Overlords and Guardians: IC Thread

Kadaeux

Universe Crafter
KliL5aS.jpg

Magreb: @Isaac

Stories have begun filtering into the lands of the Knights Justicar, whispered by the more poverty stricken folk, stories that the city of Fez has fallen to an army of Giants from Phyria, or that Pirates have conquered it and will now use it as a base and even one that the darkness has risen from beneath the city to consume it in shadow and death.

Paristrionoi: @Sodaguzzler

A black horse ride into your lands followed by ten armsmen, sent from the local lord they beg audience. *Collab*

Lebant: @LimeyPanda

In the nation of Aiakidike a man has begun gathering forces to him to make a pilgrimage to Lebant bearing a sacred vessel of some sort to 'purify' the mountains. The stories that are leaking ahead of his pilgrimage suggest that he will cross through a pass near your territory.

Laszkia: @Drakel

Your people have started reporting dead spots in the woods bordering Antowie, infested with thick, strong and sticky silk webbing, several of your hunters and foresters have already failed to return.

Komagena: @Potatocat

A messenger arrives, his horse half flogged to death and three black arrows sticking from his back, how he has lasted so long it is difficult to tell, more so since while the horse was flogged halfway to death the arrows sent the messenger the rest of the way, fortunately his message pouch remained with him. The message is short, but it's message chilling. "A Hydra attacked the town of Vordevue, please help." Though the arrows indicate that may not be all there is to the tale the dead man is somewhat dead.

Goac a Ougst: @Maxim

Migration! An Orc tribe from the east end of the mountains has been put under pressure from some unnameable horror and has begun a migration to attempt to wrest some of your own lands from you for their own use.

The halls of the Overlord Kherak were strangely opalescent today. Much like the overlord himself, The Mountainous citadel known as the Sky Spear was perhaps rather more pleasant to the eye than most Overlords’ central abode. The Sky Spear was a glorious stone keep, built into the mountains as if crafted by Dwarven hands. Large portions of it were inside of the mountain it resided upon, including the Sky Scourge’s personal abode, his armoured treasure vault, and the very Heart of Evil that the citadel was built around. For some reason or another, Kherak had ordered his castle to be made spotless again; a whim that would perturb those that served as the castle’s staff, but would not cause any open complaints. After all, Kherak was a whimsical creature, and few understood his fancies or dared to speak out against them.

Kherak himself, as well as most of his Captains, were in the central chamber of the Mountainous Castle; standing next to the Heart of Evil. Only these six individuals were trusted with glimpsing the heart, and Kherak conducted his most important meetings here to avoid prying ears. It was the large Lizardfolk, Aspedese, who was speaking at the moment; bringing the others report of a stirring threat. “My lord, this man from Aiakidike brings trouble to the mountains. He wishes to purge the mountains of Lebant…Our mountains. We should crush him!

Kherak listened to the masterful Spy with a keen interest. Truth be told, Kherak was only half-interested in the threat. The Pilgrimage did not sound like it would be a taxing threat, but it would hardly do to let heroes think him anything less than the Scourge that he was. He found himself pouting as he looked over to the second largest figure in the room; Skaan Shadowhand. The Huge ogre looked at the Draconic man with a nod, as he spoke up. “I will muster my soldiers. We will meet him in the pass.

Kherak offered a nod to the Dragon-Ogre, before turning to Thraand, the younger of the two Orcs. “You will prepare a small legion of Orcs. 500 Pikemen and 1000 swordsmen. We will let him enter the pass, and then we will cut off his retreat. Then I will approach this crusader. I would meet the man who would enter my mountains.” The orc offered a reverent nod to Kherak, barely able to hide the thrill of combat. His grin was savage and broad.

Kherak turned to the other two present captains. The human woman in heavy black metal armour bowed her head in reverence to the Mountain King, but Kherak focused once again on Aspedese. “Send word to the Lebanti Empire. Tell them that I will be delivering them an artefact of substantial power in a month; and that I will expect worthy recompense for it. They can pervert it towards their god, if they so desire.” Then, turning to Anastasia, Kherak grinned. “We leave to complete this tonight; and will be gone for likely a week or so. When I return, make sure you’ve chosen me a suitable concubine.

Anastasia nodded, adding through the muffling grate of her helm “Yes, my lord.

Kherak moved to leave the room, before turning back and shouting to Anastasia. "Make sure Val'aash and Grognar are busy; I don't care what they do, just keep readying us for what comes next. I want to keep spreading our wealth and influence. Dismissed, my Champions."

