Chronicles of The Omniverse Archived Orlesia

Script

Adorable Homewrecker
Benefactor
as written by Script

Somewhere in north-eastern Orlesia...

Jacob was a young man with simple hopes in life. One day, he hoped that after his Da' grew too old to properly run the family farm, he'd pass the reigns down to him. He was the eldest of Edmond and Esther Beauchene's three children, and the only boy amongst them, and so it was only right that in the coming years he'd be the one taking over.

Once he had the farm, Jacob thought, he'd be able to settle down with a nice girl - maybe Janey from Rosehill Farm a few miles down the road. She was a fine girl, she was. She was all blonde curls and lovely rotund ... assets. He found himself going slightly red in the face with a dopey smile as he thought about her.

Nearby, a crow cawed, distracting him from his thoughts.

"Oi!" he yelled, "Get out of here!" he waved the weeding tool in his hands angrily at the bird as it flew away. He stepped over to the straw-stuffed figure that the crowd had been perched on, staring the scarecrow in the buttoned eye. "You aren't very good at y' job, scarecrow, are y'?" he chided.

Grumbling, the farmboy hefted the bundle of weeds he'd picked from the field and began to make his way back through the growing wheat towards the nearby farmhouse. He passed by the barnyard and the pigsty, where Ol' Roger and Percy and Gobber were happily chewing on some oats he assumed his Da' had thrown into their trough on his way back from the field a quarter hour ago.

It was at that moment that a blinding flash of light appeared in the air over the pigsty. Jacob dropped his weeding tool and bundle of weeds in shock, as two shapes dropped out of the light and fell about five feet down into the mud. By the time they'd hit the ground, he was off at a full sprint, yelling for his Da'.

____

The first thing Adrian was aware of after his disorientation from the light had faded was the cold, damp pressure of mud on his face and body. He pushed himself up, mud squelching through his fingers as he did so, and spat out the muck with an array of spluttered curses and noises of disgust.

The second thing he was aware of was the pigs. They had been squealing quite loudly, he realised, but once they realised that the two figures sprawled in their sty were not savagely attacking them, they'd wandered back to their trough to begin to chew on whatever it was they were eating.

Adrian wiped the mud fully clear of his vision and sat up straight in the mud, blinking blearily and staring around.

Talk about a change of scenery.

Where the barren desert of Hera Prime's badlands had been all that he could see for miles outside of the little town they'd found themselves in, now he was greeted by blue skies and rolling hills of green grass and golden crops. A quaint little farmhouse stood not far from the pigsty he'd been deposited in, and a small dirt road led off to the horizon (not far, as the hilly landscape made it difficult to see far from here).

He glanced to his right upon hearing a second person struggling in the mud, and breathed a sigh of relief to see Yanni there. All things else aside, they were together.

"Yanni..." he groaned, "Where the hell are we now?"

Last edited by a moderator:
as written by Sentry and Script

Well, Yanni's hair was blonde once upon a time, but as the woman lifted herself onto her elbows, Adrian would clearly see she'd become a slimy brunette. With a groan, she raised her hands to rub her temples, smearing yet more mud onto her skin. "What... what?" she croaked, lifting her chin to glance up at Adrian. "What do you mean? We're in..." It took one glance around for her to realize...

"... we're not in Hera Prime anymore."

The woman rolled forward onto her feet, dressed in ripped and worn city clothes. She held a hand out for Adrian. "Are you alright? Are you hurt?" Her other hand reached out to tilt his chin up. "No broken bones? No bruises?"

____

"I'm fine," Adrian pushed Yanni's hand away from his chin with a pouty scowl that only a teenager could pull off, though he accepted her help to stand up. "I'm not some glass doll or little kid or anythin', you know. I'm seventeen and I've kicked more bad guys in the bollocks in the last week than most people do in a lifetime."

He huffed, spitting out mud and staring down at his ruined clothes. They'd already become dusty and mucky from his time on Hera Prime, hiding without opportunity to change - and he hadn't minded, used to living in a single set of clothes for weeks when he didn't have any others to change into. But falling into a pig-sty was the straw that broke the camel's back. He really needed something clean to put on.

It was at that moment that shouts came from the direction of the farmhouse. Two men - or more accurately, a man and a teenager - emerged from the back door brandishing pitchforks. The teenager was pointing emphatically towards the pair of them, yelling in an unfamiliar language with an accent that sounded somewhere between French and Spanish. They began to advance up the path towards the pig sty.

"Fuck's sake..." Adrian muttered, groaning.

____

Yanni froze in place, eyes up at the two people who had approached them. Yanni was fluent in several languages, however this... wasn't one of them. She looked between Adrian and the pair several times. It was clear the kid didn't know it, either.

"Uh... um, hello," she stammered. "We don't mean any harm. We're lost." Though she doubted it, she very much hoped by some miracle they'd understand her. She had several other concerns on her mind, but for now, covered in mud, she put it on the back burner. "Adrian, do you recognize that language? At all?"

____

The pair didn't seem to understand Yanni at all, the elder of them still holding his pitchfork pointed towards them threateningly.

Adrian shook his head, "Not even a little bit." he said, grimacing.

The man's eyes were lingering warily on Yanni's gems, and he gave the boy beside him a sidelong glance, before speaking to him. Whatever he said, the boy reacted by nodding and running off, still calling back to the older man for a few moments as he ran, before he dashed away. He didn't go back inside, but rather ran over to the dirt road and started down it. Adrian squinted. In the distance, he thought he could see a cluster of buildings that way.

"Maybe we should go..." Adrian murmured.

____

Yanni held out a hand toward the farmer and backed away. She had also noted the buildings in the distance, but kept her eyes mainly on the man holding the weapon. She very much doubted he was a skilled fighter. She would easily be able to take him down, but at what cost?

"Wanna get us out of here?" Yanni asked Adrian, holding her arm towards Adrian. "We don't want them to follow us. Skulking around might give us some answers."

