Chronicles of The Omniverse Archived Neryas

Tiko

Draconic Administrator/Mentor
Administrator
Mentor
Nexus GM
as written by ConnorTavarin

Long ago, a human settlement on the fringes of space, had finally reached its limit. Centuries of exploiting resources and polluting the air have finally rendered their home planet a husk of its former glory, and the last vestiges of the humans living there need a new home. Knowing there was no other alternative, they used what they could to construct massive space faring vessels to take to the stars. They had to make some sacrifices, like leaving behind most of the old technology, including most firearms, deciding instead to go back to the way of the blade. Generations pass and it seems that these humans were doomed to float in the cold void of space for the rest of their days. However, one day, a strange anomaly drew the ship in and enveloped it in a blinding light. When the crew, the third generation of this particular vessel, awoke from cryostasis, they saw what they could not believe. A planet that was potentially inhabitable; A planet called Neryas. However, the ship's sensors detected that sapient life already exists on the surface, but there technology level was unknown. The crew used the ship's scanners to verify that the air is clean, so there were no pollutants from cars and factories, leading them to assume the world was not industrial yet. The energy readings also detected something strange never before seen by the human history and the crew could not verify what it was. Regardless, the humans sent engineers, scientists, and the defense force down to the planet in order to collect soil samples and get a close scan on the air. Even though initial scans showed the air to be clean, they went down in protective gear just to be safe until they can get a full reading of Neryas' atmosphere.

Meanwhile, Neryas' native beings, the Elves and the Naturan, witness something massive above their planet, just barely above orbit. The Elves, which were like those in ancient fantasy novels, read their tomes and researched to find out what this massive metal structure in the sky could be. They speculated it could be a vessel for the Spirits, finally arriving on the physical plane to show them the secrets to mastering arcane knowledge. Other's believed it could be a new form of magic that someone far off had perfected. The Naturan, a race of humanoids with some physical characteristics of animals, simply looked on in curiosity. Were they gods? Were they benevolent or cruel? While the two races argued over what it was, the humans came down in small drop ships. This is where they story of these humans begins anew, alongside the two races of Neryas.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Ambition....that was the name of the massive ship that now hovered over the atmosphere of Neryas. On one side were those celebrating the possibility of terrestrial ground to walk upon for the first time in their lives, and on another there were those dreading to leave the relative safety of the only home they've known. Felix was meeting with the Council and had just received word that he would be leading the initial ground unit to explore this new world. "Me, your excellence? Surely there are others more capable than I to lead a mission of this importance." he said, arms professionally positioned behind his back. One of the council members shook his head "A man of your skill is more than capable of leading this mission. Have faith, Sir Clarke. We have taken into consideration your apprehension to leaving the Ambition, but you must understand that we cannot live amongst the stars for much longer. This mission must succeed." he said. Felix bowed his head politely "Then I will not fail you. I will gather a team and go planet side as soon as I can." with that, Felix took his leave. Later, Felix stood before a group of men and women who volunteered to go on the mission. "This is it. The moment many of us have been waiting for...a new home. A new world. I thank you all for being here and being brave enough to take this first big step for our people. Within the hour, we will be taking our first step onto terrestrial soil for the first time in our lives. I hope you are all prepared. Those of you who do not wish to go through with this, please back out now. You will not be judged."

Meanwhile, on the surface, Connor Tavarin was sitting with his legs crossed in an ancient grove known simply as the Grove of Spirits. Eyes closed yet still aware of the world around him, Connor whispers a soft prayer to his family "Please forgive me for my weakness and see me through my life from here on...I will atone for what I have done..." he said before standing up. A myriad of different colored flowers surrounded the area he sat at. These flowers along with the ancient, broken down elven structures gave this area a peaceful, historical atmosphere. The elves had long since left this place and was now used by a nearby naturan tribe that Connor was now part of. He hears a voice from behind him, a voice he recognized as a woman from the tribe "Connor! Would you mind going to the plains to gather some herbs? We are running low and we don't want to be ill-prepared for sickness or injury." the woman said. Nodding his head without a word, Connor began sprinting away, leaping over the flowers to avoid crushing them. His speed was always awe-inspiring even to other naturan. Very few were able to keep up with him while sprinting. As he ran, he gazed at the sky towards the strange metal structure that loomed above the clouds. It worried him, but for now the safety of the tribe was more important. He did not like their leader or some of the warriors, but the people were kind.

