed to be questioned a lot about his Artillery spell, due to the impressive destruction from a single spell while Artoria was swarmed by student curious about her royal heritage.

Jayden was clearly uncomfortable with this random questioning, but he managed to satisfy their various questions until the bell rang. The students returned to their various seats. They sat in silence, anxiously watching the door, and checking the time as the minutes tick by.

The class seemed to jump up in surprise as the Ninja teacher appeared. Jayden simply stared right at Neti, clearly facinated rather than surprised. The boy rubbed one leather glove covered hand as he rubbed his chin. Instant Teleportation? No. Not flashy enough. Perhaps blink? No that would have more oomph to it. Got it! He did a small barely audiable snap as he realizes what it was. Shadow Magic. Ive only heard about it a few times from Father. Facinating.

He seemed lost in thought as Neti pointed at him. Jayden cracked a rare smile as the teacher called him 'Magic Fingers.' Jayden pushed his chair back before standing up. "I am Jayden Williams. I am from the North American Alliance, and I am techincally a elementalist, though I specalize in pyromancy." He then thinks for a moment before continuing. "I cant speak for everyone, but I believe I was placed in this class to learn theories of magic, such as the elusive source of mana and where it originates from, the theoritical applications of magic such as hybrid magic, and much more. I would continue, but I feel I am here to learn rather than lecture the various theories of magic. I believe that is your job." he finishes the smart ass comment with a small smirk, as if he was simply shooting back at Neti for the magic fingers comment.

The rest of the class snickered and tried to keep from laughing at Jayden's answer, though several failed to do so.

The questioning students turned out to be a welcome distraction from the fire-wielding elephant in the room, though Artoria couldn't help but wonder where the teacher was. She thought it was odd that the students were first to arrive, with the instructor nowhere to be found.

When he finally arrived, Artoria's gaze shot towards him, as she was confounded at how he just appeared like that. There was no trace of magic from a Blink or Teleport spell, so his method of travel was completely lost to her. As he paced around, seemingly without even looking at any of the students, the Princess was confused as to what he was doing. When Neti addressed Jayden for an introduction, she didn't so much as glance back while others turned in their seat to look at him. Although she would look appalled at his snarky comment, and shoot him an angry glare that could very well fire death lasers at him. Show some bloody respect, you utter bell-end!

Neti stood there, giving the other students a chance to laugh at Jayden's quip. He had to hand it to the kid, he was quick witted and not easily pressured by being suddenly thrust into the spotlight. They were good qualities in a mage.

He shrugged his shoulders. "So I'm told." his responses was a simple one, not full of wit or anger. It was a lazy gust of wind that couldn't muster enough energy to blow of dead leaf off a burning branch. "Of course, with answers like yours I'm going to assume that this class will be the smartest group of students I've ever had. I may have to up the difficulty of my lesson plan, other wise anyone will think they can be in the A class."

Neti pointed at another student, forcing them to do the same thing that Jayden had just done. Thanks to the quips and the lighter tone of the conversation, most of the students weren't too nervous when they introduced themselves. Not that he expected much out of them. These were the best first years.

When he got to Artoria, Neti gestured towards her. "Yes. I wouldn't leave you out. Please, stand up and introduce yourself. Though I'm certain most of the students here know you already."

Jayden would look at Artoria's furious glare and simply smirk. The smirk was not haughty or snobby, but rather silly and genuine humor, much to her surprise. He then would look back up at Neti, listening to his response.

Jayden respected the teacher for his easy goingness and lack of anger at his comment. The following sentence about upping the difficulty made him smile once more "I do love a challenge." he said as he sat back down. He would listen to each studnets' answers, but not giving a reaction one way or another.

When the Princess was told to stand, he watched her, his face showing curiousity on how she would answer. He remembered giving her tutoring about the basic theories of magic and going over the beginning sections of the textbook for this class. Thus, he was curious to see if his jackhammering of the information into her brain paid off.

When Artoria's death stare was responded to by a humerous grin, for some reason she couldn't even be mad at him after that. She simply let out a small sigh and turned back around in her seat, facing the teacher. Neti's even-tempered response did baffle her, though she did figure losing one's temper wasn't the best option for one in his position.