____

It took Adrian a moment to realise what Yanni was asking of him, and he gave her an incredulous glance. "... I can't do that, Yanni. I've never been able to do that." he stated, shaking his head, "And I'm covered in mud, anyway. He'd just be able to follow my footprints..."

For now, the man was making no further advances, staying at a wary distance with his improvised weapon.

____

Yanni whipped her head around to stare at Adrian slack-jawed. With a grimace, she returned her stare to the farmer. "I so thought you could invis other people too. Well, I guess we can just run."

Her hand shot out to grab the back of Adrian's shirt, and with a glow of her gems, they were catapulted over the fence, over the farmer, on the other side.

____

Adrian let out a yelp and brief shriek as Yanni practically threw him through the air. The farmer let out a yell of surprise, stumbling backwards and falling onto his rear as he tried to watch them sail over his head.

"Some warning would be good, next time!" he stammered irritably as his feet touched back down on the ground, stumbling slightly. He glanced back at the farmer who was trying to scramble to his feet, and decided to follow Yanni's plan, breaking into a run.

But .. "Where the hell are we running to?!" he yelled to her as they ran past the farmhouse.

____

Yanni looked around frantically. She devised plans on the spot all the time! This couldn't be that hard.

"There's the town..." she mused, "Though I think after that display we've ruled that out. Um... we need cover." Her eyes scanned the hills, at the groupings of greenery around them. She smirked. "Trees! Get to the trees! Then we can figure out what to do after!"

____

"Because trees solve everything..." Adrian muttered, shaking his head. But he did as Yanni directed, running towards the trees. It was only a small copse, no more than a couple hundred metres wide, but it would provide cover for the time being.

He glanced over his shoulder, relieved to see the farmer wasn't chasing them. But he was watching them run. He'd see them disappear into the trees.

The dash to the treeline didn't take long, and there was nothing eventful between them and the cover of the copse. Adrian could hear the trickle of a stream that had been hidden by the hill's shape as they entered. "At least we can get hopefully the worst of the mud off." he remarked, starting to trudge through the trees towards the sound.

The stream was rocky and shallow, only coming up to Adrian's shins, but the clear water that ran through it was suitable for washing with. He pulled off his hooded top and shoved it under the water. His shirt was grimy, but not coated in mud, so that was something. He'd have to survive with dirty jeans, because he didn't want to walk around waterlogged.

"So... flash of light, and suddenly we're ... god only knows where, where the people speak another language. Great. Ideas?"

____

Yanni didn't seem to have the same concerns as Adrian, and simply flopped into the stream on her back. She scrubbed her hair and sat in the water up to her belly button. She wasn't wearing much- a tank top and stretchy shorts, at most- and they would dry quickly enough.

Despite everything that had happened, the woman looked to the sky with a grin. She took in a breath and closed her eyes, letting a chuckle escape.

"This is how I got to Volare. Did I ever tell you?" she asked Adrian. "I was on my own world, in Sozo. All of a sudden, I'm in an alien place with grumbling metal beasts and funnily dressed people. I thought I died and the spirits were punishing me." She wiped her neck, letting the water drizzle mud off of her skin. "I didn't think it would ever happen again. It's been years since I was taken away from home. I learned a new language. I learned a new culture. I learned that there was so much more than just one little planet in a solar system." She got up, then sat on the bank next to Adrian.

"I don't how if we'll ever be able to get back."

____

Adrian sat down on a rock, seemingly taking all that in for a few moments before finally, he shrugged.

"Meh, not like I had much back there anyway. You're here, so ..." he trailed off, frowning as he realised how corny the end of the sentence he'd been about to say was. "Well, anyways. If we get back, great. If not, whatever. But what do we do like ... now-now? Immediate future. I dunno about you, but I don't wanna become a hermit in a tiny clump of trees."

____

The woman clapped a hand over her mouth in a laugh. "Right! I'm sorry, it's just... it just dawned on me I might have to do it all over again, y'know?" She got to her feet and rung out her shirt. Droplets splattered on the dirt.

"First off, if we're thinking of going to any town or city, I need to go about buying something less revealing." Running her hands down her arms, she tapped the blue gems embedded in her skin. "These are a bit unsettling and exotic, yeah? Not a good first impression. The nearest town isn't likely to take us in, but there was a road. Maybe if we follow that, we'll get somewhere where we can draw less attention. Or... we can try going to the nearest town and hope they won't try to lynch us."

____

"It's probably an idea if I steal us both some clothes before either of us walk into a town." Adrian pointed out, "You have your gems, and I'm wearing clothes from Westeria. By the look of the guys on that farm, we've time travelled back into the fuckin' dark ages, so my trainers are gonna stand out as much as shiny rocks embedded in my flesh."

He hesitated, "Well, maybe not quite as much. But you get the idea."

The teenager got to his feet, "Wait here. I'm gonna go back to that farm and nab something. That kid looked about my size, and I'm assuming he has a mum."

He grinned, "Stealing clothes from laundry lines. It's just like old times." he remarked, before setting off for the edge of the trees and vanishing.

____

"Good idea. Uh... be safe!" she called, right as he vanished. Yanni rolled her neck back and sighed. "Mom-clothes..." she grumbled. The whine didn't last long. Again, she chuckled.

"The dark ages, hm? Maybe I'm right when I'm supposed to be this time."

____

It was about fifteen minutes before Adrian returned, appearing at the edge of the trees and making his way over to where Yanni was. His face was slightly red, as he dumped a bundle of clothes on the floor.

Amongst the bundle was a cloth tunic with an overshirt, cloth trousers and two pairs of boots. Alongside them was an off-white chemise and a maroon dress with a cloth band to tie around the waist as a belt.

"Think those are a daughter's clothes or somethin'" he mumbled, before vanishing again. After a moment, his old clothes appeared, tossed to the floor, and the peasant boy's clothes were picked up and disappeared, as he began to change.

