New User New Member, Rusty Roleplayer

Jas

Exceptionally Common
Forum Moderator: Arena
Hi, all! My name is Jason.

I'm a 34-year-old engineer in Pennsylvania, and I started roleplaying on forums in 2002. As a 17-year-old, one finds oneself with far more time than responsibility, and it is easy to stay active in roleplays and to devote the time necessary to developing one's posts.

As time waxes on, time becomes scarce and responsibility heavy. I stayed active--intermittently--on forums, but I ended up shying away from roleplay, because it took too much time and effort to maintain. However, as a result, certain things begin to atrophy: I found myself lacking creativity, inspiration, and even my technical writing began to take a slump. It was a slow process, but it's finally caught up with me.

I find myself in a position to strive for roleplay to reverse this atrophy, as well as to form new bonds and be part of a greater whole.

I hope to meet and interact with many of you, and to write some awesome stories together!

Nice to meet you Jas. Looks like you've got Cloud from Final Fantasy as the Avatar. Been a while since I saw any of that. Anyway, if you haven't had a chance to check out the Approval Guide that's the best way to get familiar with the site and get rolling on finding your next role play. What kind of role play writing do you prefer? Do you like group role plays, 1x1? Also, what genres do you prefer?

Nice to meet you as well, Silence. Yeah, it's a pretty-boy version of Cloud that I used on another site some time ago. I didn't really know what to use so I just kinda fell back on what I had. Anyway, I appreciate the plug for the approval guide. I have given it a read, but it might do to give it another one. Thanks!

In roleplay I like both group and 1x1, but I think I like 1x1 more, mostly because in my experience, there is too much waiting in groups. Not that it's anyone's fault, necessarily, but the nature of the beast. For that reason, groups of more than about 4 would probably prevent me from playing

For genres, I'm pretty flexible. Thinking about some of the characters I have used, it would seem I favor fantasy over sci-fi, but either of those is good. I find myself getting bored with realism, though.

I saved the one that confused me for last. "What kind of role play writing do you prefer?" I'm really not sure what this question is asking, but I can interpret it two ways, so I'll answer both of those. And if I don't answer the question you're asking, please feel free to clarify it!

If you're asking about the venue (forum, chat/discord, etc.), I would have to go with forum-based. The medium is slower, encouraging the players to take a bit more time and produce higher-quality work (granted, it's at the expense of time). I would not be opposed to some faster chat-based roleplay either, but forums are my preference.

If instead you're asking about the nature of role plays (e.g., combat, survival, slice-of-life, horror/thiller, etc.), it's less cut-and-dry. I do prefer the nature of writing for combat, I think, because you have to be specific, creative, and detailed. I like to picture that time slows down, because you spend a few paragraphs describing one or two maneuvers. Makes me feel like I have a superpower or something. But I digress. I also really like apocalyptic or dystopian stories. They are generally a lot of fun.

Wow, that got a bit long! I didn't mean to hit you with a wall of text. How about yourself? How do you prefer to roleplay?

Welcome to STC Jason!!
Roleplaying is a great way to increase creativity so I'm sure you'll find it!!
Please enjoy yourself! And if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.​

Hey, thanks for the warm welcome. If I run into any questions, I'll ask for sure. See you around!

Yeah I get a bit rambly sometimes (mostly when I'm nervous).

But you know me, I can post pretty quickly when I want to.

Well said! I get what you mean by taking time to describe things. Typically I enjoy 1x1 role plays. However, my tendency leans away from fantasy and I like to use some plausible elements. However, I'm open to some impossible situations and settings. Every once in a while an impossible setting is cool, kinda like Journey to the Center of the Earth and other Jules Verne stories. I think he wrote the best kind of books. Creative with elements of plausibility. If that doesn't quite make sense let me know. In my mind that describes my sort of style and interest in writing.

No, that made perfect sense. I used to love 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea when I was a kid. Especially in its day, it was virtually an impossibility, but Verne described it in a very realistic manner.

Back