MASKS (Open World Superhero RP)

ViceVersus

The character on the box art.
OOC: Welcome to MASKS, an open world superhero sandbox where all existing comic book/superhero universes are canon. Whether you stand for good, evil, or somewhere in between -- suit up, take flight, and dive in! This is YOUR origin story.

No character sheets required. OCs welcome. Existing heroes/villains welcome. Play as you post.

Liberty City

The signal led her here. Regan stopped to catch her breath, leaning against the brick as she peered down the alley. "Amber?"

"Stay away, please!" a young, thin voice begged from the other side of the green dumpster.

"Amber, my name's Regan. I'm here to help you, honey!" Regan maintained an upbeat, nonthreatening tone. She took a few steps deeper in. Amber was huddled against the dumpster, sitting on her pink backpack with her knees drawn to her chest.

"There are bad men trying to get me," dark thick curls hid her small face. "They chase me."

"I know, baby," Regan took a knee, heart breaking. "You've been so brave."

"Please stay away!" Amber whispered. Her hair fell away. Her eyes were wide like saucers. "I'm scared. And I hurt people when I'm scared."

“What’re you scared of, sweetie?”

Amber clapped her hands against her head. She trembled. Then she pointed at herself.

"You're scared of yourself?" Regan leaned forward. "I used to be scared of myself, too. I could do things with my mind that no one understood. It was scary, being different. I just wanted to be like everyone else. Do you know what that’s like?”

Amber nodded. She pushed tears from her eyes with the grubby palm of her hand, and regarded Regan somberly. “ ..What can you do?”

“I can make things move, sweetie!” Regan smiled with her biggest, sunniest smile. “Someone came to me and helped me, talked to me how I’m talking to you. And helped me control my powers by understanding what was happening. That’s what I want to do for you, Amber. I want to help you learn and understand. Can I do that?”

“Are you still scared?” Amber asked, eyebrows furrowed.

“Sometimes. But bad men, like the ones who’re after you? They’re scared of you. If anyone ever hurts you, you come to me first, okay?” Regan reached out a hand. “Come with me, sweet girl.”

Amber’s eyes became distrustful.

“Amber, I want to take you somewhere that you’ll be safe from bad men. And you’ll be able to learn about the things you can do. And no one will make you feel like you are different or bad.”

“Will you be there too?” Amber leaned away.

Regan laughed. “It’s my home too, sweetheart!”

Amber smiled. She reached out and took Regan’s hand. Regan pulled her to her feet, and gave her a hug.

“My friends have a cool jet that will take us to this place!” Regan picked up Amber's backpack, and brushed the wet off of it brisky. She took Amber's hand, and walked the child out of the alley. "You're gonna love it there. I--"

A tentacle slammed in from the side, attempting to curl around Amber’s waist. Regan’s force shields flared blue, barely managing to block the blow. Amber screamed.

Regan heard a familiar whistling from up above. She acted reflexively, deflecting two spinning blades. They went skittering down the alley.

“Amber, we have to GO!” Regan shouted, squeezing the girl’s hand. They ran into the street.

Having never run with a child before, Regan felt a stab of dismay at how slowly Amber followed. The tentacles had time for another strike, and the Bladesmaster dropped in from up high.

“No fair.. ” Wayne whirled his chain through the air. The blades at the end glinted in the streetlight with every rotation making a whomp-whomp-whomp sound as the spiky-haired man made a step-by-step approach. “We saw her first.”

Amber drew herself to Regan’s side.

“I see you and Zok have graduated to kidnapping,” Regan declared, standing tall, pink backpack in one hand, child hugging at her leg.

Wayne laughed. “Isn’t that what you’re doing?”

Zok emerged from the alley. He cut a startling figure, a bipedal humanoid alien with a grossly mutated fleshy mass attached to his back, shoulders, and neck that he could manipulate — and, indeed, shoot out as tentacles. Zok's mandibles chattered.

“The bad man!” Amber squeaked.

Wayne smacked the blade end of his swinging chain into the pavement a few times, causing sparks. “Why don’t you—”

They never got to find out the rest of that sentence. A new figure materialized out of seemingly nowhere directly above Wayne’s head, smashing the Bladesmaster to the ground from the force of a full-sized human landing on his head. Regan and Amber bolted.

