Music Room

The music room is a wide room with wood paneling floors, in it there's space to leave various musical instruments. Those that are there permanently are an old piano and a small violin. There's also a shelf with books, a yellow cushioned seat and a wooden desk that always has a typewriter on it. Next to the desk is a small chest. The violin and a basket with knitting supplies are on a big chest to be used by the tenants as storage. The windows look to the front porch. It connects the Entrance to the Laundry room.

Rose enters into the music room, closes the curtains so she cannot see the porch, and then sits down at the piano and begins to play, because like she had said to Mitch earlier, it's easier to work through things through music.

The music room was dim as Mitch sauntered in, holding a black, hard-body guitar case by the handle in one hand. He gingerly set the case down next to the bench of the piano, and made his way over to the window, where he opened the curtains back up and let the morning light beam through. It was another bright, warm day and the light made him squint for a brief moment before they readjusted and he could clearly see his surroundings.

Mitch turned around, and his eyes landed on the piano, where he could see he still had a loose parchment with some hasty scribbles sitting on the music stand. He returned to the piano and sat down on the bench, the bench creaking underneath him. He looked at the parchment for a moment, pondering just what he even wrote on it. In his feverish scribblings when writing music, he sometimes neglected to be more attentive to where he placed his noteheads on the staff. Well, if it wasn't right, he could always fix it, at least.

Mitch turned to grab his guitar case, where he unlatched the two buckles on the front and swung it open. Contained inside was a quite pristine Gibson White Falcon -- one of his most prized possessions. A sleek, white hollow-body guitar with gold-plated pick-ups and an engraving of a falcon on the pick guard. A feeling of pride always washed over him every time he saw it.

He carefully picked up the guitar by the neck and sat it on his leg. As soon as it was in place, he took the cable from an amp that was sitting next to the piano and plugged it into the body of the guitar. As he turned the amp on, a low feedback could be heard coming from the speaker, which subsided as soon as he began plucking some notes with his fingers. The tone of the guitar was warm and smooth, almost dark as it resonated through the room. The harmonies he played were full, with a tasteful touch of dissonance -- he took some influence from Coltrane and Davis in using some more unconventional harmonic stylings. Mitch shut his eyes as he actively played and listened to the notes coming from the amplifier.

He was probably playing for a good few hours. Eventually he'd hear some noise coming from the side and the back as the churchgoers returned. Then steps over wood as Selene and her daughter came in from the living room. The girl looked upset, Selene was just sort of there. It wasn't a secret she wasn't a fan of Mitch's whole aesthetic, but she did respect his more artistic side... And it sort of ended there. He had some nasty habits she wouldn't tolerate, and more than once had told Luka off for allowing. But at the end of the day this wasn't her house, so she had eventually given up. Her kids were fine with him, as far as she knew.

"Good day Mr. Mitch." Said Olivia quietly, not wanting to spook the musician.

Selene heard the stairs creak and watched Ikanov sneak by out of the corner of her eye. Who did he think he was fooling? Still she didn't say anything. The less she saw of that blonde idiot, the better.

"Yes, good day. I hope you're doing well" Said Selene if Mitch addressed them after Olivia spoke. Otherwise she'd remain silent and sit somewhere.

Mitch was pretty deep into his zone before he heard the footfalls upon the wooden flooring of the music room, and the conspicuous creaking of the stairs. He felt himself slowly return to the material world as he found himself among the living, so to speak. His hands slowed; his right hand reached down to the volume knob on the guitar and turned it all the way down, effectively muting the sound of the amplifier while allowing him to continue playing. It was something to occupy his hands during conversation.

He turned to see Olivia, who seemed noticeably crestfallen for some reason. In an effort to cheer her up, he gave a big grin in response to her greeting. "Well, hi there, Olivia! You can just call me Mitch, by the way, I don't mind." His voice was gentle and pleasant. Mitch knew Selene didn't like him all that much, but he didn't take it all that personally. It wasn't unusual for people to be scornful of his lifestyle. All he could do is be painfully amiable and pleasant in return.

"And you as well, Mrs. Dunham. I trust that today's sermon was enlightening," Mitch answered to the woman. "Is it already nearly time for lunch? I really must have lost track of time." Mitch looked to the window, noticing the change of light from when he first started playing. Though, he quickly returned his eyes to the young girl.

"Well, something seems to be troubling you, Liv. Care to tell me what's on your mind? Only if you want to, of course." Mitch looked on with concern and sincerity.

Last edited:
"it was as enlightening as it's ever going to be" Said Selene with a sigh. She didn't often share her feelings about the church, and since she regularly attended people assumed she was a devoted believer. Another sheep to be herded. At least some did.

