No Screams, No Stars

Ignition

Good morning, Morioh-Cho!
Hey guys!

So I kind of had a bit of a weird idea spawning from a dream a while ago, but I thought I'd put it up here and see if anyone would be interested in this as a possible RP.

The basic idea is as follows; the player characters each play as a horror trope: a werewolf, vampire, mummy, zombie, or even going into more unique stuff like a skinwalker, a merman, or anything else that can be devised. It if fits within the annals of oldschool B-movie horror, it works for this roleplay.

The player group, consisting of monstrous humanoids of all kinds, find themselves kidnapped from modern-day Earth and brought to a far flung alien world called Xragos. There, they are forced into gladiatorial combat in a galactic tournament, where they vie for a chance at freedom from calculating alien masters.

It's a bit simple to start, but the basic idea sort of goes from there. But one thing I feel like I'd want to stress is to avoid the common missteps of idealized horror. In this universe, vampires die in sunlight, werewolves cannot completely control their changed form, ghosts are immaterial most of time, etc, etc. A few films that would be good examples of the direction I want to go would be Van Helsing, American Werewolf in London, Interview With a Vampire, and the Buffy series in general.

Anyway, I always wanted to do something horror-related, and the whole sci-fi backdrop could make it unique since it's basically alien monsters and tech vs. the supernatural. Let me know if you guys have any suggestions and if you're interested!

Greetings!

I have interest in this, though I have a few clarification questions. How would the "gladiatorial combat in a galactic tournament" work? I hypothesize there are other ways to work with "alien monsters and tech vs the supernatural" than a tournament. A gladiatorial tournament seems like a problem without a structure or way to "fight".
Are mythical / horror creatures ( different than already humanoid creatures ) available to use as well? Either as familiars or player characters that could transform into them?
Questions about my questions? Feel free to ask!
Thanks for sharing your idea!

~Tay

Greetings!

I have interest in this, though I have a few clarification questions. How would the "gladiatorial combat in a galactic tournament" work? I hypothesize there are other ways to work with "alien monsters and tech vs the supernatural" than a tournament. A gladiatorial tournament seems like a problem without a structure or way to "fight".
Are mythical / horror creatures ( different than already humanoid creatures ) available to use as well? Either as familiars or player characters that could transform into them?
Questions about my questions? Feel free to ask!
Thanks for sharing your idea!

~Tay

I guess when I mean gladiatorial combat, I mean like each player would be pitted against a different opponent, like an alien monster or intergalactic bounty hunter, in this case to the death. Like I said, that's really a basic idea, and honestly it can change to something more free form but still taking place on an alien world if the people will it.

As for your other question about mythical and horror creatures, yeah, those would be totally fine. As long as it more or so fits kind of a b-movie horror feel, it's fine.

I'm going to brainstorm a little more tomorrow and flesh this out a little bit more, but the back and forth helps me come up with ideas.

I guess when I mean gladiatorial combat, I mean like each player would be pitted against a different opponent, like an alien monster or intergalactic bounty hunter, in this case to the death. Like I said, that's really a basic idea, and honestly it can change to something more free form but still taking place on an alien world if the people will it.

As for your other question about mythical and horror creatures, yeah, those would be totally fine. As long as it more or so fits kind of a b-movie horror feel, it's fine.

I'm going to brainstorm a little more tomorrow and flesh this out a little bit more, but the back and forth helps me come up with ideas.

As an avid RPGer, I was wondering how you would prevent cheating and godmodding in the combat scenarios. I'm not trying to shoot down the gladiatorial combat; I just wish to prevent people from losing interest because of one thing or another.

Some of the creatures I was thinking about were the Akhlut, Kelpie/Hippocampus, Chimera/Manticore and Pegasus. I was also curious how you pictured a Wraith might appear in this... As in a player character Wraith.

Feel free to brainstorm with me!
Thanks!

~Tay

Ummm, wouldn't this be considered a "T1 Tournament"?
Maybe ask Tiko if that's an option.

Back