ACTIONS

-Kherak, Skaan, and Thraand have began marching towards the pass that the man from Aiakidike will pass through. They bring with them 200 Dragon Ogres, 500 Orcish Pikemen, and 1000 swordsmen. They intend to block both entrances of the pass (Orcs blocking the rear, with Thraand; Dragon-Ogres, Skaan, and Kherak blocking the main passage.) Kherak intends to parlay with the man from Aiakidike.

-Aspedese is sent to parlay with the Lebanti Empire, offering the artefact that the man from Aiakidike supposedly carries with him for suitable reward.

-Anastasia is being sent out to fulfil the Annual Sacrifice; selecting a beautiful woman to be ‘sacrificed’ to Kherak.

-Val’aash and Grognar are idle this round, focusing on basic recruitment and upkeep of the mines. No work is currently being done to upgrade towns, cities, the main Keep, or farms

The group would notice that they were being watched as they marched. The gaze did not let up even as the gate to the tower opened in front of them, revealing a wrinkly diminutive creature. It gave a short bow with its head to greet the Overlord's guests.

"Greetings to you, Herald of Dorystolon," Knurl said in a somewhat respectful tone. "We welcome you to our humble abode. Please, do come in, and we would prefer it if you keep your weapons sheathed. The Overlord awaits in the throne room."

The Herald's right eyebrow rose marginally, the man was thin and as tall as any elf, and yet he possessed a solidity to his features that only an exceptionally fit human might possess. The way he carried himself was not quite like the stance of a warrior, more like the stance of a dancer, and yet his eyes were as daggers. His gaze piercing.

"Few welcome me into their abode, humble or otherwise. But my business is... not for mere minions." Now he spoke his voice lacked the lilting musicality of the elvish tongues, but it was also not quite a human tongue. One might even have suspected an orcish harshness about his voice and yet it was as deep as any Ogres.

"Yes, yes, of course, far be it from me to question the Lords' business," Knurl said as he began walking inside. "Follow me if you would, I shall lead you the Evilness."

It wouldn't be long before they reached the room the Overlord was waiting and Knurl admitted the Herald inside. The room seemed to be decorated to be as imposing as it could be without the use of expensive crafts. To be exact, the throne room is dimly lit and the sources of light are positioned to cover the majority of the room in shadow. It was at the darkest point of the room that one would see the silhouette of the throne and were it not for the light shining against part of it, one would not notice whether it was occupied or not.

"Hail, Herald," Kaullalr said from his throne as his eyes seemingly attempted to bore hole into the Herald and look underneath the armor. "What service do you require of me this day?"

The Herald didn't seem troubled to be there in the least. "It is a matter of some... delicacy." The Herald said plainly, he seemed to flow around the room, not in any nervousness, there could be no mistaking such an emotion in it, more like a predator studies a new environment.

"The Satrap Garadul has some interests in certain land around Arkadiapolis that the Arch-Chief of the city has also laid claim on, unfortunately the Arch-Chief has already planted three villages in the lands in question,..." He paused purely for effect, "And unfortunately, direct action might inflame a conflict that would most trouble my Satrap's sleep with needless war talks, negotiations and talks of were-gild. In short, we need someone to take care of the villages that cannot be tied to the Satrap."

He stared straight at Kaullalr, "The Satrap doesn't care how you do it so long as those he perceives as squatting on his rightfully claimed land are no longer present. Remove them from the mortal coil, sell them into slavery, start a juggling troupe of handless jugglers, the Satrap cares not, and would prefer not to know their final fate. For this he is willing to arrange for some of his own 'trade caravans' carrying trade goods to... accidentally... route through your lands, not as payment of course, it would be a terrible thing if such a convoy would be raided, but one simply cannot protect merchants who unwisely ignore the men who told them not to travel through bandit country."

And yet, there was no triumph, no gloating, no expression in the Herald's voice at all. The suggestion completely lacked tone.

"I see," Kaullalr nodded. "I shall notify you if there happens to be a clearing in the area. Will that be all?"

The Herald simply shakes his head. "We have nothing further to discuss."

-horizontal line here-

Once the Herald left his domain, Kaullalr considered his move. He had no desire of attracting a Lord's ire in an attempt to gain a favor from another Lord, as such, he would need to do this without leaving evidences of his involvement. Or at the very least, pointing away. Unfortunately that meant he would be unable to mobilize the bulk of his forces. The Overlord briefly considered of informing the Arch-Chief of the Satrap's plan but quickly dismissed it due to the lack of proof and he doubt that even if the Arch-Chief believed him, he would receive as much in return.

Coming to a decision, Kaullalr summoned Knurl and ordered the elderly Minion to send out his spies to the villages. With any luck, there would be some options he could use to sabotage the villages without him having to actually commit his forces.
Dispatching spies to gather info about the villages and Arkadiapolis forces in the vicinity.

Back