as written by Script

Neryn was already out on the plains, at the top of the highest rise he could find. The blonde-haired naturan was sat cross-legged gazing up at the sky deep in thought. Around him, obvious to those sensitive to such things, a veritable cloud of spirits were gathered. His staff lay in the grass to his side.

It was the third day that he had attempted to glean something - anything - about the construct in the sky from the spirits and his magic. And thus far, it was looking likely to be the third day he would fail. It was simply too distant for him to sense anything, and the spirits themselves seemed to be just as ignorant as to its nature as he himself was.

Patience. Patience would bring answers, that's what Talyr would say. But what if they didn't have time for patience? What if whatever that thing brought, whatever it was, turned a hostile eye on them?

"They expect me to have the answers, master." he murmured, "But I have none. What do I say to them, when they ask if they will be safe? Do I lie, say that I have seen it so? Or terrify them by admitting I do not know..?"

Talyr would have known the right answer, but without him, Neryn was left to make thos decisions himself. He was not altogether certain he was ready for a crisis already.

as written by Karl der Große

He gave her a pat on the head. "You know," he started saying, in their family's language, "you would make your grandfather proud." "I know, dad. He loved these things, didn't he?" "Yes.." She had been training on the dummy in the room for some time. It was something she simply loved, like her grandfather, may he rest in peace. In her hand, she held their ax, that had been bought long ago by her father's father. Naturally, it had been reforged, though with the remains of the previous head, since, due to its age, it was simply unusable. She sat in a nearby chair, near a table.

"Take a seat, dad," she said. He did as she asked, "it seems they will be doing an expedition to the ground of the planet. I will go with them, father." "If it's for my permission you're asking, you know what I think. You can go." She got up and kissed her father in his cheek, before leaving the room, and then leaving the other room. In the hallway, she headed left, towards where the expedition team would reunite. Reaching there, she waited a few minutes, for the rest to come.

Sir Clarke said "this is it. The moment many of us have been waiting for...a new home. A new world. I thank you all for being here and being brave enough to take this first big step for our people. Within the hour, we will be taking our first step onto terrestrial soil for the first time in our lives. I hope you are all prepared. Those of you who do not wish to go through with this, please back out now. You will not be judged." When he finished what he said, a few had stepped back, leaving for the comfort of their homes. Felicia, naturally, stood there, with the others, awaiting for the man's command.

----------

Ragnarr looked up, seeing the immense floating structure in the sky. It had the power to strike fear in the hearts of common men. He, however, was a warrior, and thus, as he himself would say, he did not know the meaning of fear. Around the tribe, everyone talked and whispered about the structure. It was not something new, but now it seemed closer, as if now it decided to eye the planet in ways it hadn't up until now.

Ragnarr looked at the skies. He had no ability whatsoever to understand it, but he just wanted to look, see what would it do.

Felix gave a small smile and nodded to those who left and to those who stayed "Good. The mission objective is to establish a camp on the surface. The drop ship will contain the supplies needed to start pitching tents and analyzing the air and soil. We may come across some of the natives. Be warned we do not know what they are or how they'll react to us. Be on your guard, but keep your hands off your weapons until a threat presents itself. Let's move." he orders as they start stepping into the drop ship. Buckling into his seat, Felix is clearly tense about the mission. He looks over to Felicia "You're very brave to come along with us on this mission...I've heard rumors of you wanting to do this for a long time and meet the natives...just remember to be prepared for anything. They could be hostile." he said. It was clear he didn't trust whatever was down there, mostly out of fear for the safety of his team. The ship slowly lifted off the hangar and proceeded through the air lock after some preparation time. This has been tested time and time again for this very moment, and now the drop ship was entering the atmosphere of a planet. "Don't panic! This is normal!" Felix shouted as they push their way through the atmosphere.

