Akashic Arcana Open Book | Date Night

0rganist

Eternal Wanderer of the Plains
@jrusso20

"Why is your room always an absolute mess, Lobelia?" Uriel said as he leaned against the door to her room. His face exhausted as she had spent almost all night talking to him nonstop about the Winter Ball she was so set in planning before the Tournament.

"Look, Uriel," Lobelia said with a huge grin across her lips as she popped up from a pile of clothes sitting in the middle of her room. A long sky blue dress in her hands as she displayed it for him, "Do you think I'll look good in this with the white heels I showed you earlier?"

"Why does it matter? Guys don't even look at your feet they look at..." He gestured his eyes towards her chest, making her cheeks flush a bright red.

"URIEL" She growled and reached down for a shirt she promptly threw at him, "Not all men are absolute pigs like you appear to think!"

Her lips curled down into a small pout as she climbed out of the mess of clothes she had created in her room, the place looked like a hurricane had found its way through it and left it through the small window that sat next to her bed.

He shook his head, disapprovingly looking at her one last time before he made his way out of the room closing the door behind him. With her pout still on her lips, her eyes trailed to the clock that hung above her door, the time finally creeping close.

Shit shit shit, gotta fly!

In almost a completely swift move, she slid her slender body into the dress and her feet into the heels she had picked earlier. Her hair hanging loosely across her shoulders.

"I'll be back in a few," she said softly as she pecked Uriel on the cheek on her way out. Grabbing her purse from the stand near the door on her way out.

Her heart raced excitedly on her way down the stairs heading towards her car in the underground parking lot.

Masego stood outside of La pLACE, waiting patiently. He was in the only set of casual clothes he could afford before he went and got a suit with Artoria and Viola. He decided the suit would be a bit too much for tonight so went with the white button up shirt that was tight enough to accentuate his muscles, and black plants with black shoes. His shirt had a few buttons undone, not because he intentionally wanted to show off his pectoral muscles, but because he absolutely hated the collars on these things, they made him very uncomfortable.

He'd gotten there 5 minutes early to make sure that their reservations were ready to go, and was stunned when he saw the beautiful sky blue dress and white heels that Lobelia had arrived in. He greeted her with arms outstretched for a hug. "Hey, you look gorgeous. The dress matches your eyes." He said. Taking her hand, he indicated towards the doors of the restaurant. "Everything's ready. Shall we?"

Lobelia had basically sped her way to the restaurant, granted that A) She did not even know where the restaurant was and B.) she already had gotten a ticket for speeding, she did not need another one... Nevertheless she made it in time. She had parked a block or so away, the light grey color of her silver car served as a make shift mirror for when she stepped out and ensured she looked presentable.

Her wild hair sat on her shoulders in almost perfect waves and curls, almost like ribbons made of silk. Admittedly as soon as she caught a glimpse of the boy, her cheeks coloured themselves the same color of her pink coral lipstick. Her blue eyes twinkled in the dimly lit street as she walked into his arms for a hug.

"Pft, if you saw how embarrassingly long it took for me to look like this," she giggled at his compliment.

Her hand fitted almost perfectly in his, making her stomach turn with butterflies and her eyes to avert from his.

"Well it certainly paid off." He said as he led her into the establishment. Having taken their seats, Mago made a quick decision on what he would be eating tonight so that he could spend as much time as possible focused on Lobelia. "I have to admit I'm a bit nervous. I've never actually been on many dates before. So if I'm trying to hard at any point, please let me know." He asked of her, knowing how awkward he could be at times.

"So tell me a bit about yourself, Love. What's life like with your current family and Uriel? Do you have hobbies? I'm interested in all of it."

Her cheeks took on some color as he talked, her eyes focused on him rather than on the menu she had in her hands. If worse came to worst, she would stick to some sort of salad, at the end of the night she was more interested in what he had to say than what the food would end up being like.

"It's not like I can just up and leave if you're being weird," she laughed softly, her eyes twinkling with curiosity, "just don't try, it ends up going better that way."

She spoke from experience, being someone that would ensure she says what the other person wants to hear rather than what she means for them to know.

Lobelia was not often asked about her family life, not because people didn't want to know, but rather because she kept them very in the dark.

