Chronicles of The Omniverse Archived Naseni: Yan'Xin Village

Script

Adorable Homewrecker
Benefactor
as written by Script, Sentry and ConnorTavarin

As the trio made their way into the village, the decorations and lights grew more and more prevalent. It was still early afternoon, and so the festivities were not yet in full swing - many villagers were in the process of hanging decorations, setting up stalls and tents or otherwise making preparations for the coming evening.

The village itself was bustling with activity, and there were far more people here than was to be expected for a village this size. Seiji and the others were not the only ones who had come to Yan'Xin for the festival, and tourists from all across the island filled the streets. Some carried suitcases on their way to hotels, others walked slowly pointing out the sights to one another, but it was relatively easy to tell them from the locals quietly going about their business.

Some stalls were already set up, those selling intricately patterened ceremonial masks or face-paints that would be worn come nighttime by most of the festival-goers. Others were selling food or souvenirs to the tourists.

The three new arrivals drew little attention, though Kinaro's secretive attire attracted some glances - but if there was ever a time of year where wearing a mask would not stand out overly, it was now.

"Pshaa!" Seiji tutted at Junwei, "You should be more enthusiastic! There is more to do than see sights! There will be dancing, and feasting, and music, and all sorts of things! You will dance, won't you both?" he asked, turning to walk backwards with big, expectant and hopeful eyes.

Kinaro observed the activity going on throughout the village, occasionally muttering his interest in what he sees. He seemed to express his relief that no one really found his attire too suspicious due to the festivities, so he picked up his pace, walking a little more confidently. A couple of children tug on his cloak, to which he quickly turns on his heels, about to raise his voice. When he realizes they're just children, though, he keeps his composure and sighs "Sorry, little ones, but please do not pull on my cloak...it is of poor quality and can get damaged very easily." he says politely. They curiously follow him for a few more steps before asking "That's a pretty mask, mister...where'd you get it?" a question that makes Kinaro stop in his tracks for a moment. "I...oh, it's a family heirloom. My father passed it down to me, and he got it from his father." he said, hoping they wouldn't catch him in the lie. They seem satisfied with the answer before going on their merry way.

As they walk across the village, Kinaro spots someone on a ladder, fumbling with a decoration before it slips out of his fingers. Kinaro quickly dashed towards the falling object, catching it just barely. Standing up, he offers it to the person on the ladder, who voices his gratitude. Nodding his head, he was about to go back to Junwei and Seiji when suddenly he is approached by an elderly woman "Greetings, child...I could not help but notice your kind actions. Many others would have just ignored the falling decoration and kept going on their way, but you went out of your way to help a stranger. I am a local fortune teller, and I wish to give you a free reading, if you will take the time. Your aura is quite fascinating." she says with a gentle smile. Unsure of what he should do, he simply nods, not seeing the harm in it. He looks to Junwei and Seiji "I will return shortly." he says before following the woman to a table.

Sitting down on one of the chairs provided, the woman gestures for him to put his palm out. Kinaro does so and the woman takes hold of his hand, gently tracing her fingers along his palm and occasionally pressing down. Her smile turns to a concerned frown "You do not trust your companions...and it seems as if you have never truly trusted anyone. You believe that no one will accept you no matter the circumstances. Yet...you still help those around you. A noble, yet tragic heart. Allow me to give you advice, child...your happiness will never come unless you learn to open your heart and secret to your companions." she says as Kinaro pulls his hand away, standing up. He turns and starts walking away as the woman says "Your identity is a gift, not a curse...as much pain as it has given you, it will prove to bring you great happiness one day. I hope you realize that soon...Kinaro." she says. His eyes widening, Kinaro turns "How did you know my...?" he was cut off by the fact that the woman and the table she was sitting at was gone. No one around him seemed to bat an eye at her sudden disappearance, as if she was never there to begin with. He silently returns to his companions. "I'm sorry...my mind must have been playing tricks on me..."

"What are festivities, but a time to drink and pass out for the night?" chuckled Junwei. He raised one of his hands to bop the underside of a paper lantern as he passed it. "Certainly different from the city, however. I wonder what I can expect of a small village here."

Not hunters, at least.

"Dancing?" mused Junwei. "Enticing, really, child. But I might have to decline."

"Are you sure? I can take all of this?"

A young lady stood at the outside of a shop, a bag of cooked rice shoved into her arms by an older man who's face was sun-baked and who's wrinkles flopped over his eyes. He pat her soft cheek with a calloused hand and a chuckle. "You go, dear, you take it. You got so much meat for us, dear. Eat all the rice now, get big and fat."

The young woman couldn't help but smile and give the older man a deep bow. "Thank you. I'll come back next week to see if you need more help. I promise."

Turning away and wandering off, the young lady tied the bag of rice to her belt. It was heavy on her hip, and she stumbled a moment to get used to the weight, but she managed.

She wasn't a very strange visitor at all, though she was quite the stranger to Yan'Xin. She was what one would expect for the festival, dressed in colorful, layered clothing that she'd modified to leave her legs free. Her long hair had been tied up and her bangs had been messily combed out of her face, behind a white fox mask tied there. She was a bit tall for a woman, a bit boyish, but still undoubtedly female.

The one thing that caught a bit of attention was her bow and quiver filled with arrows, but she was a hunter. People had seen her cart all sorts of animals into the old man's butcher shop for the last week in exchange for cooked food. No doubt, she'd traveled a bit far for the festival.

Seji smiled and nodded to Kinaro as he was led aside by the fortune teller, though his eyes lingered on the woman for a few moments longer than might have been expected before he turned back to Junwei at his reply.

"Ohh, but you must!" Seiji exclaimed plaintively, "It's one of the best parts!" He paused for a moment in thought before grinning, and adding "I'm sure there'll be plenty of women dancing, who you'll be able to impress! Nobody will want to cavort with a spoilsport who doesn't dance for the festival!" He giggled.

When Kinaro returned, Seiji blinked and peered over his shoulder at where the fortune teller had been. After a moment, he gave a knowing smile and shook his head. "No tricks, I don't think! I saw her too. Whatever she said to you, you should be sure you take it to heart! I'd bet my hat that she was a spirit!" he nodded his head self-assuredly. "But you'll dance, won't you Kinaro?" he went on, apparently unperturbed by the prospect of a spirit-woman enough that he was still fixed on the dancing question.

