Olympian's Blood 1x1

He looked even worse and Maroe knew the fangs had to be poisonous, but it wasn't like there was an anti-venom for demon bites. Mumbling something about his pocket, she wondered if he had medicine there, considering he knew of the monsters as well. Diving her hand into his pocket, she pulled out a square of something in a ziplock bag. Her grandmother snatched the bag out of her hand, opened it, and pushed the item into the boys mouth. "Chew it," she ordered.

He obediently began chewing; He didn't really have a reason not to. The pain was numbed tremendously as he swallowed the sweet food of the gods. It would make the poison spread slower, but it didn't make him want to talk or move... He wasn't sure if he could trust them yet... yes she had saved him, but too many betrayals and deaths have happened before him to trust anyone easily anymore... He began chuckling despite the pain... He'd totally lost it. He was hanging onto life by a thread despite all his troubles, and just for what...? No one would know who he is... He was alone and in a house full of strangers...

The medicine must have been powerful, because he started to relax, his expression going from pained to a hazy sort of slack look, until he started chuckling. Maroe raised a brow at him skeptically and glanced at her grandmother, who ignored the sound. "Go into the kitchen, and get cleaned up." The girl did as she was told, leaving the injured boy alone with the older woman.

Her grandmother took a pair of scissors from the night stand and cut away the boys shirt so she could clean the boys mangled arm with a clean gauze doused in alcohol. "Brace yourself, kiddo." Pressing the cold cloth to the wounds she started wiping up the mess, picking out the debris as she went. Any protest or outcry from the boy was met with a quiet. "Shhh. Almost done."

When she finished, she started working on bandaging him up. If he truly was one of them, he would heal quickly with the ambrosia.

Maroe sat in her chair across from the bed after having showered the grime off and combed her blonde hair into curls at the end. It always did that no matter what she did to it. She chose her thickest sweatpants and hoodie to curl up into before settling in and staring at the boy. He was still asleep with the occasional fevered word or groan. She'd never met anyone else who could see what she saw. Even her grandmother couldn't see them all, but this boy had. He was like her, which meant he probably ran all of the time too. Shifting in the chair, she grabbed up her fluffy blanket and tossed it over his legs so he wouldn't get cold, then went back to her seat to sleep.

He was dreaming of the lamia, poisoning his body, but also his dreams... It was when they'd first met two days ago, yet he let her get so close to him...

He had been waiting inside a mall, waiting for it to close... He was sobbing in the restroom, pondering what he'd done to get all his friends killed... He stepped out, and began walking out, when he walked straight into the Lamia...

"Oh, I'm sorry, I should've watched where I was going..." The lamia said, behind a dozen shopping bags. He'd been knocked to the ground, looking up at the source of the voice. She was a tall, beautiful woman, brunette locks of hair tumbled around her shoulder, perfectly framing her face. She had deep red eyes, slit pupil like a reptile's, but he didn't seem to notice, or didn't want to... She helped him up, but he was too awestruck to say anything, captivated by her perfectly narrow cheekbones accenting her cherry red lips. She wore tight leggings, and a thin blue sweater, jewelry draped on her neck, ankles, and pierced to her ears, golden snakes spiraling up...

"Hello...?" She asked, directing his gaze away from her very low v neck...
"
Hello... Who're you?" He asked, his cheeks flushed as he slowly stood up, trying to rub the dirt off of his face, and combing his hair with his hands...
"Ah. I am Allanna,"
"
Allanna? I'm Theo..." He muttered, staring at the woman...
"What are you doing all on your own?"
"
Uh, I was shopping..." He replied sheepishly,
"Where's your shopping bags?" She asked.
"
Um... I didn't have any money to buy anything..."
"Why'd you come to the store silly?" She giggled. "Where are your parents?"
"
I don't have any."
"Oh... I'm so sorry... Here, come to my house, I'll get you fixed up, maybe you could be my dinner?"
"
Yeah. Food'd sound nice..." He said. The lamia had him under her spell, and he helped her with her bags, and they left together...

He wasn't able to continue the nightmare... For he had woken. He looked around, and found Maroe staring at him. What made matters worse was, he talked in his sleep...