When she was finally called on, the Princess stood up from her seat and smoothed out her skirt. "My name is Artoria Pendragon. I hail from the Kingdom of Britannia, as those that I've already met would know." She would smile at the students she had talked with before class, then continued. "As such, my strength relies on my nation's Divine Magic. As for why I'm in this class..." She took a deep breath, then exhaled. "My studies back home didn't cover the academic areas of magic, focusing more on the aspect of combat." She felt it unnecessary to go into detail why, though her mind did linger on it. She glanced over to Jayden, "Magical theory, I feel, is important to understand regardless of your occupation or specialty. After all, imagination and creativity is the basis of being a skilled mage, and what better way to learn more on that than to exchange ideas with your peers?"

Giving speeches was a duty that was expected of her back home, but that didn't make speaking in front of others any easier. She felt her face flush with red slightly when she realized her drawn-out answer that probably ultimately meant nothing, and sat back down.

Neti clapped his hands his Artoria's answer came to an end, the clapping was slow and deliberate but it wasn't mocking. He felt that she had touched upon an important notion in her answer, that up until then, no one had come close to discussing.

"I want everyone to remember something about what she said: imagination and creativity is the basis for of being a skilled mage. I couldn't agree more with this statement, and from now on, everyone else in this room will as well." Neti turned from the students, walking towards his desk again as he spoke. "During your time here, I'll no doubt expect that you will learn different forms of magic."

Neti sat down on his desk, facing the students again. As he spoke, he weaves his fingers through the air, letting a dark shadow trail his fingers. He was forming a fairly complex looking spell glyph.

"Many of those spells will require very monotonous tasks: tracing lines repeatedly, reading the same quote endlessly unless you've memorized it to much that you'll know it in your sleep. This is all very important, but don't forget that magic is not confined by the rules we make for it. Magic is everything and it is far more vast and powerful than we could ever truly hope to understand."

With a wave of his hand, the glyph disappeared.

"In this day and age, there are many people out there that think we've discovered everything we could possibly know. And it is your job as students in this class, to prove them wrong. Use those brains of yours to push our knowledge of magic and our theory of it, to the next level."

Neti paused. "Any questions?"

Jayden nodded along with Artoria's answer to the question. The simmer of respect for the Princess has flared a bit, becoming slightly noticeable. Shes still in need of much knowledge, but maybe there is hope for the freeloader after all. However his pride kicked in, and his anger dosed the ember of admiration that was slowly growing in size. This was because he grew envious of the teacher's reaction to her answer, each clap fanning the flames. The envy gripped his mind like a spark to gasoline, burning the fragile ego of the boy.

However, Jayden managed to swallow his pride and not reveal his emotions. He simply clapped with the other students, who joined in. He managed to resist the urge to shatter her pretty words by exposing her lack of actual knowledge, not wanting to embaress her publically.... yet.

Jayden then went into his usual blank/bored expression, his anger simmering just below the surface just barely flickering in his crimson red eyes. He listened to Neti's opening speech, agreeing with many sentiments of growing one's, and by extension the world's, knowledge of not only magic, but technology.

At the mention of questions, he raised his hand, waiting to be called on. Once he was called on by Neti, he asked "Most magic can be passed on and taught like you would any other bits of knowledge, but not certain magic like inherited. Any theories why? Is it possibly linked to the soul? DNA?"

Artoria was surprised when Neti started clapping. She had kept her head down after she took her seat again, but looked up when he began speaking, not expecting what she said to actually hit the point. She watched him as the instructor spoke, as he demonstrated to the class the intricacy of drawing spell runes. This was a skill that she had zero experience in, as the few spells she had in her arsenal relied more on her overall body movements, rather than incantations or glyphs.

Meanwhile, while it wasn't exactly shown, the Princess could feel a pair of eyes boring holes into the back of her head. Like she could sense.. something from one of the students behind her. She cast aside such thoughts, opting to stay focused on the teacher. When he asked for questions, she couldn't think of anything specific, and would turn back towards Jayden when he spoke up.

