Open World/Free Flow RP's

BloodInDaWater

Just wondering if there are any other writers here that enjoy a free-flowing RP without any plotting or planning in advance. Just kind of allowing things to take their natural course; those involved would bring their own unique style and flavor to the story. One writer would begin the story, detailing their own vision of the unknown world that they inhabit along with it's inhabitants, etc, etc; then the second poster would either contribute their own vision of the world around them or simply expand upon the details that the first poster had already been provided.

The characters interactions would be completely natural and unscripted. And the writers would be totally free to decide when their characters will meet each other; otherwise, they would simply explore the world around them and interact with it's inhabitants; either created by the first poster or those that they have added themselves, furthering the overall development of the story world.

Of course there are some details that should be discussed....desired length of posts.....overall theme of the story....ancient times-deep space- a mixed fantasy....science fiction type world....etc...relationship expectations....what things are acceptable or not acceptable to each writer in their personal interactions....etc...etc.

Feel free to share your thoughts either for or against this type of role play. You may also add other ideas or RP suggestions. I'm always eager to hear what others prefer or are seeking in their RP's.

Anyone interested in giving this idea a try, let me know. And then we can discuss it further.

Hm, I'm not all that certain about this one, honestly. I've tried this before, with minimal planning, and it eventually devolved into a thought war of sorts. I do agree with your ideas of having details be discussed beforehand, though it doesn't exactly sound like the sort of thing I'd like to do at any point. And not because it's bad! I'm simply a bit of a detail freak, always wanting to cover at least every detail of a story before actually delving into it. They serve as my main foundation and a source of knowledge as well, for possible twists and events that may happen as the story progresses.

Honestly speaking, the concept of character interactions being natural and unscripted is kind of redundant, if some criticism is accepted. After all, roleplaying is all about seeing how the other's character will react to the actions of your own; this, at least as I see it, counts as a natural and unscripted reaction. If characters are played well, following their personalities and traits, their reactions to all that happens in the story shall be completely natural. Unless, of course, we're talking about a liar or manipulator.

Further down the road, I'd advise caution with the whole 'let characters meet when their authors want them to' thingie. While interesting, it kinda breaks the point of roleplaying: writing a character in a scene with another character, created by another writer. This comes from personal experience, as in one roleplay the characters took far too long to even glance at one another, to a point where I was trying my best to have them meet, whatever the cost. Then again, this could be like every other cliche: if played out well, it might just come out perfect.

That's my thoughts, in overall! I didn't mean any offense or rudeness, and I apologize if any bits of my writing came off as such.

Hm, I'm not all that certain about this one, honestly. I've tried this before, with minimal planning, and it eventually devolved into a thought war of sorts. I do agree with your ideas of having details be discussed beforehand, though it doesn't exactly sound like the sort of thing I'd like to do at any point. And not because it's bad! I'm simply a bit of a detail freak, always wanting to cover at least every detail of a story before actually delving into it. They serve as my main foundation and a source of knowledge as well, for possible twists and events that may happen as the story progresses.

Honestly speaking, the concept of character interactions being natural and unscripted is kind of redundant, if some criticism is accepted. After all, roleplaying is all about seeing how the other's character will react to the actions of your own; this, at least as I see it, counts as a natural and unscripted reaction. If characters are played well, following their personalities and traits, their reactions to all that happens in the story shall be completely natural. Unless, of course, we're talking about a liar or manipulator.

Further down the road, I'd advise caution with the whole 'let characters meet when their authors want them to' thingie. While interesting, it kinda breaks the point of roleplaying: writing a character in a scene with another character, created by another writer. This comes from personal experience, as in one roleplay the characters took far too long to even glance at one another, to a point where I was trying my best to have them meet, whatever the cost. Then again, this could be like every other cliche: if played out well, it might just come out perfect.

That's my thoughts, in overall! I didn't mean any offense or rudeness, and I apologize if any bits of my writing came off as such.

No need to apologize. Your opinion is absolutely valued. As well as necessary, along with those of others, if I'm going to be able to accurately gage the varied perspectives of other role players. As to the issue of (Thought wars)....I too, have had those experiences. But generally they occurred under partnerships that exhibited poor communication, wild running egos, trust and maturity problems, also. When the same venture was attempted with mature partners the results were generally near perfect, as far as role plays are concerned. And yes, some things do need to be discussed beforehand, even with this type of RP'ing. And all the more so with newer partners. Details are fine. And needful to a certain extinct. But if overly done. It can also cause a RP to become rigid, creatively stagnant, and for me, unfulfilling.