____

Yanni picked up the dress and chemise, then disappeared over the treeline. She stripped off her shirt and flung it to the ground. Long sleeves, skirts that touched the floor; unless someone grabbed her, the gems wouldn't be a giveaway.

Walking back out, she twirled around. "I haven't worn a dress in years. I'm not sure how I feel about its breeziness!" She patted the dress down with a chuckle. "Are you done yet? I'm excited to see how you look as a farmers boy."

____

After a moment, Adrian reappeared. The clothes were baggy on his skinny frame - the farmboy had the build to match his work habits, and it was obvious the outfit had been made to fit him. The sleeves were too long and the neckline hung low, but the cloth belt kept the trousers in place. Adrian was finishing rolling the sleeves up, and looked down at himself. He groaned.

"I look ridiculous." he muttered. "At least your dress fits!"

____

"Maybe you'll grow into them. Hopefully we'll have better clothes by then." She stuck her tongue out at him, then reached out to tousle his hair.

Passing him by, she got to the edge of the trees and crossed her arms. Her shoulder pressed up against a skinny tree. "Are you ready for an adventure, Adrian? Another one, I mean. Hera Prime wasn't ideal, after all."

____

"I'm just slowly coming to a number of realisations about the lack of running water, central heating and modern medicine." Adrian remarked dryly, "Try not to get the flu."

He grinned, though. "Whatever, it can't be all bad. Let's start wandering."

They returned to the road (some distance from the farm, obviously, so they weren't spotted wearing the family's clothes) and started walking. They passed by another farm not long after, where a woman was stood out front hanging clothes up on a line. She gave them a startled glance when she noticed them, walking to the wall of her front garden and calling something out to them.

Adrian couldn't tell what she was saying - it sounded like she was speaking the same language as the farmers from before - but her tone was one of concern. "Uh..." he glanced at Yanni questioningly, not sure how to proceed.

____

Yanni exchanged glances with Adrian and, with a shrug, walked up to the woman who was chattering with them. She tapped her lips and shook her head, put a hand up to her ear, and shook her head again. "Do not speak... that," she told her. She spread out her arms in another shrug. "Foreign."

____

The woman frowned in confusion, but after a moment, she seemed to realise what Yanni was communicating. She made a vaguely recognisable 'oh' sound, before her frown deepened. She appeared to think for a few moments before pointing down the road, then holding out one hand, miming holding something in it then pulling back with her other hand, and letting go.

She glanced at the pair of them for signs of recognition, before frowning again. She turned towards the house and yelled something - it sounded like a name, 'Anton', if Adrian wasn't mistaken. After a moment, a boy poked his head out the door. He couldn't have been older than twelve. The woman repeated his name, gesturing for him to walk over and speaking to him quickly in their language.

Then she turned back to them, and pointed up the road again. She said something to the boy, and he mimed walking on the spot. The woman then crouched as though hiding, and then mimed jumping out and hitting the child with something. The boy fell over dramatically, and the woman rifled through his pockets, standing as though having retrieved something, and then mimed running off.

She then looked back to Yanni, grinning expectantly.

Adrian laughed. The woman looked quite young, he realised, though her outfit was matronly. She had blonde hair tied in a long braid, and freckles on her fair skin. The boy was blonde too, and similarly freckled. Maybe she was his sister? The age difference was pretty big if that was the case, she had to be older than he was himself. Maybe a young mother, then?

He had no idea what she was trying to communicate though. "Can you figure out what she's trying to tell us?" he asked Yanni.

Yanni's eyes widened. "Ah," she nodded. "If we go down there, we'll die. Lovely." She ran her fingers through her hair and huffed in frustration. "There's bandits."

She folded her arms and paced. She paced and paced and paced. Then, she threw her arms up. "We can take some dirty bandits! I've been shot with bullets. How can I not dodge some arrows, yeah? Yeah?"

01-18-2015, 09:23 PM
Script
It was at that moment, that the sound of hoofbeats became audible on the road behind them. It sounded like several horses, moving at a fast pace. The blonde woman looked up with a start, turning to the boy and quickly saying something to him. In response, the boy got up and ran inside.

She looked at Adrian and Yanni, then down the road. Adrian followed her gaze. They were near the top of a hill, so they could see the riders approaching. There was three of them, galloping up the hill towards the farmhouse. The riders were all armoured and as far as Adrian could tell, armed.

"Uh..." he started, before the woman turned to them and started speaking quickly. She then stopped, realising that they couldn't understand and grimacing. Thinking for a moment, she emphatically pressed a finger to her lips and went "Shhh!"

"I think she wants us to let her do the talking." Adrian murmured.

____

Yanni's muscle tensed beneath her dress. She clutched to her skirt with white knuckles. "Well, we don't have any other choice, do we? Stick close to me, Adrian. Okay?"

Bandits. Why were they allowed down this road? Shouldn't there have been some sort of... security? The place seemed like an older sort, nothing like Terra or Hera Prime, but all the same, there had to be people who could actually fight, right?

____

As the riders drew closer, Adrian was able to make out more of their details. Two of them wore identical armour, black in colour and decorated with a symbol that resembled a winged figure with their arms spread, and a halo in the form of the sun. Their faces weren't visible beneath their helmets, and both wore shields on their backs and swords at their waists. The centre rider was a woman with cropped brown hair, wearing lighter armour with no helm. The same symbol was upon the single pauldron she wore on her left shoulder, and on a tabard that fell over her chain shirt. She had a long thin blade on her left hip, and what looked like a flintlock pistol to her right.

The horses drew to a halt as they approached, and the woman was the one who spoke, eyeing him and Yanni suspiciously. Her voice was imperious and commanding. Quickly, the girl on the other side of the fence spoke up in response. The mounted woman looked at her with a scowl, before raising her eyebrows.

She looked back at Yanni and Adrian thoughtfully, speaking again, though by the way she glanced at her it was clear she was still speaking to the girl. Adrian lamented not being able to understand a word they were saying.