“Sorry man!” Jack Uly, the Crow, patted the stunned form of Wayne on the shoulder, gathering himself up for the chase.

Zok had plunged after Amber, the true target. He lengthened the mass on his back, using them as massive arms, pounding the ground and sling-shotting himself through the air, where he cannonballed into Regan. Regan went tumbling, separated from Amber.

“NO!” Amber wailed, as Zok turned on her. Regan was up in a flash, lashing out with a double-fist concussive blast of power. The first slammed into Zok's shoulder, jerking him aside. The second, Zok tanked dead-on, spitting to the side wetly.

“Don’t hurt her!” Amber shouted. She brushed back her long, thick curls, revealing a pale heart-shaped face. She curled her fists. The air began to shimmer.

Jack scrambled away from Wayne, who was beginning to stir.

“REGAN,” Jack screamed. “GET AWAY!”

The air heated, a blast of warmth. Regan’s eyes widened. She spun on her heel, whipping two pinwheel blasts of force into the pavement, causing an isolated collapse around where Zok's mutated appendages lay, burying them for a moment. She propelled herself to the side.

Amber opened the air in a pure cone of flame. Regan hit the ground and covered her face. The fire seared, with its hotness, and her extreme proximity. There was a charred mound where Zok had once been. Amber stood, panting heavily, eyes glowing red. The ground still burned freely. Regan slapped a hand over her mouth in shock.

“Time to go—” Jack pulled Regan to her feet. Amber turned, stepped away from the destruction.

Regan came for Amber, clamping her hand in her own. It was cold and clammy, with zero indication of the inferno released a seconds ago.

Above them, Jack and Regan heard the whine of the NEST shuttle as it approached. Blue lights lasered Amber used her free hand to shield her eyes as the ship settled, trying to find a free space to lower a platform amid all the burning.

Jack dashed past, beckoning them as the landing platform lowered. Amber stumbled. Regan caught her. They hurried into the shuttle. As the door began to shut, Regan turned and looked behind her at the wasteland of a street. She saw Wayne’s lithe form darting around the diminishing flames, searching for his partner. The hatch closed, the heat cut short.

Regan reached up and grabbed hold of the holding room handles as the thrusters hit full power, propelling them into the sky. Amber buried her head into Regan’s stomach. Regan used a free hand to press the girl to her.

The lights in Holding were bright red and blinking as they made their ascent. Everyone’s ears popped. Then, the floor lighting changed to yellow briefly, then green. The pressure in the cabin equalized.

"You're okay, honey," Regan murmured, stroking Amber's hair. Her skin pricked at how close she had come to being barbequed. She made eye contact with Jack, who gave her a grimly knowing look. "You're okay..."

A tall, lean figure strolled over to them, her bare feet silent on the colour changing floor. Multi-coloured hair tumbled down past her waist, an odd mottling of white, brown, black, red, even cheeky shades of green and magenta peeked through. Her eyes might be called hazel, if a person was boring, they were a similar array of strange colours, consistently shifting and changing. Her skin was the noncommittal shade of olive, accented by the undyed shift she wore, belted at her waist with plaited leather.
She knelt down before Amber,
"Hello," Her voice was soft and gentle, "My name's Oona. That was pretty scary, huh? Good thing Regan got you out of there. How about we get you buckled in?"

Oona had once been called a wolf-god, but really, she was just a very long lived shapeshifter. She'd seen many cultures come and go, and few made her as sad as this modern world.

Amber nodded silently, eyes wide as saucers. Regan only knew Oona in passing, but the shapeshifter had this way of making everything seem okay. Regan licked at chapped lips as the shapeshifter led the young firemancer to one of the seats against the sloped shuttle wall.

Jack clapped Regan hard on the back so hard it made her flinch, and ducked into the cockpit to speak with their pilot. Regan gave Amber a reassuring smile, hoping to gloss over any uncertainty she had felt before

"Oona is another friend, just like Jack!" who disappeared again, like he always did. Regan didn't have the energy to maintain the smile, and she knew Amber was the type of girl who could tell when grown-ups were lying. "She and I have to talk just for a second. Is that okay?"

