Olympian's Blood 1x1

Maroe turned crimson and pulled on her shirt with almost violent haste before, wrenching open the door and peering down the hall. He was gone from the bathroom door at least.

Marching into her bedroom, she pulled out one of her oversized t-shirts from a few volunteer groups and then went into the kitchen. Theo was at the sink and she tossed the short at him, not quite meeting his eyes, her face still pink. "Bathroom is all yours now."

He caught the shirt, looking at the girl... She hadn't really recovered from the incident... Theo balled up the shirt, and bit his lip. He opened his mouth to say something, but decided against it...

Theo then, went back to the bathroom, empty this time, and walked in, closing the door behind him to look at his shoulder... He began to unravel it once more, slowly taking the gauze off, and his eyes widened as he saw his shoulder...

The cut had healed over, but his shoulder was black and feverish, his skin dry and rough... He ran his finger over the infected wound, feeling the warmer than usual flesh... He shook it off, for he was going to make ambrosia a part of his diet to heal his infection the Lamia left... He shuddered at the thought of her again, and put on Maroe's shirt. It was bit big on him, but he didn't mind. It covered his chest and that's all that really mattered.

Maroe let him do whatever he wanted in the bathroom. He looked embarrassed enough about it himself for her to trust he wasn't some weirdo running through her dirty laundry basket. As she snuck a cold pancake from the leftover plate, a shadow passed across the small window that was half cutoff by the ground in their subterranean apartment. The entrance was an alley way not frequented by people unless it was the occasional drunkard or homeless wanderer.

Her eyes narrowed as she slowly walked over to the window to take a glance outside. The source of the shadow was a foot. A very large, gnarly foot. "Gramma. We have company."

It took all of two seconds for Gramma to come hustling out of her room, curlers half out of her hair. "You know what to do Maroe," she said sternly.

The girl rubbed her temple and nodded. It was far too early in the morning for this sort of crap. Closing the blinds carefully, Maroe looked at each of the planters under the windows and felt for the life inside. Ivy vines were quite strong when they wanted to be. Soon they obeyed her creeping over windows thick and strong. The more she willed, the more energy it took to make them thicken until the entire front wall including the door were covered by a veil of protection. As she was strengthening the spot on the door a heavy thud landed against it so hard that the entire room shuddered. Whatever it was...was big.

Theo crunched down on his lip, fearing for his life. He grabbed his sword. Whatever it was, small objects began floating about the room, some even reaching the ceiling... Theo wrapped his fingers around the hilt of his sword, his mind racing... He began twitching, ready to strike on the slightest movement on the door, for his eyes were fixed on it. His eyes were wild, almost like a feral animal... He was really getting worked up over something he can't even see... but can you blame him?

The room began to grow hot like a little oven as the barrage against the door continued. Maroe's vines began to wither from the heat, as the door gave a mighty crack. Gramma handed a short, bronze sword to her granddaughter and then walked in front of them and faced door. The older woman had a spark in her eye and a strange metallic whip in her hand. Glancing back to the two demi-gods she nodded. "You know what to do if you need to."

Maroe swallowed hard. Nothing had been able to break into their apartment and whatever was out there was more powerful than just the typical demon she'd seen. Suddenly the door gave way in a blast of flames and in barreled a creature easily 7 feet tall with glistening white scales set aflame. He looked like a dragon...or a man. Both. His body was more man except his feet and hands. His face, a blend of a dragons maw and human's as rows of sharp jagged teeth snapped out at Gramma, tongue licking at the scorched air.

The first wicked claw swiped out at the old woman and she snapped her whip in kind, wrapping it around the creatures wrist. "Now!" Maroe plunged forward with the sword, striking out for the belly....but it glanced off the pearly scales as if they were stone.

Theo didn't want to get close to that thing. He'd already had his share of reptilian humanoids, and was getting sick of them. Theo approached closer to Maroe to provide some defensive support, since the dragon was impervious to their bronze swords. Theo felt a tugging in his gut, thinking of water...