Thankfully, it seemed as though the initially hostile woman was beginning to calm down. She waved a hand at them, inclining her head in a courteous nod. She then pointed to herself, and said 'Josephine'. She then turned to point down the road, then to herself again, then moved her hand in a beckoning arc, before pointing to them.

"I think she's saying that they're travelling that way, if we want to go with them?" Adrian suggested doubtfully.

He glanced back at the girl from the farm. She had a nervous expression on her face, but at his glance, she nodded reassuringly.

____

Four-word collabed with Script

Yanni caught the exchange between Adrian and the girl, though the way she glared up at the woman before her wasn't indicating that she wanted to go along. No, not at all. "You see that pistol, Adrian?" she asked the boy.

"Yeah..." Adrian replied, frowning.

"Keep an eye on it." She nodded up to the woman before them with a backtilt of her head and threw a glance back at the girl with a tight smile. "I don't think we have much choice but to go, but be wary."

She pointed to herself, saying "Yanni."

____

Adrian gave the woman a cautious glance before speaking up. "Adrian." he said.

The woman nodded her head, though their reluctance had appeared to bring her suspicion back, and she watched them for a few moments with narrowed eyes before she turned and started to walk her mount onwards down the road. She called something back to the other two men, and they remained still, seemingly waiting for Adrian and Yanni to start moving before they did.

Adrian sighed, glancing to Yanni, and when she started moving he went along with her. He glanced back at the farmhouse, just in time to see the girl hastily pulling the door closed behind her.

The riders behind them were silent, and the woman too said nothing more as they moved on. Soon the farmhouse was left behind them, and there was nothing but hills for as far as they could see. Despite the open ground, there were plenty of bushes and small clusters of trees that could have concealed ambushes, and Adrian was painfully aware of them all given the farm girl's warning.

But the first trouble didn't come from the bushes. Once they had been travelling for ten minutes or so, the woman drew her horse to a halt, and gestured for them to stop. She dismounted, walking toward them and holding out an open palm. Her eyes were narrowed in focus on... something, and a very faint shimmer seemed to form around her hand.

"Uh..." Adrian hesitated, glancing to Yanni. "What do you think she's doing?"

____

A breeze fluttered around the gem witch, stirring her skirts and sleeves. Her eyes became slits. "Adrian, get ready to disappear," Yanni ordered. She never once took her eyes off of the other woman. Both the revolver and the glowing of her hands were at her immediate attention.

____

Josephine's expression shifted to a scowl. She stepped forwards, pointing at Yanni's sleeves and snapping something. She muttered angrily under her breath, before gesturing at her own sleeves and miming rolling them up.

When Yanni didn't comply, she took a step back and her hand went for her sword. She yelled something, and behind them the two other men jumped down from their mounts, and the sound of swords being drawn was clear in the air.

Adrian didn't need telling twice. He vanished.

____

Yanni sank down into a low stance, legs spread and knees bent. She didn't give herself time to position her hands- she just went ahead and punched.

Though Yanni's fist was nowhere near the man on the left, he would find himself knocked back by a powerful, invisible force. The witch quickly turned around to do the same to the one on the right, and he, too, got thrown back. Like a whip, she retreated, and put her focus on Josephine with a snarl.

____

Josephine didn't flinch as both her men were tossed backwards, heavy plate armour and all, like ragdolls. She strode forwards with her hand extended once more, and when she spoke her voice boomed unnaturally. The glow on her hand intensified and then exploded outwards in a pulse that swept over the entire path. At first, it seemed like it had done nothing. But Yanni would notice almost immediately that the power in her gems was suddenly gone - blocked by an unseen barrier preventing her accessing it.

She drew her rapier, then, lunging forwards in a swift movement to thrust its wicked point at the gem witch.

Adrian, meanwhile, had run over to one of the fallen men. He was groaning, and the weight of his armour had made Yanni's launching of him even more painful, but obviously alive. Adrian grabbed the man's sword from the ground where he'd dropped it, and it too vanished. The teenager was taken off-guard by how heavy the weapon was, and he half-stumbled as he lifted it. How did people make these things look so bloody weightless?!

Awkwardly hefting the weapon, he invisibly made his way back towards the fight.

Yanni flicked her hands toward Josephine to try and snap her backwards on her feet, but... but it didn't work. Frowning, the gem witch lightened her stance and watched as the woman drew her sword. Her eyes followed her wrist, and just before the swift attack was executed, Yanni spidered to the side, turning her body sideways to avoid the attack by a hair.

Though much of her fighting power depended on the gems, they were just an extension. Her skill was all natural.

Her hand whipped out as she dodged to reach for Josephine's wrist and pulled her forward, smashing her knee into her ribs.

Though the blow slightly winded her, the woman's chainmail likely made for an unpleasant impact for Yanni. She wrenched herself bodily backwards, trying to regain the reach advantage so she could employ her blade properly.

The witch mirrored Josephine in her backwards scramble, though Yanni's own eyes were widened in a fair bit of pain. She leaned heavily on her knee for a brief moment before standing up again, one fist facing Jo, the other down near to her hip.

Scowling, Josephine reached with her free hand for her pistol, drawing it swiftly and cocking the hammer. Before she could pull the trigger though, she doubled over with a cry of pain. Adrian had swung his sword clumsily for her midriff, and though he lacked the strength to break her armour, the blow had hurt. In response, the woman pointed her pistol at .. well, nothing, as far as she and Yanni were concerned, and fired.

She was rewarded with a cry of pain from thin air, and a spray of red onto the road.

There was a scream- "ADRIAN!" and the patter of feet as the gem witch sprinted for Josephine and twisted her body in a mean roundhouse kick for the woman's head.

The kick landed and threw her to the floor, her pistol flying from her grip to land at the roadside. She spat angrily, scrambling to her feet without pause despite the blood on her face, and raising her rapier once again.

A yell came then from the men who Yanni had struck before. Both were back on their feet, and though one was missing his sword, both were advancing on the gem witch.