Upon reaching the plains, Connor began going to work gathering herbs and other necessities for the tribe with his ax. After some time gathering, he looks over and notices Neryn sitting nearby. Walking over, he sat down with him and struck conversation "I figure you're also wondering what that...thing up there is as well, hm?" he said. Neryn was one of the few Connor considered friend in the tribe, so he was already comfortable with speaking to him. To anyone else he would either respond wordlessly or say very little. "It is a mystery, definitely. I've heard that even the elves are puzzled beyond understanding...I wonder what that could mean." he was about to say more, but he noticed something flying down towards the surface and quickly stood up "Something's falling..." he said, watching as the strange figure got closer. "Neryn, do you think it's...from that object? A piece of it?"

as written by Script

Neryn opened his eyes as he sensed Connor's approach, turning to greet him with a smile. He was fond of the gentle youth, despite the opinions of some of the other members of the clan, and was glad to be one of the few that he could speak with comfortably.

"I'm not surprised." he replied, sighing. "Even the spirits have no wisdom to grant me on its nature. I believe it to be truly foreign to Neryas, or else they would be able to tell me something."

It was then that he spotted what Connor did, and he rose along with him to watch it. "I see it. And I can see few other places it could have come from."

He followed the object's path with his eyes. "It looks set to land near the river towards the far side of the plains." he noted.

The second as the object fell seemed agonisingly long, but finally it impacted, kicking up a cloud of dirt and soil that obscured it from vision. He hesitated a moment, but his curiosity got the better of him. "I'm going to investigate. Feel free to come along." Neryn flashed Connor a grin before starting off towards the landing site at a run, staying low as much as he was able to remain undetected in case whatever the object was, was sentient.

Ragnarr lived further along the river, with his clan. A few times did they battle the clan of Neryn and Connor, but they were not enemies. And Ragnarr's respectful manners didn't do little in at least getting himself along with them.

Looking at the sky, he saw as the piece flew down from the 'Thing'; next he looked, he saw an immense cloud of dust as it smashed the ground underneath it like a giant hammer. He simply ran towards it, not knowing what it was, or what would happen. Uncertain of everything, his sole thought was his primary purpose: defense of the clan. In a certain sense, perhaps distorted, perhaps not, he acted like a robot bent upon defending his organic overlords. He certainly was much more, though, he thought.

As the ship touched down, Felix waited for the ship to fully settle before giving the order to move out. The ship's door opened, and the group was greeted with their first breath of natural air. It was overwhelming and even nauseous to some, and real gravity felt so much different from artificial that they had to get used to it. Felix remained stoic and composed, giving the order to start setting up a base camp "Get those samplers up and running. Make sure the soil is good for growing crops and the air truly is free of toxins." he said as the soldiers spread out, getting things set up. Felix helps some of them get on their feet after they stumble about, even helping with some of the construction.

Connor followed Neryn towards the ship, staying low to avoid detection. What he didn't expect were people to come out of the object. Strange people he had never seen before wearing oddly designed armor. It was smoother and more streamlined than elven armor and seemed to be adorned with cloth ornaments. Connor was at loss for words as these strangers began setting up what looked like a camp with odd devices strewn about. Eventually he leaned towards Neryn "What are these strange people? They look like elves, but not even elves have armor like that...and their ears are far too short and rounded..." he said. Truth is he was very interested in these strangers. He wondered where they came from and if they were friendly.

as written by Script

"They aren't elves... or naturan." Neryn murmured. He could sense the newcomers' life force with his magic, and it felt different to either of the peoples he knew. "But then, if they are from beyond Neryas, I suppose it is to be expected that they are not of a nature we are familiar with."

