Chronicles of The Omniverse Archived Naseni: Naseni Forest

Script

Adorable Homewrecker
Benefactor
as written by Script

The trail leading through Naseni forest was winding and in places overgrown, though it was obvious it had seen a boom in traffic lately. Plants that looked to have recently extended onto the track were pushed back and trodden on, others had been trimmed. Even with this increase in travel, however, the forest remained largely untamed, encroaching on the paved path in new places or from beneath through cracks in the stonework.

Seiji, who hadn't seemed to lose a mite of energy over the course of the entire journey, continued to lead the way. The journey had been, by and large, uneventful. Aside from a detour to avoid the road along the edge of Lake Yosai after some locals warned them of dangerous kappa activity, things had gone smoothly. They had spent nights in Tsuribazu and Yosai townships along the way, setting off from the latter a few hours ago. Now it was just gone midday, and the sun shone down brightly through the cracks in the trees (though those cracks were swiftly dwindling as they pushed further into the forest).

Along with Kinaro and Junwei, Seiji had picked up another pair of companions since entering the forest - a brown and patterned fox that trotted along parallel to them just off the trail, and a field mouse that dozed upon his hat. It hadn't been clear exactly why the animals started following them, but apparently Seiji's infectious enthusiasm wasn't limited to humans. He had run up to the critters as one might expect a much younger child to, and rather than fleeing, they had started to follow. He occasionally spoke to them, though they showed no signs of understanding.

"So anyway," the young boy was saying, "Yan'Xin village is a veeery spiritual place." he nodded his head solemnly, "The people who live there are very strict about people respecting the forest spirits, and spirits in general. That's why the festival is so important here. They have their own shrine and everything! I came here once before with my brother, and almost got lost in the woods wandering, so you two be careful! If I can get lost, then you'll definitely get lost. The forest spirits are tricksy, and like to tease travellers who go off the beaten path."

Seiji's expression betrayed no humour - it was clear that he believed every word he was saying. Whether it was true or not was another matter. After all, he'd never mentioned how long ago it was since he was last here. And children do like to make up stories to explain themselves getting lost.

Last edited by a moderator:
as written by ConnorTavarin

Kinaro followed close behind, staying rather silent. He spent a lot of the journey not saying much of anything, in fact. Occasionally he kneels down to pet the fox that had followed them if it would let him. He looked side to side, taking in the forest surroundings, smiling beneath his mask. The beams of sunlight that pierced the treeline were beautiful and relaxing to gaze upon. Their travels, while uneventful, gave him a peace he's been longing for. Someone to listen to and someone to travel alongside with. He was a little disappointed, however, that they skipped past the lake. Kinaro was actually curious to see the kappa.

As Seiji spoke of the festival and Yan'Xin Village, Kinaro kept in mind to respect the local customs and beliefs, even if they seemed far-fetched. He couldn't wait to see what the shrine was like, or what the whole festival was like. Not wanting to get lost, he stayed close to Seiji. "What do these spirits look like, if they have any sort of form at all? Are they humanoid? Do they look like animals? I'm very curious." he says, walking along the verdant trail of the forest. Occasionally he would brush his hand along a tree trunk. Kinaro had a certain respect for nature, and this journey was not at all tiring for him.

While he waited for Seiji's response, he reflected on the last few days. While he may have been quiet, he still spoke enough to Seiji and Junwei in an attempt to know more about them. Seiji was the more talkative of the two, but he and Junwei shared a couple of conversations together, usually during meals.

as written by Moonscar

"The forest spirits should learn that tricking certain wanderers would be a mistake," growled Junwei, peering through the woods for the fox. Once he found it, he let his gaze carry to the small mouse atop the child's hat, then, finally, to the child himself. With narrowed eyes, he swept his gaze forward, just peering over Kinaro's head. He had been silent for the bulk of the trip, pardoning a small comment here or there.

"Indeed. What does one consider a spirit? I've met many on my travels," he inquired, alongside Kinaro.

as written by Script

"There are all sorts of spirits," Seiji said, "Some like to take physical forms in animals or plants, or even people! Others you wouldn't know were there unless you reeally knew what you were looking for, all you might notice would be a subtle tug in one direction or another." As he spoke, the boy hopped onto a mossy log and stuck his arms out to either side for balance as he walked along it. "Animal spirits can range from as lowly as a real mouse, or they might be powerful and wise, and be revered by animals as a god. Often-times their powers are limited to being really tough and scary, and being able to talk, but otherwise they can be just like animals. They just happen to be able to hop over to the spirit world! Or, I suppose it's more like they hop over to our world, since the spirit world is their home..."