Fixed enough that he was still walking backwards, and so it was almost inevitable that he'd end up backing straight into someone. Thankfully for both of them, his small stature meant that the impact when he backed into the girl in the fox-mask mostly made him stumble forwards, rather than upsetting her balance. "Oh! I'm sorry!" he said, spinning around to bow apologetically.

Kinaro was relieved that he wasn't the only one to see the mysterious old woman. It did surprise him a bit that she may have been a spirit, though he wasn't so sure if he really should take her advice to heart. He hears Seiji's question of whether or not he would dance. "Dance? I can't say I'm familiar with how to dance but...what would be the harm be in trying? I'll observe a bit later and see if I can learn a few steps." he smiles under the mask. Seiji was such an outgoing and friendly person. It made Kinaro think if it's been foolish of him to be hiding for so long. However, he wasn't ready to remove the mask or cloak. Not yet in any case. Junwei still made him feel a little uneasy with how stoic he was, but he didn't completely distrust him.

When Seiji bumped into the woman with the fox mask, he put his hand out to help keep Seiji's balance as he turned around and started bowing apologetically. He couldn't help but chuckle a bit at the display. He looked at the woman, seeing the mask. Something about the mask was...comforting. He didn't know why, but it had a sense of familiarity. Foxes or things resembling them brought him peace for whatever reason. "Forgive my friend here. It was an accident. What is your name, miss?" he asks. He laughs as Seiji presumably kept bowing "You can stop now, I think you've made your point."

"I'm sure any woman here to see me dance would be more charmed by the humor of my stumbling and not any skill I have toward it," Junwei jested, though he was sure there was much truth to it. The crumping and grinding of the city wouldn't be of much use here, in a village that hadn't seen such things.

He had to eye what had been the fortune teller, now gone. He'd looked away for only a moment, he swore he had. Kinaro's confusion, which he'd seemed to miss earlier, caught his attention, as well, but he let it go as Seiji ran straight into another person.

"Oh, whoops!" she exclaimed, hands out to soften the impact. She blinked at the kid, but then grinned. "Hey, it's alright! No harm done, yeah?" She reached to readjust Seiji's hat, but paused when she saw the mouse. "Little one, you've got a stowaway," she laughed, pointing to the tiny creature. "Some of the women in this village won't take too kindly to that. They get into the rice!"

Her eyes met with another stranger. The one with the mask. For a moment, she was thoughtful, lips spreading thinly as her eyes darted over him. It started, and stopped, with that mask. "Me? Oh, I'm Ayajin. You all look like travelers! You're together? Whereabouts are you from?"

"Aiee," Seiji's eyes peered upwards, as the mouse on his hat peered down. "He'll behave, won't you!" he said to the little creature. It squeaked. Whether or not that constituted a reply, Seji nodded and grinned. "I'll make sure of it! My name is Seiji, I'm from... all over the place, really! But I was born in Tianshi, if that's what you mean. I haven't stayed in one place for very long for a while now!"

He paused, as though realising something. "And hey! I'm not that little! Why does everyone call me that?" he exclaimed, pouting. "Harrumph! Well anyway, it's nice to meet you, Ayajin! I like your mask!"

Again, he paused. "Ah! Mask! We need to go get masks!" he spun around to face Junwei, "Kinaro is all prepared, but we're maskless! Come on, I saw a place selling them back across the road this way!" he said, grabbing the larger man's arm and tugging him off towards a stall a short way back down the road.

When Ayajin asked where they were from, Kinaro wasn't quite sure how to answer "To be honest...I don't really know. I've traveled across the world, made many friends...lost those very same friends because of...what's under this." he taps his mask. "All I'm doing is trying to find a place where I can just belong without people judging me...pointing fingers...laughing." he looks down slightly. It was difficult to speak of such things, but he wanted to get closer to being more comfortable with what he was. He wanted to know what he was.

As Seiji drags Junwei off to go get some masks, Kinaro inspected the one Ayajin had "That's a beautiful mask. Did you get it for the festival? I heard it's an important part of the festivities from Seiji. He's very knowledgeable despite his young appearance." he said, trying to brighten the mood after his short ramble on who he was.

Junwei groaned as Seiji pulled him off. "Must we?" he whined, a scowl of misery and distaste spreading across his face. Even so he didn't pull away from the boy and he kept following. If there was any true loathing for the child or his behavior, it certainly wasn't showing.

Ayajin watched after the two with a chuckle. Must be brothers!

"This village here is filled with a lot of nice people. I'm sure you'll be fine," said Ayajin with a reassuring smile. She took the mask on her head and slid it over her face.

"Thank you. My guild gave it to me when I joined. All the members have one. It really fits in here, hmm? What about yours?"

"Yes! We must! It's a very important tradition!" Seiji affirmed, dragging Junwei up to the stall. There was an almighty array of masks on display, of all different shapes and sizes and colours. Each mask held its own meaning, a spirit or concept that it represented. Most of them, anyway. Some were simply designed to be decorative.

The stall-owner was a tall moustachioed man with a big, warm smile that he flashed to the two as they approached. "Hello! Welcome, welcome! I saw you arrive in town, I thought I might see you come by here soon."

He gestured towards his vast collection of masks, no two the same. "Take your time, take your time. Your choice of mask is important. It should represent something about you, something core to your being. Though you will be masked, you should still be wearing an aspect of your self as your face!"

Seiji gazed wide-eyed at the selection. "Aiee. There's so many to pick from..." he murmured.

The shop-owner smiled. "Don't worry. The right mask has a habit of finding you, as much as you find it."

"Hmmm." Seiji stroked his chin ponderously, gazing from mask to mask. "What one are you gonna get, Junwei?" he asked the larger man with a grin.

Kinaro doesn't respond to her when she said that the village is filled with nice people. He thought the others were nice people as well before what happened. When the conversation changed to the subject the masks, he spoke up "I've had this mask for a very long time. Longer than I can remember. It's the only possession of mine that's truly precious...I don't have a home, I don't have anything else to my name other than my sword and the clothes on my back. I guess that's part of the reason people call me The Vagrant. It's a fitting title." he said, laughing a little.

