Chronicles of The Omniverse Archived Naseni: Yan'Xin Village Square

Script

Adorable Homewrecker
Benefactor
as written by Script and Sentry

It was approaching evening in Yan'Xin village, and the festival was starting to pick up in pace. The smell of fresh food filled the air as the various stalls offered their wares to the attendees, and music was picking up from a spread of performers. The village square had been set up in preparation for the more formal events of the evening, and a large square stage had been set up on one side, with access from the village hall. Only the edge of the square had stalls set up on it, with the centre reserved for dancing later on.

Masked people flocked through the streets, some sitting at the tables of a corner-cafe, others playing carnival games at various stalls, others still just enjoying the sights and the companionship.

As Junwei was perusing the festival's sights - or more precisely, its ladies - he drew the attention of one person in particular. As the giggles of a particularly mature looking fifteen-year-old left the man behind, the girl in question thoroughly amused by his antics, a woman in a white fox mask made her way over to him.

"Hello there, stranger," she said, her voice sweet and gentle beneath the mask. Long brown hair fell out from behind it, over a semi-traditional outfit... one with a notably shortened skirt. A katana was conspicuously sheathed at her hip. "You don't seem to be having much luck." she remarked with a laugh.

____

Junwei leaned an arm up against a stall, smirking lazily. "And would you be the one to change my luck?" he asked, giving her a once-over. Though she seemed fairly young, Junwei had a hope that she was at least more than a particularly mature fifteen year old. It would be just his luck if she turned out to be younger.

"That's quite a nice mask you have there. Foxes seem to be a bit popular."

____

Nariko chuckled coyly, "You'll need more than luck." she replied, folding her arms. "But you never know... And yes, well. Foxes have a lot going for them, after all. Beauty, cunning, wit. The full package."

The woman trailed around Junwei and brought a hand up to brush his mask. "I've not seen another mask like yours around. It's ... fierce." she murmured, "It suits you, though. Very well."

Beneath the mask, she was smirking.

____

More than luck? Well, Junwei certainly had the charm. Or so he believed.

The man smirked, bringing the mask across his face. "So I've been told," he chuckled. "There's much more to the dragon that that, however. As I'm sure there's more to the fox. I'm curious enough to want to learn."

____

Another chuckle. "A lot more." she replied, "Tell me, traveller. What brings you to the festival here tonight?"

Nariko drifted back a few steps to place a more respectable distance between them. "Just the reputation of the village? Or something more... unlikely?" She placed a thoughtful finger to her chin, "You strike me as someone with a story behind them, but one that pales in comparison to the story left to tell..."

She tilted her head. "What thread of your story led you here, now of all times, I wonder?"

____

"A chance meeting with a small boy. He was being robbed, so I thought I should be the good guy and come to his rescue," Junwei hummed. He took just one step toward her. He smirked. "A story? Now, aren't I the one who should be coaxing more out of you?" The man purred. "I don't think my story will be a riveting..."

____

"How noble of you," Nariko remarked, leaning back on one leg with a small chuckle. "That would be the child you arrived with, I suppose? A strange one, that. There's more to him than meets the eye, I think. Much as there is with you. It's so often the chance, coincidental meetings that become the most important."

She drifted away a few steps again flightily before going on. "Perhaps your story isn't yet. But I have a feeling it'll have many twists and turns before it's through." Finally, she paused and turned to offer him a bow. "The name's Nariko. I'm a traveller, much like yourself."

____

"Yes, that little one," replied Junwei. He stared at Nariko, stepping toward her as she stepped away once more. Though she was backing up, she didn't seem to be pushing him away.

"Junwei," he said, deeply bowing at the waist. "I don't suppose you're here with anyone?"

____

"No..." Nariko replied, though she paused as though thinking it over, "Not as such. I think an old friend is in town... but we don't really talk any more."

She stepped closer to him, brushing past - it was almost like a dance they wove around each other, with both their movements and their words. As she passed him, she paused again, "The boy... keep an eye on him. Have an eye for the unexpected." she murmured quietly, before she moved on another few steps.