"My adoptive parents are fine, just doing the same old thing they've been doing since they took me in," she said softly, recalling the face of her 'father' - that tall and imposing figure that had taught her and Uriel the meaning of fear. As she trailed off about her family, in a lame attempt to pick the mood back up she smiled as she led onto her hobbies, "I like dancing," she cleared her throat softly, "Uhm.... I sew most of my clothes from scratch, since my birth mother was a woman of many talents, I feel like its almost natural for me. My adoptive mother was a also a seamstress before she married my adoptive father."

"Wow! You sew all your own clothes!? That's awesome. I wish my hands were coordinated enough to pull that off, because being able to get new clothes whenever you want sounds like a blessing from the gods." He gushed. Sewing would've been an amazing skill for his journeys across Haven, but alas, it was never meant to be.

"Dancing is pretty fun too. Any particular kind you enjoy? I've always had more affinity to a dance that doesn't require so much precision. I prefer passion in my dances basically." He admitted, his green eyes staring at her blue ones, fascinated by all of her.

"I could teach you," she laughed softly, "though I feel like I'm too unfocused to be a good teacher, if anything, I might end up confusing you more than actually teaching you."

The waiter came and went, leaving behind cups of water with ice for the both of them. Her rosy pink lips pressed against the clear glass as she took a small sip before answering his question.

"Uhm... I used to dance professionally" she said as she gestured quotes around the word, "but that was before Uriel's parents took me in. I learned a lot of ballet, and that is easily my most favorite."

He blinked, not entirely comprehending what she meant by the quotes around 'professionally. "Wait, I'm sorry, why the quotes? I mean there aren't a lot of job situations where dancing is of a lower quality, are there? Unless you were a stri-..."

He cut himself off as the gears finally clicked into place. "Ohhhhh. ohhhh. Well... I hope it was at least fun, I can imagine the patronage was less than inviting but I bet you looked amazing doing it." He blurted out, desperately trying to save the date from any residual awkwardness.

"I-I didn't want to be one, but it was the only way I would've survived there," she pursed her lips, "It was fun, though at the time I was not really of enough age to understand, I wasn't a kid but I definitely was not an adult..."

She smirked at the thought, "the women I worked with were... amazing. They taught me how to balance, how to do everything from dressing to undressing... makeup and all the like."

Her blue eyes meeting his, "It was fun, until men would walk through our doors."

It was not her intention to sour the date, but honesty was like a disease that plagued her and once she began it was hard for her to stop. In a way it felt fair, to at least warn him of what she has done... in a way, it kept her true to him at least in her eyes.

His hand immediately went out and took hers, giving it a comforting squeeze. He looked at her with eyes that understood her situation, and didn't judge her for her past work. "I'll not judge a girl for her past, I'll judge her for who that past molded her into. From what I've seen in these two meetings of ours, your experiences have molded you into an amazing person, Lobelia." He said, every word dripping with earnest sincerity.

Love's eyes dropped to her hand being covered by his, the warmth of his sending chills up her spine as he gently squeezed her hand in attempt to comfort her.

"I'm a rather odd human," she laughed softly, "I'm surprised you can stand me"

She smiled as she leaned closer, "enough about me though... What's up with you, kid? What is your deal?"

"Well first off, I think you're a sweetheart, don't put yourself down like that." He said, taking a sip from his glass of water before proceeding to answer her question.

"I actually grew up in the lower class of South Africa. My family didn't make all that much money, but they loved me a great deal. I've always loved to travel, so when I turned 16 I explored the entirety of Haven on foot, moving from country to country and experiencing the rich culture it all had. I hope to do the same with PACT and the rest of the world eventually."

She smiled at him, her rosy cheeks picking up more color as he called her a sweetheart. She was called that enough by people, but coming from him felt almost surreal, her eyes averted his but her attention was caught as he answered her question.

"What an ambitious goal," she smiled at him, "I feel like with what I've seen in the 3 countries I've been in I've had enough of the world as it is."

She laughed softly at herself, knowing that perhaps it was foolish to generalize it like that, there were parts all over the world she had at one point or another wanted to checkout, but it just felt like it just could not be.

