Chronicles of The Omniverse Archived Nasazura's Rest: Barracks

Tiko

Draconic Administrator/Mentor
Administrator
Mentor
Nexus GM
as written by glmstr

"Wow, they'd love to hear about this," said the first of the recruits to speak up, a Lutetian towards the back of the party. Priscilla clutched her coat and shivered a little, the winters at home very rarely (if ever) were this harsh, so her coat proved to be largely inadequate.

as written by Script

Kallis lingered towards the back of the group, wrapped in a thick cloak lined with fur that he had purchased on Akosua's recommendation from one of the towns near the base of the peaks. The teen, one of the youngest of the group, had remained quiet for much of the journey. He had spoken when spoken to, answered any questions they had, but otherwise had seldom taken it upon himself to engage with the others.

Despite his heavy furs, the cold bit at him keenly. He'd spent his life accustomed to the warmth of Caldonia, and this was a stark change. Crimson eyes peered up at the temple with nervous anticipation. Though Akosua had given him plenty of reassurances, he still had doubts as to whether this stronghold of the light and its guardians would abide his presence.

Those doubts aside, however, he was very glad to have arrived. His leg muscles ached in longing for a rest. He was far from unfit, but the climb to the temple had been trying to say the least. He couldn't imagine making the journey during the winter. What he needed now was a hot drink and a warm fire. Acceptance could come later.

as written by Emperor Jester

Not far from Priscilla, a rather tall of somewhat beanpole-ish looking youth marched along with stooped shoulders and downcast eyes. Two suit cases were strung to his back, and two more were clutched in white knuckled hands. Luckily, those precious digits were covered with a pair of fur lined leather gloves, and the feet that marched were treated similarly, only with boots. Hiking boots that bordered on the combat side considering their design. From his deceptively broad shoulders down, covering all save his hands and feet, there was draped a magnificently clean, off-white lab coat. Not any ordinary coat, no. This one seemed like it was made of a thick, heavy leather, and seemed to jingle with the sounds of metal and glass with each step he took before coming to a halt.

Hendrik felt his mouth go slack with awe behind the heavy, hyper extended collar that covered the lower half of his face. This sort of place, built this high up in the mountains. Without any modern equipment?! They hadn't lied to him! Here was the chance the improve his craft, in a sanctuary away from the world! A sparkle rose on his features, giving his fair cheeks a warm glow and his cobalt blue eyes an eager shimmer.

"Oh my...I had my doubts the whole trip. But this place is simply marvelous..." Those heavily accented words might've been some of the very first or few his traveling companions had heard him speak in all their weeks together.

Last edited by a moderator:
as written by Tiko

Shae let her duffel bag slip from her shoulder and it landed with a muffled thump upon the courtyard flagstones. She was winded and haggard from the climb, and the weight of the bag had seemed to gain a pound every hour. She wasn't unfit, but three months of surviving alone in the winter wastelands of the Northlands had left her little more than a skeleton of a figure. She was gaunt and undernourished, and the trek had taken more out of her than some of the others.

She said nothing as she looked over the surroundings with an alertness that defied her physical exhaustion, but her silence was a matter that the others likely had become accustomed to. She was the newest arrival within the group, but she hadn't said a word to a one of them during the several day hike up the side of the mountain.

____

"It is magnificent," Ritza uttered in awe as she stared up at the temple.

Hailing from a tropical climate, the cold had proven a less than pleasant ordeal for the Arteghian woman. Even layered beneath the thick leathers and furs that Akosua had provided them for the journey, she hadn't been able to keep the cold bite entirely at bay.

Standing here now though and looking upon the temple from her dreams, the cold seemed distant and unimportant. An inner warmth had begun to well up, and she closed her eyes a moment as she let the feeling fill her.

____

For those with a keen eye, they might take note of a lone figure seated near the height of the temple. It wasn't upon the walkways, or the balcony that surrounded the large dome at the top that she was seated though. No she was sitting lazily upon a stone archway above one of the small window slits of the upper floors, one leg hanging over the edge loosely. The window appeared far too small for her to have climbed through, but movement overhead offered perhaps a hint of how she had managed to get to her perch. A scaly red head lifted up from the upper balcony to turn a reptilian slit eye down upon the gathering in the courtyard.