"Will I see you at the dancing later?" she inquired after she had stopped.

____

"That was already on my agenda. Perhaps it is more important than I fist suspected," he grinned, peering at Nariko through the corner of his eye as she passed by him. Oh, she did like to tease.

He lifted his head and turned half around to raise a brow. He scratched his chin, musing at the sky before grinning again, sharp canines baring.

"I wouldn't miss it for the world."

____

"Good." Nariko grinned beneath her mask, letting out another chuckle. "Because I have a feeling that's when things are going to get really interesting."

She turned back to face him for a moment, "I'll see you there, then... Wildfire."

And then she stepped into the crowd. For a brief moment, she was obscured as a small group walked between her and Junwei. When they had passed, she was gone. Nowhere to be seen.

Last edited by a moderator:
as written by Script and ConnorTavarin

Activity began to build in the village square as the time of the dance approached. The crowds filled out with men and women dressed in extravagant traditional outfits, all wearing masks. The music being played on the stage nearby switched from the ambient calm it had been previously to a more energetic beat, and people took to the centre of the square to dance.

The majority of people still hung back around the edges of the square, where food and drink stalls were scattered around in significant numbers. They were waiting for the village elder to take the stage and make his speech, which would announce the formal beginning of the dancing.

Seiji smiled brightly at Kinaro, taking a hearty bite of the rice ball. "Mmf, thanks!" he said, muffled through the mouthful. He listened to the other man as they ate, before swallowing his last mouthful with a gulp.

"Don't be so silly!" The boy exclaimed, "I've been friends with all sorts of people before, from oni to dragon-kin. I don't care what you look like!" Seiji beamed at Kinaro and threw his arms around the taller man for a hug. "You're my friend, silly!"

____

Looking down at Seiji as he hugged him, he couldn't help but feel blessed that he has such a friend. He's done nothing but act mysterious and distant aside from a few random acts of kindness, but he's still valued so. "Thank you, Seiji." he says sincerely. Looking to the stage, he sees the elder prepare his speech while others are already dancing. He also noticed Junwei within the crowd of people. "There have been many...strange people around as of late, and not because of the festival. Something's happening, Seiji. And soon." he says in a tone that indicates a warning. To lighten the mood, he says "Come on, let's go talk to Junwei." before walking up to him, giving a slight wave.

____

Junwei approached them both with a lazy smirk on his face. He certainly seemed pleased with himself. After all the earlier effort, he'd finally caught one. Hook, line and... well, not much more just yet.

He pushed his mask to the side and folded his arms, nodding to Seiji and Kinaro. "Hello," he greeted them. "What have you all been up to?"

As much as he would have loved to tell them all about the attractive fox lady he'd encountered, he was keeping to himself. Not that it didn't show. Keeping the attention of them, however. That was the goal.

____

"I think you're right." Seiji replied absently as Kinaro mentioned strange happenings. "The spirits are gathering in anticipation of something big."

Then he smiled, and followed after Kinaro to go to Junwei. "Hi Junwei! You should have come with us! We met a cool fox-mask guy, then Kinaro won the heck out of Dragon's Breath and got a massive," here the boy stretched his arms out as wide as they'd go to indicate the size "toy dragon as a prize! But he gave it to a little kid 'cause he's nice like that! Then we got our fortunes read, and the fortune teller told me that things are going well for me, and there's going to be a lot of happiness in my future! But then I got hungry, so I said we should come here, and then we ate food and then we saw you! And now we're here, and you're up to date!"

Seiji took a breath. "What have you been up to, Junwei?" he asked with a grin.

____

Kinaro simply smiled as Seiji excitedly told Junwei about the day, scratching the back of his head when he mentioned him giving the dragon plush as a gift. "Oh, that was nothing, really." he said, chuckling. He was probably blushing. He turns away to finish his food before readjusting his mask and turning back to them. "The fortune teller told me to count my blessings and rid myself of self-limiting behaviors, so my fortune wasn't so positive." he sighs. He decides not to dwell on it for too long "Anyway, I'm sure whatever she meant will come to pass. I hope your day was just as eventful." he said, smiling at Junwei.

