Chronicles of The Omniverse Archived Nasazura's Rest: Barracks

as written by Script

"I see you've met Luth," a voice cut in from the door, as a youth with platinum blonde hair stepped inside. Jake would likely recognise Ari as having been part of the crowd that assembled on the steps to greet them earlier. He took a moment to sling his thick red coat off after stepping into the warmth of the barracks, before flashing a smile at the pair and making his way over.

"If he's getting all soldier on you, don't pay him too much mind. I'm sure he'd have us all doing drills with him at dawn if he had his way," he winked at Luth playfully, then held out a hand to Jake. "I'm Ari - short for Aristides. I'm an initiate like you, but I've been here for a few months now."

He took note of the slightly uncomfortable expression on Jake's face, briefly glancing between him and Luth in an attempt to figure out what had transpired between them. "Everything okay?"

Ari had been staying in the barracks since he arrived at the temple a few months prior, and so Luth would likely be familiar with him. The Vanguard initiate was, purportedly, a demi (demi-demi-demi-demi...) god, with ancestry leading back to an ancient Avarosan goddess by the name of Artemis. His heritage afforded him unparalleled skills of archery, and the ability to shapechange into various beasts.

The youth was something of a free spirit, and had a care-free attitude that contrasted sharply with the more military discipline of the Knights. It had taken him a long while to get used to life in a barracks, and hadn't made the best first impression in the process, but since then he'd managed to come around to something approximating being responsible (in much the same vein as Aeryn, the Warden he'd been apprenticed to).

as written by birdee10

The young mage looked up as a new person walked over. Jake thought he had seen the man in the crowd when he first arrived, but couldn’t be sure, as a lot of people had come to gawk at the newbies.
“Everything ok?” Ari asked, glancing between the two. Jake just shrugged.
“Yeah.” He said declining the handshake by keeping his hands in his pockets. At the rate things were going, perhaps he would be the most popular kid in no time. Weeee He thought sarcastically to himself.

as written by roomrider

"I see you've met Luth,"
Luth turned to see the owner of the voice stroll through the door and towards himself and Jake. "If he's getting all soldier on you, don't pay him too much mind. I'm sure he'd have us all doing drills with him at dawn if he had his way," the newcomer to the conversation said, shooting a wink at Luth.
"I can't help it Aristides, it's how I was raised. Besides, there's nothing wrong with a little hard work."

"Everything okay?" Luth's smile dropped a bit at the question.
"Yeah" Jake spoke first.
"It's as he says." Luth's gestured towards the newbie. "Everything's fine."

Luth frowned a bit when Jake Left the other initiate's hand in the air. Maybe the newcomer ought to be taught some manners. In a gentlemanly fashion of course. Nevertheless, Luth kept quiet for now, wondering how Aristides would react.

Luth had known Aristides for a time. About a few months. He respected the initiate's skill with the bow, but archery was never really up his alley. In Luth's mind, a real man fought valiantly on the front lines. Up close and personal with the enemy. The whole animal shape shifting situation seemed interesting enough on it's own. Luth never really gave it too much thought though. As a person however, although Aristides was a bit loose, Luth enjoyed the other man's company when he wasn't trying to get something done.

as written by Script

Ari raised an eyebrow when Jake ignored his offered hand. "Y'know, I'm not holding my hand out here for my health, kid," he prompted dryly, placing his other hand on his hip and continuing to offer the handshake. "C'mon, it's not gonna burn you."

He grinned again. "You're Jake, right? I dunno what's going on behind that broody expression, but I can promise you that I'm definitely more annoyingly persistent than you are stubbornly reclusive. If you shake my hand now and at least pretend we're gonna be pals, I won't pester you for the rest of the evening until you eventually give in out of frustration. Deal?"

Last edited by a moderator:
as written by birdee10

“C’mon, it’s not going to burn you.”
The irony of that statement was probably lost on everyone but Jake. Considering he could actually burn people with a handshake. He rolled his eyes and shook hands.
“Happy now?” He said, sarcastically. He knew he really should be trying to make friends, but old habits die hard and Ari gave off a magical aura that he didn’t want to mess with. "And yeah, I'm Jake."

as written by roomrider

Luth grinned watching the two others shake hands. "Looks like someone just got their first lesson in proper manners and etiquette." It looked like Aristides always had a knack of pulling outsiders into the group. Even strange ones like Jake. "You may be knight material yet." Luth said, nodding at Jake. "Being under all that armor isn't as bad as most make it out to be...IF you train properly." He aimed the last part of the sentence at Aristides. "And the reassuring weight of a sword and shield in your hands, you fall in love with it real quick. Personally can't wait to put some real use on mine." Luth let the latter part of the statement leave his lips with a haughty aftertaste.

as written by Script

Luth grinned watching the two others shake hands. "Looks like someone just got their first lesson in proper manners and etiquette." It looked like Aristides always had a knack of pulling outsiders into the group. Even strange ones like Jake. "You may be knight material yet." Luth said, nodding at Jake. "Being under all that armor isn't as bad as most make it out to be...IF you train properly." He aimed the last part of the sentence at Aristides. "And the reassuring weight of a sword and shield in your hands, you fall in love with it real quick. Personally can't wait to put some real use on mine." Luth let the latter part of the statement leave his lips with a haughty aftertaste.

