Mechs Anyone?

Gattletowne

The Crowned Light of Midday Night
I'm putting feelers out for anyone who might be interested in a mech RP. I'm not necessarily a fan of Gundam or any other mech anime, so that's not what I'm really going for, I'm thinking more like giant robot tanks in some sort of general science fiction backdrop. Space is fine to, but I'm looking more for dark and gritty rather than melodramatic and anime.

Sir you have now made yourself a new friend. I got a sci-fi faction that would fit in perfectly with what you're suggesting.

What kinda mechs you talkin' here?
Mechwarrior mechs, warhammer40k titans, or something like SVs from Phantom Crash?

I'm an anime fan, but not necessarily a mech anime fan, so those references are a bit over my head. I'm thinking like walking tanks, not particularly agile. Again space is fine if that's the backdrop we'd like, but I'm open to suggestions. And again this is more an interest thread. Nothing solid yet.

My inspiration is an Actual-play podcast called Friends at the Table if anyone knows that reference. They have a campaign called Weight/Counter Weight that is a Mech/Noir game. I'm not interested in the systems aspect, but a space opera with giant ass-kicking robots is appealing to me

Well I got an idea that the story follows a squad of mechs as they arrive at a Toxic World in order to destroy a research facility that is building Weapons of Planetary Destruction (WPD)

None of the things I referenced were anime sources. Hell, only one of them was even from Japan at all.

None of the things I referenced were anime sources. Hell, only one of them was even from Japan at all.

Clearly that shows you my expertise in the field. :D I know that Warhammer is a PC franschise, maybe an MMO? I'm a gamer but I stick to consoles. I have no idea what Phantom Crash is for sure. Give me an idea and I'll let you know if that's what I'm going for. I'm a guy that's into narrative more than systems based RPs. I'm going for themes and story beats rather than stats-heavy stuff.

I'm also not at all a hard Sci-fi guy. I hand wave almost everything. I stick to logic as much as possible, but this is more like space-fantasy with giant fun robots.

Warhammer is primarily a tabletop wargame, set in a fantasy setting. Warhammer 40k is the far future sci-fi counterpart. Mechwarrior is a PC-based sci-fi mech conbat sumilator. And Phantom Crash is a game for the console, focused on fast mech-based combat

Warhammer is primarily a tabletop wargame, set in a fantasy setting. Warhammer 40k is the far future sci-fi counterpart. Mechwarrior is a PC-based sci-fi mech conbat sumilator. And Phantom Crash is a game for the console, focused on fast mech-based combat

Right on. Even in console gaming I've never really play much mech stuff. My approach to GMing, though, is for the participants to add to the overall world creation as much as they want to, within some minor parameters. Pitch me ideas, systems, your vision of how you like your mechs. This isn't even an official RP yet, I'd like there to be one or two more interested, but it's totally open ended

@ChelonianCommander @Axl Ive only recently become interested in this genre and entirely because of the podcast I referenced. If this genre is something you're passionate about, then drop some knowledge on me. My strengths are story beats, narrative, and all the creative bits. I'm good at histories, lore, philosposphies, political struggle, and the like. The mechs are a foil to explore the human struggle in a different context. I'm not much of a systems guy. That shit makes my head hurt, and if one of you (or both) want to take up that mantle and be the mech-spert, then take up that cause. But if my inexperience with the genre puts you off, then I understand.

The mechs are a foil to explore the human struggle in a different context. I'm not much of a systems guy. That shit makes my head hurt, and if one of you (or both) want to take up that mantle and be the mech-spert, then take up that cause.

Don't know what that means but if it means can I make overly detailed backgrounds and societies around what is essentially a giant terminator with guns for hands, then I'm your guy.

Don't know what that means but if it means can I make overly detailed backgrounds and societies around what is essentially a giant terminator with guns for hands, then I'm your guy.

Yeah, more or less. Like I said, fantasy set in the future with giant ass, fun robots that fuck shit up. And all the neat stories that go along with it.

You had me at giant. My two years of making a feudal society based on machine worship has finally paid off. First things first though, what universe do you want this to be?

Like do you want this universe to rather realistic or do you want this universe just to be grim dark and morally grey and can be rather insane when it wants to be?

I'm thinking dirty and dark. Dystopian, like society gone wrong. There's no real good and evil, everyone is just trying to get along as best they can. And we happen to have giant robots. How did we get them, are we military, mercenaries, or rebels that rebuilt older models piece by piece? I don't know yet. Like I said, I'm just tossing this idea around. If you're really into the idea, we can use this thread to bat some ideas around and get the basis for basic RP so we can get more interest once we flesh some ideas out. I love world-building, so I'm in just for that if nothing else.

You had me at giant. My two years of making a feudal society based on machine worship has finally paid off. First things first though, what universe do you want this to be?

The machine worship thing is kind of a great idea. In the podcast I mentioned, there are smaller mechs that are mostly military and industrial equipment that are 15-20 feet tall. But there are also mechs called divines that are enormous and super-powerful. They are more or less gods of the galaxy. I really like that idea. Maybe not exactly how I just described it for our thing here, but the machine worship thing is a cool idea for sure

Well if you're interested I actually got a universe kind of like that already. The two primary human factions built mechs for different reasons, the first The Steel Houses, originally built their mechs, known as Warlords, to help them win a thousand year long war against a species called the Volkites, and eventually began worshiping the Warlords as gods. As I stated before, just think of the Steel Houses as basically what would happen if you give Feudal Lords giant mechs and tell them 'this is your god now. Go play.' The second, the Galactic Dominion have their own mechs called Colossi, originally built to rebellions and riots but have been modified to combat the Steel House Mechs, due to the fact the only thing at the time that can pretty much kill a Warlord is a another, a shit ton of tanks or nukes.

The two factions aren't good the good guys by a mile. The Galactic Dominion's senate is easily corrupt, expansionists who aren't afraid of using underhanded and shady tactics to get what they want. However they aren't the bad guys either as most of the population of the Galactic Dominion are rather content with high amounts of domestic technology and they're rather accepting to all species who want to join their cause.

The Steel House are xenophobic to the extreme, and when they go to war, they will have no quarrels of committing genocide against alien controlled and human controlled planets alike, literally killing men, women and children by the tens of billions. However the Steel House follow have a code of honor and to some are considered 'modern' day knights in shining armor. They're rather content with just being left to their own accords and often times hire out their services to the Galactic Dominion for a high amount of resources and Standards.

The two factions treat their mechs in very different manner. The Steel Houses use their Warlords as one would use a tank. It's big, its heavy, it packs a lot of firepower and you want to use it as a sledgehammer once the infantry thins out the enemy ranks. The Galactic Dominion treat their Colossi as a bit more disposible as they're mass producing and pumping out pilots like Consoles so there are several million of them within the Dominion. The Colossi primarily are built to be jack of all trades, as they;re built to be agile and quick for surgical strikes, while at the same time they durable and powerful enough to be used as Shock units, but their lack of armor means they're rather vulnerable to anti-tank weaponry such as missiles or AT guns, meaning you would see Colossi in squads so the sight of several Colossi at once might cause an enemy to panic and retreat.

I'm super into this idea, though clearly I think you should GM since it's you're well though out vision. I'm down if you want to formally post an RP.

Back