Adrian reappeared - not voluntarily, mind - as he dropped the blade himself, his hand going to clutch at his arm where the bullet had hit. He cursed violently under his breath.

"Shit... shit!" spat Yanni, realizing at her dour position. She couldn't fight this, so, Yanni did what she did best.

Diving just past Josephine, she reached for the pistol, rolled to her feet, and pointed it at its owner. "Don't move; I'll shoot!"

Josephine raised an eyebrow, before laughing mockingly. She said something in her own language, before stepping forwards with an apparent lack of concern, readying her weapon to strike.

Yanni pulled the trigger.

Nothing.

She pulled it several more times. Clickclickclickclick.

"No, no, no! You only had one shot? What kind of dumbass-" She spidered backwards and dropped the gun, glaring daggers at Josephine.

The woman rolled her eyes, keeping her blade pointed at Yanni, but no longer advancing. She reached behind her for her belt, pulling from it a pair of manacles that she gestured pointedly with, before waiting expectantly. She called a command back to her men, one of whom stepped over to where Adrian ...

... had been, a few moments ago. She scowled, but turned her attention back to Yanni, gesturing again with the cuffs.

Yanni's eyes traced the ground, looking for any spots of blood. Either Adrian was stopping the blood flow with miraculous talent, or he wasn't far.

Eyes raising up to the shackles, Yanni grit her teeth, then held her hands out.

Gods. Dammit.

as written by Script and Sentry

Josephine nodded, satisfied, and stepped forwards to place the shackles on Yanni's hands. They pulsed with light as they closed, beginning to emit the same power that had been keeping her gems suppressed. The woman then turned and scanned the area with a scowl, yelling something in her own language. She lifted her weapon and pointed it at Yanni threateningly.

"Adrian!" she called, recalling his name from when Yanni had used it, as well as back at the farm.

After a moment, Adrian reappeared with a scowl on his face. He was just at the side of the road, still holding his arm. The woman nodded, sheathing her weapon and walking over to him as she said something to her men. One of them walked over to Yanni and took a hold of her arm, pulling her towards one of the horses. If she complied, he would help her mount before taking up a position in front of her.

Josephine paused as she noted Adrian's injury, then made her way over to her horse and began to rummage in one of her saddle bags. After a moment she pulled out a roll of bandages and some other medical supplies, gesturing for him to come over.

Though he hesitated, the pain in his arm won out over his desire to do nothing that the bitch wanted him to, and he complied. Within a few minutes, his injury was dressed and bandaged and the bullet had been extracted. She gave her other subordinate instructions and he led Adrian over to his horse to help him on in the same manner as Yanni.

____

"I'm sorry," Yanni called to Adrian. "This could have gone differently."

"Not your fault." Adrian replied through gritted teeth, "You aren't the bitch that shot me. Talk about a fucking lucky shot. Suppose I should be glad she didn't hit anything important."

"That's the spirit," the witch said darkly. "I'll get us out of here. If it was just me and the bitch I'd have won, believe you me."

Josephine snapped a command at the pair of them, and despite the language barrier, it was likely clear that she wanted them to stop talking. A few more words, and the man carrying Yanni rode forwards to take the lead, separating them.

Adrian scowled furiously at the back of the woman's head as she mounted her horse and they started along the road again.

Yanni grunted like a wild animal caught in a cage, but she held onto the back of the guard's armor to steady herself. She could skip rooftops, but she hated horses.

____

They rode on in silence, then. Despite the lack of speech, there was a tangible tension in the air. Adrian could feel the guard he sat behind was like a coiled spring, ready to react to ... something, at a moment's notice. After a few minutes, Josephine called them to a halt, stopping to scan the tops of the hills that rose up on both sides of the road for a few moments before they carried on. She did it again not a minute later, muttering something that sounded like a curse as they started moving again for the second time.

He felt like he was waiting for something to happen. For a storm to break, as inevitable as though there were black clouds circling overhead.

When the arrow came, he almost wasn't surprised.

It hit the guard sat in front of Yanni in the neck, finding the gap between his helmet and pauldrons. With a strangled cry, he fell from the horse. Even as Josephine drew her sword, yelling something to the guard behind her, Adrian felt the impact of the second arrow in his chest plate as he was shoved backwards into him. Half a second later a second one hit the man in the face, toppling him from the horse - and Adrian with him.

On the floor now, he heard Josephine yelling something, and as he was bringing his head up to look he saw her leaping from her horse, light blazing from her palm. A ray of light shot out into the brush where she pointed it.

Yanni had slipped from the horse down to the corpse below, and pulled it up to shield herself from any more arrows that wanted to slaughter them. She looked for Adrian first, and once she spotted him, she trudged over with the body over her shoulder, looking back at Josephine briefly.

Another arrow shot from the opposite side of the road. Reacting with almost inhuman speed, Josephine whirled, slashing it out of the air with her blade. Then another came, and she deflected it with a burst of light. She held her hand in the air, glowing power surrounding her in a protective aura that caught several arrows.

She shouted in her language angrily, her gaze sweeping from bush to bush.

Adrian glanced at Yanni as she made her way over, grimacing. "What now? Do we ... do anything? Should we try and run for it?"

"You wanna get shot?" Yanni asked seriously. "Again?"

"You think sitting here and hoping for the best is a better deal?" he retorted. "Wait, look."

Adrian pointed, as at the top of the rises to either side of the road, figures began to emerge from the bushes. It looked like half a dozen of them in all, men and women carrying bows. All wore red armbands or headbands under their cloaks. Adrian noticed that a number of them had pointed ears, like elves.

Josephine looked around, taking in their numbers, and she seemed to deflate. The aura around her faded, and she slowly lowered her sword, dropping it to the ground before raising her hands, palms spread, in surrender.

It was then that a final figure stepped out of hiding. He wore a long cloak entirely of crimson, his face masked with a red bandana and cast in shadows from his hood. In one hand he held an exquisite-looking bow. The other arm was encased entirely in a black gauntlet formed of jagged metal.