Suddenly, a water pipe below Maroe's feet exploded, sending a powerful jet of water in the direction of the monster. It was likely to do little damage considering the beast of the earth didn't even notice a swipe from a sword, although it did punch a hole in the ceiling. The whole pipe seemed to have been affected, for the floor beneath them had risen, and in some places split apart, snaking down the hallway, the sound of wood cracking and breaking followed. Not moments later, the water heater could be heard exploding with a loud gunshot-like explosion, and the water sprayed like sprinklers along the pipes...

Theo shivered as he got soaked, and the demigod with him and her grandmother were not spared, standing in pools of water, broken pipes still spraying mist in the air... Theo didn't appriciate how detrimental his powers were to the given situation, especially since he never intended to make the pipe burst...

Water…drywall…wood..brick…it all seemed to explode around them in a mighty crash. The floor buckled in some places and swelled in others throwing everyone off balance as a massive crack split the hallway and cut the living room in half. Maroe found herself drenched in water and pitched against the back wall of the living room. A picture frame tumbled down, the corner snapping her head as her grandmother yelled in a garbled war cry.

The whole event stunned the creature long enough for Gramma to pull the whip, forcing it down further. The flames were out both in the apartment and on the creature, but it was already started to spark its mouth with deep heavy breaths. “Maroe!”

Maroe blinked through the mist and the blood trickling down her forehead. She could barely see the creature in the steam, besides the spark growing in its mouth. It would torch the whole place. Quickly, she called to the ground, the dirt below the splintered wooden floors and the concrete split by whatever had exploded. It took only seconds to feel a hard piece of slate buried below. The split ground cracked and crumbled as she forced the rock towards the creature’s face. “Ahg!” It shattered over it’s teeth but extinguished the spark. The monster screamed through a mouthful of dirt as smoke started to curl between its packed teeth.
“Not…good…”

Theo wasn't sure what to do. He'd already played his last card, albeit unintentionally, and swords wouldn't cut it, pun intended. Theo called at the spartoi, waving his sword as if to taunt the dragon. Hopefully this'd give Maroe and Gramma a chance at slaying this thing. He struck the dragon man with his sword, leaping back, and repeating the process, in order to keep his attention while staying out of range of his potentially lethal claws, battering his metal-like scales, sweat trickling down his face.

The entire house began buckling under its own weight, as if it were about to collapse. Wood was snapping, and a shelf crashed down due to uneven, sunken floors soaked and snapping. The floating objects began circling the room, some even colliding with the spartoi. The carpeted flooring beneath them was soft and squelching under their feet, moist and cold, as the pipe was still leaking...

The creature thrashed wildly, trying escape Theo' s hard blows and a massive claw swept out, hitting Gramma. The old woman flew across the room and landed hard against the back wall where she collapsed into an unmoving heap.

"Gramma!"

A violent spark of rage gathered in the pit of Maroe's stomach as she whipped around on the creature. Heavy breaths hissed through her teeth as the pressure built and built, rising up...."Get! OUT!" The floor shuddered and the chasm left by Theo's power grew wider, until it cracked. The monster jerked down ward, starting to plummet into the bottomless abyss.

As soon as the monster left, the water snaked back into the pipe, retreating back into it like it was fleeing a scene. The shelve stood back up, all of the books and items found their place on it. The pipe mended itself, returning back underground, and the floor snapped back in place, and everything flew back to its respective places, as if nothing had ever happened. Even the picture, which had injured Maroe... It was very quiet, compared to what it had been a few moments ago...

"Maroe... I don't think we're alone..." He said, looking at his surrounding as if they were alien...

Maroe slumped against the wall, feeling tired as her entire apartment began to fix itself. Everything except Gramma. Wiping the blood from her eyes, she stumbled over to her grandmother and tried to help her up until Theo noted that they weren't alone. She'd never seen anything like it. The only thing with power like this was a god, and she had never met one.

"Who's here?!" She demanded.

"What?? How am I supposed to know?" He asked, feeling almost like she was accusing him of taking someone with him...
"Maybe someone is following us, I don't know!" He rolled his shoulder, relatively unscathed, other than the fact he was soaked...