____

The man tried to suppress a chuckle, though his shoulders did bob in his effort. "That is rather eventful," he hummed. He eyed Kinaro after hearing what the fortune teller said to him. "Curious fortune. Not as much a fortune as advice, hmm?"

"As for myself... well. I could count myself as especially fortunate," he bragged, arms folded across his chest. "But that is between the lovely lady that I met earlier, and myself."

____

Seiji giggled, "Oooh, Junwei found a lady-friend!" he exclaimed, "How exciting! Where is she? Did she go to get something to eat? Is it her?" he pointed across at a random female passer-by, "Was she pretty? What did she look like?"

The flood of questions seemed wont to continue unabated, before a hush fell over the crowd. Seiji picked up on it, and perked up to glance towards the stage next to the village hall. A figure in long white robes was descending the steps of the hall, short but with her head held high. She was an elderly woman, with grey hair that was cut in a messy looking bob. She arrived on the stage, and approached the podium where a microphone had been set up.

She stopped at the microphone, and glanced up at it, frowning when she noticed it was too high. One of the younger festival organisers moved towards the stage to lower it, but the woman simply lifted her hand and bopped the microphone firmly, sending a boom of noise echoing through the square, and knocking it down the stand to come to rest at just the right height. She nodded with satisfaction, as a laugh rippled through the crowd.

"People of Yan'Xin, and tourists from afar come to leech off of our festivities," she began, her voice rough but laced with humour. Again, the crowd laughed, though some of those from farther afield exchanged confused glances. "Welcome to the official beginning of the Spirit Festival. The shops started selling crappy merchandise months ago, and you've all been hanging over-the-top decorations from our wonderful traditional architecture for weeks, but it's today that the actual traditional part begins!"

She cleared her throat. "Those of you who don't know, my name is Xi Tora, and I'm the elder of this village. That means I'm in charge, so when I cut in front of you in line for snacks, you don't complain!

Now, I wasn't born in Yan'Xin, or even this forest. I'm from an Island off the coast of Losenji, but I've been living here for more years than I can remember. And I mean that literally! My memory isn't what it used to be, after all. But no matter where I've lived, the spirit festival has always been important. We don't see it all the time, but the spirits are involved in everything. They're in the air we breathe, the water we drink, the stars in the sky and the stone we stand on. We couldn't live as we do without them."

She took a long breath, reaching into a pouch at her hip and pulling out a pipe, that she proceeded to light and take a few puffs from before continuing. "Ah. Better. Where was I? Right, spirits or something. Yes! We couldn't live without the spirits, not as easily as we do now, anyway! But that pales in comparison to what it'd be like if we pissed 'em off! That's what this festival's about, when it comes down to it. Not the masks, or the food, or the fun. It's about taking precautions to avoid ticking off the powerful beings upon which our way of life depends! Hah! Not so jolly now, are you?"

More outsiders exchanged confused glances, whilst locals and those visitors who'd been to the festival before laughed. Seiji was giggling.

"Pah, fine, stay jolly. Shows what you know." the elder's face was lit up with a lively grin, despite her words. "Now, I know everyone's aching to get to the dancing and drinking part of the night, so I'll skip the rest of the speech and get to the ritual."

Without a word, she stuck her hand out expectantly, as one of the organisers ran forwards with a wooden goblet, wrapped in vines and leaves. She took it, and held it aloft. "In this goblet I carry the lifeblood of the forest, the sap that flows through the trees as blood flows through us!" she called out, before she set it down upon the podium. "Now, I offer the forest my own blood, representing the life of our people!"

She stepped back from the goblet, and spread her arms out in a sweeping gesture, twisting her palms as though coaxing the goblet. Responding to her movements, the vines unwound from the goblet, stretching outwards like tendrils. Some of the crowd gasped, as the vines hung in the air for a moment, before diving towards her. They struck her wrists, sinking into her skin and merging with her. Though she winced in pain, she did not flinch. After a moment, the vines pulled back, glistening red. No obvious wounds had been left on Tora's arms. The vines retracted to the goblet and dipped themselves in the sap contained within, the blood they had drawn from her merging with it as she stepped forwards once more.