Seiji mused on that thought for a moment before continuing. "Then there are nature spirits, those can be the spirits of specific trees or plants, or they might be spirits of air, water, things as broad as that. The broader their domain, the more powerful they tend to be. So a tree spirit might not be able to do much away from their tree, but a forest spirit might have influence over a whole forest, and an earth spirit would be even stronger! The more nature powerful spirits can take pretty much whatever shape they feel like, but usually prefer animals, 'cause they're closer to nature than us, what with all our factories and chopping wood and stuff."

He paused in thought, "Then there are the most powerful spirits of all, celestial spirits. They're the spirits of the stars, and they normally take the shape of dragons! Nobody's ever seen one in person, though, at least nobody in our lifetime. There are lots of stories about them though. Oh! And I almost forgot, as well as those spirits, there are some that people would call demons, but are actually just another sort of spirit. Yokai is one word for them, and they come in all sorts of varieties. Big ogre-things called oni, shapeshifting foxes called kitsune, and more different types than I can name! They tend to be much more dangerous than normal spirits, since they're darker and interact more with humans for entertainment or other reasons."

It seemed that the boy was a positive well of knowledge on spirits, certainly an odd field of expertise for one so young.

Kinaro listens with great interest to Seiji's tale of spirits and Yokai. He thinks about what kinds of things could possibly show what one is despite how subtle the difference is. Now more actively looking around, Kinaro wants to meet one of these spirits, or even a Yokai "Do you think spirits and Yokai can be comparable to us? People, I mean. Who's to say a Yokai is necessarily dangerous or evil? Maybe misunderstood or maybe subject of dark tales of them? If so...that doesn't seem very fair at all now does it?" he says, now looking up at the sky. If there was anything Kinaro wants to think he is, is that he is one who sees the best in others unless he doesn't have a reason to. Those subject to bad circumstance...those held down by prejudice...he hated the idea of others being in those situations.

He leans down to pet the fox again before continuing his walk with the others. Occasionally he would brush his fingers against his mask before letting out a solemn sigh. Even he doesn't know why he wears it, all he knows is that he's terrified of the concept of anyone seeing what lies beneath it for one reason or another. Try as he might, he can't remember what his face looks like. After his question, he remains silent as he walks alongside Seiji and Junwei.

as written by Sentry

Junwei cleared his throat as the child spoke, eyeing him suspiciously. "How potent your knowledge is in this subject. I would think such a thing would be boring to one so young. They must have locked you in classrooms and libraries until you learned up on the subject," he said to him. "Who knows what other knowledge you might have, tiny scholar."

as written by Script

Seiji nodded to Kinaro. "Yokai are definitely not all evil! I met a kitsune once who was very nice! We travelled together for a while and everything. But it is true to say that there are more yokai who don't like humans, or like to mess with them than other spirits, if only because yokai are more like humans than other spirits usually are!"

At Junwei's comment he giggled, shaking his head. "Boring? No no, not at all! And besides, I didn't learn all that from libraries!" the boy wagged a finger, "Nobody learns anything from musty old men going on all boring-like with their musty old tomes, aieee. That's a nightmare if I ever heard one!"

He hopped down off of the other side of the log, lifting one hand to let the field mouse run along his arm and down to his shoulder. "I learned what I know from listening to interesting people on the road! Well, okay, some of it was from boring people back at home, but most of it is from much more interesting people than teachers!"

Seiji gave Junwei a knowing smirk, "And who does know? Only me, of course! I know more than people give me credit for, ahah! Also! I am not that tiny!" The youth brought himself up to his full, entirely unimpressive height and looked up defiantly at Junwei, before frowning. "Aiee, maybe to you I am tiny! But you are too big, it's cheating!"

Satisfied with the answer he was given, Kinaro continues to follow silently. He respected Seiji's intelligence and wisdom for his age and that he was still able to have a whimsical attitude about things. He liked the idea that the best teachers weren't just professors or masters, but the people you meet during travels. He smiles at the slight banter Junwei and Seiji have and Seiji's reaction to his height. Kinaro himself wasn't a short person either, standing at an impressive 6'4, but was more lanky than muscular. It made his looming figure almost intimidating, but his calm voice and demeanor betray his appearance.

That said, being frightening is not his intent, it was simply to hide himself. Whenever he was silent for long periods of time, he was actually pondering why he was so afraid of himself and why he couldn't allow people to see him. It worried him greatly that even he did not know the reasons behind it. Despite this, he kept walking with the two, willing to help out in any way he could if he was needed.

as written by Moonscar

Junwei couldn't suppress the grin that slid across his face as the child compared their heights. "Not as big as some, still," he told Seiji, lifting his chin. "But bigger than you by far."