Oona buckled Amber in, giving her a cheerful wink and then stepping aside to talk to Regan.
"What's the deal?" She asked, "I just got hauled out of bed because, for some reason, someone thinks I'm good in a firefight, or because I'm good cannon fodder and can't die, not sure which one." She looked at Regan, her eyes shifting to a concerned green, "Are you alright, can I help you? You look exhausted." She patted her sides, as if checking pockets, not that she had any, "I'd give you a protein bar or something, but I don't have any on me."

Regan swiped sweaty palms on her jeans. She looked off to the right. There was only darkness visible out the viewport. "I dunno if a protein bar could settle me. She turned an entire city block into Dante's Inferno. And Quaza's guys almost beat us there. I don't wanna think about what would have happened if we had gotten in the wrong way of that blast."

Regan folded her arms over her chest in an attempt to stop fidgeting. She stared down at her feet, shifted her weight, then looked back up at Oona.

"I don't know if we've met officially before," the Psion cleared her throat, attempting to recover some of her professionalism. She extended a hand to the shapeshifter. "I've definitely seen you in the room at briefings. But this is the first time, I think, that we've been on a Collection before. Unless I'm mistaken?"

"No, you're right," Oona said, taking Regan's hand and shaking it firmly, "I don't normally go on these sorts of things, but I'm good with kids, so I guess that's why I got picked today." She shuddered a little herself, "It was bad enough on the monitor, I'm very glad my tail wasn't out there and I can't die." She glanced over at the child, "So what happens now?"

Jack Crow burst back into the main hangar area in time to hear Oona's question.

"We get this girl back to NEST," Crow's voice was dry and thin. He was slight in frame with blue-black hair that hung around his pale face in a finger-length bowl. The back and silver cowl cape he wore gave him an exaggerated, almost theatrical appearance as he leaned against the doorway and looked over at Amber as though he had caught the biggest trout in the lake. "And we keep working."

Our fearless leader, Regan thought, biting her lip. NEST was an offshoot of the League of Heroes. While politely called a training ground for young heroes, most non-League vigilantes (and even some civilians) were quick to label NEST as an sinister "acquisition" group. Young supers were hot assets, and when NEST agents came calling, it usually meant a life of being a hero.

Regan herself was a testament of the League system. At a tender age, she had been spirited away from the bad side of town in a failing city when her force field manipulation powers began to dip out of control. After joining the NEST program, and graduating to the status of a fully-fledged, licensed and endorsed League hero, she joined a team of heroes newly-installed to Trennorville -- the very city that she had grown up in.

Regan was currently on loan to NEST as an agent, from her team in Trennorville, the Infinity Five. So far it had been going okay. Regan owed her life and her sanity to NEST recognizing the toxicity of her situation (bouncing from foster home to foster home, struggling with her abilities) and so often had difficulty rationalizing the bitter hatred most non-League vigilantes felt towards the League of Heroes, as to her, NEST and the League had been so formative and helpful.

Still, there were moments like the possessive look on Crow's face where Regan couldn't help wondering if she was on the right side. She knew how strictly the League managed itself. She knew founding members of the League who had turned their backs on the institution realizing how thigns had changed.

At one time, if you were a member of the League of Heroes, that meant something. It gave you a name. Something to stand by. It heightened you to a better class of hero.

Nowadays .. if you weren't a member of the League of Heroes, you were a villain.

Regan tried to blink away the sight of Zok's charred remains.

And the League did not deal kindly with villains.

OOC: Pumped out a little exposition here. Feel free to expand your char and do the same if you want!

Reactions: Dex
OOC: That's great, giving me ideas of how my character will fit better into this world...

IC:
Oona sighed, new to the NEST program, she'd been recruited primarily because of her calming way with children.
It was only for the children that she had agreed, like the canine she shifted into, she valued the young, the future.
Normally, Oona was her own agent, usually found wandering remote pieces of countryside, trying to keep herself from sliding into depression at the destruction that the humans were doing to this planet. Even so, she didn't like how many children, graduated from NEST, who didn't go their own way in the world, they stayed within the safety and control of the League, perhaps that was another reason why she hadn't been working with the older children, she would sow dissension. She had been alive for a lot longer than most of the governing body, so long, she didn't even know her own origin, just that she had always been.

