Chronicles of The Omniverse Archived Nasazura's Rest: Main Temple

"I would imagine it wouldn't be a sin unless I was doing it knowingly," replied Lucian. "Otherwise I'd still be trustworthy. It's the knight's intent, not the act. The spell is well crafted as such. We would not want to condemn a knight who is truly innocent."

"That would make sense," Sarael mused. "Forgive me, I assumed that after learning of this person's nature you ceased your involvement with them. Might I inquire as to the specific nature of their 'less holiness', that I might have full context? If it is a case of the spell going awry, I may be able to assist in correcting it - though I would fully understand if you'd rather a stranger did not take such liberties as meddling with a treasured artefact."

"They... it was a vampire," replied Lucian. "I've not heard of the sort before coming here. He could form blood at his will and use it as a weapon. He... insisted that any crimes he committed in the past were only to ensure his own safety. I understood after we were both attacked once by a hunter," Lucian told them. "As for the sword... I'd rather correct it by my faith, if I may."

"Ah, a vampire ... and a hemomancer of some sort. Perhaps a blood mage." Sarael clicked his tongue thoughtfully. "Certainly, a volatile combination with a statistical predisposition towards questionable morals. I have yet myself to meet a vampire - the affliction did not survive within my home city after the fall, and I have not met one on Valore - but it is my understanding that aside from their dependence on human blood, there is no natural inclination towards evil. I am quite familiar with a blood mage, however, who is unquestionably a valiant and dependable friend. Their dangers come through a loss of control. Blood mages traffik with powers dangerously close to the demonic, and should their will falter, they risk being consumed by the dark powers that they wield."

The mage considered Lucian's statement further for a few moments. "Such a man is by no means inherently evil, but treads a dangerous line. Vampires depend on human blood for their lives. Blood mages can utilise both their own blood, and that of others, for power. It would be easy for such a combination to become ... a slippery slope."

He paused, then, looking up to meet the knight's gaze. "But what do you believe of him? Do you believe he is a good person?"

Lucian's eyes darted to the ground almost shyly as he thought of Sarael's question. His thumbs drummed atop the bowl in his hands. After a few moments a small, if pained, smile lit upon his face. "He was the first person who made me feel as though coming to this world wasn't a mistake. There was a period of time where I thought that maybe I'd come to this world for him. Um, them. Uh-" The knight's face flushed. "I slipped up before, too, didn't I?"

Sarael raised an eyebrow. "Slipped up?"

There was a small snort from Ari. "Oh, man. You don't have to worry about that here," he cut in over Sarael's obliviousness. "I swear it's like an LGBT society. I can count ... six guys off the top of my head who swing that way, or both ways? And that's just the ones I know well enough to be able to tell."

"Ah, I see. No," Sarael smiled, laughing to himself. "We certainly harbour no negative opinions based on who one loves here. In any case, you did not answer my question. You may decline to do so if you wish, of course, but your feelings towards him aside... do you think him to be a good person?"

The knight was almost taken aback, but he was mostly relieved. Things were so much different here.

"Well, I'm not sure I have an answer. I want to believe it. He showed me incredible things. I couldn't figure out a way to incriminate him. Not that I tried very hard to do so in the first place! But since the sword was acting so vehemently against him, I thought that there had to be a reason!"

"Hm, speaking from an objective point of view, I see two strong possibilities. The first is that you are correct, that this man has a good heart, and your oath's reaction is based purely upon his species or craft, as opposed to his actions. The second..." Sarael hesitated. "And, I apologise if this comes across as cruel. But the second likely possibility is that ... it is as you say. You want to believe that he is a good person, but you know at heart that he is not. You know that, and you knew that, and that is why your sword has turned against you. I do not believe such an oath would make allowances for denial."

"Owch..." Ari muttered. "Harsh. I mean, nobody's inherently evil, right?"

"... arguably, certain denizens of the lower planes or other entities with moralities hardcoded into their essence might-"

"Okay, nobody relevant to this discussion," Ari cut in, heading off Sarael's extrapolation.

"Ah. Philosophically speaking, no. Even a man who has performed evil acts, and harbors intent and desire to perform more, may not themselves be evil. If this man is not a good person now, it is likely that he has the potential to be. The relevance that this has to your oath, however ... I do not know." Sarael smiled apologetically. "It may be that Sylvire's wisdom can help you more."

Lucian's eyes clouded again. "Perhaps it was just not meant to be," he mumbled. "I can't say I had hopes. I wanted to hope that I could hope." He raised his eyes again to the two. "So... a meeting with Sylvire. Is she not dead? Ari spoke of spirits but... how does this work?"

"Within this temple lies a source of power, from which the souls of fallen heroes can be called in times of need. The Vanguard ... well, times of need are not limited to those of battle. The Order lacked for strong leadership, and our numbers were spread thin between training new recruits and performing our duties. And so until such a time as one of our living comrades grows into the role, Sylvire and her comrades have returned to aid us." Sarael explained.

