Midnight Sun

Saifu lifted his head, then rolled halfway to look at her. Through the haze of being half-asleep, he was trying to figure out why she had woken him and who she even was. Realization came all too quickly, and the boy jerked himself into a sitting position, rubbing at his face with the heels of his hands. He hadn't been dreaming? Oh how deeply he wanted to go back to sleep and forget; he really had been kidnapped by kitsune.

Artem quickly pulled her hand back and looked at him before pacing the clothes beside him. "Those are your clothes for the journey, go change so we may leave quickly." She wasn't going to make comment on her touching his hair nor that he seemed to be in shock that he was here. She only hoped he hurried, the faster she left the less time she'd have to deal with her family and the faster she could rid herself of this child.

He nodded, taking the clothes and disappearing into the bathroom to change.
Saifu slipped into the clothes quickly, finding them a tad large on his skinny frame, but it wasn't too much worse for wear. The boy folded what he had removed and carried it out into the bedroom again.

((I'm trying to figure out how to post an image I took of a doodle I made....))

((It won't let you do it in these threads for some reason so you can send it in the inbox))

"Leave them on the bed, and follow me." She stepped outside the room and began walking, rather than the normal way they had been taking once the reached the bottom of the stairs she turned to take the servants door that lead to the forest. Walking outside she waited for him, and once he was behind her she started walking.

He trailed after in silence, uncomfortable in her presence. Saifu wanted to ask how long this journey would last, but he wasn't sure of her temperament and would rather not infuriate her.
Crunch, crunch, crunch. Every step was slow and methodical. His feet made more noise than hers did, and he still lacked shoes. Wearing shoes was strange enough, though the terrain of leafy greens was much different than what he was used to. It was rougher.

Kezia frowned, every step the boy took made a sound. "Do you just choose not to be quiet? If we were trying to hunt all the animals would be gone before we even saw them with how loud you step." She huffed and turned around to face him flustered. She looked him up and down before staring at his feet. A small part of her felt bad, but the majority of her brain was to busy cursing him. Sighing she dropped the bag and dg around until she found a pair of boots that matched hers. "Here."

Saifu paused in his tracks at her words, tucking one foot behind the other and adverting his gaze. "I'm sorry," he mumbled. "I don't mean to be a bother, but there's not much I can do." The boy watched intently as she dug through her bag. "I don't think those boots would make me any quieter, either." The last thing he wanted was to be a burden to her. It wasn't in his nature.

Artem sighed, "Take them, you'll be no use on this trip if your feet bleed and I have to carry you. It will lessen the noise your feet make, these are made for hunting in my country." Moving towards him Artem shoved the boots in his arms before turning back and picking up the bag. "Don't argue with me either and just put them on, or would you rather I do it for you?" She flashed her sharp canines before leaning against a tree waiting for him to finish putting the shoes on.

He stared fearfully at her for a moment before plopping down on the earth and wiggling his feet into the boots. Admittedly, he'd never had to tie shoes before, but it turned out he could create a fairly decent knot. They fit perfectly otherwise.

Once he had the shoes on she pushed herself off the tree and held her hand out to him, "Come on, we need to get a lot further before we set up a camp for the night." She waited for him to take her hand before turning and walking again. After what seemed like forever it had started to grow dark, she was hungry and she knew the oy was probably starving if not tired. stopping abruptly she dropped the bag and looked at him, her eyes glowed in the night light. "We set up camp here. help me sort everything"

Saifu took her hand and pulled himself up.

Surprisingly, he wasn't very hungry at all. Throughout the day, he had been munching on various leafy things he found. The boy knew his herbs well; it kept him occupied, at the least.

Saifu collapsed onto the ground beside her bag and exhaled. He was shivering again; he felt cold. "What are we sorting?"

"Supplies. Are you hungry, I had the maid pack some vegetables for you since that's all you seem to eat. And I need to set the fire, so you will set the blankets out to sleep." She had noticed him shivering so she supposed this would be easier especially since she doubted her could gather firewood, She threw the blankets at him and stood, "I will gather firewood if you are concerned for your safety just know you are safe." She turned and walked into the forest in search of firewood. After about 30 minutes she came back placing them in a pile on the ground.

He caught the blankets, though in a clumsy way in which they unfolded all over him. When he finally removed them, she was gone.

Upon her return, the blankets were set up rather tidily and other items were laid out in neat order, though the boy wasn't anywhere nearby. No sign of an attack, more like he simply wandered off. Purposefully wandered off.... Fortunately, he wasn't too far away, and he would return soon enough if she were patient.

Artem looked around the campsite, he ran. She took a deep breath before sitting on a nearby log she had moved in front of the wood she brought. Frowning she decided to wait for a little bit, maybe he just needed to pee. She started the fire and laid her sword next to her in case of danger pulling out a piece of meat from the bag. There she just ate and sat by the fire.

The boy smelled smoke. Artem must have returned. Saifu guessed she'd be mad at him, which was unfortunate, but there wasn't much he could do to help it. Adjusting his makeshift basket (which was his shirt) he made his way back into camp, setting himself down across from her without a word.

Artem looked up when he sat down, he was shirtless carrying something in his shirt. "Why did you leave? And what did you bring?" She had softened her tone, she figured yelling at him wouldn't make much of a difference at this point. It had only scared him off in the beginning so there was no reason to give herself the headache, she was relieved she didn't have to chase him down. Though she tried not to let it show she was in fact exhausted.

"I left to gather and I brought back what I found," He answered simply. Saifu offered what he had to her; a mixture of leafy greens, some nuts, and a handful of berries he was lucky enough to stumble across. There were other odds and ends, such as the occasional leaf, but that was the minority. "Good stuff, if you want some. Those needle-y ones make for nice tea."

Artem sighed and ran a hand through her hair, "I thought you tried to run." She frowned before looking at the stuff he gathered, "I told you we already had supplies, if you were hungry there is food here. I also told you not to leave." She grumbled and threw the bone that was left of the meat to the ground. She was trying to keep her temper under control. She just huffed and laid on the pallet he laid out covering herself after removing her boots.

"Never hurts to have something extra, Princess." There wasn't malice to his tone. "Unlike you, I have been hungry before." Saifu was annoyed by her comment on him running, but more because she was right than anything. The boy couldn't figure out how to undo the knots on his boots and gave up trying to remove them.

Last edited:
Artem growled and sat up angrily turning to him, "You assume because I am a princess I have not known any hardships before? Kingdoms do not always flourish and there was a time before now when we struggled to survive like you, but rather than cower in fear we fought for our kingdom and built it from the ground. JUST because I am a Princess does NOT mean I am not aware." Her brows furrowed as she glared at him, she hated being called a princess it always implied in her mind that she was just a woman a spoiled brat and nothing more. There was a slight hurt in her eyes before she turned away and laid back down.

Back