He spoke - his voice surprisingly youthful for his menacing visage - pulling an arrow from his quiver. His tone was cold and hateful, and it sent a shiver down Adrian's spine. "This is bad." he muttered.

"Is it? I mean-" She reached around the corpse at her back and, with a grunt and a tug, freed the arrow from his neck. She showed it to Adrian. "They're really good shots, and they avoided us for a reason." She watched Josephine surrender, then pushed the corpse off of her.

Yanni stood up and assumed the same position as Josephine, looking up at the army before them.

Josephine spoke again, her voice now lacking the authority from before. She was speaking slowly, calmly - to Adrian, it was obvious that she was trying desperately to make herself calm by doing so.

The man with the gauntlet replied, now at a yell. She tried to speak again but he interrupted her with the same shouted command.

Slowly, Josephine lowered herself down onto her knees. It seemed as though the archers were ignoring Yanni entirely - though some of their eyes did flick to her, their leader's remained fixed on the kneeling woman.

He nocked the arrow to his bow.

Josephine abandoned the pretence of calm. She began to speak hastily, stumbling over her words, her voice pleading.

He pulled it back.

She was begging, now. Adrian didn't need to understand her to be able to tell that.

The arrow flew. It struck her between the eyes, snapping her neck back, and she fell to the ground dead.

____

Yanni's breath caught in her throat. She dropped her hands and stared up at what she guessed were the bandits the blonde girl was speaking of. Bows, arrows, the whole deal. She did note, however, their considerable lack of care for her person... and Adrian's.

"I think... we can walk away... and they won't give a damn."

____

As if to prove her wrong, the man then turned his gaze onto Yanni. He called out something in the same language as Josephine had been speaking. Adrian got to his feet and walked up next to her, gritting his teeth. "We don't speak... your language." he called, sounding a lot more confident than he felt after watching Josephine's execution. The woman might have attacked them, but she'd not killed them, and she'd bandaged his wounds. And she'd surrendered. Surely that had to have meant something?

The man made a grunted noise of acknowledgement, before turning away from them. He spoke a few commands to one of the other archers, a young looking blonde woman with pointed ears. She nodded, putting her bow on her back before starting to call out her own instructions to the others as the man disappeared back into the bushes. The bandits moved into action, descending to the road and beginning to collect Josephine's and the men's equipment, including their horses.

The blonde woman herself approached Yanni, placing a hand on her chest. "Anaiya." she said, smiling before turning to the man that was going through Josephine's belongings and calling a question. A few moments later, the man pulled a key out of her belt pouch and tossed it over to the elf, who moved to unlock Yanni's shackles.

She seemed to think for a moment, before pointing at her. "You..." she said, before pointing to herself... "F... follow?"

"Holy crap, someone that speaks two words of our language." Adrian remarked. "I guess we don't have much of a choice."

____

"... we've gotta be on Volare," breathed Yanni with a laugh. "Right? I mean, there's elves on Volare. Have you ever seen elves on Hera Prime? Because I haven't! We might actually be home!"

She turned to the blonde elven woman and nodded. "Yes. We'll follow."

Yanni was almost too eager. She had lost hope to ever see Kazen again, to see the scarce friends she'd made in Westeria again. This, however, gave her hope.

____

Once the bandits had looted the bodies of Josephine and her men, they left them in the road where they had fallen. Anaiya led Yanni and Adrian up from the road and into the bushes. They pushed their way through the undergrowth for a time before emerging out into the open.

From there they walked for several miles. The men and women of the group talked and joked amongst themselves... or at least Adrian assumed they were joking by the laughter. A few times, Anaiya attempted to communicate with them further, but it quickly became apparent she didn't know much of their language beyond a few basic phrases and words.

The man with the full cloak of crimson didn't speak at all as they travelled. He was continually watching their surroundings, as though an enemy might jump out of any clump of grass or out from behind any rock. They were a long way from the road, and by the looks of things any sort of civilisation, by now. Maybe he was right to be wary. Adrian didn't know how dangerous this place was.

He didn't know jack shit, because nobody here could talk to them and he had no clue where they were. If this was Valore, why was everyone still so ... primitive, for lack of a kinder word? He hadn't been aware of any living medieval kingdoms. Even insular Losenji had electricity, cars and radio.

Their destination caught him by surprise. He'd clued in on the fact that they were getting close, as they began to pass by what he'd guessed were scouts or perimeter guards that hailed them as they walked past their hiding spots. But it still startled him when one moment there was nothing ahead, and then suddenly a sprawling campsite was laid out before them. It was perfectly nestled between two steep rises so that you had to practically be upon it before you saw it.

It was ringed by walls of sharpened wooden logs, clearly a hasty construction but one that was very much defensible. One with an eye for such things might have noted that its poor tactical positioning - with high ground on all sides - indicated that it was not intended for defensive purposes except as a last resort, and the fairly rudimentary nature of the structures meant they would be easy to tear down and move off with, or abandon. It was a camp that was easy to flee from.

The group led them into the camp's main body through a wooden gate, and some of them dispersed to the tents. The camp was filled with more men and women, many of them adorned with the same red regalia as their travelling companions. There seemed to be as many elves as their were humans, as well as some more exotic races that Adrian didn't recognise. There was a woman with pale blue skin and insectoid wings sprouting from her back, and a pair of large catfolk with bulky builds and fearsome lion-like faces. He was even fairly certain he caught a glimpse of a centaur. The man at their head turned to say a few words to Anaiya, who saluted, before he too made his way off. A number of the inhabitants of the camp hurried up to him as he walked, clamouring to speak - some were holding papers that were apparently either very important, or impromptu flags, by the way they were waving them.

Anaiya turned to the pair of them, then. "Close. Stay." she instructed warningly, before turning and moving further into the camp.

"This is ... a lot bigger than I imagined a bandit camp would be." Adrian murmured to Yanni as they walked.

____

"It's more like a war camp," Yanni said as she marveled. "This scene is very familiar."