"Humanity and nature mix together in this goblet, as we mix with the spirits of the world, the forest and the land. We are not two entities, but one, joined together. We depend on it, and in turn, we protect it. With the blessing of the spirits, the coming summer will grant us prosperity and happiness! For this we thank the spirits, and dedicate this night to them."

Throughout the ceremony, festival volunteers had been clearing people away from the ground immediately before the stage, and now there was a sizable area of clear space directly in front of where Tora was stood. The elderly woman gestured forwards, and a rumbling followed.

"Watch this!" Seiji whispered eagerly, "This is the best part!"

Not a moment after he had spoken, the ground split asunder. Branches and leaves poured forth from the earth in a tide of green and brown, shooting upwards like a blossoming flower. "Spirits!" Tora yelled over the creaking and rustling of the great plant being, "Take this gesture of our reverence, and be appeased!"

She spread her arms, and the goblet sailed from her hands towards the mass of foliage, and was swallowed within. The response was immediate. The thrashing vines ceased to thrash, much to the relief of the panicking visitors who were nearby, only stopped from fleeing by the lack of fear the locals near them displayed. After a moment, the great plant began to retract into the ground as quickly as it had burst forth, and in a few seconds, it was gone, leaving the earth unscarred.

Silence hung over the square for several long moments, before Tora cleared her throat.

"Right then." she said, taking a puff of her pipe. "I hereby declare the festival officially in full swing!" she called, to a chorus of cheers. The elderly woman leaped forwards off the stage, grinning. "Whoever's the first to hand me a bottle of Sake gets a tax rebate!" she exclaimed, cackling.

Around Seiji, Junwei and Kinaro, the crowd began to dissolve away back to the festival happenings, though a greater number moved towards the center of the square as a group of musicians took to the stage where Tora had been and began to play, fast-paced traditional music that was loud enough to make holding a conversation require shouting.

Seiji giggled, "How about that then?!" he exclaimed, "Bet you weren't expecting that!"

____

Awed by the speech and the event that unfolded before him, Kinaro bowed his head respectfully. The unity between the living world and the spirit world...it was a sight to behold and he felt his previous tensions ease away. There is peace in unity, and he valued peace above all else. As the festivities continued with even more energy than before, he allowed himself to laugh happily "This truly is a great festival! The elder seems like a great woman. Humorous, accepting of new traditions as long as the old goes untarnished...the community here is just amazing." he says.

After he noticed how accepting the villagers were of the ceremony despite how frightening it would be to the average person, Kinaro seemed to gain a new confidence. Finally he lowers his hood, revealing white hair and small, black horns. Next he removed his mask, showing his face for the first time. He was young, and his dark blue eyes were draconic in appearance. The pupils give an intimidating gaze regardless of his expression, but it was luckily balanced by the confident smile he carried now. Staring at the mask, he sighs "I've been...scared for far too long. I have to stop hiding myself."

as written by Sentry

What a scene unfolded in front of Junwei's eyes. He and Issaku had always lived too far, lived too hard, to be able to come to such a faraway place to celebrate, or even care about, such a festival. Though the place wasn't filled with flickering light shows and blaring electronic music, the man found himself enjoying the magic of the festival much more appealing. Though he'd have to be coaxed strongly to admit it, he felt immediately uplifted as the plants sprouted from the ground and the blood was offered to it. There was a change in him. He wasn't sure what. He turned to face his group, then, trying to not it linger.

Junwei's reaction was standard, in regards to Kinaro, for a man of his kind. An eyebrow arched, his chin tilted up, and a small hum was made deep in his throat.

