Ame Damnee Martell Estate

M

Meliodas

image.jpg

Nestled on a secluded cove on the outskirts of New Eden, the Martell estate is home to one of New Eden’s most influential families. The sprawling mansion complex gives way to a thriving vineyard, fruitful and well-maintained. The deep, rocky cove contains a single berth for one of the Admiral’s private ships, a small sloop he keeps for sentimental value, but contains little else, and little in the way of defenses.

(Credit to SedentaryCobra)

Last edited by a moderator:
Mireia, Going to Dining Area

Mireia let out a huge sigh of content as she stood in her chemise, the wind brushing her face and strands of curly hair tickling her neck. It was a beautiful morning today; Perfect for tea and tea cakes. "Can't you just feel how smooth the wind is against your skin, Louise?" she exclaimed dreamily, twirling around once. "Yes, yes, now come inside before someone sees you. It's not ladylike to stand out there with just your undergarments on." Mireia giggled and pursed her lips in amusement. "No one can see from this side of the ocean," she countered cheekily, stepping back inside of her room and going over to the mirror. "So, today, I get to go horseback riding and have a picnic with my husband. I hope we can have dinner together with my father as well. There's still so much I've yet to share," Mireia exclaimed, lifting her arms up as Theresa, one of the other ladies in waiting, reached around her to place the corset against her stomach and began threading it up. "Brace yourself, madam."

"Huh?" Suddenly, she let out a gasp. Shit. She couldn't breathe for a moment there. "Good god," she exclaimed surprised, laughing for a moment. "I told you to brace yourself," Theresa, a brown-haired angel, chuckled. "You could've been more direct," she pouted. "If there's anything I dislike about getting dressed in the morning, it's this blasted corset I have to wear all the time." Louise nodded sympathetically, and placed the corset cover over her head, then tied a few layers around around her waist, including the petticoat and a beautiful silk skirt the color of pale sunflower petals. After a bit, Mireia was finally all dressed up in a ravishing dress that highlighted her unusual optimism this morning. She nodded in approval at her competition in the mirror, played with the beautiful updo her ladies in waiting had done, and smiled. Mireia placed her hands on her hips and twirled a little from side to side, admiring herself for a few before grabbing Remon's handkerchief on her pillow and leaving the room.

Hopefully, her favorite food would be served with today's breakfast. Quail eggs.

Henri - Dining Room

Henri, a man in his late 50s, had just finished setting up the table with his lady's favorite meal, quail eggs on fresh greens and a glass of chilled water and a pot of hot tea. He had served the lady and the estate for many years and saw the young lady as her daughter, and sometimes treated her as such, but as her servant, he was allowed to spoil a bit. Soon he heard her walking to the dining room where he poured quickly and carefully pours a quick cup of tea for Mireia before walking over to the dining room door and opening it up to let her in.

"Hello my dear lady. I trust you had good night's sleep. There has been some commotion in the main city last night so I do recommend you avoid leaving the estate until everything is resolved. But other then that I had prepared for you, your breakfast. I hope you enjoy."

Mireia, Dining Room

She was glad to be greeted with a warm heart she'd known for years. She smiled at Henri, showing off her dimples. "Very much so. I hope the same for you," she responded in kind. Her curiosity peaked though, at the mention of commotion in the main city. "What sort of commotion has there been?" she inquired, a servant pulling out one of the chairs for her so she could take a seat. Mireia sat down, stuffed Remon's handkerchief in her sleeve to keep it close and safe. "A riot?" she speculated, stealing a quick glance from Henri. "Someone terrorizing the villages, perhaps?" Her heart melted at the meal before her; Quail eggs. There'd been many times when she'd hoped to repay kindness, but she knew she wasn't exactly skilled in cooking, so she'd been reminded many times that her smiling presence was enough for compensation for anyone. She picked up the fork and knife to cut and take a small bite of quail egg and leafy greens.

"I don't know my lady, but I would assume the first. This morning I saw some smoke, and some of the city guard came around asking if everything was alright." Henri replied. "Again as much as you may not like it, I would appreciate it if you were to stay home for the next day or two, for things to settle down. I would hate to think that something might happen to you without me knowing."

Mireia ate another small bite. She felt a little discouraged about staying inside. There was more to life than just sewing and playing the piano, but she obliged Henri's request. "Of course," she responded, nodding her head in acknowledgement. "I'll stay per your request. Hopefully, things will lighten up soon." She continued to eat in silence. "I suppose my husband is out there, anyways. His job requires him to be active in protecting the citizens of New Eden." It wouldn't have been a surprise if she'd gone over to his estate, only to find out that he'd canceled their plans for the sake of New Eden's security. She bit back a rude remark, swallowing her food, and instead following up proudly, "I expect nothing more from him. He's a great person. Duty is important."