He then decided to ask her more about the guild she mentioned. "What is this guild you mentioned? Does the fox have a special significance to what you do?" he asks. His curiosity of local folktales and customs was genuine. He truly wanted to learn more about this guild and what their purpose was in the grand scheme of things. He eagerly awaits her reply.

Junwei mused over the masks carefully, taking each into consideration. His fingers slid over the smooth surfaces of the masks carefully, until finally they stopped.

Beneath his hand he found the mask of a snarling, fiery lizard, lips raised over pearly white teeth. Small horns sprouted from the tops of the mask, twining backwards unevenly. For a very long moment Junwei was caught in a trance with the fearsome creature. His fingers curled around the edge, as though he was trying to pick it up.

At the last moment his hand deviated to the one next to it. A long-faced dog with droopy ears. "This one," he told Seiji with a tight smile. "It calls out to me."

He pointed to the puppydog one on the other side of the table, tongue out in a dog's grin. It was certainly silly. "And I think that is you," he jokingly stated.

"The Vagrant... that does ring a bell!" Ayajin chimed, tapping the chin to her mask. "But I'm not sure if the tales reach all the way where I'm from. I might have heard whispers around here, though. What an interesting life you lead." She tilted her head to the side, one hand on her hip.

"The guild is BeastEye, known for using magic concerning the animal that's chosen us. The fox is normally cunning, though I didn't think it was a trait I possessed..." She moved the mask over one eye, an eye that didn't belong to the young lady anymore. It was amber colored, the pupil vertically slit. Her dark hair and fair skin had been replaced by red fur.

Before he would get a good enough look at her, Ayajin moved the mask over to the other side, once again the human woman he'd been gazing at before. A sly smile curled upon her lips. "I think it comes naturally, though."

Seiji eyed Junwei with suspicion. The bigger man's hesitation hadn't escaped his notice. "Are you suuuure?" he teased, grinning up at him. "You don't come across as a droopy dog!"

When he pointed out the puppy mask, Seiji looked over to it, then folded his arms and huffed. "That's a kid's mask!" he whined, "Just because I am small doesn't mean I'm a kid!"

The boy went back to surveying the stall, until something caught his eye. He leaned up on the stall to reach for the back of the rows of masks and pluck one from it. The mask depicted a cat with a sweet smile, its face lined with silver and gold. "What does this mask represent, sir?" he asked the stall-owner.

"Ahh," the man replied, "That mask has several names - the happy cat, the beckoning cat or the fortune cat. As a cat, it represents a free and independent spirit, but it also symbolises fortune through companionship. It beckons, and those that take heed find some happiness - whether small or large."

Seiji tilted his head thoughtfully, musing over the mask before nodding. "I'll take this one!" he said cheerfully, reaching into his pocket for a few coins to hand to the man, who accepted them with a gracious nod.

The man turned to Junwei, then. "And you, are you decided on the mourning hound? The mourning hound represents grief for the loss of a leader, or one whose path you followed, as the dog would mourn its master's passing. But fear not, for like the hound, there is solace to be found in new companions - perhaps even ones you now lead in their stead."

Kinaro could have sworn he saw something change about Ayajin, even if it was only for a split second. No one else seemed to bat an eye at this and he was about to assume it was his imagination again. Then again, he was wrong about that before. "I've always liked foxes. I can't really put it to words why, I just sort of have an affinity for them. Oh, and my life's not all that interesting." even though no one could notice, it was painfully clear by the tone of his voice that he was blushing. "Honestly, I would love to one day have a true home. One where people will accept me. I can't see that happening, though." he says. Kinaro was always so happy to help others, but he seemed constantly negative about his own existence. The sad part was how matter-of-fact he says it, as if he's so used to thinking like that.

As he realized he was being negative again, Kinaro shook his head "I-I'm sorry for rambling. I shouldn't bring down the mood of such a wonderful festival." he says. Wanting to know more about BeastEye, he starts to ask more questions "So what exactly do you do in this guild? I'm not familiar with the name or what kinds of magic you possess. It really sounds fascinating."

Ayajin seemed perplexed at first, biting her lips with a tilt of her head to the other side, but Kinaro veered the conversation elsewhere.

"We take jobs for people. Help them for a price," said Ayajin. "I'm usually the one scouting around trying to find people who want to give us jobs and take it to the guildhouse for those who're interested. But I'm here for the festival!" She stretched her arms up high above her head, cupping her elbow in a hand, behind her head. "I need some time off! And well..." She looked around at the villagers nearby. "The magic can be flashy, so I'd have to show you some other time, yeah?" Her tongue stuck out at him. "I should get going. Perhaps later. What was your name again?"

Junwei stared solemnly at the dog mask, his eyes wrinkling at the ends as the pupils glazed over. No, it wasn't his mask. The one it belonged to was far away now.

"Then perhaps not," Junwei grumbled, putting the mask down. Closing his eyes in a sigh, he reluctantly picked up the dragon mask. "This would be the one," he told the man. "I suppose."

He eyed Seiji, looking about the cat mask. "Perhaps it is more appropriate. But cats are more like women," he teased the child. "And dogs, men."

Seiji stuck his tongue out at Junwei, "Nyaah. That's what you think! I'm perfectly manly!" he exclaimed, puffing up his chest, "It's not fair to use you as comparison! You're bigger and taller and stronger than most people anyway!"

The man mused over the second choice in mask, "The dragon, now that is a very special mask indeed." he said, "A dragon represents unity of soul and body, balance and power. The dragons of the mountains are said to have achieved total oneness of their spirit and their physical form, allowing them to travel between the realms at will. That is why they are so rare, as they spend as much time out of our reach in the spirit realm, as in our world. This mask is of a fire dragon, strong and courageous - filled with an intense fire that roars within them, but is contained by their carefully maintained outer calm."

Grinning, Seiji nodded his head at Junwei. "That's much better for you! You're strong, and brave! And I bet you can roar like a dragon when you're angry!" he giggled.