"I didn't expect dragon. Fox, perhaps."

as written by Script

Seiji watched Kinaro pull his hood down with poorly concealed excited anticipation. When it was done, he beamed, clapping his hands. "Yay! Aiee, I don't know what you were so worried about! Your hair is so pretty! And your eyes!" he exclaimed, "I've met lots of people who look much more dramatically different to 'normal'..." here he stuck his fingers up to emphasise how little he thought of the term, "and they were all beautiful in their own way!"

He laughed, "Now come on, you two!" he made an attempt to grab their arms, and tug them towards the dance in a merry skip. "Let's go dance! C'mon!"

Across on the other side of the 'dance floor' that the square's central plaza had become, Nariko watched the trio with a smirk upon her face hidden behind her mask. "How very interesting. They are a curious group, don't you think? Oh, do stop trying to hide from me. You've never been very good at it."

Achaeos stepped clear of the crowd behind her with his arms folded behind his back, glancing at her. "What are you doing here, Nariko?" he asked, his tone stern.

"Why, I imagine the very same thing as you, Aki." Nariko laughed musically, stepping forwards and twirling to face the long-haired man, trailing a finger over his chest. "Waiting to see what happens..."

And with that, she strode out into the square. As she moved into the dance, she began to move with it, gracefully stepping along with the movements of the dances being performed whilst seamlessly making a beeline towards Junwei.

as written by ConnorTavarin

Kinaro gets pulled along by Seiji, laughing at a mixture of things. For one it was Seiji's upbeat and outgoing attitude as well as his acceptance towards him. He gladly began his dancing, mimicking what the other dancers were doing and throwing in a few of his own motions as well. His happiness was sincere and he could finally be at peace with what he was. "Thank you, the both of you." he said to Seiji and Junwei "Unlike some dragons I've...never really figured out how to fully become a human. I've still got some scales showing, my eyes, horns...I've even had to bind my wings down." he said, scratching the back of his head before he continued dancing. He would say thank you again, but he didn't want to be overbearing with it. He simply let his mood do the talking. Though while he danced, he made sure not to neglect his watch over the area for anything that could happen. He's happy, but the world and its troubles are not going to stop just because of that. Still, he tried his best to keep his spirits high at this moment, which he thought was most important.

as written by Sentry

"Now... wait here! My ability to dance is hindered without an attractive woman nearby," he complained, grimacing as he was pulled along into the crowd. He looked around frantically for Nariko, and once he couldn't find her, glanced at his company like a kicked puppy. "Attractive women are hip-looseners, too."

Once again he gazed out to find the young lady from earlier, and it was then a sly smirk slithered across his face.

"Ah, and there she is."

as written by Script

"I think it's good!" Seiji noted with a laugh, dancing freely with not a care for any observers. It was clear that he was familiar with the routines, and though he wasn't particularly good at them, he made up for it with enthusiasm. "You look fine just the way you are! All those things about you are pretty or cool, so there's no need to try and look more human. Humans are boring anyway, I should know, I am one!" He giggled.

"And Junweeeiiii, don't be such a peeerv all the time! Aiee, you don't need to make dancing all about that sort of thing!"

A musical laugh cut in as Nariko drew closer to the group, "Of course he doesn't need to," she remarked in a sing-song voice, "But it is rather fun." The young woman stepped in, still masked and approached Junwei. "I believe it's traditional for the man to request the dance, but I've never been one to hang onto outdated decorum." she said, reaching for his hand and making to whirl him away into the dance, should he comply.

On the sidelines, Achaeos watched with his arms folded, exuding disapproval like an aura.

Kinaro chuckled at Seiji's remark at humans being boring "On the contrary, I think other people and cultures are fascinating. I like to learn how they got to where they are, what their customs are, what their mythologies are. I would go on, but I'd end up rambling." he said. He sees Nariko walk over to Junwei and waves to her, not really seeming suspicious of her. After dancing for some time, he walked off somewhere away from the festivities to remove his cloak and shirt. He used his sword to cut some holes into his shirt before unbinding his wings, stretching them for the first time in what seemed like months. He puts his shirt back on and curls his wings so they don't get in the way of anybody. The scales were a brilliant white with black webbing. "I'm sorry, I just had to do some alterations to my clothing really quick. You have no idea how great it is to move these again." he stretches them again, laughing.