Maroe had just drifted off, her head slumped against the side of the chair, when the faint sound of muttering met her ears. Gramma? No, this was someone else. It was then that the image of a massive snake...fangs arched in the air...trapped...a boy. She jolted awake, kicking the beside table by accident with her bare toes. "Ow," she hissed rubbing her foot, before her eyes landed on the boy in her bed. The dreams would be stronger for weeks after the attack now, and it sounded like the boy was having some of his own. He was mumbling to someone fitfully in his sleep, probably another spike in his fever.

"I'm Theo..."

He said what she could only assume was his name in a sort of soft, hushed voice. A dreamy sort of sound, like he was crushing on someone.

"Uh, I was shopping...Um... I didn't have any money to buy anything...I don't have any....Yeah. Food sounds nice..."

Maroe didn't blame the guy for dreaming about food...and whoever else he happen to be thinking of. It sounded like he really was homeless and he'd left anything else he'd eaten back there on the alley way cement. She realized she was staring at him again, and this time he was staring back. "Oh, you're awake. It's Theo right?"

"Hm...? Y-yeah... wait..." He gripped his sword by the hilt... "How do you know my name...?" He asked suspiciously... He'd let his guard down with the Lamia, and wasn't ready to get another injury... Speaking of which, was burning like a fire on his shoulder. He sat up, but winced as he did, falling back onto the bed. He wanted the bandage off... He wanted to look at it, and he wanted the pain to go away...

"Hey, you're only going to hurt yourself more like that," Maroe said, sitting up from her chair, "Just lay back down."

It seemed he didn't have much of a choice, because he flopped back down to the bed with a wince. Maroe reached for the blanket again and put it back over his feet. "You were talking in your sleep, and introducing yourself to someone I think you liked," she said pointedly as she sat back down in the chair.

"Yeah... Wait, no!" He said defiantly, feeling intruded and self-conscious. "It's nothing. You don't know her." He lied, laying back down. "Who are you...?" He asked softly, staring at the ceiling. His vision was blurred, and his mind was hazy, but he didn't want to sit idly by while monsters could potentially be hunting him down... He laid there silently, awaiting a response while staying completely still.

"Huh." She wasn't going to point out the fact that she didn't even know him so how she could know who he was fawning over in his dreams was an utter impossibility. He was probably too sick to think that statement through. The next question made her hesitate. She didn't like introducing herself other than the meaningless passing lines at the Red Dragon as a waitress. Then again, this boy had already seen that she was a freak and hadn't run away screaming yet, so introducing herself didn't seem so bad.

"My name is Maroe Roanoak," she said simply, "I might ask you the same question though. I didn't know there were others who could see what I see."

(I know Maroe's kind. They are called neckbeards. Internet slang, look it up)
"You heard me say 'I'm Theo.' I know you can see the monsters, too. I know you're a demigod." He said solemnly. He didn't mean to seem curt, but she wasn't too warm with him. He couldn't blame her, for the monsters were relentless, and he wasn't quick to trust anyone either. He was too tired to form too many words, but managed to make a coherent sentence after a few mintues...
"Who's your godly parent?"

He wasn't too fond of introductions either it seemed. She'd heard his name, but he hadn't actually answered her question. Shifting in her chair, Maroe looked over the boy with some understanding. If he was like her, he would have been hunted like her and there was no end to it. Ever. "I don't know. My father was a human, my mother I never met. You?"

"Poseidon." He responded hoarsely. He laid there, and looked over at Maroe, and smiled at her. There wasn't any real reason she'd kill him... right?
"Sorry I chased you down... I just knew you were a demigod when Mrs. Serpent looked away from me at you..." He muttered, thinking about the fang... It was the last thing he felt, before he vomited on her shoes, and fainted. It also didn't turn to sand when she died... it must've separated before then, he supposed...

He was smiling at her, though it was a pained sort of one, and it made her relax a little. Trusting strangers wasn't an easy thing when you never knew if the next stranger would want to shake your hand or eat it. Still, he had piqued her interest. "I've never met another, though Gramma said there were more out there somewhere. You're father was Poseidon....how do you know? Have you ever met him?" The question wasn't a doubtful one or a challenge, it was purely posed as curiosity.

