Olympian's Blood 1x1

Maroe's eyes drifted closed against her will and she found herself in a familiar place. She stood in the base of a mountain and it was bitter cold as the wind swept through. There were people walking around, but only as shadows shrouded by the heavy snow fall.

"Hello? Hey?!"

Maroe tried calling out to them but they couldn't her over the roar of the wind, until one by one they began to fall screaming.

Tumbling forward, she ran through the snow and came to the closest shadow. A little girl had fallen with a look of horror frozen on her face. A jagged spike had pierced her heart and her body transformed to solid gold. More screams echoed in the distance and more shadows fell. Maroe ran to each but they all fell before she could help them. "No, no, no!"

The last face she turned over was an older woman with crows feet at her eyes and curled bound forever in solid gold hair. "Gramma?!"

Jolting awake, Maroe sat up panting and covered in a cold sweat. Her nails were dug into each side of the seat, and partially into Theo's hand. A half panicked look around the cabin told her they were slowing down. They had arrived in Queens.

Theo was roused by Maroe's unexpected jolt, and nearly jumped out of his skin himself, his eyes widened to the size of dinner plates. He stared at Maroe, holding his breath, before exhaling heavily, closing his eyes again, slipping his hand out from under Maroe's to rub his face as he slowly but surely awakened. He still looked exhausted as usual, and he dropped his arms, looking at Maroe through his green weary eyes. His expression showed a hint of concern as he saw the state Maroe was in.

"Did... something happen...?" He asked slowly, yawning, causing tears to form in his eyes which he promptly rubbed out. There was still no sign of Theresa...

It took her a moment to think about what Theo was asking. She blinked at him a few times and then swallowed. "No..I'm fine." It was a terrible lie and she knew it, but she sucked it up, despite the fact that her heart was racing a mile a minute and then unfolded out of her seat. Her legs were shaking and horribly stiff from having fallen asleep.

Wobbling her way to the end of the row, she picked up her back pack on the way. Where was Theresa? "Theresa didn't come back," she mumbled sleepily, realizing the woman was missing, "We gotta go find her. She's our way to Mr. S."

Throwing the backpack over her shoulder. Maroe made her way to the dining car where Theresa was.

Theo gazed at her for a short moment, before examining his palm, her nails broke the skin in some places... He sighed, and glanced out of the window, grabbing his journal..

Theresa wasn't where she was when Maroe had stormed off. She was at the table across from them, clutching the stem of a vibrantly colored lily. She was snoozing with her head on the table, her arms under her head, wearing a soft sweater, acted as a pillow. Her hair seemed a bit disheveled, and she'd left her purse at the booth they'd been at yesterday. She was snoozing silently, an employee had draped a thin baby blue blanket over her shoulders. Her hand that seemed to have a periwinkle colored silken glove was curled around the lily's stem, grasping it tightly, even in her sleep...

Maroe walked over and grabbed the girl's purse and then gave Theresa a little nudge with her hand. "Hey...hey...we're here."

"What...?" She asked, confused due to the fact that she didn't know when she had fallen asleep due to sheer exhaustion. Her dainty fingers curled around the plant tighter as Theresa woke, she leaned back, the blanket sliding off of her body...

"How long was I.... Where... Have you talked with Theo...?" She asked, seemingly unable to form a question. Now that her guard wasn't up, she seemed almost just as tired as Theo, who'd been on his own until he met Maroe... Maybe even broken. She inhaled air sharply, and exhaled slowly, as if to yawn, and slid out of the booth, combing her hair back into place with an unsteady hand, the one that was bare.

"Yeah, I talked with him," Maroe said, letting her wake up, "We're in Queens now and it's time for you to take us to Mr. S." She didn't sound overly thrilled about the prospected of walking right into the guys front door, but this was the only way to clear things up it seemed. Offering Theresa her purse, Maroe waved her forward. "Let's go."

She collected Theo and stepped down the steps to the platform. The snow was still coming down in large, fluffy flakes collecting on her hat and the shoulders of her coat. That trip had been such a waste for them to end up right back where they started, and it annoyed her a bit, but they were there and they were going to settle this once and for all.

"I'm following you," she said to Theresa, "Just know I'm not going to be thrilled if someone tries to attack."

"Alright... It's only a mile walk from here..." She whispered, rubbing her eyes as she stood, and took her purse, and slipped the lily into her purse... "Let's go..." She sighed, reluctant to get going... She took a sugar packet without her realization, and began rolling it in her hands like she usually did. She walked into the cabin that Theo was sleeping in, and scoffed.