Kinaro seemed to have gained some attention for his appearance, though most of it was positive. Some wanted to feel his wings, asked where he came from, where he plans on going next "It's been so long. I can't really answer where I'm from. As for where I'm going, I suppose wherever my friends go. I owe them that much."

as written by Sentry

Nearly taken aback, Junwei let himself be pulled away by the young Nariko with a delighted rumble, and proceeded to work his feet clumsily in mimic to those around him.

"I'm afraid you'll have to be the lead this time," he told the fox-masked girl before him.

From the corner of his eye, he spotted Kinaro spread his wings. His lids narrowed a tad, but he had his attention on something much easier to look at.

as written by Script

Seiji quite literally squee'd when Kinaro got out his wings, clapping his hands together excitedly. "Eee! You have wings! That's so cool! And they're so shiny!" he grinned, bouncing on the balls of his feet with glee. When the small cluster of villagers began to gather, he harrumphed, making himself Kinaro's impromptu personal-space-enforcer (whilst himself summararily ignoring it; perhaps personal-space-hogger was more appropriate?) to prevent him from being overcrowded or overtouched.

"No touching! How would you like it if I wanted to touch your face out of nowhere! Wings aren't different!" he exclaimed, half-clinging to Kinaro's arm and half fending off a villager with a wagging finger. "Aiee, we should go bother Junwei some more, maybe people won't bother you so much out in the dance."

He began to tug at Kinaro's arm to pull him back towards the dance, but then something caught his eye. Something at the far end of the street leading from the square out of the village to the west, into the forest. He frowned, letting go of Kinaro to peer after it - whatever it was. Should Kinaro look to see where he was staring, there was seemingly nothing there.

"Hold on a sec!" he said, "I need to check something out."

And with that, the boy was off, weaving through the crowd and heading straight for the street leading out of the village.

Meanwhile, Nariko was dancing circles around Junwei, thoroughly enjoying leaving him in her dust repeatedly before sweeping back in to draw him along with her for a few steps, only to flit away and leave him to fumble on his own again. When Seiji moved off, though, his departure caught her eye. She raised an eyebrow. "Isn't that your friend there, moving off so very purposefully? And seemingly leaving both you and the other dragon behind. The dragon, sorry." she corrected herself, smirking coyly.

She paused in her dance, gazing after Seiji thoughtfully. "And he seemed so very attached to the pair of you, did he not?"

He couldn't help but be amused by Seiji trying to shoo everyone away. He personally didn't mind, but was noticeably concerned when Seiji suddenly left in pursuit of something he couldn't see. "Seiji, where are you going?" he asked before going after him. He sighed as Seiji skillfully dodged the crowd on his way out of the village, though he did his best to follow suit. Something about this seemed strange. What did Seiji see? Whatever it was, Kinaro had a feeling he shouldn't leave him alone.

Once out of the way of the villagers, he spread his wings and beat them to lift off the ground slightly, giving him a slight increase in speed. He did his best to keep up with Seiji and hoped that everything was alright. It could be a similar phenomenon to the old woman who guided him earlier, so for all he knew this could be a good occurrence.

as written by Sentry

Junwei gave a short scorn to Nariko, which quickly turned to concern for the boy.

"Do forgive me," he said, reaching for her hand to lay his lips briefly upon it. "I do have priorities. I do not trust one dragon to take care of such a michief-maker."

With that, he departed, sprinting towards Kinaro. Though he had no wings, the man didn't seem to have much trouble in keeping up.

"What's going on? Why's he running?" he called after Kinaro.

as written by Script

Seiji's vision was filled with lights.

They were dancing, with more energy than ever before, surging away from the festival and into the trees, drawn like moths to an unseen flame.

He'd always been able to see spirits. Whether it was knowing them when they were disguised as animals, or seeing them when they toed the line between the spirit world and the physical one. Their true forms were as varied as all the creatures of the world, perhaps even more so. Each was an expression of the spirit's own unique personality, from the smallest wisp to the greatest of world-spirits.