Mago frowned at her response, not out of anger for her contrasting viewpoint, but of pity for her more cynical worldview. "Aww come on. Don't think of it like that. The world has a ton of darkness in it, I'm not naïve enough to say otherwise. But it's also filled with so much beauty. You remember the Ancient Egyptian pyramids that they teach us about in ancient history class? They're still there! I got to see them and let me tell you, pictures do not do them justice." He said, a look of wistfulness on his face.

"My point is, don't give up on the world just yet. Maybe all you need is the right person to travel it with. You know?" He said, his smile the brightest and most optimistic she'd seen from him yet.

"You're simply too good for this world, Mago" she smiled at him.

The waiter made his rounds and finally after a rather momentary wait, their food arrived. The salad she had ordered made her mouth water, maybe that and a combination of her absolute lack of food - she had been too nervous all day to even manage to eat anything. Actually, she had completely forgotten to eat.

Digging into the bed of vegetables with her fork, she smirked at him teasingly, "I'm trusting you on the food quality here boy, you best not disappoint," she winked playfully as she took a small bite. Her eyes lighting up with sheer joy as the flavors mixed in her mouth. A small yet audible "Mmm!" coming from her as she concentrated on the food just for a second.

Mago couldn't help blushing when she said that to him. "Too good for this world, huh? You're the first who's ever thought of me like that. Excluding my parents, of course." He'd ordered a sandwich with an assortment of well cooked meat and vegetables. "Trust me, the food is more than worth it." He said, taking a bite out of his sandwich and letting out a more audible "Mmm-mm!" out of satisfaction when he felt the concoction mix with his taste buds.

"For such a small little café, they pull out all the stops. It's little wonder why they get such good business on Arcadia. Good food and the ambiance is quite nice as well." He mused aloud as he briefly looked at how the shadows and lights fell perfectly upon Love's face to heighten her beauty even further. "I'm sorry, it's probably creepy to gush too much, but wow, you just look absolutely stunning. It's just blowing me away." His words weren't just for flattery's sake, she could tell that he was genuinely in awe of her beauty.

"I find it hard to believe I'm the only one that has said that to you," she giggled before shoving another fork-full of lettuce into her mouth. Perhaps it was her hunger, but it took her a second to realize that he spent a good minute or two looking at her. Not that it bothered her to have his eyes on her, but her cheeks flushed with color as she looked up at him.

His compliment resounded in her ears, making her repeat it a couple of times in her head before she reacted to it at all, "That's sweet of you," she said softly as she dropped her gaze to her food, nervously tucking a loose strand of her golden hair behind her ear before looking up at him, "Thank you, heavens know that a compliment is needed every once in a while."

"Preach it. World would be a much better place if we took the time to give more compliments, and the ones I'm giving you are more than deserved." He said, not even realizing he had just complimented her again, it was compulsory by this point.

The date continued on with them making small talk and genuinely enjoying each others company as they finished off their meals. Dessert time came around and Mago was tempted to satiate his lesser known sweet tooth, but decided to leave the decision to Love. "You want some dessert? I can handle most of this bill so I'm more than willing to treat ya." He said, that kind smile still beaming.

Love's smile grew as he complimented her yet again, it was a set up for a night full of compliments... and that was not a bad thing at all.

With her stomach finally satisfied she finished her drink and cocked her eyebrow at him as he offered dessert, "I'm surprised you remain hungry after practically devouring that sandwich swee-..." she trailed off, "Mago.." she caught herself almost calling him sweetheart, not that it was a bad thing, but nevertheless, it made her cheeks flare up with embarrassment. She hoped to all heavens he did not catch up to it, or at least that he wouldn't bring light to it.

"I don't think I can't eat anymore," she said softly, "but you can get some if you'd like..." she smiled.

He did indeed catch her almost calling him sweetheart. It caused a deep flush in his cheeks, a twinkle in his eyes, and his grin to grow even wider. "Hmm... not tonight, I'd hate to ruin the magic of the evening by eating too much." He asked for the bill and they both agreed to split it, Mago paying 3/4ths and Love paying the other quarter. Alas, Mago was not a wealthy man, so couldn't afford dates like this often. He wanted this one to be special.

He took her hand and led her out of the restaurant, his eyes shining in the moonlight as he looked down at her. "I had a fantastic time, Love. I really hope we can do this again, and soon, because you are way too much fun to be around." He confessed.

Back