There was no shortage of work to be done. Within the hour after taking Amber to the safety of the NEST base, another call was sent over the hangar radio. What was believed to be a super was out of control inside a local Chinese restaurant. According to the manager who escaped the sudden attack and called the police, multiple people had "melted" or "disappeared before his eyes" after a young woman on the wait staff began having a panic attack. Currently the city police had been dispatched to the scene and a standoff situation was now in progress. The suspected super had not come out, or shown any signs of trying to leave, but intermittent screaming could be heard from inside. The screams were piercing enough to crackle their way into the radio broad cast and echo through the hangar.

OOC: @Fairner, I think as we go on I'll add a "tab" to this thread and start breaking down OC factions like NEST and the League. You've definitely got a handle on it though. I can for-sure see the autocracy of the League being wary of a being that essentially outdates their control.

@aryamajor hullo! Thanks for dropping by.

_____

"God damn that sound!" the police chief hissed, as the screams ripped through the air. The other officers looked to him for orders. He huffed, and looked over at the League hero next to him. "Where are the rest of you?"

"On their way," Sag muttered. Sagittare was an arsenal bowman in the vein of Green Arrow or Hawkshot. The shades had been drawn on the front windows of the Great China Buffet. No clear shot. Sag was uncomfortably aware that all eyes were on him.

Another riff of a scream rolled through the air. There was something unnatural about it in the worst way. Sag braced himself, hands on his bow. No shot. No chance. Why'd the crowd-control sniper have to get stuck on a standoff with no vision?

The manager who had escaped the restaurant a bald, frantic Chinese man with steadily growing sweat stains under a gray button-up, had sat himself on the curb. He fanned himself, one of the waifish wait staff girls there with him. Sag looked around at the whirling sirens, policemen braced against squad cars.

Something bad's going on in there .. Sag felt glum. He retracted his bow, instead flexing gloved hands. He stood taller. I can't wait for NEST agents. I've got the League name, I've gotta figure something out ..

He rolled his shoulder, and stepped away from the police chief, eyes narrowed behind his mask, taking in the scene.

I mean, until NEST arrives.

"Anyone in there?" Sag called, approaching step-by-step. I really hate my job. "Hello?"

Another agonized scream came from within and something hard slammed against the weather-worn, red door of the restaurant. The door bumped and jiggled as the desperate screech of nails sliding down the other side began to accompany the pained shrieks. The golden handle turned and out tumbled an older woman. She fell out into the street as she screeched clutching at her wrinkled face, or what was left of it. The woman's face was melting away and turning to a tan colored sand.
The balding buffet manager pointed and began nodding frantically at the police chief who had gone slack jawed in horror.
The woman writhed in earsplitting anguish on the gum spotted side walk. "Please! Please! Oh god! It burns!"
Her cries were cut short as the rest of her faded away, falling into a pile of grainy sand where she lay. The chief stared at the pile, some of it blowing away in the hot breeze, before peering inside the door. The lighting inside was dim but it was apparent the elderly woman had not been the only casualty.
Chairs and tables were over turned, random, and a few indistinguishable mounds of sand lay near the door.
“Hey, super, you sure you don’t want to wait on your buddies to get here?” the chief asks flatly as he stared into the door.

(Thank you guys! I wasnt sure where to jump in at so any direction is helpful. And I love all of the characters so far. :) )

OOC: I don't think I'll have Regan on the Chinese restaurant call. It makes sense to me that she would rest or be off-duty for a little while after coming back to NEST HQ with Amber. But if @Fairner you want to have a character be it Oona or someone else venture to meet & help Sag that would be cool. Or I can timeskip forward and Regan and Oona can go on another mission. Timelines are probably going to jump around a lot which is fine with me.