They'd been gathering in the village for the duration of the festival. That was normal - though there had seemed to be more of them than usual. But now they were flooding out of it in a tide, all towards the forest. He didn't stop when Kinaro called, his voice lost in the cloud of spirits. "Where are you all going?" he asked as he ran.

'Something calls.' The chorused reply resonated in his mind.

Back at the festival, Nariko had followed Junwei after Kinaro and Seiji, an amused smirk on her face behind her mask. She ran alongside them, nimbly keeping pace. "This is far more exciting than a dance, don't you think?" she said, laughing, "I hope you don't mind if I tag along. I'm curious to see where this leads."

"Can't you tell, Nariko?" A fourth voice joined the group chasing after Seiji. "You're here for the same reason I am," Achaeos went on, "But you've not really been paying attention. You always did have a bad habit of ignoring your spiritual side." The long-haired man reached up and removed his fox-mask, revealing his face: youthful in complexion, but holding an untold age and wisdom behind his eyes.

"And what's that supposed to mean?" Nariko bit back, tossing her own mask aside to reveal a pretty face, as youthful as Achaeos. Where his eyes told of wisdom, hers bore fiery passion, accentuated by the grin she wore.

"Look." He gestured around them, "Really look. You know what I mean."

Nariko raised an eyebrow, but seemed to be doing what the man said. Her gaze became focus, and shimmered briefly, then she gasped. "Oh, my."

"Now do you understand my concern?"

She laughed. "I'm not sure we're on the same page, dear Aki. This is ... brilliant. Nothing this exciting has happened for far too long."

Achaeos frowned, but turned to focus on running as they hit the treeline. Seiji was moving impressively fast, apparently unimpeded by the undergrowth as they quickly left the path behind.

"I don't know, Junwei...he just said he had to check on something and he took off. Whatever's going on, I'm starting to doubt if it's anything good." Kinaro said as he weaves passed the trees, making sure he doesn't fly into any of them. He notices two others, Nariko and Achaeos, following them as well. "If Seiji can't answer me right now, maybe one of you can! What's going on here?" he asked as he kept pursuing. Seiji was surprisingly difficult to keep up with and he had to keep focus just to keep himself from losing sight of him.

As he flies closer, he tries talking to him again "Seiji! Can you hear me? What's going on here?" he asked, feeling a bit of a disturbance in the area, but he couldn't understand what it was. He considered the possibility of it being a spirit-based occurrence. If that was the case, what was Seiji seeing and where were the spirits taking him? He decided to keep these questions to himself as he hoped answers would come to him soon.

as written by Sentry

Kinaro was getting more and more difficult to follow as he gained on the child. Junwei cursed. He wouldn't be giving himself up nearly as quickly as the dragonic warrior, but if he lost them at any point in time, there wouldn't be very many choices he could take.

His ability to see spirits wasn't something he enjoyed, and he tried to suppress it strongly, but since coming to the village, especially since the ceremony, he could feel them. They were in such a startling abundance that he couldn't help but do that at least. With a growl, he narrowed his eyes. If he knew what the kid was following, then...

"Kinaro! Keep with him! I'm falling behind!"

he fell back slightly to speak to Nariko. "How well do you know this area?"

as written by Script

"The spirits," Achaeos replied to Kinaro, keeping pace with the dragon-kin despite his aerial speed. Nariko allowed the two to draw ahead as Junwei slowed, choosing to remain with him for the time being. "They're flocking somewhere. I can feel the pull myself, now. I would guess that your friend sees them too, and is following. Though for what reason, I can't say."

Back with Junwei, Nariko smirked, "Well enough. I've spent enough time around these parts to know the landmarks. Why?"

The chase was taking all of them deep into the forest. They'd passed by Siyuna Shrine already, the obvious spiritual gathering point in the nearby forest. Unless Seiji planned on running the entire way to the neighbouring Naseni Township, a good three hour journey better served by the path far behind them, it was unclear what his destination was.

Back