"Yes, yes of course." Henri let the room become silent for moment as the lady ate. He didn't want to bother her but her Mireia's husband made his demands earlier this morning, and Henri must respect the lord's wishes. "Speaking of duty...Your husband...has indeed left to tend to the city. He...asked me, to ask you if...you were going to get rid of the...Balloy lad's handkerchief." Henri said. Of course he knew she didn't throw it out, but at the same time he hoped she did. It wasn't healthy for a married woman to keep mementos of men's past, especially ones as personal as Remon's handkerchief.

Suddenly, Mireia was more aware of why she never really enjoyed being around her husband, what she really had to put up with, and the pain of never being able to separate from someone who didn't love you. Mireia was silent once more for the time being before she spoke up again in an eerily calm voice, "What kind of request is that? How many times has he asked me to do such a thing? Once, twice, perhaps fifty times? How many times have I told him I won't get rid of it? More than enough." She took one last bite and sighed, placing her fork down. "I've lost my appetite." She stood up from the table, a somber look on her face. It truly angered her how direct her husband was on such a delicate situation. Why couldn't he just leave it be? Remon was more than just some boy; He was her best friend, the only friend she'd ever had. Why couldn't he see that? Mireia decided she would go to the library, in hopes of finding solitude. Before she left the dining area, she stopped in front of Henri and spoke loud and clear. "I don't care if my husband wants me to get rid of Remon's handkerchief. Please do not speak of the situation so lightly. If he wishes for me to get rid of it, he will ask me instead, not you. Are we clear?"

"Of course my lady." Henri replied with a polite bow. His tone was low and somber. He knew this was how she would react. He spent his entire career watching her grow up, and knew her better then she did. He followed her, talking to her along the way. "I do not wish to anger you my lady, but you know how your husband can be. He made it rather clear that he believes it to be rather childish for you to keep such souvenirs. Plus he wishes for an heir in the near future to continue the family line, and pardon me for being rather crude, it is not healthy for you to be pining for a boy who disappeared years ago while married. He simply worries for you, as does your I, as does your father."

Last edited:
Mireia took out Remon's handkerchief out from her sleeve and clutched onto it. This was all she had left of him; It was the only thing that reminded her of him. She cringed at Henri's statement. There was nothing childish about being sentimental. She didn't understand what was wrong. It was frustrating. "Why can't he just let it go? Is he jealous? Does he think I'd leave him for Remon? I don't even know where Remon is! No one does! He's probably dead, by now! I'm not pining after him!" Mireia turned abruptly on Henri, pain in her eyes. "Why can't you understand?! Remon was my only friend, Henri. This is all I have left of him." She shook the handkerchief at him. "I can't rest until I know what truly happened to him. Please understand. I beseech you. Remon is not the kind of man to just leave like that. He wouldn't just go without telling me goodbye." There was something else she didn't know, but she couldn't put her finger on it. Mireia wrapped her arms around herself, voice quiet and shaking. "I'm sorry I yelled at you."

Henri sighed and placed his hand on her shoulders. "It was your right to. I know you're struggling with some very tough choices, but I believe that in the end everything shall resolve itself." He told her in a quiet and soft tone. He could only imagine the emotions swirling through her right now. He turns her around and gently lifts her head in order to have her look at him. "Look at me. For decades I watched you grow up into a fine woman. Whatever your choices you make, whatever you decide, no matter how absurd it may be, as long as it is your own choice and it is what you truly want, then eventually you will find your own eternal happiness, and I hope that I shall be at your side when you do. It is my duty after all." Henri added and gives her a warm smile, letting her know that his words were true.

Was she really a child to hold onto something so small and petty as a handkerchief for six years? Mireia sometimes felt like she was. She couldn't count how many times her husband had complained to her time and time again about her sentiments. Mireia didn't want to face him, but she sighed and glanced up at Henri when he lifted her chin up. His words touched her heart, brimming her eyes with tears.

She turned her head and blinked them away. "You're too kind," she mumbled, slowly releasing her grip on her arms. "I can't thank you enough. Even now, you're always there, standing in front of me. When was the last time he stood in front of me...?" She trailed off, thinking about Remon. "I'm sorry, I'm thinking too much into it. My husband is right; I should stop dwelling on it, shouldn't I?"

Mireia turned and continued to walk towards the library, all the while continuing her conversation with Henri. Her husband wanted an heir even after she considered their marriage destroyed. "Does he think giving him an heir is the only way to rekindle our relationship?" she mused. "It bothers me. What goes on in his mind? What goes on in mens' mind? I don't understand."

Henri thought about what Mireia had said as they continued their walk."I don't know. I'm just a simple servant of the estate, but if I had to guess, I would say it's not to rekindle your relationship, but more to secure his position in the family, adding his family blood to the Martells therefore making his family a permanent part of yours, even if he were to die." This wasn't what Mireia wanted to hear but it was the truth. A harsh truth, but a truth Mireia hopefully already knew. "Such is the game of politics and nobility. I play no part in the game obviously, but I have seen enough in my time to know how it is played. For what it's worth, I do wish you the best of fortune on whatever you decide to do in the near future."

