Midnight Sun

Artem looked at him and rose her brow, "What are you looking for? And what do you mean we?" Ki watched and got a little closer to the pair and fluttered by to sit on Saifu's shoulder. "He means we as in me too, I helped." Artem glanced at Ki and then Saifu, "Did she actually help me? Were you both just standing there watching her the whole time."

Ki waved at Artem but made no movement to get closer, Artem looked at him then to the winged annoyance and huffed. "Then thank you little pest, for helping me. Now if you'll excuse me I have to wash the blood off myself." She didn't really look at the pair again a little disappointed that she had gotten help, "Saifu I think it's best if this time you just stay here and wait. I'm afraid if you run off again you'll probably end up dead." Artem had her back to him as she spoke and gathered her clothes but jerked her head to motion for Saifu to follow, she assumed the annoying little bug would follow but she was much too tired to protest since saifu seemed adamant about her not killing the thing. Ki frowned when she was called a pest and gave a small humph in response crossing her arms and sitting on saifu' shoulders. "She is infuriating. Stupid fox."

"She is not," Saifu poked at Ki with his finger. He stood and trailed after Artem. "She just dislikes petty tricks and has a hard time forgiving."

Ki pouted and sighed, "Stubborn foxes, they are the real tricksters." Ki kept her arms crossed and looked at the fox girl, irritating she thought. Artem stopped at another clearing before sitting her stuff down on the ground. "Wait here I will be back." Artem turned away from them and walked around the trees to the lake clearing.

He plopped down beside the stuff and pulled out a leaf to munch on. It had a peppery flavor to it. Like peppery honey. He waited for Artem to return.

Artem returned, she didn't bother braiding her hair so it hung loosely around her shoulders. "Let's go." She looked at them and grabbed the bags, Glancing at Ki she didn't speak to her, she was only slightly ashamed she had gotten help from such an annoying being such as her. Ki tugged on Saifu's shirt, "I'm coming too. In case you need help." Ki smiled at him and flew off his shoulder to grab a small bag a bit away from them made for leaves, she placed it on her back before flying back to Saifu's shoulder. "This will be fun. Now we're heading right to the wolves. I love them!"

"Y-you've got to be crazy," He mumbled under his breath. Wolves? As if kitsune, vampires, and pixies weren't enough already; now there were wolves! It almost made him wish he'd never agreed to this venture in the first place.

Saifu trailed behind Artem in silence. At least they were all alive. That was a plus.

Ki chuckled, "The wolves are very friendly, the walk around like humans most times. Very family-oriented, The foxes and them are like cousins in a way." Ki hummed as they walked and Artem was silent, she was thinking of what to do once they reached the elves. Of course, saifu had t go home, but she wasn't even sure if he actually wanted to. Plus to send him back home with him not valuing his own life, he could die almost as soon as he arrived there.

"How long until we're there?" Saifu asked Artem, slightly worried by what she might have been thinking of. She wasn't quite the same as she had been, and he wondered why.

Artem looked back at him, "It's about a week's trip from here to the wolves forest." She turned back to face the path they were walking, she needed to hunt they were low on food. At least she was, she was sure that Saifu and the pixie would survive fine on their own. Running a hand through her hair she sighed, She still needed a game plan, she was getting weak. Soft-hearted and kind, like her brothers and father. But they were men they had natural strength. What did she have? Her thoughts were running amuck in her head so much she ran into a tree.

Artem stumbled and landed on her rear, she rubbed her face before looking at Saifu. "I'm fine, I suppose I was just a bit....distracted." Artem shifted her glance away from Saifu and pulled herself up fixing the bag on her shoulder, "Let's keep going. We have to find a good place to set up camp for the night, and given what happened early this area is not in our favor." Sighing she turned back away from them and kept walking, this time trying not to let her thoughts dictate her sense of direction.

Artem scoffed and shook her head, "For what possible reason would You have to worry about me? I'm perfectly fine, running into a tree was merely an accident. I don't find that any reason to worry." Ki was luckily sleeping soundly on Saifu's shoulder, so their conversation fell deaf to her ears. Artem stretched and continued to walk. Saifu worrying about her, she was fine. A little overthinking yes, maybe a little worried about her future once he left but nothing that should cause worry she was healthy and could still hold up a fight.

Saifu didn't reply to that, simply falling into silence. It wasn't like her to be so unattuned to the world, not that she couldn't handle herself. He'd seen her sacrifice a lot of things for him, and he was concerned it was taking a toll. Or perhaps there was something else to it that he wasn't aware of. None of the plants in the area posed any threat, as far as he was concerned. Saifu snatched a couple of mint stalks from a patch and nibbled on them.

After that's the walk was silent for what passed as hours. Artemis soon found a clearing she thought would be fine for the night. She placed the bags down and looked at Saifu. "I am going to gather wood. Before you decide to run off just wait for me to return and yell if you need help." Artemis looked at him before turning away to walk off to get firewood. Of course her mind was still racing but hopefully she could find some wood and clear her head. Ki was still resting soundly on Saifus shoulder. Using as much magic as she had in the last two days had thoroughly worn her out.

He gingerly took the pixie off his shoulder and set her on the leafy ground, setting himself down next to her. Saifu munched on another mint stalk and its leaves, waiting patiently.

Artem gathered wood and returned after what seemed like a while. She sat the wood down and started the fire before laying the blankets down to sleep. She didn't bother pulling out meat to eat because she knew she needed to conserve, not to mention she couldn't hunt this late at night and leave Saifu alone. She laid on the ground and pulled the blanket over herself, maybe if she slept she could avoid thinking.

Back