Blue-skinned fairies and bipedal creatures. Horsemen. The whole variety in this environment flashed memories behind glazed eyes. Though she had never seen any of these races specifically in Sozo, they carried that same air. She stared ahead at the man who everyone flocked around. "I don't think I need to point out who's the leader of this whole camp and not just the group who found us. He looks like he's seen quite a lot of shit. I wonder what they're fighting for."

____

"Hopefully not the slaughter of innocent women and children." Adrian remarked dryly. "Or at least impartial women and children. It's prob'ly a stretch to say either of us are innocents."

Anaiya led them through the camp, passing by makeshift smithies, tanners and training yards. She seemed not to have a specific destination in mind, but rather kept scanning the groups of people they passed by. Eventually, she let out an 'ahah' of success, as they were approaching a large tent equipped with a number of cages containing what appeared to be messenger birds.

A beautiful woman with bright red hair was emerging from the tent. She seemed almost excessively well armed, clad in leather armour and wearing a belt of small daggers. A longsword hung sheathed at her side, and a quiver containing a shortbow and arrows was strapped upon her back alongside a pair of longer knives.

"Aliana!" Anaiya called, drawing the woman's attention. She raised an eyebrow to see the blonde elf approaching with Yanni and Adrian in tow. She answered the greeting with a question, glancing at the pair of them as she did so.

The two exchanged conversation briefly, before Anaiya could be heard saying the word 'Terran'.

Aliana raised her eyebrows again, before turning to face them fully. "Does Anaiya speak the truth? You two speak Terran?" she asked. Though she was thickly accented like Josephine and the farm girl (interestingly, Anaiya and the man who had led the bandits had a different accent, despite speaking the same language), she spoke fluently. "Who are you, and what were you doing in the custody of an Inquisitor?"

____

Yanni blinked. To hear Terran spoken so fluently by someone other than herself and Adrian was a breath of fresh air and at the same time, jarring. She nodded in shock. "Yes! We're from Terra. We came here... out of nowhere. We're really not sure how. We were trying to get around and got-" She gestured to the direction of the road, "-swept up in all of this commotion. I don't know why she singled us out."

____

"Did you use magic while she was present?" Aliana inquired, "The people of this land treat magic with great suspicion, and seek to contain all its practitioners."

She sighed, turning her gaze on Anaiya and saying something in their language. Anaiya saluted, then strode off into the camp. Once she was gone, Aliana turned and gestured for the pair to follow her as she stepped back inside the tent behind her. "This land is called Orlesia, and it is ... was my home, once. I ended up on Terra in a similar fashion to how you ended up here, and lived there for a time. Upon my return here I discovered a thousand years had passed, and much was different."

Inside the tent was a large wooden table with an equally sizeable map laid upon it - presumably a map of the land they were in. Numerous tokens were scattered around it. Piles of papers sat stacked around the perimeter of the tent on smaller tables. There were two other people in the tent, a woman and a man, going through those papers and writing their own. Neither looked up from their work.

The redhead woman shook her head. "But you are not here to learn history. I expect you want to go home, no?"

Adrian glanced at Yanni, shrugging his shoulders.

"I would send men with you to get you to the border, but I fear I cannot spare them. We stand on the brink of war here and I need all my scouts reporting the movements of our enemies. You are lucky we had planned a strike on Inquisitor Josephine today."

She gestured to a point on the map near the centre-north where a red circle was positioned. "We are here." she said, before drawing her hand across the map to gesture at the north-eastern border. "That is the border of Amarathia. It is there you can find a route home, if that is what you wish. The journey is dangerous, however. The Inquisition aside, void beasts, remnants of the blight still prowl the outskirts of civilisation between lands. I must be honest, with just the two of you, I would not rate your chances of survival highly."

____

"Magic? Nooo..." Yanni mumbled, a hand reaching over to scratch her arm nervously.

She followed Aliana into the tent, glancing around it and holding her need to touch everything back. She peered closely at the map instead, heaving a sigh. "So... not Valore. But there is a way." She glanced at Adrian, mouth thinning into a line.

He would move on. Kroger, that is. Yanni wanted to believe he would.

"Looks like... we're stuck here for a while, huh, Adrian?"

as written by Arcane and Tiko

The stars were very bright tonight. Brighter than usual. But not many paid attention to things that lingered to far out of reach above them. "Maybe because they are in the city...?" Iban thought to himself for a moment. He sat there, alone on a sturdy branch of a tree on the outskirts of a nearby village somewhere in southern Orlesia. His pitch black armor blending in with the night yet stood out because of the royal gold trim that ran along certain edges of his battle wear. A red headband with strange insignias rested within his crew cut short black hair. Something darted above him, stealing his attention. Another white streak across the night sky in what soon turned into a beautiful meteor shower. Iban watched with stilled awe. He recalled his mothers soft voice "These event hold a lot of significance, Iban. Don't worry, little one. One day you'll fully understand." That was so many moons ago... "And I'm still waiting, mother." He said with such a sad tone and a sigh that followed suit.

____

The peace and quiet of Iban's stargazing drew to a close as another shared the evening with him. The lad of about sixteen staggered his way down the dirt road that led towards the village, and it was only by the light of the moonlight that he managed to keep on the road at all. He stumbled with his steps, and nearly walked right off the road a few times.

At a distance one might have mistook the boy for a drunkard, if not for the fact that he was coming towards town rather than leaving.

It was about twenty yards from the tree that Iban sat in that the lad's legs gave out and he fell to his knees on the side of the road. Wherever he had come from, he had clearly left in a hurry. He was gasping for air, his clothes where filthy and hadn't a stitch of traveling supplies on him. Not even a pack for food.

He didn't appear injured though, just exhausted.

As he knelt there struggling to get back to his feet he froze.

"Sir? Ma'am? Is there someone there?" he asked between gasping breaths.

He looked frightened, though he clearly hadn't anything worth stealing on him.