He passed his gaze onto Kinaro. "So quiet. I thought I was supposed to be the foreboding, silent figure," he joked, smirking at the end. "Are you afraid to speak about yourself?"

as written by Script

"Pahh!" Seiji batted at Junwei's hand as the larger man lifted his chin, "Don't dooo that! It's embarrassing!" he protested, "I'm no little kid, you know! I'm older than I look!"

As they walked, the trees around them grew less overgrown, as the track they had been on merged onto a paved road leading through the forest. The edges of the road were decorated with hanging lanterns and lights, though they hung unlit due to the time of day. "Ahh! We are nearly there, these are festival decorations!" Seiji proclaimed gleefully, clapping his hands together.

He paused in walking to turn towards the fox that had been following them. "I am guessing that you will want to return to your home now that we've nearly reached the village!" he said to the animal, nodding his head. "Thank you for walking with us! It was an honour!"

Yipping in what could have been acknowledgement of Seiji's words, the fox turned on a heel and disappeared back into the trees.

"What about you, little mouse?" the boy questioned, lifting a hand for the field mouse to clamber onto. "Will you be going, too?"

In response, the mouse clambered down Seiji's arm and hopped back up onto his hat. He giggled, "I'll take that as a no, then!" he said. "Ahh, are you both excited? I know I am! Today is the first day of the carnival in Tianshi, so things will be getting into full swing here as well!"

Kinaro slowly followed behind the two, looking up when he heard Junwei's question. Remaining silent for a moment longer, he finally answers "...I can't tell you anything about me. If I do, you would no longer travel with me....just like many others. They abandon me whenever they discover my true self, something that is hidden even from myself. Please do not ask about it further." he says quietly, seeming rather distraught that Junwei even asked. He watches as the fox departs, a little saddened by that, but he understands that the forest is its home.

Looking up at the festival decorations seemed to raise his spirits slightly as he is now excited to see how things in the village are going. He wonders what kinds of activities or events will take place during the festival. He remains quiet as they proceeded further into the village. He heard several people whispering about him. It seemed his reputation reached out further than he had initially thought. At that point he picks up the pace, staying close to Junwei and Seiji, almost as if he didn't want so many eyes on him. He didn't mind speaking to one or two people, but he couldn't handle so many people looking at him.

as written by Moonscar

Junwei raised a long, thin brow as high as it would go, his curiosity struck by such a reply. Though more questions danced on his tongue, he kept them to himself. He gave Kinaro a solid nod in understanding.

Perhaps he was the same way. Not many people would want to travel with creatures like him. Then again, these two weren't like many people, he was beginning to find out.

"Excited. I don't know if that's the word that comes to mind. I am willing to participate and..." As they strode toward the village, Junwei's gaze swept around, sparking thoughts. Villages meant people. Half those people, likely women, "... I am interested in further looking into the sights."

"Spirits? That's odd...I'm surprised they wouldn't reside here for a time during the festival. Whatever's going on, I don't like it." Kinaro said, still chasing after Seiji. Not only was he curious as to what was going on, he didn't want his friend to be alone with a swarm of spirits. With strengthened resolve, he flew above the treeline so he could keep up with Seiji more efficiently. He was still able to see him as he darted passed the trees of the forest. Though there were pressing matters at the moment, the feeling of flying again was a welcome experience.

as written by Sentry

"Is there anywhere nearby that the spirits flock to? Anywhere at all that the child might be lead to? Shrines, landmarks, a blessed pond, anything?" he hissed, increasing his pace as much as he could. Human limitations, even enhanced, were annoying to say the least.

as written by Script

"I'm as in the dark as you are. There are any number of places he could be going in this forest." Nariko replied, though there wasn't concern in her voice - she sounded, if anything, excited.

The chase led them deeper and deeper into the forest, where the sounds of the festival were long behind them and only the relentless pounding of feet in the undergrowth punctuated the silence of the night air. It was abysmally dark, with only the stars overhead providing any light, but Seiji managed to avoid tripping as he ran despite that.

They had to have run for miles before the boy broke into a clearing and came stumbling to a halt, panting with exhaustion.

The clearing was fairly large, and a small stream ran through it just off-centre, winding around a few rock formations. A waterfall from a steep rise at the far side fed into it, a rocky ridge about thirty feet high that formed one edge of the clearing. In its side was a strange sight - what appeared to be a man-made structure, a crudely carved archway in the side, with a massive boulder placed before it, blocking access.

