New RPer question: When you start a roleplay, do you always know how or when it should end?

Spiraliite

When you start a roleplay, how common is it to set a limit or boundary? I know alot of answers to this probably would be something like, "Anything is possible, just talk it over OOC". But I'm curious to know how common it is to set arbitrary limits upon starting a new RP story. Like "I would like to have this story wrapped up in about 20 pages" or indefinite "My character's story will be pretty much complete after their big cathartic reunion."

I'm curious if most RPs fall into the categories of type A/B:

Type A RPs: They fizzle out mid-narrative as people get busy or distracted by newer, shinier projects
Type B RPs: The writing is fire and they go on forever and ever! New plot points are introduced and completed in one long glorious never ending story!

Does this make it harder to set up character arcs, pacing, climaxes for type B RPs?

Thoughts?

Personally, I've had quite a few Type A and Type B RPs. There are multiple reasons that a Type B might fizzle out and it isn't always due to a shiny new project or getting busy. More often I've found that the problem is due to poor character development or an ill match in writing partners.

I've had a few Type A roleplays and honestly I think that they were successful because the writing partner I had was a good match. We bounced off each other's post pretty well and kept an open line of communication.

Boundaries for me are usually what kind of thing I will or will not write. If I set a boundary on time it is normally something that I try to talk about in advance with my writing partner, or suggest an end when it feels natural in a story.

Personally, I've had quite a few Type A and Type B RPs. There are multiple reasons that a Type B might fizzle out and it isn't always due to a shiny new project or getting busy. More often I've found that the problem is due to poor character development or an ill match in writing partners.

I've had a few Type A roleplays and honestly I think that they were successful because the writing partner I had was a good match. We bounced off each other's post pretty well and kept an open line of communication.

Boundaries for me are usually what kind of thing I will or will not write. If I set a boundary on time it is normally something that I try to talk about in advance with my writing partner, or suggest an end when it feels natural in a story.
Okay thanks for the perspective! It helps alot knowing in advance of starting my first RP.

Back