Memorable Soundtracks in Games

Yui

One of things I try to look for in a game in a good soundtrack. While most people I know don't really care for that, in my opinion it makes a good game even better. Some examples of good games with good soundtracks are:

Kirby - I grew up with Nintendo and Kirby is my all-time favorite franchise by them. There is not a single theme in any of the games that I don't know the name of. While some of them I like and others I don't, I can't really say that I hate them. They set the right tone for each level and environment in the games and for some reason feel the need to always make the final boss theme the best thing you'll ever hear in a game series directed to kids.
Nier: Automata - I don't even think I'm that far in the game yet, and the music has already made it the best thing ever and I love the game more then I already do and, like Kirby, each theme matches the tone of each environment. Just listen to the amusement park boss theme and you'll understand.
Pokémon - ...I really don't know why, I just like it.
Lanota - Would this be cheating a little since it's a rhythm game? Well all the music is original and not songs you can put in so maybe not. Anyway, the songs in this game are just beautiful and hands down the best soundtrack I've heard in a video game.

There's my favorites, but what about yours. List your most favorite video game soundtracks if you're interested

Heroes of might and Magic 3 and Chrono trigger come to mind, but I'm also quite fond of Elder Scrolls, Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts music (Though I don't usually care for the last two game series, myself.) I have been listening to Chrono trigger songs especially lately.

Elder Scrolls 4, Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines and some others...
Oh! And Papers, Please.

Zelda. Definitely Zelda! Love it so much! It always impresses me how a video game's soundtrack can be better than a movie or regular soundtrack... XD

[Seconding you, shadowkat, Undertale and Chrono Trigger have simply amazing music. Dissidia 012 Duodecim had some pretty catchy tracks, which is to be expected on account of basically fishing out the most recognizable tracks from FFI-FFXIII, though one of the best, IMO, is actually 'Cantata Mortis and God In Fire.']

There's a game called 'Crypt of the NecroDancer' that's all about music.
It has, in my opinion, one of the best soundtracks for a game to have. It's filled to the brim with fast beats and an upbeat rhythm. I'd recommend absolutely everyone here to give the soundtrack a listen, it's amazing!

Kirby games yes!!! Also really rad soundtracks are pretty much the basis of Crypt of the NecroDancer .

but really, the most memorable (but obviously not the best) would be this

it haunts me, HAUNTS ME I TELL YA

Necrofantasia (Touhou projec: perfect cherry blossom)
Kobito of the shining needle ~little princess~ (Touhou project: double dealing character)
Native faith (Touhou project: Mountain of faith)
Broken moon (Touhou project: scarlet weather rhapsody)

Oh oh oh!
Definitly the entirity of The Last of Us and the soundtrack of the first and second Mass Effect games. Awesome music!

Oh my god just pop in some Silent Hill or Final Fantasy! I genrally really love the Dot Hack OST a lot too! (Terror of Death from GU is my personal theme basically!)

Shadow of the Colossus. For a game about slaying massive stone and fur giants, it envelopes you with a blanket of silence or ambient noise until you reach the next colossus. It then throws an orchestral masterpiece at you while you battle the giants, and not a single track in the game feels out of place or poorly made. They knew exactly what they were doing with the audio in that game.

This is going to be nominated towards...

The Wolven Storm - Witcher 3 ( So.. So.. good...) #1

It was not only orginal but the way they weaved the song into the narrative of the game was a complete work of shear art and drama. You basically heard the struggles of Geralt and if you were playing the game long enough, you felt the burden and hardship he probably had to endure from the darkness of Velen --- just in his attempts to find Yennifer of Vanderberg ( My only digital crush!) It was very medieval and fantasy sounding with a suprising singer's voice from the character's voice actor. Beautifully done scene. I think I even had a special save for the part just to re-watch it. The song even made the grand inquisitor stop and watch beind the glass window in the rain. I think I could write a pretty good essay about the whole thing but to actully play the game up to that point was just one of many great events in what must have been the #1 RPG I've ever played.

Honorable Mention:

The End Run - Mass Effect 2
Venice Tops - Assassins Creed 2
Earth - Assassins Creed 2
Zero - Ace Combat Zero
Liberation of Gracemeria - Ace Combat 6
Roof Tops - Call of Duty: Black Ops
Vigil - Mass Effect ( So Sad..)
Peace of Akotosh - Oblivion ( The Elder Scrolls)
Lelilanna's Song ( Dragon Age)
Main theme - ( Dragon Age II)
Fallout 3 ( Main Theme)
Fallout 4 ( Main Theme)
Star Wars Force Unleashed ( Main Theme)
Bauldur's Gate ( Console Version) Elf Song Tavern
Storm Cloaks - Skyrim
Leaving Earth ( Mass Effect 3... so sad..)

@Angry Doodles I second NecroDancer! A really, really innovative concept for a game, combined with great soundtrack! The extended soundtrack is really great as well.

Another memorable sountrack, I think, would be the level soundtracks from Binding of Isaac. You can play the game for hours and never get sick of it. I really love Sacrificial (the first basement theme)

Another great one is pretty much all the music from VVVVVV. Favorite one is Positive Force (The Tower Theme)

Last edited:
One of the best game soundtracks is definitely undertale, the soundtrack for undertale is just amazing
I agree with this wholeheartedly!

Also! I really love the Professor Layton franchise and all the main themes from it are so wonderfully orchestrated and lovely. The rest of the music is also good, though! Puzzling theme is a bit repetitive though.

For me though, all soundtracks are really memorable and likable. I fall for the music from any game I like.

Monster Hunter. Just about anything from it except Khezu cuz it ain't got nothin. Just silence. How am I supposed to get pumped to bash your skull in if all I hear is the weird roars and stuff with no music?

A lot of people have already mentioned some of my favorite soundtracks:

The last of Us
FF7 and 9, most of the sung songs on 10, and Eyes on Me from 8.
Silent Hill, and a very specific one for the song "Soldier's Orders"
Metal Gear Solid, can't forget about Snake Eater, such a great theme.
Bioshock Infinite has some great songs, especially some of those combat themes.
Assassin's Creed: Black Flag. Mostly for those sea shanties. I could sail on the sea for hours just listening to the crew sing those songs.

I know there's a lot more I can list, but I'll end it here.

Some of my fave game OSTs:
Kingdom Hearts
Sims 3 (it just makes me happy, mkae? X3)
Undertale, which I see others have already mentioned, yeye (I have never played Undertale in my life tho)
Destiny (especially when you're in orbit)
Minecraft

Oh gosh, I'm a sap for video game soundtracks. <3 I'll list a few of my personal favorite ones.

Kingdom Hearts
Dark Cloud
Undertale
Pokemon Sun/Moon
Final Fantasy X
Persona 5
Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town

Just a few off the top of my head. lol

Back