Maiden of Darkness

He lay on the soft grass, and gazed upon the sky with lazy eyes. He saw the blue sky, milky clouds in feathery white streaks, and the soft rays of the sun, barely peeking into his peripherals. A softer look rose to his eyes as he gazed upon the beautiful array of colours once the sun touched the horizon, the light bending in the atmosphere creating a mesmerizing illusion.

However, his eyes began to widen, his irises growing from the lack of immediate light, the motherly breeze becoming an unforgiving gust. His eyes watched as the sunlight left in layers, saying farewell to yellow, goodbye to pink, and hello to the purple shroud the sky was in, his breathing quickening and his heart pounding quicker as he watched the purple blanket torn away, replaced with a darkness, void of character and warmth.

The howls of prowlers and the biting wind persisted throughout the night, and the man remained stiff and silent, hardly noticeable in the large, open field he lay in, laying in a small impression in the soil, where the plant life didn't grow so dense. He closed his eyes, now trembling within the earthy arms of Mother Nature... and remained so until the sunlight returned.

The man slowly opens his eyes, noticing sunlight teasing his eyes through shut lids, the bright light of midday causing him to spread a smile across his face. He laid there, his eyes narrowing as he watched the sun through squinting eyes. Even slower, he rose from his bed of earth, moist soil caking his bare body, or at least the half that was sunken into the ground. As he stood, he watched the sun, and waited hours, tracking it's course around his world.

He lifted his arm, his extended hand lifting to the sun, and a stairwell rose from the earth, extending to the fiery orb he had tracked all day, and made his way up to the massive fiery orb, taking with him a massive anchor and rope.

Once he reached the top of the stairwell, he was but a few feet of the orb; but a few feet to touch it yet, and spoke:

"Creature of fire, please, come down to my world, and never leave. Your presence fills me with comfort, which I so desperately crave," He spoke, his voice the only sound piercing through the thick wind that muffled his voice at his altitude.

"No, I will remain in the sky, with the moon..." A voice said, coming from the orb... or from the direction of the orb, for from behind the orb, came a beautiful maiden, clad in a dark, beautiful silk dress, her eyes like sapphires embedded in pearls, her lips as red as rubies, her skin fair and clear. "... and I will remain here with my son." She spoke, laying a gentle hand on the surface of the orb of infernos.

The man was still once more, gazing at her form with wide eyes. Following a short pause, the man said:

"Your sun fills me with warmth, and lets me live without fear of the foul prowlers of the night," However, this complaint caused the maiden to narrow her eyes, giving him a fierce scowl.

"I will fulfill your request, and give you a gift," The maiden replied sharply, and promptly produced a thin, dark veil, presenting it to the man, who warily took it. "I use this to conceal the light once my son reaches the Dark Side. If you ever want me to take away the light, I will happily reclaim it, and my son will resume it's usual path."

The man agreed to her proposal, and he returned to his home, settling himself back into the groove he had been in before their transaction. Like the maiden had promised the orb of fire didn't move an inch, and stayed rooted in place without his anchor. For hours and hours on end, the sun shone, and the monsters didn't return. The man relaxed in the same location for days, weeks, even months.

After a long period, the man gazed at the blazing sun overhead. He pursed his lips, somehow feeling a bit of discomfort, as the temperature just kept increasing. Pursing his lips caused him to realize how parched they were, and he rose once more to wet his lips at a nearby lake. On his trek, he noticed the plant life that dominated the area. It had turned a golden color, covering the once lush green fields in yellow.

Pressing on, the man arrived at the lake, where he had moistened his lips many times before, only to find that it was gone. The soft banks of the lake were now hard, dry slopes, covered in dry reeds and wilting weeds. Out in the open, he noticed a stinging sensation on the back of his reddened neck, and looked up to the sun, rooted in the sky, just as he had asked. To his surprise, a bead of water fell from the sky hitting him in the face, moistening his lips all the while.

However, he curiously wandered up the stairway he had made, veil in hand, to end the heatwave and set the sun back on its course, and also to uncover why water was pouring from the sky. He arrived at the top of the steps, where the maiden was found sobbing, crumpled at the top of his stairwell, her tears raining back to earth. She turned to him, her face wet with tears.

"Have I hurt you?" The man asked. "I... didn't mean to do so." He explained gingerly, crouching by the maiden's side, putting a hand on her shoulder. The woman hissed, and tore her body away.

"You... ignorant child. Deepening my soul's wounds with your harsh words," She sobbed, crawling away from the man, who drew his hand back, clenching his teeth, worry spreading across his face.

"What...? What wounds have I worsened?" He asked, looking to the woman, who looked back through tears.

"I... can never enjoy... the company of my children," The maiden choked through sobs. "For they hide from my son's light... but I must push him across the sky each day," The maiden then revealed her hands, flames licking the liquid sun residue that coated her hands.

Back