Kinaro nodded "My name is Kinaro. I'm looking forward to being able to see some of this magic you've been talking about. Farewell, Ayajin. It was nice meeting you." he smiles before politely bowing, returning to his companions. Upon seeing their mask choices, he laughs "Those are good matches for the both of you. So what are our plans for the moment? Find a place to rest? Look at more of the festival preparations?" he asks, leaving it up to the others to decide what to do. He started fiddling with his mask slightly, wondering if he should remove it. He thinks about how these odd circumstances are just sort of shrugged off by the people of this village. The mysterious old woman, Ayajin's sudden transformation, and all this talk of spirits was making him curious. In the end, he left the mask on. It was different with him. It always was. At least that's what he thought.

Despite his worries, he did feel at peace here. It was quiet, tranquil, and the whole village felt like it worked together. There were also so many stories to hear from these friendly inhabitants. Kinaro wanted to hear as many as he could before moving on. If he decided he even want to leave this village.

"It is the most fitting for now. There's... just not as many choices..." mumbled the man, strapping the mask on to the side of his head. "But I can roar much louder than a dragon," he grinned.

He took a glance at Kinaro, lifting a brow. He supposed there was no hiding that the dragon was his fit. He had to sigh. "Perhaps the little one knows," he said. "As he knows everything else."

"Psha! I don't know everything! I know a lot about specific things, because I ask a lot of questions!" Seiji smiled brightly, "But I have been here before! There's an inn this way!" he turned on the spot and pointed into town, "Follow me!" he exclaimed, before starting off down the road.

Last edited by a moderator:
as written by Script and ConnorTavarin

The afternoon wore on, and the festival flourished as evening approached. The trio acquired themselves rooms at the local inn for only a small fee. It turned out that Seiji knew the inn's owner well enough to have her offer them normal rates, as opposed to the hiked-up prices other tourists were being charged due to the increased demand.

Still, there was little of interest at the inn for the moment, and so before long they found themselves back on the streets of the village. Junwei had excused himself from their company for the moment - no doubt to chase after some woman or another - and so the two walked with only each other's company. And, of course, that of every festival goer Seiji decided to enthusiastically greet despite them being total strangers - to mixed reception, of course. Some were happy to respond in kind, others just gave him strange looks and went on their way.

"Any sign of that mysteriously disappearing fortune teller you saw earlier?" Seiji piped up with interest, "I wonder if she'd read my fortune too? What did she tell you? No, wait, don't tell me! That's private. I shouldn't have asked!"

As the two walked, they drew the attention of a young man from the crowd. Dressed in a traditional kimono and a red fox mask, with long red-brown hair falling out the back, he did not particularly stand out from the other tourists and villagers apart from the fact that he carried a lantern with him on the end of a wooden rod. Perhaps, though, his mask was also particularly intricate, enough to draw the eye - and of course, the katana at his hip was noteworthy enough.

After a moment's hesitation, he stepped towards them. "Hello there," he began, "I'm sorry, I don't mean to interrupt anything. But I couldn't help but overhear. Did you mention a disappearing fortune teller?"

He paused, "Sorry, where are my manners? My name is Achaeos." he said with a deep and respectful bow.

As Kinaro looked around, he shook his head "I haven't seen her. She's completely gone...no traces from what I can find." he says. He was about to explain the fortune teller's advice, but then Achaeos arrived, mentioning her. "Oh, well...yes. I had recently gotten advice from a fortune teller, but before I could ask further questions she just vanished without a trace. It's...definitely irritating as her advice involves me doing something I really don't want to do." he sighs, fiddling with his mask again. He then politely bows back "I'm Kinaro. It's nice to meet you, Achaeos. Are you looking for the fortune teller as well or is that a popular rumor around here during the festivities? Either reason sounds believable in a place like this."

Seiji smiled to Achaeos, "Hello there! My name is Seiji, and don't worry about interrupting." he said, tilting his head to look up at him. "Achaeos is a very unique name. I like it!"

The younger boy spread his arms, gesturing around. "There are lots of fortune tellers around, though, even if that one lady vanished! They have tarot cards, and special tea, and all sorts of things!" He paused and leaned conspiratorially towards the other two. "But you gotta be careful. A lot of them are just talking nonsense!"

"Not looking for her as such," Achaeos replied with a smile, "I've been trying to keep my eyes open for anything out of the ordinary. I have a sense that there is something happening in the forest, that's drawing spirits here. More than is normal for the festival."

He cast his eyes around, "I'm not sure what's happening, but it's concerning. It feels... ominous. Be wary." He paused, before shaking his head. "But don't let me stop you enjoying the festival. It may well be nothing to worry about."

Kinaro nods to Achaeos "Thank you for the warning regardless. Unfortunate as it may be, such feelings are usually warranted. I'll keep an eye open for anything strange." he says. To be honest, despite the festivities, Kinaro felt as if something was amiss. The strange fortune teller didn't ease his mind at all either. He looks to Seiji "Sorry if we seem overly paranoid Seiji, but we can never be too careful." he says, laughing a bit. "We'll enjoy the festivities and deal with any problems as they arise. For now let's see what we can enjoy!" he smiles.

As he tried to lighten the mood, Kinaro's mind wandered to what could be a potential threat to the village. Were the spirits out of balance? Were they angry? He also thought about the past where he was forced to show his face, which weren't pleasant memories. Shaking his head, he snapped out of those memories. Things were different now, Seiji and Junwei were different. Kinaro began to relax and asked Seiji "Where to next? I'm interested in seeing more of the village. If you want to, you can come along as well Achaeos."

Seiji tilted his head curiously at Achaeos, examining him for a moment with surprising focus for anyone who was used to his usual manner. He gazed at the taller man thoughtfully, before speaking. "The spirits are gathering as they sense change in the air. Fate is tightening its grip to guide the world towards the inevitable."

There was a brief pause of silence, before with a blink, Seiji's expression returned to its normal bright smile, and he carried on as though he hadn't spoken. "Aiee. You're right, Kinaro! We can't let some ominous feeling ruin the festival! This is a time for fun!"

He grinned and grabbed Kinaro's arm, "Let's go play Dragon's Breath!" he exclaimed as he dragged him towards a stall a short distance away, where people were standing behind plastic dragon models with water-jets in their mouths, firing small splashes at targets that popped up inside the stall. "I bet you I can win the best prize there, first try!"