He glanced at Connor, "We ought to let the clan know that these strangers have arrived so close to our home." he noted, "We don't know their intent here. They may be dangerous - they bear weapons." The weapons that the foreign people carried were of familiar forms, albeit holding obvious differences in design. It was likely they were created for the same purposes, even if they differed somewhat - swords for slashing and stabbing, axes for rending and chopping, maces for crushing and breaking.

as written by LuLu6214

Inwë was awoken in a startle, the sound of the crash was the only thing to rouse her after she slept the day away. She had fallen asleep while sketching and collecting herbs to test their magical and elemental properties, she was overworked. She looked up to see a massive object in the sky and thus peeked her interest. She scrambles to find her book of notes and sketches the object to the best of her understanding. She picked up her gear and started off in the direction of the crash.

Her mind filled with the possibilities that could explain what the object was. Could it be spiritual or magical? Or maybe it's bad..."It could kill everything! No, wait. Maybe it could expand our knowledge and magical understanding." She was anxious at the thought.

She saw a couple of Naturan ahead of her and slowed down, keeping quiet. She noticed peculiar beings exiting funny little structures, that were too small to live in, a distance away. They looked like elves but were different and foreign to the world. She found an area to sit, out of sight and began to sketch what she saw and take notes so she could study them.

Against better thoughts, Ragnarr wanted to meet, perhaps even talk, with the beings. He slowed his pace as he got nearer, as to not startle the beings. As he got nearer, and nearer, he saw more of the beings, and what were they doing? It looked like they were setting a camp up. In the last moment, this emotion he found so strange, fear, got the best of him, and he knelt behind a bush right in front of him. He asked himself if he really wanted this, staying some time pondering his next action in silence.

In a fit of courage, or madness, Ragnarr silently got up and walked in slow but sure steps towards those creatures, hailing in the distance in the only language he knew his whole life, not really caring, or really thinking about, if they would understand him, "hey!"

as written by LuLu6214

Inwë sat there in awe and fear, she didn't have the courage to interact with these new beings outright she preferred to study them however Ragnarrs interaction would greatly accelerate her findings she just hoped he wouldn't get hurt. She grabs her equipment and moves closer. She finds a spot at the tree line hidden behind a bush and jots down more notes.

Connor nodded to Neryn "You go tell the clan...I'm going to try talking with them...perhaps if we approach them with no hostility, they won't harm us." he said quietly before placing his ax on the ground, leaving him unarmed. "I'll be fine, don't worry." he said before slowly approaching. He then hears another voice call out to the humans. It was Ragnarr. "What's he doing here...?"

A couple of the troops turned to face the voice, shouting in surprise at the lizard man. "What the hell is that?!" one of them shouted, reaching for his weapon. Felix stepped in and grabbed the soldier's hand "Stand down. If we draw our weapons at everything we risk angering the locals." he said sternly. Turning to Ragnarr, he salutes "My name is Felix Clarke. We mean you no harm." he says, gesturing around himself "We're...travelers, so to speak, seeking a new home." he said, trying to avoid hostile reactions.

Seeing this situation with Ragnarr, Connor stepped back "Ragnarr from the other clan is already speaking with them...I'll stay here and make sure this doesn't get out of hand. Go tell the clan, I'll be fine." he said to Neryn.

as written by Ninjero

Altris didn't have any particular interest in the strange object at first. In fact, he only volunteered for the task because it took him far away from the city and gave him lots of freedom to work on his own. Both his organization and the elves had plenty of theories about the object. He had been gathering information about the reactions and theories from the various naturan clans, and followed Neryn and Connor when they heard the crash. He noted that Inwe had also responded to the crash, and quickly positioned himself further away in the same treeline so as to not be noticed by the elf. He planned to send copies of her sketches down the pipeline along with his own findings.