The distinction of natural and unscripted character interactions under the free flowing RP's VS the plotted is a legitimate one. As plotted and planned, means just that: predesignated course of events set in stone. Whereas in a free flowing RP, there are no predetermined (Winners or losers/lovers or foes); it all flows from the writers natural instincts and feelings that arise purely from the actions or inaction's of the other writer as well as situational circumstances that are generated by everything that transpires during the RP. It's been my experience with (Plotting and planning) that the majority of the characters decisions are set in stone during that phase, for example: They're going meet and fall in love....or....my character will win this fight/confrontation/battle...etc....because-blah-blah-blah. To be (Fair) some are more flexible in these matters. But then there are those that really crack-the-whip! And with them there is no room for anything that goes against what they have (Decided before hand). This however...is really a (Partnership issue) within any style of RP'ing.

Again, I thank you for your views and opinions as well as sharing your experiences. And for taking the time to read what I posted. I look forward to talking with you again. I believe that I'm following you anyway. My inbox is always open.

Finally! Truthfully, when I began to RP, I never did plot anything! Of course, sometimes it didn't always work out for the best, but most of the time (for me at least) it worked out fine! The first time someone asked me about making a plot I was super duper confused. But I guess it's good that I learned about plotting before hand because I heard that more and more often as I RPed with more detailed people over the years.

I don't think any of the RP's I would join require much more planning than the time of day, weather and time period. My friends and I usually just add to it as we go. I'm not saying planning beforehand is wrong or anything, I just prefer not too. Still, if someone wishes too really really badly then I'll plan with em. I try not to be a stuck up, lol.

Used to, when I was younger. Then I grew as a writer, began to see plots less as a restriction and more as a set of goalposts & guidelines, a natural evolution on the idea of "in the moment" creation. Improv is a powerful tool, and you can train it well in a guideless, plotless, in the moment creative endeavour, but by itself it doesn't make anything coherent in the long term. "Just winging it" doesn't take you very far. Kind of like repairing mechanical devices--you can "just wing it" changing the oil in your car and you might succeed, but "just winging it" while repairing an entire motor vehicle with no clue as to how the whole thing comes together is a recipe for disaster.

I'd argue that most long term free form plots naturally evolve into a linear, objective plot line over time. The "free form" nature usually strikes me more as the initial phase of constructing a universe when a group of writers come together to make a TV show's world. Each writer brings a bunch of elements together--characters, places, so forth--and over time connect them with relationships and edits. (Eg: Character X's author discovers Location Y, decides to add Relationship Z out of inspiration.) The more relationships are built over time between materials, the more likely a plot will be stumbled upon and explored in sincerity. (Eg: A romantic arc, a violent conflict between two or more sides, a political debate in an election, so forth.)

In the TV/Film world, this usually follows a mass edit to eliminate all the major glaring plot holes, acceptance of a few flaws, and is then presented to a studio for final approval. In the RP world, the prior plot holes are usually glossed over, or new content is written to try and excuse them--because we don't normally get an edit phase.

Nowadays I've been experimenting with adding a Storyboarding layer to the process. Everybody gets to contribute via characters, ideas, scenes, and I control the overall plot structure. We work together to edit it all together, and the final product gets posted onto the forums. Combat is proving a bit tricky though.

Used to, when I was younger. Then I grew as a writer, began to see plots less as a restriction and more as a set of goalposts & guidelines, a natural evolution on the idea of "in the moment" creation. Improv is a powerful tool, and you can train it well in a guideless, plotless, in the moment creative endeavour, but by itself it doesn't make anything coherent in the long term. "Just winging it" doesn't take you very far. Kind of like repairing mechanical devices--you can "just wing it" changing the oil in your car and you might succeed, but "just winging it" while repairing an entire motor vehicle with no clue as to how the whole thing comes together is a recipe for disaster.

I'd argue that most long term free form plots naturally evolve into a linear, objective plot line over time. The "free form" nature usually strikes me more as the initial phase of constructing a universe when a group of writers come together to make a TV show's world. Each writer brings a bunch of elements together--characters, places, so forth--and over time connect them with relationships and edits. (Eg: Character X's author discovers Location Y, decides to add Relationship Z out of inspiration.) The more relationships are built over time between materials, the more likely a plot will be stumbled upon and explored in sincerity. (Eg: A romantic arc, a violent conflict between two or more sides, a political debate in an election, so forth.)

In the TV/Film world, this usually follows a mass edit to eliminate all the major glaring plot holes, acceptance of a few flaws, and is then presented to a studio for final approval. In the RP world, the prior plot holes are usually glossed over, or new content is written to try and excuse them--because we don't normally get an edit phase.

Nowadays I've been experimenting with adding a Storyboarding layer to the process. Everybody gets to contribute via characters, ideas, scenes, and I control the overall plot structure. We work together to edit it all together, and the final product gets posted onto the forums. Combat is proving a bit tricky though.
I agree with much of what you have said. And the life of a television show, like a role play, can vary. Most do not live all that long. And only the best will continue on for a good run. So I guess the enjoyment of a "Free flowing endeavor" would largely depend on the prospective of the individuals involved, and what would fulfill their personal expectations. The maturity, experience and quality of writing, along with the level of imaginative and creative aptitude of those involved, would also determine the final outcome of the project. So no matter if the story is short or long lasting, there can be much to enjoy along the way. And that's what it's all about.