as written by birdee10

Jake made a sarcastic, 'Whoooo' noise. "the magic of friendship." He said, half heartedly. Once he had met a girl who could use the magic of friendship, it had just been plan creepy. The more people she had around her as friends, the more she could make flowers and rainbows. And, she got really strong when she was with a bunch of her, special friends. Needless to say, the fire mage didn't stick around there long.
And the prospect of a sword and shield didn't really tickle his fancy either. He was more, Fist to face type of fighter. "Yeah, I'm more a fan of a good butterfly knife."

as written by roomrider

"Don't you know that an early morning is a productive one Aristides?" Luth said, turning to face the initiate. "But then again, I don't expect someone like you to appreciate that until it's gone." He poked jokingly at Ari.

"Yeah, I'm more a fan of a good butterfly knife." Luth tilted his head slightly at the phrase.

"I do believe that the proper term for that is 'balisong', but I suppose it's not uncommon for most to be mistaken." He stared at Jake for a moment before continuing. "And well, you DO seem like the 'knife in the back' sort of person. Wouldn't you agree Aristides?" He reverted his gaze towards Ari with a mischievous smile.

as written by Script

"Don't you know that an early morning is a productive one Aristides?" Luth said, turning to face the initiate. "But then again, I don't expect someone like you to appreciate that until it's gone." He poked jokingly at Ari.

"Yeah, I'm more a fan of a good butterfly knife." Luth tilted his head slightly at the phrase.

"I do believe that the proper term for that is 'balisong', but I suppose it's not uncommon for most to be mistaken." He stared at Jake for a moment before continuing. "And well, you DO seem like the 'knife in the back' sort of person. Wouldn't you agree Aristides?" He reverted his gaze towards Ari with a mischievous smile.

as written by birdee10

Being called 'Jakey' almost made him cringe. If that was going to become a common occurrence, then perhaps he should pick up a sword and shield. It would look more valiant and a lot less desperate than 'falling on his own bellsong' or whatever it was that Luth had said. As for the early rises, Jake had never been one for sleeping, so that wouldn't be a problem.
"I'm all for not dying. So if stabbing people in the back means I don't die, then great." He said,

as written by roomrider

A slight look of dismay obscured the young knights face upon hearing his companions' statements. "I find it sad that chivalry and tradition is losing it's grip, at least on you two. I'd take a respectable duel over some night-time murder in the shadows any day." Luth was a strong believer in tradition, honor, chivalry, and the likes. It pained him to see such values being slowly washed away, especially when the result presented itself.

"I suppose you believe in Anarchy and the fact that the structure of a chain of command is foolish as well? Or maybe we should start killing civilians? How about that?" Luth spoke with false enthusiasm. "I'm sure they'll teach you proper once you two become proper wardens." He said smugly. Luth had already completed his training and was practically battle ready, so he saw himself as a higher rank than an initiate.

as written by Script

A slight look of dismay obscured the young knights face upon hearing his companions' statements. "I find it sad that chivalry and tradition is losing it's grip, at least on you two. I'd take a respectable duel over some night-time murder in the shadows any day." Luth was a strong believer in tradition, honor, chivalry, and the likes. It pained him to see such values being slowly washed away, especially when the result presented itself.

"I suppose you believe in Anarchy and the fact that the structure of a chain of command is foolish as well? Or maybe we should start killing civilians? How about that?" Luth spoke with false enthusiasm. "I'm sure they'll teach you proper once you two become proper wardens." He said smugly. Luth had already completed his training and was practically battle ready, so he saw himself as a higher rank than an initiate.

as written by roomrider

Luth narrowed his eyes at Ari's reply. "At least I'll have people at my funeral." He said flatly. "Besides, different rules apply to infidels and non-human creatures. We've got people like yourself for those kinds of jobs, so I can wash my hands after writing your mandate and sending you on your way." Luth took a deep breathe, softening his features as he did so.

"I wouldn't expect an initiate like you to understand. I hear the same talk from criminals and ignorant civilians all the time anyways. The same ones that are saved and spared by those like myself nonetheless."

The soldier finally let a smile grace his features. "Why don't we change the subject before true offense is taken by anyone, shall we? After all, as a knight, I don't find such conflict pleasurable. I hope we can agree on that much. That conflict is unpleasant?"

as written by Script

Ari's eyes narrowed and he shook his head. "Nah, go fuck yourself, mate. You can take that self-righteous bullshit and shove it where the sun don't shine, where it can keep your head company."

With a casual flip of his middle finger in Luth's general direction, Ari turned to stroll away. "Catch you later, Jake, and sorry you had to see that. But this 'ignorant civilian' is off to find some less backwards-minded company. You're welcome to tag along if you get tired of being judged wanting by Sir Lawful-Asshole."

