Of Monsters and Men

Kitty almost reached out to touch one, but decided against it at the last second, watching the lights drift past. Why weren't these lights orange? Why were they cold colors? She shivered again, rubbing her thumbs over her elbows.

Passing houses, she fully expected something to pop out of each... doorway? What she assumed to be the doorways, at least. That only seemed to make her more anxious, which, in turn, only fed her mental exhaustion.

By the time they stopped at one, they could see the other end of the place. The trees, tall and dark and somehow growling at them from the distance.
They were standing just in front of the black, opaque rectangle most buildings had.

"Alright, hold on to my arm or something now. We're going to walk in, and this is new for you" Said Ezra, his voice raspy. He coughed a couple of times afterwards.

She gave him a wary look. One that asked if she dared believe him, or even if she wanted to be inside. Lack of trust won out in the end, and Kitty shook her head.

He was tired, damnit!.

Ezra forcefully grabbed Kitty by the arm and opened his mouth. A few clicks and whistles and he pulled her in through the black surface and into the house. Letting go of her as soon as they crossed.

There was an open room, with something that resembled a kitchen, bean chairs to sit on and a table with three chairs around it. All a couple of steps down from the door.
There was also a non lit fireplace and a couple of rugs, wooden bookshelves and a charging phone. It was pluged into one of the walls, no outlets.
At the back, two trapdoors that led further down into the building.

Could Kitty have said that she tried to run? Maybe in her mind she did. Unfortunately the rest of her hadn't listened, and she was sucked into that scary black portal.

Portal/doorway.

Either way, it was serious surprise that she lived through it. Now how did she get out again?

Ezra glared at her.

"Don't make things harder than they have to be." He saud, walking to a bug black rectangular prism in the kitchen-look alike area. He made another set of noises and put his hand through it, bringing back a red apple when he pulled back.

Nothing happened, it was still hard and cold like dry rain.

"Here, your room is downstairs to the left. It has a bathroom and there's clothes in the wardrobe." Ezra was offering her the apple as he spoke.

Kitty turned back to Ezra, ignoring the apple almost entirely. "I've already got a home." She stated.

"Good for you. This is mine, and you're a guest. Behave like one. Go to the guest room and take your apple." He said, glaring at her still.

Somewhere between really annoyed and quite terrified, she took the apple and went to where Ezra had directed. What was she supposed to do? Refuse? Like that was even an option....

Kitty flicked the apple between her fingers, not at all thinking about eating it.

Ezra watched her go down the stairs and closed the trapdoor over her. He didn't lock it or anything, if she decided to come out she wouldn't be going anywhere.
He sighed, again, and went to his own room. Once there he could let his light slip through the skin and rest.

The room Kitty walked into wasn't big but it was... Surprisingly normal. It was a bedroom, with a made bed that had green sheets and a greener blanket. There were book shelves with textbooks, novels and comics. A fluffy teddy wolf rested on the bed.
The wardrobe was half open, there were clothes hanging. Next to the shelves was a desk with a chair, but that was emptier than the rest of the room.
To her right there was an actual, normal, wooden door.

Kitty paused upon entering the room and looked it over one more time. A small part of her was absolutely giddy to see a normal bedroom again, whereas the other part wondered how many other people had lived here that were now dead.

She set the apple on the bed and, for a moment, seemed torn between books and the wooden door. The door won, however, and she opened it gently to see what lay inside.

Inside was a black and white bathroom. To the right, a toilet. Besides it there were about four packages of toilet paper, unopened. In front of kitty stood a bathroom sink, with a cabinet right under. To her left, a bathtub that could also work as a shower, it seemed. It didn't have any windows, and it was rather small.

Disappointment. But then, what else would she have hoped for? It wasn't like being underground was liable to lead anywhere. Kitty closed the door again with a huff and sat down on the bed. The apple rolled over and bumped against her leg. She picked it up.

Examining its shiny red surface, the girl contemplated. She was trapped. The doors were some sort of magic, and she couldn't leave the house. Besides, the trapdoor was probably locked.

There were two options, she determined: stay awake, or don't. Kitty had no intention of changing her outfit to shower or to sleep, so instead found refuge underneath the bed's sheets still wearing her own clothing. At least she had the sense to remove her shoes and bag, but kept her jacket on.

After a few hours, she'd wake up to the sound of music and the smell of food from the kitchen upstairs. There were voices as well, one of them was Ezra's. The other one was new, hard to tell the gender of the speaker only from listening.

It smelled like eggs, bacon and toasted bread.

Kitty clawed the pillow over her ears. She was dreaming, right? These voices, sounds, and smells weren't real? It was unclear wether she wanted them to be fake or hoped they weren't.

The trapdoor opened just slightly; just enough for her to see what was happening. It was a heavy debate wether breakfast was an option or not.

She couldn't see the whole room, but she could see most of it from where she was looking.

There was Ezra, standing at the kitchen and cooking something. He was now wearing different, more comfortable-looking clothes and he didn't have his locked hair tied up. There was someone sitting at the table with their back to Kitty, looked very human from that angle at least. They were both talking.

"So you're delaying the next class then?, that's unlike you" Said the newcomer. Ezra hummed in response.

"You know that's going to mess up entire schedules, right?" They said again.

"I know you have access to substitute teachers, so don't try that with me." Said Ezra, sounding serious but with an amused undertone to it.

The newcomer chuckled. "I should've known better than to try that..."

Kitty was almost convinced. If she hadn't'd seen Estraven last night, and if Ezra's eyes weren't still oddly glowing, she might have assumed that the newcomer and Ezra were simple humans. She might have come out from under the trapdoor and thought of eating breakfast. She might even had cleaned the dirt off her hands, but it was not so.

Quietly, she let the trapdoor close again. Kitty crept back into the bedroom and hid under the covers again. It wasn't like they wouldn't find her eventually.

"Why am I really here?" said the newcomer.

"You showed up at my door and demanded breakfast, light path." Said Ezra with a sigh, finishing up the eggs and baccon. He put one egg and a few pieces of meat on each plate.

"You can use my human name, if you want... I'm wearing the vessel after all" Said the other, a small smile on his face.

"Fine. Abel, will you go get the human?. It's early, but she has to get up eventually." He said, going for some juice, and a jug of fresh milk.

"Sure, Ezra" He replied with a hint of mischief on his voice.

Kitty would hear the trapoor open fully, and hear someone lighter than Ezra come down the stairs.
In her sight was a human-looking young man, around 20 years old. He had long white hair, braided, very light skin and the same as Ezra's bright blue eyes. He wore clothes made from pelts, handmade, it seemed.

"Hey Late to Dinner, it's time for breakfast" He said in a singsong tone.

Back