At least for me.

But I wouldn't suggest it for a (Group) or a television series. Even though nothing is impossible: it would prove most difficult, especially when adding more people to the equation.

This is actually how I RP'd when I originally started. There is of course pros and cons to both. To me, there is something exciting about just having a general opening for anyone to join and see what others come up with. Seems as I have gone to a few different sites since I started, I have found other writers are less likely to join those kinds of RPs. I completely understand why, there is definitely comfort in having a plan and having an idea of what to expect from your fellow RP'rs.

Most of my experience in RP-ing is with freeform RPs. We'd start with characters, a location, a time period, and a starting premise, then go from there. Some fun plot twists came out of the ability to do what we wanted without fearing "messing up" the plot. There would be small portions of the RP where one author created a minor conflict and had an idea for how it would be resolved, but that openness meant that the plan could be completely upended. Which is some of the fun of roleplaying, imo.

That's with 1x1 roleplaying, though. I can see how that would quickly become chaotic in groups, though. A defined overarching plot makes more sense in that scenario.

I like unplanned, random rps. I crave for randomness.

One writer would begin the story, detailing their own vision of the unknown world that they inhabit along with it's inhabitants, etc, etc; then the second poster would either contribute their own vision of the world around them or simply expand upon the details that the first poster had already been provided.

This is exactly what I want! The problem with this is that it's rare to find someone who will help you world-build or do an interpretation of the "unknown" and add a different twist to the story. I've had rps where I'm forced to do the world-building on my own because my partner doesn't "know" this world (when he/she should be helping me create it.)

Free-flowing rps are quite fun to play when done with the right partner. I think adventure and slice of life rps are the easiest to do through this method. Mystery, sci-fi and fantasy might need prior planning to set some things straight.

Anyone interested in giving this idea a try, let me know. And then we can discuss it further.
I'll give this a try with you... when I become a member. :p

For me, it depends. I like having a partner I can improv some with. That’s the fun of rp for me. I know I can write alone, I’ve done it for years. Another person will take the story places I haven’t thought of, so there’s the influence of writing but the surprise of reading. My preference is to start with a skeleton premise and go from there improv. Spontaneity can be great.

When I’m writing solo, though, I plot EVERYTHING. If something changes because I have a better idea, I think long and hard about how to fit the rest of the story with it. It lets me keep my themes and symbols consistent, lets me tie up character arcs, and lets my Chekov guns pay off.

I love a good free-flowing RP! They are a bit tricky at times, and I have been a part of (and occasionally initiator of) many failed open world RPs. I've learned the key is to have a certain amount of plotting and planning, but that's mostly moving from point to point with loads of freedom in the middle. It's a lot of fun and allows both parties to have the freedom to come up with their own ideas and maybe spring surprises on each other. Improve and communication is paramount.

That said... I have never had a group open world RP work. Only 1x1's.

Just wondering if there are any other writers here that enjoy a free-flowing RP without any plotting or planning in advance. Just kind of allowing things to take their natural course; those involved would bring their own unique style and flavor to the story. One writer would begin the story, detailing their own vision of the unknown world that they inhabit along with it's inhabitants, etc, etc; then the second poster would either contribute their own vision of the world around them or simply expand upon the details that the first poster had already been provided.

The characters interactions would be completely natural and unscripted. And the writers would be totally free to decide when their characters will meet each other; otherwise, they would simply explore the world around them and interact with it's inhabitants; either created by the first poster or those that they have added themselves, furthering the overall development of the story world.

Of course there are some details that should be discussed....desired length of posts.....overall theme of the story....ancient times-deep space- a mixed fantasy....science fiction type world....etc...relationship expectations....what things are acceptable or not acceptable to each writer in their personal interactions....etc...etc.

Feel free to share your thoughts either for or against this type of role play. You may also add other ideas or RP suggestions. I'm always eager to hear what others prefer or are seeking in their RP's.

This is pretty much how I RP/write although some discussion is ok and probably needed in terms of any limitations other people may have in terms of content. But by and large, I like disovering elements of the plot, cahracters and world as the RP progresses.

You need to have people at least open his style of storytelling participating with you for this to have even a chance of working. I've run D%D campaigns with people who actually prefer as much open-world, improvisation as possible. I generally stared with some sort of skeletal outline that coulld at least give a starting point and possible key encounters/challenges that the players could face depending on the choises they made. But the more options I gave them, especially the ability to think outside the box the better. The more room I gave them to tell the story instead of forcing them into a strict path with limited options the more they enjoyed it.

On the other hand, I and these same people enjoy JRPGs which traditionally tended to be less open-world and more about completing a preset story.

Back