"Look, I don't know anything... and I think my scent is overpowering. I should go." He said, shifting uncomfortably. He tucked his shirt in, and took out a ziploc bag of four ambrosia squares...
"Before I do, would you like any ambrosia?"

"I was asking...whatever....." she gestured to the air and its strange presence, "This is."
As he talked about leaving...like this was all entirely normal, a spot of annoyance flared. She helped him, and he was just going to leave? Then again her Gramma had warned the boy would be trouble. She had been right. Maroe's grip tightened around her grandmothers shoulders.

"Ambrosia?" Her grandmother never referred to it as that, simply calling it 'medicine.

"It's the food of the gods. It can heal a demigod if they are harmed, but if a mortal tries to eat it, it will turn their bones to ash and their blood to fire... Are you two part god by chance...?" He asked, more so directed at the grandmother. He didn't want to inadvertently kill her. Maroe would kill him... It's not like I'm trying to make her like me through gifting... He thought. We need to be on good terms. He knelt down next to the couple, and placed the ambrosia next to Maroe.

"But... like I was saying, I can't stay here any longer... I'm just a danger to you and your grandmother... Demigods can't generally stay in one place without heavy magical barriers masking our scent.In short, I can't stay if I attract monsters twenty-four seven..." He muttered, trying to word it so he didn't sound like he was abandoning her... It was at least with good intentions...

"I don't think so. My father wasn't one that I know of. Of course, I only met him once."

As he knelt down she saw him place the same squares of medicine as the night before, next to her. "Thats why I worked a the chinese place. General Tso' s chicken covers the scent. Mostly. When they do find me they never come inside the apartment before now. They usually just chase me until I get inside, then pass us by when I ivy the windows."

"Where do you plan on go-" her words fell short when her Gramma suddenly began to sag. "Gramma?" The old woman's body began to dissipate as if it were steam, leaving her clothing and curlers behind along with the metallic whip. A look of panic came over Marie's face as she scrambled away.

"I..." His voice faltered as he watched the granny dissolve...
"Maroe, I..." He muttered, gingerly stepping forward... he racked his brain of any other possibility than her... passing... she could be held prisoner by a god, but who would want her... Unless the gods have found him... He began panicking. That's only if she wasn't dead, but why else would a monster as strong as a spartoi be sent his way besides the fact that the gods didn't want him alive...

Maroe stared at the empty spot where her grandmother had been, then to Theo and then back again. "I..I.." She stopped talking and stared at the spot for a long moment, wiping at her eyes.

Theo felt a stroke of empathy. He fished around in his bag for a blanket, and wrapped it around Maroe...He moistened his lips, trying to find what to say... He was never good in these situations...
"Maroe... I'm... so sorry..." He muttered, wrapping his arm around her... "I never expected this..." He muttered reassuringly... However, due to his infamy, a tiny part of his brain told him he did know this was going to happen...

For some reason Theo thought touching her was a good idea. Instinctively, she shied away from him. Everything felt numb and she couldn't quite understand what just happened. "How...bodies don't just vanish." Rising to her feet, she bent down and picked up the whip. It was still warm from her grandmothers grip.

Looking to Theo, her green eyes scanned over his face before she sniffled. "I've never met any of the gods and sometimes I still hate them."

Theo was left with a bad taste in his mouth, especially when she shied away from him... She did just have her probably only living relative left, other than her godly parent. He couldn't dwell on it long, for he couldn't think when she looked at him with her piercing gaze, almost unsettling... He was about to respond with more words of encouragement, but she spoke before he could get another word out... He bit his lip, nodding...

"Meeting the gods will only make it worse..." He muttered, collapsing against the wall, wiping the sweat from his brow. Theo nearly jumped out of his skin when he heard someone knock on the door. His eyes containing the streak of wildness they had when he was in battle... He looked back at Maroe expectantly, and meandered away from the line of sight of the door... He unsheathed his sword, becoming increasingly nervous...

Back