Achaeos looked at Seiji with surprise as the youth spoke in such a different tone to before. But as he switched straight back to normal, he wasn't able to get a word in to comment on it before he was pulling his friend off towards the festival games.

He smiled to Kinaro, "Thank you for the offer, but I must decline. Enjoy yourselves, though. There are few times of year more gleeful than these weeks. You are right, any problems should be dealt with as they arise, and not dwelt over beforehand."

He bowed politely, "I need to get going. It has been a pleasure. I have no doubt we will meet again before the festival is through." he said, before he turned and moved away into the crowd.

Kinaro looked at the game stall, amused at the idea of the game. He sits down on a stool while the person in charge of the stall explains the objective, which was to hit the targets with the water gun and to get as many as he could in one minute. Kinaro nods, understanding the game as it began. Targets began to appear, slowly at first while Kinaro fires at them, hitting them consistently. The targets begin to appear faster and faster, though he was able to keep up for the most part, only missing a few times. Despite those misses, Kinaro still managed to earn a high enough score to earn the best prize of the stall. "Wow, I didn't expect I'd do that well." he chuckled nervously, scratching the back of his head as he awaited the prize.

Thoughts again drifted to the past. He played a similar game at an arcade with one of his old friends. Try as he might, he wasn't able to get the highest score. He tried again and again, slowly getting better with each attempt. His friend told him not to focus on a select few of the targets but instead the entire range, keeping his peripherals ready to spot any slight movement. Once he understood that, he finally earned the high score, winning the prize. He sighed deeply as his thoughts returned to the present.

In the meantime, Seiji had been adopting more of a "spray and pray" approach to the game, clearly enjoying swinging around on the dragon-shaped water cannon more than actually aiming it. Unsurprisingly, this meant that he hit far fewer of the targets than Kinaro - but he didn't seem bothered by it. "You're really good!" he exclaimed after seeing Kinaro's performance. "You must have been practising while I wasn't watching!"

He grinned at the tease, as the stall-owner brought out their prizes. To Kinaro, he handed a massive and surprisingly high quality stuffed dragon plushie, easily half his size, and to Seiji he handed a little dragon-shaped water pistol. He giggled, dangling it from one finger. "Ahh, festival novelty crap is the best." he said, before looking up at Kinaro's oversized dragon. "That's an awesome dragon though! Almost big enough to ride into battle!"

Laughing, he turned to glance around at the other festival games. There were tarot readings, a hoop-tossing stand, magnet-fishing and a maze of other varieties of carnival stall. "Where should we go next?" he asked Kinaro with a grin, "Your choice this time!"

Seiji took a moment then to glance up at the sky, which was growing steadily darker - the sun was about to set, judging by the light, though the treeline blocked it from view. "By my guess we have about a half hour till the dancing! So we should try and do as much as possible!"

Pondering for a moment, Kinaro thought it would be best to do something that wouldn't take as much time so they wouldn't miss out on much of the dancing. "I say we go try the tarot card readings. I've always had a fondness for those sort of things. They're eerily accurate sometimes." he says. He's had tarot readings before and he believes there is some truth to the cards' meanings. He carries the enormous dragon plushy with him for a bit, wondering what exactly he would do with something like this. He didn't exactly have anywhere to decorate. As if on cue, he spots a boy looking at the dragon with awe. Smiling warmly, he walks over and sets the dragon down "Hey, I do a lot of traveling and I don't think I'll be able to carry this with me everywhere I go. I don't want to just drop it somewhere and forget about it, so why don't you have it?" he says to the boy, who happily accepts the plushy and thanks Kinaro for the gift. Kinaro continues to smile under the mask as he returns to Seiji "I figured he needed it more than I did. I don't exactly have a home to put that, you know."

Seiji nodded with a grin. "Tarot readings are fun!" he agreed, "Though sometimes they're just nonsense... fun nonsense, at least! Ahh, but around this time, the spirits sometimes make even the fakers produce results that are more meaningful than they know."

As they took off for the nearest tarot reader, Seiji watched Kinaro hand off the dragon to the boy and smiled fondly. When he came back, he gave the other man an affectionate nudge on the arm. "You're super-thoughtful, Kinaro! I bet you made that kid's day!" he said cheerfully, before he pointed at a nearby tent.

"Over there! That looks promising!" The tent was brightly coloured in reds and purples, and cylindrical in shape with a pointed top. Above the entrance was a sign saying 'Madame Miyaki's Tarot Readings.'

"Let's gooo!" he exclaimed, grabbing onto Kinaro again and taking off towards it.

"I just like to see people happy, that's all." he smiles as he's pulled to the tarot reading tent. The inside was tranquil and dark save for a single flame in a lantern on the table. A woman, possibly in her thirties, sits in a large, comfortable chair on one side of the table and gestures for Seiji to sit first. She starts to arrange her cards expertly before quickly laying out a few of them in front of her. She smiles, flipping one "The Star. You're a positive thinker, and now it is time to put those thoughts to use. What changes do you wish to make or see in your life? Think broadly and set out to make them!" she flips another card "The Empress. You may find that others will look to you for guidance or as someone to tell you their worries. This will give you a chance to see how others view and value you." she flips the last card. "The Magician. There are spiritual events going on around you even if you may not see them right away. Find it within yourself to the strength and knowledge of make it through whatever comes ahead." she reshuffles the deck "Things are going very well for you, young man! I can see much happiness in your future." she smiles before asking Kinaro to sit down in the chair.

As she lays out the cards, she requests that he remove his mask, to which he immediately refuses. She gets a solemn expression on her face as she flips the first card "The Hierophant. Your inner spirituality is in turmoil with what you think you must do. The thoughts of others around you will also come into play. Stand up and do what you must for what you believe in." she flips the next card "The Sun Reversed. Make a count of the blessings you have. Even if you think there is much wrong with your life, you must have something you are grateful for. Never lose track of those." she flips the final card. "Death. Be accepting of the changes that may occur in your life soon and rid yourself of self-limiting beliefs or attitudes. You may not see how it is hurting yourself, but stand up and confidently march forward through life." she says. Kinaro contemplates the cards and seemed far less frustrated than he was with the fortune teller from before as he's not just leaving this time. "Thank you, Madame Miyaki." he says before standing and stepping out of the tent, thinking deeply on what he should do.