____

The stars were and moon were the only light that shone from Iban's soulless black eyes. His mind was elsewhere. Thinking of far off memories he held so near. His mother, his brother, trhat ill fated night... Something foreign grasped his attention. Shuffling noises, earth being moved, foot steps. Iban's ears seem to wiggle to see which way they were coming from. They drew closer and closer until he caught sight of the noise maker: a lad no more taller than his chest. Iban could he was weary and in a rush. "But why rush without any supplies...?" Iban asked himself quietly just as the lad dropped to his knees. No way he was going to make it to where ever he was going in that condition. He slid from his sitting place, his heavy boots impacting the ground with a thud. "I don't mean you any harm." Iban said as soft as his firm voice would allow him as he approached from the darkness and towards the child yet stopping a bit back. "What are you doing out here alone?" He listened to the wind, making sure there was no other around for a possible ambush before focusing on the lad before him.

____

Relief blossomed on the boys face.

"Sir, sir, you have to help me. I need to get to that village. My horse went lame a few mil-"

The color drained from his face as he looked up into Iban's eyes.

"No.. no.. no.." he started to utter as he scooted backwards away from Iban. "Help! Someone help me! Please, help me! I'm out on the road!"

He scooted right back into a fence post along the side of the road, his eyes wide with terror. Whatever it was that had frightened the boy proved too much of a shock for his exhausted body and his expression went lax as unconsciousness stole over him.

From the look of it, the boys shouting had drawn the attention of some of the villagers though. Flickers of candlelight could be seen illuminating the windows of some of the houses up ahead.

____

Iban listened intently as the boy began his speech. His horse, overly exhausted as well only a few miles back. Iban raised his eyebrows in curiosity as the lad's face turned inside out with sheer disgust and shock as if he was reliving some horrible nightmare... "Hey, kid, calm down..." Iban said, taking a step closer to him, extending his hand, the palm faced up as a sign that he indeed want to help the lad. But it did not work.. He could hear noises coming from the village: People coming to investigate. Looking back at the lad, he let out a groan of frustration before sighing. "Oh well, whatever happens, happens." Iban said to himself rather flatly before moving to the boy and kneeling next to him. By now, he could hear the hurried footsteps of the villages behind him. Ibans gaze however was locked onto the boys, slowly picking him up into his arms.

____

"I'm sure I heard it."

"It was probably just an animal."

"It wasn't an animal. I'm telling you, I heard someone screaming for help."

"Well I'm not going out there in the middle of night."

"Me either."

Mutterings of agreement spread through the handful of people who had found their way outside their houses to stand in the street that ran through their small village.

"What if it was one of your boys out there?" a woman's voice interjected. "Or you, what if it was your husband?"

"Running off in the middle of the night won't do anyone here any good either," an older man answered. "We can go check it out once the sun's up. For now, I suggest everyone go back inside, lock their houses up and wait for morning."

"Hey, wait there's someone coming," the woman said as she shielded her eyes from the torch-light to try and make out who it was.

"Who's there?" the older man called out. "Speak up."

The gathered group numbered about seven in total, and they all seemed on edge.

____

Iban shifted the boy in his arms, holding him bridal style as if he had just saved him from a blaze. There was no real rush to get to the local inn where he had already rented a room for the night. Something just told him to exist with the nocturnal darkness just for a little while tonight. Iban could clearly make out the number of voices ahead of him even before coming into view. A number of houses that lined the street had been lighted up from its occupants being awoke and alert. Even by night, Iban could tell there wasn't much to be offered in a small village such as this. Nothing except the simple life and maybe the thrill of a bandit or two. Iban appeared from the darkness holding the boy as he approached the gathered village folk. The man was tall and menacing and nothing about him was inviting; let everyone else tell it. Most times he preferred it that way to those who held no interest in him. "There was someone calling for aid..." Iban began, turning his gaze from the elder man down to the weary child in his arms. "I found him against a fence line not too far away." He paused taking a sigh. "Regardless, I'll tend to him for the night. See that he gets better." The soulless black eyes once again turned onto the elder man and the surrounding villagers to hear their input.

____

"Penas!" a man's voice gasped out as he separated from the others to approach Iban and the boy.

"You know the lad?" the elder man asked.

"He's my nephew, from Estalaya," he explained. "Come quickly, bring him inside," he said as he ushered Iban towards a nearby building.

"I'll fetch the healer," a woman's voice interjected before she turned to hurry down the road.

There was quite the stir now as murmurs of concern passed from ear to ear. What would have driven the lad to brave the night alone, and so far from home. Estalaya was a good two days travel to the north.

____

Iban's head looked between the man and the elder. So, this lad was kin to the middle aged man.

Iban did as he was told, bringing the lad into the simple wooden village home. Softly, the lad was placed into the bed and Iban retreated back to tje main room, where the lad's uncle was. Iban approached him.

"Your nephew, Penas met me on the trail. He said his horse went lame a bit of ways up so he trecked through tje woods by night alone. What can you tell me about Estalaya? Is there anything you know that would cause such a young lad to take arena dangerous journey at moments notice?"

____

The man lingered in the doorway to the room where Penas had been placed and he frowned deeply at Iban's line of inquiry.

"Estalaya is a small village about two days ride north of here," he answered.

The second question went unanswered for the time, as it would seem the man hadn't one to offer. He was just as much in the dark as Iban was.

"Where's that healer," he muttered under his breath before realizing he hadn't so much as told Iban his name, or asked Iban for his own.

"I'm Dimas," he added. "Thank you, for helping my nephew."

____

Iban could tell this man, Dimas as he introduced himself to be really wasn't in a talking mood.

A sigh escaped the man's lips as he nodded a few times at the thanks. "There really isn't much need to thank me, but you are very welcome."

"I do have one last inquiry however. Is there a place I could peacefully get some shut eye for the night? It has been quite a day for me." Iban concluded nothing more could be done at this time until dawn broke and the boy hopefully arose from his slumber.

Back