OOC: If I need to change the last post I can, I was trying to make it open for more characters/players to join if they wanted to.^^ I'm my experience with rp is mostly 1x1, so any time jumps or things that need to be added/ subtracted are fine with me. lol

((OOC: I'll let Oona sit this one out. Will you be putting another tab up or continue as an extension of this one? I'm not 100% sure how that works, is all))

OOC: I think what I'll do is make a separate OOC thread that we can communicate in. I see now that having OOC in the IC thread can be very cluttering. :) I'll continue to have Sag act on your scene @aryamajor but if anyone else wants to join as the team coming in for backup, that'd be cool. I'll timeskip us @Fairner, if you want to write your own post and figure out what Oona would do to spend some time, that would be cool. I kinda imagined she'd be requested to be at the "How to Throw a Car" class as well.

Another agonized scream came from within and something hard slammed against the weather-worn, red door of the restaurant. The door bumped and jiggled as the desperate screech of nails sliding down the other side began to accompany the pained shrieks. The golden handle turned and out tumbled an older woman. She fell out into the street as she screeched clutching at her wrinkled face, or what was left of it. The woman's face was melting away and turning to a tan colored sand.
The balding buffet manager pointed and began nodding frantically at the police chief who had gone slack jawed in horror.
The woman writhed in earsplitting anguish on the gum spotted side walk. "Please! Please! Oh god! It burns!"
Her cries were cut short as the rest of her faded away, falling into a pile of grainy sand where she lay. The chief stared at the pile, some of it blowing away in the hot breeze, before peering inside the door. The lighting inside was dim but it was apparent the elderly woman had not been the only casualty.
Chairs and tables were over turned, random, and a few indistinguishable mounds of sand lay near the door.
“Hey, super, you sure you don’t want to wait on your buddies to get here?” the chief asks flatly as he stared into the door.

Sag, still front & center in view of everyone, drew his bow as the screaming peaked. He pulled back a stun-shot and crouched, the clinking of the wheel mechanism in his bow a welcome salve to the commotion within. When the woman fell out into the street, Sag rose and lowered his weapon. And then in front of God and everyone she melted into goddamn chaff in the wind.

Over the buffet manager's terrified babble, the sound of dozens of police offers shifting was subtle, yet immense. Shifting meant pulling back slightly. Still there, still present. But maybe not leaning forward so much. Or maybe not with their cheeks pressed against their upper arms while sighting down their firearms. And they all looked to the man that the League of Heroes had decided was a "superhero" there to save the day.

I did not sign up for this, Sagitarre felt white-hot fear creep through him. He was thankful that the mask covered his entire face. He certainly looked impressive in full combat gear with leather reinforced accents.

The chief's dark comment gave Sag a prick of annoyance with its truth.

"Better me than you, man," Sag drew the stun-shot again, creeping towards the door still. He raised his voice, and addressed the sandy, dark, overturned depths of the restaurant. He tried not to think about himself as a pile of dirt. "Is anyone hurt inside? Is anyone alive?"

NEST HQ. Morning.

Although surrounded by a lifestyle of military precision when at the NEST campus, Regan still found herself making jagged risings. 6:43, 4:39. Her body would find a way to be restless before alarms would blare.

That morning, she was up before 7, heading out of the agent dorms across the grassy campus to the main hall where the young heroes gathered. Regan remembered the way well. This would be where Amber would be introduced to the other students living at NEST.

The cafeteria, which had been Regan's first stop, was bustling with activity. A pair of giggling girls zoomed past Regan, very nearly knocking her over, one in pigtails flying with pink energy, the other cross-legged mid-air with a scarf streaming behind her. The tables were full-up of the next generation of League heroes stuffing their faces before super training that day.

Against the wall was Dove, a small, thin woman in a white cardigan and light blue blouse. Regan always felt like she had to speak quietly to Dove, who had giant doe-eyes, was assistant to Jack, and seemed to always be clutching a blue-skinned tablet to her chest. The Psion made her way over.

"Regan, good, I was going to find you this morning!" Dove looked down at the tablet, and swiped something off of a list. "Jack wants you to help one of the classes."

"Where's Amber?" Regan asked instead.

"Who?" Dove glanced back down at her tablet.

Regan stared at Dove's sweet, sunny face, unsure if the innocence was a lie. "The girl he pulled Alpha and Beta teams to pick up last night?"