She let her daughter answer Mitch by herself, curious as to how she'd explain what happened. In the meantime, she found a cushioned seat to sit on, and did so with one leg over the other.

"It is almost time for lunch, yes. I believe Lukais and Rose are busy cooking, and Gabriel is helping them out." She explained, resting her hands on her lap.

Olivia looked at her mother, who didn't even try to answer Mitch's question for her. Not that she had to or anything. But she used to in the past. Nowadays it was a rarer and rarer occurrence as time went on and Olivia grew.

"We met Mr. Dark and it was a bit awkward." Said the girl after mulling it all over in her mind. She hadn't quite understood the reason why Mr. Dark had refused to make a toy for her. She could have traded after all. But she didn't want to bore Mitch, who was looking so happy! With the whole story.

"But It's really not that important. Can you tell me about the music you were playing?? It was very beautiful." She gently requested instead while she walked a bit closer to Mitch. Since he was smiling, she smiled back. A radiant gesture. Behind her, still sitting tight, Selene smiled as well.

Mitch nodded silently in response to Selene's words. As much as he would like to discuss discovering one's own religion, spiritualism, and other such touchy subjects, he felt it to be an unwelcome topic for him to be addressing. Thus, he kept his mouth shut.

Mitch stopped playing on the guitar as Olivia spoke, and leaned forward, crossing his hands and resting them on his lap. "Well, he is a rather reserved man, and some people take time to warm up. I wouldn't take it too personally." He spoke gently. Hm. Maybe he should take his own advice. He sincerely wanted to connect with Dark, and he knew the man to be a good father from his brief observations. There's just an intimidation that he needed to shake off.

He found himself in quiet introspection until he realized what Olivia asked. He shook his head, getting out of his thoughts, and then looked down at his guitar. "Oh, of course! Hm... Where do I start?" He turned the volume knob on the guitar back up slightly so he could at least speak over it.

"So, there are some notes that, on their own, sound kind of weird, or dissonant." He played two notes together as an example. On their own, they sounded crunchy, coarse, and rather unpleasant. "But something really cool happens when you fill in the gaps between those notes." He fretted some more notes in between the ones he was playing, and strummed. The dissonance that was there before filled out. The sound went from rough and hollow, to full, colorful, and warm. It was like the rough scribbles on a canvas turning into a gorgeous, complex landscape with various colors.

"I think it's pretty fascinating, personally. Sometimes things don't make sense on their own. But when you look at the bigger picture, it all meshes together, and it just feels right." He strummed some more chords together, the tone of the guitar dark and full. "I, uh, I'm no teacher or anything, though. I don't know if any of that made sense."

There was the most quiet snort of amusement, and Selene spoke.

"Don't fret dear, you're undeniably an artist. And I don't think most teachers know when their words make sense. Especially in such abstract matters." She said, sitting with her back straight, like a lady.

Little Olivia nodded first at Mitch's words about Dark. And then, with a smile, to his explanation about music.

"It's like when we hear crickets outside. Mom and Gabe don't quite agree... but the crickets, and the birds, and other outside night sounds make a melody! I even wrote it down. But it's in my journal, and I haven't brought it. I could show you another time? And do you write your music?? Maybe then you can show me! Like a trade?" She would trade something today, come on.

"Please Mist- uhhh Mitch?" He wanted to be called just Mitch.

"Oh, I promise I won't copy it. Your work is your own" she clarified, just in case, lifting her pinky.

Mitch couldn't help but smile bashfully at Selene's words. "Oh, I'm no artist. Just someone who really enjoys what I do." He said these words but it still filled him with a little bit of pride. He turned the volume knob back down on his guitar and went to turn off the amplifier. Lunch was probably going to be ready soon anyway.

As he was unplugging his guitar from the amplifier and putting it back in its case, he nodded to Olivia's words. "It's true. Music is everywhere, even if we don't recognize it that way at first. Even the way people speak follow a cadence, kind of like a song." Inside his case was a black folder, the contents of which were several pieces of strewn out papers and parchments.

"I'm working on the piece on the piano right now, but I do have some older pieces of music in my folder. I do warn you, my handwriting isn't great," he admitted with a laugh. He picked up the folder from the case and swung it open, searching through the contents before reaching one certain parchment, which he pulled out. The sheet music was covered in several markups, chord symbols, even some sketches on the margins. Though, noticeably, the piece didn't appear to have a name.

"I don't need to hold onto this piece, I have it all in my head anyway." He said with a grin. He brought out his own pinky and locked it with Olivia's, before pulling it away and trading it with the sheet music. "It's a deal. You'll have to show me that entry in your journal next time, yeah?"