His cheerful demeanour had soured notably, replaced by dryly amused scorn. Evidently, it was too late to avoid 'true offense'.

as written by roomrider

"Hold on Aristides." Luth spoke as he stepped in front of the other man. His voice took on a serious tone with his next words. "I apologize for causing you offense, and I ask for your forgiveness...But your behavior just now was unacceptable. More so because you've been here for a time. That is no example to show a recruit like Jake here." The soldier motioned towards Jake.

"Please do remember that you not only represent yourself, but the Elysian Vanguard as well. I don't do all I do and believe for myself, Initiate. I do it for my family name and the Knights of Le'thorian. We may not see eye to eye on some things, but we must agree on concrete values. You and I, along with the Vangaurd and the Knights. Let's make things easier, shall we?"

With his last words, Luth extended his hand.

as written by Script

Ari folded his arms and turned to regard Luth with a glare. "Maybe if you stopped for a minute and actually thought about what you were saying, I wouldn't have a reason to be pissed off, yeah? Don't go around comparing anyone who doesn't follow your system of 'honour' to murderers, or act like it's the only legitimate way to go about things. When it comes down to it, what's more important? Saving lives, or being 'honourable'?"

He held up a finger. "And another thing, what the hell is up with referring to people as 'ignorant civilians'? Talk about arrogant, much? I might be out of line, but you need to put a lid on arrogant shit like that. You're not better than normal people just because you're a knight, or whatever."

Giving a heavy sigh, Ari shook his head. "I'm sorry I blew up on you, man, but seriously. You're the one that got all aggro when I didn't disapprove of fighting dirty. 'Maybe we should start killing civilians' ring any bells? Hardly surprising that implication would make me mad, is it?"

as written by roomrider

Luth stood through the lecture with a semi-glazed look on his face. He wasn't too keen upon receiving a discourse from an initiate. What's more important between saving lives and keeping honor? Both are important, but it's most important to die with honor. And I'll 'put a lid' on my arrogance as soon as you do the same with your profanity. But none of that left the soldier's lips throughout Ari's talk. Instead, a smile began to etch itself onto Luth's face.

"I'm not holding my hand out here for my health, Initiate." A grin took over Luth's face as he recited the line.
The important thing right now wasn't to make a point, it was to stop from making a scene and coming out as the "righteous one". He was sure somebody had to have noticed by now, and Luth wanted to look the gentleman he ought to be.
"Besides, I doubt we'll be seeing combat anytime soon anyways." The knight's face fell slightly at his last statement.

as written by birdee10

Jake had been watching the back and forth with growing amusement, hiding a snicker behind carefully folded hands, elbows resting on the wood. Then, things went sour. Feelings got hurt, and, despite being new, he watched, ready to step in if things got hairy, especially because his name was brought up more than once. Thankfully things didn't get that far. Luth apologised, and, however begrudgingly Ari accepted.
It was good to know not everyone was a robot.
Very loudly, the Mage's stomach rumbled, demanding food to make up for the long hike.

as written by Script

The evening wore on, and those initiates that remained awake were provided with a simple but hearty meal prepared by the barracks' cooks. Some further introductions were made, but the journey had left many of them exhausted, and so it wasn't long before most were asleep.

The next day would hold their first real taste of life at Nasazura's Rest: both its perks, and its trials.

____

Dawn broke over the temple, and with it came a hearty cry of "Goooood morning, initiates!"

Oriel grinned as his yell prompted a medley of groans and curses from the later risers of the assembled group. Kallis had already been sat at the foot of his bed meditating, and cracked one eye open to watch Oriel make his way into the room.

The youthful-looking gunslinger - already fully dressed in the silver-trimmed verdant uniform of the Knights, complete with dashing midnight green cloak - crossed his arms across his chest and, satisfied that everyone had been sufficiently roused, continued. "Apologies to those of you who're new, but expect dawn to be your regular waking hour from hereon out!"

He paced down the row of beds until he reached the end of Trys' cot, where the greenskinned youth had pulled his pillow up over his head and was doing his best to ignore the fact that the morning existed, and sighed. "You've been here for the better part of a month now, Trys, I'd have thought you'd be used to this by now."

Muffled, Trys' voice came out from beneath his refuge. "I will never submit to your inhumane practices, tiny loud man. As they say in Prissy and Priscilla's homeland, vive la resistance!"

Oriel rolled his eyes. "Yeah. Okay. In any case... If anyone's already forgotten, you can find bathroom facilities and a washroom just downstairs through the eastern rooms. Breakfast is being served for the next thirty minutes down on the main floor, and the first training sessions start just after that, so don't take too long! Before that, though, Dame Lockhart will be in here in just a moment to brief you on the content of the day's training, so if you want to make a good first impression, get yourselves moving!"

His eyes slid across to Kallis, and he smiled to the early rising boy. "Kallis has the right of it. You're used to this sort of schedule, then?"

Kallis nodded. "I lived at a temple before now. The monks there had similarly disciplined routines."

"The poor guy's got stockholm syndrome," Trys grumbled.

"Oh, stop your whining." Ari fought back a yawn as he swung his legs out of bed and rubbed at his eyes. "You knew what you were signing up for when I brought you here."

Trys' only response was a wordless groan.

Back