He was excited to see people emerge from the falling object, and made a series of mental notes about the amount of people and the equipment they were carrying. He was here to do a job, and things had suddenly gotten interesting. His senses told him that these people were unlike anything on Neryas, but their armor and weapons suggested their fighting abilities weren't radically different. Their non-combative items and structures were much more puzzling, including the large structure that they appeared out of. Altris privately wondered whether he might be able to sneak inside and use it to escape to whatever strange place these people came from, but knew the dangers of such thinking. He would need to report back before risking direct contact with their new visitors.

For now, he watched as the reptilian Naturan approached the group. He knew that the other Naturans and the elf would also base their impressions upon his interaction, so he was prepared to act quickly if things got out of hand.

Karl der Große

The lizard bowed, "my name is Ragnarr," he started saying, his weird accent standing out, "I hail from the Sezan clan, further to the east."

He wasn't wearing much in terms of armor, just some light clothing, which contrasted with the somewhat worn out iron helm that covered the entirety of his head, having only a few holes for his eyes, nose and for his floppy ears, and a separated portion for his jaw.

"You're.. seeking a new home, you say? May I ask where was it that you lived before? I mean.. according to our ancestors' stories, that thing," he looked and pointed at their spaceship, "which I'm assuming you have come from, wasn't always there."

as written by Script

Neryn nodded his head, though hesitantly, and glanced around. He could sense the life energies of the others in the area. "Be careful. There are others around, elves I think. There's no reason they ought to wish you ill, but that impact will draw more attention, potentially from clans that we have bad blood with. I'll return as soon as I can."

With that, he turned and took off at a run, practically skimming across the grass as he made a beeline for the trees.

Felix thought about how to answer Ragnarr's question "Well Ragnarr...that's a difficult question to answer. Our home is...was...far away. Further away than anywhere you've ever been and ever will be." he said. "That's as much as I'm permitted to say to you right now, but please tell your people we don't mean any harm. We are open to speaking peacefully."

Connor gave a sigh of relief to hear that they were so willing to speak. He stood up, making his presence known. A soldier looked over to Felix "Sir, there's another one...I think. He isn't a lizard like the other one." he said. Felix looks over to Connor and makes a note that there seemed to be many strange beings on this planet "The natives are curious. This could work to our advantage. You there! No need to be alarmed. Go about your business." he shouted to Connor. Connor, however, just sat down and kept a curious watch over the humans. Felix shrugged "Let him do as he wishes." he said. A few tents were already set up along with some of their scanners. Felix watched the monitors for a moment "Air's clean as we suspected...soil's good..." he nods several times to himself before looking back towards Ragnarr "What are your people called?" he asks.

as written by LuLu6214

Inwë was intrigued by the new visitors and decided she would accelerate her findings by adding herself to the equation. She grabbed her equipment and moved closer. She decided that based on her findings she would accelerate the process by introducing herself into the equation. Nervously she steps out from her hiding spot clutching her notebook against her chest. If things go bad she at least had her weapons but she hoped it wouldn't come to that. Maybe she could help them if they needed assistance. "I wonder how versed they are in magic." she thought to herself..."maybe we can share information and expand our knowledge." she was excited at the thought of what was about to happen.

as written by Ninjero

Altris looked out across the grass at the soldiers setting up camp and speaking with the Naturans. He was a bit annoyed at the newcomer's non-answer to the Naturan's question. It had crashed down from out of the sky, and he wanted to know how. He was surprised to see the girl elf venture out before him. Surely she also suspected that they may be using some strange magic they have yet to reveal. What an hopelessly inquisitive bunch we all are. he thought to himself. He certainly wasn't planning on casting his lot in with the other doe-eyed youth approaching the strangers one by one, but he kept watching to learn more about the visitors.

"We are the Naturan," Ragnarr started saying, "we vary a lot in our appearance, as you can see." He made a pause, gathering his thoughts, "there are also elves around here, they're another people in these lands. Mind if I ask of you what your people are called, in turn? And also, I'm curious about all this. What kind of power is this you use, and that you used to get down from that?" He pointed to the thing in the sky as he finished his sentence.

"And what's with that about the air being clean and the soil good? Why would it not be?"

Back