Neti let out a soft whistle at the first question that Jayden had decided to ask him: an explanation of Inherited magic. The young mage was already running down the track before the gun had even gone off.

"That's a pretty complicated subject, one that we'll be discussing for the next three years." Neti paused, getting up off of his desk to start pacing in front of his students again. If there was one thing about him that was noticeable within a few minutes, it's that he had a hard time staying still in one place. "I imagine that inherited magic is going to be something that is speculated on for the rest of our lives and we still may not even discover even the smallest portion of the correct answer."

Neti stopped in his pacing, looking in the direction of Jayden as he continued to speak. "But I suppose we can spend some time discussing a few theories that are floating out there. We should probably start with the basic question: how is it inherited? You mentioned the soul and DNA, which are two good options for it. Though it doesn't entirely answer why inherited magic like flight is so well-known in the North American Alliance."

Neti continued his movement, and then continued his little speech. "Myself, I think genetics have an impact on Inherited magic, but I also feel that geography does as well. As I mentioned before, magic exists in all things and it exists in every realm. But who says that magic is always in a constant state? The environment that we grow up in, the various shades of magical energy that we are exposed to, I feel that this also plays a small but intricate part of who we are and what we inherit."

He shrugged. "But that's just a theory, one that not many will agree with me on. For now though, let's try to make this first day a little more interesting. I would like a student to come down in front of the class so we can have a further detail discussion about their inherited magic. Do we have any volunteers?"

Jayden's eyes seem to glow with a childish delight, or curious twinkle as Neti speaks. He nods along to Neti's talking, already having a notepad and pencil out. He furiously takes down notes as Neti speaks, with a small section split off for questions to ask/research later. He also places small stars next to anything he may have to go over with Artoria in their next tutoring session. Clueless Blonde indeed. he thinks as he realizes she may be in over her head with this.

When Neti mentions volunteers, Jayden shrugged and lifted his hand up to volunteer.

What Neti spoke on in regards to Inherited Magic was mostly true, but it was very different for how Britannia's Divine Magic worked. This did bring up a question, though. How did Excalibur choose who received its Divine Blessings and Holy Magic? She had never particularly thought too hard on this, but now her curiosity was piqued. It was different than how other nations did it, likely passing down through their bloodlines or some other similar fashion. She'd make a note in her small notepad to study up more on this subject, as her understanding of Inherited Magic was limited to the basics of what each were... and how to combat them.

Artoria's hand would shoot up the moment Neti asked for volunteers. The little princess was always eager to show off the pride of her nation. Also, perhaps a discussion on her Divine Magic could bring up some answers?

Neti listened to the soft scratches of notes being taken, enjoying not only just the sounds but also the implications. It implied that at least some of his students were finding what he'd said to be interesting. The exact opposite of the snoring he'd expect to hear when it came down to a topic that was all just discussion.

If only I were a hot teacher with a nice rack. I'd never have to worry about keeping thier attention.

Neti brushed his idle thoughts aside as foolishness. If he was anymore good looking, no one would ever be able to pay attention to him.

Instead, he waved to both Jayden and Artoria.

"Come on down, the both of you. I think hearing about both of your magic may help shed a little more light on your question." Neti paused. "Or, like most answers in this field, it'll lead us to more questions."

Jayden slowly stood up and moved to the front of the classroom. He shoots a short but rather annoyed look at Artoria for also volunteering. Nevertheless, he kept his cool and listened to Neti. When it was his turn he looks around at the class while answering Neti's prompt.

"My magic is technically is considered elemental and I could theoritically use every elemental magic, though I heavily focus on fire. Its simply the most useful and versatile element and I've been able to use fire magic ever since I was six years old." Jayden says with a heaviy hint of pride. He continues "I rely on offense over defense, since not many can even take a single hits from me." he finishes with a sly look at Artoria, implying that he could easily beat her with a single spell. Neti could easily sense the tension in the air between the two.