"I don't have .. " Dove scrolled something on her screen, a tiny perfect frown on her face.

"Fire powers," Regan offered, sharply.

"Ah! Yes!" Dove beamed, and scroll-scroll-scrolled back up to the top of what she was looking at."Yes, yes. Jack's with her now."

Regan felt a wet twinge, but knew there was nothing more Dove would say about that. "Alright. What's this class?"

"Po requested you and a few others help one of the electives. The most effective way to throw a vehicle. Once that's done, you may return to Trennorville."

Regan nodded slowly. She had been wondering how long her "loan" would be. "Okay. When's the class?"

"Two-thirty! On the front lawn. They're bringing in a number of vehicles. Well, I'm sure you remember!" Dove said sweetly, touching Regan's arm. There was a crash at the center of the room, and a series of shrieks and laughs. "Oh -- oh no. No transforming other heroes! Regan, you must excuse me -- "

Regan left Dove to her flitting, giving one last sweeping look of the cafeteria, crawling with adolescent supers. Regan remembered her time there fondly, but with a note of caution. Things had changed since she was a product of this system.

Before she left, she swiped a small bog of Frosted Flakes from the cafeteria line. As she left the room, she peeled back the cardboard, the plastic, and shook the cereal directly into her mouth.

OOC: I think what I'll do is make a separate OOC thread that we can communicate in. I see now that having OOC in the IC thread can be very cluttering. :) I'll continue to have Sag act on your scene @aryamajor but if anyone else wants to join as the team coming in for backup, that'd be cool. I'll timeskip us @Fairner, if you want to write your own post and figure out what Oona would do to spend some time, that would be cool. I kinda imagined she'd be requested to be at the "How to Throw a Car" class as well.

Sag, still front & center in view of everyone, drew his bow as the screaming peaked. He pulled back a stun-shot and crouched, the clinking of the wheel mechanism in his bow a welcome salve to the commotion within. When the woman fell out into the street, Sag rose and lowered his weapon. And then in front of God and everyone she melted into goddamn chaff in the wind.

Over the buffet manager's terrified babble, the sound of dozens of police offers shifting was subtle, yet immense. Shifting meant pulling back slightly. Still there, still present. But maybe not leaning forward so much. Or maybe not with their cheeks pressed against their upper arms while sighting down their firearms. And they all looked to the man that the League of Heroes had decided was a "superhero" there to save the day.

I did not sign up for this, Sagitarre felt white-hot fear creep through him. He was thankful that the mask covered his entire face. He certainly looked impressive in full combat gear with leather reinforced accents.

The chief's dark comment gave Sag a prick of annoyance with its truth.

"Better me than you, man," Sag drew the stun-shot again, creeping towards the door still. He raised his voice, and addressed the sandy, dark, overturned depths of the restaurant. He tried not to think about himself as a pile of dirt. "Is anyone hurt inside? Is anyone alive?"

NEST HQ. Morning.

Although surrounded by a lifestyle of military precision when at the NEST campus, Regan still found herself making jagged risings. 6:43, 4:39. Her body would find a way to be restless before alarms would blare.

That morning, she was up before 7, heading out of the agent dorms across the grassy campus to the main hall where the young heroes gathered. Regan remembered the way well. This would be where Amber would be introduced to the other students living at NEST.

The cafeteria, which had been Regan's first stop, was bustling with activity. A pair of giggling girls zoomed past Regan, very nearly knocking her over, one in pigtails flying with pink energy, the other cross-legged mid-air with a scarf streaming behind her. The tables were full-up of the next generation of League heroes stuffing their faces before super training that day.

Against the wall was Dove, a small, thin woman in a white cardigan and light blue blouse. Regan always felt like she had to speak quietly to Dove, who had giant doe-eyes, was assistant to Jack, and seemed to always be clutching a blue-skinned tablet to her chest. The Psion made her way over.

"Regan, good, I was going to find you this morning!" Dove looked down at the tablet, and swiped something off of a list. "Jack wants you to help one of the classes."

"Where's Amber?" Regan asked instead.

"Who?" Dove glanced back down at her tablet.

Regan stared at Dove's sweet, sunny face, unsure if the innocence was a lie. "The girl he pulled Alpha and Beta teams to pick up last night?"