Seiji smiled broadly as the fortune teller gave him his fortune. When she recited the meaning of the Magician card, he gave a brief knowing little grin, but it was easily mistaken for just part of his smile. When it was done, he rose and bowed politely to her. "Thank you, Madame Miyaki!" he said appreciatively.

Much happiness, huh? Seiji wondered what that could mean. There were all sorts of things that could happen! He'd just have to go with his instinct.

He waited for Kinaro, slipping his own mask back on, and tilted his head thoughtfully at the other's fortune. Inner turmoil, self-limitation and imminent change? Well, clearly she didn't just say what people wanted to hear. He followed Kinaro out, tilting his mask up to the top of his head in order to smile at the taller man. "Alright! She was very insightful, I think. Not one of the nonsense-talkers!"

He glanced at the clock at the top of the village hall at the far end of the street, in the square, squinting to make it out. "Looks like it's nearly time for the dance! Let's go there now so it's not too crowded! Oh, and we should get some food! I'm hungry!"

Once more, Seiji grabbed Kinaro's arm and tugged him off down the street. There seemed to be no end to the boy's energy.

Kinaro follows Seiji down the street, still contemplating the cards and what he should do next. Still, Seiji's boundless energy made him feel slightly better as they get to the central square of the village where a majority of the decorations and people were right now. The smell of food was prevalent in the air as cooks prepared meals for the villagers and tourists. Since he actually had a little money from various odd jobs he has done for people in the past, Kinaro decided to buy a couple of rice balls and two sticks of dango, giving one of each to Seiji "It's the least I could do for letting me travel with you, Seiji." he said, obscuring his face with his hood as he shifts the mask to eat. "What she meant...she must have meant that I need to stop hiding behind a mask. My only question is will you and Junwei still want me around after the fact? What if I'm something horrible?" he asks, still obviously distraught over this whole thing. He observes as some of the other festival goers begin dancing, watching their dance moves and committing some of them to memory.

as written by Script

The scene in Yan'Xin village had changed dramatically since Seiji and Junwei had left. The music had stopped, and the crowds seemed to have at least partially dispersed. As they entered the village's outskirts, the reason began to become clear.

A number of entertainment stalls lay in splinters from some sort of impact, and decorations had been torn down in places. The houses and other buildings all had their doors firmly shut, with glyphs and symbols of warding painted or carved across them. Lights were on inside the buildings, but most had their blinds, curtains or shutters drawn closed.

Those that remained in the streets held weapons, or otherwise looked ready for some sort of conflict. They moved in groups of four, patrolling the streets and urging stragglers to find shelter.

"What happened..?" Seiji whispered, wriggling free of Junwei's grip and dropping to the ground. He broke into a run towards the nearest group of people, who had themselves just spotted the arrivals. "Hey!" he called out.

"Kid, you need to get inside," one of the four - a woman with braided black hair - said, frowning.

"Please, our friend is hurt! He needs help!" Seiji gestured over his shoulder to Achaeos. The woman looked past him, and her frown deepened.

"We'll take you to the town hall. All the healers and doctors in the village have set up a makeshift clinic there to help the wounded, follow me."

The group of what looked - going by their lack of armour - to be militia, began to move off towards the village square. Seiji hurried along behind them, casting worried glances around at the state of the village. It looked like a battlefield.

as written by Sentry

Junwei could almost swim in the disparity. It weighed heavy on his shoulders alongside Achaeos. It was a lie, how easily he tread through the village toward the hall after Seiji. His heart closed off, and his face became stonier than normal.

"I believe our friend has passed through Yan Xin, Seiji."

as written by Script

"What did this?" Seiji asked as they walked, fearing that the group would confirm Junwei's suspicions.

"Dark spirits," the woman answered grimly. "Yokai, or something else. They came from nowhere. Nobody knew what was happening until dozens had already died. I don't know what we did to anger them... I've never seen anything like it."

Seiji lowered his eyes, his gut twisting with guilt. There was little doubt that Nakajima's release and these spirits were connected. Achaeos had said something about her and dark spirits, hadn't he?

"I'd been hearing stories about dark spirit attacks across the island for a while," another of their escorts, a young man, said. "Happening for a few weeks before the festival. Nothing on this scale though, just stories of one or two. There were dozens of them, as far as I could tell."

As they entered the village square, Seiji's breath caught in his throat. Where the dance floor had been, now lay dozens of humanoid shapes covered by blankets, arranged in rows. Bloodstains were still visible in places, though the rain had washed most of them away. Tears began to form in the boy's eyes, though they were almost indistinguishable from the rain that ran down his face.

He barely noticed that in portions of the square, the earth had been churned violently, and in several places sharp looking spikes of rock jutted at odd angles as though they'd sprouted like spines from the ground.

On the stage before the hall, Elder Xi stood looking over the dead. The elderly woman's face was grim, a stark contrast to her almost maniacal glee during the ceremony. The rain had soaked her hair and her robes, but she showed no sign of being cold. Parts of the stage had splintered as though from something large impacting them.

as written by Sentry

Junwei stopped before the sea of corpses, his knees suddenly finding weakness. It was the walk, he told himself. The walk had been so long. He was tired. He was so tired.

A dragon's fire didn't last long in a storm. He just... had to get inside. They both had to get out of the rain. They needed to keep walking. Why, why, why wasn't he walking?

The giant man tore his eyes upward and planted it onto the old woman's face. He kept them there, and finally, found the strength to move. He put a hand behind Seiji's head to quicken his pace to the hall. "Do not look."

as written by Script

"Looking away won't change reality, warrior."

The Elder's voice cut through the patter of rain, devoid of the shell-shocked fragility that the other villagers' words had possessed. "The boy knows it. His eyes tell me that, and more. You came from the forest." The mud and foliage on both Seiji and Junwei's clothing made that much obvious. "Something of great import happened there moments before the attack. Something that warped the spirits into the creatures that attacked us. I could feel it, even from here."