"Think we should go down and take a look?" Rayen asked.

The young dragon uncoiled from where it had been sunning itself upon the rocky tower and began to make its way down the side of the tower. Though brutish in appearance, it moved with surprising athletism as it found purchase on even the smallest crevices in the rocks, windows, and various other outcroppings.

"Hey, wait for me," Rayen hollered.

The dragon let out a grumbling grunt as it reached the lower balcony and looked up expectantly.

The woman overhead stood up and unfurled a pair of black feathered wings, but rather than taking flight as one might have expected she swung herself over the edge of the ledge and dropped towards the dragon below.

The wings she sported seemed far too small to sustain flight, but they served to slow her fall as she landed in a crouch next to the dragon.

"Come on, let's take the stairs," she said as they headed inside through a pair of double doors to continue their journey towards the courtyard below.

as written by birdee10

Jake looked up at the giant castle like building, the only sign of civilization in the scenic view. It was strange, without the sound and clutter of the city. He had never been anywhere else. Yet, looking at this place, this palace, he felt surprisingly at home. Or, at least, safe. Something he had not truly felt in a long time.
He put his hands in the pockets of his hoodie, the only thing between him and the cold. Not that he felt it, the fire magic nestled deep inside of him keeping away the worst of the frosty teeth and warming the air around him.
Jake wanted nothing more than to find a chair and just rest. The hike up the mountain had been strenuous, even though the path had already been broken for him. And then he could find a dark corner to to duck into, avoiding the words of others. Thankfully thus far, everyone had been too winded or trying not to fall on their ass to talk to him. He would prefer to keep it that way.
But it was good to know that this place was real. Not a reoccurring harbinger of his own madness, nor his mother invading his mind. Only an Order bent on saving the world which he had now become part of for the rest of his possibly short existence. No big deal.

as written by Script

The new arrivals would not have to wait long. Within a few minutes of their variously striding, stumbling and staggering into the courtyard, the temple's inhabitants came out to meet them.

At their fore walked a woman of ageless beauty. Though her elven features were unblemished and unwrinkled, there was an unmistakable maturity and wisdom to her visage that could only come from great age. She was clad in a lengthy blue cloak and robe of evidently fine make, and her hair fell in deep brown tresses over her shoulders. She wore a warm smile upon her face as she looked over the new arrivals, assessing them each in turn with a gaze that - although it gave the impression of seeing far beyond the surface - was not judgmental, only welcoming.

At her side, two young men walked. The first was a face that Aldo would recognise as Elante Vadrillion, one of Celestia's most prominent alumni. The design of the auburn-haired mage's white-and-gold cloak and mantle bore the insignias of the academy, and if nothing else, the scepter fastened at his side identified him as a spellcaster to those of the group unfamiliar with the prestigious institution.

Along with him was a long-haired swordsman clad in similar attire to the Knights of Le'thorian that had greeted the group. His tunic and cloak bore prominent indications of rank, however, suggesting that he held a lofty rank within the order of knights. The sword fastened at his hip was of exquisite craftsmanship, and its simple yet elegant design lent it an understated beauty.

More figures continued to emerge from the temple, though they took up less prominent positions. Amongst them were a warrior maiden in heavy plate armour of black-and-gold, a younger elven mage who bore something of a resemblance to the sorceress at their fore, a fair-haired youth clad with two antique pistols holstered at his hips, and two teens in more contemporary garb: the first platinum blonde and fine featured, and the second green-skinned, with pointed ears and a broad, sharp-toothed grin. At their backs stood a large centaur woman of the like that none of the new arrivals had likely ever laid eyes upon. Her skin was a dusky hue of purple, and a pair of hefty curved horns swept back from her brow to arc behind her. The temple it would seem had gathered all sorts of beings from across the lands.