Olivia nodded enthusiastically at Mitch's words.

"Okay! And I can bring you one of my calligraphy practice copies too. That's how I keep my handwriting in check. Teachers love it, but you don't have teachers do you? You're all grown up." Said the girl, taking the music sheet and looking at it, focused, before pocketing it... Somewhere.

Her mother watched the scene play out with interest. Why would he deny being an artist, if he clearly was?. Was it fake honesty, or was his sense of self-worth really so low? Or his self loathing so high. Hm. This man was a bit of a mystery. Not even Luka knew all that much about him, what he did, who he was. Besides all there was to see. Maybe she ought to look into it. But it didn't really seem like the kind of thing he would appreciate. If after coming and going for three years the Luseth didn't know much about him, there had to be something deliberate about it.

"Forgive me if I overstep, dear. But what exactly is music to you?" Asked Selene, still sitting. She didn't need to stand to command respect. But her gaze was genuine and warm, her expression one of interest and maybe concern. Deep down, somewhere.

Mitch scratched his chin. That was definitely a heavy question for him to try to answer, though he wasn't sure if she was aware that it was. He hummed for a moment, letting his thoughts marinate. "I think music is ever changing," he started thoughtfully. He chuckled quietly. "At the risk of sounding pretentious, I think it can mean different things for different people. It's any kind of sound that we listen to with the intent of it being music. I mean, Beethoven wrote symphonies that the populace believed was just noise, and now people recognize him as one of the great European composers."

Mitch sat back and pondered for a moment. "Music for me is... It's complicated. I write and play what I think sounds good to me. Maybe that's all it comes down to. It's whatever sounds like 'music' to the listener."

Selene nodded, listening to Mitch intently. Olivia stepped away from the man to investigate the music sheet a bit closer, taking it out of wherever it was stashed. It was likely her dress had secret pockets or something.

"I see. I've known other musicians. Some dream of glory, being well known, a stage. Some don't at all, and they are content sharing music with their family or at most playing in their favourite... Bar, or club. You have another job entirely don't you? Ever thought of dedicating more time to music? Or is it not your interest to share that sound of yours?" She asked him, being certain he wasn't the type to want a million fans thirsting over him. But still, maybe there was more to it than it seemed. Selene liked music, liked to play in the safety of her home. She didn't usually compose anything new, though, happy giving other musicians' creations a try. Sometimes with an added taste of her own, but not that often.

"Not that it's wrong to keep it private, mind you. I do. But our... Attitude toward music is vastly different." She said, shrugging a bit. She hoped Olivia didn't lose that music sheet... Maybe she'd take a look after, see if she could play it.

It was strange. Selene had never shown as much interest in anything Mitch did as much as she did now. It felt rather bizarre, but it wasn't a negative kind of bizarre. He glanced to the side awkwardly, but then looked back to Selene.

"Well, of course I've thought about dedicating myself to music. I feel like any musician has," he said with a slight bit of self-consciousness. He had thought about it. It was a romantic idea, if somewhat idyllic. It was one of those childhood dreams of his that was forgotten at best and squashed at worst. "I guess I'm not convinced that people would want to listen." Or would it even make him happy? "It's a personal thing, I guess. I'm not looking to be famous," he said with a smile, like even the thought of it was ridiculous. "I guess I'm not looking to make money off of my music, either. I don't know. I wish it could be what I dedicate myself to, and I'd love to share my music. I just don't know if it's feasible."

He sat up straight. "Forgive me, but I wasn't actually aware that you played. What's your attitude towards music? What do you play?" His eyes lit up, and he pushed his bifocals up on his nose.

Initially, she responded to Mitch with little hums of understanding and agreement. To fill the void so he knew he was listened to. A courtesy, really.

"My mother likes to say, everything is possible when you know the right people. I think she was right, but I'd phrase it differently and consider it less than inspirational, really." She sighed, and then Mitch asked about music. Her music.

He was bound to, as knowledgeable in the general topic as he was. At first she didn't say anything, only looked at him half squinting as if trying to see through. Through to where, it was a mystery.

"I can play piano, a little. I was taught because it was thought appropriate in my youth. That as a lady it added value to my person, and that it'd... Give me a fresh perspective without filling my head with too many ideas." She said, rolling her eyes.

"A friend taught me to play the cello during when I was a teenager, I still like to play today. My family wasn't happy about it, since I don't like to complicate the process with changing my posture to play. It's like taking the cork off a bottle, for me. And because I have the time, I've been learning the transverse flute." She explained, checking a couple of times that there was no one else around. Her kids knew, and the Luseth generally knew. But she didn't need bystanders or God forbid Ikanov learning about it. For no other reason than her own will and comfort at keeping it private, really.