"I'm sure there are more out there..." Theo had mentioned, gazing over at the girl... He blushed a bit as she mentioned his father, embarrassed that she would doubt him, looking back up at the ceiling, pursing his lips...
"No... I've never met him... but I can move water... I'd think that would be proof enough." He said with a higher, more frustrated tone. Less at her and more at his father for leaving him nothing...

Maroe let a hint of a smile flicker over her lips and then nestled back into her chair some, as she looked at Theo. "Hmm. I thought I was the only one for along time...who could do things like that, I mean. I figured when you saw what I did with the monster you'd run like everyone else does."

"Maybe your father is Hephaestus, being able to attack with rock... but that doesn't make sense since your father was a mortal..." He muttered, thinking a little... He began humming. He was lying there, humming monotonously and rhythmically. He'd fallen asleep again, his snoring reminiscent of a soft humming...

The boy started drifting off and Maroe let him. He was tired and in pain, yet he started humming to himself until he fell asleep, snoring lightly. She chuckled a little and then curled up into the chair. "Pleasant dreams."

By morning, Maroe was half sprawled in the chair, blanket in a velvety pile in the floor. Sleeping that way had left her with a good crick in the neck, so when her eyes opened and she gave a long stretch, the muscles caught, making her wince. "Uhg." Why did I even sleep in that stupid thing? Oh yeah. Her eyes darted over to the boy flopped in her bed. He wasn't snoring anymore, but she could see his chest rising and falling. Well, at least he didn't die in the night. Rubbing her neck, she stood and tip-toed out of the room.

Already her grandma was in the kitchen cooking breakfast. The smell of bacon and coffee wafted through the air, and Maroe took a long breath of the scent. "Morning Gramma."

She didn't reply but continued flipping pancakes, so Maroe walked over and stole a fresh one from the plate. It was still hot and she bounced it between her fingers, trying to keep them from burning. "We'll have to make enough for...the guy..um...oh yeah. Theo. He told me his name was Theo. Sort of."

Her grandmother sighed and then smacked her hand when she went in for another pancake. "We feed him, we give him new clothes and let him rest. Then he's gone, Maroe."

"Why? I don't think he has anywhere else to go, Gramma."

"Not our concern. It's dangerous to have him here."

Maroe frowned, but stole another pancake where her grandmother turned her back. "Okaef. Buf' he migh' fake a while fo heelf."

Piling a few pancakes on a plate, and snatching up some bacon to go with it, the girl scurried back to her room. Theo looked like he was still asleep, so she left the plate by the bedside table, then snatched up some clothes headed to the bathroom to change.

Theo woke slowly, rubbing his eyes... He sat up, momentarily forgetting the events of last night. He looked around, remembering everything that'd happened... Had he slept all night...? He wasn't sure, but he did find some bacon and pancakes by the bedside... He didn't think twice, and inhaled all three pancakes, eating the bacon, never finding himself so satisfied in so long...
After 2 minutes of stuffing his face, he noticed the pain in his shoulder was just a dull throbbing pain... He was a little chilled, being without a shirt, since Gramma had cut it off, his chest exposed. Hopefully they had his size. After a moment, he stood, wanting to look at his injury... Had the ambrosia healed it already? He paced around, before finding the bathroom, and walking in, slowly unraveling his bandage.

Maroe pulled on her pants and started hastily brushing her teeth while staring at herself in the mirror. She had a nice purple bruise up the side of her arm from slamming into the brick wall the night before. Clumsy idiot. Spitting into the sink, she tossed her tooth brush into the cup and started pulling on her green v-neck. Halfway through that endeavor, she heard the bathroom door creak up and turned to see Theo walking in. "Hey! Ever heard of knocking!"

Theo blushed red, before slamming the door shut again. He was fairly certain she was a demigod, although that wouldn't stop her from killing him. His ears were hot, and he exhaled heavily, walking away before the grandmother saw anything. The last thing he needed was his caretakers both thinking he was a peeping tom

"Uhh... sorry!" He called in, before going back to the bed to bring his empty dish into the kitchen to help a little... Other than that, he was anxious to leave. Yes, he wanted to see if his wound has healed, but two demigods in one place overnight... well, no monster within a mile could miss their scent...

Back