Mireia chuckled a little at Henri's explanation. Yes, she'd heard it all before. Boring. "You're right. I just need to play along," she spoke, trying not to sound sarcastic. "It's my duty as his wife to give him an heir, to give him a son, and make sure he grows up healthy and strong like his father." She felt fake, talking about everything as if she enjoyed it. It was tiring. She tried to shake her nerves off. "Will you listen to me play the piano, please?" she inquired kindly as they came upon the library entrance. "I've a feeling it'll help me calm down a bit."

"Why of course. It is one of my favorite times of day if I'm being honest with myself." Henri replied. He always loved to hear Mireia play. He feels it's the few times in her life that she can really just let go and be herself. He opens the library entrance for her, as a good servant should. When she enters, he gives her a small bow before closing the door behind her with a soft thud and a hard click. "I hope you don't mind but I had the opportunity to add a few new books into the library. To keep you occupied while you are cooped up in the estate."

She smiled at Henri's response; There was nothing she enjoyed more than entertaining her friends and the piano was like her child. She entered the quiet sanctuary and made her way over to the large sleek black instrument. The news of a few new books being added made her heart soar. "Not at all," she replied warmly, clasping her hands together. "I appreciate your gesture."

Her fingers touched the dusty keys, pressing gently down on a d sharp major chord and a g chord. The melodious sounds lingered to her ears; she felt light, like an angel lifting her up into the sky. She took a seat on the wooden piano bench and placed Remon's handkerchief at the top of the piano in front of her.

She wasn't sure what her mind wanted her to play, but she understood what her heart wanted. When she placed her fingers on the white and black keys, they rippled across the piano like waves, calming her senses. A sorrowful tune began to echo throughout the room, slow, graceful. Mireia closed her eyes, imagining herself standing on the rocks with Remon as the wind caressed her cheeks.

It was therapeutic; There was some kind of magic she felt whenever her fingers hit the piano keys.

@ChelonianCommander

Henri stayed quiet and listened. While Mireia played, the piano sounded somber. He had listened to this more then once and since the Belloy servant had left it's becoming more and more frequent and had been getting a little longer every time shes played. Her heart was heavy and there was very little Henri could do to alleviate her hardships. He could only stand to the side as she played.

As she played however, a posh man opens up the door make a loud creek as the doors open up, interrupting Mireia's playing. "Though I found you here. Henri, tell me what is the meaning of this."

Henri cleared his throat at the arrival of Mireia's husband, Martin Bastien. "Lord Bastien, I was merely accompanying, the Lady-"

"To the library, instead of having her stay in the dining hall where I was supposed to find her when I returned? Do you know how worried I was?" He turns to Mireia, who was one the piano, but he didn't focus on her, but the handkerchief on the piano. He walks over to the piano and picks up the handkerchief. "What is this? I thought I told you to discard this at least 50 times by now." He said with an angered but forcefully calm tone.

Mireia could truly feel herself sinking into the moment, the spray of sea salt in her face, the warm grip of Remon's hand against her own, and— Creak. Mireia accidentally hit a key too low, ending the middle of the song in a mistake. She glanced over, watching her husband begin to make insidious accusations. She quickly stood up from the bench and moved to stand in front of it. Just when things had been fine, just when she'd been fine...

"You know what it is," she muttered, eyes downcast, looking anywhere but at his face. "If you were worried, you would've asked a servant where I was and came in quietly. Why are you here? I thought you were attending to your duties. Is it over already?"

"No, I merely wished to head home for a quick breakfast before I leave." Martin replied. He stayed silent for second as he looked at the handkerchief before throwing it on the ground. He stared into Mireia's eyes with a foreboding anger radiating from him. "I though I told you to toss that trash out. It is just a distraction from your familial duties. Might I remind you that it is you are the only child of your father, and it is your duty to provide and heir for your family less you have the entire estate devolve into a state of abandonment."

Martin lifted up her chin to get her to prevent her from looking away before speaking in a commanding whisper. "Now I want to make myself clear. I want you to discard that piece of cloth and forget about that dead servant. I want you to wait here, in the estate for my return later tonight where I can find you. I want you to understand that your family requires an heir whether you like it or not. Is that understood." Martin gave a pregnant pause to let his words sink in. He didn't even let her answer before letting her go and leaving the library.

Henri waited until Martin had left the library. He quietly closes the door and carefully walks up to Mireia. "My lady, are you alright?" He asks

Mireia felt her cheeks flush in embarassment as Martin studied her in silence. She knew what he was thinking; Henri had even explained it to her before. She was childish. A stupid and incompetent young lady. He threw down the handkerchief and the floor, and while her first instinct was to bend down and pick it up, Martin distracted her from finishing her goal.

He placed his hand underneath her chin and forced her to look him in the eye. She tried not to let her fear show, but just as she was about to open her mouth to speak, he left without another word. Mireia gritted her teeth, her shoulder muscles tensing under pressure. She shook like a leaf as another silent crying spell blurred her vision. Mireia blinked once, then twice, allowing Henri's question to sink in.

"He wants to see me tonight," she replied mournfully. Her voice became barely above a whisper, "It scares me."

Back