She turned her eyes on them, faded brown and cold. "I think it would be best if we had a conversation. Bring your wounded friend in, the healers will tend to him. But I will speak with the both of you."

Seiji clenched his fists in response to the old woman's words, and nodded his head. He started walking again, moving past the stunned men and women that had brought them there and moving around the stage towards the village hall.

as written by Sentry

Junwei's facial expression didn't change. Not once. He approached the hall with Achaeos and handed him to a healer when possible. He looked toward Seiji, perhaps hoping to exchange glances, and readied himself for a long, sullen explanation. What would the villagers do to the little one? Would they hurt him? Junwei thought determinedly, no, they would not.

"Child," he spoke. "Are you afraid?"

as written by Script

Inside the village hall, the large hall itself had been cleared of seating and other furniture to create floorspace. Within, dozens more injured were being tended by the few healers and doctors that the village and those visiting it for the festival had been able to muster. There were around six, along with a number of assistants running tasks for them, fetching supplies and administering basic care.

The injuries varied from stab wounds to broken bones, to even some that looked like bites or burns.

When one of the healers caught sight of Junwei enter with Achaeos, she hurried over to him and directed him to lay the young-looking man down on one of the bedrolls. After a quick once over, it was determined that his condition wasn't critical, and so he was left to rest there for the time being.

Seiji looked up at Junwei mournfully, biting his lip and shaking his head in response to the man's question. Whether or not he was telling the truth, he certainly looked nervous.

"This way," Elder Xi indicated for the pair to follow her through a side door, down a hallway and into a smaller chamber with a few tables. "Sit."

She gestured to chairs by one of the tables.

"Tell me what happened out there. Do not lie. I will know if you do."

Seiji frowned, staring down at his lap. "I don't remember everything," he said quietly, "I was following the spirits, they were flocking somewhere. We ran for ages... the journey is sort of a blank. Then when we got there..."

The boy launched into a full explanation of what had happened, relying on Junwei to fill in the gaps where his memory had left him.

When they finished, the Elder took a long breath and let out a heavy sigh.

"What you have seen here, child," she said after a drawn-out moment of silence, "it's nothing compared to what I predict will come of your misguided actions in the days to come."

Seiji winced, gripping the cloth of his coat tightly.

"You have unleashed evil on our world."

as written by Sentry

"What do you mean?" Junwei barked, leaning forward. "I barely know of the myths of this area. Explain to me what that woman was. Tell me how I will defeat her."

He wanted to believe, more than anything, that he had the power to overcome something that seemed so weak at a glance. Even if Archaeos couldn't do anything, Junwei thought he was different.

as written by Script

"Pah! What do they teach you in school these days? When I was a girl, I lived in a tribal village, and they still told tales of the usurper Empress!" Tora shook her head with disapproval.

"Yumiko Nakajima," Seiji cut in quietly, his normally bright expression turned solemn. "She lived over a thousand years ago, when the first Emperor, Tatsuhiro, conquered most of the mainland. She was one of his advisers during his reign. But when his son Mitsuhide was crowned after his ascension, she sought to steal the throne, and plunged the empire into civil war." He spoke as though repeating rehearsed lines, or reading from a scroll. His eyes stayed downturned.

Tora nodded. "At least one of you knows his history, it seems. Nakajima was a powerful sorceress in life, and the greatest evil to plague our nation in all its history. Her dark magic called storms and demons to aid her, and bewitched the minds of many clans to her side. It is said that though she was defeated, not even death could quiet her foul spirit, and instead she was sealed away in secret, bound by powerful magics." She stroked her chin with a grave frown. "Magics that you have now undone."

"But we can stop her!" Seiji looked up, eyes almost pleading. "We can! They stopped her before, so we can do it again!"

The old woman frowned, meeting Seiji's stare. "Perhaps. But such a task is not for you, child. She is a foe beyond your means." Her eyes turned to the window. Outside, rain continued to beat down on the glass. "Word must reach the Empress of this threat, before it is too late."

as written by Sentry

Junwei's brows pinched. He wasn't used to being spoken to as though he were the child. He kept his anger in check, however. His blood did not boil as easily as Issaku's. He gripped his knees and took a breath.

"I can help. There is far more I can do than wield a weapon. If we can gather more like myself, then surely, we can defeat her."

as written by Script

Tora raised an eyebrow. "Oh, no doubt. Even the strongest sorceress can be felled. But if the legends are true, she is as cunning as she is powerful. I think it will not be so simple as you hope." She clasped her hands on the table. "But I am just an old woman. You boys must do what you deem best to atone for what you have unleashed today."

Seiji nodded. "We will. I'll do anything it takes!" He stuck his chin out stubbornly. "I'll-"

Their conversation was interrupted by a crash, and a scream from outside.

Tora was on her feet immediately, cursing. "Never a moment's rest..." she hissed, hurrying for the door. Seiji was hot on her heels.

When they reached the front of the town hall, they were greeted by battle. The militiamen and women from before had their weapons drawn, and were facing down a great shadowy beast. It stood near as tall as the buildings on four legs, and jagged antlers jutted from its head like wicked hatchets. Its slavering wolflike jaws hung open hungrily.

Around it, more smaller spirits swarmed. Snakes, wolves, spiders, even some humanoid. All were distorted in some way. There were over a dozen in total.

Tora didn't hesitate, launching herself from the stage with a spryness that belied her age. As she did, a tide of earth rose up to catch her, carrying her forwards like a wave. "Don't just stand there!" she yelled at the militia.

With quick motions of her arms, rocks pulled themselves from the dirt and launched at the massive antlered spirit, drawing its attention away from them and towards herself. "Come and get me, you ugly bastard!"

Seiji watched on with a slack jaw, clutching at his robe. "We have to help!" he exclaimed. But how? How did you fight spirits?

as written by Sentry

Well, that was an easy answer. At least, it was for Junwei.

He looked down at Seiji and put a hand atop his head. He crouched down to Seiji's level and looked him straight in the eye. "Seiji. You do not have to worry. I will protect them. Do not be frightened," he said. Flames began to dance along his body. They started small and then consumed him, burning away anything that was human. The hand atop Seiji's head grew and curled into wicked black nails.

