Midnight Sun

Artem looked at him reluctantly but sighed, "Fine. But, if you need my help. Yell." She started removing the weapons from her boot sitting them near the water and waited for him to leave before climbing into the water. Ki watched Saifu walk away from her and smiled. She popped out from behind a tree, "HI!"

He jumped at her sudden appearance, caught off-guard, and landed on his bottom, heart racing and eyes wide. It took a moment to realize it was Ki, and even longer for him to calm down. Saifu pulled himself back up and brushed himself off, then continued to walk away. "Don't startle me like that, please," the boy begged her.

Ki snickered and followed the boy, "Apologies friend. I just thought it would be a nice surprise." She tilted her head and sped up her flying to catch up with him, "Where re you going? Your kitsune is by the lake, why would you wander away?" Ki thought about it for a moment, trying to come to a conclusion.

"I thought I saw a certain type of bush while we were walking...." Saifu dodged the question. "I was planning to collect some of its stems."

"Oh, bushes!" Ki spoke delighted as though she knew what he was talking about, "What bush?" Ki fluttered around confused, but, continued to follow him. "Do you use the stems for potions? Like-like with magic!" Ki looked at him excitedly, of course, pixie had magic but it was more for tricks than anything else.

"Y-yeah, kinda...." How was he supposed to explain...? "I can use them for... "potions," but mostly the plant does what it does if you eat it or rub it on something. Like... like this one," Saifu paused and knelt down beside a flat-leafed grass-bush. "Chew on it, then place the wad on a wound, and it relieves stinging pain. Doesn't taste very good, but it works."

Ki looked at him curiously and listened to his expiration, "Do you expect to sustain a lot of injuries on this trip?" She picked up a leaf an examined it, "How do you know so much about these plants? Do you also live in the forest?" She peered at him before sticking her tongue out to lick the leaf. Finding it distasteful she scrunched up her face and threw the leaf to the side.

"I would hope not...." The image of Artem after she returned to the bedroom that night, weak from blood loss, made him shiver. "I've been a herbalist for quite a while. I know about all sorts of plants."

Ki watched his reaction but didn't make a comment on it. "That's...interesting. But, why did you pick up such a unique...ability?" Ki fluttered around him and picked up various berries until she heard the distant sound. "Do you..do you hear that?" Ki fluttered towards the direction of the lake, a faint sound of fighting could be heard.

Saifu listened. He could hear it. Snatching a few of the flat leaves and stuffing them into his pocket, he followed after Ki back towards the lake.

When they arrived to the lake they could see Artem fighting a snake-like creature, she had managed t get her sort on which thankfully covered her body as it was too large for her. Her hair was wet and she had her sword trying to fight the beast off. Ki looked at Saifu curiously, "Are you going to help her?" Artem was struggling between trying not to trip over the grass with her bare feet and killing this wild beast before it ate her and their belongings.

"N-n-nope," He admitted. There wasn't much he could do... except maybe bolt. Saifu wanted to be of some assistance, but every bone in his body locked into place. Even if he wanted to yell and draw the creature away, there was no possible way he could've done it.

Ki only frowned slightly before offering, "Would you prefer that I help her? Is she important enough to save? Or should we let her fight this out on her own?" Ki tilted her head looking between him and the vicious snake-beast fighting the kitsune girl, she was curious and had no inclination herself to help the girl that seriously wanted her dead. But, if Saifu had requested she would help the best she can.

Ki looked at the boy and sighed before nodding and flying towards the scene. Ki flew in from of the beast and cast a spell which gave of a glittering look. It was enough to distract the beast. Artem swung her sword and Sliced the serpent, hard enough to kill it. Artem huffed and dropped her sword before leaning against a tree. She slid down the tree and ran a hand through her hair. "I hope Saifu didn't get attacked."

There was a stumbling crash behind her, and Saifu stood up again to brush himself off. He had been coming to make sure she was alright, but had tripped. Typical of him while he was still stiff from fear.

Artem's head flew up and she held her sword ready to attack. Seeing that it was only Saifu she let out a relieved breath and lowered her weapon. "Thank goodness, you're aright." She smiled and ran a hand through her hair once more. She sighed leaning her head back against the bark of the tree, "I was almost worried you got attacked, I don't think i'd be able to fight that beast And another." She closed her eyes and laid her sword down. She was tired, exhausted even.

He sat down beside her, glancing around but not quite sure where Ki had gone. "I'm f-fine. Are y-you okay?" Saifu stuttered to ask.

"Y-yea. I'm just...I'm just tired. It caught me off guard and took me a minute to Arab my sword from the shore." Artem shrugged and kept her eyes closed leaving her head leaning against the tree. "Did you find the stuff you wanted?" She opened one eye peeking at him. Ki had fluttered off watching fro afar, she didn't understand why the boy hadn't helped her, just as she didn't understand why he was with the killer kitsune.

"I... uhm... n-no.... Not exactly." He seemed distracted, not able to spot Ki. "W-we heard your scream and came running."

Back