Mental Health: should it be ignored in rps?

Such a wide swathe of ideas and character traits are tied to mental health, it ruins the depth and dimension of writing to restrict it. If you depict something incorrectly, it doesn't matter, and exploring it can help someone who's unaware build understanding through empathy. It's not a reflection of reality, and there's no intent for offense; those that would silence such writing are wrong to do so.

Golden rule; if all parties involved are consenting, it's fine. If you're an observer in a digital space, you aren't involved.

*This post is going to talk about sensitive subjects that should not be taken lightly in a serious discussion. If you are easily triggered by mention of traumatic experiences, then you should stop reading now.

I don't think that's possible. I'm going to work off of the most basic definition of mental health which is "a person’s condition with regard to their psychological and emotional well-being." Creating a character with no regard to mental health would result in something less than a cardboard cutout. A person's mental health is not only defined by the traumatic moments in our lives but by the joy, as well. You can't address a character's passion for a certain subject without also considering their mental health. Whether someone is a pacifist or believes that might is right is tied into their mental health.

Take PTSD, for example. Even today with all of the knowledge and understanding that is out there concerning PTSD, I've known people who seem to think that you can't suffer from it unless you've been to war. But anybody who has had a sufficiently traumatic experience such as being witness to a suicide, killing someone, surviving assault and rape (etc) could potentially suffer from PTSD.

But since PTSD is so often associated with war veterans, let's use that as an example. Could you imagine building a character, a soldier, who has survived the horrors of war without ever addressing their mental health? It's simply not possible. Sure, you could argue that maybe they escaped with a healthy mentality. But how true do you think that is of most soldiers? Are you telling me that he doesn't have any friends from the war who have problems? Are we just going to ignore them and act like their experiences wouldn't affect him in some small way? Because even the mental health of our friends and family can affect our own mental health.

Maybe your character doesn't have any friends from the war. Maybe they all died. Do you still expect me to believe that your soldier has zero carryover from that? Am I to believe that he left a hellish warzone with zero friends left and it hasn't impacted his mental health in the slightest? That's inconceivable.

So no, I don't think mental health should be ignored in role plays because I don't think it can be without creating an uneventful world full of one-dimensional characters. However, mental health should be approached with a certain amount of care and reverence. If we plan on portraying a character with a mental health disorder, then we should dedicate some time to learning about that disorder. And if we suffer from that disorder ourselves, then we should still take the time to learn about how it affects other people because my PTSD is not Susan's PTSD and her PTSD is not yours. This goes for many other mental health disorders such as depression and schizophrenia which can manifest differently in different people.

I'm not saying that one needs to have a degree in psychology to accurately depict these characters, just that I'd like to see that they took the care and time to understand them at least a little bit. I also believe that this is more important for authors than it is for role players because among role players, some people just want to play a character and have some fun and they shouldn't be beholden to hours of research for something that is nothing more than a fun hobby.

Walk with care and write with care. Let the people around you encourage what you write but never let them tell you what not to write.

as a person with a few mental disorders beneath my belt and some time expressing and writing as characters with these traits ive recently had some thoughts;
what if it was just better if no one had problems?
does it make a role play better if everyone reacts the same way? or with only slight variations?
does it make a role play better if the blotchy parts of human existence are erased?

sure there are movements going forth through social advocates to get more light on something that people have been hiding away for centuries, it is still taboo. especially with how twisted Hollywood has made disorders appear to the average person.
but should we bring that darkness into a role play. should OCD, ADHD, MDD, or PTSD be actual problems that characters deal and cope with?
should the trauma of a character's background have a name?

The first paragraph is silly below is why I find it objectively so.

From the earliest cave paintings to every medium of art flouts those ideas hardcore. Conflict is inherent, not just in humanity but in every facet of the cosmos. Evolution, science, theology, philosophy all reflect ambivalence and in many regards its necessity for progress. It makes sense that our entertainment and art would mirror such an incontestable certitude of our existence. A plight that every organism shares. Be it war, murder, drama, or relationships struggles. It is what draws us, for it is relatable. A dearth of it and we will invariably find it dull. Perfection/utter harmony is a fantasy derived by those incapable of seeing the world around them. And reacting the same way stifles creativity and diversity. Which can be a cause of friction, sure. But also disseminates with it a myriad of ideas. What you're suggesting is stagnation.

Now to the second paragraph.

Mental health is still very new to us. It is filled with antiquated beliefs that have stuck culturally. How you eliminate them isn't by avoiding them or whining. You write it how it is, and thus educate the populace while bringing awareness to the disorders. Refusing to do so will only allow ignorance to further fester.

Back