Also among those to meet the new arrivals upon the step were a number of ghostly spectres that began to manifest themselves into visibility. It would seem that both the living and the dead had turned out to receive the next generation of champions to be.

"Welcome, all of you," The elven woman at the front of the Vanguard stepped forwards towards the group of newcomers. "I am Sylvire Nasazura, leader of the Elysian Vanguard. Truly, it is wonderful to see so many new faces come to answer the call."

as written by Tiko

Akosua seemed somwhat taken aback at the sight of the woman who addressed them. She had never met the elven sorceress, but she knew her by reputation, and by the large statue errected within the vestibule of the temple.

She retained her composure though and straightened her posture as she looked upon the legend of old, Sylvire Nasazura, founder of the Elysian Vanguard.

"It is an honor to have you walk among us again, Lady Nasazura," she spoke. "I am Akosua. Sworn to the Elysian Vanguard."

She waved the new arrivals forward next.

"Come, introduce yourselves," she told them.

as written by roomrider

Luth eyed the newcomer with curious intent. He wasn't one of them, hell no. Everything was way too wrong for that to be it. Dress, style, even the way the person carried himself. He watched as the male about his own age found a seat away from others, the cold demeanor radiating from his self nearly visible. Must be one of the new recruits. He thought to himself. Well keeping himself separated like that won't help matters. The talk of brotherhood within the barracks was nothing to be swatted at, and nothing positive was in store for anti-socialites. Maybe I ought to go talk to him. His moral obligation eventually won out despite his own mind's protest. So, rather grudgingly, the soldier took step by step to grow ever closer to the outsider. Eventually taking a seat close by. The young soldier took a moment for the silence to sink in before speaking. "Hello"

as written by birdee10

Jake watched as one man broke away from the group near the fire. He wore the same uniform as the others and carried himself with a similar grace. The young mage only looked for half a moment, before returning his gaze to the center.
When the man came and at near him, Jake glanced at the soldier once more. The man looked at him a moment before speaking.
“Hello” He said, clearly talking to Jake. The mage was managing well to appear calm and collected. Not the he was very worried, or very shy, but this was a place he didn’t know and so he needed to tread carefully.
“Hi.” He said, absentmindedly playing with a leather bracelet on his wrist.

as written by roomrider

"Hi"
That's a start... The other man wasn't particularly light in conversation, but Luth never expected much in the first place. So at least he wasn't disappointed. "I'm Luth Edguard by the way. If it sounds familiar, that's because it is." Luth allowed himself to flash a smile. "My father's well along in the ranks." Glancing at the bracelet the other man was toying with, Luth allowed his tone to settle a bit. "What's your name?" Head slightly tilted to one side, he didn't bother to look around at what others were doing. He didn't mind if some happened to stare at the odd pair. Luth was respected and liked to the point where he could act comfortably in casual occasions.

as written by birdee10

The mage smirked ever so slightly. The man sounded pretentious. Almost as if to say, “Yep, that powerful guy, He’s my dad. Gotta love good old pops.” But Jake didn’t comment. Instead he just said, “Never heard of him. I’m Jake.”
The bracelet was braided leather small, almost imperceptible runes carved into it, and a small silver bead seemed to have a word on it. But it didn’t seem to be in english, and it was half hidden by the boy’s wrist.

as written by roomrider

"Well nice to meet you Jake." Luth spoke warmly. His gaze gravitating towards the other man's bracelet once again. It had an alluring aura to it. Something that really perked interest. Reverting his gaze upward, Luth met eyes with Jake. "Well Jake...What brings you to be part of us? You don't seem to be the average soldier type." Luth tried looking the other man over once more. Maybe he could be an archer or something? "I mean, there's got to be something you bring to the table, am I mistaken?"