"Also," Ari cut in. "You can still hope, right? I mean, I don't know how your sword works, but one of the big things with the Light is redemption, right? Am I getting that right?" He glanced across at Sarael, who nodded. "So yeah. If your sword's mojo is connected to it, that means that if he's redeemable ... you still have hope? And anyway, is it the end of the world if you can't use a magic sword anymore? If you love the guy, the sword can go, can't it?"

"An oath is not so simple as that, Ari..."

"I'm just saying, if a sword was telling me I couldn't love who I wanted to, first thing to go would be the sword." Ari shrugged. "That's just where my brain'd go."

"That would have been an easier decision," began Lucian. "Had I not been the only one to carry on Sozo's faith. That... could be why I was spared, after all. If ever I find a way back-"

That is where the choice stood for him, the knight realized. To chase Arien or to follow his faith. Suddenly, everything that was happening overwhelmed him. His faith, his questions, that Sozo was gone, his choice, the spirits of the fallen heroes-

He swooned to the side. "I don't mean to be hasty. May I find somewhere to rest?"

Sarael frowned with concern. "Of course. Ari, would you mind showing Lucian to a room? There are plenty of spare beds in the dormitories. And be sure to set him a fire. I'll speak to Sylvire. Hopefully, she'll be able to speak with you tomorrow morning, Lucian, so long as she is not assisting with any of the apprentices' classes."

Ari nodded, getting to his feet. "You uh, need a hand at all? Guess that mountain's finally catching up to you?"

"Many things are," replied the knight wearily. "I only ask you handle the sword. It burns only me. Thank you," he said. "Thank you both."

"Gotcha." Ari bent down and scooped up the sword, tentative at first until it was clear that it definitely wasn't going to burn him. After all, he was pretty sure he'd done plenty to not qualify as 'pure'. And knowingly slept with people that had done worse. "Right this way, then."

"I'm glad to have been of help," Sarael said, smiling. "Until tomorrow. Rest well."

Ari led Lucian out of the mess hall and once more into the corridors. After a few moments of silence, Ari spoke up. "So what's this guy's name?"

The knight wiped his hand down his cheek and moved sluggishly behind Ari. He seemed surprised at the question. "His name? It... it's Arien," he answered. "A handsome young man in an otherworldly sense. That should have been my first hint."

"Heh. Guess it runs in the name," Ari replied, winking over his shoulder, before his expression turned to a more serious frown. "But for what it's worth? With my limited understanding of this god stuff ... love can't be wrong, yeah? I mean, it can be misguided, it can be a mistake... but it can't be an inherently bad thing. Loving someone's never a crime, or a sin. 'Least, that's what I think."

He tapped his nose then with a grin, the moment of seriousness passing. "And that's coming from a demigod, so, you should listen to it."

Lucian paused, staring flatly at the teenager.

"You honestly can't be serious. No- after everything I've heard today, I can't be surprised." Everything he knew had crumbled just like before. No, it was worse this time. The Vanguard here in Valore was nothing short of impressive. "Well then, demigod. I'll be sure not to take your words too lightly."

"I mean, technically it's demi-demi-demi-demigod," Ari corrected himself, counting off the 'demis' on his fingers. "I calculated it, I'm three whole percent god. Which sounds impressive, but I'm probably even not one of the tougher people here. So it's more just a fun namedrop to get reactions like that."

He grinned another playful grin, rolling his shoulders in a shrug. "Who even defines what's a god and what isn't, anyway, right?" Then he paused, shaking his head. "Nah, that's way too heavy a question for a walk to a bedroom. Or ever, if I have the choice."

It wasn't long before they reached the dormitories, and Ari led Lucian into one of the rooms. Two beds lay within, as well as other basic furniture, but the room was devoid of any personal belongings. It was clearly not in use. "Welp, tada. It's not much, but it's better than where I'm sleeping, so count yourself lucky."

Lucian didn't answer Ari after that. He concentrated on following the teenager and staying on his feet.

Once they arrived at the room, Lucian took a brief glance around, then immediately began to remove his armor. Beneath it he had city clothes, casual things one wouldn't expect of someone who recently came from Aelora. "Anywhere I can lay my head is a godsend right now," breathed Lucian. He sat on the bed in a heap, then pointed to the spot in front of it. "Anywhere I won't touch the blade in my sleep is fine. Thank you for carrying it."

"S'alright," Ari said, smiling again as he set the sword down on top of a chest at the end of the bed, before making his way over to the fireplace and working on getting a fire going. "I've gotten used to running errands since I got here. Apparently it's character building. Like staying in a barracks full of weirdos. And Trys. Full of Trys. I'd take fifty more weirdos before one of him."

He chuckled, clearly not altogether that serious about his complaints. Before long there was a small blaze going in the fireplace, and Ari stepped back. "I'll leave you to rest, I guess. Uh, if you need anything, just try and catch someone in the halls. If nobody's in the mess hall, there's usually at least one person being a nerd in the library at all hours of the night."

With that, unless Lucian had further questions or comment, Ari departed - leaving him to his rest, and his thoughts.

Back