After catching his breath, Seiji moved forwards towards it, wading through the ankle-deep water of the stream to reach it. Once there, he simply stopped and stared up at it in apparent awe.

Above the archway, hundreds - if not thousands - of tiny spirits were swarming and circling, diving towards the opening and then sweeping away in an excitable dance. To those that could see them, it cast the entire clearing in an eerie bright light, contrasting with the darkness beyond.

"Wow." Seiji breathed.

After Seiji finally stopped running, Kinaro swooped down and landed, folding his wings in a cloak-like fashion. With the sheer amount of spirits in the area, even Kinaro could feel bits and pieces of their presence. Gazing at the structure, he was immediately interested in figuring out what this was doing in the middle of nowhere. He couldn't help but laugh "Seiji, next time you decide to go on an adventure following lights and spirits, let us know alright? You were worrying us sick." he said.

Pacing around the structure, he tried to figure out what exactly it was. Was it a place of worship? Was some kind of powerful spiritual artifact hidden here? So many questions, so many possibilities. Discovering this places secrets was definitely on his list now, but not before he determined it was safe and that Seiji was alright. Walking up to Seiji, he asked "Are you okay? You ran for miles...if you need to sit down and take a break, by all means."

as written by Sentry

Junwei had made it a few minutes after them, his breath ragged and his lungs shrived into raisins. However, when he finally caught up with the two, it didn't take him long to recover. He walked up to the shrine and followed their eyes, but saw...

Nothing.

He vibrantly felt the spirits around him, but there were no gorgeous lights. Junwei walked after Kinaro and Seiji, chiding, "What's wrong with you? You had us running forever to see this?"

as written by Script

Achaeos arrived in the clearing just after Kinaro, stopping short of the stream and eyeing the archway before them suspiciously.

Seiji turned his head to look up at Kinaro, blinking slowly as though coming out of a trance. "Huh?" he questioned, before his knees wobbled and he abruptly half-fell, half-sat down onto the grond. "Oof..." he groaned, "I ran miles? Aaaahh... my legs buuurn. Running is hard work." he whined, flailing backwards to flop onto the ground, lying down and staring up at the starry night sky.

"They're so pretty..." he whispered as the spirits buzzed above them.

Achaeos remained silent, frowning in thought. There was something not quite right about this place, but he couldn't put his finger on it.

When Junwei arrived, Seiji tilted his head back to watch the larger man approach. He appeared sheepish at his chiding. "I didn't mean to!" he protested, "I don't even remember running that far..."

After that, he smiled brightly, however. "You guys followed me, though! You're super awesome friends!" he exclaimed.

Nariko had entered the clearing with Junwei, and she stopped next to Achaeos, following his gaze up at the boulder-covered archway. "A strange place indeed, Aki." she mused, grinning, "How curious. I wonder what has all our brethren so riled up."

Ahead of them, Seiji's smile shifted swiftly into a frown. "I .. we need to move the boulder!" he suddenly announced, scrambling to his feet, "Help me move it! Come on!"

The boy ran over to where the boulder blocked the archway and began to push against the massive rock, to predictably little effect. That didn't seem to stop him straining against it, however, trying all manner of different positions to push it.

This was a dilemma for Kinaro. For one, he wanted to help his friend, but the implications of their actions here may be longstanding and perhaps even not the right thing to do. What if this was here for a reason and contained things they were not supposed to see? "Perhaps we should figure out what this structure is first....perhaps the elder back in the village knows." he said. Remembering how far away the village was now, Kinaro sighed "But...the village is so far away now. Seiji, stand back." he said, stepping over to the boulder. He placed his hands on it and began his attempt at moving it. As he did so, heat emanated from his body as his hands became more draconic, his claws nearly piercing the boulder's surface as he struggled to move it. Whether or not he could do it or if it was even a good idea to was still the question of the day, but Seiji was his friend and he wanted to do what he could. He felt the same as Achaeos in this situation, feeling that something was wrong with this place, but was confident they could handle what would come next.

as written by Sentry

There was a growling deep within Junwei's chest as Seiji treated the incident as nonchalantly as ever. He closed his eyes and breathed out slowly - one could almost see steam blowing out from his nostrils. He opened one eye and glared at the child as he moved past him. In his fit he could not even bother with the foxes that had followed them.

"You could use some help," the man said to Kinaro, moving to also place his hands on the boulder, muscles popping as he tried to move it along with the dragonkin.

Back