"I don't have .. " Dove scrolled something on her screen, a tiny perfect frown on her face.

"Fire powers," Regan offered, sharply.

"Ah! Yes!" Dove beamed, and scroll-scroll-scrolled back up to the top of what she was looking at."Yes, yes. Jack's with her now."

Regan felt a wet twinge, but knew there was nothing more Dove would say about that. "Alright. What's this class?"

"Po requested you and a few others help one of the electives. The most effective way to throw a vehicle. Once that's done, you may return to Trennorville."

Regan nodded slowly. She had been wondering how long her "loan" would be. "Okay. When's the class?"

"Two-thirty! On the front lawn. They're bringing in a number of vehicles. Well, I'm sure you remember!" Dove said sweetly, touching Regan's arm. There was a crash at the center of the room, and a series of shrieks and laughs. "Oh -- oh no. No transforming other heroes! Regan, you must excuse me -- "

Regan left Dove to her flitting, giving one last sweeping look of the cafeteria, crawling with adolescent supers. Regan remembered her time there fondly, but with a note of caution. Things had changed since she was a product of this system.

Before she left, she swiped a small bog of Frosted Flakes from the cafeteria line. As she left the room, she peeled back the cardboard, the plastic, and shook the cereal directly into her mouth.

"Is anyone hurt? Is anyone alive?"

"W-we're here! HERE! In the corner!" called a panicked man from inside, "Jesus Christ...we're alive! Get us the hell out-"

The man's plea was cut short by a sharp crash from the back of the restaurant. The blue lit fish tank near the back exploded sending a gush of water and a spray of colorful fish everywhere. Through the limited view of the doorway, Sag could see the fish flopping on the wooden floor and then fade away to sand along with the shards of glass from the tank too, making globby wet piles.

A stooped figure wearing an apron stumbled into view, shuffling weakly through the remnants of the fish tank. She was a petite woman whose long honey colored hair hid her face as she lurched forward clutching her head tightly.

"Not again...not again...no..no.." she gasped between sobs.

"Shoot!" The hidden survivor bellowed at Sag, "SHOOT HER!"

The terrified yelling made her look up to see two blurry figures as she clawed into her scalp. One, was huddled under an overturned table by the door, the other, a tall shadow holding something in the doorway. Something pointed at her.

A fresh streak of terror arched through her nerves. If she passed out she would be taken somewhere horrible. Another psych-ward maybe. Or worse.
The thought made her stomach turn over in knots as she tried to make her wobbly legs move.
The more she tried the more of the room began to shift. Sand started raining from furniture, the curtains, utensils and piling into the floor as the last of her adrenaline made her heart pound in her head.
"Please...dont..." she croaked at them, "Please..."

OOC: Hey gang. Here's the official OOC thread for the RP!

When the tank erupted, Sag jerked his sights to the left. He felt a fresh thrill of fear watching wriggling life become sand. If fish could scream ..

The interior of the restaurant was just wrong. The overturned tables and chairs toppled into mounds of sand made it seem like a Salvador Dali piece. When the woman staggered in, clutching at herself, Sag narrowed his eyes.

"SHOOT! SHOOT HER!"

Sagittare's number one priority was to get this civilian out. To do that safely, he needed to momentarily incapacitate the source of this curse. Sag loosed his arrow, a flash-stun at the feet of the woman in the apron. Before the bright flash opened in that small space, Sag had imprinted where the man was hiding, and threw himself to the side.

Sag rolled, seizing the man by the arm, and dragged him backwards, for the door. In those precious moments, Sag felt the drag of whatever magic was in the air, but pushed himself away.

When Sag collapsed backwards in the street, the gasping bystander with him, the police chief was the first to break rank and run forward, barking orders as well. Other officers dashed forward, collecting the man and bringing him back across the street to where it was safe .. for now.

Sag scrambled backwards, bow spilled onto the ground. He realized he was hands & knees in the pile of sand that had - moments ago - fallen, screaming, from the buffet just as he had. Sagittare bounced up, activating his wristlink.