as written by birdee10

Jake noticed Luth’s unwanted attention on his bracelet and his fidgeting, and hid his hands under the table. “I have my reasons.” He said, then, deciding he probably should not be friendless in a place like this, he added. “Chief among them getting the dreams to stop. Every night, the same dream of this place, I thought it was my mother. But turns out it was you guys, and everyone who came in had the same one.” He said, smiling slightly. “What kind of messed up shit is that? Couldn’t you have just called or somethin’? Write a message in the sky, or at least put fine print in the dream, ‘Be prepared to walk up huge ass mountain’.” He added, cheekily.

as written by roomrider

"Uh...." Luth scanned the room with his eyes after Jake's dialogue. I guess quiet and mellow is the kind of mood you want to catch this guy in...he gets a bit weird when he's excited... Numerous eyes flashed towards the two seated men. Some stuck for a while before returning to their original tasks, and Luth noticed this all too well. "Well, it's nice to know that we've begun to use supernatural talents in the recruiting department." He said with a nervous smile.
The soldier glanced down at where the other man's hands had been a moment before, noticing that Jake had hid them under the table before looking down at his own. His own hands had never seen a real battle, but had seen lots of time excelling at training drills and the likes. In fact, Luth had become known as the best of his batch rather quickly when it came to strategy and skill. He expected to be moving up the ranks rather quickly once he could see some field time.
"Well I must wish you good luck on any training." Luth spoke nearly condescendingly. "It can be quite difficult for some at times. It's no walk in the park you know."

as written by birdee10

Jake either didn’t notice or didn’t care about the stairs. But Luth’s comment deserved a smirk. A proper one this time. “Lately a walk in the park ain’t no walk in the park, with all that is happening.” He said, shifting slightly, to put his hands in the pockets on his hoodie.
The man’s tone was understandably on the edge of condescending, but Jake was confident in his ability to kick Luth’s ass if he needed to, fire or no fire.

as written by roomrider

“Lately a walk in the park ain’t no walk in the park, with all that is happening.” The other man said with a smirk. Luth's smile soured for a split second. This recruit sure is a strange one. With his thoughts running through the mind, Luth couldn't help but notice as Jake placed his hands in his pockets. Out of sight. A smile returning to his lips Luth replied. "Well if a walk in the park isn't a walk in the park, then what is? And if a walk in the park isn't a walk in the park, something that isn't a walk in the park would be a walk in the park, wouldn't it?"
Agh! What am I doing lowering myself to this stranger's peculiar lines? Ah well, I'm interested in what he'll reply with nonetheless. The soldier crossed his arms, waiting for an answer.

as written by birdee10

Jake stared at the soldier, trying to see deeper into him it seemed. “A walk in the park, is a dead sprint for the other side or you risk bodily harm, or being sucked into a wormhole, or, straight up death.” He said, a bitter sadness in his quiet voice that wasn’t there before.

as written by roomrider

Luth's narrowed slightly at the noticeable shift in the other man's tone. What kind of parks has this man been to?
"Who are you...recruit?" Luth spoke in a near whisper, stiffening his posture as he did so. Something felt odd about this stranger, in fact, something was off the moment he came to sit and speak with the other man. Luth just couldn't figure out exactly what it was, but he had a feeling he'd soon find out. And for some reason, the soldier really missed his armor. He missed his sword even more. There's a certain reassurance one feels with the comfort of the familiar hilt and pommel of a sword...

as written by birdee10

Jake looked away from Luth, staring at the fire in the center of the room. He had told the woman at the front that he was Jake of Westeria. And a long time ago he had given up being Jake Holloway, or Jake of the Hollow Way. Did he really know who he was? Or was that one of the unsaid reasons for coming to here, to find out who he was. So, instead of giving any of the half answers or false truths that popped into his head, the young mage only said: “I told you, my name is Jake.”. Even if that was not the question he was asked.

as written by roomrider

Luth exhaled shortly and abruptly through his mouth at the other man's reply. His face didn't sour, but his smile never reached the eyes. "I remembered your name the first time you said it recruit...but if you'd rather not answer, so be it. I have to warn you though, most don't appreciate a brother in arms that prefers to shroud themselves in mystery." The soldier glanced at the fire for a moment. "Consider yourself lucky you have me to reference..." He spoke in a softened tone

Back