The flames moved into the air and curled like a snake. As it moved forward the fire bellowed back and revealed the scaly snout of a dragon. He zoomed forward and reached for the shadowbeast with his talons.

as written by Script

Seiji's eyes widened as Junwei launched into the fray, but strangely, he did not seem quite as surprised as one might have expected. The antlered spirit turned to meet the dragon's charge, letting loose an unearthly roar. It bowed its head to catch Junwei upon its jagged antlers, and headbutt him away.

"Hah!" Tora cackled upon seeing Junwei take on his true form. "I knew there was something more to that one!"

At her gesture, pillars of earth shot up to slam into a few nearby spirits. More men and women from the patrols were joining the fight now, fending off the spirits with weapons ranging from swords to improvised staffs.

Clenching his fists, Seiji watched the fighting from his spot on the stage. "This is wrong..." he mumbled to himself. "The spirits shouldn't be like this."

A hissing sound drew his attention, then, to his right. His eyes widened as they fell upon a small black shape, writhing on the stage a short distance away. The spirit might once have resembled a mouse, but now it was covered with spines, and its tail forked into five separate writhing tendrils. It had grown in size, and its paws were more akin to claws.

Another growl on his other side. This spirit was foxlike, marked with swirling patterns that seemed to shift constantly upon its blackened hide. Innumerable insect-like eyes covered its face, glowing with eerie light. "No! Not you too!" Seiji cried out, recognising both of the twisted creatures. They were the mouse and the fox spirits that had joined him and Junwei on their journey through the forest, no doubt drawn to him by his familiarity. But now instead of seeking him for companionship, they carried malice.

"Stop it!" He pleaded, as both spirits began to advance on him. "This isn't right! It's not you! Stop being so stupid!"

Backing up a few steps, Seiji's eyes flicked between them rapidly.

Abruptly, the twisted fox spirit stopped, lifting its snout to sniff the air. There was a moment's pause, and it turned away. Towards the entrance to the hall, where the wounded were being cared for.

"No! Hey, you can't go in there!" Seiji exclaimed. But the creature had already taken off at a bound, skating past him and through the doorway. He was about to pursue, but he was intercepted by the once-mouse, that launched itself at him with unnatural strength and sent him sprawling across the floor.

"Owwww..." Seiji whined, grimacing as he dragged himself upright. His hands pressed into the sodden wood, and he turned back to face the spiny mouse-thing with a pleading stare as it advanced again. "Stop. Stop! I know this isn't you! We're friends! Please, wake up!"

Whether it was something in his words, or something else, the spirit hesitated. It continued to hiss aggressively, but it stopped its advance. Seiji hesitated, then shuffled forwards, ignoring the rain that continued to soak through his clothes and reaching tentatively out for it.

"See? You recognise me. We're friends. I know you don't want to hurt me!"

The spirit's hissing only intensified as he grew closer, and it looked poised to attack.

as written by Sentry

Junwei was smashed backwards into the ground after scrambling to grab the spirit's antlers. His arms were too short. That approach wasn't going to work a second time that easily. He slithered out of the tangle he had made of himself on the ground, then poised himself to lurch at the spirit again until he heard Seiji's cries. He turned his head toward the child and before he even realized what was happening, his feet started to move. He bulleted toward the mouse, maw agape, and tried to scoop it in between his jaws.

as written by Script

In the moments before Junwei reached him, Seiji shuffled ever closer to the dark spirit. He smiled as he came up next to it, ignoring its aggressive growls, and tentatively reached out for it.

"Please, calm down," he whispered, and gently brought his hand to brush against its fur.

Immediately, a blinding flash of light burst out from the pair of them - small, but intense. Seiji winced, bringing his other arm up to shield his eyes, but didn't move away. A golden glow spread from his hand across the dark spirit, enveloping its form entirely.

Slowly, the creature's twisted shape began to shrink and change. The spines retracted, and its claw-like appendages shrunk back down to paws. In a few seconds, it was over. Where the dark spirit had stood, now was a lightly shimmering mouse spirit, uncorrupted.

Seiji let out a gleeful laugh, beaming as the mouse sniffed at his hand, then ran up his sleeve to reach his shoulder. "Aaahh, I knew I could help!" he clapped his hands together, giggling as the spirit nuzzled at his ear. "Ahh! Stop! That tickles!"

as written by Sentry

Junwei paused before chomping down on the mouse spirit, jaw swung open. He dialed back when he heard Seiji's laughter. The spirit was not corrupt any longer. The dragon stared at the child with his eyes stretched wide.

What did you do?

He stared back at the great antlered spirit behind them. No, he couldn't put Seiji in that much danger.

as written by Script

At that moment, there was a scream from inside the hall. Seiji looked up with a start. The fox spirit! "Ahh!" He scrambled to his feet, turning to Junwei. "Another spirit went inside! All the hurt people are-"

He didn't finish his sentence, as a gout of blue flame burst from the doorway of the hall. Seiji rounded to stare at it in horror, thinking that the spirit had caused some catastrophic explosion within, before moments later the twisted black shape was launched out to slam into the stage and skid through the dampness.

Seconds past, and a figure staggered into view, leaning heavily on the doorframe. Achaeos, his chest bound in bandages, stood there panting, traces of blue fire fading from his palm. Behind him, a few frightened-looking healers peered nervously out.

It took him but a few moments to take in the scene outside, before he turned to make eye contact with Seiji and Junwei. "I have the hall covered," he said, his voice weak but filled with conviction. "Go, help the villagers."

As he spoke, the corrupted fox rose to its feet again, growling. Achaeos began to gather flame in his palm once more, but Seiji called out to him. "Wait!"

The boy ran forwards towards the dark spirit, waving his arms wildly. "Hey! Hey! Stop! Remember me?" he cried out. Clearly, he intended to try what he had with the mouse spirit again.

as written by Sentry

Junwei followed up quickly behind Seiji, readying himself to strike just in case the fox spirit wasn't going to bow down to this strange power Seiji seemed to harbor. He glanced at Achaeos, briefly trying to make eye contact before putting his eyes back on the fox spirit.

Back