"This is Sagittare to the League - request immediate and urgent backup. Situation with rogue super getting out of control. Last civilian evacuated, but situation not contained. I repeat - situation cannot be contained."

Sag huffed, backing away, picking up his bow. He considered firing an ice arrow to hole up the open door. Lock it up. Not the most "super" way to think, but this was all kinds of fucked up. I did NOT sign up for this ..

"League operations to Sagittare- your request for immediate back up is confirmed- be advised, assistance ETA is 10 minutes and 26 seconds," came the reply from the wrist link.

The police chief paled a little as he heard the reply from the League. Fuck, even the super seemed rattled. Now, he had to help hold off whatever was coming through that door. And he didn't have super powers to do it. The archer guy was right though, civilian safety came first. Wiping the sweat beaded on his forehead, he gripped his pistol a little tighter and looked to two his lieutenants.

"Hamilton! Pence!" he barked at the two of them, "Get a couple men and clear the rest of the civilians from the area. Block it off with the patrol cars and get some tape up. I want only emergency vehicles and personnel on this street!"

"Yessir!" They both replied before immediately starting their assigned task.

As the street emptied of onlookers at the orders of the chief, the restaurant itself had begun to creak. Sand was falling everywhere inside now and the woman who had caused it all was stumbling around in and out of view through the door. Her vision was spotted from the sudden flash. Her ears rang, blocking out all other sound. Growing mounds of sand were everywhere. This place was going to collapse she knew. She could feel every grain of carbonized sand, every molecule as it fell apart. She never thought suppressing her powers for so long would result in this...fucked up mess.

Shuffling toward the door, her shaking legs gave from exhaustion and she fell against the frame half panting and half crying from the effort. She still couldn't see much but the blue and red flashes of light filling her eyes told her enough. Cuffs...cold rooms...and white pills. The images flickered in her mind and a sob escaped her, causing the remaining windows of the store front to explode. Shards of glass littered over the pavement and crumbled.

The police chief and surrounding officers held up their guns, training them on the young woman crying in the door. Even from 10ft away the tug of whatever power she had was pulling at them now. A ripple of unsteadiness washed over the police and even Sag felt the urge to back away.

"This is Chief Rowlings from the Liberty City Police Department," the chief said firmly as he could, "You are surrounded. Lay on the ground with your hands behind your head and you will not be harmed."

The words echoed in her aching ears and she shook her head. The door frame groaned as started falling apart under her weight. Not harmed...yeah...right...

"Lay down with your hands behind your head!" the chief barked again, "Or we will use the force necessary to take you into custody."

She knew it wouldn't be long before the whole building was gone. Maybe she could escape in the confusion? And go...where? She'd have to start all over again if she managed to get away. "No...no ...no.." the mumbles left her lips over and over.

The chief nodded at his officers and all of them clicked the hammers back on their weapons. He looked to Sag as his officers waited nervously for the order. "Super if you're going to do something, now's the-"

"-Time to do it. Yes," interrupted a cold voice from behind them. They turn to see a man in a black three piece suit and wearing a simple black mask that covered most of his face He carried a plain black leather brief case, gripped firmly in his gloved hands. The police chief stared over the casual looking newcomer in confusion.

"Some of us have day jobs," the man commented with a shrug as he walked over to Sag. He surveyed the other League member with mild interest. Other Leaguers could be a help or a hindrance. Most of the time he found it was the latter. "You requested back up. I'm Element. Let's wrap this up quickly shall we."

Without even waiting for Sag to reply, Element sat his briefcase down next to his feet before widening his stance. He could see the target in the door way, barely able to stay on her feet With a jerk of his fist, the fire hydrant nearby blew apart causing a geyser of water to rocket into the air. Opening his palms now, he forced the water to form into a wall and pushed it forward, pummeling into the woman. The water hit her with such force it knocked her off her feet and back into the restaurant. Element showed no concern as he took a deep breath and walked toward door. Sag watched as the water began to freeze on its own, trapping the woman in a gritty brick of ice. Only her head remained free, lolled half conscious to the side of her prison.

"Interesting," Element remarked to Sag with a raised brow, "If you have any tasers available, I recommend knocking her out completely until we haul her back to League base."

Last edited:
Back