Mitch listened attentively to Selene describe her past with music. Sure, it wasn't uncommon for traditional households to teach piano to the children, but it was still something Mitch had in common with her, so it was certainly a welcome surprise. He frowned when she described that her introduction to music was effectively a way to oppress. It seemed rather odd, though, to use music in such a way, as if music made you less thoughtful. Traditionalist conservatives were confusing.

He noticed Selene seemed rather cautious about talking about this topic. Is this something that she's ashamed of? Is she scared about others finding out?

This may have been a slightly awkward question to ask, but the thought tickled in the back of Mitch's head. "Have you ever played with anyone?" He asked. He didn't have any personal rules to who he played music with -- Anyone had the capability to be a good musician and jam partner. "Sometimes jamming with someone else can really help me get a new appreciation for music." Maybe an appreciation for the other person as well?

As odd as it may seem, she continued to be cagey about it. The question definitely surprised her, and it was reflected in her features for the moment it escaped her usually fine control. She did wonder if he was just curious, or if it was a proposal to perhaps play together sometime. Had it been literally anyone else, she may have considered it being some sort of innuendo. God knew there were some disgusting minds out there. But it just seemed impossible. It occurred to her that Mitch was probably the most... Harmless man she had come across. Ever. If only because he seemed almost fragile, psychologically speaking. And mainly because it was very hard to imagine him doing something to deliberately harm another.

"I used to play the cello with my husband. Since then, I haven't really played with anyone else. And I don't think I will." That was closed off, it wasn't something she felt ready for and she wouldn't come out of her comfort zone. Not for anyone.

"The flute I've played with my children before, and with some others. A few. It's definitely what I'm more inclined to share. Why do you ask?" She asked then, watching him closely. Too harmless, maybe she should be careful. It was a wonder if this was a well practiced façade or painfully genuine. The latter would likely leave Mitch open for those with the sharpest tongues. But then again, she didn't know this man all that well.

Mitch smiled sheepishly. He could tell that it was a question that Selene had likely never gotten before. He was still rather unsure of where this line of inquiry were to go. He didn't exactly expect her to be all on board for doing jam sessions, and that doubt was more or less confirmed.

"Of course, I don't intend to change your feelings on it at all," he said, sitting back in a vague effort to keep himself more emotionally distanced. "Regardless, however you share music, whether it's by playing music together, sharing some records or some sheet music, or even just discussing the facets behind it, I think it's always a positive experience." His smile was a little more confident now, as it was something he felt a bit more strongly about. "It was practically our second language between me and my ma."

It was striking how innocently sincere Mitch seemed to be, as if he had never once done anything in deceit or malice. His tone was honest and light, and his eyes sparkled with intrigue and openness. To anyone that didn't know him, it would cause them some pause to try to evaluate his intentions, but they would discover that he really does just wear his emotions and his beliefs on his sleeve. His demeanor was still rather reserved, his shoulders stiff and his posture withheld; it was as if he was still trying to keep himself contained, at the risk of making someone uncomfortable or frightening them.

She stood, approaching him for the first time since they'd started talking. She smoothed the skirt of her dress, carerful as ever to be and look as proper as she was supposed to.

"I appreciate your offer, and I will keep it in mind, Mitch. I don't create much myself though, I'm afraid. Beyond short poems that go nowhere ever" A concession she could make, an opportunity she could give. To this very kind man, at least in appearance.

"In return, should you feel inclined to share music, don't hesitate to contact me. I'll find the time." She offered, hearing the meal time bell a moment later.

"Liv, darling, lunch time!, you can study that a bit more later." She told her daugher, who pocketed her cherished music sheet and went over to her mother.

"And Mitch. I'm not aware of how close you are to other tenants, or your habits. But you'd do well to remember I'm a very private person. I ask that you please respect that." She said, her gaze turning as frozen and distant as it tended to be, before it turned back to a relative softness. "are you coming?"

Mitch heard the sound of the bell coming from the kitchen, and promptly got up from the bench. "I'll remember to let you know in the future. If Olivia is willing to share that sheet music with you, by all means." His shoulders were still stiff, but his demeanor was still kind.

He gave an embarrassed smile. "Oh, yeah, sorry, please don't let me overstep if you're uncomfortable," he said meekly, his voice lower. He ran a faintly shaking hand through his hair and cleared his throat. "After you, of course." After saying this, he would follow Selene and Olivia into the dining room.

Back