"You drool in your sleep." She said under her breath to Theo, and walked out onto the platform, shivering, wrapping her new blanket around her shoulders. Theo stared at Theresa incredulously, before shaking his head. His attention was drawn elsewhere in the distance, his eyes locking with something in the flurry of snow that made him draw his sword...

Maroe walked along following Theresa, and Theo. Being reliant on the woman to take them where then needed to go was a bit annoying, but it wasn't like Maroe could take the lead herself. Trudging along in the dirty snow past the mid-sized sky scrapers, she pulled her coat tighter over her neck, and adjusted her scarf against the harsh wind packed with falling snow. The temperature had to be in the teens or lower. Suddenly, Theo came to a stop and she saw a flash of bronze. He was drawing his sword. A ping of alertness went through her nerves and she looked up to see three shadows cutting through the dim grey of the snow. Three familiar silhouettes stalking toward them and looking none too happy. Simon, Blondie, and Shortstack.

"Well, this could be interesting," she commented to Theo as she unlashed her whip from her hip.

Shortie's eyes were trained on Maroe... So were Simon's. Theo looked at Theresa expectantly...

"This was a set up wasn't it?" Theo asked bitterly, gripping his sword tightly as the three quickly closed in on Maroe.

"N-no! I swear!" Theresa explained quickly, standing between Maroe and Chloe. "Chloe, stand down!" She cried, but to no avail. Shorty tossed her aside, and glared at Maroe, ready to skin her alive.

"Stop! Don't fight! Chloe is just trying to make you look bad!" Theresa said, getting back to her feet, Chloe was less than ten feet from Maroe, ready to fight in the middle of the blizzard. "Chloe, you are supposed to protect us while we get to base, not killing us!" Chloe didn't listen, and stormed forward. But before Maroe had the opportunity to strike, Theresa exploded.

"I'll tell!" She shouted over the fury of winter. Chloe stopped dead in her tracks. She glared at Theresa, and at Maroe... She stared a moment, before walking back to the other two... Theo was silent, as white as chalk.... After a long, and rather uncomfortable pause, Theresa took the lead again, and began leading them back to the base, everyone following suit...

A set up. That's exactly what this looked like and Maroe was already in a bad mood from the dream. The three of them rounded on her, all glaring but only the short one started in for an attack, tossing Theresa aside. Just seeing her throw Theresa sparked an anger that could easily grow into much more, but she ignored the signs. "You want to fight so bad, well leave her alone and come get it short-stack," she challenged through clenched teeth.

Therea yelled something and the fun-sized little demi-god stopped in her tracks. Maroe gripped her whip in one hand and planted her feet into the concrete ready for anything, concentrating on Chloe and the other two. Her heart was racing with the effort. If they wanted a fight they could come get it and they would regret it.

Whatever Theresa had said made them stop though. I'll tell. Tell Mr. S? Were they so bound to the guy that it would stop what were clearly murderous intentions? Shooting Chloe a hard look, Maroe straightened and followed Theresa, careful not to let the short one get behind her. She wasn't about to take a dagger to the back . "I don't like this Theo," she said under her breath, trying to bring down her heart rate. Her hands were shaking as she put the whip back on her belt.

Theresa lead them through the city as the snow turned from a hard fall to a full out blizzard around them.

Theo was shivering cold,staying close to Maroe. Theresa led them, the other three following. The snow howled at them louder and the temperature dropped further.

"I don't either. Maybe we can figure this out when we get to this S man... He obviously has a lot of influence..." He muttered, staying close...

"It's us. Theresa, Simon, Ben, and Chloe. We also have Theo and his accomplice, Maroe... In total, six. Will you let us pass you?" She yelled over the storm, after rapping on a metal door. The door unlocked, and a boy pulled the door open, about the same age as Maroe and the others. It was quiet in the large warehouse like building. It had concrete halls leading to different rooms with little decor or people filling the hall. Theresa gestured to follow with her head, and the rest followed suit...

Maroe kicked the ice off her boots as they entered a large building with concrete walls. It was hardly warmer inside and resembled a prison more than a space to live. She hissed at Theresa for being called an accomplice. It implied guilt and Maroe wasnt guilty. She didn't feel guilty for misleading them either.

There were random bits of decor and people staring at them as they walked past, undoubtedly other demi gods. Glancing to Theo, she saw he looked nervous. So was she. Maroe stepped a bit closer till their shoulders touched. "Stay close."

