Misthaven - The Bridge to Nowhere (Interest Thread)

AetherDreaming

Deep Dream Diver
Preface: Welcome to the interest thread for my first on-site roleplay. Since I'm still getting back into the swing of things, this particular iteration of this story is going to be a 1 on 1 with the possibility of opening up to a group rp later on. My base expectations for a partner is that you post at least once a week and that you take your time with your posts. Due to my work and school schedule, this arrangement works best for me and allows me to work hard for you in the time that I have. Note that I don't require character sheets. It's more fun for a character to develop naturally and for their personalities, history and so on to manifest as the story goes on. Please take your time in reading through the details provided below and let me know if you're interested via PM or by posting to this thread. Also if you have any questions, comments or concerns, you can also PM me or post to the thread.

Setting:
Our story begins in the city of Misthaven, a bustling miniature metropolis that has become so isolated from the rest of the world that aside from the residents, those who learn of if only do so out of necessity. There are no roads which lead to or from. The only way in is via a single bridge that disappears into an ever present mist that is so thick it is impossible to see what exists beyond the barrier. To the outside world, there is one certainty: those who pass into through the veil are never seen or heard from again. For you see, Misthaven came to be from the crisis born of the "discovery" of magic. Within the city limits, magic, which was once seen as volatile and unpredictable has been brought to relative control through technologies which harness and act as a go-between a user and the source. Over the years, this harmony has allowed for the city to grow and to prosper. Vibrant cultures have likewise developed amongst the people, making Misthaven feel like a world completely unto itself. And while Misthaven is home to great minds supported by an ethos of curiosity, exploration and discovery, there are still mysteries that have yet been brought to the surface.

Lore: They say that it began with flicker of light that came and went in a moment. As some would tell it, the flicker was so quickly gone that had it not started a fire in the living room of a certain Ms. Frances Devonshire, that it might have gone completely unnoticed. Fortunately, Ms. Devonshire had been sat upon the couch when the most unnatural light snapped in and out of existence and after scrambling to smother the fire, called her neighbors to share in her bewilderment. Soon, the usually introverted Ms. Devonshire was host to a room of guests who were as curious as they were skeptical. At first there was little more to see than a circular pattern singed into the otherwise ordinary wooden floor boards. But just as skepticism began to overtake curiosity, another light appeared above the crowd and lingered for a moment before vanishing like the first. Then there was another. Then two, then three simultaneously and it continued like that until the Devonshire residence was left a smoldering heap. The onlookers didn't know it then, but the Age of Magic had begun.

An invisible connection was created that day. Countless tunnels which passed through the infinite nothing between realities now joined our world to one that had been consumed by magic. The change went unnoticed for weeks, as if there wasn't enough power in the air, the water or the soil to make an appreciable difference to anyone in particular. Eventually the influence of those forgotten magics reached a critical mass and the first incident of magic was reported. A young boy was riding the bus to school when suddenly, he vanished. The community banded together and searched for days but turned up nothing. The bus driver was even accused of abducting the child but the investigation went cold as there was simply no evidence of the child's whereabouts. Just as he was to be officially pronounced dead, he reappeared at his parent's doorstep. When asked where he'd gone and why he hadn't tried to call, he said that he'd been been in small town that had a name he couldn't pronounce and the people didn't speak his language. Though he couldn't quite explain how he'd returned, he spoke most assuredly that for nights before his disappearance, he'd heard whispering. It was a phenomenon later to be called the Dead Words.

The Dead Words granted power to those who heard them. Power that, at first, manifested beyond the bearer's will or want to use them. Some incidents were rather benign but others lead to rather tragic accidents. Those afflicted by the Dead Words were studied intensely for years until finally one of the test subjects, figured out a crude means of managing the power he'd received. When the scientists asked how he'd come to understand the method, he claimed that it came to him in a dream. A series of symbols, an archaic alphabet that could evoke the Dead Words. Thus by etching the Dead Words into precious stones and then by surrounding that stone in a band bearing the same inscription, the magic could be managed, used when called upon. The danger was managed. Or it was believed.

Now that the Dead Words were beginning to be understood and catalogued, the use of magic likewise became more common. Those whose magic was more substantial and powerful were revered as mystics, wizards and heroes. Those with more modest abilities, well, at least they could impress friends over dinner. It seemed that the Age of Magic was the start of something great, leading to greater and greater things as more and more people were blessed by the Dead Words. But just as future's promise seemed its brightest, a violent storm came to balance the scales. A great mystics was entertaining a crowd of excited onlookers when a small dark circle the size of a tennis ball appeared at the center of his chest. The mystic howled in pain, begging for help as his entire body was covered in darkness and disintegrated into a pile of black and silver soot. The Dead Words had consumed him, ripping his corporeal body through realities and into the depths of the void. He was the first but far from the last, for using the pure Dead Words is terribly addictive.