Artoria was likewise annoyed at Jayden for volunteering, and even more irritated that they would have to go up and present together. Despite her grievances, the young Princess adhered to the teacher's instructions and strode towards the front of the class. All the while keeping up a mask of friendliness.

"My nation's Divine Magic is a bit more complicated to explain than his is. Rather than relying on nothing but brute force-" She gave Jayden a glance. "- Our magic is good for more than just waging war on others. Our healers' capabilities are unrivaled, and the body and mental enhancements that some of us are provided with are quite impressive, sometimes even matching that of the Chinese Heavenly Arts. And our barriers can be quite powerful, able to hold up against just about anything." Smirked at Jayden, the Princess added "Even magic that others think is so unstoppable." It was almost as though she turned this into a competition as to whose magic was better. And once again, her inexplicable need to show off her own personal magic came out into the forefront.

Summoning her Armor of Avalon and Caliburn in a flash of light, Artoria grinned widely. Her sword was planted vertically into the ground with both her mitted hands resting on its pommel. "To further emphasize the defensive capabilities of Divine Magic, my magically forged armor provides a moderate amount of magic resistance, meaning that even without my Barrier, I could still take a fair amount of hits with little actual damage." It seemed she was trying to make a point to Jayden that his oh-so-powerful magic wasn't all powerful as he seemed to believe it was.

It didn't take Neti long before he realized that he was standing in the middle of a metaphorical pissing contest between what may be the two most arrogant people in the school. Though it would be fair to say that the two of them had plenty of reasons for having confidence, if not in themselves, at least in their magic capacity.

Instead of addressing what seemed to be passive-aggressive taunting from both sides, he let that pass. Due to the competitive nature of the school, especially due to the standards of Rank A students, having a rival was often a good thing. It led to improvements. Neti attempted to glean any point he could from their descriptions of their magic.

"Here we have two good examples of diversity," Neti began, motioning both to Jayden and Artoria. "We have our attack based magic and our defense based magic. Both of them powerful in their own rights, and we can certainly go on at length for the merits of both. However, which one one of them is stronger is a pointless topic. Strength in magic should only be defined by the person using it, and how flexible and understanding they are of themselves and their opponents."

Neti leaned against his desk. "Our task is to not judge, but question. For instance: was it Jayden's affinity for fire that has caused his magic to mostly be offensive in nature? Or does he have a blow something up and ask questions later personality?" he paused, letting the questions sink in. "On the other hand, does it mean that Artoria here is the complete opposite of Jayden? Does she value defense more? Also, more importantly, why did she just stab my floor?"

Tilting his head to the side, he let the class come to their own conclusions. Of course, this did mean that the other students slowly began talking among themselves, building up the general noise of the classroom as they either joked, or tried to come up with a solution.

Jayden frowned slightly at Artoria's implied superiority but he otherwise didn't seem to care what she said. Brute force never wins she says? Ill show her when I blow up a spell or two in her face. He thought as she continued her explanation. Despite his disdain for her, his eyebrow couldn't help but shoot upwards as she summoned her weapon and armor. Interesting. I wonder if that is her magic, or just her over-relying on other objects other than herself? He noted this to himself, keeping the knowledge for later.

Jayden smirked slightly as Neti spoke about his magic. He seemed confident that little could withstand his endless barrage of long range spells. He actually seemed to freeze slightly, his flames of confidence cooling off slightly as he ponders Neti's words. He makes a valid point. I am rather offense oriented and lack any defensive spells. He listened to the remainder of Neti's speech as he continues to think. Even as the class roared in laughter as Neti asked his "Why did she stab my floor?" joke, Jayden remained serious as he pondered his offensiveness and, now, Artoria's defensiveness.

Strangely Jayden looks at Artoria and says "Ironically, and theoretically, we would make a good team. My long ranged offense with your close ranged defense." He stares at her with his fiery red eyes seeming to pierce her soul. If she stared back, the intensity of his look could shock her. If that didnt, she could see some runic black lines form on his eyes. The black lines were so quickly formed and dispersed that it was almost unnoticeable. Jayden turned away first before heading to his seat. He sat down as he slips into a blank look as he begins his pondering once more.

Back