Theo's face was rigid as he stared down the cold hall. His teeth clenched and his eyes wide, somewhere far, far away from here. The most she got from him was a brief nod, and he kept following Theresa, clutching his fists. Theresa didn't look too happy either, but her pace quickened as they approached a door at the end of the seemingly mile long hall. A demigod tapped Simon's shoulder, and the three demigods broke away, walking off to different rooms.
Theresa stopped at the door, reluctant to open it. She knocked, staring at the ground...

"Come in..." The same raspy voice from the phone call said coming from the room, and Theresa opened the door, and stepped in, stepping out of the way for two demigods. Theo stepped into the warm room, for it had a warm radiator heating the air. The room was simple, a small mahogany desk sat in the far end of the small room. There was a shelf, with assorted trophies and books, and of course, a fish tank. On the desk was a stack of papers, next to a few writing utensils in a metal cup. There was a globe, and a computer, with a mouse and keyboard behind them. There was a winged chair, turned away from them... Maroe heard a snap of a book closing, and the chair turned around.

In the winged black swivel chair was a man holding a book, which he promptly set aside to speak with the guests. He was dressed sharply, in a black tweed jacket, a loose tie tucked into it. over a white undershirt. He wore slacks, that disappeared under the desk. He smiled from ear to ear as if he was elated to see them. He seemed to be in his late twenties or early thirties. He had his thick brown hair gelled back as if he was ready for a date, and he beamed up at the two demigods.

"Welcome, welcome!" He said loudly, with his raspy voice, his face full of joy as he threw his arms in the air as if he saw an old friend. "It's Theo. And, who do I owe the pleasure to?" He asked, his eyes piercing Maroe, a stormy blue color, and for a second it seemed like energy crackled inside of his iris...

Maroe walked in beside Theo feeling tense, as her fists tightened in her jacket pockets. At nobody had thought to ask for their weapons, though she wouldn't have given them up anyways. They walked into what seemed like an office of sorts and she noted the objects around the room...computer..desk...fish tank...no other exits. Mr. S himself seemed to have thing for the theatrics as he turned in his chair like a super villian from a Sunday morning cartoon. To her surprise, he looked much younger than he sounded, with his jacket and tie topped off with neatly combed hair. He looked more akin to a professor instead. It reminded her a bit of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

He welcomed them as if he'd known them for years and then his eyes turned to her. She caught the hint of something more from him and it set her teeth on edge. "My name is Maroe," she replied flatly, "And I'm here for answers."

"Ah! I spoke to you over the phone. It's nice to put a face to the name. Most people know me as Snake, or simply Mr. S." He said, smiling broadly, pushing himself out of the chair, and briskly striding from behind the chair, and extended a hand to shake Maroe's. Theo seemed uneasy, and visibly too, clutching his pant leg with his hand, and his other was shoved in his pocket. Mr. S eyes seemed to almost dilate as he examined Maroe, sizing her up while maintaining his movie star smile that seemed glued onto his face.

Maroe stared at him. Not only was he trying to shake hands, but he was staring a bit to hard and had ignored her question. It gave her the creeps, and set the hairs on the back of her neck on end. Mr. Snake? Because that wasn't foreboding or sounded completely innocent.... "Um, I have cold," she shrugged, not bothering to meet his hand,"Wouldn't want to give to you. So, Mr. Snake...or S. Interesting place you have here, but I can't say I'm entirely thrilled about it. In fact, I'd rather figure out why it is you've brought me all the way back to Queens while I was on vacation?"

Mr. S shrugged, and sat back down at his desk, glancing between the two.

"Well. You wanted to speak with me, or so I heard from Theresa here." He said, gesturing to her, which she had sunk into a small chair into the corner. "You say you want answers, but to what questions?" He asked, his fingers intertwining as he rested his hands in his lap.

Maroe stole a glance at Theo and saw how nervous he was. He was going to clam up and not even ask things for himself? Sighing, she turned her green eyes to the serpent in front of her. "I want to know why you think Theo is guilty of anything. Where's your evidence? Your proof? Surely you wouldn't hand him over to certain death without bothering to even think about that."

"Maroe..." He began. "I've recieved word from the gods that Theo has been accused of countless offenses. I feel more inclined to trust the words of primordial beings than the gut instinct of a fifteen year old." He said, his piercing eyes seemed to be searching her...

"Now, I do understand the gods can be deceitful at times, but doesn't the need of the many outweigh the needs of one? I could use my wish to feed my children I house here everyday. Doesn't that sound nice? A feast every day, for a family of happy, and hungry demigods?" He asked, smiling up at her.

Back