The Age of Magic had gone from a glimmer of hope to a frightened and desperate reality. Fortunately, a new method of control was discovered hidden amongst the catalogued Dead Words. A series of sigils previously thought to have no bearing over magic were found to be the cure that the world now sought. There was only one problem, the sequencing of the sigils was far too long to be etched into a single stone or metal band. It ran for thousands upon thousands of lines and so it was reasoned that a great foundation would have to be created and on top of that foundation, a the town for those bearing the Dead Words to live safely. Thus it was ordered that the great foundation be committed to the earth, a series of stone circles with the sigils carved painstakingly into the surface and then sealed away so as not to be disturbed. And so, in time, Misthaven was built from a small town into a city filled with those bearing the Dead Words within them.

Plot: It's been nearly three hundred years since the city of Misthaven was established and its people have long since forgotten the crisis of the Age of Magic. New arrivals to the city are processed and assigned living arrangements and given time to adjust to society and become a contributing member in short order. They are made welcome to a city that has so effectively married the boon of technology with magical energy, the problems people face are rarely caused solely by magic or the Dead Words. Some might say you're more likely to get struck by lightning than to fall victim to darkness. However there have been reports of strange occurrences within Misthaven. Yes, strange even for a city where magic is as natural to people's lives as waking up to the Sun every morning. As two investigators, we have been charged to uncover what is behind the mysterious and increasingly unusual events.

Character: I want to give you the freedom to be creative with your Dead Words and the magic associated with them so feel free to dive in. The only restriction that I'd say is to use your common sense. If you think the ability is so crazy that you might have to ask me if it's too crazy...it's probably too crazy. Also, when thinking about your character, remember that you're going to be an investigator by trade.

This looks really interesting, I really love the Dresden Files-esque atmosphere this has and the big cool mist set piece. I'd love to play a dewy-eyed fresh-out-of-the-academy investigator mage in this. A couple questions, though.

What's the inciting incidents? Do we know what specific strange occurrences have been happening?

Another is how much people know about the old inscriptions that circle the whole town, is this knowledge hidden? Forgotten? Or is it known?

Anyways, this looks really fun and I'd love to RP this one with you.

This looks really interesting, I really love the Dresden Files-esque atmosphere this has and the big cool mist set piece. I'd love to play a dewy-eyed fresh-out-of-the-academy investigator mage in this. A couple questions, though.

What's the inciting incidents? Do we know what specific strange occurrences have been happening?

Another is how much people know about the old inscriptions that circle the whole town, is this knowledge hidden? Forgotten? Or is it known?

Anyways, this looks really fun and I'd love to RP this one with you.

Glad to hear that you're interested!

1) I hadn't thought about the first incident which kicks the story off at the time of writing but after having thought about it since posting, I think the first investigation is going to center around a fellow whose magic has gone "a bit hinky". And by a bit hinky I mean that the inside of his home has become this kinda confused infinite space that may or may not start swallowing the surrounding residences in short order. But moving forward, I'm up for hearing all kinds of suggestions.

2) I'd like to think that since they've been effective for so long that they've been mostly forgotten by everyday residents. That said there are certainly history buffs and archive workers who know about it and probably a group of folks who are tasked with maintaining the inscriptions so they don't wear out.

Oh, I've also thought a bit more about how the Dead Words work. I figured a fun way to play with it would be that each "Dead Word" is split into like 3-5 levels of access/usability. So people who don't put much stock into learning about them only naturally develop one to two whereas those who are more invested can eventually learn to access three to five. However, using the latter portions can be dangerous with regards to the potency of the power as well as the addictive properties of the magic.

I always like me a good mystery with magic houses filled with spatial anomalies. I like the world building around the circles, makes it feel lived in. I'm also intrigued at how the Dread Word's work, but that seems to be something I guess we'll have to figure out later. What are you thinking for a character at the moment? I'm thinking of maybe playing a younger character that has dreams about seeing the outside world (which I assume just doesn't happen) so that any world-building my character gets from yours feels a lot more natural. What do you think/any character ideas you got?

I always like me a good mystery with magic houses filled with spatial anomalies. I like the world building around the circles, makes it feel lived in. I'm also intrigued at how the Dread Word's work, but that seems to be something I guess we'll have to figure out later. What are you thinking for a character at the moment? I'm thinking of maybe playing a younger character that has dreams about seeing the outside world (which I assume just doesn't happen) so that any world-building my character gets from yours feels a lot more natural. What do you think/any character ideas you got?
So, the way that I see the Dead Words working at the moment for the purposes of our characters is that we use a tool/weapon/object which allows for the safe channeling of the Dead Words up to a certain level of expression. Outside of that, I imagined a sort of evocation of the words perhaps through speaking them or some sort of ritual (whatever works for your character, but just keep it consistent as will I). As for progressing to learning more about the Dead Words, people would need access to the archives which house all the current knowledge and records surrounding them and learn how to draw out those which are specific to them (with special permissions necessary). That said, I imagine there would be cases where that process might come about in different ways...dun dun dunnnnn.

As for my character, I was thinking about being in his late twenties and was someone who had to take the bridge to get into Misthaven. So that'll be an interesting contrast between the two characters. You'll get to find out more about his history as the plot moves forward. As for his Dead Words, I think I want it to revolve around the manipulation of memories: replication, implantation and removal.

I definitely like that character dynamic. I was thinking an early twenties, just dying to know about the outside world. To my character, who's lived in Misthaven their whole life, I think magic is something thoroughly mundane, which manifests as Dread Words which are more tools in a toolbox than anything really "magical": nail, loosen, and fix. Do you think this is a long-standing partnership, or just something dumped onto both of our laps just for the case? I like the idea of having a little interaction before, but the case being the first real in-depth interaction our characters have had.

I definitely like that character dynamic. I was thinking an early twenties, just dying to know about the outside world. To my character, who's lived in Misthaven their whole life, I think magic is something thoroughly mundane, which manifests as Dread Words which are more tools in a toolbox than anything really "magical": nail, loosen, and fix. Do you think this is a long-standing partnership, or just something dumped onto both of our laps just for the case? I like the idea of having a little interaction before, but the case being the first real in-depth interaction our characters have had.
I think the brand new partner thing is a bit overdone at this point so I was thinking that maybe a partnership that's a couple months old or something like that. Allows us to hit the ground running but still have room to grow. Also, you keep saying "Dread Words" when it's "Dead Words" haha

Ah, Dead Words, my bad. Dread Words is a little sinister for something that's in everyday use. Speaking of everyday use, I like the idea of pulling out some Dead Words bound into just normal tools. People have these nice sleek bejeweled wands or guns and my character just pulls out some nails and a screwdriver.

Anyways, how do you want to work out backstories? Want to just have a rough draft so we can both work on how to intertwine or just go for the RPing and work it out there. I always like the improv-method of just having the other characters mention incidents and having the "yes, but" method of developing.

I think the best way to approach a backstory is to have a lose framework that you've got kicking around in your head and that can be introduced/talked about in character at appropriate times. That way you get to spend more time with it, working it over as you get to know your own character through writing for him/her/they. I find this organic approach fosters the most creativity :)

Also, I neglected to mention it that at this point in time, regular everyday magic that is used in technology is different than the Dead Words. So like, for those whose Dead Words are not "useful" by being either ineffectual or too dangerous, they can still get about in their everyday lives within Misthaven. How does this work? So, the way I imagine it is that every person has their own reserve of magical energy (the energy restores itself over time and faster when no magic is being used) that can be used in concert with things in their lives. Driving a car, using house hold tools/appliances and of course casting spells that were derived from study of Dead Words but aren't specifically that. Then there are the Dead Words that have all the benefits and risks associated with using them as mentioned before.

I like that approach. Would you like to start, or should I?

Also I really like that "passive" approach to Dead Words. I think I'd want a character that's just really good at getting around with the normal built-in magi-tech. Something to the effect of while normal people can just augment their car using their supply of magic but still need a key to start it, my character can just sit in and brute-force the magic needed. Otherwise, no proficiency with any Dead Words. How does that sound?

I like that approach. Would you like to start, or should I?

Also I really like that "passive" approach to Dead Words. I think I'd want a character that's just really good at getting around with the normal built-in magi-tech. Something to the effect of while normal people can just augment their car using their supply of magic but still need a key to start it, my character can just sit in and brute-force the magic needed. Otherwise, no proficiency with any Dead Words. How does that sound?
Sounds good to me, I'll get something together and posted by either later this evening or by Tuesday and I'll link you to the thread.

Back